Island Grave | Teen Ink

Island Grave

By chairman, fort worth, Texas
chairman, Fort Worth, Texas

Flying
Today is the day. The day Jona and her brother were flying to see their father. It had been a year since he died, and Jona felt it in her heart. Whenever Jona and her brother had heard the news, Jona was gutted. She took it especially hard, considering her great relationship with her father. They did share the same power.

They would be making a trip to the Philippines, where her father was buried, and stay with family. Their mom felt it was a good idea to be closer to him in their time of grief. Jona didn’t want to leave her mother alone, but she also really wanted to see her father.

When Jona and Junior finally entered the airport, they were overwhelmed by a number of sights and smells there were. Just as they entered they were off to find flight 247 running through a bustling crowd of men dressed in suits, women in the highest of heels and small kids yelling about how they didn't want to go.  Among all that, there was one small sign that read, “Flight 247” Jona grabbed Junior’s hand and started bolting towards it. Going this fast, Jona could barely pay attention to what was in front of her, and before she could see the man it was too late. Jona rammed into a man at the cafe making him spill his searing hot coffee all over himself and then let out the loudest squeal that she had ever heard. Jona didn't even turn her head or stop to ask if he was okay. They were too distracted by the thought of being late. Jona, along with Junior, let out a sigh of relief when they finally reached the jet bridge. When they finally found their seats it was the happiest days of their lives.

It took 3 hours before the plane could take off due to the pilot feeling queasy, but at last, the plane took off, and they were both ready to meet their father's grave in the Philippines. Junior had always loved flying; ever since he was a baby he would only play with airplanes, and when he took his first flight he acted as if it was a whole new world. Jona was just the opposite. She didn't care much for flying at all. She had always had this fear of crashing into an abandoned island and being trapped there forever. Just as they gotten in the air, there was a bolt of lightning that came out of the sky and shook the whole plane as if it were a ragdoll. Sporadically, one of the passengers said, “Look at the engine!” As soon as Jona noticed, she started screaming. There was a giant fireball on the side of the plane that used to be an engine.  A flight attendant ran out of the c***pit screaming, “He’s dead!” Everybody on the plane instantly knew who he was, the pilot. At this point, both Jona and Junior had fainted and the last thing that they felt was a strong thud.

When Jona finally woke up she felt the worst she had ever felt in her life. Jona looked around and realized where she was. She looked around and saw bits of charred metal and cargo bags scattered around a beach, and just beyond her was a dense and lush forest that had one strange path right down the middle of it. Out of nowhere, Junior came up behind her and spooked her. Jona ignored him and then started thinking about all the bad things that could happen and had a panic attack. Jona then whined to her brother, “Junior I'm scared! I don't know if we'll ever be able to get home again, and being trapped on an island is my biggest fear... I just don't know.” Jona saw in Junior's eyes that he knew how sad she was, so he proclaimed,  “Don't worry, we've conquered almost everything we’ve ever faced together. You think a little deserted island can stop us? Just calm down, and think of all the good times we’ve had. Also, you're the only thing on this island that can morph into an animal anytime they want.” Jona knew that if Junior could be happy at this time then she had to cheer up as well.
“You’re right, Junior,” Jona admitted. She knew that they had to keep a clear, calm head, but it was so hard considering the circumstance. She felt dizzy as if a billion different thoughts were bouncing around her brain. Jona took deep breaths and started thinking about what their first step was. She glanced at her older brother and saw he was looking around the area, but never looked down. He was studying the plants. Jona saw ferns mainly, but there were so many trees.
“I think we should get started on our shelter for tonight,” Junior stated. Jona agreed, knowing he had always been the smart one. She followed his lead with no hesitation. Junior stopped at almost every plant in sight. There was a lot to work with, but there wasn’t much you could do with bare hands and a pocket knife. Jona thought back to Junior’s weapon. In this case, it was a good thing he had always been a little paranoid.
“Hey Junior, what do you see? Can you cut anything down with it?” She asked. Jona was starting to grow restless. It was going to get dark soon, and the last thing she wanted was to sleep without a shelter. She was perfectly safe considering her way with animals, but her brother, well he wasn’t as fortunate.
“These trees right here. They’re not extremely thick, but we’ll have to work. I’ll start on these and you can weave some material. The ferns look good, just make sure it’s thick,” he ordered. Jona turned directly to the task at hand. As long as she had something to do, she  could keep calm.
After hours of hard work, they had built something worthy. They were drenched in sweat and exhausted from all of their labor. Hunger had developed naturally. They had eaten on the plane, but it wasn’t much. Next objective: food.
Junior and Jona walked around, always making sure to keep camp in mind. Jona found plenty of plants, but none were edible. Junior had collected some things, but it wasn’t a lot. Jona was craving a huge feast, and eating vegetarian style was her last choice. She picked whatever Junior was looking at, and tried to help out as much as she could.
J

The noise grew bigger and louder, as did her fear. Someone finally stepped out and revealed himself. He was older. He had to be at least 50. The man had longer gray hair and a scruffy, dirty beard. His clothes were torn and gross, probably from the amount of times he’s worn them. Jona was disgusted. She questioned how long he had been stuck on the island. It looked like he had grown up here.

“I am Gruder. I’m not here to fight, I promise. I heard the crash from my camp and traveled to see if there were any survivors. You two seem to be the only ones. Is that true?”

Jona looked to Junior in reassurance. Could this man actually be trusted? How did they know he wasn’t out to steal their stuff? Junior nodded and began to speak.

“I’m Junior, and this is Jona, my sister. From what we saw, we are the only survivors. How long have you been here?” He asks. Jona stood silently in the background. She had no intention of making herself known.

“I lost count ages ago. I counted up to five years, but after that, I gave up. I can help you. I’ve learned to live here by myself. Do you kids want to head to my camp? I have food for you,” Gruder explains. Jona is a little hesitant on trusting this guy so fast, but he’s the only one here who knows what he’s doing. It would be silly to resist his offer. Junior and Jona nodded in acceptance and followed the old man.

After walking through many trees, they finally found a shelter in the distance that looked strong and sturdy. It had clearly been worked on for years like he said. It had leaves woven together in every way. There were sticks tied up and standing and a fire was lit dimly underneath the intricate hut. The land had been cleared for yards away from his shelter. Jona was amazed at what she saw.

Gruder led them inside with a smile on his face. Jona seemed a little intimidated by it, but she didn’t act upon her gut feeling. Junior didn’t show any fear or reluctance, so she didn’t bother. They sat down in the middle of the hut, and Gruder immediately handed them their food. It was meat. Exactly what it was, they could not say, but Jona was thankful. In addition to the delicious meat, he gave them berries. They had never seen these berries before. The purplish fruit was completely foreign to them. Without thought, they devoured the sweet food. Jona couldn’t have been happier to find this man.

Soon after, she began to feel dizzy. Jona laid down on the dirt floor underneath her. She felt awful and all she wanted to do was close her eyes and sleep her pain away. Her brother stayed by her side telling her to rest. Jona heard Junior ask for water from Gruder, and that was the last thing she heard before falling asleep.

Jona woke up feeling groggy and weak. She remembered her situation and groaned. She was incredibly sore from the crash and she desperately needed water The girl looked around for Gruder, but he was nowhere to be seen. She tried to stand up but couldn’t. Jona was tied up and had no ability to move. She panicked. Where was Junior? Why was she tied up?

“Junior! Help me! Where are you? Why am I tied up? Help! Help!” Jona screamed continuously. She found Junior in the corner away from her still sleeping. She managed to wake him up by her constant yelling.

“Junior, I knew we shouldn’t have trusted him. Gruder has been alone here for years! He’s probably insane! How do we get out of here?” she cried. This had to be the worst moment of her life. Being stuck on an island and tied up was definitely not her best.

“Relax, okay? I still have my knife in my pocket. I’ll find a way to get us out,” he said.

Junior wriggled until he could reach his knife. Jona was concerned about when Gruder would return. What would he do if he caught them trying to escape? When he grabbed the knife he immediately went to the ropes around his hands. Once he got out he turned to his sister and worked on her ties. While he was working on them, Jona heard footsteps from outside.

“Junior hurry! He’s coming!” she wailed. He tried cutting faster, but nothing was happening. It was too late. Gruder had walked in and found them, and he looked furious.

“I see you’ve managed to escape the ties. I’ve been on this island far too long to be alone again. I’ve lived in solitude for years, and I will not lose my opportunity to be with people again. You can not leave me. I will not let you,” Gruder told them. Jona was terrified and angry.

“You cannot hold us captive for your own special needs! You could have politely asked us to stay, but no. You tied us up and tried to keep us here against our will. We are not staying with you! You can’t make us!” she exclaimed. Her emotions drove her actions.

“Child, I have my ways. Your brother can’t save you now,” he threatened. He grabbed Junior, knocked him out, and took him away. Jona screamed and thrashed her body in an attempt to get out of her ties, but it did nothing. Gruder was already gone.

Jona cried for hours after they were separated. Junior wasn’t far, in fact, he was 30 feet away. The only thing blocking them was a wall of woven leaves and sticks. She couldn’t see her brother, and that terrified her. She had no idea what Gruder would do to him. Jona was losing hope. She wished to leave this island and hoped it was all a dream.

Jona searched all around the island, hoping to find Junior. Jona heard, “Help! Jona, can you hear me?!” Jona knew that was Junior’s faint voice in the distance. His voice echoed, and Jona followed it. Finally, Jona found Junior on the other side of the island, and Gruder spots Jona trying to escape with Junior.

“I guess someone has found their brother,” Gruder says with a big smirk across his wrinkly face. “You two will never leave this island; you will be with me forever.” Gruder slowly walks towards Jona and unexpectedly attacks her. Jona morphed into the strongest animal she could think of; a big, brown, mighty grizzly bear. She rolled over and ended up on top of Gruder. Gruder’s body couldn’t handle the bear’s weight, and his eyes slowly closed shut. It seemed to Jona that he fainted or passed out; she saw an opportunity to run away from Gruder.

“Junior, let’s leave him before he wakes up!” Jona commanded Junior. Instead of leaving Gruder, Junior decided to help the hopeless man and carried him on his back. Jona went along with it because Junior was very intelligent, so it was probably the smart thing to do. When they reached the coastline of the island, Jona turned into a big whale. Junior dragged Gruder onto Jona’s blue, crystal back. Jona swam around the ocean with Gruder and Junior on her back, and she was in doubt that they would find the Philippines. Junior falls asleep on Jona’s back on this long journey. Finally, in the distance, Jona sees bright, green, emerald grass. “Wake up Junior! We are getting close to some land!” Jona exclaimed with pure excitement. Junior’s eyes were slightly open, but when he saw land, his eyes shot wide open.

Jona, Junior, and Gruder finally arrived at the surface, and they quickly ran to help. Junior finds a lady that looked like she was in her late forties or early fifties and asked, “Where are we right now?” The lady had a confused look on her face and responded, “We are in the Philippines. Is everything alright?” Junior told everything that happened on the island. She quickly dials 911 to get help for them. After ten minutes, the ambulance grabs Gruder and drives him to the hospital. Jona, Junior, and the lady tag along with the ambulance, and when they reached the hospital, they learned that Gruder’s real name is Travis Robins. Tears start rolling down the lady’s face, “He is my fiancé, and we were supposed to see each other after all these years, but that day never came.” There was a moment of silence, and the doctor broke it by saying that it will take him a while to recover.

After the lady calmed down, she got the courage to finally say something, “Why were you guys visiting the Philippines?” Jona proceeded to explain about her father’s grave. The lady asked what was their dad’s name,  and Junior answer was Billy Mays. The ladies facial expression widen, and she told Junior and Jona, “Billy, your father, was close to me and my fiancé. He was a great man.” After a conversation about Billy, the doctor told them that Travis should be fully recovered in about eight or nine months. Until then, the lady will be by Travis’s side the entire ride. The lady knew exactly where Billy’s grave was, so the four of them all went down to grief at Billy May’s grave.