Finding Merlin | Teen Ink

Finding Merlin

October 10, 2016
By mpreinhardt, Owingsville, Kentucky
More by this author
mpreinhardt, Owingsville, Kentucky
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chapter 1
I woke up this morning with blood dried on my nose. It was also on my pillow and my sheets.

“Dang it,” I said to myself “If Mom uses this as an excuse to keep me from going on the Alcatraz trip.”
I went down the hall to the kitchen I smelled waffles. Nice. My mom left me a note that said “John’s coming over today, be nice to him. And the boys.”

Shoot. John’s ok. But his kids annoy the crap out of me. They’re sad excuses for people. They are every little sibling ever, but worse - they bite, they kick, they hurt your sensitive places. And also they try to mess up my games. They got me 1000 bounty in every hold in Skyrim. And once I caught them sneaking up on the mayor of Diamond City, about to punch him (while my character was naked. I didn’t ask about that) in Fallout 4. They spent all of my Reales on booze in Black Flag. They really found getting drunk in that game funny. But I guess I could go to the Pier. That’s the one place I can be a jerk and get away with it. I like to lead tourists in the wrong direction.

I then ate my breakfast. Afterwards, I got ready. Then I ran down to the elevator at the
elevator there’s always this pothead guy smoking something different everyday, he takes Sundays and Saturdays off. But the days he’s here, the entire hallway is filled with smoke. So as I came to the elevator I covered up my nose. I didn’t feel like getting high today. I went into elevator and pressed the down button as many times as I could so the smoke wouldn’t get into the elevator. Then the doors finally closed I took a big breath of air. Like I said, not getting high today. When I got to the bottom floor (I live on the top by the way.), I ran to the bus stop. Then I pulled out my phone, 8:15. I cursed under my breath. School’s already started. I ran to school that day, did not care for that. I was sweaty and tired, and really, really pissed when I got there. So then I went into the school and went to class, and of course instead of saying, “Hey Thaddeus, you okay?”

My friends said “ Thaddeus, where the hell were you? Get in class! Mr. Rogers is not very happy with you, he said that if you didn’t get to class, we would leave without you.”
Someone told me

¨He wouldn't do that.” Someone else said

“Even if he wouldn’t do that, which he totally would; we don’t have time to argue. I have to get into class.” I said.

I went into the classroom and sat down. Then Mr. Rogers walked in and looked at me.

“So Thaddeus where were you?” he asked

“What do you mean, I was here the whole time.”

“I mean you weren’t here and we were about to leave. So YOU may stay here.” Mr Rogers said very smugly.

“Nah. I want to go,” I said sarcastically “I mean why wouldn’t I want to go to an old rotting prison where tons of people died from boredom and murder, I mean it is the epitome of beautiful places. I bet it has a five star rating on Trip Advisor” 

Everyone in the class started snickering. Mr. Rogers looked like his vein was gonna pop out of his head. I guessed I had about five seconds before he went off, but like the idiot I am, I just sat there, my feet propped on the desk and I looked right into Mr. Rogers eye. He looked right back. He shook his head up and down, and let out a sound of exasperation.

“Fine. But one slip up. One,” He had a smirk on his face, that kind of smirk that you have when know you’re going to beat someone in Mortal Kombat. “And you’re gone. I don’t mean from Alcatraz. I mean from the school. Forever.”

I then gave him the look you give someone when you hear “Finish Him”, and you were about to die. Then that amazing pause and the…. “Fatality”.

“This will be an interesting trip.” I said.

I had no idea how interesting it would be. No idea.

.     .     .


When I saw the island, I was -to say the least- impressed. It’s hard to describe it. It’s beautiful in the way that the world of Fallout is beautiful. I will never be able to see that place the way I did when I first saw it. Mainly because now it has a whole a big hole in the side of it. Now I’m getting ahead of myself. When the ferry docked we split up into groups; I was in a group with my best friends Alfred and Olivia. (Yes Alfred’s parents are big Batman fans. And yes, Alfred was their favorite character.) We had Olivia's mom with us; I don’t really like Olivia’s mom because she’s always trying to get me to ask out Olivia. Ah middle school. Her mom never could accept that I loved Olivia like a sister not a girlfriend. But again I stray from the point. As we got off the boat I thought I saw something that looked like a big black snake coming toward us.

I nudged Alfred and Olivia.  “That is one big ass cloud. And it looks weird too.” I said.

“Let’s go. I want to see the inside.” Olivia said as she pulled me and Alfred to where her mother had started to wander off. When we went to the entrance of the building I saw that the black cloud was coming closer to the building. I felt my stomach drop as I saw it. I tried to shake the feeling, but I knew something was off. Then we went inside the place was scary looking inside. It looked well cleaned but it was putting me off.  As we walked down the hallway I felt some sort of rumbling I thought “Does that have something to do with the cloud outside” No. Clouds are water.

Then an explosion made a humongous hole in the ceiling. And the wall. And part of the floor. Then that cloud came down and a man with a beard came out of the cloud.

“You know there’s a front door,” I said. “You don’t have to explode a place everytime you go into one. You must be pretty deep in the hole.”

“Silence, child. I am looking for Thaddeus Myers.” The man in Black said.

“Hey Thaddeus,” I said looking over my shoulder “Umm this weird looking guy wants to talk possibly kidnap you.”

So here are my options: 1 Hope my friends don’t rat me out and go with I’m not Thaddeus. 2 Be super brave and tell him I’m Thaddeus. Hmmmm such a hard choice. I’m gonna go with the one when I’m more likely to live.

“I’m going to kill you all if Thaddeus does not show himself now.” Robe guy says.

Dammit. Well might as well let everyone else live and a chance to run.

“I’m Thaddeus.” I said as I stepped forward. Man in Black came forward and picked me up and flew me up above the building.

“Please don’t kill me,” I said “I need to watch Gotham, Arrow, and the Flash.”

Then a silver arrow popped through that guy and then he let go of me as he turned into a pile of jet black dust. Then I started to fall.


                            .      .      .

So I guess somewhere during the fall, I had passed out. But I don’t remember it. Granted, I’ve never passed out before so I don’t know what happens. When I woke up I opened my eyes and saw I was lying on a stone floor. It had some weird cross on it like the Order of St. Dumas in Batman. I looked up and saw a bunch of weirdly dressed people. Remember that part in Assassin’s Creed Unity where the leaders of the French Order told Arno the rules in that weird temple? That’s what this place looked like. So I stood up -I felt sore all over- and I looked at the people who were in the robes.

“I’m sure you have a lot of questions.” One person said.

“Damn right I do,” I said “Like where am I, where are my friends, who are you, and can I have my one phone call?”

“In a safe place, here, people who want to help you, and no.” Another said.

“Bring out Merlin and Guinevere.” The person who I guess was the leader said.

“Who?” I asked.

“You’re friends are descended from Merlin and Guinevere.” The leader said.

“And I should believe you why?” I asked.
“Because we are your best chance chance of survival.” The leader said.

“And how do I know that you aren’t just a bunch of old people having us spry “youngsters” do your dirty work?”

“Because we have a prophecy.” The leader responded.

“And I’m sure I’m just supposed to follow you like a sheep because of an old sheet of paper.”

“Please Thaddeus, you have to listen.” The leader pleaded.

“How do you know my name?”

“We know all about you. And how do you have such a high level in Skyrim?”

“I play it a lot. Wait, don’t try and throw me off. Explain to me why this pertains to me.”

“You are descended from King Arthur.” The leader said “You are the only one who can save yourself, your friends, and your family. It’s stated in the prophecy. Your friends will accompany you but you yourself will save us all.”

“And why should my friends have to deal with this? If I’m the only one who can save these people, why should they carry my burden?” I said questioningly.

“Because they have their own roles to play in this quest. You will not be the only one who has a burden to carry on this quest.” Another one said.

“Fine. But if they get hurt or killed. I will come for you.” I said.

“As we would expect you to. Now you have no time to waste. Get to the armory and get what you need. Then you will come back for your guidance. Master Wilson will show you to the armory.”

I walked down the hall with this Wilson guy. You know when you think of the inside of a medieval castle you think of it all dark and with torches on the wall. That’s what this place was like. For an old guy Wilson walked pretty fast. When I got to the armory Wilson and it unlocked. I went in there there were all sorts of old weapons. Swords, bows, crossbows, axes, maces, knives. All sorts of weapons but not a gun in sight. Alfred and Olivia were both choosing weapons.

“Why are there no guns?” I asked.

“The enemies you are facing have been only exposed to the weapons you see before you. So they can only be affected by these.” Wilson said.

“I don’t understand that and I’m not going to try to.” I said.

Alfred was getting quite the arsenal. He was had two swords sheathed at his hips. A broadsword on his back, along with a bow and arrows. WIth his natural lean muscular build he looked pretty bad-ass. Olivia, only got a couple of things. Knowing her it’s all she needed. She got a mace and a knife. Like I said, it’s all she needs.

I got a sword and a crossbow. And a knife. I tried shooting the crossbow but it was way to hard to pull back. Then I got the bow. I looked at myself in a mirror, I thought I looked ridiculous. Olivia and Alfred they on the other hand could be in like an action movie team. I’d be like the mule that carries all their crap. We went out of the amory the cool kids and me, to get our briefing on how to save the world.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.