Princess Charming | Teen Ink

Princess Charming

April 10, 2015
By Tardis67, Tega Cay, South Carolina
More by this author
Tardis67, Tega Cay, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't convince them, confuse them."


Author's note:

I hope you find it funny and sweet!

As I race around the palace, just a 13 year-old girl, I hear something in the woods surrounding the palace. I glance around to see if anyone was looking and then rushed to where I kept my sword. My mother forbade me from learning weaponry, but I of course defied her. I mean, who else would defend the kingdom since my father's death two years ago? I get the sword and put on a helmet I had stolen from the palace guards. 
 I reach the woods and shout in the manliest voice I can muster. "Who goes there?" I heard the noise again and a boy comes out. He must not be very old because he was shorter than me and still had baby fat on his face. He had brownish blond hair and bright green eyes. He says in a squeaky voice, "I am Prince Samuel from Giago. Who wants to know?" 
 I pull off the helmet I had pulled on to cover my hair. "I am Princess Jennifer of Letsik and I thought that Prince Samuel was 14." The boy huffs indignantly. "I AM 14!! I just haven't had a growth spurt yet!"
"My bad-"
"And I thought princesses were girls!" He says snootily.
I am getting tired of this "prince's" attitude.


"Listen, ya royal brat, one day when you need to fight for your life, you won't be able to because you were stuffing your face during sword practice. I will have to fight for you. I taught myself to fight and I have bested all of my father's men. While dressed as a boy."
Tears fill his eyes. Then recognition dawns on his face. "Wait. YOU are Princess Jennifer?" "Yeah. You going to do something about it?" I say tiredly. I had been patrolling the grounds all night and only got four hours of sleep.
"No, it's just that I have heard my parents mention your name before."
"What are you doing here anyways?" I say, realizing that his kingdom was a good three days ride from here.
"My parents are visiting your mom for some reason." he said quietly. 
"We should get back in case they want to talk to us." As I say those words, I hear "JEN-NI-FERRRRRR!" 
"Oh no." I say, fear in my voice. "Quick, quick, quick!" I say in a rush. I run, pulling off my armor and stashing it as I go. The sound get louder. "JENNIFER!" I pull a dress over my head, ignoring Prince Brat's shocked sounds. I reach the kitchen, opening the door and getting a stern look from my friend Paige. She points to my feet and I realize I still have my boots on. We quickly trade shoes and I take Prince Baby Fat to his room.
"Tell anyone about this and I will make your life a living-" I'm cut off by a stern  "Jennifer!" I rush out the door and into my room. I open a book and smooth down my hair, just as the door flies open. 
"Darling, there you are! I've been looking everywhere for you!" a syrupy sweet voice says. I take a deep breath and put on my princess act.
"Hello Mother! I was just enjoying some light poetry before dinner." I say.
"There are some people I'd like you to meet. Follow me, please." The tone of her voice would have caught flies, while her look would have frozen the hearts of grown men.
I put my book down, noticing for the first time it was upside down. I had been so close to not being caught!
I walk into my mother's study, seeing two very stately people and their flabby excuse of a 14 year old. I curtsy like I was taught and say "Your Highnesses, what a pleasure. My mother has spoken very highly of you. I am pleased to make your acquaintance." King Damon says "Oh, no dear, it is us who are pleased to meet you! You are beautiful and from what we have heard, will make a wonderful Queen one day."
Hopefully not anytime soon, I think. My mother has been in the best of health lately. She must get the glow she has from yelling at me for not being ladylike. Queen Theresa is speaking now. "We would like to introduce you to our handsome and intelligent son, Prince Samuel."
He bows awkwardly, his stomach making it harder for him. It takes all my willpower not to laugh. He struggles to stand up again. Maybe I was wrong before, calling it baby fat. I curtsy back, now on auto princess. I say what needs to be said and nod when needed. In my head, I am planning on what to say to my mother to convince her I had been in my rooms the entire time.
Then there is a knock at the door. I hear my mother say "Come in!"The servant comes in with food and drinks. No one notices, they just keep talking. I stare at him though. He looks very familiar. I go through the list of servants we have and he is not in my list.
Where have I seen him? It bothers me for a few seconds then it clicks. He was the one who killed my father. I see a flash of sliver. The servant casually moves closer to the door and throws knife. I leap forward, tackling the servant to the ground. Reaching over, I grab the tray that he had brought in and smash it over his head. He groans and slides to the ground. Then I hear sobbing and look over my shoulder. 
Queen Theresa is on the ground, the knife in her chest. Prince Samuel hasn't looked yet, but his father is crumpled on the ground, tears pouring down his face. I grab Samuel's hand and practically drag him out of the room. He startles from his shock. "No! I need to see her! I could help!" I keep pulling him along. He starts sobbing, full, body shaking, sobs.
I take him to his room and plop on the bed. "Why won't you let me see her, you fiend, you she-devil!" He yells.
I am trapped in my own head, seeing my father die, over and over. With out meaning to, I answer quietly. "That is something you can't live with. It haunts you and you will see it every night in your dreams. You will have some where you save her and you will be so happy-" I break off, swallowing the tears that threaten to come pouring out. "Then you wake up, and realize that she is still gone." I stop. Tears are now streaming silently down my face. Then I hear a small voice. "You sound like you know a lot about this. What happened?" 
I laugh harshly. "Like you care. My dad was murdered two years ago as I watched. There was nothing I could do." I stand up to leave. As I am heading out the door, I hear Prince Samuel say "I hope-" I slammed the door in his face. I sincerely hope I never see him again.

The author's comments:
The next one may take a while, so please bare with me if anyone reads this!

Thrust, stab, swipe, and victory! Ah, nothing like beating a man in the morning. I am in Giago for King Damen's wedding to Princess Gothel of Nithia. Who came up with these wacko names? Anyways, I arrived last night and this morning I came down to the practice fields to see how good their soldiers are. I am thirty in and none have beaten me yet. I have started to get dirty looks from the men standing around the fence that surrounds the field. I start to get cocky, laughing at the men I have beaten.

Then I hear cheering and yells of "Beat him! Beat him to a bloody pulp!" I should be worried, but the recent wins have made me feel invincible. I can't see his face from the helmet he wears, but he is tall and muscular. Then he speaks. "Have you been beating on my friends?" Woah, that's a deep voice.

I don't say anything. I just bow and have my sword and shield at ready. "Oh, you want to fight me?" he bellows. I keep quiet. He readies himself, bows, and the fight begins. I feint to the left, he stumbles. He thrust right and I block him. It goes on like that for an hour. Then I take the winning blow by tripping him in an act of desperation.

He falls. I put my sword at his throat, panting from exhaustion. "Impressive." he grunts. I bow and walk away, noticing I had been at the fields for three hours. My mother would be up soon, and if she knew I had been out somewhere..  she would kill me. I hear something behind me. 



I continue walking, knowing it was most likely the guy I had just beaten. "Who are you?" he sounds closer than I thought. I start jogging, knowing if I talked, he would know I was a girl. "HEY! I'M TALKING TO YOU!" uh oh. He's getting mad. I run faster, veering off into the forest. I dodge trees and leap over rocks, logs, and creeks. After give minutes, I slow and look around. No one in sight.I take my amour off, sighing in relief. That stuff is heavy! I go to wear I stashed my dress and change.

I walk out of the woods and sneak into my room, where Paige, who is now my lady-in-waiting/ best friend ever, is waiting impatiently. Her red hair, grey eyes, and freckles stand out, most likely due to her angry face. Then she see me. Paige is MAD.
"Jennifer Ferrumsdaughter, just where on this lovely Earth have you been on this fine morning?" she says angrily. "You know. Don't pretend you don't know." I say smiling. She is trying to be mad, but curiosity wins over. "Did you beat them?" she whispers. "Every single one that went up against me." I say nonchalantly. She smiles one more time, then rushes to fix my hair and pretty me up. 

I head down to breakfast, already mentally preparing myself for the ball tonight. Ugh. The dresses are far too big and very gaudy. I hate them, but then again, I don't really care for fashion, so who am I to judge. I awkwardly make small talk, which is not really my thing. Wow, what kind of princess am I? Ah, well. I enjoy what I do in secret, and that's all that really matters in life, isn't it?

There are far too many people here for my liking. At least the food is good! I plan on visiting the kitchens today when my mother isn't breathing down my neck. I look down the long table for people I might recognize. I see nothing due to my mother’s ornate hair piece blocking my view as she leans in to talk to.. Prince Jonathan..I think.

Prince Jonathan has liked Paige since he visited our kingdom two years ago. He is Prince Samuel’s older brother. If you saw the two together at the same time, which I have not, you would not be able to tell they were brothers. Prince Jonathan has brown hair, is tall and thin, and is endearingly awkward. He met Paige when fell from the top of the stairs after offering to help a maid with her large load of laundry. She helped him up and helped him to get to the healer who takes residence in our castle. They are really sweet together!

I am shaken from my memories when King Damen stands up. "I'm afraid Prince Samuel will not be joining us. He is helping his dog get over a broken leg. He will be joining us tonight at the ball and will be at the wedding tomorrow." I can almost hear the "or else" in his voice.

The whole time King Damen was talking, I was smiling and bitting my cheeks, barely suppress my laughter. I feel sorry for the poor girl who has to marry the fat wimpy prince. 

My mother looks at me like I am crazy. That's not good. "Why on Earth are you smiling like that?" Uh oh. "Oh..Erm... I like thinking about dogs." She looks at me skeptically, then smiles. Oh cr- "That's great dear! Seeing as you will be marrying the man who is caring for the dog!" Oh, Queen Marisa, you are a cruel person. 






I abruptly stand up. "May I be excused?" my voice cracks on the word excused. I don't wait for an answer, I just turn and head anywhere but next to my mother. I first head to my room, but then realize Paige would want to know why I'm so upset. My next best option is the forest.
 
I leave the walls of the castle, waving at the guards posted at the doors. I can’t help to and start running. This simply cannot be happening. My mother arranged for me to get married in the 16 hours since we got here last night. I can't run from my duty, no matter how hard I try. Sitting carefully on a log, I start feeling less sorry for myself and more angry.

I stand back up and go to where I had hidden my stuff last night. I grab my sword and start swinging and a tree. After a half an hour, I get the odd feeling that I am being watched. I slowly put down my sword and look around. As I am putting it back in place, I hear a crunch. I finish hiding it and spin around to face the thing making noise. 

A man is making his way through the woods. I don't think he has seen me yet. Oh wait, never mind! He sees me and shouts "You!" I take off running. I really don't want to know if he is actually looking for me. I dodge trees and branches, feeling de ja vu from this morning. He catches me and spins me around roughly. He practically spits in my face as he yells "How dare you run from me after a fight?" Then he seems to take in the fact that I  wearing a dress, not armor, and that I am a girl. He is still wearing his helmet but the look on his face must be priceless. "Oh! Please, forgive me! I thought you were someone else!" I pull out of his grasp. "It's ok," I say in princess mode. This guy cannot know it was me who whopped his butt. "It's my fault really, I shouldn't have been out here alone. Mother will have my head!" 

He does a double take. "P-princess Jenn-nifer? I did not know you had arrived!" He stutters.

"Yes, I came in after dinner last night. My horse had to have a shoe replaced." I reply, irritated that he was still talking to me. "I'm sorry, I must get back. I promised a friend help with something." I say. It's almost a lie but not quite. I plan on finding ways to get Paige and Jonathan together, whether they like it or not. 
He apologizes and lets me pass. Before I leave, I say curiously, "Who were you looking
for?" please not me, anyone but me. The knight looks confused, then he understands my question. "A stranger who beat my friends and me earlier at fighting, then ran off. " he says, almost sounding embarrassed to have been beaten. "To recruit him or teach him a lesson?" I ask innocently. "Both!" He says gruffly.
I laugh and wave goodbye. 

It is almost three in the afternoon when I get back. Paige sits me down to get ready for the ball. "You must look your best!" she reprimands me as I squirm. "Only if you come and dance with Jonathan!" I shoot back. "Jen, you know I can't! We are not th-" 

I cut her off. "You can. It's a masquerade ball. We are the same size, and you can wear heels to make up for the height difference!" Her eyes light up with hope. "Do you really think so?" Paige asks timidly. "Oh hon, I know so! That boy is head over heels for you!" I report. She blushes brightly. 

There's a knock at the door. “You can enter!” Paige says. Prince Jonathan sticks his head in. “I’m here! What do we need to do to get Paige to the ball?” Aw, he’s so excited. Paige turns bright red. She looks at me and whispers “How does he know about your plan already?”

I can’t hide a smile. “I may have stopped by his rooms on the way back here” I say slyly. “Jen!” she says, embarrassed. “Oh you’ll thank me for this later.’ I say confidently. I clear my throat. “Ok, here’s the plan.”

I walk down the stairs, a black mask hiding my eyes and forehead. The mask complements my turquoise dress nicely. Paige is behind me, arm in arm with Jonathan. I smile. They look amazing together. I get to the bottom and look behind me.

Everyone is staring at Paige and Jonathan. Paige’s green dress and white mask are of her own creation and are simply amazing. She took an old dress someone had thrown out and decorated it with white swirls that turn into flowers. Jonathan matches her color scheme. They are the only ones matching but they don’t seem to nootice. They just stare at each other and are oblivious to anyone else. Jonathan doesn’t trip over his feet once! It’s a miracle!

I am introduced to countless lords and ladies. My mother pawns me off to dance with strangers. By the fourth dance, I actually recognize someone.


"You were the one who stopped me in the woods!" I say, surprised to see him again. Now I can get a good look at his face and he is very good looking, if I do say so myself. Dark blond curly hair, bright blue eyes, a sharp jawline. Oh boy.

"Yes, I'm so sorry about that." He says. "Nah, it's fine. You were just doing your job." I reply nonchalantly. He has nice firm arms.. I shake myself out of the daze I'm in. "I never got your name! Who are you?" I say. 

He leans close to me and says "You know, you fiend, you she-devil." I feel faint. I grip his strong arms tighter so I don't fall. No freaking way. No it can't be. Can it? I take a closer look. Nothing hints at the boy I met four years ago. 

"Prince Brat?" the nick name slips out of my mouth. I instantly turn red. "Is that what you called me all these years?" he sounds tickled. "Among other things.." I mumble.


"Princess Jennifer, it's ok. I was a brat when you met me. And lazy, overweight, and rude. Very rude. Your statement about not being able to defend myself really hit me hard when I got back home. I immediately started training, running, and doing anything I could to whip myself into shape."

The next dance has started and I am in total shock. He takes his hand off my waist and shuts my mouth. 

"You know, I was beaten by a stranger this morning. It was the first time in over two years I was beaten. Any clue who it was?" he seems to be enjoying my silence.  

"I-I-I. Hey wait a minute! You knew all along and you didn't say a single thing?!" I get mad. This prince kept a straight face while I was running from him and I just can't believe him. "Well, I only knew it was you when I saw you chopping down that poor tree this morning. Why were you so mad?" He sounds genuinely curious.

Just then, King Damon makes an announcement. "Many of you know my son, Prince Jonathan. He told me this morning he would like to give the throne to his little brother, Prince Samuel. I accepted this request because a reluctant king is a bad king. On note of Prince Samuel, we congratulate him on his betrothal to Princess Jennifer!" There is thunderous applause to this statement. Prince Samuel drops my hand and takes a few steps back. His face would have be hilarious if it hadn't been exactly how mine had looked this morning.  His mouth doesn't seem to be working, just making shapes and sounds that resemble a kitten meowing. 
The entire court is looking at us, expecting something. It's becoming very obvious I will have to take control here. I step closer to Prince Samuel and put my arm through the crook of his elbow. With my other hand I wave. I smile and say "Thank you King Damon. I can assure you that I will do my best to be worthy of your son!"

Man, Prince fish mouth is still at it. I release his arm and curtsy, nudging his leg while I'm at it. He startles and bows a few seconds later. The court applauds and the music starts back up. 

I curtsy to Prince Samuel and ask "Shall we continue our discussion?" 
He grabs my wrist and practically drags me outside. Some drunk courtiers wolf whistle and I say under my breath a word that makes Prince Samuel drag me out quicker. We reach the maze in the courtyard and he leads to the center. I sing quietly, a tune that takes a mind of its own as it grows in melody. I am jerked to an abrupt stop in front of a statue of a mermaid.

“Will you stop singing?” he shouts. “I just started! I really think this song is going some where!” I protest, knowing it will make him mad. The opposite happens. He takes a deep breath and runs a hand through his hair. I can’t help but wonder what it feels like. No! Shake yourself out of it Jen! This man is most likely just like the boy you met four years ago! I say to myself. Isn’t he?
“Hello? Princess Jennifer? Are you awake? Did I bore you?” A large hand is waving in front of of my face. I startle, smacking the waving hand hard. 

"Ow! Jeez give me a break. Now, before you were off in dreamland, I was asking you about our arranged marriage, which I knew nothing about, but you obviously did." Prince Samuel says impatiently. 

"Well first thing first, now that we are to be married," I say in a sticky sweet  voice, "you should call me Jen. Everyone else does. And I only found out we were to be married this morning. Who knows how long our parents have been planing this?" I say. Prince Samuel looks at me, exasperated at my behavior. 

"Another thing," Prince Samuel says "why did John quite the throne? He would have been a great king!" I look at my feet, actually knowing the answer to this one. Jonathan had told Paige and me his plan to ask his father to give the throne to his brother. Jonathan really wanted to be with Paige and knew his father and position would stop him from that. I play with a pebble beneath my shoe and mumble something along the lines of "I don't know." 

"Jennifer tell me what you know!" He demands forcefully. "Nothing! Please, Prince Samuel, why would I know?"

"You might as well call me Sam." He says reluctantly. "Maybe that servant girl he's been hanging around knows something." 

My blood boils. The boy still thinks he is above everyone. "That 'servant' is my BEST FRIEND and lady in waiting. You what to know the truth? I don't think you'll like it!" I'm doing my best not to scream. Sam looks at me like I've gone crazy.

"Your brother is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. It still amazes me that you two are brothers. He fell in love with Paige and gave up his crown so he could marry her. THAT is true love. You may have heard of it, but I don't think you know what it means! You want to know something else? He wants to marry her within the week."

Sam is still looking at me like I sprouted another head or lost an eye. "I'd be luckier than the stars above to find a man who accepts me for who I am. But now I'm-" cut off by lips covering my own.

This is new. I stand in shock, my brain not functioning properly. Then my body responds on its own and kisses back. My hands run through his hair. It's every bit as soft as I thought it would be. He breaks away and smiles. It looks like he's going to say something sweet, the way his lips curl up.

"I guess you can be shut up after all." He laughs like he's the funniest guy in the world. I slap him, good and hard, and run off.

 I hear him laughing still, even as I break through the maze. I slow to a walk and go to my rooms. Once I get there, the tears start to fall. My first kiss was wonderful, followed quickly by humiliating. 
I change out of my ball gown and into my night gown. I am exhausted from the long day. I can't help but wonder what changed him from the time while we were dancing to now. 

Then it occurred to me. Four years have passed and I still don't know why Samuel had been in the forest. Why was he sneaking around my castle? I resolved to ask him next time I saw him. Prince Samuel needs to answer some questions and soon! 
 I climb into bed and with my mind still whirling, try and let sleep overtake me. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.