Strictly Business | Teen Ink

Strictly Business

February 5, 2017
By Amari19, Tiffin , Ohio
More by this author
Amari19, Tiffin , Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    “Karen if you don't hurry up, we are going to be late,¨ my dad yelled.
¨I’m coming! Hold your horses!¨ My mom yelled back.
My parents are always like this when they are going on a business trip. And I mean ALWAYS. My parents get really paranoid, they always think they are going to be late.
¨Okay Tristian, we are leaving, you know the deal. No parties, maximum of two friends in the house, and no girls, got it?¨ My my mom asked sternly. My mother, she’s a strict one, you break one rule, she thinks it’s the end of the world. I say yes to all the rules they say, and they are on their way.
    I watch them leave the driveway, to the point where their car has disappeared. Once the car has disappeared, I hit up my friend Luke to say I’m having a party.
“Hey Luke, find as many people as you can, I am having a party at my place TONIGHT, got it?¨ I asked like I was a military general.
¨You got it man,¨ he says nonchalantly. I hang up, and prepare my house for the party. My house is pretty big for a party. The inside is beautiful, shiny hardwood floors, soft, plush carpet. In the kitchen, marble counters all the way around. I absolutely love this house. The house doesn’t need cleaning, I just need food for the party. So I get in my car, and head to the closest gas station nearby. I go in, and grab stuff like: Oreos, chips, varieties of sodas, etc. As I keep looking for stuff, I run into A.J. Miller. A.J. stands for Amanda Jane.
¨Hey Tristan, so I hear you are having a party tonight?¨ She asked seemingly excited.
¨Uh yeah, are you going to be there?¨ I asked nervously. I get really nervous around girls, especially around A.J., that’s because I like her. She has long, luscious, brown hair, and beautiful green eyes.
¨Yeah, I can’t wait,¨ she says. I go to the checkout, pay for my snacks, and head home. As soon as I pull up in my driveway, I realized something. A.J. Miller is coming to my party. I run out of my car like i was the Flash, and head up stairs. I go to my closet, and try to find some clothes that’ll make me look good. Once I have, I go back down stairs to continue preparing for this party.
    Ten O'clock is approaching, and people start ringing the doorbell. I turn on music that everyone likes, and start letting people in. People start saying ¨Oh yeah!¨ or ¨I love this song!¨ as they step in the doorway. I just leave the door open that way people can just walk in. I turn around, and there she is. A.J. Miller, wearing light washed skinny jeans, and a crop top from Aeropostale.
¨Hey Tristan, nice party,¨ she says sweetly.
    ¨Uh, thanks,¨ I say really shyly.
    ¨Do you wanna dance?¨ She says loudly over the music.
    ¨Sure,¨ I say with a smile on my face.
We go to the living room where everyone is dancing, then we start to dance. I have to admit, I’m not the type of person who dances at dances, or even at parties. But I was actually having fun, dancing with A.J. was probably the best time of my life.
    Before you know it , it’s six O’clock in the morning. I sit up, and look around, the house is completely trashed. Cans of pop everywhere, crumbs all over the floor, there even people on my floor. By the time I actually get up it’s seven fifteen, on a Sunday. Then I realized that my parents come back from their business trip today. So I run around the house, cleaning like it’s my last day to live, which in fact if my parents came home to a mess like this, it will be my last day to live. By the time I finish, it’s eight forty-five, so they should be home any minute. I tried giving them a call, but it went right to voicemail. They never have their phones off. So I try not to worry, and head upstairs to go back to bed.
    Five O’clock by the time I wake up, I check my phone to see if my parents have called. They didn’t. So I head downstairs, to see if they were home. They weren’t. The house looks how I left it at nine this morning. I tried calling my mom again, straight to voicemail. I tried calling my dad again, no answer. Now I’m starting to worry, they are usually home by now. What is taking them so long? I called their Business place,
¨Uh, yeah hi this um, Karen’s and Mark’s son, Tristan, I was just wondering when they will be back from their business trip?¨ I asked really nervously
¨Yes hi, your parents have left the business trip early this morning, they should already be home.¨ The desk lady says calmly.
¨Thank you,¨ sounding politely and worried at the same time. The desk lady says you’re welcome, then hangs up. Now it’s six O’clock, now  I’ve had it, I am going to drive up to wherever they went to, and find them. Luckily they left a note saying where they were going to be. The note says ¨1232 Southern Lane, Park city Utah.¨ Which is like a 2-3 hour drive. I pack all the things I’m going to, and get in my car.
Before I embark on this long car ride, I’m just praying that they are okay. Before I start my car, I call Luke to see if he wants to come, I do not want to go alone. When I asked him, he said yeah, give me ten minutes. Which is enough time to give me gas, once I do, I go and pick up Luke.
    ¨Yo, What’s up with the last minute drive?¨ He asked very concerned.
    ¨My parents, I think they are missing,¨ I say looking out the window.
    ¨What! Why didn’t you tell me earlier? This is crazy, oh my god!¨ He screams.
I didn’t answer and started on our way to Park city.
    An hour into the drive, Luke asked where we were going, and when I told him Park city, he sighed and turned on the radio. I’m glad he turned the radio on, because I hate driving in silence. It gives me the sense that something bad is going to happen. We are half an hour away from Park city, so I wake up Luke. Once he’s awake, I tell him to put 1232 Southern Lane into the GPS, which is another ten minutes to the drive.
Once we get to Park city, I wake up Luke once again, and tell him to look out the window. Park city is so beautiful. The tall building, all the lights, the music blaring in the streets. I wouldn’t mind living in a city like this. We are five minutes away from the building, and let me tell you this thing is huge. I would say it’s about 70 stories high, glass all the way around, it kinda looks like the Willis Tower in Chicago, but smaller. I walk in, and go right up to the desk.
“Hi, I’m looking for Karen, and Mark Miller?” I ask kind of annoyed by this point.
“Are you Tristan?” she asked.
“Uh yeah?” Now I’m scared.
“Come with me, tell your friend you’ll be right back, we’ll only be gone for 5-10 minutes,” she claimed. I said okay and I go back to tell Luke that the Lady wants to talk to me alone, and that I will be right back. He nods, and I go back to the lady.
This lady and I went to a Janitor's closet at the back of the building.
    “Hi Tristan, my name is Kate, and I brought you here for a very important reason.
I nod my head and she continues.
    “It’s about your parents,” She sounded upset.
Now I’m really scared, to the point where I’m almost in tears.
    “After they left the business meeting Sunday, they went to grab something to eat. After they went to get something to eat, they were going to go home. Well, about an half an hour into the drive, a drunk driver blew through a stop sign, and struck your parents vehicle head on.” She cried
I have no words. I honestly have no idea what to say. After standing there for a minute I say something.
    “Are they in the hospital?” Debating if I want an answer to this question or not.
    “I’m afraid not, since they were struck head on, they were killed instantly. When the medics arrived, there was nothing they could do.”
I run out of the closet, bawling my eyes out. I tell Luke to come on and so I can get out of here. The amount of feelings that I have are unreal. Like I can’t do this anymore, why would anybody want to keep this from me, I’m literally so mad right now.
    “What did that lady say?” Luke asked
    “My parents, my parents are dead,” at this point tears are rolling down my face.
    “Oh my god dude, I’m so sorry,” he says looking down at his shoes.
I don’t say anything, and start the car. I just want to go home. Now that I’m thinking, I am by myself. This gigantic house my parents bought, and I’m the only one living in it.
As soon as I get home, I stand at the front door. I just don’t know what to do with myself. My parents are who I look up too, they were my role models. I walk in my house and take a look around, I wouldn’t be here without my parents. But I guess this is life, my parents have taught me to do what I have to do. I hope they are just looking down on me, I honestly cannot believe they’re gone.
1 month goes by, and I’m doing okay. Since I can’t afford the house on my own, I’ve decided to get my own apartment. Of course I had to get a job. Since my parents have been gone, it has been a lot harder to be an “adult” at sixteen. Like, now I have to pay bills, and everything. I have to manage all my bills, my job, and school, all by myself, but I’m managing to do it. This is what my parents have taught me. They have prepared me for this moment in life. And I’m thankful that they did.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.