Vacation? | Teen Ink

Vacation?

By Nicole2511, NEW HOPE, Pennsylvania
Nicole2511, NEW HOPE, Pennsylvania

Author's note:

My Creative Writing teacher Karen Deyo encouraged me to write this story.

Holly, Jack, Chris, and Jessie were best friends in high school and try to keep up with each other. They love to explore, every five years they like to save money and go on an adventure. The past times they went to Paris, Dominican Republic, and the Great Wall of China. They work really hard to get the money to go on these trips. Jessie works a full time job as a doctor. Holly works a job as a scientist discovering new medicines every day. Jack and Chris work different places each week. One week they worked as veterinarians another as gold miners. As you can see they come and go.
   As Jessie pulled into the airport she was feeling a little scared, but she didn’t know why. She thought to herself is it because she was scared her friend’s appearances have changed over the past five years? Or was it because she was scared their feeling have changed for each other in this time period? She got to the part of the food court where they were meeting at and finally she saw Holly.
  She had a long skinny body. Her long black hair looked like it was perfectly brushed into one hundred strokes. Her eyes were a hazel color and swears they are green. Her voice was low as she called to Jessie and said “Jessie over here! How have you been?” As Jessie was shocked to see her changes she hugged her and replied “Not too bad! You have changed a lot!” She giggled and said “Don’t act like you haven’t either.” Jessie responded “So…. how is life?” She commented “It’s been great! Did I tell you I have a boyfriend?” Jessie shockingly said “No… You haven’t mentioned anything about that.”
As their conversation was growing deeper they were interrupted by two familiar men. One of them with a deep voice said “Have you seen any girls that were looking to go to the Amazon, because I have two free tickets here? Holly and Jessie laughed and Jessie said “No I haven’t seen anyone around, Chris, but we are free for the month.” Jack was trying to hold back a laugh and said “Well can’t argue with that.” They all hugged each other and we connected just like they did a long time ago. Jack had short wavy blonde hair. His eyes were so blue Holly thought she could see the clear ocean water through them. He wasn’t very tall but at the same time he wasn’t short.
Chris however was pretty tall. He had chestnut brown hair along with his eyes. He seemed as though he was very healthy. By the time they were getting on the plane Holly insisted she had to sit with Jack because they had a lot of catching up to do, or so she said. Chris could hear from the seats behind them Holly’s outgoing personality. At first Chris and Jessie were very awkward, but they started warming up to each other. As they were catching up he was telling me about his life. Jessie was surprised to hear how much happened in a time span of five years. Jessie told him what her goal in life was (Finish my doctoring degree before starting anything else.) He said “I don’t understand how you can shut out relationships to focus on one thing.” Jessie didn’t agree.
  After that they didn’t talk much, in fact, it was silent for the rest of the flight.   They finally arrived into Honolulu the capitol of Hawaii! As they found their hotels Holly shouted “Jessie and I call the big room!” Jack replied “Not so fast, whoever gets there first!” As he said that Jessie bolted ahead of everyone and opened the door to a big room and she thought why were they making a big deal out of this room? Jessie was then lost in thought when she heard Holly scream out of breath “GOOD job Jessie!” Jack was fairly disappointed.
   After they got changed they were scheduled to go on a hike up the volcanos. They got on a ship and sailed to the island. As they waited for the tour guide, Jack and Chris were going off about how they are taking too long to get here. Holly and Jessie were handed four maps. After they stopped fussing Holly handed them each one. Jack then said “Who needs a tour guide when you have a map?” Jack took all of there maps and put them in his bag. Chris had a sly smile on his face and spoke out “We don’t need a tour guide lets takes the maps and go!” Holly totally thought this was a good idea. Jessie wasn’t so sure. But she suddenly had to make a decision and blabbered out “This will be fun!” She didn’t  know why she said that.
She could tell this was a bad idea but she didn’t want to be a Debbie Downer. The mountain was big, it had a small jungle around the outside of the volcano. You can’t see the volcano unless you are at the top. After they got a mile up the trail Holly said “Stop, I need a break” They all laughed and Chris said, “There is a small waterfall there let's go under it.” Everyone agreed so they started to walk to it.
  After they cooled off Holly said “So who has the map?” Chris said “Not to worry it’s in Jacks backpack.” So they all walked back over to the trail and they didn’t see his bag. Holly started to worry, she angrily said “Where is the trail?” Jack was mumbling about how he put the bag here. Then he laughed it off and replied “Oh I remember where it is, it is on the other side of the waterfall.” They all had a doubtful look on their faces. After wandering for ten minutes. Jack finally said “I don’t know where we are or where the bag is.”   Holly was panicking quietly. Chris was so still and finally broke the silence “Let's go back down to the tour shop.” Jessie disagreed with him, and replied “I don’t think we should we don’t know our way back down and something can happen, I say we go up and try to find the volcano. Then we find a trail down.” Holly confidently said “I second that.” Jack said “Well who doesn’t like a challenge! Let's go to the volcano!” They wondered off.
Jessie could tell Chris didn’t agree with the plan. After walking a couple of more miles they ran into a huge cliff that had a large log across it. They decided we needed to go across if we were going to get to the volcano. The log was really long and thick. They decided what was the worst that could happen? They didn’t know who would go first. Jessie figured one of the boys would volunteer but they didn’t. That’s how she ended up on the log first. She was like shark bait, everyone was waiting to see if it was safe. Jessie got across perfectly fine when she heard “Holly your turn!” said Jack. Holly was obviously hiding that she was nervous but I knew deep down she was.
  Holly softly said “Fine” She was their next shark bait. As Holly was going across Jessie heard a quick snap and down she went. It was almost like it went so fast that it was slow. Everyone heard a small scream. Everything around Chris was blurry he felt like this was his fault, was it? Chris quickly dialed 911, but he couldn’t get any reception. Jessie went down to place where Holly fell, she was unconscious. Jack worried so much about her. Jack and Jessie picked her up and they started running down the mountain like there was no tomorrow. After running for about 3 miles they started to see the ocean. They didn’t realize how tired they were until I stopped running.
We found a nice couple and asked them for help. They called a ship down to bring her to the hospital. Jessie, Chris, and Jack didn’t know what was going to happen. Chris and Jack were already talking like she was going to die. Jessie just wanted to know how she was. As they went to the hospital after Holly, so many thoughts were running through Jacks mind. How far did she fall? He thought. How did she land? It happened so fast he didn’t even know. They  finally arrived at the hospital. they saw Holly lying on the hospital bed. Chris asked the doctor what he thought about her. He said “She will be okay due to the way she landed. When she landed on her head…. I don’t know how to say this, except that it was a miracle.” We was so happy she was okay. Jessie started crying. They still wonder what happened and how she lived.