Sleeping Beauty | Teen Ink

Sleeping Beauty

By picklechic1, San Antonio, Texas
picklechic1, San Antonio, Texas

“Aurora, wake up,” Phillip whispered, vigorously shaking me. “Come on, wake up,” Phillip stated again. “It’s no use,” Phillip said with tears streaming down his face. “What’s no use?” I asked him. As he turned to see who’s voice it was, his face lit up with relief and excitement. “Good, you are awake, but I cannot stay here. I have to go and hide before they get back. If they try to hurt and you scream, I will hear it.” Phillip said briskly. He kissed my forehead, then dashed away.
It felt as if I was waking up from a lifetime long nightmare. “Where am I? Where did Phillip go?” I asked myself. As I tried to stand up, I realized my hands were tied behind my back connecting me to a large black pole in the middle of the room. Frantically, I tried to free my hands, but it was no use. After many failed attempts, I decided to scan the room I was in. There were pictures of me, maps with pins on them, newspaper clippings, and missing posters all over the room. The question, “who has been watching me?” popped into my head.  In that moment, they walked into the room.
“Look Ralph, Sleeping Beauty has finally awoken from her 100 year slumber,” said a tall, amusing himself. “Except her prince ran off without her,” Ralph said as he fell to the floor in laughter. “Get up you imbecile,” Blade said with a fierce expression on his face while grabbing Ralph by his shirt. Giving me a deep stare, Blade said “so princess, let’s talk about your father. What is his job exactly?” “My father is a social studies teacher at Saint Mary’s University,” I said lying right to his face. “My name is Blade and there is one thing I hate more than being called Blake. Do you know what that is? Being lied to! I will give you one chance Aurora, and one chance only. What does your father do?” Blade said with a fire in his eyes. Shivering with fear, I said “he does work at Saint Mary’s University, but he is the computer specialist.” “Now, how hard was that?” Ralph said trying to look as intimidating as Blade. “My partner and I have done some research. We know that the U.S. Government has hired your father to make a certain program to identify certain people on a private location on the internet.” Ralph said trying to give me as little information as possible. Right as I was about to respond, his phone rang.
“If you say a word, you won’t ever get the privilege of seeing your father again.” Blade said in a very frightening tone. “Boss?” Blade asked trying not act like a scared pussy cat. “What does he want?” Ralph asked with his face now pallid. “Yes sir. I understand,” replied Blade with Ralph right next to his ear eavesdropping on their intense conversation. “Come on, we have to go now Ralph. We will be back to deal with you later, Princess,” Blade said walking out the door with Ralph trailing behind him. “I will be waiting,” I replied with sarcasm. All of a sudden I heard a spraying sound and I became very light headed. After about 30 seconds, everything went black.

Still in and out of consciousness, I hear Phillip.  “Not again,” Phillip said disappointed. “This is going to be so cliche, but here goes nothing,” Phillip said with a mellow tone. He bent down and kissed me on the lips. His face lit up once he realized I was kissing him back. “I am so glad you are okay,” Phillip said with a smile on his face. My face became a light sanguine color. “Your father said that he would do whatever they wanted him to do. He would even give up his program to save you,” Phillip said trying to light a flame of hope inside me. There was a little spark, but it was quickly blown out by a zephyr once I remembered how hard he worked on his program. “They are coming back, you to have go.” Speaking with a concerned tone. As Phillip was running off to go hide again, the silver door handle turned to the right and the door flew open.
“My sandwich was really spicy. We asked for a number one with NO zip,I think they gave me EXTRA zip!” Ralph began to complain. “Would you shut up about your sandwich already?” Blade said getting EXTREMELY annoyed. “Look, she’s awake again,” Ralph said with a menacing smirk on his face. “Can I ask you a question?” I asked politely. “Nope,” Blade responded immediately. “When do I get to eat? I feel like I haven’t eaten anything all day,” I said hoping for some sympathy. “Well, that’s because you haven’t eaten anything all day,” Ralph laughed. “I’m really hungry and would like something to eat,” I said sternly. “We are not your servants,” Ralph replied with some sass. “Here’s an idea,” Blade said with enthusiasm. “If you answer 5 more questions, truthfully, about your father, we will get you some food.” “Okay, ask away,” I replied hoping that they could be trusted.
“Can I ask the first question?” Ralph asked. “Sure, but don’t make it stupid.” Blade replied. “Okay, how much money is your father getting for making this program?” Ralph asked curiously. “You idiot, why would you ask her that?” Blade replied as he slapped Ralph on the back of his head. “He was getting 250,000 dollars,” I said proudly. Blade and Ralph’s faces were in shock of how much money my father, Professor Patterson, was getting. “One down, four to go,” I said eagerly. Then Blades phone rang again, it was his boss. “Yes Boss?” Blade asked curiously. “Why should I have to bargain for my own food? Now is my chance to speak up for myself,” I thought. “I am really hungry and I haven’t eaten or drank anything all day,” I said in a very loud tone. In that moment, I could hear the person on the other side of the phone yelling at Blade with anger. “Just the reaction I was hoping for,” I thought to myself. After Blade hung up, he turned around and walked towards me. He slapped me hard across my right cheek leaving a large red handprint. “If you ever pull a stunt like that again, you don’t wanna know the consequences!” Blade shouted enraged. “Come on Ralph. Boss said we had to get the little brat some food so she doesn’t die.” Blade said as he opened the door and slammed it behind them. He closed the door so hard, it bounced back open. Expecting the spraying noise to start up, I was surprised it never did. “Now is my chance to escape,” I thought enthusiastically. 

I tried to wiggle my wrists, but they wouldn’t budge. Next, I tried to untie the rope with my fingers, but they weren’t strong enough to untie the large knot. As I was attempting to free myself, I heard a rustling noise behind me. “Phillip?” I whispered trying to see what caused the noise. “It’s me. Don’t be afraid,” Phillip said. “Look Phillip, they left the door open! We can escape, together.” I exclaimed. “Hold still and I will cut your wrists free,” Phillip replied as he quickly sliced threw the rope like a knife through softened butter. “There,” he gasped once he finished. “Let’s go before they get back,” I said as I stood up onto my feet. When I was getting up, I tripped on the floor and twisted my ankle.
“Ouch!” I cried as Phillip rushed to my aid. “I will carry you, but we have to go now.” Phillip said as he lifted me into his strong, manly, arms. He ran down the hallways looking for the exit. When he finally found the door, Blade and Ralph were just walking through. “Go into this room,” I said quietly. There were tables and chairs in the room, so Phillip set me down to catch his breathe. “Leave the door slightly open so we can hear them talking.” Phillip said cleverly. “I can’t believe that little brat ratted us out to Boss.” Ralph said with a frustrated tone. “We only need her alive for 5 more hours.” Blade said with a smirk appearing on his face. Phillip turned and looked at me. “Those guys won’t lay a finger on you as long as you’re with me,” Phillip said in a protective tone. Their loud voices became a quiet whisper once they were down the hallway. “That was close,” I whispered to Phillip. “Too close for comfort,” Phillip replied as he picked me up again. He ran through the door and down the road. As Phillip was carrying me, we heard an alarm go off inside the warehouse. Phillip and I exchanged looks, then he began running. We were busted!
“RUN!” I yelled once I heard that obnoxious noise coming from the warehouse behind us. “We need to find a place to hide before Blade and Ralph leave the warehouse,” Phillip said panting. While I looked around for a place to hide, I heard a car engine slowly creeping up from behind. “Go to the trees,” I said to Phillip as I turned around to see if Blade and Ralph were in my peripheral vision. Just as Phillip ran into the trees to hide, Blade and Ralph’s truck zoomed passed us. As Phillip sat me down on a nearby rock to catch his breath, we heard a voice coming from deeper in the woods. “We can’t be in the open,” I whispered to Phillip. Phillip noticed a cavern with vines hanging over its entrance. “Over here,” Phillip said motioning me to get up. Suddenly, I heard a woman’s voice  yelling. “Freeze. This is the F.B.I.” said the woman. “I need you to turn around and state your names.” “My name is Aurora Patterson,” I stated with slight fear. “And my name is Phillip Gains,” Phillip said boldly without showing any fear. “All clear. The hostages were found. Over,” the woman said into her walkie talkie. “Follow me and we will bring you back to your families,” the woman said comfortingly. Phillip and I looked at each other and smiled. “We are going home,” Phillip whispered into my ear while hugging me tightly. “Yes, we are,” I said with a smile on my face while hugging him back.
As we pulled into the police station, our families were waiting outside with open arms. Once we got out of the officer’s vehicle, I thanked her for rescuing us. “Dad,” I yelled while running to him with open arms. “Princess, I missed you so much,” my dad said hugging me so tight I thought he would never let go. “Can we go home and order something to eat?” I asked my dad while I heard my stomach grumbling. “Absolutely,” he replied without hesitation. While my dad and I were walking around the building to get into the car, I turned around and blew a kiss towards Phillip.“My friend’s will never believe what happened to me this weekend,” I thought to myself while grabbing my father’s hand.