Almost Found | Teen Ink

Almost Found

By MoiraM, tully, New York
MoiraM, Tully, New York

There was no one more tenacious than Faith.  When she got an idea into her head, she would end up doing it no matter what came in her way.  Seeing as Dawne was her best friend one would think that she would have believed her friend when Faith said she was going to run away.  In fact Dawne had believed her for a while at least.  Yet, after years of talk and no action, Dawne gave up on the idea that Faith would really run away, until she did.  
She really did it, she really ran away, was Dawne’s first thought after hearing the news.  At 9 o’clock when Faith’s mother tried to wake her up and found her gone, gone from her bed, gone from the house, she immediately called Dawne’s parents to check if Faith had gone over to Dawn’s house without telling her.  The fear and anxiety started to rise as it became abundantly clear Faith was nowhere to be found. 
That all happened a week ago.  Seven days later and there are very few people left looking.  Dawne herself has been drain of almost all of her hope that Faith will be found because she knows just how brilliant Faith is.  That is until Dawne finds a letter taped to the inside of the chimney of the old fire place in her own room.  As soon as she sees it, she knows it’s from Faith.  There’s no way she can’t recognize Faith’s neat pointy hand writing, the slightly tan, thick paper that she uses for all of her letters, or the dark blue ink of her favorite pen.  There is no denying that this letter is from Faith, but Dawne has no idea of why it’s here.  Dawne does the only reasonable thing; she reads the letter. 

Dear Dawne,

I know I should have told you I was going, but I was just afraid that you would try to talk me out of it.  Knowing you, you would have succeeded.  I just couldn’t deal with the people any longer.  I really wish you were here with me now.  We could have the adventure of a lifetime, and we will.  You just have to follow the clues I left for you.  Crack the code, discover my location, and meet me ten days after I leave. It'll be no problem for a genius like you.
    With the greatest love for my greatest friend,
        Faith
Dawne is in shock.  Faith hadn’t completely left her, yet even knowing this Dawne doesn’t know what to do.  Could she leave her family, her home, and her life to follow Faith on one of her crazy adventures?  The other option is to leave Faith alone and abandoned by her only friend in the wild, and she doesn’t think she can do that either.  A simple letter from a vanished friend hands Dawne the biggest decision of her life, and all she can think is, I guess I’ll have to sleep on it.
Morning comes and brings her no closer to a decision.  It is noon when she decides that she will at least find the clues, and she hopes that a full decision will come to her after she finds the location.  She gets right to it because she has no way of knowing how many clues there are and only two and a half days left. Rereading the letter doesn’t give her much, but when she picks up the envelope, a small key falls out.
“Wow!” she whispers to herself, ”Faith’s going to go for all of the cliches isn’t she.”  By the size of the key, Dawne knows it’s too small for a door, but other than that she’s clueless.  Dawne decides to head over to Faith’s house to see if she went all out and hid a locked box in the Clue board game. 
Brakes screech to a halt, and Dawne hops off her bike.  Her face is bright red from the wind tearing at it.  The soft smell of wetlands wafts through the air as she arrives at Faith’s house.  Dawne hopes that her friend’s mother won’t be to surprised by her presence.  This house by the marsh feels as much like home as her real home does.  She’s counting on the days she’s spent here to make her sudden appearance asking to see Faith’s room not too odd. 
Dawne can barely get a knock in before the door swings open to reveal an obviously worried Ms. Black, Faith’s mother. 
“Have they found something?” she asks while trying to remain calm. “Do they know where my daughter is?”
“No, I’m sorry Ms. Black. I just wanted to look at her room,” Dawne says nervously.” If that’s okay with you?”
“Yes of course, come in. I don’t know what you're hoping to find.  The police have already searched it,” she says.
“I’m not really looking for anything,” Dawne lies. “ I just miss her.”
“You and me both,” Ms. Black says, as she let’s Dawne walk past her in the direction of Faith’s room.  When Dawne sees the room, she has no trouble believing the police searched it.  While it’s not really messy, things are definitely out of place.  Dawne stares at the room stunned. How can I possibly find a lock to the key that I didn’t even know existed in a room that I no longer know, she thinks.  The police had made her insanely hard job quite a bit harder, but she only lets it deter her for a second.  She knows that this is her only way to find Faith, and Dawne has never been one to let someone else stomp on her dreams. 
About a hour later Ms. Black walks into her daughter's room to find it transformed back to how it was the night she left.  Dawne stands at the center of the room slowly turning in circle, scanning every inch of it. 
“How did you remember where everything went?” Ms. Black asks sounding surprised.
“That evening we did a skype call, and she kept moving the camera.  She must have pointed it at every part of the room by the time we said good bye.  I guess I just have a good memory.” Dawne replies.  When she had first fixed up the room, she had thought it was just pure luck, but at this point she is fairly sure it was another one of Faith’s clues. 
“Your parents called,” Ms. Black says finally getting to the real reason she went to talk to Dawne.”They said they want you back home.” 
“Oh sorry,” she says checking her watch,”I didn’t mean to stay so long, but do you mind if I stay for five more minutes?”
“No not at all. I’ll tell your parents that you’ll be over soon,” Ms. Black answers.  She leaves the room and leaves Dawne to her search.  Dawne does another spin looking at all of the room and is about to leave when she notices that the posters above Faith’s desk form an arrow that is pointing down to the left side of the desk.  She quickly checks all of the drawers on that side, and in the bottom one she finds a journal with a lock on it.  Not even taking the time to close the drawer Dawne races out of the house yelling a quick goodbye to Faith’s mother.      

Dawne eats her way through dinner paying no attention to the world around her.  Only her brother really notices her absence from the conversations.
“What’s going on, sis? You seem distracted,” he asks her after dinner.
“Oh, it's nothing.  I was just thinking about Faith,” she says hoping she won’t have to lie.  Faith was always the one to come up with a clever lie to get them out of trouble.  Thinking about Faith and lying reminds her of when the two of them became friends.
It obviously started with a lie. It also started with arch enemies, like all perfect friendships.
The two girls had met in kindergarden and decided the moment they saw each other that they were going to hate each other.  Neither of them remembered why, but it just kind of happened that way.  One day on the playground their unreasoned hate was unleashed.  It started with name calling, but quickly escalated when Faith sent her little five year old fist flying and punched Dawne in the face.  Dawne, never being one to show much restraint, did the first thing that came into her mind and punched Faith back, and it would have continued that way had a teacher not intervened.  Faith immediately pulled an excuse out of thin air. 
“We were just fake fighting.  We want to be stunt doubles when we grow up,” Faith had said.  The teacher, not believing this, turned to Dawne.
“Yeah, I’m gonna be famous!” Dawne added.  This excuse didn’t fly at all, and they ended up in the office.  After that Faith’s lies got a lot better, and they had been friends ever since.
“Dawne?” her brother says snapping her back to the present.
“What?” She asks.
“I said, I’m sure they’ll find Faith, don’t worry,” her brother says sounding reasonably annoyed for having to repeat himself. 
Later in her room she stares at the journal.  She hasn’t opened it yet because of dinner.  Now that she finally has the chance to she isn’t sure she wants to open the journal.  What if in the journal is Faith’s location? Then she would finally have to decide.  Swallowing her fear she unlocks it and lets it fall open on her lap.  Paging through the journal Dawne finds that the first page is the only one to hold writing.  She turns to the first page to find that the writing isn’t even English.  It's just some weird symbols. 
I always knew I was the dumb one in this friendship, she thinks.  To spite her negativity she is on her computer in a second researching code upon code trying to find the one her friend used.  She still hasn’t found the code by the time her parents tell her lights out, and by midnight she is ready to give up.  Then she finds a website that describes how a thing called frequency analytics can be used to break almost any written code.  It takes her hours, but she finally manages to decipher the first two words of the code.  These two words are the key to the rest, and she is done.  The code says, go to the ghost tree.  Even though she cracks the code, she still has no idea of what it means. Dawne decides to save that until she actually gets some sleep.
Although she only got a hour of sleep, Dawne manages to sneak enough coffee to be able to pull off the facade of alertness.  She doesn’t let herself waste anymore time sleeping, although she dearly wants to.  Dawne knows she only has today and tomorrow to find an unknown number of clues.  She focuses all of her attention on the clue at hand.  What is the ghost tree? she thinks.  Then it dawns on her like the sun rising for the first time in months after an arctic winter.  She must have been to tired to remember the night before, but now jacked up on caffeine she remembers the tree between her and Faith’s house that made eerie creaking noises whenever the wind blew hard enough.  Faith had discovered it one windy autumn, and the two of them had always disagreed whether to call it the haunted tree or the ghost tree.  That old tree holds the next clue, and Dawne knows it.
It takes a bit to convince her parents to let her go out into the woods, but Dawne manages just fine.  Once she was out of the house, Dawne runs along the faint, almost unnoticeable trails she and Faith had made until she reaches the ghost tree.  Getting there was no problem, but finding the clue is another matter.  Dawne knows Faith wouldn’t have left the clue out for anybody to see, so she climbs up to her crazy friend’s favorite perch.  Seeing nothing and realizing that the clue was meant for her, Dawne climbs over to her own favorite spot.  It takes her a moment, but she notices that most of the trees in front of her have carvings on them.  When she moves to see more, the carvings line up to form a clue.  The clue says para then it shows three dice and an arrow pointing up.  It takes her a minute to catch on to it’s meaning.  The three dice and para means paradise, and the arrow makes the statement mean above paradise, she thinks.  Dawne knows exactly where that was, and she also for some reason knows that that is where Faith is going to be.  The only thing left was to decide whether or not to go.  Yet, she also knows the answer to that too.  Through this whole process Dawne has learned Faith truly knew her better than anyone else.  Dawne has also realized that she misses Faith more than she would miss her family.  She knows that she will never forgive herself if she doesn’t go to Faith, so that’s what she decides to do. 
As soon as she gets back home, she quickly packs up everything she will need, which isn’t much.  That night as soon as everyone else falls asleep she sneaks out of her room, and out of the house.  The sun is rising when she hears the gurgle of the river that the duo had named paradise, yet that is not all Dawne hears.  The faint barking of dogs and stomping of heavy feet mar the beautiful sound of Paradise.  In a heartbeat Dawne is running before her brain can even consciously register that it is the police trying to track her down.  Once she understands the parameters of the situation, she quickly changes direction away from the hill where Faith wanted to meet her.  While Dawne doesn’t want to get caught, she wants even less for her friend to get caught.  Remembering back to what she knows about tracking dogs, she recognizes that she can’t outrun them and that they aren’t likely to lose her scent if she stays on the ground.  With this knowledge Dawne makes a bold decision, and she scampers up the nearest tree.  Normally this would have ultimately ended with the person being caught, but Dawne is a bit smarter than  your average person.  She knows that her scent trail will lead to the tree, but if she can get far enough away from the tree before she goes back down, her trail will have too far of a gap for the dog to find it again.  Dawne jumps to the closest tree and just barely makes it, and then she jumps to the next, and the next until she is about 20 yards away.  She jumps down and keeps running. 
It’s about noon when she stops, exhausted.  Dawne is sure she lost the police, but she isn’t sure where she is or how to get back to Paradise.  Praying she has a good sense of direction, Dawne back tracks to the best of her ability.  The sun has set by the time she finds a river, but even in the dark she can tell that it’s Paradise.  Even Dawne’s exhaustion is not enough to keep her from climbing up the hill next to the river.  As the clearing on top of the hill comes into view, so does the fact that nobody is there.  Faith must have left already, Dawne thinks completely devastated.  About to cry, she looks up at the stars and relizes that just because Faith isn’t here doesn’t mean she can’t find her.  I got this far didn’t I, she thinks.