Sock Theif | Teen Ink

Sock Theif

By tw1234, Pheonix, Arizona
tw1234, Pheonix, Arizona

Author's note:

there is cat

no

It was like any other Thursday in Bennie Clark’s life, that is laundry day.  Bennie Clark was walking down the hallway to the public laundry room in his little apartment complex , carrying a basket full of clothes.  When he got there, he opened the stark white washing machine, and put the clothes in, along with a cup full of glistening detergent.  After slamming the washer’s door shut, he began walking back towards his apartment.
  Bennie Clark was a brilliant young man, and he had just recently graduated a four year top notch university.  He had wiry black hair, and blazing blue eyes.  He had two animals at his apartment, one dog and one cat.  His cat was a Sphynx, and his name was Osiris, named after the Egyptian god.  His dog was a golden retriever, and his name was Winston.  All seems normal right, but there is a catch.  His animals can talk just like me or you.  Now you might be wondering to yourself “How can they talk”, but that’s another story for another time.
Bennie walked into his apartment and sat down on his only couch in front of his only T.V.  He turned on his gaming console and began to play his favorite video game, Pac Man.

*                                        *                                             *

Bennie began to take his clothes out of the dryer, and he hauled them back to his apartment.  After dumping them out on his only table, he started folding his only clothes.  After folding all his clothes he noticed something extraordinary, he was missing exactly one sock from every pair of socks he owned.  Now of course this would be troubling to anyone, but this was extra troubling to Bennie, because, as you could've guessed, he was almost completely broke.  Right then and there he decided that he would find out what happened to his socks, even if it was the last thing he did.
He determined that he would start off his investigation as any good investigator would, by interrogating all possible witnesses.  He cautiously walked over to Winston, who was furiously panting , and asked him “Have you seen anything particularly peculiar today.”  Winston stopped panting for a second and pondered what had just been said. 
“What’s peculiar mean,” Winston asked.  Even though he could talk, he wasn’t very bright.
“It means strange or ….,” Bennie stopped and thought about what words he could use to describe peculiar.  “Weird” he finally decided. 
“Ohhhhh,” Winston said, “now that you mention it, I was looking for Osiris for almost an hour, I couldn’t find her anywhere.”
“Do you know where Osiris is right now?” Bennie questioned. 
“No,” he replied promptly.
“Interesting,” muttered the intelligent young man.

After much search Bennie managed to find Osiris sitting outside the public laundry room.  She was sitting there grooming herself with a smug look on her face  “What are you doing out here, Osiris,” he questioned. 
Osiris almost jumped out of her skin, and she quickly muttered “Oh n-nothing”.
“Where were you earlier, Winston was looking all over for you” he asked.  Bennie was beginning to catch on to what happened to his socks.
“I was hanging out with my cat friends,” Osiris said slowly.
“Do you know anything about some missing socks,” he asked.
Osiris’s eyes got big and her hair stood on end, and after several seconds she answered quietly, “no,”  avoiding eye contact.
“Do you mind coming home with me, Osiris,” he proposed. 
To this she responded by running away as fast as she could, screaming “I stole your socks,” .  Bennie ran after her, and eventually cornered her in a dark alley.  She tried to jump over the walls, but they were too tall.  He grabbed her and began to walk home.

Bennie began to interrogate Osiris back at his apartment. “Where are my socks, and why did you steal them,”
“I won’t answer, and nothing can make me answer” she hissed at him.
“I figured as much” he mumbled fumbling through a black bag, and he pulled out a clear ziploc bag filled with catnip.  Osiris’s eyed got wide, she understood what the stakes were.  “I will give you all of this if you tell me where my socks are” he said.
“Alright, Alright” she purred, the smell of the catnip was taking its effects.  “I was going to sell them, they are behind the dryer,”  She went to grab the precious catnip, but he put it out of her reach. 
“You can have it, but you are grounded inside for the next month,” he insisted.
“Month” she cried, “what will my cat friends think?”
“Maybe next time you won’t steal my socks, you scoundrel,” he replied.

After that success, Bennie was walking down to the public laundry room to get his socks.  He got there, and looked behind the dryer to claim his possessions back.  To his surprise there was nothing there but a dust bunny and the power outlet.  Just then he heard his apartment door slam shut, and the pitter patter of Osiris running away.  What am I going to do that darn cat, he thought,  she got off with my socks and the catnip.