The Scamp | Teen Ink

The Scamp

By isaac.fitzz, Grand Rapids, Michigan
isaac.fitzz, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Author's note:

A friend and I wrote this, he wrote the first half, I wrote the ending. 

The Scamp. That’s the only description you need for the boy, to know who he is. David has been stealing from the midtown vendors. But he’s not the worst thing to terrorize this kingdom. Recently, there had been this organisation, the Hud. They are an group of thieves, bandits, pirates. It’s gotten to the point where they receive offerings so that the people aren’t stolen from as often. And if the Hud is not pleased by these offerings, you just kind of disappear. But The Scamp know’s where they go. He’s been there.
David was just taking a stroll with his sister Lila. This was before he was known as The Scamp. The boy and his sister were on a trip to the port to see their parents off. That’s when they were intercepted by a band of pirates. Cutlasses draw, David was armed with only a scaling dagger for he was only a fisher boy. His nine inch blade was nothing compared to the three foot blades of the seven attackers. He was quickly battered and beaten. They took Lila as their prize. He woke up with no money and many wounds, but the thing that brought him the most sadness was the loss of his sister.
Four years later, after the pirates, had taken over, he took another stroll down the street. He had made a decision to have a full party attack. The plan was to sneak into the ranks of the Hud; they would split up and beat the pirates at their own game. The thing that David had not told them was that he wasn’t there to disband the pirates, but to find his sister. As they got into position, one of the guards alerted the high ranking thieves. Validus, King of the thieves ordered for them to be caught and executed. David and his band were caught, and jailed. Throughout the day he had been scheming, thinking of a plan of escape; digging, climbing chiseling, anything. Anything that would get him out. Later, a girl came by with dish, his final dish; a sandwich. He didn’t look at the servant, just grabbed the sandwich and took a bite. There was something off about the chunk of sandwich. There was something hard inside like a bone. He looked inside and knew exactly how he was getting out.
There was a note that read ~Luke~ and ~MeeT uS Wh-----ou ThiNk yOu cAn~ scribbled as if in a hurry and he had accidentally bitten the wh-ou. Wrapped inside was a pen, probably the same one used to write this note. Quickly, David took the pen apart, bent the pen point, and lodged it into the keyhole.
He stepped out into the corridor and quietly closed the door behind him. He felt the breath of the guard before he heard it. The Scamp whipped around only to feel a sharp pain and everything to go black.
“Wake up!” He felt a slap and his head lolled to the side. His eyes opened to slits through which he saw a dimly lit throne room. The King of Thieves was sitting on a throne made of gold, jewels and bones. David was hanging by his arms, chained to the wall. “Boy! How dare you break into my keep. Mine!” the King shouted. “You have entered this sacred place to destroy what I have worked so hard to create. Now you will pay.”
The guard came over, unlocked the chains and the Scamp fell to the floor. As he stumbled up he was handed a sword. He looked at it confused, and then at the guards. They were drawing a circle on the floor in chalk. He whipped his head around in bewilderment. What is happening?! He thought.
The King took of his fur coat and his gloves. He pulled his jeweled studded blade from its sheathe. “The rules are simple boy,” he snarled. “We will fight. Leave the circle and my friends here,” gesturing to the guards, “will skin you. Stay in and fight. Only one of us will leave alive.”
The Scamp grinned. He knew. He just knew that this old man’s ego was going to get him killed. He took a fighting stance and eyed him down. Then without warning, he threw his sword at the King. Startled he dove out of the way, but not before the Scamp was on top of him, kicking away his sword. Using the pen he used to escape from the cell he held the point against the old man’s throat. “Where,” he breathed heavily, “is my sister.”
“Do it,” said the king leaning his head into the pen. “You won’t you coward.”
“Where is she!”
“She served your meal, stupid boy, don’t you remember? Or were you too busy worrying about yourself?”
A guard came in, holding Lila by her hair. She kicked and shouted.
Within an instant, the Scamp had the King of Theives up and his jeweled sword against his throat. “Let her go.”
The guard’s eyes darted from his king to the Scamp. Then he shoved Lila forward. And ran.
David knocked out the King with the pommel of the sword and dove to his sister on the ground. “Lila are you okay? I’m so sorry I did everything I could to find you I just...I..” He started to sob.
“David, is that you?” She said quietly, reaching up to touch his face.
“Yeah, Lila it’s me. I’ve got you.”