Rose the Great and Powerful | Teen Ink

Rose the Great and Powerful

By Khunt BRONZE, Las Animas, Colorado
Khunt BRONZE, Las Animas, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“We bombed, we killed; it was all a part of war, We had an enemy in front of us, and we had to prove that we were stronger and more prepared.” - Nadia Popova

Author's note:

I wanted to do a novel contest however this piece wasnt (and sitll isnt) finished.

I am Rose, my hair is naturally red, my eyes are a deep blue, and I have tiny freckles speckled over my nose. My ears have always been a little on the pointy side and I’ve always felt a little out of place at school. When my grandmother Victoria died I was left to fend on my own. At the age of thirteen, almost fourteen, I was given a lot of inheritance, so with that money I bought and moved into an old cabin in the forest and started doing online schooling. Two weeks after my fourteenth birthday, in early may, I decided that it would be a great day for a swim. The temperature was high, and the forest looked vibrant and alive. This made me eager to jump into the cool, blue, water and have a relaxing swim. When I jumped in I caused a big splash, and giggled to myself, imagining the water spouting all over a handful of teenagers I once ate lunch with. All the astonished faces and the loud yells coming from girls, whose sun dresses I have just ruined.
A tiny yelp brought me out of my day dream.
“Hey! Watch were you’re splashing!” A tiny voice yelled at me. I looked around frantically until my eyes set on a pair of fairies hovering over the water trying to keep dry. One was a girl fairy with long silk black hair, pointy ears, and beautiful green eyes. Her wings shimmered in the sun light. The other fairy was a boy, with short blonde hair, blue eyes, and pointy ears.
“Oh Lillian you know it’s worthless to yell at humans! They can’t see us let alone hear us.” The boy fairy replied.
“Excuse me! Are you two fairies?” I asked a little surprised as I swam closer.
“Oh my goodness! She can see us! Could she be who I think it is!? Look at her eyes and her hair, it has to be who Victoria told us about…well before that stupid ice troll froze her heart that is.” The fairy, Lillian, exclaimed.
“Lillian, I’m not sure if it is who you think it is.”
“Well sure it is! Red hair, blue eyes, skinny as can be, and freckles all those freckles!” She said pointing up at each feature she talked about.
“EXCUSE ME! Who are you talking about? I’m not sure if I am who you think I am but I’m starting to get the idea I am. And if I am then you must have known my grandmother.” I said putting my hands on my hips.
“Oh I am sure you are not who we think you are. But if you are you would be Rose.  And if you are the Rose we are thinking of then you would know both of our names. Your grandmother wrote about us, quite a lot I must add.” He said with a slight chuckle.
“Hem her name is obviously Lillian. If I am thinking correctly, since you did mention an ice troll, you are Lillian and Charles. The great fairies, that come from the great oak in the great forest. And in the great oak resides the most powerful of fairies… Queen Silverdust.” I replied proudly. Charles looked absolutely stunned.
“OHHH! It is Charles! It’s her, the most intelligent mortal that will ever be able to see the magical beings in the mythical forest!” Lillian said hugging an acorn to her chest.
“Lillian must be right. Only the kin of three elders could see us. And only one of those kin has the name Rose. So it must be you. Well I suppose we should take you to the Queen. You have much to learn young Rose and not much time to learn it.” Confused, but excited, I followed Lillian and Charles into the great forest. On our way to the great oak I saw many things. I saw fairies growing flowers, playing with water, and making rainbows. I also saw many creatures who until later into the story I would not know the names of.
“No wonder the forest looks beautiful all the time. You fairies make sure it stays that way.” I muttered.
“Well of course we do! We would not like to live in a world full of rot and disgusting plants.” Lillian giggled making a disgusted face.
“Now Rose, when we get to the Oak you should know a few ground rules,” Charles started nodding towards the path, “First off you don’t want to talk to any other creature in the oak other than the Queen, Secondly do not say anything that may upset the queen in any fashion, and thirdly, ask as many questions as you need to.” Charles finished looking up at me.
“Sounds easy enough.” I replied nodding along.
When we got to the great oak the sun was setting, and there was an amazing smell coming from inside. It made me very hungry.
“Queen Silverdust, we have an elder kin here to see you.” Charles said.
As Charles said this a beautiful creature with big fairy wings came out of the tree. Her long red hair was so long she had to put it up in a high pony tail. She had the most magnificent blue-green eyes I have ever seen. As I looked the queen over I noticed her dress, shoes, crown and jewelry were all made from items picked from the forest.
‘Wow such beauty comes from nature.’ I thought.
“Yes Rose. Such beauty can come from nature, but also great disaster.” Queen Silverdust said, “Come, Come we must not waste time.”
“How did you know…? I mean I didn’t say that thought out loud did I?” I questioned.
“Well no you didn’t. Fairies have a lot of different talents. Not just to control seasons, or to tinker. No we have much more powers. Have you watched the ridiculous movie about the sparkly vampires that fall in love with clumsy humans?” She asked turning towards me.
“Well I suppose I have.” I replied
“Well fairies actually have that type of skill. And by the way Vampires don’t drink blood to survive or sparkle. They live on fear or love. Edwin would have been one of those vampires who lived on love. Part of the myths are true however…”
“Oh what part?” I interrupted.
“All though vampires don’t drink blood to survive. They do drink blood when they crave it. They also do have venom which could save or destroy lives.  Depending on which side the vampire is on.” The queen explained, pacing back and forth.
“Oh I see. So what do you call someone like me?” I asked looking at her curiously.
“Oh you mean someone who can see magic of all kinds? That one’s kind of hard. See we gave you grandmother, Victoria, the name magic lover. But you…” She paused, “You are going to prove to be something else.”
“Why did you call my grandmother Magic Lover?” I asked again curious.
“See your grandmother was very curious, and this, all though most of the time is a good thing, turned out to be a very bad thing. She wanted to use our magic for her own good. She was looking for spells to help her live longer and spells to help you become smarter. But these spells could only be found in the cave of the King Ice Troll.”
“Is he evil?” I asked in wonderment.
“Well no. He is a very kind troll when it comes to those with good thoughts and good intention. But your grandmother was out to steal not borrow. And that is not good, that is bad, evil even. So of course he struck your grandmother. Although this was a horrible, tragic, err event it was good for the magic in our world to survive without notice in the human world.” She explained trying her hardest to explain with caution.
“Oh I understand now. So what all do I have to learn?”
“Well first of all you should hear about your REAL parents, where you come from, what you are destined to become. Your grandmother told me a story a long time ago…”

Mae was a smart girl. She was twenty and had a job as an architect for a big firm. She graduated from an expensive university at the age of eighteen, and that was a huge accomplishment. Her red hair was cut short and has always been that way since she was twelve. It gave her a more mature look. She had green eyes that could make any man melt just by looking into them, but she didn’t want romance or any relationship at that. All she wanted to do was sit inside her cooped up office and work on designs. However, her mother, Victoria, had told her at the rate she is going she won’t have a child to carry on the big gene. Whatever that meant. So here she was walking through the forest with a map in one hand and her canteen in the other, with her backpack swung on her back. On both sides of the path were green trees, flowers, different kinds of shrubs and she could hear the river that was located, according to her map, just a few feet down the path. The forest smelt wonderful. Mae had to admit that being outdoors for a change was nice. She felt relaxed, relieved even, as though all the stress from the last two years has been lifted off her shoulders. As she thought about this she looked up from the path and saw the river. It was a beautiful blue color and looked quite refreshing. As much as she wished to just strip down and jump right in, she had a task on hand to find her fiancé and get to meet him in the next two months. She sighed and grabbed her paper with instructions scribbled on it, that her mother wrote no doubt.
It read “…Once you get to the bridge put down your bag and map. You can take only the following items with you from this point forward.
1.) Your canteen
2.) Your lunchbox
You must also change into the clothes I have packed into your bag. If you don’t you could be attacked…’
Mae sighed heavily as she got her lunchbox out and changed into the sundress her mother gave her. It was stunning sure, but too bright for her liking. This dress would make her stand out. She walked across the bridge and walked into the clearing. She saw men with pointy ears and long hair. They were wearing old clothes and had staffs.
She stopped to ask one of these strangers, “Um excuse me do you know where Charles would be mister?”
“Charles? Charles?” He asked. “Why are you looking for my sire?”
“Well my name is Mae and I am his future wife.” She replied dully. Mae was short, with red curly hair, and green eyes. She had freckles that were speckled across her face. She wasn’t your usual girl. She didn’t like going to the mall, or going shopping. She didn’t want to find her “True Love.” Or kiss a boy, but here she was looking for a prince charming in the middle of nowhere. Why did her mother have to be so persistent!?
“Ahem, Mae is it? I am Charles the Powerful.” He bowed in her presence. She was beautiful. Her short curly red hair, those green eyes, and not to mention the look in her eyes when she looked around the forest before her. She looked happy and excited. One thing Victoria mentioned she didn’t seem to feel often. And the dress she was wearing, although not latest in the fashion here, must have been the nicest one she owned.  “Your mother did not spare any detail of your beauty.”
“Oh…well... uh hem. You are too kind.” She stammered as she curtsied. Wait why did she curtsy? She never does that! This is the 1980’s not the 1600’s! “It is nice to meet you sir Charles.” She felt a tad dazed. This man was only a few inches taller than her, had blonde hair and the most amazing blue eyes she’s ever looked into.
“So tell me Mae what do you know about me?” He questioned.
“Oh well I know your name, and now I know what you look like. I know you love sugar cookies; you value relationships and are very loyal in all relationships… So I guess you could say I know you’re a cookie loving loyalist. But that’s about it.” She sighed as she finished her explanation.
“Oh well then come, we shall go to the garden of grace and I will tell you all about me, as I seem to know a lot more about you.” He took her hand and guided her to the garden.
The feel of his touch was making her feel flushed and dizzy. She had a weird feeling in her tummy like she was nervous or something.
“So first off this place you seem to have been told to go is Crystalston. And my castle up on the hill is known as the Kingdom of Alayde.” He explained to her.
“Oh well it is a beautiful place. I would love to live somewhere like this. Alas I am an architect and that is my work. I plan out buildings for companies.” She looked and felt a little bummed. ‘Why should I feel bummed!? I didn’t want to come to this place anyways!
Charles grabbed her chin and forced her to look up at him. “Mae if you are to marry me you will not have to work or worry about food on the table. You will not have to worry about finding a place to live. If you like your work, however, we have a lot of people here who need an architect to help plan their houses and taverns.”
She looked at him appalled and slightly excited. “Well I suppose I could work here. But I do not know you all that well, or the people of your kingdom. Surly you could find someone more suitable to become your queen.”
She didn’t realize it before but there were little trolls watching their conversation. As they heard their conversation they became very happy to hear the king had finally chosen the perfect woman to run his kingdom. They jumped out of the bushes making a screeching sound of joy, and ran at her. Mae was very afraid as she has never seen trolls before. She got up and screamed and started running away.
You see trolls don’t speak human tongue they only speak troll and unicorn. Yes that’s right unicorns are real. She was so afraid of these little trolls she just kept running. Running and Running. Never stopping, until she fell.  Charles ran to her and picked her up.
“Mae you shouldn’t be afraid of these wonderful trolls. They are just happy that I found someone I truly love and who I want to run my kingdom by my side…”
“TRULY LOVE!? We just met! You think you can just waltz into MY life and steal my heart?” She interrupted. She didn’t know why she did that. She was truly happy he felt that way about her, but hearing those words made her heart beat and she became angry. Why should he love her, how could he?
“Well no. But Mae, darling, I was hoping to get to know you and for you to get to know me. Then maybe you’d fall in love with me, as I have with you.” He looked so deeply into her eyes she didn’t realize she had just stared into them and leant forward, as if she was going to give him a kiss. “Mae, honey I don’t think you want to kiss me just yet.” He chuckled snapping her out of her trance.
“Well why the hell not!?” She was so angry at him. And for what? For not letting her kiss him in that exact moment?
“Because there are things you have got to understand about me and the kingdom before you even decide you like me.” He explained to her. She thought about it. Well she would have to know what kind of creatures were in the kingdom, and which ones were nice and which were just not friendly at all. She looked down at the trolls looking up at her with green-blue eyes.
“Perhaps you’re right, Charles. So tell me about these cute trolls first. Why can’t I understand them?”
“Well simply because they understand human language but they speak only that of troll and every other troll speaks unicorn.”
“Oh I guess that makes a little sense. So wait my childhood dream of meeting a unicorn might come true at some point in my life!?” She asks.
“Well yeah don’t you know there are wild unicorns just running in circles around your cabin?” He looked astonished she didn’t know this already.
“You mean those beautiful horses?”
“They aren’t horses.  Horses are just what the human eyes see, unless they are a believer of magic. Which in this case you used to be. You can look at magic. And touch magic. But for some reason you’re brain chooses not to see or touch it. That’s why your mother, Victoria, has chosen you to marry me. That is, if you are willing.”
She sits down before answering. “Well… I suppose if I learned more, then I would be more than happy to marry you. However I need to learn more than the creatures and good and evil…  I need to learn about you Sir Charles. All I know is your name, what you look like, what you are, and what you do. I want to know WHO you are. The deepest places in your soul, your deepest feelings, your deepest secrets, I want to know it all.”
“Well then my darling dear, you shall know it all. Every question you have just ask me.” Charles sat down next to her before he continued. “First, however, you need to know about the people in my kingdom. We are all either dwarves or elves, but not all of us are kind. I believe in my heart truly, that trolls are by far the cutest, kindest, creatures in the kingdom.” As he spoke to Mae the trolls played with her hair. “Juma here is the oldest of this group. They’re earth trolls. He is the gentlest of the trolls. And Kululu is a professional hair designer. I think the reason she is so good with hair, is the fact that she absolutely loves hair. She can’t not touch hair if she knows she can make it look well fabulous. Then there’s Rasha, she’s the kingdom’s cloth designer. Every dress for any occasion is made by her steady hand.  Lastly there’s our barber. We don’t know his name because he doesn’t talk. Just nods or shakes his head. We call him Feter, mainly because he’s always on his feet. Ha-ha.” Juma was green with blue eyes, Kululu was purple with pink eyes, Rasha was pink with purple eyes and Feter was blue with green eyes. They were all so elegant looking it made Mae sad that all these fairy tales and books made them seem bad and ugly.
“Well it is nice to meet all of you. I apologize for running away from such nice creatures.”
“Its okay, might I say I love your hair?” A small voice popped into her head.
“Well I’m guessing that was Kululu then?” Mae asked. Kululu patted her shoulder. And Charles looked startled.
“What are you talking about?” He asked
“Oh she complimented me on my hair. Didn’t you… Oh in the mind? They can transmit thoughts?”
“Um I didn’t think so but I guess you are the child of Victoria the Great.”
“Oh…Okay.” Mae all of a sudden heard another small voice.
“Oh my my my, I must say for a beautiful human being you have no sense of style. What are these rags!? I must give you a total make over. Kululu is already working on your hair. Stand up! This instant!” Mae’s eyes went big and she looked at the clothing designer and put her hands on her hips.
“No sense of style!? Why I have bought the newest line of clothes of this century.” She looked down at Rasha.
“Mae calm down. You may have the newest line of clothes in the Human Century but your clothes look really old and well…bland in the mythical century.” Charles chuckled. She stood up and put out her arms out, reluctantly, waiting patiently for Rasha to finish up the measurements. As she stood still, however, she didn’t happen to look down to see Feter had the utensils to wax legs. He looked up and down at her and shook his head. Put the wax on her legs, along with the wax paper, left it there for a short amount of time, and then ripped it off. Mae let out a startled screech.
“Sorry, I just thought you might want a fresh wax.” He said out-loud in human tongue. Everyone froze. “What’d I say?”
“Y…You spoke…human.” Charles explained.
“Well yeah the main reason I was so quiet for that amount of time was because I was trying to learn how to speak the human tongue. I wanted to speak to the three humans that could see us.”
Mae bent down and gave Feter a huge hug. “Well I hardly know you and I am already proud of you.”
“Oh thank you Mae. You will make a wonderful queen.” Feter said as he bowed.
“No thank you Feter for being so thoughtful.”
“You’re very welcome my lady.”
Rasha transmitted something to Feter and he nodded to her.  “I suppose I could try to teach you three the language. It is quite hard to understand. Reading is even harder.”
“I could teach you how to read, all four of you, and Feter can teach you three how to speak the language.” Mae said excitedly.
“Mae are you sure you want to take on that task?” Charles asked cautiously.
“I taught a five year old how to count, spell, and speak English in a year. I think I can handle teaching just reading to four of these amazing trolls.” Mae replied. “And all I ask in return is your loyalty and of course a free makeover.” Mae joked.
‘It’s a done deal.’ Rasha transmitted to her.
‘I agree with Rasha.’ The other two transmitted at the exact same time.
“Wait, Mae, you are supposed to become the queen right? So on top of the makeover you are going to need to know how to speak to most of the people in Alayde. Maybe we can start by teaching you how to speak Unicorn and Troll.” Feter exclaimed.
“We could get the witch on Fifth Street to teach her the tongue of a werewolf. And old man Jack can teach her how to tell the black eyed beings from the regular human beings.” Charles explained. “And I will try to teach you anything else you need to know.”  As they all told Mae this, she stood up and walked over to Feter.
“Feter you are the bravest, most intelligent troll I have met so far. Why don’t you become a teacher? Or write books on the human tongue here in the forest?” Feter looked up at her with the saddest eyes Mae had ever seen.
“I tried to be a teacher but, no one would accept a troll into their schools. Why do you think none of us have learned knew languages? Plus I can’t read or write.” Feter said looking down at his blue feet.
“Oh Feter I could open up a school here for trolls to teach and learn. Wouldn’t you like that? I could start off teaching you how to read and write and you could teach the others.” Mae encouraged him.
“Oh, Mae, that would be a wonderful idea!” Feter hugged Mae. He felt warm and snuggly, even if he was mostly rock and dirt.
“Well then it shall be done. I don’t care if I have to design and build it myself!” Mae looked over at Charles. “We have much to do, and much to learn. I would like to start with you and then the rest of the wonderful people of your… our kingdom.”
Charles nodded at her and smiled down at Feter. He hadn’t known Feter very long, but he has done a lot of good deeds around Crystalston and really impressed him with his skill on the human tongue. “Feter will you meet me tonight at the new Tavern? I would like to talk to you about your new role in the kingdom. Don’t worry your friends will have their special spot as well.” Charles stood up and grabbed Mae’s hand. “Okay let’s walk back using the path this time darling.” He led her to the path and back to the Garden of Grace. Sitting down in the same spot they started. He told her of his adventures, of his parents, how they trusted Victoria’s judgment, but he on the other hand did not. He explained that at first they trusted Victoria with their lives, because of course she was the kin of three elders. But they became suspicious when all of Feter’s family went missing. It was strange when the only family of human speaking trolls was starting to go extinct. When they started asking questions, Victoria became angry, and mean.  A month after there was a huge fight in the castle and Charles’ parents died. Mae looked astonished.
“So why trust me then?” Mae asked confused.
“Because when I look at you I know you are pure of heart. You haven’t heard any of the stories you’re mother wrote about us and you know in your heart that we are the light separated from the dark. We are the good separated from the evil…”
“I get it now. You think if you marry me you can keep my mother away!” Mae yelled feeling tears coming to her eyes. How could she of trusted him?
“No Mae, I truly do care for you. I can see into your heart. You are of good decent, your grandmother just chose the wrong side. You see Mae, the three elders, one is good, one is evil, but you see the third one, her parents were of both good and evil, so she learned both sides and was given the choice to lead either the dark side or the light side. You are the kin of that elder and you will one day have to make that choice. That choice is yours not mine. However, if you choose to marry me, you will not just have to think about good and evil, but the consequences for your people. Beware the ripple effect Mae. Bad ripples can affect your whole life in a bad way, but good ripples could do the opposite.” He grabbed her hands in both of his. “I love you Mae, with a passion only that of a true love could feel. Please think about it. And don’t just think about my looks Mae. Think about all of the responsibilities you will take on as queen.” He went to stand up but Mae grabbed his arm.
“I’m not going to say no. I already made my decision when I met my new friends, the earth trolls. Charles I am saying yes, because I know in my heart I already love you, and I already have made four amazing friends, who need a better education on human tongue, and human life. Yes Charles I will marry you, and yes I will run the kingdom by your side, in beauty and in grace, in power and in light.” She looked into his loving eyes, and in them she saw tears.
“I can’t believe you accepted, and not for a selfish reason either. From now on and for forever I will love you, and be loyal to you. I will never hurt you. You are my soul mate.” He got on one knee and pulled out a ring. “Mae the Wonderful, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?”
Mae stood up and hugged Charles, unable to conceal the tears, and excitement any longer. “YES YES YES!”
Suddenly she heard a huge round of applause and tore her eyes away from Charles to see the whole village had gathered when she was giving him his answer. She saw a woman holding her child crying.
A little girl came up to her with flowers. “We heard what you are doing for Feter and the other earth trolls. You are so nice.” Mae felt the tears come to her face as she hugged the child.
“Maybe someday you will be a princess of your own kingdom.” Mae said “Because you have the heart of a goddess.” She gave the small girl a flower of her own.

Mae has been in the village only a month and she has changed so many things. She built two school buildings for the trolls, a cottage of her own, and a new tavern. She has learned many different languages including that of werewolf. She was now working on the tongue of phoenix. She was learning from the old woman on Sycamore Avenue. The other languages she has learnt haven’t been as hard as the language of the phoenix.
“Let us start with the basics… again.” Mrs. Shwerbs was getting a little irritated with Mae. However, she was proud of me for not giving up. “I’ll say a work in phoenix and you tell me what it means in English okay?”
“Yes ma’am.”
“Ghourru.”
“Hello.”
“Good now repeat it.”
“Gorru.”
“No try again. Ghourru.”
We did this with many words until the end of the day. I went home and practiced. I only got one hour of sleep that night, however when I walked into that classroom the next day I looked straight at her and said good morning are you proud?
“Kuud burdak, urou yuo radou?”
“Okay am I crazy or did you just say good morning aren’t you proud?”
“That’s exactly what I said!” Mae replied to the older teacher.
“Youc a ub radou. ‘Yes I am proud’” She replied.
“Ghudig yuo.” Mae replied happily. That means thank you.
They spent the next six hours having conversations and the old lady would correct her grammar if she ever got it wrong. The next step was to learn how to read and write in all the languages. That was much different than speaking. With the language of the phoenix there were many different ways of writing. For instance most of these creatures would write with their tail so it was like learning how to read and write in Chinese or Japanese. This was very different from the English language. The old lady walked her out and told her goodbye. On her way out she ran into her fiancé.
“Charles!” Mae hugged him tight and he hugged back.
“Mae I was just coming to pick you up. How’d the lesson go?’
“It went well Charles. I can speak fluently in troll, unicorn, werewolf and now phoenix! I owe it to all my wonderful friends in the forest.” Mae smiled proudly and Charles sighed.
“You’re quick study which makes my job a lot easier. However, we need to start planning our wedding. It’s only a few months away.”
Mae smiled. “I know that is why I took the next few weeks off from studies. I don’t have much more to learn and I have gotten so far ahead that they told me I HAVE to take the time off.” She replied as a little giggle escaped her lips. “Come on! I have a book to show you.”
Mae grabbed his hand and started pulling him to the cottage. The paths were all a glow with fireflies and all the villagers where inside cooking. Mae was never inside at the same time as everyone else. She loved being outside a lot more than she used to. So she took her time walking with Charles on the path to their cottage. They talked about all the deeds that need to be done before their wedding and before the autumn festival. They also discussed Feter’s new position and how well he has been doing as they king’s right hand man. He has helped with pros and cons of all the king’s decisions, and doing so has brought great growth to their kingdom. Rasha has not only been making the villagers cheap but amazing ball gowns, but has also planned several birthdays for little girls and boys around the village. She has also been teaching a sewing class down at the new schools. Kululu has been perfecting hair all over, as well as teaching hair dressers. Lastly, Juma has found another group of trolls, the water trolls who have taught him much about the arts of the river. Ever since they all got new positions in the kingdom there has been a lot of growth, and new positivity among the villagers. As they got to the cottage Mae’s face lit up with excitement.
“Hurry up!!” She urged Charles. Charles just chuckled in response. Mae did a wonderful job and designing and building the cottage. It fit in the village, but also stood out. It looked like something that came out of a fairytale but had ‘Mae flair” as she liked to call it. The bricks were a yellow color instead of the red you usually see in the “real world”, and the vines that she grew had beautiful pink flowers budding. As you entered you could always smell chocolate chip cookies, because Mae’s favorite thing to bake was cookies. The walls were pink in the living room, a light green as you entered the bathroom, and purple in her room as she always loved the color purple. The furniture was made from nature of course. Wooden chairs, wooden everything pretty much. They made cushions out of flowers, grass, and strangely enough wolf hide. Mae went down the hall and into her room to grab the book she wanted to show him. She popped right back into the living almost as if she never moved. “Here!” She shoved the book at Charles.
Charles ran his hand over the cover made out of pink rose petals. The title read “Wedding Ideas.” He opened it and gasped. “How many of these dresses have you tried on?” He asked flipping through the book.
“Thousands of them! I already have two chosen out that I like. I wanted your opinion first though.” Mae said twisting and turning nervously.
“I really like the second one.” He smiled at her. “Our wedding is in the summer so sweetheart neckline is perfect. And I like the tiara veil combo. It fits who you are. And the red roses that go horizontally down the front with the red veil over it, which is your favorite flower and color.” Charles explained.
“I knew you would say that!” Mae giggled.
The next few months they planned their wedding and the autumn festival. And in July they got married. Mae wore a beautiful white silk dress that went a little past her knees that had red roses running horizontally from her left shoulder to her right hip. Charles wore a white tux with a red tie and a rose of course. The little girl, who had given Mae flowers after the engagement was final, was their flower girl. And the flower girl’s boy friend was the ring man. It was such a beautiful day and a beautiful wedding.
A month after their marriage Mae found out she was pregnant with their first baby. The fortune teller said it was going to be a girl. A girl, Mae thought, whose going to be one of grace, beauty, and power. Her name shall be Rose the Graceful. Of course every child had a name like Susie the Villager, but Rose was going to be special. Mae has been having these dreams of a wonderful child with red hair and blue eyes, the same eyes her father has, and freckles speckled across her little nose. In these dreams this child had elf ears and an elf heart. She ran through the forest with a bow in her hand, shooting and someone who was shooting at her. She had to be brave because the prophecy states that Victoria Magic Lover will come for the child. And when that day comes, they’ll be ready.
As she thought about that statement she felt another contraction, and patted her stomach. “It’s okay Rose, she can’t hurt you.”
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Two months after the birth of her child, around early July, she felt the ground shake and heard thunder. Mae was inside with their two month old child feeding her and trying to get her to go back to sleep, when Feter, the trusty guardian troll, barged through the doors. 
“She’s here your grace! She has come for the child.” Feter yelled in a panic.
“But the prophecy stated that it would be on her fourteenth birthday! She is hardly two months old!” Mae yelled back gripping her baby to her in the same panic like state. Feter grabbed her and shoved her in a closet.
“Stay put, try to keep Rose from crying.” Feter told her. “Everything will be alright.” He told her as he ran back out.
Mae didn’t know how long she had been in there until Feter burst through the doors looking for the book, she knew they’d need, Victoria came rushing after him. She pointed a finger at him and whispered a chant making him fall to the floor.
Rose started to fuss a little and Mae looked down into her daughter’s frightened little blue eyes. “Shhh shhh he’s just sleeping little one. Like you should be.” Mae muttered. But baby Rose cried, and Victoria threw the doors to the closet open.
“There you are you little scrap. I’ve been looking all over the village for you.” Victoria snatched the baby up from Mae’s hands.
“MOTHER! Give her back! She hardly knows you!” As Mae tried to take the baby back, she started to cry, and Victoria threw the infant against the wall knocking her out.
“I will be back to give a report on your child. And you my dear will stay right here and wither away into nothingness.” Victoria declared as she vanished.

As the story concluded I looked down at my feet. “My mother, is she dead?”
Silverdust looked at me with a motherly smile. “No Rose, she is still alive. However, she now has a son; his name is Paul the Wonderful.” As Silverdust concluded this, a blue troll with green eyes stepped into the circle, his eyes landing on me.
“Rose? You’re alive!? Victoria told your mother…”
“Enough!” I interrupted. “I do not want to hear that name uttered in my presence! That woman, who pretended to be a good person, was evil and she had me fooled. She is not a grandmother to me!” I looked down at the blue troll and bent down to him “I am truly sorry I yelled at you. I shouldn’t have lost my temper. Yes my name is Rose and yes I am alive. Who are you?”
The little troll looked into my blue eyes in wonderment. “I am Feter, the right hand man who teaches at the school for trolls.” He bowed. “Princess Rose, I think I should take you with me, back to your mother and father.”
I smiled politely and grabbed his hand. “If you think I could be of any help to the kingdom I would be honored to follow such a wonderful troll.” Feter once again bowed and pulled me towards the opening to the forest.
“You must follow every instruction I give you. V… The magic lover’s followers cannot know we are here and we have found you. They will do anything to get rid of you, or turn you against your own mother.” Feter explained pulling me along quickly. “Don’t speak of where we are going and don’t ask any questions. Otherwise, until we get to the boat and we are at sea don’t utter a word.” I nodded in response to Feter. After what seemed like a life time of silence we got to the boat, and Feter handed me a heavy coat and a dress, I was still in my swim suit so I pulled the dress over my head. “Wear the coat when we hit the cold spot. You are not dressed for such an adventure.” I nodded again as we stepped onto the boat. There were many creatures and most gave me strange looks.
“Well, well, well. Another human we have captured is it, Feter?” A big tall man with pointed ears asked.
“N…No Sir Charles… this is no human. She is in fact a mix of human and elf. Sire… she is Rose the Graceful, or as Queen Silverdust had named her Rose the Great and Powerful.”
I kneeled in his presence as a woman came up behind me. “Rose!? That’s impossible; The Magic Lover said she is dead.” As she said this I turned around and was hit with an almost identical reflection of myself.
“Mother? It’s me Rose! I have just met the fairies and Feter. I heard the story and what had happened. I too have heard of this magic lover and how she used to be my grandmother. She told me you died to the hands of elves and dwarves. Queen Silverdust told me the whole story and I feel ashamed I listened.” My mother seemed in shock just staring down at me.
“Rose it really is you!” She yelled hugging me.
“I…arg mother you’re crushing me!”I stated in complete surprise.
“Hun are you sure this is our daughter? It could be an imposter sent by Victoria herself.”
I turned to look at my father and with as much anger as I could muster I yelled. “You think after all these stories I’ve heard that I would even think about following in that horrible woman’s footsteps!? How dare you!  I do not want to hear her name even muttered in my presence! I hate that horrid lady for lying to me all these years! Here I thought I was an orphan for the past few years. Nobody to go to, to talk to. Just sitting in that little cabin alone! And you want to try to pass me off as some evil creature sent to destroy my own parents?” When I was done yelling at my own father I felt the tears come rushing down my face.
“I… I’m sorry I just couldn’t believe we…you’re alive…” My father looked a bit in shock. “I’m sorry for saying that Rose.”
“Father what is going on? Is mother having a crazy rant again?” I heard a separate voice enter the room.
“Paul this is your sister Rose.”
“I thought she was dead.”
“It looks like we weren’t the only ones lied to son. You’re sister thought your mother and I where dead as well…”
“No I thought my mother was dead and that my father was the one who planned the attack on mother. She said all elves and dwarves were evil.” I stated blankly looking up at my brother. “I didn’t even know I had a brother.”
Paul looked astonished. “You didn’t know I existed? Well… here I am. You’re brother, prince charming.” He smiled at me with a look I had never seen. Was it hatred? Maybe shame? Or maybe it was…love?
“Rose he loves you not hate not shame love.” I looked at my mother with big eyes.
“Why would I hate you?” Paul asked worried.
“I’ve never experienced love in my household. I was always alone. I was homeschooled, and we lived in the cabin. I don’t know what any emotion except for anger, sadness, and loneliness looks like.” I explained.
“Oh well I guess you will experience that soon enough.” As he finished that statement it was suddenly cold. I started to shiver.
“Put you’re jacket on that I gave you.” Feter told me. I did what he said and felt warm and happy.
“What kind of jacket is this?”
“It’s made from werewolf hide. We only take it from the ones who die in their sleep. They die an easy, happy, death.” Feter explained. “That way when we put it on we feel warm and happy.”
“Oh, is that why when it’s cold, humans are mad but warm?” I ask
“Yeah, they force the animals to die.”
The boat suddenly came to a stop and people rushed down to the dock. My mother took my hand and led me off the boat and to a wonderful cottage. It was one of those you see in snow white and the seven dwarves. Small but beautiful covered in flowers.
“Welcome home!” My mother smiled. “You’re room is in the back two doors to the left. I’ll have to have Rasha come and give you a makeover. And a completely new wardrobe, oh and since you are only fourteen you will need to be enrolled in school. You will have to learn the language of trolls and unicorns.” My mom rambled.
I laughed “Mother calm down, we can start with Rasha first. And then we will go do everything else okay?”
My mother nodded “Okay I’ll go fetch her.” And just like that I was alone in my new home, my new room with my new pictures. I sat on my bed feeling the beautiful comforter and ran my hand over the bed board and smiled. Red roses, how ironic, my name is rose my favorite color is red…just like my mothers. I sighed laying down looking at the ceiling, or was it at the stars? There was not ceiling, or it was a glass ceiling I could see the stars and beautiful flowers falling onto the glass. I was thinking about it there were only two rooms. Where did Paul sleep?
I heard someone knock on my door and sat up. “Hey Rose, mind if I come in?” my brother asked.
“No not at all, come on in.” I replied scooting over.
“So listen. After you were gone and mom gave birth to me, we moved to a new place. Mom’s hope never died away, she kept having everything in your room changed and the cottage cleaned at least once a month, just in case you showed up.” Paul explained, “Please don’t leave ok? I can’t handle all the depression in the house if you left. Including mine.” He smiled sadly.
“I wouldn’t dream of leaving. I may not know much but I graduated high school already and I was working on college classes.” I smiled at him. “Why do you think I was alone all the time and home schooled? I hated public school.” I explained.
“Oh, I guess you should explain that to mom. Maybe she’ll let me teach you instead of learning from all the trolls. They don’t like to go at a different pace for new students.” He was fiddling his thumbs. “Hey do you like music?” Paul asked
“Well I do but I’m sure it’s not the same type as you like. It’s much different here…” I explained.
“You know, I bought you something on the way over here.” He handed me a little mp3 player and headphones. “I added my favorites. Even though we don’t like human interaction we do like some of their music and inventions.”
I grabbed it and put the headphones in my ears listening to a song he had on pause. “Oh my gosh! You like little big town!?” I asked totally astonished.
He chuckled. “Yes I like almost all country artists.” He explained.
I elbowed his side “I absolutely love country!”
He smiled at how excited I got. “How long has it been since you’ve lie down outside and just looked up at the stars?”
I shrugged “A long time.” I admitted.
He took my hand and led me outside grabbing a portable speaker. “Okay well then we have to do that, I will go get my friends and we can all just lay here.” He smiled. “Don’t move!”
And I didn’t I just stood there. For about thirty minutes just staring at the spot he disappeared to.

When he came back he had a blonde boy with him around my age carrying a bag.
“Dude I don’t understand. I thought your sister was dead bro. How could she be here standing by the cottage just w… Who’s that?”
“That my sister Dave. I thought you might like to meet her. She’s pretty chill.” Paul said to the boy whose name was obviously Dave.
He bowed and looked puzzled at his action. “It’s nice to meet you Miss. Rose.”
I giggle. “It’s ok Dave. You don’t have to be so formal with me. I’m only fourteen.” I smiled at him.
“Whoa. I heard you already graduated from high school and was working on college classes before you left. At fourteen!? Bro she’s perfect!”
“Uh hey Dave I haven’t really told her yet.”
“Told me what Paul?”
“Well Dave here is kind of the only single guy in town and now you are the only single girl in town.”  Paul explained.
“Not that I was uh, looking for a woman who I barely know to come waltzing into town.” Dave stuttered.
“Ha ha. It’s okay. I don’t date without knowing the person soo…”
“Well I brought food and drinks for the three…”
“No it’s four of us. My girl-friend is coming too.” Just as Paul said this a brunet with pointed ears and a beautiful dress made of periwinkles came walking up.
“Why are we going to be by the cottage? I hate the cottage! I want to go for dinner at the castle not sit here with your stupid friend and look at stars.”
“Hello, my name is Rose the Great and powerful. Might I ask what your name is and why you are speaking to Paul so rudely?” I suddenly felt protective over my younger brother.
“My name is Princes Periwinkle. If I were you PEASANT I wouldn’t be talking that way to me!”
“PEASANT!? Now just wait a minute “Princess” I am no peasant and if I were you I would watch your tongue around my brother. You dig? My brother planned a very romantic evening with you and you just want to sit in a stupid dumb castle for what reason?”
“Brother? Paul doesn’t have a sister she’s dead!”
“Well I guess that means I also don’t have a mother because she’s supposed to be dead as well. And your father was the one who helped kill her am I right?”
“Wait a minute dear. You are THE ROSE? The one who died because of the V woman?”
“Oh my gosh Dave! Look she finally caught on!” I shook him “She’s not so snotty and dumb after all… nope not at all. Just snotty and ignorant.”
“Ignorant?”
“Yes Peri you are ignorant. You take all these wonderful people around you and you act like you are above them because you are richer right? No ma’am you are not richer. They are. They have family they truly care about. Their parents don’t have to buy their happiness. No sir.”
“Why do you say these things to me? I do not understand what you are trying to get at. Are you saying I am in fact poor because I do not have many friends and my family has to buy my happiness?” Periwinkle looked confused.
“I’m just going to leave it at that. Paul you two have a nice little date Dave and I are going to go somewhere and get to know each other a little better. BYE PERI.” I waved grabbing Dave’s arm and walking away.
“Rose? Why did you stand up to her?” Dave asked astonished.
“Even if I am new in town Dave, I still have to stick up for my family.” I answered looking up to him. “As well as my friends.” We started walking towards town.
“You know I really think it’s awesome how brave you were. I mean when she yells at Paul he does nothing. Just cowers.” I looked up at him as he said this. I didn’t realize it before but he was quite handsome.
“Dave, we as people or elves cannot just sit back and let bullies get to us. We have to stand up for ourselves and say what we feel is right in our hearts. No matter how harmful the truth is.”
“Well, I’ll start with you then Rose. You are a very beautiful lady inside and out. You know how to say the toughest things in the most intelligent of ways. Rose, I really hope that one day we can date or just stay as friends. However you feel is the best relationship for us. I really like you. I hope you feel the same towards me.” Dave paused looking down into my blue eyes, slightly blushing.
“Dave you know much more about me than I do of you. So lets talk like normal friends.” I paused tapping my chin, “What is your favorite food?”
“Well that’s an easy one. My favorite food is lasagna. What about yours?”
“I love steak Alfredo. In fact I like any kind of pasta.”
“That’s going to make this a little easier on me then. What’s your favorite color?”
“That’s a hard one. My first favorite color is blue, then green, and then lastly red! What about you Davey?”
“My first favorite is red, then orange, then green. Hum what about your favorite band?” He questioned.
“I absolutely love The Band Perry.”
“Oh mine is Little Big Town.”
“Well they are both country bands at least.” I said as he nodded in agreement. “Okay then what’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?”
“Hmm I would have to say cotton candy.”
“Oh yummy! I like the birthday cake one because it has vanilla and cotton candy flavors!”
We continued questioning each other’s favorites while we walked down the path through the village. We came to sign that pointed two ways.
“If we turn right it takes us to the river. Left takes us to a beautiful meadow.” Dave explained.
“Okay let’s go left. I want to go lay in a meadow and look at the stars.” I said pulling him to the left.
“Me too, but shouldn’t we turn around and walk home? I mean you are new to the town and all. I promise we can go tomorrow when we both have time.”
“Fine.” I sighed. We turned around and started our walk home. On the way I heard my brother’s voice.
“Now look Peri, my sister was just sticking up for me! Don’t you dare say anything bad about her again you understand me!?”
“Paul, you barley know the brat. She yelled at me! No one yells at me babe!”
“Yeah they do Peri. Just not people who you don’t know. She is MY SISTER and therefore should be treated with as much respect as you and I.”
“Paul dear did you see what she was wearing? That dress is two months old. If she was your sister I would think she’d have a more updated wardrobe.”  I looked at Dave and shook my head running up to the cottage where they were arguing.
“Hey you two, I can hear down in the village why don’t you be a little more respectful of the time as well as each other? Alright?” I said standing with my arms crossed.
“Sorry Rose. She is being…hard to get along with right this moment.”
“Oh hardly my darling. I am not the one who started this argument.”
“Yeah you did. You said my sister, was not my sister, just some evil vulnerable beast pretending to be my sister.”
“I certainly did not!”
“Well I know for a fact you called me a brat. And you were mad at me for standing up for my brother. Oh and by the way ‘darling’ my dress was given to me on a boat so I didn’t stick out as much. So if I were I would shut up and go back home to your mommy and daddy before I do something drastic.” As I said this, blue flowers started to grow from beneath my feet.
“Oh no what are going to do? Flower me to death?”
“What the flippers are you talking about!?”
“Rose look down at your feet.” Paul said as he pointed towards the ground. I looked down as he had instructed and saw the flowers growing.
“Oh… how’d that happen?” I asked in wonderment.
“Oh don’t tell me princessia you didn’t know you had powers?”
“Peri she just turned fourteen and she just found her parents. This was a BIG event in her eyes. Remember the rules of a human mixed with magic? If they are taken from their parents at a young age their magic growth stunts, until either they witness a tragic event or they are reunited with their parents.”
She stopped and thought about this. “Okay so you are obviously not evil since it’s flowers not fire. But you still have to prove your worth to my kingdom before I accept you as one of the greats.” Peri looked at me with mean looking eyes.
“Well at least I’m not evil in your eyes anymore. Just not worthy of your friendship which doesn’t bother me.”
“She was a loner in human world, she is used to the feeling of disappointment, anger, hatred all directed at her.”
“Well that’s no fun.”
“No Peri it’s not. That’s why when I heard you being rude to my brother here I got sort of protective.” As I finished this statement I saw my mother come running down the path with a troll running after her with a big bag dragging behind them.
“Ok here she is Rasha. My daughter.”
“Hi Mae.” Peri said.
“Hello Peri.” She said side glancing. “Peri!? You’re not supposed to be here! This is a family reunion now beat it kid!” Peri got up and ran for the hills. “Rose, did she say anything to you?”
“No she just told Paul here that I probably wasn’t his sister blah…blah…blah.” I said looking up at her with a smile. “But when she said that Dave and I were walking around.”
“Oh hey Dave, you can stay. I just don’t like Peri. She is too bossy and frankly she is annoying.” My mom looked over at me and saw my smile widen.
“Okay good because he is my first friend so far and I could really use his opinion on something.” 
They all went inside and Rasha took measurements and showed me all of the latest styles. I chose many different dresses. My favorite however was the one made of white and purple lilies. Dave liked the one made of blue dahlias, because the color brought out my eyes. I thanked them and yawned.
“I think it’s time for me to go rest. It’s been a very eventful day. I thank you Rasha for the beautiful dresses, and mom thank you for bringing me home.” I said putting my dresses in my wardrobe lying on my bed.
“Dave, you’re father is out of town right? I would like to sleep on the couch or on the pull out; I don’t want anything to go wrong.”
Dave nodded. “Yes ma’am.” He replied sitting on the couch. “I will make sure nothing, or no one will harm her.”

In the morning I woke up to the smell of eggs and syrup. I got up and walked out of the room. The walls were painted pink in my room, blue in the bathroom, green in the hallway and kitchen. The living room was a light lavender color. I walked into the kitchen, seeing Dave at the oven cooking, and sat at the table rubbing my eyes. “Good morning Dave… wait why are you here?”
“Your mother had me sleep on the couch to make sure no one tried to break in or anything.” He explained. “I’m not going to complain, that is much better than sleeping on the floor.” He said smiling at me.
“Oh can you stay again tonight?”
“No, unfortunately my father will be home tonight. However, I can take you around the village. It is the weekend, so we get the next two days to ourselves.”
“That sounds good to me. How much do you have planned?”
He smiled at me once again. “I’m glad you asked. On the counter over there is a piece of paper with a list of activities and places we can go see and do. Put a star next to the ones you want to do the most. Oh and a smiley face next to the restaurants you want to go to. I highly recommend the wolf cub café. It’s the newest and provides a wide range of food and entertainment.” Dave finished just as I was reading through the activities. I put a star next to the meadow, river walk, sprite watching, and water training.
Dave looked confused. “Why water training?”
“I don’t know why I just thought it sounded interesting. As I said this a loud knock came at the door. I answered. “Hello?”
“Hello Rose? My name is Claudia the fortune teller. I just had to see for myself. You are very powerful. May I come in?”
“Uh sure, come on in.” I replied opening the door. Claudia is kind of crazy looking but I could feel in my heart that she is good. Her hair is a grey color, suggesting she is old but wise. Her eyes are blue and kind of crazed. She comes in and looks around and her eyes lay on Dave.
“Dave, what are you doing here?” The fortune teller asks.
“You can say I was posted here as her body guard.” He replies.
“Oh…” The fortune teller pauses and looks at me seeing me smiles at Dave. “Oh my goodness. Could this really be happening? Rose darling come here.” As she waves me over I walk over to her. “Give me your hand.” And I do, “Dave yours as well.” And he gives her his. She puts mine in his and puts hers on top of ours closing her eyes. Dave and I are staring at each other with the biggest smiles. She gasps and our hands become warm and tingly. It’s not an unpleasant feeling in fact I want it to go on. The fortune teller opens her eyes and looks at me. “Take your hands apart. Don’t worry you can hold hands all day if you’d like. Just take them apart.” As I do I look down and in my palm is the most beautiful of roses, the color of flames.
“How’d that happen?”
“When two kin of the elder magic seers, as well as the kin of magic come together and show love, they create something beautiful together.”
“Dave you are one too?”
“I never knew I was important.”
“Well now I know why you were chosen by Diego and Lucy, two completely different reasons on each of their part. Listen to me Diego, if you want your love to last an eternity I suggest you spy on your father. When he goes on his next trip I want you to look deeper. Try to find the secret he hid from you and his wife. I must go.”
After she left I heard a horse carriage come to a stop in front of my house. “DAVE! Get your butt into this carriage right now! I do not want you to be hanging around a kin ever again!”
“Go; do not tell him you know you are a kin. Watch him when he’s in his office, but don’t get caught.” I whispered pushing him to the door. I stood there holding onto the necklace that was on my nightstand this morning. I waved goodbye and glared at Diego as they rode off. “He will not win this war.” I said out loud to myself. I went into my room grabbing my favorite dress pulling it on and quickly putting my hair up. I grabbed a piece of toast from the counter on my way out the door. I waved my arm in the air at a carriage as the driver pulled his horses to a stop. “To the castle please. I must speak with the queen it is urgent!”
We drove past many houses, a few farms, a few school and then passed over the river. I sat with my head near the window enjoying the fresh air. As we got closer I was starting to get a feeling that something bad was about to happen. Images of men dying on the streets, the door to my old cabin being knocked down and a man, a man standing in the doorway looking quite upset, popped into my head. I jolted and felt out of breath. The carriage came to a stop in front of the castle gates. I stepped out and looked around me. The gates were tall and gold, with the initials CS. In the middle of these initials was a crystal. I shook my head and went to the gate as the guard stopped me.
“Name and business please.” The guard said.
“Rose, I need to speak to the King and Queen. It’s urgent.”
“BUSINESS PLEASE!”
“There are now two elder kin in the village. The witch has for seen. And I have proof.” As I said this I twirled my beautiful flower in front of his face. “Have you seen anything so beautiful?”
“Not here nor any place else. You may come in. Only because the King has given his permission.” As he said this the golden gates were opened and I ran in. My father was standing waiting for me.
“Rose? Why are you here? You are supposed to be waiting at the cottage.”
“Father there is no time! I need to speak with both you and mother as soon as possible. If Paul isn’t busy with his romances I would also like him to be there. But this has to be NOW!”
“Ok okay! Come on then.” My father grabbed my arm and rushed me into the castle. “Down the hall last door on your right. The door looks like the gates. Inside is a table, you will sit at the end since you are the barrier of news. I will go get your mother, brother, and a couple of guards for the rooms.”
I ran down the hall and opened the first door to the right and closed it behind me. As it closed an image popped up on the wall. “Hello? Is anyone there? Charles, Mae? Someone answer me for the sake of the gods!!”
“Um? I am the only one here at the moment. They should be here very soon though Mr.??”
“My name is Peter. Don’t have time for introductions. Just tell Charles that the old Cabin has been abandoned and every human being to ever have any contact with his daughter has been slaughtered, as well as her only mentor Jazzabelle.”

I fell to the floor. “Jazzi is dead?”
“I have to go. I hate to leave you but I must…” He was cut off. I sat in that room against the wall with tears threatening to leak down my face. “I can’t believe she’s gone.”
“Rose, we’re… Oh dear what happened?”
“Every human being that ever had any contact with me is dead. I...Including my only mentor and friend… Jazzabelle.”
“Who told you this!?”
“Some guy named Peter. He called on your wall thingy.”
“Peter? Oh my gosh Charles! Your brother.”
“What all did he say?” My father asked.   So I repeated every word, and then looked up at him.
“I saw it happen. I saw blood and dead bodies filling the streets. I saw my cabin door being knocked down and an evil man standing in the door way. He looked like Diego but blonde.”
“What do you mean you saw it happen!?”
“When the carriage was driving over the bridge a bunch of pictures popped in my head and then the last part. He said the girl isn’t here. By the look of things she left two days ago.”
“It must be Clyde. He’s looking for you. We must prepare for war!”
“Dad wait! There is one more thing you all must know. It is very important.” They all stopped in their tracks. “Dave and I are in love. And our love is stronger than any love you can every find in even an immortal’s heart. Dave is an elder kin as I am. We were told by the furtune teller herself. She had us hold hands and look into each other’s eyes. As we did my hand started to feel warm and fuzzy and the feeling went deep into my soul. When we opened our hands I was holding this beautiful flower. We made it with our powers that were ignited by the love. Oh, and his father Diego, is evil. He is hiding something from us about the death of Lucy.” As I ended that sentence I looked down at the rose and noticed its color, the red was dripping off, and I was feeling a pain in my chest I have never felt in my life. I fell to the floor and started screaming as images again started to pop into my mind.
Paul dropped down to his knees next to me. “Rose! Rose are you ok!?”
“Dave…” I muttered and ran out the fire in me building as more images started racing. Diego was on top of Dave punching him and hitting him with sticks on fire. I heard my family yelling out at me begging me to come back. But I couldn’t I couldn’t stop. Dave was in trouble and I wasn’t going to let him die. He was my world now. If he died I died.
When I got to the cottage I made a quick stop. Changed into my hunting clothes, this consisted of a tan long sleeved shirt (made of deer hide), a tank top made of wolf hide that went over my long sleeved shirt, and some tan pants. I grabbed my bow and arrow and turned to the door. There stood the fortune teller.
“Your time has come, to prove you are great and powerful. Show us who you really are Rose. Don’t give in to the evil.” Then she was gone.
“Creepy old lady.” I muttered, as I closed my door and ran towards the edge of the forest. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. The images reappeared and my heart burned with fear and anger. I concentrated on the surrounding. A river surrounded by roses and stones. A tree larger than any, even the great oak tree, must be the elder tree. I ran in the direction of the elder circle. There was a story the magic lover once told me. Something about the reason a human child must die in the elder circle, to make the elf culture stronger. Diego wanted to kill and elder child in the elder circle to make his race stronger, but if the human child is an elder child this will kill the other elder children, unless they have not met. This would mean Dave and I would die and the last elder kin would be turned on the entire nation. My feet felt like they took on a life of their own. I have never ran this fast in my entire life, then again my life was never in danger. As I got closer I slowed down. Not wanting to let Diego know I was close. I stayed hidden in the trees with my arrow pointed at his leg, I wanted to injure the damn bastard not kill him. He stood up and went to go, and as if on cue I shot his ankle and he fell down screaming.
I stepped into the clearing and kicked his stick into the river. “This is what happens when you mess with my loved ones. Next time think about who you’re messing with.” He looked up to me with a smirk on his face.
“‘Tis too late to save your little friend, I have beaten him to a pulp, if he dies so do you.”
“I know of the legends old man, but I also know of my powers.” As I said this I pulled Dave out of the circle and grabbed his head. “Dave, my love look at me.”
“I’m dying Rose, and so will you. I am truly sorry.” He said as he looked into my eyes.
I grabbed his hands and felt my tears rush down my face and into his hands. I then put his hands onto his chest and watched the magic work. “As one dies, the other will fade, but if the other is there, their magic with touch and born out of this love is a magic not even the evilest of fate can harm. They love each other so deeply and completely they would never, could never live without the other, as their magic has foretold. So the magic within them finds a way to let them both live in perfect harmony, as well as to save the world from the evil which tried to destroy them.” As I said these words Dave sat up and looked at Diego.
“Not even the cruelest of fates can change their love, not even yours Diego.” Diego tried getting up to run and I stood over him with my arrow aimed right at his scalp.
“Do not move!” He stilled and looked up at me helplessly.
“You do not have enough hatred in your little body to even want to shoot me.”
“Maybe so, however you do hold a threat to my kingdom and family. Therefore if I see the need to, I will let this arrow fly straight through your eye!”
Dave stood up slowly and grabbed his horn off the ground. “Blow this. My real parents left it with me when I was lost. They left a note saying to give it to the elder kin born of both evil and kind. When he or she blows it her heart will have decided which side. And you have. So blow it.”
I blew it and out came the sound of the most beautiful of creatures. A unicorn, as the sound rang out towards the heavens I heard horse and elf feet and there before me was my kingdom.
“You rang?” My father asked.
“Diego had tried to kill and elder child in the elder circle, making every elder child in existence to know this one, die. Take him for questioning. I have many questions and he has many answers.” As I said this, guards grabbed him and drug him out.
“You’re heart has chosen the good side, your soul is that of a Unicorn. I am very proud of you Rose. We will keep him locked up for questioning. You get Dave back to the village doctor immediately. And ask him about what happened. We need both sides of the story.” And just like that my father was gone.
I lifted Dave up to his feet and let him lean on me. “If my powers were stronger I could have healed you completely.” I told him apologetically.
“You’re apologizing for not healing me all the way? Rose you know better than that. You just discovered your powers and you managed to save my life.”
“I know but you’re in so much pain.
“Yes but I’m alive and that’s what matters, now quit this chitter chatter and let’s get to the hospital so I can get to telling you my story.”
Off we were back through the way I came in. I was holding half of his weight, a bow and arrows as well as a horn. So it was a slow walk and we didn’t get back till almost dusk. We walked into the village and stumbled into the hospital. There sat one lady at the counter waiting to greet us.
“What seems to be the problem here?”
“Well let’s see, he was beaten relentlessly with a stick on fire as well as a metal boot so, I think if it was up to my father, the king, you’d see that he gets a room RIGHT away!”
“Oh Rose!? Right right, we have a room already reserved. Your father came in already and explained that you two were on foot and one was crippled. The third room on the right, we have food and drinks coming right to you.”
I smiled at her “Thank you ma’am. I will put in a good word with my father. Maybe we can afford to get you a bigger hospital.” I said as we went down the hall slowly. When we reached the room I looked around and sighed as I lay him on the bed and held his hand. “I’m sorry I didn’t make it earlier. I will try to work on my powers a little more so I can help you with yours. Do you think there is someone in the village that could help us?” I asked.
“Maybe, I think the baker Tara is the one who helped your mother when she first arrived.”
“My mother has powers?” I asked surprised.
“Well yeah, she can grow any kind of flower easily. Animals seem to love her and maybe that is one of her powers, but she is also a water bender.”
“And what is my father good at?” I asked
“He’s good at martial arts and sword fighting. Your brother has a secret that I can’t tell you yet, but you will find out soon enough. For now you can start questioning me about what happened.”
“Well right now I want to ask about your mother, and what all you found out. If you must to get to the details tell me your story.”

A young boy born and abandoned by his parents, that’s what he was told. He now knew he was an elder’s child and he would find out why he was lied to. He down reading his mother, Lucy’s, papers. For so long she tried to protect him from Diego, and she paid the price. The day she died she told him that one day he would need answers to a really important question and he could find them buried by the river. As he searched through her things he read about the most gruesome attack on a couple with the names Aaron and Andrea. They gave birth to a little boy who would soon be the most powerful weapon on the elder’s side.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They were all running for their lives. If any of them died in the circle of elders they would surely be doomed. Especially if the child died, or the evil creatures got a hold of him. They named this child Trevor. He had the most perfect blonde hair and the deepest brown eyes anyone had ever seen. He was the most precious child they had seen, and according to the fortune teller in their village there is only one other child who is going to be just a powerful as he. Her name would be Rose, she would be graceful in the forest, have a great heart and the most powerful of touches. Her and Trevor would meet someday, if he didn’t die now, and they would find the third oldest and of course recruit her. Right now his life is in danger, meaning so is the worlds, if he died there would be no one here to help save the world from the darkness. As Andrea thought this a huge man stepped in front of her and held out his hand.
“Give me the child! I will take him to a safe place. The birth place of Rose, there the royals will keep him safe. The fortune teller will surely know who he is.” The mother handed him her son and the giant disappeared into the forest. Her and Aaron only had eachother to worry about.
“I will find you Trevor. When the day comes for me to find you I will.” Then they disappeared, or that is what it seems. No one ever found them again. Trevor, his name is now Dave and he was adopted by a mad man and his sane wife. His wife, Lucy would keep him safe, because she too is an elder kin and her daughter was taken.
Dave took a deep breath and sighed. His name was really Trevor and he was supposed to meet Rose. Who was Lucy’s daughter and why was she taken? At his point Diego came in and grabbed Dave by his arm.
“What are you doing in here!? I told you my office is off limits boy!” He yelled and looked around. “Next time I expect you to listen to your father Dave!”
“You are not my father, and my name is Trevor. Where did you bury Lucy, Diego!?”
“What are you talking about boy? I did nothing to your mother. I told you she drowned in the river.”
“How could that be possible if the river was low around the time of her death?”
“If I were you I would stop questioning.”
“I don’t need to question anything. I know where everything I need is at, and you cannot stop me.” Trevor (remember that is Dave’s real name) ran out of the cabin and ran towards the elder forest. He knew it was a bad idea, but he also knew that Rose would find him. Dead or alive, she would find him and she would know exactly what happened, and Diego would be doomed. As he ran he looked around for the clearing to the elder circle. He saw the light coming through the trees and could hear the river flow; he could feel his heart beating faster as he slowed down at the opening. In front of him stood an Oak, bigger than any he has ever seen, the river was bluer than anything man or nature made. He found the spot where the single red rose grew and started digging. He didn’t get very far into the dirt before he heard Diego step into the clearing.
“Turn around and face me boy. I want to see what you are made of. Mr. Elder Kin. I wonder if your screams will be like your baby sisters when we took her away. Of course she was of no use to us, she was nothing but a wee little tyke and as far as we could tell she wasn’t as powerful as you. Why do you think you live? I could have killed you when I killed your mother.”
“She was only my sister by adoption, we never even met. Lucy is only my mother because of the way she treated me. You treated me like I was your little slave boy. I don’t even have my own bed.”
“Dave come now let’s…”
“Do what? Talk? I don’t think so. Talking is over rated Diego, don’t you agree?”
“You really think you can fight me son? You haven’t even discovered your powers yet.”
“I found one of my powers and that is love. The other is simple danger. I don’t know how to use it, but love is easy. You’ll see.”
Diego laughed at him. “You are quite pitiful aren’t you little Trevor?” As he finished this he grabbed Trevor by his sleeve and threw him to the ground. “Now I was supposed to wait until you and Rose had a baby, but I suppose now will do.” He drug Trevor to the circle of stones and grabbed a stick setting it on fire. “I’m going to have fun with you, you worthless pile of s***.”
“I’m not worthless! You are! I helped Rose discover her powers and now no one can stop her!” Trevor yelled back standing up getting in position to fight.
“Oh Trevor, I forgot to tell you about what happens when and elder kin is killed in the circle of stones.” He kicked Trevor in the groin and then after he fell to the ground kicked him in his stomach. “When an elder’s child is killed in the circle of stones, any other child of an elder is also killed. They don’t feel pain, so don’t worry about your girlfriend. She’ll die a painless death.” As he said this he lit the circle on fire as well as his torch. As Diego told Trevor this, Trevor started to fight back. He knew as long as he stayed alive Rose would find him and kill or wound Diego. Diego took the torch and held it up to Trevor’s face. “You’ll never see your girlfriend again! You’ll die a painful death, and shortly after she and her friend will die as well. No one will be left to protect this town.” Diego lit Trevor’s clothes on fire and watched as Trevor rolled until it was out.
“I’m not going to quit until either I am or you are dead.”
“Oh, splendid my boy, I hope you enjoy your death as much as I do.” Diego said as he proceeded to strike Trevor with the stick until he was a bloodied mess with burn marks all over his body. “Ah I should leave her to die. You will bleed out and soon your one and only love will die. And no one will know who did this.” As Diego said this he proceeded to walk out of the circle and walk towards the cabin. He got two feet away from the circle before he heard something whistling through the air and before he could turn around he felt a horrible pain in his leg. He looked down to see a red arrow (carved out of a red willow tree no doubt) with a gold rose painted on the side. He fell to the ground screaming in total agony when out of the trees Rose stepped.
“And that’s when you arrived to save the day my love.” Trevor coughed.
“Okay and what of your mother then?”
“Well I don’t know much. Her diary is buried by the elder river. I can’t take you there but I have a feeling you know where that is at.”
“I do. The river is a couple of feet away from the tree and circle. I can find it.” As I said this I picked up my bow and arrows. “I will be back soon my love. Don’t worry I’ll keep an ‘eye’ on you.” Off I went back into the woods to find the grave. The woods went silent, or at least to my ears. I looked around until I saw the opening I went through last time. I saw the cross next to the river and walked over to it and started digging. I came to the box and opened it. In it were four rings, a book and pictures. One of the rings started to glow a deep blue color and floated towards me. I lifted my hand to grab it and it slipped over my hand. As it did I started seeing visions of the past. My mother giving birth to me, Victoria kidnapping me, of Trevor’s past and then a vision I didn’t know of. A little girl falling into the river with her mother. Her father reaching for her and then a big ogre grabbing her and walking away, then the vision from the horrible attack on my town. Except Jazzabelle was asked to follow a soldier and was taken somewhere safe. She was told I killed her mother while she was pregnant with a girl, Jazzi looked stunned and sat down. “Make sure she thinks I’m dead! I will have my revenge.” A man busted through the doors and looked at her.
“My dear Jazzi. It has been so long since I have seen my Niece. I am Clyde there is a lot you should know. For one you were taken from your parents a long time ago to be kept safe and as a result have been here. We have looked into things and Rose has disappeared into a forest we can’t yet get in to. Right now we need to focus on your training. You have a lot to learn. First I would like to give you this purple ring. You’re powers will come soon, and shortly after you will be able to control the earth.” As he said this her eyes lit up and she looked at Clyde.
“Boss, where’d she go?” The solider asked.
“Her power is invisibility this will be great use to us.”
Then the vision turned to a baby being handed to an old lady on a horse. The old lady took her far away to a kingdom with writing I couldn’t understand. As the lady got closer I saw a phoenix land in front of her. “I need someone who is strong to watch over this child. She is the one of the many kin. This will be the only generation of kin born to be this strong. Please look out for her.” As she said this creature big had orange feathers so beautiful and big it made the sky look like a big sun set, grabbed the child so delicately and looked into her eyes.
“You are right wise one. This generation is very strong in will and power. I will look after her. Maybe one day someone will come for her.”
The vision seemed to flash forward and I saw a girl beautiful in every way possible playing with a baby phoenix.  Her hair was a red color and her eyes blue. “RUBY! Be careful. He just got his teeth in. He could hurt you.” The big creature came into view and lay down fresh food.
“Sorry mom. I was just trying to have some fun with him.” Ruby replied as she started to eat, “Thank you for lunch mother it tastes wonderful.”
“You are very welcome Ruby.” The big creature curled in a corner and lie her head down watching the children eat. Just then she heard a sound and turned her head towards the door. A look of worry crossed over her face. “The darkness has come.” She spoke only to herself then grabbing the children with her talons and flying out the back where no one would see.
The vision flashed to cave where the phoenix had landed. She spoke in her native tongue asking for permission to enter. A deeper voice in the same tongue replied and they walked in.
“Ah my dear friend it has been too long since we last spoke. What is the matter?”
When they entered Ruby hid behind her mother’s big wings. “My child, and my human child are both in grave danger.”
“Human child!? The only time I have heard of a phoenix taking care of a human child was in the prophecy.”
“Yes. The prophecy has come. One generation of kin will be strong in mind and will. If they fail to be protected from the darkness all magic will fall and the human race will once again be in grave danger. No longer will the elder kin be able to protect us. This will be the time all forces will have to connect and work together strongly. Two elder women and three elder men will be taken into hiding. While the last one will never notice her power, only this way will truly protect the magic. The last woman will go by the name of Jazzabelle. The other’s have the names that follow: Rose, Ruby, Paul, Trevor, and William. If by chance Jazzabelle discovers her powers the only way to defeat her would be for the other five to meet up and work together as a team.” And the vision stopped there as I fell back from the intensity and looked into the box.
  I picked up everything looking under and I found a necklace with a piece of paper attached to it. “Each one of you will have one of these. Rose’s will be in her room when she again arrives. Trevor this one is yours. Take it and find the other elders. I know fate will find Jazzabelle and she will be the most powerful dark one the world has ever seen.” I stood up with the box and made my trip back to the hospital. I walked into Trevor’s room and saw him laying in bed asleep. I held his locket in my hand and shook my head. I left a note by his bed side. This read ‘Trevor, I just came to check up on you. Your mother had left you a present buried with her stuff. When you wake have the nurse fetch me. Love you dearly, Rose.’ I then left and gave the nurse a flower, an orange rose that would have a red spiral on it when she again met her true love. On the note I wrote ‘Good look, let fate find you happiness.’
I made a trip to the castle and sat down with my mother and brother. “Paul can you do me a favor and open this box please.” I asked politely. He did and when he reached in and pulled out most of the objects in the box. As he got down to the rings a red one slipped over his ring finger and we saw hi