The Detective | Teen Ink

The Detective

January 14, 2017
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I was inspired by movies about spies and action. That is what kind of movies I love so I decided to write about what i love. 

I stood upon a cliff and gazed onto the crystal clear water as I remembered my mission.  I am a detective.   My name is Adam Porter and this is my story. I was born in Paris, France into a pretty poor family.  We had little money and limited resources.  I didn’t have any siblings.  My parent’s were American and moved to Paris when I was a year old.   My parent’s names were Jack and Emily. They died when I was four in a boating accident.   I got sent to a foster home and I went to school.  When I was old enough, I traveled to the United States and enlisted in the navy.   I had many training missions.    The sergeants there were impressed with me and how I was so athletic and how I handled a gun.   One day I got called to a big white room with a table and a chair in the center of it.   A man approached me with my sergeant by his side.   He wore a black suit with a bird pin on it and had a very serious look on his face.   He told me his name was Doctor Jones and that he was from a secret agency called the IOA (Intelligent Operatives Agency).   Jones was a nice man that seemed to really care about me.   He said that I could trust him.   He asked me some questions about my life and I answered them truthfully.   Then he pulled something out of his pocket and took a tool that inserted a chip into my arm.  Before I could ask any questions guards came into the room and escorted me out.  

I moved back to Paris two weeks after my meeting with Doctor Jones.  One year later, I got a call from the IOA.  They wanted to see me so I took a train and went to London.   Doctor Jones greeted me at the entrance and we walked through the facility until we reached a hallway with many doors.   We walked down the hallway until we reached a black door with a silver handle.   Inside stood a woman.  She was beautiful.  She had red hair and green eyes and wore black jeans; black combat boots, and a purple shirt with a black bomber jacket over it.   Her name was Melanie Kimble.   Doctor Jones said that she was there to help me.   He left the room and I sat down in comfortable black chair in the corner.   Melanie explained to me that the chip Doctor Jones put into me last year was a way to track me and to give me help on missions.   As one of the affects of it she said that I would twitch when I sensed danger was near.  Melanie then brought up a subject I didn’t think I would hear about again: my parents boating accident.   She said that it wasn’t an accident and that somebody was behind the killing of my parents.   She said that she would help me in any way she could to find out who was behind the killing.    I stayed in the facilities dorms until the mission began.   I trained in the gym for a month to build up some strength.   After the month passed, Melanie, Jones, and I met in that same room with the black door.   Doctor Jones wished me luck on my mission and presented me with a gun, some supplies and a duffle bag full of clothes and some gear to help me along the way.   The gear included: an earpiece, a cell phone, money, rope, headphones, extra bullets, and a few flares. 

I walked out of the IOA into the warm sunlight and I started my mission.   The first place I decided to go was the location of the accident.   I went to the dock that was on the water near the site.   I asked the man that worked there for a boat.   He was a large man with a brown beard and a bald head.   His name was Josh.  He was very kind and I paid him the money and he handed me the keys to an average sized grey boat.   It was in good shape, so I started it and I plugged in the exact coordinates of the crash.  I took off to the site plowing through the cool water.    As I got closer and closer to the sight, my stomach started to turn and I got really anxious.   I did not get to say goodbye to my parents.   I reached the crash site about five minutes later and I got my wetsuit on along with my goggle and air tank.  I dove into the clear water and propelled myself down to the sunken abandoned boat.  When I reached the boat, I pushed the heavy door aside and entered the main room.  I searched around for clues but it felt hopeless because everything was pretty much destroyed.   I exited the boat and swam around it to the other side.    There was a deep hole on the side.   It looked like a big bullet hole.  Melanie was right; this wasn’t an accident.  I stuck my hand in the hole and pulled out a big golden bullet.   I put it in my pocket in my suit.  I was about to leave but I went back into the main room and looked around for little things that could be saved.  I found my father’s pocketknife, a preserved family photo, and one of my mother’s rings.   I swam back up to my boat, and drove away.  I headed back to the IOA to see Melanie.  I handed her the bullet to process and she said that she would take it down to the lab.   While she was gone, I left the room and went to my dorm to get some sleep.  

I awoke the next day to the sound of somebody knocking on my door.  It was Melanie and she asked me if I wanted to get some breakfast before we pick up the bullet from the lab.  So we headed down to the cafeteria and got some bagels with strawberry jelly and some juice.    After we finished, we headed down to the lab.  Henry, the lab technician said that the bullet came from a .338 Lapua Magnum.  This gun is not popular here in England, it is a rare gun used mostly in Finland.   I thought back to the day when I arrived at the IOA, when I got the tour of the facility.   The weapons quarter was very impressive and stocked with almost every gun ever made.   We took the bullet and headed up to the weapons quarter.   Melanie and I arrived at the quarter and she swiped her card.  It did not work and the keypad said only somebody with level 1 clearance could enter the room.  I told Melanie I would find a way in and for her to go back to her room.   Later that night, when everybody was sleeping, I tiptoed to Jones’ office and snuck in.   I searched through his drawers for his ID badge, and finally found it on top of his cabinet under a book.   I snatched it and ran to the weapons quarter.    I swiped the card and entered the room.  I looked around the room to find the label: .338 Lapua Magnum.  On my right, I found the label, but the gun was gone.  I took out my phone and took a picture of the spot where it is supposed to be and the label.   I exited the quarter and returned the badge to Jones’ office.   As I was about to leave I saw a picture on a table that was of Jones and my father.  I took a picture of it.   I headed back to my dorm and laid down on my bed thinking about everything that I found out today.  Jones knew my father?  Why was the gun missing? 

My mind was racing.   How did Jones know my father?  After I got dressed, I skipped breakfast and went straight to Jones’ office.   When I reached his office, I peered in the window and saw him talking to a tall man.  I knocked on the door and they both stopped talking and the tall man exited the office with his head down looking at the floor.   I noticed that the man also wore the same bird pin as Jones.  The first thing he asked was why did I break into his office.  I answered I was working and I need level 1 access to the weapons quarter.  He was forgiving and told me to take a seat.  I immediately started asking Jones questions about how he knew my father.   He told me that my father worked here before I was born.  He also said that he sees qualities in me he saw in my father.    I was very frustrated about how I didn’t know my father worked for the IOA.   I got up suddenly and left because I did not know how to process the information I just took in.  I gathered my things and walked out of the IOA and journeyed back to Paris to my parent’s home.   I called a cab to take me to the train station.  I stepped out of the cab and to my surprise I saw Melanie waiting for me in the doorway.  She said she would have my back and that she was coming with me.  Melanie also said that she never does much fieldwork, so she was pleased that she could come along.  We boarded our train and went back to Paris.  When we reached Paris we got off of the train, and flagged down a cab.  The man was African American and he asked for the address.  After about a very silent 20-minute ride, we reached my parent’s house.  My parents never sold the house and nobody is living in it.   All of their possessions were boxed up and the boxes were scattered throughout the house.   I remember them always keeping a spare key in a flowerpot on the front porch.  To my surprise the pot and the key were still there.     The house was red brick and had an awning about the porch.  There was a window on either side of the front door and a porch swing.   I plucked the key out of the pot and unlocked the door.   Melanie and I started gathering the boxes into the living room to look through them to see if there was anything in there about my fathers past of working at the IOA.  After we gathered the boxes, I headed downstairs to my father’s office.  I figured if my dad was hiding about working at the IOA, it would be hidden somewhere in there.   I looked through his cabinets but they were empty.   I looked through the drawers of the desk and there was nothing.   I finally opened the top drawer and I moved my hand around in it and I felt something.   It was smooth and kind of sticky.  I pulled the object out and it was a picture of my parents and me.  I got a shiver and I could feel tears in my eyes.  I slipped the picture in my pocket, and there was a button under where the picture laid.  I pressed the button and a little latch opened.  There I found a folder that was labeled IOA.  This is what I had been looking for.  I opened it and saw the same picture of my father and Jones that Jones had in his office.  There were documents about my father’s missions and I found a clump of paper stapled together that had my name on it.  I took the folder and put it under my jacket and headed back upstairs where Melanie was looking through the boxes.     I told her that I found what we came here for and she got up and we walked out of the house.  

After getting in the car, I turned back and looked at my house thinking about my parents.   I told myself that it was okay to be sad but I scratched that idea out of my mind because I wanted to finish this case.   We headed back to the IOA and while entering the glass doors, I saw the same tall man I saw yesterday walking out of Jones’ office.   He stared at me with a very serious look.   We passed each other and he headed to a black GMC truck.  He threw a bag into the back seat and opened the driver’s door and took off.   He seemed suspicious to me but I let that go and I said goodbye to Melanie.  I ran to my dorm and slammed the door and locked it.   I took out the folder from my jacket.  I scattered all the papers across the floor.    But first things first I went to my friend Q that worked with the computers and the surveillance at the IOA.   He was an average sized man who was 25.  He was skinny and always wore a sweater and black-rimmed glasses.  I asked him if he could show me the footage from June 9, 1986.   This was the day that my parents died.  He pulled up the surveillance video from that day.   I told him to fast forward through that day until I found something.   Then I saw somebody dressed in all black creeping into the weapons quarter.   He turned around and I noticed something on his jacket.  I told Q to stop the video and rewind it.   I zoomed in on the jacket.   The tall man was wearing the same gold bird pin.   So that man was the same man I saw with Jones.   So was this the man that killed my parents?   Why did he steal the gun?  I wanted to run to Jones’ office and spill it out about what I just saw.  I decided to keep quiet for now and just work with Melanie and Q.  I told Q to find everything he can find on that man.   And how he knew Jones and if there was any connection from him to my father.  Q said it would take some time, so I walked to the cafeteria and got some lunch.  I noticed Melanie sitting in the corner.  I walked over to her and sat down.   We talked and laughed for about 30 minutes until I got a text from Q to get down to the lab immediately.   I threw our trash away and we hastily walked down to the lab.    We entered the lab and pushed the big glass doors open.   Melanie asked Q what he found.  Q said that the man in the surveillance video was indeed the man Jones was talking to.  He said his name was Frederick Tulle.   He lived at 389 Evergreen Road in London.  Q also said that he new Jones for over forty years.  They were friends and they were working together in the early years of the IOA.  They were partners before Tulle killed eleven men.   Tulle turned on Jones and that deeply hurt him.  But after a while they grew to be friends again.  Q also said something interesting.  When they were partners they won a badge for being the best detectives.  The badge they got was a gold bird pin.   So that explains why they are both wearing one.  I then asked if he found out anything about Jones and my father.  Q said that my father also worked at the IOA when Jones and Tulle were there.  My father was also one of the best detectives there at the time.  My father won the award for the most solved cases and bringing in the most ruthless killers.  After Tulle left Jones, Jones and my father teamed up and became partners.   So was Tulle the one that killed my parents? He did have a lot of evidence against him.  I told Q to dig up some more information about Tulle and Jones.  I picked up the piece of paper with Tulle’s address on it and slid it into my pocket.   I thanked Q for doing the research and I said goodbye to Melanie.  As I was heading out the door, Melanie stopped me and told me she and Q had a surprise for me.  So we headed to the back of the IOA where the Garage is located.  There sitting in front of me was a silver Porsche.   They said I needed a car for my mission instead of taking a cab everywhere.  I was overcome with excitement.  Melanie wished my luck and told me to be careful.  I said I will and when I was about to get in the car, I turned around and lightly grabbed her face and kissed her.   We smiled at each other and I told her I would be back later.  I got in the car and sped away.  It took my about a half an hour to finally arrive at Tulle’s house.  The house was small with dark brick and shingles on the roof.   The plants in the front were all dead and there was absolutely no color at all.   I drove past his house and parked two houses up.  I got out of my car and slid my gun out of my holster.  I raised it and slowly walked to the front door.  I walked up the steps and knocked on the front door.   A small woman answered the door, and I asked if Frederick was home.  She said he was out but she invited me in anyway.  The woman was small, plump, and had grey hair pulled into a bun.  She had on a floral dress with an apron and little flat shoes.  She told me her name was Greta.   Greta looked as if she was about 65 years old.  She pointed to the table and I sat down and put my gun in between my legs.  Greta offered me cookies and tea.  I took them and I asked her how she knew Tulle.  She told me that she was his mother’s friend who took care of him when she died.  I started to twitch and then I remembered what Melanie told me.   Because of the chip, I would twitch when danger was near.  I then heard footsteps outside and the door creaked open.  I slowly reached for my gun and Greta disappeared into one of the rooms.   Tulle stepped into the house and I pulled my gun on him.  I told him to sit down on the couch.  I asked him if he remembered what happened on June 9th, 1986.  He said yes and then I proceeded to ask him more questions.  Did you steal the gun from the weapons quarter in the IOA? He answered that he did not steal it; he had permission to be in there.  Did you shoot my parents boat? He fell silent for a couple seconds and said no.  Who gave you permission to be in the weapons quarter? He did not answer.  I asked him again.  He still did not answer.  He was hiding something.  So since he wasn’t answering me, I handcuffed him and checked his pockets to see if he had any weapons.  He had a knife on this belt and a gun in his trench coat pocket.  I took them both and put them on my belt.  We walked to my car and I put him in the backseat.  I kept my eye on him as I drove back to the IOA.  When we arrived at the IOA, I pulled into the Garage.  I opened the door and grabbed him by the arm.  I locked my car and slid my keys into my jacket pocket.  I passed by Jones’ office but he wasn’t there.  So I went down to Q.  I told him to get the cameras working in isolation room B.  I pulled Tulle along with me to isolation room B.   I opened the door, and sat him down in the chair in the corner.   I typed in Tulle’s name into the computer, and then left the room.  I waited to hear the door automatically lock.  And only people who work at the IOA, with a badge can get in.  I heard footsteps coming and I saw it was an officer.  Q sent down Officer Dawn to man the room.   I told her not to go in or let him out.  She nodded and left to go see Melanie.  I walked up to her office and opened the door.  I greeted her with a kiss and a hug.  Then we both sat down and I told her about my meeting with Tulle.  She said she had a feeling he was a suspect.  All of a sudden, I hear the door slam open.  I turn around and see Jones standing in the doorway.   He asked Melanie if we could have a minute and she nodded and stepped into the hallway.   Jones said that he was just downstairs and heard that I brought Tulle in.  He asked why and I told him that he was a part of my case with my parents.  I then told Jones that I knew he knew my father and that he knew Tulle well too.  I demanded him to tell me if he knew who killed my parents and he said he didn’t know.  I angrily stood up and left the room.  I went back to my dorm and slammed the door.  Why was everyone lying to me? Why won’t anybody just be straight with me?  If I started to twitch when Tulle came into the house, then that would have a possibility he is a part of my case.   I paced around my room for about an hour before I felt tired and went to bed.  The next morning I got dressed and picked up my coffee in the cafeteria.  I headed straight to the bottom floor of the IOA to isolation room B.   I noticed that Dawn was relieved for the night and officer James took over.  I told him I could take it from here and he walked away.   I opened the door and I saw Tulle asleep in the chair.  I saw that he was delivered food and water in the middle of the night.  I picked up the water and threw it in his face.  He immediately woke up.  I pulled over the other chair and put it in front of him.  I sat down and looked at him with a stern face.   I asked him again: “Who gave you permission to be in the weapons quarter?”   He was silent and I screamed it again.  He did not answer.  I furiously got up and stomped out of the room.  I ran to Jones’ office and I told him to come with me.  He followed me back to Tulle’s room and when we got there, Tulle was gone.  I put my hands on my head and started to scream.   The door was open and both chairs were tipped over.  Jones looked at me and told me to get back to work.  He left me in the hallway by myself and walked back to his office.  I walked up the glass steps to see Q.  I told him to pull up the camera footage from isolation room B in the last 20 minutes.   He pulled it up and at the beginning we saw me talking to him.  As soon as I got up to leave the room, I noticed I did not shut the door the whole way.  I sighed deeply and put my face into my hands. 

After watching the footage I told Q to track him and me on his map of London.  I checked my gun to see how many bullets I had.   I had a full set, and Q gave me an earpiece so we could communicate.  I put it into my ear and headed to the weapons quarter to grab a vest.  Q told me he did not make it very far, and told me to go out the back of the IOA.   I did as he said and I saw tracks in the grass.  I followed them into the small patch of woods.  I made it through with no sign of him.  Q said that he was headed to town.  He was at the train station.  I sprinted to town and saw his beige trench coat.  I followed him to the train station but he spotted me.  He started to run and I started to run faster.  He beat me to the station and I lost him for a moment in the crowd but I picked up the color of his coat again.  I started to push through people to catch up to him.   I was in the dead center of the station. Q said that he took a service door on the right of me.  I walked over to the door and it was opened just slightly.   I opened it and followed the steps down to a dark corridor.   It was barely lit and I did not know where I was.  I asked Q where to go from there and he said to just keep going straight.  I did as he said and he said that Tulle was not that far in front of me.  I heard a creak and it sounded like a door.  Q said to take the door on my left.  I opened it and I saw no sign of Tulle.  I asked Q where he was and he told me to give him a minute.   He said he couldn’t see him.   He said he was checking the cameras.  Then all of a sudden he said that he was dressed as a guard.  I told Q that the station was full of them.   He told me to go straight until I hit the train C corridor.  When I reached it I asked where to go next.  He said he got on the train but the train started to move.  I started running and jumped onto the back of the train.  I told the guard to let me in, and I entered the train looking for a guard uniform.  I saw one very faintly two cars up and I started to push through the people.   The people started to shout and yell at me.  Tulle sped away through the people.  I started to run as fast as I could to catch up to him.   I saw that he ran up the stairs and I took a shortcut and caught up to him.   I stepped in front of him and knocked him out.   Q surprised me and showed up in a van right outside of the station.  I put Tulle in the van and handcuffed him to a bar on the side.  I hopped into the front seat next to Q.   We were driving for about ten minutes until we saw a black car starting to tailgate us.  I told Q to speed up but the car sped up also.  There were two men in the car but I could not make out their faces.   The one man on the passenger side pulled a gun out and started to shoot at our van.  I pulled out my gun and started to shoot back.   I told Q to not go back to the IOA.    We drove all around London with the black car on our trail.   The car swerved and got beside us.   The men were wearing black ski masks.   They started to shoot at the windows but thanks to Q a bullet could not penetrate the windows.   We swerved into the next lane and I told Q to duck.  I opened his window a tiny bit and shot at the ground next to their car.  I shot their front right tire and the car stopped and slid into a pole.   I was relieved that they were gone but after a couple minutes I saw a black Jeep come real close to us.   Their windows were tinted so much I could not see into the car.  I shot at them also but could not hit their car.   They did not shoot back.  I told Q to head to Paris.  Q sped up and we finally lost them.    The Jeep seemed somewhat familiar to me but I could not pick up where I saw it.   We stayed on the main road to get to Paris.   I heard Tulle waking up.   I got out of my seat and went back and blindfolded him.   We stopped at a hotel and got a room.  The workers there did not even notice I brought Tulle in with a blindfold on and handcuffs.  They did not charge us because we worked for the IOA.  The hotel was called La Maison Favart.   We got the biggest suite in the hotel.   I tied Tulle to a chair in the bedroom.   I took his phone and everything out of his pockets.   I exited the bedroom and locked the door.  Q and I sat down on the couches and I poured us some drinks.   After we finished our drinks I got up and walked out onto the terrace and called Melanie.  She answered and asked where I was.  I told her I couldn’t tell her because I wanted to keep her safe.  I did tell her Tulle was with me along with Q.   She told me to be careful.  I said I would and then I told her I loved her.  She said tell me that when this case is over.   I chuckled and we said goodbye.   I walked back inside and Q wasn’t sitting on the couch.  I saw the bedroom door was open and I walked over to the open door.   Tulle was still sitting in the chair but where was Q?   I strolled into the room and took the gag off of his mouth.   I asked him where Q was and he said he came into the room to give him water and then left.   I then heard a noise at the door.  I walked over and looked through the peephole.  It was Q.  I let him in and asked where he went.  He said he was hungry and he went down to the buffet to get food.                           I looked at him with a straight face and let him in.  We sat down on the couch again and started to eat the food.   After about an hour I got a call from Melanie and she sounded very suspicious.   She said that Jones knows that I have Tulle and he knows where I was.   She also said that he sent men to come and get us.   We packed up and I went into the bedroom and unlocked the handcuffs.   I asked him how did he contact Jones to come and get us.  He said he didn’t but I didn’t believe him.  I asked him again but with a much stronger tone.   Then he finally gave in.   He said that he has been working with the IOA and that Jones gave him a tracker to find him if he ever got lost.  He admitted that he had been to see Jones about some things.  I asked him what kind of things.  Things about you he answered.  I was shocked to hear the words come out of his mouth.  He said that he didn’t particularly like my father but he was upset when he heard that he died.  So all along Tulle was helping me in his own twisted way.   He said that the people in the IOA must work together and if they don’t that will be the end.   He said that someone on the inside was working against me.  He said he didn’t know whom but he would help me find them.  He said he doesn’t remember most of what has happened ever since he got back in touch with Jones after many years.   I asked him if he remembered anything from the first day he got back to the IOA.   Tulle replied that he remembered that he was taken to a dark room where they cleaned him off and gave him new clothes.  After that they took him to another room with many windows and several chairs in it.   He said he saw Jones enter the room along with a tall lady.  The lady’s name was Janice and that she was the doctor there.   He said that Jones gave him a chip too.   He said that was about it.  I asked him to really think to see if there was anything else.   He replied that he recalled as soon as they put the chip in, Janice put a needle into his arm.  He said it was like a shot but the “medicine” was red.   I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen so we left the hotel and drove to the nearest hospital.   I asked the doctor to put Tulle under an X ray machine.  I wanted to see if the chip was still in his arm.   When the x ray was pulled up, the chip hadn’t moved.  I told the doctor thank you and he stepped out.  I took out Tulle’s knife I had on my belt and slit his arm open.  He screamed in pain but I needed to get that chip out.   I was finally able to get it out and I walked over to the sink and cleaned off my hands and the chip.   As I suspected the “medicine” did not go into him, it went into the chip.   The “medicine” was making him forget things about his life.  And the IOA knew where he was all of the time because of it.   Because Tulle was forgetting things he did not know who was against me in the IOA or why he took the gun from the weapons quarter.   I got word from Melanie a little while later that the people Jones sent arrived at the hotel.  I knew that they would find us at the hospital sooner or later.   I bandaged Tulle’s arm and we all walked out to the van.  Tulle gasped and I turned around wondering what was wrong.   He said that after I took out the chip, he got his memories back.   He said that he remembered who was working against me in the IOA.   Tulle said that it was Sergeant Billy.   Billy had worked for the IOA for many years.   Tulle said that he was also working there when he was there.   They were not that fond of one another.   Jones always did favor Tulle over pretty much everyone, even Billy.   He said that Billy got jealous and left the IOA for good.  Not until around my parent’s death did he reappear again.  Tulle said he claimed he would get revenge.   Tulle also said that over time they grew closer.    Despite what Billy felt, Tulle said that he was back and working for the IOA.   We drove back to London to the IOA.   We all walked through the front door and headed straight towards Jones’ office.  I knocked on the door and Jones swung it open.   He seemed happy to see me and to see Tulle and Q also.   He said that he sent men to come get us but when they arrived at the hotel we were gone.   Q said that we thought they were here to capture us.   I took the lead of the conversation and asked Jones why he became friends with Sergeant Billy again.  He answered that he likes to have his enemies close to him.   I said why would you call him your enemy when Tulle said that you two have been working together for a while now.   Jones became flustered and then he asked me why I didn’t have Tulle in cuffs.  I said that he was on our side and all along he has been helping me.   He said that you put a chip into him and put medicine inside his body to make him forget things.   Jones denied it and asked why Tulle was bleeding.  I told him that I took the chip out of his body and destroyed it.   Jones’ face became red with anger and then he changed the subject.   He asked how did I know he sent men to find us.   I told him it was because of the chip he injected into me because I twitched when they became close and then we left.    Jones said that we were dismissed but he wanted to talk to Tulle alone.   I told Tulle we would wait for him outside and he nodded his head.  I shut the door and I watched as he sat down on the silver chair in front of Jones’ desk.   I could hear them talking but it was faint.  I could not make out the words.   After some time, I heard the door open and Tulle walked out.   I saw him holding his arm where I cut the chip out of him.   I asked what was wrong and he said nothing.  He said that he would see me tomorrow in the garden in the nearby park at nine in the morning.  I agreed and he left.   Q said goodnight and went back down to his lab.  I had to speak to Melanie before I went to bed.  I walked down the stairs to her office.   I knocked on the door and entered.  She embraced me with a hug and a kiss.  She said that it was good to see me.  I said likewise but I told her that she couldn’t tell anybody about helping me.   She agreed and we talked for a while.   I noticed the time and I got up to leave.   As I opened the door I saw a man that was about average height with dark hair and blue eyes coming towards me.  I knew that I saw him before but I could not figure out where.  He nodded at me and I nodded back.  I noticed that he was going to go into Melanie’s office.  I walked down the hall about twenty paces when I realized who that man was.  It was Sergeant Billy.   I turned around and jogged to her office.  There was blood on the floor and the door was open.   I could feel tears in my eyes and I screamed so loud.   I sprinted down to Q’s lab.  I told him that Billy took Melanie and that we had to get her back.  He agreed and pulled up a map of the city.   He typed Billy’s information into his computer and Melanie’s.   Two blue dots showed up on the map and they were located at the train station.   I thought to myself how much I hated train stations now.  I put my earpiece in my ear and took off to the train station.   Q said that they were getting on a train to Paris.  It was the 155 train.  I sprinted to that train and I made it just in time.   I got on and I noticed Melanie’s ponytail.  I pushed through the people and I grabbed Melanie’s arm.  I told her to stay behind me.   Billy looked at me with disgust.  He punched me in the face twice.  But I did not hit him back.  The people on the train started to push towards the back and the front of the train leaving only Melanie, Billy, and me in the car.   I got my anger built up and I started punching Billy over and over again until he finally passed out.  Or at least I thought he did.  As Melanie and I were about to leave the car, Billy jumped on me and started punching me repeatedly.   I don’t really remember anything after that.  I woke up on the train and asked some people where we were.  They said that we were in Paris.  I sighed with relief and I kept hearing Q saying my name in the earpiece.  I said that I was there and he asked me what happened.  I said that I think Billy knocked me out and that he took Melanie.  Q gasped and I asked what was going on.   He said that Billy has Melanie at the docks where my parents died.  I grunted and got up.   I walked out of the station and flagged down a taxi.  I got in and told the driver where I needed to go.  We arrived after several minutes and I paid the driver and got out.   I saw that a boat was missing from the dock.   I walked up to the shop and Josh gave me the keys to the boat I used before.   I turned the engine on and I sped away into the cool water.  Q told me to just keep going straight for about five more minutes and I should reach them.  Then Q told me to hold on.  He said apparently Billy stopped right where my parent’s boat sunk.  As I got closer I saw the orange boat getting closer and closer.  I saw Melanie with a gag in her mouth and she had handcuffs on.  I yelled to Billy to let her go and he said gladly.  But then he said that I would never be able to solve my case.  Then he pushed Melanie into the water.   I immediately dove into the water.   The current was strong and it felt as though I was not getting any closer to her.  I swam with all my might but it was no use.  I saw a big wave coming and I thought this could help me.   The wave pushed me and I caught her arm.   I swam up to my boat and put her into it.  I took the gag off of her mouth and used Tulle’s knife to cut her cuffs because they were only tape.  I looked over at Billy and he smiled at me and laughed.  He took off spraying Melanie and I with water.  I wrapped my jacket around her and we took off back to the docks.  I handed Josh the keys for the boat but he said that I could keep them just in case.   I thanked him and he gave Melanie a cup of tea.  We thanked him for helping us.   I called a cab.  W waited for a good fifteen minutes before it showed up.  Melanie told me that she was scared of Billy but she knew that I would come rescue her.  I smiled and opened the door for her.  We slid into the cab and the driver asked where we wanted to go.  I told him the garden in the park in town.  He nodded and Melanie asked me why were we going there.  I told her that is where Tulle told me to meet him.   She said that it was almost midnight and I said that it was not safe for us at the IOA right now.   She said okay and we both fell asleep in the cab ride there.   The cab driver woke us up and I gave him the money and we got out.   I said that we should get a hotel room and stay there for the night until tomorrow.  She agreed and we headed into the hotel across the street from the park.  I asked for a room and the worker gave me the key to the room.  We got onto the elevator and went up to the sixth floor.   We exited the elevator and walked down the hall looking for our room.   Our room number was 657.  I opened the door and we walked inside.  Melanie said she was going to get a shower.  I plopped down on the bed and I felt my eyes get heavy.   I felt something against my body and it was Melanie.  I put my arm around her and we both fell asleep.  I woke up around eight in the morning.  Melanie was already making coffee.  I sat up and walked to the bathroom to shower and get ready to meet Tulle. After my shower, I walked out of the bathroom and put on my clothes.  I took the cup of coffee from Melanie and kissed her on the cheek.  I told her to stay here while I went to go meet Tulle.  She said okay but hurry back.  I smiled and walked out into the hallway.  I heard the door close behind me and I walked down the hall to the elevator.  I got in and went down to the lobby.  I exited the hotel and walked across the street into the park.  It was ten to nine as I walked into the garden.  I sat down on a bench as I waited for Tulle.  I checked my watch and it said 8:57.   I saw Tulle from a distance and he saw me.  He walked over to the bench and sat down.  Before I could say anything I noticed that his eyes were bloodshot and his face was red.  He said that he could not really remember a lot of things.  But he said that something told him he had to be here today.   I asked him if he remembered anything that happened yesterday.  He shook his head and I asked him to hold out his arm.  Then I asked him to pull up his sleeve.  He did and I saw that where I cut his arm, it was stitched up.  I had a bad feeling about this.  I then took the stitches out of his arm and the slit opened up.   Blood came pouring out and I noticed that he had another chip in his arm.  I sighed and I was about to pull it out.  But Tulle stopped me and I asked him why he did that.  He said that he was told by somebody to keep it in no matter what.  I noticed that the chip was larger than the last one.  This time I saw orange liquid sloshing around in it.   I took out my earpiece from my pocket and tried to get in touch with Q.   He immediately answered and I asked him what would an orange liquid do to a person.   He said that orange liquid is very rare but he said that it was very dangerous.   Q also said that orange liquid is known for making people lose their minds until the point of death.  I sighed deeply and I asked Q if he could come to the park.  He said yes but to give him some time.  I noticed all of a sudden, people started to fill up the park.  I grabbed Tulle and took him back to the hotel.  I told Q to meet me at the hotel across the street from the park in room 657.  He said okay and that he would be there as soon as he could.  We walked through the doors and got onto the elevator.  I noticed that Tulle lost a lot of blood but I knew it was not enough to kill him.  When the elevator reached my floor, we got out and walked down the hallway to my room.   I knocked on the door and Melanie pulled it open with a shocked look on her face.  I told her to get him on the bed because we had to get the chip out of his arm.   I called Q again and told him to bring a first aid kit with him.  He said okay and that he was leaving soon.  I said okay and hung up.   I walked over to the bed and told Tulle that it was going to be okay.  Before he knew it I pulled the chip out of his arm.   I noticed something dripping off of it but it did not look like blood.  It was the orange liquid.  Something must have punctured the chip and some of the liquid got out.  That meant that if the liquid got out, then it was already in his bloodstream.  I set the chip on the table and smashed it with my shoe.  Q finally arrived at the door and I opened it slowly.   He handed me the first aid kit and I we both walked over to the bed.  I told Q that some of the orange liquid got into Tulle’s system.  Q immediately looked upset.  I handed the kit to Melanie and told her to patch Tulle up.  Q walked me over to the balcony and we stepped outside and shut the door.  Q told me that if the liquid was in Tulle’s system, then he does not have long to live.  I hung my head and felt myself starting to cry.    When I first met Tulle he seemed like a very mean person that was against me.  But after time went on, he became good and helped me.  He was a brave man and I was not ready to let him go.  I asked Q if there was anything I could do to save him.  He said he only knew of one cure and it was inside the IOA.  I said why doesn’t that surprise me.  I asked him if he would be brave enough to go back to the IOA and get it.   He said yes but he said he would have to be quick because he does not know how much longer Tulle had.   Q said he would go and he left instantly.  He said that he did not want Tulle to die because he had great respect for him on how he was helping us all along.  I agreed with him and Q set off back to the IOA in search of the cure.  Melanie said she would give Tulle and I some time to speak.  She walked out onto the balcony and shut the door.  Tulle said that I was very lucky to have met someone like Melanie.  I nodded and sniffled.   He asked why I was crying and I told him the truth.  I told him that he basically had poison in his system and we do not know how much longer he had.    He did not look frightened.  But I said that Q had heard of a cure of fix it.  He asked who Q was and I just said a very good friend.  I said that the cure was inside of the IOA and that Q went back for it.  I told him that I wanted to save his life because he had been protecting mine, even if it was an odd way of showing it.   He smiled and he said that it was a great privilege knowing me.   I said you too and I let him get some sleep.   I walked out to the balcony and sat down next to Melanie.   She asked how he was doing and I said that he was doing great for someone who found out that they were dying.  She chuckled and lightly grabbed my hand.  She said that she was sorry about Tulle dying.  I replied that he was not dead yet and that I would try anything to keep him alive; at least until the case is over.   I heard my phone ringing and I picked it up.   It was Q.  He said that he just got back to the IOA.  He said he was headed to the doctor’s office.  Q said that he just saw Janice leave for lunch so he had some time in there.   He approached the office and entered.   I heard him gasp and asked him what was wrong.  He said that he just found a whole canister of chips with the liquid in them.   He picked up the can and saw a ring of liquid under it.  He said it was orange.  He said to me to get my knife ready.  And I asked why.   He responded and said that I needed to take my chip out immediately.  I sliced my arm open and removed the chip.  I did notice liquid sloshing around it in but I did not see any punctures in it.  All three of us sighed with relief.   But we were all wondering why the IOA had so many chips.   Our signal then got disconnected.   I started to panic.  What was happening?  I told Melanie that I was going to go to the IOA and help Q.   She pulled me back and said that if I go in there, it will be dangerous.  She said to let Q do his job.   She then said for me to trust Q and we will just have to wait for him to get back.  We went back inside and Tulle was still breathing, which was a good sign.  He was still asleep though.  We sat down on the other bed and just waited in silence for Q to come back.  About an hour passed and we heard Tulle breathing heavily.  I told Melanie that he might be out of time.  I felt his heart and it started to pump slower and slower.   I started to get upset again because I did not want to lose him.  Then all of a sudden we heard a knock at the door.   I walked quietly and slowly to the door.   I looked out the peephole and Q was standing there in the hallway.  I let him in and he rushed over to the bed and stuck the needle into Tulle’s arm.  His breathing became normal again and he woke up with a jolt.  I asked him how he felt.   He said he felt good.  I asked him who he thought Q was.  He said that was Q and he pointed to Melanie and he said that is Melanie.  He then pointed at me and said that my name was Adam.  I was overjoyed that Q saved his life.   I hugged Q and thanked him. 

Since Tulle got his memories back again I asked him if he knew anything about Jones and Billy.  He said they were very timid around me and did not share everything with him.   But he said that he did recall a conversation between them.  He said that they were talking about chips and how they could wipe their memories and die so they could make room for better detectives.   I was shocked to hear that.  When I first met Jones I thought he was a good man but now I see him as a threat.   I asked him if he knew who killed my parents and he said no.   But he said I do recall I saw somebody leaving the IOA that night.   I knew that it had to have been Billy.   He said that he did not get a good look at him but it could have been him.   I was desperate at this point to finish this case.   Tulle said that Jones had to have been in on the chip making process.  I noticed Q brought his computer with him and I asked him to pull up the footage from the night my parents died but after we saw Tulle take the gun.   He pulled up the footage and we watched it thoroughly.    We saw Jones in the lab with a woman but it obviously was not Janice because she had probably just been born.   We saw them making chips but they seemed like normal ones without the liquid.   I had a suspicious thought.  I told Q to pull up the footage from the first night Billy got back into town.  He pulled it up and we saw Billy put a chip into Jones but it looked like the one with liquid it in.  Q said the liquid affects different people in different ways.  He said that it has been years since it was injected into Jones’ body, so it may be slow acting.   So it did not affect him the same way it affected Tulle so quickly.   I had to get back to the IOA to figure this out.  We all collected our things and we walked to the IOA together.  We all walked through the front door and everybody was staring at us.  We made our way to Jones’ office and I opened the door and saw Billy sitting there, talking with Jones.  Billy began to stand up and I told him to sit back down.  I took my gun out of my holster and pointed it at Billy.  I asked angrily why he wanted to wipe out people just to replace them with new ones that are better.   He said that he was a dominant person at the IOA back in the day but nobody even acknowledged him.  He wanted people to see how brave he was and how strong he was.   But nobody did and that is why he wanted his revenge.  He then said that he formed a plot to wipe out the weak people and replace them with new people that were just like him.   So he created these chips with liquid in them telling Jones and Janice that they were just like the ones they made to help detectives on missions.  But they were the opposite of that.  He put the poison into them so eventually they would start to forget their memories and who they were, driving them mad until they were dead.  Everybody fell for it and they instantly brought my chips in and gave them to everybody thinking they would help them on missions.   I told him I did get one with liquid but it was not punctured.   He looked upset and he was about to come at me when Melanie punches him in the head and knocks him out.  She half smiled.   I look at Jones and asked him if he knew who I was.  He said that I was Adam Porter.  I told him to lift his sleeve.  He did and I noticed that he had a chip in him too.  Billy must have tricked him into taking one.  I took Tulle’s knife again and cut the chip out of his arm.  Like me, his did not have any punctures.   He was safe even though he acted like an asshole for trusting Billy and seemed suspicious to me.  I told Tulle, Q, Melanie, and Jones to get everyone into the mess hall to get their chips extracted.  They did so and I grabbed Billy and pulled him into Melanie’s office.  I handcuffed him and sat him in the chair and threw water on him to wake him up.  I started punching him repeatedly.   His reaction was just laughter.  I asked him why he was doing this and why he came back after all this time.  He said he wanted detectives to be more strong and brave like him.  I answered saying that all you did was prove yourself to be a manipulative liar and a murderer.   I asked him if he killed my parents and he said yes.  I was full of emotion and asked him why.   He said that my father was a smart man that was onto him and his plan for the chips.  I screamed and shouted at him: “Because my dad saw you making the chips, you decided to kill him and my mother?”   He said that he would have ruined my plans and would have turned him in.   All of a sudden I saw that he broke out of his cuffs and he smacked me on the face.  He ran out of the room towards the Garage.  He got into a black Jeep and now I know that it was him that was trying to kill Tulle, Q, and I.   I got into my car and started it.  He revved his engine and sped off.  I revved mine also and sped off not far behind him.  I saw the Jeep a few cars up and I tailgated cars and beeped at them to let me through.  I finally caught up to him and he started to speed up.  I sped up and got beside him and he started shooting at my car.   I swerved into the other lane and the cars shot out of the way honking at me.  I put the car in gear and sped up to catch up to him again.  I bumped into his car and made him move into the other lane.  We were driving next to each other pushing our cars against each other hoping the other would crash.  I put my car in reverse and swerved behind him and I hit his bumper.  He them immediately put on his brakes and I had to turn my car so fast not to hit him.   I put my car in gear and sped off hoping he would follow me.  He did and he kept getting closer and closer to me.  Up ahead I saw a construction site with a big mound of concrete almost like a jump.  I sped up and he followed me right into the construction site.  As soon as I was about to take the jump I veered to the left of it.  Billy went right off the jump and his car tumbled and rolled down the street.  I thought he was dead because I did not see any movement.  The car landed upright and I heard his engine rev.  He was alive and his car was beat up.  But he managed to get it to work and came speeding right at me.  I put my car I reverse and as he was coming at me I jolted and spun the car around.  I sped off with Billy on my tail.  I entered a tunnel and Billy got in front of me with his car horizontal in front of me.  I think he was hoping I would stop but I didn’t.  I put my car into full gear and revved my engine.   I sped up more and more until we were nearing the end of the tunnel and there were two different lanes that separated with a barrier in the middle.  I kept going and smashed Billy’s car into the concrete barrier.  The impact was rough and I was bleeding all over.   My car was totaled but hopefully fixable.  I got out of the car and fell on the ground from the pain.  I thought I broke my arm and maybe cracked a few ribs.  I got up slowly and approached Billy’s car.  He was half dead already but he said something.  He said please don’t kill me, I’m sorry for killing your parents but I did not believe him.  I called him a liar and pointed my gun at his head.  Without hesitation, I shot him in the head.  The case was finally over.  I walked to the end of the tunnel and waved down a cab to take me back to the IOA.  I got in and the driver asked me what happened to me.   I said it was just a rough day.   We arrived at the IOA, and I was about to hand him money when he told me don’t worry about it.  I hope you have a nice rest of the day.  I thanked him and walked up the steps slowly.  I entered through the big glass doors and headed to the mess hall, assuming everybody would still be there.  When I got there I pushed the doors open and everybody’s eyes were on me.  Melanie ran up to me and kissed me.  It was the one moment in life when I felt like we were the only two people on the planet.  She started to pull away but I brought her head closer and kissed her.  I told her I loved her.   Q then came up to me and asked me if there was anything he could do for me.   I said to go retrieve my car in the tunnel and see if it can be fixed.  He nodded and said he was glad I was okay.   Janice walked over and she and Melanie walked me over to a chair and sat me down.  Janice began to patch me up and take x rays of me when Jones came over.   He put his hand out for me to shake and I did.  He thanked me for solving the case of my parents and I said that is was my pleasure.  He also thanked me for solving the chip experiment conducted my Sergeant Billy.   I nodded and he handed me something.   It was a brown box.  I opened it and inside was a gold pin in the shape of a flag.   He said that it was my fathers and I thanked him.  I asked him if he would be able to get a crew to fish out my parent’s boat from the bottom of the lake.  He agreed and he said he would get right on it.  Before he was about to leave he asked me where Billy was.  I told him he was dead in the tunnel.  He said he would get forensics over immediately.  He hastily walked out of the room.   I pinned my father’s pin to my jacket.  I smiled and I realized I was finally at peace.  

They fished out my parent’s boat and saved everything they could and gave it to me to keep.  They buried Billy in a cemetery somewhere in London.  And Q actually did manage to fix my car.  I was very happy about that.  Here I am today.  A year later, I married Melanie and we still live in London.  We are expecting a child.  I still visit the IOA often to see Q and Jones.  I got a call from Jones and he asked if I wanted to take over his job at the IOA.  I wanted to say no at first but it would be a great paying job to support my family and it would make my father proud.  I accepted it and I am now the new chief of the IOA.  I was finally happy.   I am standing on this cliff remembering my case and how my father and mother would be so proud of me.   Melanie came up beside me and she held my hand.  We walked back to our house remembering that this could only be the beginning. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.