Shooting..not pics | Teen Ink

Shooting..not pics

By MachoNacho BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
MachoNacho BRONZE, Erie, Colorado

Jack turned and saw the man with the gun come around the corner. The man picked up the gun….BAM!!! The glass door behind him crumbled like stale bread. Jack crawled through the broken glass to get inside the station. He started to run through the station  screaming “HELP!! SOMEONE IS SHOOTING AT ME!!!” Jack slid behind a counter trying to regain his breath. Finally it hit him, where is everyone? The station was empty. But everything was left on, the lights, computers, T.V. It looked like a tornado swept through the station. Papers everywhere, cups of coffee were spilled all over the floor, chairs and desks were all misplaced. What happened? It looked like everyone just stopped and left.  Jack had no idea what happened. All he knew was that he had to find help, or find a way to fight back.

Jack peeped over the counter that he was hiding behind. A light was flickering by the broken door. Jack knew he had to find something to fight back with, maybe a pair of scissors? Or a stapler? Then Jack realized, HE WAS IN A POLICE STATION!! Maybe the armory was unlocked or something. All he had to do was find the armory and pray that it was unlocked. Jack knew that the armory would be hard to get to, he didn’t know exactly where it was, but he knew it had to be in the back of the basement or something.  Jack was getting ready to make his move for the basement door. All he needed was to make sure the coast was clear.

Something didn’t seem right, the shooter wasn’t far behind him. Why hadn’t the shooter walked inside yet? Whatever the reason was, he didn’t care. Jack looked around trying to find a door to the basement. From his position he couldn’t see anything. On the floor next to Jack was a binder labeled “Fire Escape Routes”. He flipped through the pages and found a map. Finally he was able to find a route to the basement. One final check, he popped back up and looked left and right. FInally he got up and ran around the corner and found the door to the basement. Just down the stairs and two doors to the right. It didn’t occur to him until he got down there, but what if it was locked? He didn’t have time to worry about that.

Finally he reached the door. It was closed. Jack was so upset, what was he going to do now?! He had no idea what to do and he was getting more upset by the second. Finally he got so angry that he grabbed a chair next to him, and chucked it at the door. Turns out the door wasn’t closed all the way and the door swung open. Jack was shocked, he went inside the armory and closed the door. He found a light switch and flipped it. The lights came on and there was a mess every where. The light was flickering and there were empty magazines and papers everywhere. There wasn’t much left in the armory, Jack would be lucky to find a stray bullet on the ground.
Jack checked every locker, every box, and every drawer...nothing.  The only spot he didn’t check was the desk in the corner of the room. Jack walked over and sat in the chair, he opened the top drawer. Sitting there was a standard issue Glock 9mm pistol. Jack never held a gun before but he’d played enough video games to figure it out. Jack grabbed the gun and ran for the door. He opened the door and turned to find a shadow standing at the top of the stairs. He had no idea who it was, but he didn’t like it. He saw the shadow raise its arms as if it was aiming at him. With quick instincts Jack raised his gun. BAM! BAM! Two shots went off and both Jack and the shadow fell to the ground.