Apollo: Neon Sun | Teen Ink

Apollo: Neon Sun

June 20, 2015
By TheEukaryote17 PLATINUM, Hull, Massachusetts
More by this author
TheEukaryote17 PLATINUM, Hull, Massachusetts
23 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - MLK


Author's note:

The main thing that inspired me was my grandfathers advice to write something about detective work. I also wanted to write about my charatcer Apollo (Who can recognized from my noel: "Ultravoilet: Trouble in Paradise").

The author's comments:

Wlecome to my novel! In this chapter major storyline introductions occur including meeting the main character, Apollo, (whom can be recognized as a mian character from my novel: "Ultravoilet: Trouble in Paradise")

It's done. I had lost. I was with my friends moments ago. We had been hunted for quite some time, and the final confrontation had been made. I jumped in to save one of my friends. But then the man, no, the thing that had been hunting us grabbed me by the throat. Another one of my friends blasted him in the back, but it wasn't enough. His hand started to glow, then, he sent me here, a parallel universe.

I looked around, I starting to stand. I saw neon, everywhere. I looked around more as my eyes adjusted. There were tall buildings, with windows, and even more neon. I noticed I was on a train rail above the ground, like a monorail. I heard a noise, and immediately knew exactly what it was. I turned around in panic and fear. I saw, a train. I didn't know what to do, looking back I could've just jumped off the tracks, but I couldn't think fast enough. I flinched and closed my eyes tight turning away from the train that was coming closer and closer to ramming and killing me. Then, out of nowhere, I was fine. I noticed the sound of the train's horn disappeared, and I was still alive. I looked around, I was in a hotel room. I was so confused. I glanced out my window as I looked around noticing the train was across the street outside. I continued to glance around. I saw a man. "Hey, before you freak out, realize, I saved you." He said. I paused before freaking out, then chose not to. "How, who, I?" I said stuttering in an overwhelming feeling. "Ah, a puzzle, huh?" He said about what he was going to say and what I was going to ask. "Okay, just by looking around, you can tell, this place is futuristic. With new technology, people can practically do anything, including teleport." He explained. "So that's how you saved me?" I asked. "Yeah " He said. "Lets skip all of the questions. It's a lot to explain. Do you want the whole truth?" He asked. "Yep, definitely, right now." I said needing to know. "My codename is crane. I am on a quest for truth. I am the truth finder." He said. "Why?" I asked. "I'm not sure. I just felt a feeling. I lost a few of my memories years ago, so I decided that since  I couldn't remember much, I want to find it." He said. "How did you lose your memory?" I asked. "I would've told you if I knew." He said. "I have a codename too, it's Apollo." I said. "So what is your mission here?" I asked. "I need to find someone who may have answers about my past." He said. "I'll tell you what, if you help me, I'll show you around, give you a roof, a bed, and help you stay out of the way of trouble." He said making a deal. There was no downside to that, all I had to do was help him. "Yeah, I like that." I said agreeing. "Okay, let's go back to where I was before I saved you." He said.

We walked out of the room and I followed him. I noticed we were in a hotel. We turned and walked down the hall. "What were you doing there?" I asked. "Following a leed." He said. We continued to walk and left the hotel. I saw that it was night, but not dark at all, the neon signs lit everything up. "Bright as day." I said. "I know, I never thought I'd like advertisement." He said referring to the signs. I looked around. The ground only had people. "Where are the cars?" I asked. "Look up." He said. I looked up and was excited and surprised. There were flying cars. I stared up at the sky watching the cars fly by as I walked across the street. It was amazing. "Watch out!" He called to me. I looked back down and saw a bicycle coming toward me. "There are still some things on the ground. How many times will I have to save you?" He asked jokingly. "Until I adapt." I answered seriously, knowing I wasn't ready for this. "Okay, look both ways this time." He said still teasing me as we crossed the next street. We walked across the street continuing to where he was looking for clues. We walked under the train station that I almost was hit on. We reached the other side of the street. "Is anything going to try to kill me here?" I asked messing with him. "What are you, chicken?" He asked. "Why don't you ask me why I crossed the road." I said.

Then we walked around the fence and by a restaurant to our left into the place that he was looking for clues at. "So what did you already find?" I asked. "Nothing." He said. "Are you looking for something specifically?" I asked. "No, just search for something to point us in a direction, if you find anything tell me and I'll scan it." He said. Then we started to look around. I turned all the way in a circle just to observe all around. I saw the fence I was inside of that was close in front of me, then behind that were the streets, and the hotel. To my right was the restaurant, and to the left was a garbage barrel. Behind me was an alley. I looked on the ground in front of me, in front of the fence. There was just trash. "Why is it so dirty here?" I asked. "It's a garbage dumpster area, but the dumpster is gone right now." He said. That also explained the fence and why it was right next to the restaurant. I looked around more. It was mostly newspapers and a few broken electronic parts. Then I saw a piece of food. "What about that?" I asked talking about a piece of chicken. "What?" He asked. "The food." I answered. "What about it?" He said noticing it now. "Scan it." I advised. He scanned it. His sunglasses lit up green and they projected a blue light over the area around the food. After the light stopped, it loaded for a few seconds. "It says that it is still hot, eaten approximately less that 20 minutes ago. The guy who has some answers was here. His DNAs all over it. He couldn't have gotten far." He said. "Okay, does he know you're onto him?" I asked. "Yeah, I've been looking for him for a while." He said. "So he would try to stay out of sight, right?" I asked. "So he must of not gone into the street, he went down the alley." Crane said. "Yeah." I said coming to the realization and agreeing. "Okay, he's only a few steps ahead. Let's catch up." He suggested.

Then we both started walking down the alley. "When can I get some cool tech?" I asked. "You're not." He said. "Oh, come on!" I said wanting it. "So what answers do you  think he has?" I asked getting serious again. "A few important things." He said. "Which are?" I asked. "My past, I think he may be someone I had a rivalry in the past." He said. "What did he do?" I asked curiously. "You don't want to know." He tried to assure me. "I do want to know." I said insisting. "Even if you do, its none of.your business." He said. I was helping, getting myself into his problems. I thought I deserved to know. "I'm helping you, and you're helping me. I think I should know what I'm against!" I said starting to get mad. "Okay! You wanna know?" He asked. "Yeah, that is what I've been asking!" I said getting into an argument. "Too bad! Even I don't know. I lost my memory! Do you know what that's like? To have your friends, your family, your life want you and you feel nothing! It was gone and I don't even know why I want it back anymore." He said. There was a long silence. "Where do you think he is going?" I asked. "I don't know, but I doubt he got this far alone. He probably has a crew following him. He may be going to his safe house." He said. "What does-" I started to ask.

"Get down!" Crane said. "What?" I whispered. "There he is, getting in the car." He said. I saw what he looked like. You could tell he was sketchy and trying to hide. Dressed in all dark clothes, head down, he never in public. "Okay, ready?" He asked. "Ready for what?" I asked. Then he rose from behind the object we were hiding behind. "Crane, what are you doing?" I whispered loudly. "Hands behind your head." He commanded. The man did as he was commanded. "Oh! Nice to see you again crane. Still wondering what the answers are?" The man said. "Yeah, and you're gonna give me the answers, Zephyr." Crane insisted. I guess Zephyr is the man's name. "Turn around and put your hands on the car." Crane commanded. "You think it would be that easy?" Zephyr asked. "We can take the easy way or the hard way, it's up to you." Crane threatened. "Take a guess of my pick." Zephyr said mockingly. Then crane shot at him with a gun he had aimed. The blasts were bright, light red, almost pink. Zephyr held his arm up and blocked it with a force field with his technology. I remembered my bow, I am named Apollo after all. My bow was invisible, so Zephyr didn't know I had it. I stood up and aimed. I let go and it went into his shoulder. Zephyr screamed and Crane was confused. "Where did that come from?" He asked. I pulled it back again and let go to show it was invisible. The second arrow I shot to show Crane went into Zephyr's thigh. He screamed even louder. He pulled them out. "Are we done now?" Crane asked aiming at him deeply wanting to shoot. "Yep." Zephyr said, then he threw something at crane that threw him back. Zephyr ran over to the driver's side of his car and got in. I ran over to Crane to see if he was okay. "I'll be fine. Just get him." He said as Zephyr began to speed off. I drew a new type of arrow, I could control what type of arrow I used with my invisible bow. The type of arrow I chose then was a tracker. I shot it at his car so we wouldn't lose him. "What was that?" Crane asked not understanding how that arrow was different from the others. "It's a tracker." I explained simply. "I'm fine." He said trying to reassure himself, as well as me. He got up. "I just got the wind knocked out of me, that's all." He said pretending it didn't scare him.

"We can't go get him now, we'll get back to him tomorrow." He said because he was too weak to chase after him. We started to walk back to the hotel. "Admit it. You were scared." I said. "No. I was definitely not." He said lying. "Liar." I said pretending to just cough. "Heard that, wasn't scared." He tried to convince me. "You're a terrible liar, but that still makes you a liar." I said. "Shut up." He said jokingly pretending to be mad.

After he got away we went home. Luckily there were two beds in the room, or else it would be incredibly awkward. We went right to sleep. The next day I woke up and he was already awake. "Morning." I said the second I opened my eyes. "Morning." He said back. "When did you wake up?" I asked. "Less than an hour ago." He answered. "Where are you going?" I asked. "I was going to eat breakfast at the restaurant across the street. I'll wait for you to get ready if you want to come." He said. "Yeah, sure." I said. I was good in the mornings. I usually woke up quickly. I just threw on some clothes and I was ready. "Okay, let's go." I called to him, because he was in the bathroom. "That was quick." He said. "Yeah." I said back. Then he came out and we left. "What do they have?" I asked. "Well, things are different here from back home. The food, the clothes, everything." He said. "Really?" I asked. "Yeah, it's like the future here, as time changes, culture changes." He said. "How is this place like our home, but in the future? In all the parallel universes I've been to time works the same, and they are all very different. If this one is practically just home but in the future, how did it get like that and what makes it different?" I asked as we walked from our room down to the elevator and then the lobby. "Well, a while ago someone ripped this timeline from our own, you never noticed, because time stopped for everyone back home, but everywhere else time continued, even here. The department of parallel officers fixed home, and set this one up with a good path. Since it was born with the technology from home, and set on a good path from the parallel officer, it advanced faster than most. Time didn't resume for anyone at home until things were normal again." He explained. Now we were crossing the street. "Oh, and the parallel departments were dismantled after that." He also mentioned. "Wow, the people at home missed a lot." I said really surprised. "It didn't take long, but yeah, they still did miss quite a bit." He agreed. Then we were walking into the restaurant. It was the restaurant next to the fence with the food we tracked.

We sat at the bar. All of the tables, chairs, and everything were almost a bright shade of red and a darker blue. It looked friendly. I picked up the menu in front of me. At least seventy five percent of all of the foods were things I'd never heard of. "Okay, what is... any of this." I asked Crane. "Yeah, just get the panchips." He said. "What is that?" I asked. "Imagine breakfast mixed with a snack, but healthier than both combined." He said. "Wow, that's delicious and nutritious!" I said making a corny rhyming joke. "Don't ever do that again." He advised jokingly. "Fine." I said knowing that it was an awkward, corny, joke. We were both just kidding though. The waiter came over and asked us. We both said panchips and it came on a dish that elevated from inside the bar itself. "That's awesome." I said. "Yeah, it's the cool title things like that are some of my favorite parts about the things here." He said. We ate and talked. "So, how long have you been here?" I asked. "Not long" He said. "What was your life like back home?" I asked. "Almost the same, minus the weird food and flying cars." He said. "What about yours?" He asked. "Well, I was in a few parallels before this." I said. "Really?" He asked. "Yeah, I ran away from home in a place called paradise." I said. "Sounds awesome." He said. "It wasn't as much as you'd expect." I said. "Oh." He said. "Well, I like it here." He said. "Me too." I agreed. Then we were finished. He paid for the food and we left.

"Okay, so how do we follow that tracker?" He asked. "Watch." I said meaning I would show him. I shot an arrow into the air. It became visible and floated above our heads. It pointed down the alley. "That way." I said. "That's cool." He said. "I know." I said agreeing. We followed the arrow to the end of the alley where there was a turn to the left and right. I shot another arrow in the air and it pointed to the left down the alley. We continued to follow it. At the end of the alleyway there was a street. It went left and right. I shot another one into the air and it pointed right across the street and flew away until it hit a car that was on the ground. It was the car with the tracker was on, it was outside a house. The house didn't look rich or expensive, but still futuristic. We started to approach the car. As we got closer we became more stealthy. Eventually we crossed the street and we were hiding behind the car. "I'll go around to the back, you knock at the front. Let's hope he doesn't remember your face. I'll sneak up on him from behind." Crane planned with me. "Okay." I said confirming I heard and was okay with it. I gave him a few seconds to get a head start to the back.

I walked up the stairs trying to act casual. I rung the doorbell and heard it go off. I heard footsteps and then noticed I couldn't think of anything to say. I tried to think frantically, if I failed it could compromise our chance right now. He opened the door. We were both silent for a moment until he said "Hello." In a tone that was between a question and rudely checking if I was there. "Um, hi. I was just wondering if you would like to buy something." I asked. "No." He said immediately starting to shut the door. That was stupid of me, of course he wasn't going to listen to that. I stopped him from shutting the door. "I'm sure you'll be interested sir." I tried to convince him. He was angry that I had stopped him from shutting the door. "It's, new technology." I said thinking quickly. "Oh, what does it do?" He asked. I had no idea what to say. Surprisingly without thinking I said "A number of things." I said. "It can work with your house through a Bluetooth connection and Internet connections." I said trying to sound like I knew what I was talking about. "I can show you if you like, all I have to do if plug it into your cable box." I said. "Okay." He said letting me in, even more surprisingly. I had nothing to even pretend to set up. I pretended to take something out of my pocket. I then I hid the fact that my hand was empty behind his giant television. "Okay sir, this will only take a moment." I said. I tried to improvise. "What kind of cable box is this?" I asked. "Electric net 3.4." He said. "Okay, it turns out that this will take only a minute longer because I will have to reboot it." I said. I heard him groan under his breath. I tried to think of something else to say but I couldn't. "Um, technical difficulties sir." I said. "It's fine. I don't need your product." He said. "No, no, I'll have it set up any second." I insisted. I heard a click next to one of my ears. "No, you won't." He had c***ed a gun he was aiming at my head. "Sir, I'm sorry, I didn't mean-" I said being interrupted with him talking. "Stop with the act. You're that guy from last night." He said finally catching onto me. "Sir, I don't know what went down last-" I tried to say but I was interrupted again by him saying: "Boy, if you don't tell the truth you won't be able to tell anything." He threatened. I pulled my arrow in my bow carefully so that he wouldn't think that it was anything. Since it is invisible, I succeeded and he didn't see it. I aimed it at his left foot, very carefully so that he wouldn't notice my hands moving, and let go. I heard a sudden shriek, knowing that I gotten him. He dropped his gun. I kicked it away so that he would have to go look for it to find it and I would have some time. "Crane, we gotta get out of here!" I screamed for him. There was no answer. I assumed that he was upstairs looking for clues. I ran up the stairs and hoped to God that Crane was there. Upstairs there were 5 rooms, 3 on the left, and 2 on the right. The second door on the right was open. I ran into there and saw Crane rifling through all the drawers. "Dude, what are you doing?" I asked angrily. "There's gotta be clues here somewhere." He said focused. "No, we have to go." I said forcefully. "Why? What did you do?" He asked. "I tried to improvise while I was waiting for you, but it turns out you were busy looking through his underwear!" I explained. I heard stomping up the stairs. "He's coming, let's go!" I screamed. Then he finally snapped out of it and looked up at me. It was a face that practically said: "oh no." There was no escape. "Hide." He said. Then I ran into the closet and Crane looked around frantically for somewhere to hide, but then Zephyr walked into the bedroom. "Wait." The Crane  tried to say, but then Zephyr didn't let him finish and made a blast with his hands and threw Crane out of the window. I ran out of the closet and shot him in the chest a few times with my bow. He was too dangerous for me to let walk away. He aimed his hand at me and he threw me against the wall with his technology and paralyzed me there for moment or two before I broke free. It was rather easy, I could tell he was weak. I chased after him. By the time I was down the stairs he was already in his car. I ran outside of the house and saw his car taking off into the sky and Crane still on the ground from the fall. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Not this time, but I'll have to wait. We can't let him get away this time." He said. "We need to go after him." Crane said weakly. "Okay, I have an idea. I shot an arrow into the sky as high as I could. I could use one of my types of arrows as a grappling hook. I shot up and it went for a while. Finally it latched onto something. I looked closely, it was a flying car that it latched onto.

We started to fly up. "I latched onto a flying car, we'll chase after him in it." I explained. "Okay." He said. Then we flew up extremely fast, in moments we were at the car. We started to climb up, and then we noticed there was a man in the car. "Oh. Sorry. Uh." I said trying not freak the driver out. "Sooty, man" Crane explained. Then he grabbed the driver and teleported down to the ground with more technology. The car started to break down and fall. I screamed as I started to panic. Then he teleported back and began to get the car under control. "Did we lose him?" Crane asked. "No, I can still see him but we need to catch up quickly. By the way never leave me in one of these cars alone again, I can't drive them." I said. "Hold on tight!" Crane warned just before we blasted off. I screamed in fear because I had never been in a flying car before. "You're not afraid of heights are you?" He asked. "No, but I'm afraid of falling to my death because someone goes over the speed limit!" I said. "Then put your seatbelt on!" He advised. "Good idea." I admitted. I looked through the crowd of cars and tried to keep an eye on him so we wouldn't lose him. Luckily the car we had taken was a lot faster than Zephyr's. We caught up eventually. He tried to go around traffic to get away from us. We tried to keep up but one car cut in front of us. We immediately flew over it. We continued to try to keep up. He pulled off some tricks to try to get us to crash. Then he flew under all of the traffic. We couldn't fly under to keep up with him because the people in front of us gave us no room. He was gaining speed and getting away. "Okay, I know you've never done this, but drive." Crane said. "I'll crash in two seconds!" I said. "Please don't!" He advised. He stood up in our car, which had no roof, none of the flying cars had roofs while it was flying. Then he focused very hard, and teleported into Zephyr's car. I tried to control the car but had no idea what any of the buttons did. I just put my feet on the pedals and steered. "This isn't so hard." I said to myself, too soon. Then the person in front of me stopped short. I went flying out of the car because I had to switch seats to the driver's side and hadn't buckled in yet. I went over the windshield and then the hood. As I flew over I intentionally grabbed an arrow and stabbed it into the hood of the car and held on for my life. The car was in automatic autopilot so it just kept driving. I felt the most scared I ever had in my life. "CRANE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs for his attention to come help me. I looked over my shoulder and saw that he turned and noticed me. While he was looking at me Zephyr shoved him out of the car. Zephyr's car didn't have a roof either. I watched Crane fall farther and farther until he disappeared. I screamed in fear, sadness, and anger. "I'm right here." He said, while he was in the car, he had teleported back. He purposely tried to make me think he had fell to his death. "That wasn't funny." I said to him. "Yes, it totally was." He said. He reached over the windshield and held his hand out for me. I grabbed it and he pulled me up. Once I was back in the car I looked for Zephyr, he was gone. "He got away, AGAIN." I said angry at myself. "Yeah, I had to save you." He said. "Thank you." I said. "You're welcome." He said. He drove downward back down to the ground. "We lost him, for real this time. No tracker, no hideout, nothing, not even a leed." He said. "I'm sorry." I said. "It's not your fault." He said. Then we went home. I felt bad, like it was my fault. Later that night he told me something. "We'll find him again. We will give him justice. He will pay. It is going to come." He said. "I'm glad." I said.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.