Thoria | Teen Ink

Thoria

By kayhey, Saint Paul, Minnesota
kayhey, Saint Paul, Minnesota

The cold breeze brushes past my cheeks. My eyes close. My ears listen closer to the breezing nature nearby. The sight of darkness brings me to my relaxation. Then suddenly, I could feel the presence of someone behind me. It pushes me, making me unstable to balance myself on my toes. Once my feet move to balance out, I quickly turn around with my eyes open and there is Riki. “You scared me!” I say surprisingly by his magic apparence. Our bodies are so close that I loss balance again and swing my hands onto his shoulders to help myself balance. He grabs my arm to help my clumsiness and we both turn towards the beautiful scenery in front.
“What are you doing here?” he looks at me with his hazel eyes. “ What is there to see at Carmela Hilltop?” he asks.
“ The beautiful view” I point to the scenery in front of me.
The view of Feliks city in the winter night is in front of us. We could see the city lights that shines from every corner. They are so bright that the stars are unseeable. The tall beautiful buildings with different designs fill the city with structure. The LED lights on the tallest building, Hilda, blinds my eyes from what’s beyond it. The sound of different cars beeping through the night can be heard from miles away. The smell of different foods with a tint of gasoline from the mufflers fills up my relaxation. I close my eyes again.
“Then why are you closing your eyes? If your point is to look at the view, your eyes shouldn’t be close.” he says. He takes a long deep breath and I know he’s waiting for a reply.
“I was trying to feel the cold breeze. It feels refreshing!” I answer.
I open my eyes to show him what I mean. I lick my pointing finger and reaching it up to the air. Then, I show him the finger. “It dries up my wet saliva quickly. See?” I explain. A thought came into my head just then.
“ Hey, Riki. Do you know what today is?” I ask him mysterious.
“ Yeah, I do. November first. The day you got adopted into that family.” he
reply.
“Yeah, that’s right. So why are you here?” I wonder.
Is he here for me or why is he here, I thought to myself. I have many questions, but without asking I just assume that of course Riki would know where I am, especially today.
He points to the train station and my eyes follow this finger. He hint me that we need to go back home before my curfew hits. “ Let’s go.” he says pulling me. I nod in reply. I glimpse at my watch on my left wrist. It was 10 past 9, just 50 more minutes and it would have past my curfew.
By the time we got into the train, it was 9:25. I look at my ticket and it says we will be at Fruzsina by 9:45. That means, when we get there we will be running home from the station.
The silver bullet looking train finally arrives. I step into the train section and look around to see if anyone was there. No one is in the train. Riki pulls slightly on my right arm and points to the seats by the very far back left corner of the train section.
  “Let’s go sit over there.” He says, going first then I follow.
We sit down on the cold metal bench. There is a silence, just us alone, but it’s normal. We have known each other since childhood, so there’s really nothing to say or tell each other.  Then suddenly I heard Riki fix his voice, which broke the silence.
  “So……” he starts.
  “So when will I stop coming up here?” I finish for him. I was trying to read his mind.
  He looks at me and giggle a little bit. “No”, then he straighten his face for me to understand that he’s being serious now. “When will you stop your mother from abusing you?”  he says quietly.
I become serious. I turn my head up to look at him. His beautiful eyes and dark brown hair draws me in. He’s the most handsome man I ever known.
“I don’t know. All I know is that I can’t get out of that house yet.” I reply.
“Why?!” he suddenly raise his voice. “ You were supposed to be adopted to be in a good family! You went through hell with her! Every year on this day you go to Carmela Hilltop to look at the view? That’s not true?! You go up there to find air, to breathe. Hoping to escape, for someone to save you. We’re here! Your friends. I’m your friend! We can help. If you don’t fight back you’ll just continue to suffer!” He yell at me with anger.
Then there was a silence again. The situation irritates me. It was the same old conversation again. I stare at his terrifying annoyed eyes, thinking of how to reply. I couldn’t think of any words to say; even if I did I couldn’t break the silence. I turn my head away from him. When I turn, I finally notice that it wasn’t only us but three others with us on the train. I didn’t even notice when they got on. By my surprised they didn’t even look at us.
  “I’m talking to you here.” Riki says after he calm down.
  My head turns back towards him. “Sorry.” I say.
  “Sorry.” He reply.
We both turn our direction away from each other and again the silences takes over. The train finally stop at Fruzsina and we both run to our house.
It’s twenty past ten and I’m standing at the door steps of the house I live in. I walk to the back where the window of my room is. I remember that I had put a rope there. I look up at the thick brown rope that is tie to the flagpole next to my window. It’s hanging down towards the green grass at the back yard. Okay, this is it, I say to myself. I reach for it and climb up to the window. I try to open the window to see if I can enter. It easily open and I climb into my room.
Once I got inside, I reach out of the window for the rope. I drag it in and wrap it up. Then suddenly, someone knock at my door. I quickly hid the rope under my bed and lock the window.
  “Open the door.” the person command.
I open the door slightly and poke my head out.
  “Yes, is there something you need mama?” I ask.
She’s in a black and red polka-dot nightgown with her curly dark brown hair tie up. She stares into my eyes, like she’s reading me. Her hand reach you to touch my face.
  “Mama?” I ask again.
She smile. Her hand on my jawline slowly working towards the middle of my face. Her head slightly turns to the left.
  “Mama?” I ask for the third time.
She’s still in silents. So focus on the excuse I need to give her that I didn’t notice her hand reach in the middle of my face. She pushes my face back. I fall flat backwards on my room floor. The door opens wide and the room is visible to the hallway. My feet at the entrance just a few inches away from her feet. Her left foot steps on my left ankle.
  “Ah! What are you doing, get off me?!” I raise my voice a little bit louder than just a inside voice, while trying to sit up.
She puts pressure into it, making me quietly scream. I stare forcefully into her eyes as I am leaning my elbow toward the floor behind me, and then she leans in. She works her way to my ears and whisper, “You see. You were twenty minutes late. I told you that your curfew is ten pm straight. And how dare you sneak in my house like a stray cat. For you to live here, what did I say? You must follow my rules. And you broke them.” She puts more pressure than before. And I scream in pain a little bit louder this time, a small squeal come out. Inside, I’m begging for help, but no one comes to see the cruel scene.
As I look down to get away from her ugly disgusting face, I scrunch my face to hold the pain inside me.
  “One” she continues, “You didn’t come back in time for your curfew. And two. You didn’t listen to me.”
Her cold hands touch my chin and force me to look at her eyes.
  “Look at me when I’m talking to you.”
I look at her. My eyes feel with pain and anger stares at her eyes. “Good. I’ve finally got your attention.” Her left foot remove from my ankle. “What do you want?” I ask. She walks around my small room and looks at my things. My eyes follow her every movement. She sits on my bed and crosses her legs.
  “Well, the thing is I’ve receive a letter today about Jay. and it’s from the military.” she says and then throws the letter at me. I turn my body around to face her and grab the letter that fell on the ground. “You know what to do right, Kay? I mean Jay?” She says, then stands up and walk out of my room.
I quickly crawl to my door and shut it. Struggling to standing up, I finally got on top of my bed with the letter in my hand. I lay down with my feet hanging off. I open the letter.
  It says: Dear the Kumme Residents. This is a letter from the Feliks military. This year is the year we gather new soldiers again to train for the war. The White War is still currently going on, and we are in need of more brave soldiers to join the military. This year we did not receive much volunteers, therefore we have chosen to use the volt again to choose our new brave soldiers. The volt has chosen, Kumme Jay as a tribute to join us. We thank you ahead of time for the willingness of having your son with us. Please come to the capital hall on November 12 to register your son. Thank you and have a wonderful day. Sincerely, Gertie, the Chief Commander.
I sigh. I sigh again. I sigh louder. I hate my life.