The waynecker | Teen Ink

The waynecker

April 16, 2015
By TheEukaryote17 PLATINUM, Hull, Massachusetts
More by this author
TheEukaryote17 PLATINUM, Hull, Massachusetts
23 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - MLK


Author's note:

What inspired this was the advice from my grandfather and mother, they said to write something realistic, emotional, and to have loads of imagery. This is my practice novel to perfect things. 

"It's done, meet you there." I said to my friend Ben. We decided to go hangout on my fathers building. My father was a rich business man, but that's really all he was. He was one of those types of fathers who never had time for their kids. I was a troublesome kid, one of those kid that knew they were doing the wrong thing, but did it anyway just to rebel. I didn't make all the bad decisions though. My father was too strict and hard on me to realize that I was a bad kid with a good heart. I took my backpack and walked out the door. My butler started to call my name though. "Wayne, Mr. Wayne!" My butler called me. I liked my butler, he was good guy. I pretended I didn't hear him because my headphones were on, even though they were unplugged. "Mr. Wayne, where are you going?" He asked. I took off my headphones and made a face acting like I heard nothing. He repeated himself for the third time, still with plenty of patience. "Oh sorry, I'm going to hangout with Benny." I admitted. It was the truth, I didn't like to lie. "Okay, be back by 6:00 Mr. Wayne." He said. I agreed and walked through of my giant front door, and down my giant driveway, with four cars.

I got on my bike, the newest and coolest. My father always tried to buy my love. I didn't really need this stuff, and so I didn't really appreciate it, and so I didn't care to treat it well. If it broke, he would just buy me a new one. I cycled to my father's building. I was impatient because of how I was spoiled I was. I went as fast as I could, with practically broken brakes. It felt good though, the rush. I was an adrenaline junky. I eventually got to my fathers building. I looked up at the many stories it had as I walked in.

I used my key card to get inside. "Welcome Mr. Etchker." The card said. It didn't say my first name for some reason, only my last name. I hated that, I was not Mr. Etchker, though that was my last name, I was Wayne. That's all I was, I was Wayne. Everyone treated me like that. Substitute teachers would come in and take attendance, "Wayne? Wayne, etch-" they'd say as they realized who I was. "Here." I'd always say with a groan. Some would treat me good, like if they were mean I'd sue them, and some treated me like I had the world. Truth is I really didn't have much of what I wanted. My father offered to put me in a private school. He never understood how I just wanted to be normal. I walked into the building, and through the lobby, with all the business men that worked for my father. I walked up the stairs, glance at each business man. I eventually, after walking up all the stairs, I got the the janitors roof entrance. My friend met me there. He got in on his own by using one of my old cards that I told my dad I lost. Which was true, I lost it, I didn't have it anymore. My dad just gave me a new one, like it was no big deal.

"What took so long?" My friend Benny asked. "My bikes breaks are broken, I didn't want to die." I explained. Then we went to the rooftop. We just chilled and talked for a while. We would always mess with each other, that's how we were friends. This day, he swiped my wallet from my back pocket. "Come one man, give it back." I asked, knowing he wouldn't. "Okay, if you can get it." He challenged. I tried to grab it, but he kept pulling it away. "I'm gonna karate chop you in the neck, if you don't give it." I jokingly threatened. "Go ahead." He dared. Then, he tossed it over my head. It landed on the roof of the next building over. "Oh, sorry dude, I didn't mean for it to go that far." He said. "God Ben, really?" I asked frustrated. "I'm sorry." He said, feeling bad. I didn't really care about the money, all stupid allowance that I didn't need because my dad bought me everything. I didn't have a drivers license to care about. What I did care about were my pictures. I had pictures of my mom in there. Pictures of her and I. Pictures when I was little. I walked toward the edge of the roof, slowly. "Wayne? Dude, we can go get it if we go to the roof of the other building." He suggested. "Oh, I plan on that." I responded. "Cool, let's go." He said not realizing what I meant. I looked down into the alley belong. I knew I wouldn't survive the jump if I missed. "Wayne, let's go. What are you doing." Ben asked starting to realize. "Jumping." I revealed to him. "Are you crazy!?" He asked yelling. "Maybe." I answered.

Then I started to get ready to run. Ben ran at me from behind to hold me back. I dodged him and ran. "Wayne, don't!" He screamed, but it was too late. The foot I jumped off slipped on the pebbles of the rooftop. I felt a feeling. I knew, I had failed. The amount of fear I felt, realizing I had a maximum of 10 seconds left. The amount of anger I felt, that I would die by slipping on a pebble. The amount of happiness I felt that I would be with my mom. The amount of sadness I felt, that my father would be alone. But the strongest I felt, was the rush. My heart jumped into extreme speeds, I almost had a heart attack. But, I only had a few moments to enjoy it. It was arguably the best rush I've ever felt. I flew across, as far as possible, but then I smashed my face on the edge of the other buildings roof. I was knocked out instantly. That's all I remember, well until I woke up.

It's done, I had finally woke up. When I woke up I was in a white room. "This day couldn't get any worse" I said out loud to myself. "It is about to." I heard over some type of loudspeaker. I looked around as my eyes adjusted. It was a white padded room, like a mental patients cell. "We fixed you Wayne. There was no way you would have survived without our help." I heard. "Where am I?" I asked starting to panic. "We also found out that you are a receiver." They said. "What do you mean?" I asked I a started to feel a rush, but not a good one. Then I felt a shock, a literal electric shock. I screamed through the pain. It felt like my brain was being itched by long nails. Then something incredible, awesome, and scary happened. It's hard to explain what happened, but imagine me turning into dust, and my dust flying through the air to another part of the room, then joining again to bring me back. When I came back to my normal form I started to freak out. "What was that? What happened?" I asked. I kind of knew what had happened, but couldn't believe it. "What had happened was something we here in like to call, phase dashing." I heard. "When we brought you back to life, we found that you are a receiver. Receiver is a special word for people that get abilities from dying coming back. You've never heard of it because it is a decreasingly rare, genetic evolution and is activated when one if revived. It's a gift." He revealed. I was really freaking out now.

Then I heard gunshots. I almost fainted. A hidden door on one wall of the cell opened. A woman came in, "we gotta go, come on!" She said. I was ready to lose it then. I was glad she helped me escape though. She wouldn't have saved me if she were bad. I went with her because I didn't really have a choice. I followed her down the hall, having no idea where I was, still. Her hands were empty I noticed. I wondered where the gunshots came from. I just continued following her down the hall. A security guard came around the corner with a gun in his hand. "Put your hands behind your head!" Another guard came around the corner following him, also aiming his gun. I remembered my "gift". The woman who saved me out her hands behind her head, I saw a tattoo of a handgun on her neck. I saw her tattoo come off her neck, which was unbelievable. I saw the guards prepare to shoot. I had to do something. I used my gift, I dashed. I disarmed the guard because after I dashed I was less than a foot in front of him. While my action distracted the other guard the woman shot him. "So that's what they did to you." She said. "Yeah." I said not really knowing what to say. Then we continued. I continued to dash and got the hang of it pretty quickly. When we finally got outside I realized where we were, were in the same city. We were in my fathers building. I couldn't take it anymore, I fainted.

When I woke up I was on a couch. I saw the woman. She was wearing a tank top and one of those purposely ripped up jeans. She had red hair and tan skin. She was beautiful. "What happened?" I asked the woman. "We escaped." She said simply. "How?" I wondered. "Did you see what I did with the guns?" She asked. Then I thought back, they were tattoos that she pulled off her skin. "Yeah, tattoos." I said still feeling weird. "I have tattoos of wings, and yeah, all my tattoos can come off. That's why my code name is inkheart." She said. "Coooooool." I said thinking it was amazing. "What you can do, I've never seen anything like it." She said about my dashing. "Yeah, they called it phase dashing." I said. "What do you know about them?" I asked. "They gave you your dash, and they kidnapped some boy named Ben." She revealed. "What?!" I asked. "Yeah, they're holding him hostage. I don't know why they chose him, but I'm sure the police will take care of it." She replied not knowing he was my friend. "They chose him because he's my friend!" I said. "We need to go save him!" I continued. "I don't know if that is the best idea." She said. "Why not? We can't leave him there!" I yelled. "Calm down, if we go there and get caught, they'll kill us both!" She said. "Then we just be very sneaky. My dashing could be stealthy." I suggested. "What if we fail?" She asked not having confidence in my plan. "He risked his life to save me when I died, though I came back, I need to return the favor." I said. She thought in silence for a few moments, I stared at her for her response. She was really beautiful. "Okay, I'm trusting you though." She said. "You should." I said. "Let's go." She said as we walked out her front door.

We walked down the stairs and out of her apartment. I saw her car out front, it looked expensive. We got inside. "What's your name?" I asked once we got in. "Inkheart." She said not telling me her actual name, just her "code name". "What do you do for a living?" I asked. "Honestly, steal." She said. I felt like I shouldn't trust her as much, but I did because I wanted to. "What's your code name?" She asked, expecting I already had one. "I don't have one, I've never needed one. Why do I need one?" I asked. "In emergency situations, I'll be the only one who knows it." She said. "Well my biggest personality trait, is that I make risky decisions." I said while thinking. "Well you stick your neck into situations. What about waynecker?" She asked. "Sounds cool, but strange at the same time, but honestly, more strange than cool." I said. "Well at least no one will figure it out, and no one will understand it if we just say it." She said, which was true and good points. Then we arrived. We walked inside. I searched my pockets for my key card, I couldn't find it. "They must have confiscated my key card when they revived me." I said. "It's okay, you should just dash through the door." She advised. "I'll try." I said. I grabbed her hand, and tried to dash through the door with her, hoping she would be carried with me. Luckily she was. When we came back she fell to her knees. "Feels weird, huh?" I asked. "Yeah, very." She responded looking nauseous. I helped her up and she looked at me, but different than usual. We continued to move through my fathers building. I remembered it was his building when we came in. I had forgotten it because I fainted. I wondered what part my father had in this. This made me angry as we took out aggressive guards. Eventually we had gotten to a room with a man who looked like he was the leader. "Where's bennit?!" Inkheart yelled asking. "It's Benny." I whispered to her. "Where's Benny?" She asked more correctly, but I wasn't as cool anymore. "He's in the cell." He answered simply. I should have known on it was a trick, he wouldn't have told me that quickly if it wasn't. I phased through the smallest opening in the hidden doors frame. That was a major upside to my new ability, I could now phase dash through the smallest of cracks. When I got in, I saw Benny. They were electrocuting him the same way they did to me. Except, Benny died. "No!" I screamed when I realized. "Why? What do you want? You killed him!" I screamed. "We did it because we found something in his genes, he is like you two, a receiver." The man said to inkheart and I calmly, like a sociopath almost. "Bring him back!" I screamed. "If you insist." The man said. They jolted him, until he came back to life. He screamed at the top of his lungs when he came back to life. "I think he just unwrapped his gift!" I tried to scream over him. I said that because his scream wasn't normal, it was an insanely amplified, high pitch, ear piercing, chalk board scratching, banshee screech. That was definitely his new code name whether he did or did not like it, screech.

The author's comments:
In this chapter they meet another team that you may recognize from another novel of mine that is currently not written yet called "Hermes". They also meet author etchker. The end is a cliff hanger.

Dude, you're okay, but we have to get out of here! I said to him. Get away from me! He said. He scared me, he seemed so different. What's wrong, we have to go! I tried to convince him. Back off!He screamed, it was a scream, but he used his power, that's what we'll call it, a power scream. What is your problem Ben? I came here to help you! I said starting to really get mad. No, you came here to get me to help you. You're selfish! You need my help, that's all you want! He said furiously. We also gave him a little something else. The mind can be bent so easily with so little chemicals. It's amazing, isn't it.The leader said. Ben, get them out of here. He said to Ben. Then Ben started to power scream. It was deadly. He started to walk toward me and I was forced to back up as I felt like my ears were bleeding. He finally stopped and whispered angrily "leave, now." I didn't know exactly what they did to him, but they brainwashed him or something. I went to leave. I phase dashed through the secret door. What happened? Inkheart asked. They brainwashed him. I said simply. We came here for nothing? She asked. I guess so." I said upset. Well. Now I've got you right where I want you. The leader said. Then guards came behind inkheart and I. "Leave them alone." Someone said, but it was a voice I recognized. I saw my dad turn the corner behind the guards. Arthur, we had a deal.The leader said. ;But mr falsentio, there are loophole that we both can exploit. He responded. I guess that the leader is named mr falsentio, at least now I can stop calling him the leader. Wayne, the thing about being a receiver is that the powers are called necro-bilities, which is way cooler than just calling them abilities, and much more importantly, it's genetic. Get down!" My dad said quickly. I dunked and so did inkheart, she was completely confused because she didn't know Arthur etchker was my father. Then my father blasted a mass of wind in the guards and knocked them all out, including falsentio. Get us out of here wayne. He said, implying he wanted me to dash. We all held hands and when I dashed they all were carried with me. We eventually were completely out of the building. When we came back together, I was gasping for air though.I know it hurts wayne, but we have to go!; My father said, he wasn't out of breath. I walked as fast as I could to ink hearts car, feeling like I was going to collapse. I sat in the front seat and inkheart drove. "What's wrong with him? Inkheart asked.When he dashes he loses his breath. 1 second in the phase mode is equivalent to 5 seconds in the real world. I was never good in science, but he travels through many parallel dimensions where time acts differently.He explained. It doesn't happen to us ever, only the phaser. He continued. How do you know all of that? I asked, finally starting to catch my breath.Like I said, it's genetic. He said. ;So you can phase dash too? I asked excited. No, I can sonic clap, your mother on the other hand, could phase dash. He said. So where's your mother? Inkheart asked. My mother had passed away years ago during a vacation where she got a foreign illness that wasn't cured in time. explained. That's what I told you wayne, but that isn't true. He said. No, people like falsentio, called interrupters, caught her. Interrupters are against receivers, because man fears what he does not know. He explained more. I was in tears. I tried to act like I was fine and said something to not think about it. So I got moms phase dash, does that mean Harriet got your Sonic clap?I asked, not expecting the answer I heard next. ;Yes.My father said. ;Who's Harriet?Inkheart asked. She's my sister. She moved away and we don't talk much.I explained simply. "Is she okay? I asked. Yeah, she found that she had it before you were born, she had a severe allergic reaction and when she came back, we learned it was genetic and she had my sonic clap.He said. ;I can't do this much longer, I'm getting old, so she needs to help when she comes back." He said. "We need someone's help, now, we need to get Benny!" I said. "Well, receivers aren't the only secret people." He said. "Who else is there?" Inkheart asked. "Imagine secret mailmen, some with super powers, delivering secrets." He revealed. "How would they help us?" I asked. "Let's go visit them and see if they even can first." He stated. "Where are they?" Inkheart asked. "The group that are around here and I've met, are in a secret place in a subway. The subway is not too far from here, I'll give you directions." He suggested. "No, it's too dark, we'll go tomorrow." I said. We went home and I didn't get a lot of sleep because I was thinking about my mom. I thought about my mom, and how much I wanted to avenge her. The next day we quickly got up and ready. We got in the car, then he gave us directions until we arrived. We walked down the subway stairs. And jumped onto the tracks "what if trains come?I asked. ;We die. Inkheart said. That makes me feel great! I said sarcastically. "It's not far, we'll be fine." My father said. "How do you and the messengers know each other? Inkheart asked. My wife was a messenger and was friends with the current leaders mom." He explained. Mom was a messenger too?" I asked surprised. Yeah, it was great that she helped people, but it put her in a lot more danger.He said. When we go there he knocked on the door. Password. Someone behind the door asked. Sign here He said. I heard a couple clicks, and then the door opened. I saw the her, the leader. She was beautiful and there was an instant click between us because she looked at me the same way I did at first sight. Hi Kaitlin, I was friends with your parents, my name is Aaron etchker. This is my son, wayne, and his friend, codename InkheartHe introduced, she snapped out of it and it seemed like she was staring off into space. Oh sorry, I'm codename Hermes, leader of the secret messengers around the city. She introduced herself. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a codename. Inkheart said. "Are people just suppose to have codenames in secret groups? I asked. Yeah, kinda. She said like it was obvious. Come in.She said to us after that. Welcome to the base!" She said inviting us. ;Over there are games, over here is our living room, and over that way are our beds. She showed us around pointing.;You guys sleep down here? I asked. "Yeah, we only go up for deliveries. That way we can't be tracked. She explained. Don't people see you walk down the tracks ever? Inkheart asked. ;We use the ladder over there to climb up into a building above us. The owner is the only person who isn't a deliverer that knows where are base is, well, besides you guys, we didn't even know you knew. In fact, I've never even met you. How do I know I can trust you?" She asked without trust and slightly hostile. "Kaitlin, my wife died for your parents, my son needs help, please." My dad said, kind of angrily. "Okay, good reasons, but I'm not sure I can help you, I have no powers. But there are people here that do have powers and could help you. What do you need help with?" She asked. "We need to defeat someone with screeching powers." He revealed to her. "I have the perfect person, she's deaf so she'll really be able to handle him." She said. Then she called her over. She currently doesn't have a codename, she's new, but she's pretty much a deaf ninja. Hermes said. Nice to meet you. I'm codename Waynecker.; I introduced. "Nice to meet you too, I heard you need some help?; She asked. Yeah, long story short, my friend was kidnapped and brainwashed, and we need to get him back. I explained. "You guys can exit through the building above. Hermes suggested.And waynecker, if you need help again with something like this, call me. Or just call me if you want. She said, not only giving me her number for work purposes. Thanks, I'll call you. I replied glad. Inkheart was kind of jealous. Then we headed up. We were in the back off a Chinese restaurant. Where are you going now? A staff member asked, recognizing the new messenger and that she was on a mission with us.I'll be back later Mr. Lee! She yelled to him as we walked out of the restaurant. We walked back to inkhearts car at the entrance of the subway.Are you guys ready? She asked. Yeah, I'm gonna dash right past them!I said sounding awesome. We all got in the car. What can you do?Inkheart asked the messenger. "I have a wide variety of martial arts skills.She said simply. ;So your power is butt kicking? I asked.  guess you could say that. She said laughing. I've been taught it for most of life. She said. We kept driving and there wasn't much to say. Eventually we arrived at the building. You ready? I asked. Heck. Yeah. The new messenger said excited. Then we stormed into the building running. The guards were ready for our expected return. We went into what seemed like a small war on no man's land. The messenger took out every guard with ease. Inkheart made her tattoo of her brass knuckles come off and used them. And my father was trying, but it was too much for him. I took out my share of the guards and saved my dad. Thanks wayne. He said. We continued to take the tour and my father repeatedly struggling. He was right, he was getting way too old for this. We got to the entrance of the back room, just around the corner. I'm going to dash with our messenger into there and she is knock out screech, Inkheart, you keep an eye on falsentio. Dad, do your sonic clap if something goes wrong. I planned with the team. ;His codename is screech? Inkheart asked. Yeah, a very fitting codename. I answered. 'm suppose to make the codenames around here!; She said jokingly. 3,2,1, GO! I counted down. I followed the plan. Inkheart aimed her gun at falsentio, and he aimed back. She noticed him cock the hammer on his pistol. She tried to shoot him, but missed, then he shot. The messenger didn't notice it and still knocked out screech before he even got a chance. Falsentio shot my father. We were all distracted by my injured father. Dad! I screamed. Code 89! Falsentio yelled. See ya'll around, sorry Arthur, don't violate our contract again.Then someone immediately appeared next to him and teleported him away.Coward! I screamed out of anger. I dashed all of us out of the building and dropped them off next to inkhearts car. Then I dashed, as fast as I could, not being able to breath, until I got to a hospital. Help!; I screamed as we entered with his arm around my shoulder to help him, though he wasn't able to walk at all. I was gasping for air. "He's been shot!I yelled as a doctor came over with gurney and put him on it. I was in tears and still desperately trying to catch my breath. I hoped more than I ever had, that he would be okay.

The author's comments:
In this chapter two big change happens. New relationships start and someone is taken out of the picture. Not sure if they will return, probably not.

CHAPTER 4: Infiltration
Finally, after hours of waiting, a doctor came from around the corner, came over, and woke me up. I was the only one there for him, but it's okay because the others were busy. The new messenger helped us and her job was done. Inkheart was busy explaining everything to screech and trying to get rid of his brainwashing. "He'll be alright." The doctor said which was good enough for me to hear. I was still trying to wake up. I took out my phone to looked at the time. It was 5:14. I also saw I had a message from Hermes. I was glad she messaged me. "He needs to rest though, he can't be doing anything too difficult." The doctor said. "But he'll be fine?" I asked. "Yes, we'll take care of him for the next few days." The doctor said. I went to text Inkheart that he was okay, "My dad's okay, they said he'll be fine." I sent, then I went to check Hermes message since I was already in my messages. "Falsentio put a tracker on her, get down here asap!" It read. I started to panic, what would they do to them if they shot my father and killed screech and I?! I left the hospital and phased dashed to the Chinese food restaurant. As I dashed I noticed it was hard to stay out of sight, if people saw me that would be bad. Eventually I got down there, I created a strategy, dash for 6 seconds, breath, dash again for 6 seconds. It was like holding your breath for 30 seconds, breathing, then holding for 30 seconds again. It worked really well. When I got to the Chinese restaurant I saw that the owner was unconscious. I dashed over and checked his pulse, he was still alive. I opened the hatch in the ground that led to their base.

I dashed down there and saw falsentio with a few men and all the messengers tied up. "Hey, what are you doing?" I asked, making him notice I was there. His friends aimed their guns at me. "Do not shoot." He commanded them, but they still aimed at me. "I'm gathering a few here for, experimental purposes." He explained. "No, you're not." I told him. "You can't stop me wayne." He threatened. "Wanna bet?" I asked. "Remember what I said after I shot your father?" He asked. "No, but I remember calling you a coward." I replied. "I said, code 89." He reminded me. "Cool, what about it?" I asked. "It's a signal, for my friend." He explained. Then I remembered, some man teleported in and saved him, and I wasn't going to let him get away again. I dashed towards him but I wasn't fast enough, he dodged me. The teleporter came in and grabbed him. I was furious. I untied the messengers. "Why was he even here?" I asked Hermes. He wants to get back at us. "How?" I asked. "I have no idea." She said. "Okay, we can't stay here though." I said. "That's what he expects us to do, leave." She said. "What else do we do?" I asked. "I don't know. I don't even know why he left, he could've killed you, right then." She said. "He's gotta have something up his sleeve." I said. "He is steps ahead of us, every move we make, we're cornered. It's all a trap with no escape." She said. "I know, but we at least have to leave, anything is better than staying here." I suggested. "And go where?" She asked. "The safest place would be my sister's house. The apartment isn't safe enough and plus she could be able to help us." I thought. "I'll go call her." I said. I dialed her number and as it was ringing I was thinking. "Hello?" I heard. It was her. I didn't know what to say at first. "Who is this?" She asked. "Hey, it's wayne." I answered. "Hey, we haven't talked for a while? How is it going?" She asked. "Kinda, um, like, bad." I said. "Why?" She asked. "I need help." I said. I explained that I knew the whole receiver thing and dad and everything. She didn't want to get involved, but she said she would help. I texted Inkheart and she drove us all, we didn't all fit so it took a few trips.

We rung the doorbell. Harriet answered it quickly. "Wow." She said not realizing at first how many people, there weren't a bunch of messengers, but enough for a fitting "wow". "So, um." I said, trying to think of something to say to extinguish the awkwardness. "Come in." She said, finally ending the silence. "Thank you, again Harriet." Hermes said. "Yeah, uh, no problem." She said even though she thought it kind of would be a problem. It took a while for things to stop being so awkward. Later on we all tried to make a plan, all of the messengers besides Hermes were not helping. "We should go to falsentio's labs." I suggested. "What if he's there?" Harriet asked. "Well, we take him down." Inkheart said. "We've done that, it doesn't end well, last time my dad got shot, before that they took screech." I reminded her. "Okay, how can we tell if he's there or not?" Harriet asked. "I can hack into his security camera system." Screech said. Screech was really computer smart. He went over to her computer that was across the room. In minutes he had it set up. "He, is not there." Screech said. "Okay, are we good to go?" Harriet asked. "Yeah, Hermes and screech, you guys stay here, Harriet, Inkheart, and I will go find clues." I planned. Everyone was cool with that.

When we got there. I tried to dash for as long as possible so we could get inside as far as possible without being seen. When I couldn't make it any longer, I collapsed onto my knees. We weren't seen immediately, but I couldn't keep moving, I needed to catch my breath. Eventually the guards saw us but Inkheart and Harriet defended me as I started to get my energy back and caught my breath. Once my breath was back, I was angry. I quickly zoomed around and disarmed all the guards, one, with a head butt. "Ouch." Inkheart said. "For them." I responded. "That didn't hurt your head?" Inkheart asked. "No." I said surprisingly. "It's his thick skull, the only thing that hurts it is thinking." Harriet teased. "Ha ha." I said pretending to laugh. I was used to her corny jokes about me. "Let's go." I said reminding them that we were on a mission. We continued and I continued to head but every guard we ran into, it was pretty funny. Harriet continued to make jokes about it until she ran out of them. Once we got to his office, we searched. It took a while to find his office because it wasn't near the room that screech and I were in. We moved his giant cabinet in front of the door as a barrier. We searched as the guards started to slam against it trying to open it. "Find anything?!" I said as we were all scrambling through his office trying to find something. "No!" Inkheart said. "Maybe." Harriet said somewhat calmer than Inkheart and I. We both tried investigate at what she was looking at. "It's a code." I said. "Why would he have a code?" Inkheart asked. The guards were still slamming against the door, almost starting to come in. "I don't know, but it's definitely the only clue here. Are you guys ready to go?" I asked. They nodded. The door had only a small wedge open. We all grabbed hands and I carried them as I phase dashed. We dashed between the crack that the door was open and continued. Eventually we got outside, but this time, it wasn't as easy as getting in the car and speeding off. There was practically an army out in front of the building facing us. I was gasping for air, not ready to attack yet, I really needed to perfect that. Inkheart and Harriet were standing still for a few moments. "PUT YOUR HANDS ON YOUR HEADS!" One guard yelled. None of us did that. Then he started to count down, "5, 4, 3, 2..." Then we all retaliated. Harriet blasted her sonic clap, now she had earned the codename. Inkheart pulled off her pistol tattoo. The two of them weren't enough though. The remaining guards started to prepare to fire. I had to think of something. Though I had barely caught my breath, I started to phase dash in a circle around them. I dashed so fast that it started to disoriented them. I flashed all around them. They fell down, collapsing. The second I saw them hit the ground, so did I. I couldn't dash anymore, it took too much energy. I wiped out and flew like being tackled by a pro football player. Inkheart and sonic clap ran over to me. "Are you okay?" Sonic clap asked me. "Yeah, but I'm never doing that again, it's too dangerous and energy draining." I explained. I sat there for a moment and got up and walked to the car before more security came. We got in the car and I felt sick the whole drive.

Eventually we got back, not much was said during the ride. "Did you find anything Hermes asked the second we walked in the door. I held up the post-it note with the code on it. She walked over to me, took it, and looked at it. "Um, that's the code to our message vault." She said worried. "That's where they must be going next." Inkheart said. "Probably." Screech said. "We have to go stop them!" One of the messengers said. "We have to go, as fast as possible." Another said. I didn't think I could carry them while I phased, I had overworked myself. It was like pulling a muscle, but I had to try. "Come on, I can get there fastest." I offered. "No, you wiped out, you look sick, you can't do it." Sonic clap said worrying about me. "I got this." I said which was the sibling language for: "no, don't tell me what to do, but thanks for worrying.". This would be the most people I had ever carried at one time, but I thought I could do it. I took a deep breath, and dashed. I dashed as long and fast as possible while carrying what felt like 120 pounds on my shoulders. I started to cringe and shake, but I couldn't drop them, and stopping would make me completely quit. No stopping, no breaks, no giving up, I had to.

I continued, and continued, until we got there. I stopped and fell to the ground. I threw up because of how fast I went. I almost passed out because of the air. I ached because of how heavy it felt. It was the worst I had ever felt. All the messengers ran into the Chinese restaurant that led to their hideout, except Hermes. She stopped to see if I was okay. "I'm okay. Just give me a minute." I said. "Are you sure you're okay?" She asked. Honestly, I wasn't completely sure. I got up, slowly and painfully. She grabbed my hand and helped me up. "Let's go get them." I said, ready. We ran into the Chinese resturant and down into their base. We looked around and falsentio was on the ground cornered by all the messengers. It felt good to see a scared look on his face. I took Hermes's hand and dashed up to him, and got in his face. "You can't hurt me." He said, not even himself believing that. "Wanna bet?" I said repeating what I had said to him the last time we met. I grabbed him and tried something new. I dashed straight up into the air, and as I fell, I slammed him into the ground, knocking him out instantly. I dusted my hands off jokingly and metaphorically. "Well, thank god that is over with." I said gladly. "Thanks." Hermes said, then kissing me. "Oh." I said, not really knowing what else to say. "Is 'oh' good or bad?" She asked. "I'll tell you Saturday at 5:00 in the restaurant above us." I said, obviously implying a date. "Okay, sounds good." She said, which was great. She looked at the safe. "Looks like he did get away with something though." She said. "Do you need help with that?" I asked willing to help her because I brought her into this. "No, we can handle it." She said. "Okay, glad he's done. See you Saturday." I said getting ready to leave. I grabbed falsentio's shoulder, so that I would carry him as I dashed. "See ya around." I said, not really wanting to leave. "Bye." She said.

Then I dashed back up the ladder and through the restaurant. I used my technic of dashing for 6 seconds and breathing for 1 second and dashing again for 6 seconds. I decided I would call that the 6 second dash. I dropped him off at the police's office with a note on his shirt reading: "search labs, illegal experiments.". I would love to see his face waking up there. When I got back to sonic claps house my crew was there. "Did you catch him?" Screech asked. "Yep, police have him, the messengers are safe, everything's great. I even learned a few new tricks." I explained to them. "What are they?" Screech asked, being the only one in my crew who didn't come to falsentio's labs with us. "The headbutt, the disorienting cycle, and the dash smash." I explained talking about the headbutt from when we went into falsentio's labs, the disorienting cycle from when we faced his small army outside his labs, and the dash smash from when I knocked out falsentio in the messengers hideout. "The last one sounds the coolest." He said. "I agree." I said. "We did good today." I said to the the whole team. "Yeah we did!" Inkheart said proud.

The author's comments:
A new enemy arises and he is met with a member of the team before.

It had been a few months since then that we got back to work. Everything had been safe and great. My dad got better in no time. Sonic clap found a few new tricks. I practiced so I wouldn't feel like crap and get overworked too easily. Hermes and I had gone a few dates, which were all great. Life was awesome, but then of course it couldn't stay that way. "Hey guys, look at this." Screech said referring to the news. We were all hanging out in sonic clap's house. "What?" I asked wondering. "There's a bank robbery, but it's not by a normal criminal." Screech said not knowing how else to explain it. "Why?" Sonic clap asked. "He, is like, made of metal." Screech said. "What do you mean?" I asked confused. "No, really guys. Look at him." He said trying to convince us. Then Inkheart finally looked up from her phone. We all walked from the kitchen into the living room and over to the television to see what it was. "Oh my god." Inkheart said. "I know, his skin was literally metal." I said. "No, that's not why I'm surprised. That's my ex." She said. "Woah." Screech said. "We can't just let him do that, but I would understand if you don't want to come." I said to Inkheart understanding. "Uh, I don't know." She said. We could all tell she didn't want to. "We'll be fine, we'll have 3 people, which is more than enough." Sonic clap tried to convince her. "Uh, what do you mean 3 people?" Screech asked. "Don't be a chicken, your coming." I said to him. This would be his first fight with a super enemy. "I don't think I can." He said. "You could blow his head off with the sound off your voice." I said trying to convince him. Inkheart asked: "Are you guys sure?" Wondering if we would be okay without her. "We'll be fine, all 3 of us." I said confirming that screech would be coming. "Fine." He said worried, but secretly excited. "Alright. First battle all season!" I said trying to get them hyped. "Grab hands." I said preparing them. Screech grabbed sonic clap's hand, and she held mine. "Ready?" I asked. "Nope." Screech said still nervous. Then I dashed. It felt great that the practice paid off. We were out the door in less than 1 second and we were at the bank in no time.

Once we got there, I was out of breath, but not too bad. "I'm gonna get sick." Screech said nauseous from the phasing. "Yeah, that happens, you'll get used to it." I assured him. I put my mask on to disguise my identity. I didn't feel right with a mask on, but I didn't want to get in trouble for helping. It was a mask that only covered above my mouth. We were across the street from him. I dashed over the street and into the small area that the robber was in. All the bullets were deflecting off of his skin. I rejoined myself from phasing and the second I was back in my normal form I was behind him and I grabbed his shoulders and threw him. "Halt fire!" An officer screamed to his fellow policemen. "Hey, I'm here to help!" I said. I didn't think before I dashed over there, it was stupid of me. "Hands up, or we will fire." He warned. I was angry. "Okay first of all, you won't hit me. Second, I'm helping you. Third, he's gonna kill me if I don't defend myself. Fourth, you guys, unfortunately, can't stop him." I said confident that that excuse would work. "Open fire!" He commanded the other officers. "What?!" I scream furious that they would try to kill me for helping them. I phased in and out of dust and normal form rapidly while they shot, and since phasing turned me into dust, I couldn't be hit. All of their bullets went past me and I was unharmed. "I told you!" I yelled. I was too busy with the officers and I had forgotten about the real problem, the steel robber. He had gotten up from where I threw him and he was then running at me. I felt this strange feeling, like a tingling shiver. I phased, out of instinct, to not be hit. He was running at me and fell to the ground because he was trying to tackle me and I phased which made him go right through me. "Okay, that was cool." I said to myself. I phased because of a sense that I was going to be attacked. It was strange, but awesome. I'd have to ask my dad if mom did that, later. "Do you usually eat cement for lunch?" I asked taunting him. "Shut it, freak!" He yelled at me. "I know you are but what am I?" I asked just aggravating him more. That's one thing that Harriet taught me growing up, comebacks. He got up and tried to punch me. I phased out of instinct again. The police started shooting at us again and we were both incapable of being hurt from it. He swung again and again and I just kept phasing and making him miss. "Missed me, missed me again." I said between the punches. The thing about it was that I was starting to lose my breath from it. "My turn." I said implying I was going to punch him. I tried I new trick that I learned over the few months of practice, I would pull back my fist, and as I threw it forward to hit him, I would phase it in and out to gain speed and force. I punched him right in the face, but he didn't even move. I was surprised, but after a few moments, I looked at my hand, I couldn't feel it, but it looked like a child's attempt at a play dough version of a hand. I had broken my hand. I phase dashed away from him. "Uh, time out?" I asked not actually expecting him to say yes. "No punk, it's my turn." He said repeating what I said while getting ready to hit me.

Then, out of no where, he was picked up from the wind and dragged away like a rag doll. As he was lifted from the ground I saw sonic clap was behind him. She had her mask on too. The police stopped shooting then. "Just like old times." She said referencing how she would save me from fights when we were little, I pretended to not know what she was talking about. He was at least 7 feet behind me, and I was still on the ground, shocked from my hand. I got up and dashed over to her. "Thanks." I said in pain. "Are you alright?" She asked while blowing him back as he continued to try to get up. "No, I broke my hand." I said. "Oh my god." She said. The worst part was it was the hand I wrote with. "Yeah, I need to think things through more." I said. "Yeah, screech isn't coming over here. I was over there so long trying to convince him." She said. I phased back across the street, grabbed his shoulder, phased back to sonic clap's side, came back to normal form, and shoved screech towards the robber. "Don't be a coward!" I yelled to him disappointed. Sonic clap stopped blowing the robber away because she was drained of energy and didn't want to hurt screech. "Go get him, bro." I said trying to encourage him. Screech looked like he had a sever case of stage fright. The robber got up. "What is this little worm?" He asked. I saw screeches face, he didn't like that. "The worms that's gonna put you down!" I yelled to him. "Is that a challenge?" He asked. I wanted screech to answer that question with confidence. "Yep, it is." Screech said. Then the robber ran towards him, the ground shook with each heavy step of his giant titanium foot. Screech took a deep breath as the robber ran towards him. I put my fingers in my ear to prepare for his scream. He did his job, he screeched. The robber was blown away immediately. Screech made him flip all the way around and land on his stomach. But then, the robber got up. He started to slowly walk towards screech like he was in a hurricane as screech continued to scream. Sonic clap walked next to screech to help him and started blowing the robber away with her wind blasts. I prepared to dash up to the robber and finish him. I looked at my hand. It looked worse, I don't know how to describe it. I took a deep breath and dashed past screech and sonic clap and into the blast of sound and air they were making. I grabbed the robber by his hair, which was practically the only part of him that wasn't metal, with my hand that wasn't broken and smashed his face into the ground. Then screech and sonic clap stopped. They were both drained of energy.

One police officer started a slow clap, which spread until all of the officers were clapping for us. It felt good. Screech was probably the happiest of the three of us. "Thank you!" I said bowing, as a joke. "Okay, your welcome. Oh, and please, I beg you, don't shoot at us anymore." I said. "Who are you?" One yelled through the crowd. "I'm, the waynecker." I introduced myself. I was going to let screech and sonic clap introduce themselves if they wanted to. "I am screech." He said. "And I am, blast." Harriet said. "What happened to sonic clap?" I whispered to her asking. "It was too long and stupid." She whispered back. I wasn't sure how much better blast was, but she was right that sonic clap wasn't good. "Okay, nice to meet you officers, but we'll be needing him." I said as we held and hands and I dashed over to the robber to take him with us. I knew that the officers wouldn't want me to take him, but they wouldn't be safe if they took him, and they wouldn't be able to control him, this was the only option. We dashed until we got to the junkyard in town. Once we came back to normal form, I was out of breath again. "How are we going to take care of him? Once he wakes up we're toast!" Blast said, which was a good point. "We need to, we can't leave him with the police, he'll kill them, then he'd escape, and we'd fight him again, and I'd break my other hand!" I said revealing to her that this is the only way we can do it. "It's all trouble." She said thinking it was a bad plan. "What about when he wakes up?" She asked. "Oh, good question." I said realizing that I hadn't thought things through, again. "What do you think, screech?" I asked him. "Uh, we could ask Inkheart if he has any weaknesses." He suggested. "See? We could ask Inkheart if he has any weaknesses!" I told blast like it was my idea. "I'll go get her." I said preparing to dash to blast's house to pick Inkheart up. I was still out of breath, but I was going to use my six second technique, where I dash for six seconds, stop and breath for one, and repeat. I started to dash there and I was there eventually.

I was outside her door and was still busy catching my breath. After a few moments I opened the door. "Hey, we caught him, but we need your help now. Does he have any weaknesses we can use for, um, interrogation?" I asked. "Not that I know of, he wasn't, ya know, made of metal when we were going out." She said. "Okay, um, can you try to get him to talk?" I asked unfortunately requiring her to go through something so awkward like that. "I guess. How did you guys do?" She asked. "We took him out, but he broke my hand." I said. "Oh my god are you okay?" She said worried about me. "I should probably go to the hospital, but I can't right now." I said. "Okay, ready?" I asked her referring to phase dashing. She walked over and took my hand that wasn't broken. "I guess." She said remembering how strange and nauseous it makes people feel. Then I dashed, and used the six second method again. When we got there he was still unconscious on the ground. "I thought you said he was tied up?" Inkheart asked. "Yeah..." I said just before I grabbed him and phase jumped up to the junkyard car magnet in the junkyard. "He is." I said once I was in my normal form and the robber was on the magnet, jokingly making it seem like he was there in the first place. "Okay, give him a rude awakening, screech." I said excited for the next part. Screech screamed and aimed it directly at the Inkheart's ex boyfriend, the robber. Then the robber woke up panicking. He started to calm down after a moment or two. He looked around and eventually noticed Inkheart, "Vicky?" He asked obviously referring to Inkheart.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.