The Shadow Child Volume 2 | Teen Ink

The Shadow Child Volume 2

By Sora_, Glenmont, Ohio
Sora_, Glenmont, Ohio

Author's note:

Volume 2 of The Shadow Child. Again, this is not the original cover art, you can find the cover art for this volume on my page. Thanks and I hope to see you in the next volume.

"Sorry Kibō. Did you wait long?"

"No, I still just can't believe I'm welcome here. Not to mention I'm a little lost. W-Where's your room, Yuki-san?" Kibo asked.

"Right here. By the way, you can call me Yuki. I mean, since you're part of the family now."

"O-Oh. Okay, Yuki." Kibō said hesitantly.

The two talked to each other for a little while longer. Yuki mostly talked about her family and friends, whereas Kibō talked about his experiences throughout his lifetime. They both went to bed later that evening. Yuki threw down a futon for Kibō to lay on. To Kibō's surprise, the futon was pretty comfortable, too bad Kibō couldn't get to sleep. He was still too excited about what had happened that day and what could possibly happen the next day.

The next day was pretty sunny, although the weather called for rain later that day. Yuki seemed to be to in high spirits. Kibō slept in. He didn't get to sleep until very late. He didn't wake up until early afternoon. He stumbled down the stairs half-asleep as he looked around.

He had forgotten about Yuki's family taking him in. When he got downstairs, he saw Yuki and her parents in the living room, watching the television.

"Well hello, sleepyhead. How are you feeling?" His new mother asked.

"I'm fine. Thank you again for having me." Kibō said gratefully.

"Now, Kibō dear. I told you to stop with the formalities. Okay?"

"Yes, ma'am. Er, I mean…yes, M-M-Mom. Um… are you sure I'm not going to be a bother?" Kibō asked hesitantly.

"Now dear. You will never be a bother to us at all. Do you hear me?" His mom assured him.

"But… yeah."

Kibō knew that, just like with Yuki, there was no arguing with her, either. Kibō walked into the living room and sat down by Yuki. Other than the sounds of the television, there was silence between the four. After a few minutes, Kibō broke the silence.

"Um… if I could ask, is this all you do in the daytime?"

"Well, for the most part. Sometimes we go out, but most of the time, we just stay inside where it's nice and cool. Sorry, we're a little lazy." His mom said with guilt.

"N-No no, I didn't mean it like that. I was just wondering is all." Kibō said as he waved his arms.

"Oh, is that so?" His mom said as she smirked.

Kibō noticed his mother had a slight glimmer in her eye. He wasn't quite sure what she was thinking, but he didn't like the atmosphere in the room at all.

"Hey, Yuki dear. Do you have anything planned today?" She asked Yuki.

"Hmm? Um, I don't think so. Why?" Yuki said as she thought about the day.

"Well, I thought it'd be good for you two to go out and enjoy yourselves. How does that sound?" Their mom offered.

Kibō's face turned red as he stumbled up.

"N-No, that's ok. We can just stay here. I don't mind if we stay here." Kibō said.

"Eh, are you saying that you don't want to go out with Yuki? Do you not like her?" She asked him as she tilted her head slightly.

Yuki's face turned red, when Kibō's face got even redder.

"W-W-W-What do you mean? I mean, I like her, but it's just…"

Kibō's voice trailed off as he got more nervous.

"Well then, it's settled. You two are going out and that's final! How's that, dear?" She said as she turned her head to their dad.

"Hmm? That's alright. I don't see a problem with it." He said as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Now go get ready you guys."

Kibō and Yuki went up to their room, not saying anything to each other. After they got upstairs, Kibō broke the silence.

"Um… sorry, but do you guys have anything I can wear?"

"Um…n-no. Sorry, we probably don't have anything that fits you." Yuki replied.

"Oh. Well, crap. That sucks."

"Y-Yeah. Well, I guess it's a good thing we're going out today, huh?" Yuki said with a grin.

"Yeah, guess so."

Kibō was ready in a few minutes.

"Are you ready?" Kibō called.

"Almost. You can wait for me downstairs, if you want." Yuki offered.

"Alright. I'll be downstairs when you're ready." Kibō replied.

Kibō left the room and went downstairs while Yuki finished up. Both were nervous about going out together.

"Kibō? I-I'm ready. Is it okay if I wait outside?"

"Yeah, sure. Be there in a second." Kibo replied.

"You guys have fun. Okay?" Their mom said.

"We will." Kibo assured her.

Kibō threw on some shoes that his parents gave him and threw open the door. Yuki was standing at the end of the sidewalk. When Kibō threw the door open, Yuki jerked around in Kibō's direction. She was wearing red shorts that went down to her knees, a light blue sleeveless shirt, and pink and white shoes. With her blonde hair that went down to the middle of her back, all that stopped Kibō as he barely got out the door.

"Are you ready?" Yuki asked.

Kibō nodded as he walked over to Yuki.

"Where do you want to go?" Kibō asked.

"Let's see. Do you want to get some clothes first?" Yuki suggested.

"Yeah, but do you have any money?"

"Yeah, Mom gave me some. More than we need, too, so I think we should be okay." Yuki said as she patted her shorts pocket.

"Oh, really? Sorry, I've gotta be a burden on you guys." Kibō said as he scratched the back of his head.

"We don't mind at all. As long as my parents and I are able to take care of you." Yuki assured Kibō with a smile.

"T-Thanks." Kibō replied.

They started walking to the nearest clothing store. Neither one said a word, until they went a direction Kibō didn't recognize.

"Um… why are we going down this street?" Kibō asked, confused.

"We're going to the clothing store. It's about a block or two away." Yuki replied back.

Confused, Kibō kept walking with Yuki, unsure of where he was. They arrived at the clothing store moments later. After walking into the store, Kibō stopped.

"Whoa! Holy crap, there's a lot!" Kibō exclaimed.

"Yeah. Come on. Let's look for something." Yuki said as she walked deeper into the clothing store.

"Okay, wait up."

Kibō and Yuki looked around the store. The store had almost everything for almost all ages. Kibō just got a short-sleeved shirt and a pair of shorts, though.

"Damn, that was actually kinda cool. Where should we go next?" Kibō asked.

"I'm not sure. I'm getting a little hungry, do you want to get something to eat?" Yuki asked.

"Hell yeah! That'd be awesome!" Kibō said with excitement.

"Ok, I think there's a café in this town, but it's a little ways away."

"That's alright. If you get tired, I could always carry you." Kibō said sarcastically, but a little serious.

"T-That won’t be necessary."

Embarrassed and red-faced, Yuki walked away. Kibō followed her. He thought that it was a good thing to help a girl if she needed it.

After walking what felt like a mile or two in complete silence, they arrived at the café. They walked in and sat down in a booth two booths from the door. The café wasn't that big. Enough to fit six booths along the wall, and a few tables and chairs. After sitting down, Kibō noticed a group of boys in a booth at the end.

There were three boys in the group; one was sitting against the wall facing Kibō and Yuki, and the other two were facing away from them. There was a bad atmosphere within the area, but Kibō couldn't quite figure it out. Suddenly, the boy facing Kibō sprang to his feet. Standing awkwardly from being pinned between the table and the booth, the boy screamed to the waitresses.

"Hey, lady! Let's get some more soda over here. Make it snappy, too." The boy demanded.

As the boy stood there shouting, Kibō instantly recognized him.

“Dammit! Why is he here? If that a-hole says or does anything to Yuki…” Kibo thought in anger.

As the boy was yelling, he noticed Kibō and Yuki. He started walking over, almost with a stride. As he got to their table, he slammed his hand on the table, which startled the two, even though Kibō saw him coming.

"Well, hey there Yuki. How's it going?" the boy greeted excitefully.

"H-Hey, I'm doing well." Yuki replied with a surprised look on her face.

As the boy straightened and smiled, he noticed Kibō sitting on the other side of the booth.

"Hmm? Well well, and who is this?" the boy asked as he leaned over the table to get a better look at Kibō.

"U-Um… this is Kibō." Yuki replied.

"Well, hey there Kibō. How's it going?" the boy asked, still leaning over the table.

"I-I'm doing alright." Kibō replied with a smirk.

"So Yuki, is Kibō your friend?" the boy asked as he turned his head towards Yuki.

Yuki sat in silence as if she was thinking about something. Both Kibō and the boy looked at Yuki blankly.

"Yuki?" the boy moved closer to Yuki.

"He-He's my brother." Yuki said nervously.

"Eh!! Really? I didn't know you had a brother." The boy said dumbstruck as he jumped back.

"Y-Yeah. I didn't know, either. I just found out a couple of days ago." Yuki said as she tilted her head and smiled.

"Huh. Well, nice. Oh, crap. Heh heh, sorry, my name's Yūyō. Yūyō Uso. Nice to meetcha, man." He said as he scratched his head.

"Y-Yeah, same here."

"Well, got to go. See ya later." Yūyō said as he jogged back to his table.

As Yūyō went back to his friends, Kibō stared at him until he reached his table. Kibō was completely stunned by the way he treated both Yuki and him.

"That Yūyō, he always seems to pop out of nowhere.” Yuki said.

Yuki noticed Kibō had this puzzled look on his face.

"A-Are you okay?" Yuki asked.

"Hmm? Y-Yeah, don't worry about it. I'm fine." Kibō replied, waving his hand in assurance.

After the conversation with Yūyō, they went through their mealtime like normal. Kibō was still a little confused, though.

“That's odd. Why did he act like that? I mean, he was nice and all, but why was he so damn nice? I just don't get it.” Kibō thought in confusion.

They finished their meal and left the restaurant. Yūyō had already left a while ago.

"Wow, that was a good meal, wasn't it?" Kibō said in exhaustion.

"Yeah, it was." Yuki agreed.

"So, what do you want to do now?"

"I'm not sure. The sun's going down, though, so maybe we should head for home." Yuki suggested.

"Yeah. Good idea."

Kibō and Yuki headed for home. They talked about the day, laughing and smiling and occasionally someone got embarrassed. It was almost dark when they arrived at the house.

"We're home." Yuki called.

"Ah, welcome home, you two. How was your day?" Their mom asked.

"It was okay." Yuki replied.

"Okay? It was awesome! We had so much fun! Thanks, Mrs. Mashiro." Kibō exclaimed in delight.

"Now Kibō, what did I tell you." His mom said sternly.

"Er…t-thanks, Mom." Kibō said in a low tone of voice.

"You're very welcome, son."

A week has passed since Yuki and Kibō's day out. Kibō went out every day, even if it was to walk Yuki home.

Yuki was home one day doing homework when Kibō saw her.

"What are you doing?" Kibō asked.

"Oh, just some homework." Yuki responded without looking up.

Kibō sat down on his bed, which is still currently the futon. There was a silence in the room except for the tapping of pencil on paper.

"What's homework?" Kibō asked, breaking the silence.

Yuki immediately stopped writing. She sighed as swiveled around in her chair.

"Let's see now…"

The further Yuki got into her explanation, the more Kibō's face turned into a frown.

"Damn, that sounds stupid. Why would you want to do something so boring like that?" Kibō said with a frown.

Yuki explained even further. Kibō was still a little confused, but his face did return to the blank expression that it was before.

"Oh…alright. I think I got it." Kibō said.

Kibō smiled and scratched his head as Yuki also smiled and went back to work. He at least got the concept.

"Jeez, if only I could go to school. You're smarter than me in almost everything."

Yuki stopped writing and started to turn in her chair, but stopped herself. Kibō thought she was going to say something, but she just turned and went back to work. Kibō fell back on the futon.

"Jeez, I'm beat." Kibō said with a sigh.

The next day was normal. Nothing special was happening. Kibō, Yuki, and their parents were downstairs watching the television. Kibō fell backwards onto the floor and sighed.

"Jeez, I'm bored. Is there anything else we could do besides watch TV?"

"There are some books to read. Do you want one of those?" His mom suggested.

Kibō looked over at his mother with a frown.

"No, I'm fine. I'll get even more bored if I read a book."

"Oh, come on. Reading is good for you." She said with a smile.

Kibō looked away while sighing.

"Wait! I got a better idea!" She exclaimed.

Kibō looked at her, still wearing a frown on his face.

"You two should go out again."

"Again Mom?" Kibō and Yuki said in unison.

"What do you mean, "Again?" You don't want go out with Kibō again today?" Their mom asked.

"We-Well, i-it's not like that." Yuki stammered.

"Alright, you two are going."

Without saying a word, Kibō and Yuki went upstairs and got ready. This time, they came down together.

"So where do you want to go?" Kibō asked.

"I'm not sure." Yuki replied.

Unsure about where to go, Kibō walked into the living room.

"Hey, Mom. Where do we go?" Kibō asked.

"I don't know. I think I heard something about an amusement park opening up, though."

Out of nowhere, Yuki burst through the doorway into the living room. Her face wore the look of excitement.

"The amusement park's open?! Can we go? Can we go?" Yuki begged.

"I don't see why not. I'm sure big, handsome Kibō could protect you." Their mom said with a smirk.

"Mom!"

Their mom smiled as Kibō and Yuki both complained in unison.

"Oh, c'mon. I'm just teasing. What do you think, dear?"

"Yeah, sounds alright. Just do me one favor, Kibō."

His father got up from the couch and walked over to Kibō with a serious look on his face. Kibō wasn't sure what was going on.

"Listen here, Kibō. I'm entrusting my daughter's safety in your hands. If anything is different about her that is bad, you will regret it. Do you understand?" His dad said in a stern voice.

"Y-Y-Yes sir, Mr. Mashiro." Kibō said as if he was talking to a military official.

"Good God, Kibō. I told you to call me Dad."

"Y-Yes, Dad."

Kibō face now wore the look of fear. He had never seen this side of his father before.

"Okay, then. You guys have fun." Their mom said.

"Yay!" Yuki said as she danced to the door.

Their mom gave Kibō some money and sent him off with Yuki.

Yuki was outside dancing around when Kibō walked out.

"Are you ready?" Yuki asked.

"Oh, yeah. C'mon, let's go." Kibō replied.

Yuki twirled down the sidewalk with glee as Kibō walked behind her. Even though he worried about what his father meant, he was still happy about going out with Yuki again.

"C'mon, slowpoke!" Yuki called from down the sidewalk.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm comin'."

"Wow! Amazing!"

"It is, isn't it?" Kibō said in agreeance.

Finally, they arrived at the amusement park. It was a long walk, yet Yuki was still beaming with energy. She rushed in, making Kibō have to keep up with her.

"Oh, c'mon. I'm tired as it is." Kibō thought.

For the first ten minutes, they didn't ride anything. Yuki was so starstruck by everything in the park. They were food stands, games, and tons of rides.

After a few minutes, Kibō calmed Yuki down.

"C'mon, dammit. Settle down."

"Oh! Eh heh heh. Sorry, I've never been to an amusement park before." Yuki apologized with a smile.

"I haven't, either. Do you see me bouncing all over the place?" Kibō reasoned.

"Kibō! Look, look! Let's ride that one!" Yuki said with excitement.

"She's not even listening." Kibō thought in annoyance.

After a few rides, Yuki is finally starting to calm down.

"Wow. This is so much fun. I just love this place." Yuki said, finally sitting down for a breather.

Yuki and Kibō got some food at a crepe stand and sat down on a bench. Yuki smiled as she ate her crepe.

"This is really nice. I'm having so much fun today. Thank you so much for taking me out again today, Kibō."

Yuki smiled greatly. This was a different smile, though. Gratitude? Happiness? Whatever it was, Kibō couldn't look at her for more than a few minutes. Kibō turned his embarrassed face from her.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Yuki said, getting closer to Kibō.

"Y-Yeah. I'm fine. It's nothing."

Hiding his embarrassment, Kibō sprang up from the bench, scarfed down the rest of his crepe, and jerked around to face Yuki.

"Well, you're having lots o' fun, right? Why are we sitting around here? Let's have some more fun, huh?" Kibō said, smiling.

"Alright."

Yuki jumped up from the bench. She ran ahead while Kibō tried to keep up with her.

"Damn! For a little girl, she's really fast." Kibō thought, surprised.

Kibō and Yuki rode rides, played games and ate good food for the rest of the day. Hours had passed until they heard a loud speaker.

"Attention everyone. The park will close at 8:00. I repeat, the park will close at 8:00. Thank you for coming and please come again."

"What time is it, Kibō?" Yuki asked.

"About 7:50." Kibō said, looking at a nearby clock.

"Aww, that stinks. I don't wanna leave." Yuki complained childishly.

"Yeah, I know. We gotta, though." Kibō said.

Yuki pouted the whole way out of the amusement park and down the road a little ways. Kibō couldn't take it anymore.

"C'mon. Cheer up, Yuki." Kibō said.

Yuki stayed silent as she walked down the sidewalk.

"Jeez. Okay, listen. Since you like the amusement park so much, how about we go the next time it opens up?" Kibō offered.

Kibō had had his head turned away from Yuki. When Kibō didn't hear an answer, he turned his head towards Yuki. He saw Yuki staring up at him with the look of excitement.

"Really?! Do you really mean it?!" Yuki said beaming.

"Y-Yeah. Sure."

"Yay~. Thank you, Kibō. You really are a good person. I'm glad you're my big brother." She said with a smile.

"Well, I'm not really your big brot-"

"Be quiet! You're my big brother and that's that. We're family, okay?" Yuki interrupted.

Startled by her sudden outburst, Kibō was at a loss for words. She seemed to be waiting for an answer. Kibō tried to say something. She was waiting, after all.

"B-But…"

Yuki got closer to him. She was mere centimeters from him. This made Kibō take a step backwards.

"Okay. Yeah, we're family." Kibō said, turning his head away.

"Okay, then. Let's get home before it gets even darker. Okay, big brother?"

Kibō glanced back at Yuki. In the daytime, Yuki's smile had beauty in it by itself. It was different in the moonlight, though. Kibō was looking at a girl that was smiling at him as moonlight poured over the two. It seemed more natural, though.

“Y-Yeah. Okay, S-Sis.”

It's been about one and a half weeks since Kibō and Yuki's amusing day out. Yuki goes to school like normal and Kibō hits a time of boredom like normal. There is something odd with the family, though. Kibō's noticed it ever since they got back from the amusement park.

They all had just finished lunch when Kibō was going to go upstairs.

"Oh, wait a second, Kibō. Can you come here for a minute?" His mom asked.

"Sure. What's up?"

Kibō followed her into the living room. Yuki and their father were already sitting down on the couch when they walked in.

"What's… going on?" Kibō asked, not sure what to think.

Kibō stopped a few feet from the entrance way. The atmosphere was different between the two rooms. Kibō instantly recognized this atmosphere.

He stood there for a minute until his mother called him.

"C'mon, Kibō. Come here."

Kibō nodded and slowly walked to the lone chair across from his mother. As he sat down, his mother got something that was out of Kibō's view until now. It seemed to be a box that was wrapped in a wrapping paper of sorts. It was just a regular, yet sturdy, box. The wrapping paper was royal blue and green stripes.

"Here, Kibō. Open it." She said.

His mother smiled as she passed the box to Kibō. Kibō thought about what could be in it, but nothing could surface in his mind. He looked around to everyone looking and smiling at him. Hesitantly, he ripped the odd colored wrapping paper. The box slowly appeared before him. Surprisingly, the box was in very well condition. The box wasn't tapped close, though. It just seemed that the top of the box was folded in on itself.

Kibō opened the box only to pull out Yuki's school uniform. Perplexed, Kibō turned to Yuki with a confused face.

"Why's your uniform in here, Sis?" He asked.

"What do you mean? Mine's upstairs in our closet." Yuki replied.

Kibō turned his puzzled face back to the uniform. After staring at it for a little, Kibō noticed that Yuki's uniform and the uniform in front of him had a difference or two between each other. They were small differences, but he could tell them apart.

Yuki's uniform was the same brown and yellow as all the other uniforms from the school. That is understood. It had something that resembled a yellow scarf that went around the neck and was tied in a knot. The collar was a light brown and went to about mid-shoulder and resembled some kind of small cape on the back.

Although, this one had a tie that went down near the stomach and a collar that only reached the collarbone. As he was inspecting it, he remembered Yūyō from when they first met. He seemed to be wearing the same outfit that was right in front of him. Even more puzzled, Kibō turned his head back to Yuki.

"This looks like your uniform. Is it from your school?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's the boy's uniform for my school." She replied.

"Oh, okay."

Kibō looked down at the uniform. Bewildered, Kibō lifted his head and looked at everyone.

"Are you…are you giving it to me?" Kibō hesitantly asked.

"Yessir, my boy. What do you think?" His dad asked.

"It's fine. I like it, but why are you giving it to me?"

"Well. We were told by a certain someone that because you've never had a home, you've never gone to school. Am I wrong?" His mom said.

Kibō knew exactly who it was. Kibō threw a glance at Yuki. She made her red face look down between her knees as she grew a small grin on it.

"Kibō? Am I wrong?" She repeated.

Startled, Kibō snapped his head back to his mother.

"N-No, ma'am."

"I thought so. So I tried to pull some strings with some people at Yuki's school."

"What do you mean?" Kibō asked, confused.

"How would you like to go to Yuki's school?" She asked.

"What are you talking about? I pick her up every day after school." Kibō said with a straight face.

"Ah yes. Sorry, let me say that again a little differently."

Kibō waited as she seemed to reword her question in a different way.

"How would you like to attend Yuki's school and wear the uniform as a student?"

Kibō's entire body went numb.

"What the-! What the hell did she say? She couldn't have… could she? There's no way. I've gotta be hearing things. Yeah, yeah. That's it. I just heard her wrong." Kibō thought in a panic.

"Sorry. Could you repeat that? I don't think I heard you right." Kibō said, grinning and acting as if cleaning out an ear.

"How would you like to attend Yuki's school and wear the uniform as a student?" She repeated.

Kibō froze.

"Okay. I definitely heard her that time." Kibō thought.

Kibō sat there, frozen, trying to comprehend what she just said.

"Ki-"

As his mother was getting his attention, Kibō burst out of his seat, startling everyone.

"Hell yeah, that'd be freaking awesome!"

Kibō threw out those words without even thinking of where he was and who he was with. Kibō bowed as he apologized.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say that in front of you guys."

Everyone was taken aback. There was a silence that entered the room.

"Oh no. I screwed up really bad this time! What are they gonna do now?" Kibō thought in a worse panic.

The silence seemed to linger. That silence only made Kibo's anxiety grow by the second.

"Well then, Kibō. Why don't you go try it on. I'm sure it'd look great on you." His mom said with a smile.

"Come on, honey. You'll be able to see it on him tomorrow. The kid's had a long, boring day. Why don't you let him relax until tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow? Do you mean…" Kibō asked, raising his head only.

"Yessir, my boy. Tomorrow's your first day of school."

Hey guys! Thanks so much for reading this volume. I put some work into it and I think it came out okay. I have to say, though I won't be able to post any more volumes. I'm very sorry, please forgive me!

I'm currently trying to get into college, but it's kinda hard. I'll still work on the series so don't worry.

Well, that's all I have to say. Thank you so much for checking me out and maybe even following me. I hope we can meet again in the future. Seriously, I can't thank you enough. You're all awesome. I hope to see you soon. Bye-bye, guys!