Bad Business | Teen Ink

Bad Business

By Kb515, republic, Missouri
Kb515, Republic, Missouri

Author's note:

What inspired me to write this book was my team

It was late fall and the leaves were falling all around creating piles of leaves all over my yard so I hired a guy by the name of John Winthrop he was a creepy looking guy but he was a hard worker. I knew him from when we went to school together for about a year before I graduated and started my career as a detective here in Texas. I would have cleaned the leaves up myself but I'm a busy guy so I hire people to do stuff like clean the pool and gutters little stuff that I can do but don't have the time. John was told that I would be back on my break in about 3 hours to pay him and he agreed so I left off to work at 10:34 AM. it wasn't busy so I took off around 12:45 PM and headed back to my house to see that John's car was still in the driveway so I jumped out my car and since no one was in the front yard and the leaves were gone I went around to the back and there was a mountain of leaves in the corner and scattered around the back but there was no John so  went to check the doors, they were locked and only I had a key so I called him up to get put to voicemail in which I said since the backyard isn't all the way done I will only pay him half until it is complete.
I went to see if he was in the truck but it was locked other than the back small window which was open a little and had blood on it so my detective instinct went off and I started to look in the truck and around it. I found a shoe in the bed of the truck along with some blood and I found a ring by the driver side door. I followed a little trail back to the backyard and found blood on the leaves leading up to a pile of more leaves so I took a rake and poked at it and found nothing. I decided to walk into my house but I heard a thud outside so I ran and found John He was being taken in a blue van that had letters on the side that looked like they were scrapped off it said ats.inc
I started my lawn and home care business when I was 23 and have ran it into a big business one of the top until I got involved with the mafia my name is John Winthrop. I got involved with them and now I owe them lots of money so I went on the run but I needed money so when an old friend hit me up to do his lawn I jumped at it I showed up at 10 and he said he would be back in about 3 hours so I got to work about an hour in I got all of the leaves done and had to do the back so I took all the leave filled bags into the backyard when I saw a car that was sitting in a driveway but had two men sitting in it looking at me I realized the same van had been there since I got here. I started to hear whispers so I began to panic and I heard a low voice behind me say ¨you got the money¨ I turned around to see two giant men standing there looking at me. The biggest one had a crowbar so I decided to run but they were right behind me so I took a garbage bag and ripped it throwing it at him trying to create space but as soon as I got to the fence door I was hit busting my mouth open I ran to the car but i locked it I decided to try to get in from the back after I looked back and saw they tripped but that was no luck and my blood went everywhere so I got out but my shoe fell off but I booked it to the side of the house and climbed on the roof and that's when I heard Mike pull up and yell for me and I saw the two guys under me.
  I jumped into my car and chased after the van calling the cops but pulled off when they opened the back and shot at my car filling the front with bullet holes. The cops met me at my house and my division was put on the case but the cops decided I needed to be questioned in order for me to work the case so after they got my story I was put to work. I stayed up all day and night trying to figure out what happened and bits by bits I put it together. I learned that John was involved with Italian mafia but I couldn't figure out why until I started going into his business files and history. The team learned that he was going into debt and took out a loan of one million but did not pay for about a year but had a sudden rocket in money buying a new truck, paying off his loan, and then buying a house worth 3 million but he was working for a different lawn care business as an employee then a popular name came up Reed Capone al Capone's grandson which immediately told us he was tied in with the mafia. A call came out over the radio saying they found a body in a river and that our unit show and give a public announcement about the body. I showed up and was told that the body was John and was showed the body but the body was not John it was a guy who looked like him but was not him due to a tattoo on the bodies neck.
I told my commander Phil Sung and he said he knew but he had a negotiation with the mafia that John would have to work for them or he would die and we get him back after he pays off his debt and was told if the cops intervened that there would be a war between them and us. I told him this is crazy and that he had to contact a higher up but he wasn't having it so he said either go out there and give the speech or I was fired. I got out in front of the biggest crowd I had ever seen and said: “ I'm here today to tell everyone about the unfortunate loss of John Winthrop who has died from unknown causes at this time.” I knew something was going on with the department due to the fact that Phil was negotiating with the mafia so when everyone left the department to go home I snuck into the commander's office to search for clues. I found his computer and went to one of the strange browsers to find a chat full of mafia dealings and money exchanges going from the Reed mafia into the department.The lights turned on as I took a picture on my phone I tiptoed over to the cubicle window to see Phil walking over and Locked the door then booked it to the window as silent as I could it popped open and I began to climb down when the door flung open causing me to slip from the railing falling into the tree then into the bushes I could see Phil look out the window but he couldn't see me so I tried to get up but found a stick buried into my leg so I pulled it out and hobbled to the side of the building and got on my phone to find all the photos were so blurry you couldn't even make out the computer.
Phil began to lock his door and put his computer in his safe so I decided I would break into his safe and get the proof so I can expose him and save John. Phil left the office for his break so I went into his office and locked the door I got to the safe and it was still locked I took out my crowbar and started to pry at the safe open when I took my flashlight and saw the computer so I prayed harder when it finally popped that's when I heard a voice and the door started to bang I got the computer and opened the window to climb up the side I heard the glass breaking so I jumped onto the balcony then ran into the next room over and hid in the closet. I got the flash drive off and started to put screenshots and recording into it when I heard doors breaking open then it was my door I had 30 seconds then all the data was transferred so I took a shirt and wrapped it around my face. I had 5 seconds to go and he was walking over to the closet so when he opened it with a second to go I kicked him in the chest making him fly backwards onto the glass coffee table smashing it into millions of pieces. The data transferred so I took the flash drive then threw the computer and jumped out the second story window bolting over to a taxi then a pay phone and reported the crime to the FBI.Phil was arrested and taken to jail where he is set to serve 30 years and John was let free by the mafia after the FBI raided their base and arrested everyone except for reed Capone. I was promoted to the head of the detective vision and plan to stay for awhile.

THE END!