The Shadow | Teen Ink

The Shadow

March 6, 2015
By elorox101, Cambridge, Massachusetts
More by this author
elorox101, Cambridge, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Prologue...

I’m running. The shadow  following me starts to enlarge as i near the end of the alleyway, making my heart beat faster and faster, as the adrenaline keeps coursing through me, causing my aching legs to run even faster.  My hair whips me hard in the face, lashing me like a whip over and over again, the thin black strands blinding me momentarily.  As my eyes take in the oncoming wall of dark red brick, wondering how I’m going to get over it, the shadow suddenly stops.
“Sam . . .” a crackly voice echos from behind me, like a phone that keeps coming in and out of service.
I stop abruptly, taking what seems to be the first breath in many years.  However, I don’t reply because like all mothers say, “Never talk to strangers.”
“ I hope you enjoyed this, tutorial, of what will come in the future . . .”
I wake up trembling from head to toe, and I look down , I see a newly formed scar on my ankle.
‘What the ?’

Three Years Later

I have never forgotten the dream.  Following me like a mother follows her child, the dream corrupts every happy moment I can remember, even the memories before the dream existed.  Today will be different, today, I am going to be happy, today, i shall live not half a life, but two halves put together as one. I whisper this to myself, every day . 
Now who am I?  Hah! That’s a complicated definition you’re asking for, but complicated I will give you.  Lets start with the “Basics”!

Name: Nadia
Age:13
Appearance:
Eyes-Dark Brown (like mud)
Hair-Brown (Cut short so I dont have to deal with it)
Structure-Lithe (I play a lot of sports, but I guess you could say I have a figure)
Overall Appearance-I’ve gotten wolf whistles...
Hobbies: stuff (nothing in particular)
Personality:(this is what makes me who I am, and this is complicated)
So yeah, I hope you’re not too disappointed.
Just in case you were wondering , it’s a Sunday, in January.  My birthday is in five days, on the thirteenth of January, and I’m turning fourteen.  This year, that’s Friday the Thirteenth.  I mean, I totally don’t believe in that superstitious stuff, but considering how bleak my life has been after the dream, terrors seem to be a bit more realistic than ever, and , um, I’ll spare you my ever so depressing life. Okay, so i get that I’m not being  very interesting right now, but well lets see, should I speed this up a bit?
I’m assuming you said yes.  Yes? Okay. Fast forward to my birthday, skip the embarrassing spill I had in the cafeteria, it’s okay, I just ended up in the principal’s office for “purposely”  dumping food on this clique-y girl’s lap.
“Nadia! Get your lazy butt up ! It’s your birthday!” My mom yells from down stairs.
‘Mmmm”, I can smell the waffles, mah-your-teeth-wash-your-face thing, I rush down our narrow stairs, almost tripping on the way maybe I will get up early.
Once I’m finished with the whole falling down thing  (whoops) I stumble to reach my seat.
“Are these for me?”  I inhale deeply as my mom sets the plate of waffle smack in front of my face.
“Yeah, no duh.” my mom replies.
“Thanks.” I go on to stuff my face.
Some sort of smile creeps up to my mom’s face, so I sigh and say, “What’s so funny now?”
The tone of my voice instantly crushes that rare smile.  “I was trying to remember when you last were happy and not complaining.”  is my mom’s tight answer.
‘Huh well too bad’ I think devilishly.  “Gotta go to school”
The sigh that escaped my mom’s mouth is barely audible.
Feeling a bit pitiful, I turn around.  “Forgot to say ‘I love you’.”
There’s that smile again!
I’ll admit, I don’t have many friends, at all.  But I do have some, just not many.
“Hey Nadia! Ohmigosh, have you seen the new kid?” Gabbi runs up to me as I push open the heavy doors to the school.
‘Yawn, new kid, who cares?’ I roll my eyes.
“no he’s really weird.  By the way, you guys have the same birthdays” Gabbi persists.
That stops me in my tracks.  “I hope you enjoyed this, tutorial, of what will come, in the future . . . “
“Hello? Please don’t give me the silent treatment!” Gabbi waves her hand infront of my face.
I giggle, “Nah once was enough, for both of us!”
Laughing like the good ol’ times, we go our separate ways, aka, lockers.


Lunchtime...

‘Crap’ is my first thought as I see the lunch for today.
“Disgusting isn’t it?” a voice with a hint of a British accent says behind me.
“Shut up.”  I swing my head around, oops big mistake.
The new kid is mega-hot.  Like explode-you-when-he-smiles-hot.  (Although he is one year ahead of me. My school is eighth up till 12th grade)
“What’s your name? I haven’t met you yet. Just like the song. . .”
“You always so blunt?” my tart retort surprises me.
“Nope” he doesn’t seem fazed.

After the Bell. . .

“I saw you hooking up with the new boy.”  Gabbi grins cheekily, as we are walking home.
“No, uh uh.” I mumble
Spotting the flush creeping up my face, Gabbi goes for the kill.  “So what do you think?”
I groan in consent.  “Great hair.  I love how he has like, the haircut Justin Bieber used to have, but more, um, messy?  The eyes, killer blue, grey, green, I dunno.  Looks like he works out. 
“Oooh.”  Gabbi squeals.  “My turn!”,  Definitely agree with the hair.  It;s tossed just right so it’s cute but more mature than Justin’s ever was.  The eyes are so, mysterious and colorful.” my giggling interrupts her.  “I wonder where he works out.”  More giggling.  “And his nose, is perfect.  Not too small, not too big.”  that’s it, I’m laughing.  Now do you see why I’m friends with Gabbi?
Suddenly, Gabbi and I both feel a light tap on out shoulder.
“Oh, my, please don’t tell me you heard-”
“Glad to know my nose is attractive.” ‘new boy’ smirks.
“Uhh… Umm….”  Gabbi blushes, till she looks like a sunburned tomato.
I can’t help myself, I start hiccuping, then I’m giggling, then I’m laughing, then I can’t breath. So embarrassing!!  This is why I don’t hang out around boys.
Gabbi and new guy look at me having my outburst, but I can’t stop.
“Jeez, wouldn’t know she laughed so much based on our convo.” new buy murmurs, to himself I think, but I hear him anyway.
“Least I, I, CAN!” and then I’m chortling away again.
Gabbo looks mortified, and when she can’t take it anymore, she mutters a quick ‘Sorry’, grabs my arm, and drags me away.
“What the hell was that about?” Gabbi whispers angrily as she looks over her shoulder, checking to see if new boy was following.  He wasn’t
“Sorry.” I blush lightly.
“Aww, little Nadia was nervous!” Gabbi comments, seeing the blush rise.
“No!” I reply trying not to laugh.
“Yes. . .” and we both start giggling.

Later that Night. . . (and early in the morning)

“S***, s***, s***!" I hear myself shouting, as the shadow draws closer.
"Nadia stop running."
'Waaa??? It's the new boy? Huh?' Are the first thoughts running through my head when I hear his voice.
"It's coming true. Didn't you have that dream, when you were about ten? Telling you there was more to come?"
'He knows'
"Why does the freakin dream matter to you?"  I snap, still running as the shadow gets closer.
"I'm older than you, I know what's going to happen.

I sit up abruptly, as my eyes slowly become accustom to the light streaming through my window.
“Just a dream, crap, crap, just a DREAM.” I mutter to myself, trying (unsuccessfully) to wipe out the memories.
Sighing, I give up (for the moment) and get out of bed, intending to open my window, let some fresh air in.
“Shh.” a boy’s finger lightly covers my lips.
“The hell?” I ask quietly, my instinct telling me to start screaming and get the hell out of MY ROOM!
“I’m sorry, we don’t know each other very well, but my name is Sean.  I promise, I’m not here to scare you, I’m here to guide you.  To keep you alive.”
“Do you always sneak up and eavesdrop on people, and sit on their window waiting for them?” I say the first thing that comes to mind.
Sean laughs.  “Nah, but, well, you see, I, oh, never mind, you’ll know more later.” Zeke stumbles on his words, for the first time ever, (as far as I know)
“Nadia? You up?” my mom calls, and I hear her coming up the stairs.
I frantically look for a place for Sean to hide, when I realize he’s “disappeared”.
Damn! How does he DO that?
“Yeah mom! I’m up!” I reply before my mom gets suspicious.
“Wanna go out for breakfast?”
MORE bonding? “Sure, okay, just let me get ready.” and then I hear my mom’s footsteps going down the stairs.
“So, you and your mom don’t get along?”
“Holy s***! God, Sean, you NEED to stop doing that!” my heart pounds the CRAZY.
“Oops, sorry. I keep forgetting that you’re only a hopeless eighth grader who has no idea what I’m really here for.” Sean grins cheekily.
“Oh god. Fine. I’m a hopeless eighth grader who is WONDERING what the hell you’re here for.” I correct him.
“Fine, WONDERING!” Sean, flirts, with me?
“Okay, are you supposed to tell me what’s going in my dreams, or are you just here to flirt?”  I ask bravely
“Well, you’re direct, I’m here to, do both?” Sean laughs. “Nah, I’m mostly here to help you in your dreams...mostly”
“Freaky.”  I can’t help the shiver that runs down my spine.
“Look, are you feeling okay or is this all too much?” Sean steps closer, a worried look on his face.
“Stop that! Stop, i dunno, reading my mind!” I say sharply.
“Sorry. It’s a habit.”
“What?”
“Never mind!”  Please, I promise to tell you everything, but you have to promise that you won’t tell any of your friends about me, and you have to keep your dreams a secret.” Sean suddenly sounds urgent, way too urgent.
“Fine.  Now will you go?” I snap, my patience lost.
Sean looks amused.  “But of course.”
He disappears, again.
‘Sigh. . .’

After Breakfast. . .

I’ll admit, breakfast was good, no, it was great.  The food, I mean, not my mom.  Okay, I’m guessing you want to know about why I’m touchy with my mom, right?  Right. Okay, here goes, everything;  My dad left when I was ten.  That’s right, and its all because of my mom, in my opinion, at least.  I remember the argument really clearly. . .

Three years ago. . .

I wake up, trembling, then, I feel a sharp lance of pain sear through my ankle.  What the heck?  I pull down the covers, and stare at my left ankle.  I just, stare.  Branded on the skin is the number one.  “I hope you enjoyed this, tutorial, of what will come, in the future. . .” The dream rushes back to me in a flash.  Does this one have to do with how many years I’ll have nightmares?  How many dreams i will have? Wait, sorry, correction. How many nightmares?
“Nadia! Are you up?” my dad shouts, startling me for a few moments.
“Yeah, coming dad! But it’s Saturday!” I yell back.
“Come down sweetie!” my mom answers my protest.
Groaning, I hop out of bed and get changed, into a pair of skinny jeans, and a flowing pink shirt.
“Good morning.” I note my dad’s guarded tone.
“Everything okay?” I ask nervously.
“No. I need to go, for, a very important reason.”
“That he won’t tell us about .” My mom puts in angrily.
“I’m only ten, what do you want me to say?” I reply innocently.
“I just want you to understand-”
“I want you to see how your OWN father is-”
“Not NOW!” my dad yells.
“Guys? Please, DON’T FIGHT!” I butt in.
“Nadia, please, go to the library, NOW.” my mom says firmly.
Shrugging, I take my leave innocently, as the sounds of arguing erupt behind me.
All the way to the library, I think of only three things, the nightmare, the scar, and my dad...

Back to the present. . .

“Nadia?” my mom looks at me oddly.
“What? Oh sorry, daydreaming.” I say stiffly.
My mom looks away.
“I’m going over to Gabbi’s, thanks for breakfast.”
“Did you ask her already?” my mom asks sharply.
“Yeah” I lie.
“Well, okay, and you’re welcome.” My mom smiled tiredly.
Five minutes later, I’m calling Gabbi.
“Hey you! What up?” I imagine Gabbi smiling widely.
“Nothing, breakfast, mom, can I hang with you?”
Gabbi sighs,  she thinks my mom is awesome. “I really wish you would TRY to be nicer to her, she’s your MOM!” then, “But yeah, come on over, or we could go to the pool.”
“Sounds great, I’ll grab my suit and meet you there?”
“Terrific! Cya in ten!”
“This is the bomb.” Gabbi grins.
Almost no one is here, I mean, it IS wintertime, but normally more people are here. 
“Hey! Look who’s over there!” Gabbil suddenly points to one of the pools.
Turning to glance in her finger’s direction, I spot Sean with some guys from school.
“Oh, him. Gabbi, he’s a highschooler. . .”
“We’re only one year below him! And we’re super HAWT!” Gabbi grins and strikes a pose;
Well, she has a point. Although I’m all brown-eyed and brown-haired, Gabbi has an hourglass figure, bright green eyes, and shiny blond hair cut just below her shoulders, like, model-perfect, if she wanted to be a model.  Now me? Bell always says she wishes she had MY hair, and MY eyes, and MY lithe figure, but secretly, I know she’s just being an awesome friend when she tells me that stuff.  Sure, I’m not UGLY, but I’m just, average. 
“He’s coming over!” Gabbi squeals suddenly.
“What?” my head whips around
“Hello ladies.  Fancy seeing you here, you stalkers?” Sean grins confidently.
Gabbi looks down shyly.  “Yeah, it was Nadia’s idea.”
WHAT THE- “Seriously? You HAD to tell him?”  I grin sheepishly.
Gabbi deems taken aback.  “Well, DUH!”
“Hey, you mind saving that for later? My friends want to meet you.” Sean intervenes.
“Sure, be right there dude.”  Gabbi replies cooly.
Hah, the moment he walks away, Gabbi gives out a little yelp.
“Dude?” I tease.
“Hey! This could be IT! I finally meet my prince!” Gabbi giggles.
“Right. . . well lets go and meet him little princess!”
“So this is Nadia and her friend-”
“Gabbi.” Gabbi offers.
“Right, nice to meet you Gabbi.” one of his friends, Jake, I think, flashes Gabbi a smile.
“Totally!” she squeaks.
“Hey, calm it down, we’re not here to investigate ya.” Max grins cheekily.
“Yeah right.”  I add in dryly.’
Jake looks at me oddly.
“So how have you been sleeping?” Max questions.
What the hell? “What do you mean?” Gabbi scrunches up her nose.
“Sean told us, we have them too.” Max clarifies.
“What the hell? Is this a joke?” Gabbi puts her hands on her hips.
“Yup! Sorry, these guys suck at joking .” but Sean looks at the guys like he’s gonna kill them.
“Well awkward. . .”  Jake blushes. 
On that note, Gabbi launches into a story about how we had gone skateboarding once, and failed. . .
A bit hopeless she is, but she is my best friend, I love her like crazy. (Not THAT way you freaky person!)

That night. . .

Overall, when I look back, the pool was fun.  The guys took us out for ice cream later, and we bumped into sophomore, Hannah, the “popular” girl is what you’d call her, and man, she was glaring at us the whole time, on account of Jake and Max are both Juniors hanging with lowly eighth graders and a freshman, oh well.
“Thinking about earlier today?”
“MY GOD!  Sean, you HAVE to stop doing that!”  I whisper-yell.
Sean looks sheepish.  “Sorry, but i need to talk, now.”
“What was that about the dreams?”
‘You’re quick.”  Sean looks, admirably at me.
“Yeah, so what about it?” I ask bluntly.
“Jake and Max also have them, and they’ve stayed alive for three years, the fighting-for-your-life begins at thirteen.”  Sean looks at me darkly.
“Woah there, explain.  You just came into my life one day ago, remember?  And now you’re trying to tell me I might die from my dreams.”  I glance at him.
He’s dead serious. 
“Look, I know this will sound freaky, but have you ever thought of the afterlife?  About rules in the underworld?”
This has got to stop.
“Sean, do you have mental problems?”  I’m not even joking.
“No. Look, I KNOW you won’t listen to me, and I didn’t listen to Jake at first, but you HAVE to.”  Sean protests.
I sit down.
“There are two parts to this planet, life as we know it, and life once we die.  Don’t worry, the rest of the universe is normal, if you want to put it that way, it’s only our planet that has life, and only our planet that has well, another world.  There are three rulers to the other world.  Haze, Mist, and Echo.  Echo is the guy who is pretty much, an echo.  He isn’t a major ruler, Mist is the good guy, he decides when every  living thing dies, when, why, but not necessarily how.  Haze, is the bad one.  He commands his “soldiers”, or benders of darkness, to send nightmares to children born on the thirteenth of the winter months.  Why only winter?  Because those are the only months he has control over.  The summer and spring months belong to Mist, and the Fall months belong to Echo.  Not that it means much,  it just means which kids they can “control”.  No, it’s not like we’re not ourselves, but that doesn’t mean we can’t experience certain things, or feel certain way due to someone else.”  Sean stops for a moment, and looks at me.
“I’m fine,  Continue.”
“The rulers feed on spirits to survive, and honestly, if they perished, we would too, there would be too many spirits not taken care of.  The difference is, while Mist and Echo feed on older, or evil spirits, Haze feeds on newly killed, and innocent, spirits.  The dreams you’ve been having, you can die in them, and you’re in danger until you turn eighteen.  Once Mist learned what Haze was doing, he tried to stop him, but he could only make it so each child could have a guide, a mentor, because Haze has control over the winter months.  Oh yeah, the thirteen is another part of Mist’s work to minimize the amount of children, or should I say teens, that have experience running from death every night.  So, I’m your guide,  Jake is mine,  and Max’s guide, died.”
I stare at Sean.  He starts to look worried.
“Oh god, I’m sorry, did I tell you too much at once?  Is it too confusing?  I know it sounds like a book you would get at the library, but it’s all true!” Sean stammers.
I look down.  “No, it’s fine, crazily enough, I think I believe you.”
“Believe is a strong word” Sean says in a low voice. “I should probably give you time to think about this, alone”
Sean puts his hand on my shoulder, then walks away almost like it was staged.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.