The Hidden Angel | Teen Ink

The Hidden Angel

By Jesuslovers14, Pasco, Washington
Jesuslovers14, Pasco, Washington

"I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you himself through the loving mercy of Christ. You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News." Galatians 1:6

Author's note:

Very fun story to write.

One day Jimmy was chasing his friend around school. The door to the roof top was unlocked and Jimmy’s friend Billy, wasn’t hesitant to open the door and go to run away from Jimmy. His friend had run to the stairs to the roof top, and he ran after him hoping to catch him. Up the stairs to the roof top he found his friend standing on the edge of the roof because he had nowhere else to run. Laughing he said “okay, okay, I guess we’re even now.” Jimmy said with a smirk on his face,
“Yeah? We’ll see about that.” Jimmy ran to his friend to try and tag him, but before Jimmy could tag his friend, his friend moved out of the way and Jimmy flew off the roof top. Jimmy’s friend couldn’t scream or move. He was too shocked.
Jimmy’s guardian angel was watching a dog owner take her dog out for a walk. As she was watching the dog, she jumped up from shock waves going up her spine. She opened her eyes wide and immediately flashed to Jimmy. She saw Jimmy flying off the roof screaming “HELP!” She noticed that there was a parked car at the bottom, right where Jimmy was supposed to land. She flashed onto the hood of the car facing up and Jimmy fell down with his face down. She sees Jimmy about to crash into her and immediately puts up her safety force, and he fell right above her onto the force that she put up.
Jimmy stopped screaming. He was staring at his guardian angel face to face. Of course at the time he didn’t know that she was his guardian angel. So, after about 15 seconds, the safety force went away and Jimmy fell on top of the angel and they both fainted. Jimmy’s friend came running down the stairs and ran outside to see Jimmy and some girl fainted on the hood of a car.

Jimmy woke up at the hospital with a curtain on each side of him. He sat up and held his head to calm down his headache. He sat up all the way and hung his feet off the right side of the hospital bed. Trying to hold onto something to help regain his strength, enough to get up, he grabbed onto the curtain and attempted to stand up, but the curtain opened and he fell to the floor. “Aw man.” He said with embarrassment. He got up to see a girl staring at him. All of a sudden he forgot that he’s too weak and gained all his strength back. He got up and remembed seeing her face to face when he fell off the roof of the school. He began to ask questions. “Are you okay?”
The angel looks back and around herself, and screams, “You can see me?!”
Confused, Jimmy thought she had a concussion from the fall, and laughs. “Of course I can see you. Are you hurt anywhere?”
“How can you see me?”
“What?”
The doctor comes in. “I see you two are awake now.” He pulls out his chart and starts to ask questions to Jimmy and examinined him. “Does your head hurt?”
“Just a little, it hurts towards the front, like my forehead.”
“Okay. Any pain in the spine?”
“No, not that I know of.” And so on.
Jimmy’s grandma ran in screaming, “Baby, hunny, are you alright?!” and automatically changes her tone of voice. “How could you jump off a roof?! What were you thinking?! Are you crazy?!”
Jimmy rolled his eyes.
The doctor asked, “Do either one of you know this girl?”
Like twins they both replied together, “No, not at all.” The doctor turned to her and asks for her name. Angels don’t have human names so she sat there quietly. He decided to ask a set of new questions. “Where are you from?” She’s not going to say heaven; I mean no one will believe her, so she sat still. “Where are your parents?”
“I don’t have parents.” Jimmy’s grandma widened her eyes and blurts out,
“No parents? You poor thing?” And begins to pat the angel’s shoulder. “Doc, is it okay if we take her in? At least until she remembers where she’s from?”
“I don’t see why not.” And he flashed a smile. He then made a chart for the angel girl and wrote that she had a concussion and she needed time to remember events. But he needed a name. “How’s Sarah?” He asked.
“No, how about Suzi?” Grandma interrupted. The angel girl smiled and the doctor wrote down Suzi for the chart of the patient.
“But she will need to rest at the hospital for a few hours to recover her strength.” Grandma nodded with agreement and thanked the doctor.

After a long two hours of recovery in the hospital, Grandma and Jimmy took “Suzi” home with them. They started asking her questions like what she likes to eat and if she has any allergies, and school she went to. She answered every question with a nod of her head.
Grandma told Jimmy to take Suzi to school with him the following week. He rolled his eyes, not wanting to take her with him. The school that Jimmy went to had uniforms. He would have to order hers online and pick her own size and everything. Since Suzi was still new, the school principle would allow her to not wear a uniform, but still attend school. Until she gets her school uniform.
Suzi had an angel partner, he had the job of taking people to God’s judgment after they have died. He also had the job of keeping Suzi on track, you know, to make sure she was doing her job guarding. Suzi called her partner Senior, because he was older than her. It’s been two weeks now since Suzi was seen as a human. She and Jimmy were heading home and Jimmy was quiet the whole way back.
“Jimmy what’s wrong? You haven’t said anything the whole way home.” But Jimmy didn’t reply. He walked right into the house and went straight into his room. Suzi was confused, but thought he just needed some alone time.
She went into her room and dropped off her backpack and ran upstairs to the patio. There was a basket on the ground with wet clothes and she wanted to hang them up to dry. She started to hang them up one by one onto a rope that was hanging from one end to the other. She grabbed a wet shirt and was about to hang it up on the rope when all of a sudden, she sees Senior. “Senior! Where have you been? I don’t know what happened, but people can saw me, Senior. What’s going on?”
“You’ve turned into a human.”
“What? But how, Senior?” He looked at her with a look that told her that was a bit complicated.
“When you’re using the safety net, your assigned person can sometimes see you. That’s why you have to flash away quick enough for them not to notice you, but you didn’t. If they see you is one thing, but if they touch you it’s another. If they end up touching you while they can see you, then there is a chance that you can turn into a human. That’s what happened.” Senior explained with his eyes drowned in sorrow.
Suzi on the other hand, smiled bigger than ever and with excitement replied, “Really?” Senior looked at her with disappointment and flashed himself to what seemed to be back to heaven, but he was really watching her from the neighbor’s roof. He watched Suzi as she filled the patio with joyful dances as she was hanging up the wet clothes. He lowered his head, sighed, and flashed out.
Suzi quickly hung the rest of the clothes and ran downstairs. She ran to Jimmy’s room and knocked on his door. He didn’t answer so she knocked again. Jimmy opened the door with a heavy force and popped his head out with a big, “What do you want?!” look on his face. But what Jimmy didn’t notice was that he was two inches away from Suzi’s nose, and it seemed to be too late to move. Suzi was frozen from shock. She started blinking fast and came back to her normal self, cleared her throat and said, “nothing” and ran away. Jimmy saw Suzi run away and felt bad. He closed his door.
“Why? Why did you do that Jimbo?” He yelled at himself in the mirror. Feeling embarrassed, he jumped onto his bed and covered his head with his pillow.
Grams called Suzi over to her room. Suzi came and knocked quietly. “Yes, grandmother. You called me?”
“Yes. I wanted to know something. Do you like my Jimmy? More than a friend?” Suzi smiled and her cheeks turn bright pink, and she noded her head. “Sweety, I can see how exited you get when he’s around and how your eyes glow when he’s around you. You have my blessing to date.” Suzie looked at Grams and gives her a big smile and huged her.
After dinner, Suzi volunteered to clear the dishes from the table. Jimmy then offered to wash the dishes. Suzi and Grams look at him with amazement. “Well, alright, but….why?” Jimmy smiles at Grams and walked into the kitchen to start the dishes. Grams and Suzi watched him from a distance. After a few minutes, Grams got tired and left, but Suzi stayed and continued to watch Jimmy.
“Why don’t you stop watching me do the dishes?” He says with a smile on his face.
“Oh, I, uh.” Caught off guard, she walked to him and smiled. He turned and looks at her.
“Here, you want to dry?” and he hands her a wet dish. She nods. Jimmy handed her more dishes and she was drying them. They were almost done with the dishes and Jimmy hand Suzi and a wet cup and it slips. It shatters into little pieces and Suzi quickly tries to pick up the little pieces and cuts her finger. Jimmy leaves the dishes and tends to help Suzi with her glass cut. He gets a wet towel and places it where the blood is and tells her to hold it there. She grabs the wet towel and Jimmy runs, washes his hands, dries them, and brings a bandaide.  He kneeled down onto the floor to place the bandaide on Suzis’ cut.
She looked at his eyes and see how concentrated he was with her wound. “Ouch. That stings.” She thought to herself. ”So this is how pain feels?”
She asked, “So, what happened earlier? Did something happen? Were you upset?” He stole a quick glance at her and replied, “I was upset, but I’m all good now.” He gets up off the floor. “There you go. All better now.” Suzi smiled.
“Thanks.” Jimmy stared at her and Suzi’s smile went away. ”Is there something on my face?”
“No.” Jimmy smiled. Suzie started to walk off. “At school, I heard you were flirting with Todd. I wanted to let you know, I’m okay with it now.” And he walked off. Suzi turned around with her eyes opened wide and watched him leave into his room again.
The next day, they both walked to school together. They had the same classes except for one. Todd was Jimmy’s friend, and Todd also had that one class with Suzi that she didn’t have with Jimmy. This one all gossip girl named Alina was in that same class with Todd and Suzi. She really liked Jimmy, but saw how he always looked at Suzi with those gazing eyes that she wanted to be faced at her. Out of jealousy, Alina came up to Jimmy after class and told him lies about Todd and Suzi. One day, Jimmy had enough and was mad. He walked off and Alina smiled that evil smirk of hers.
Alina came up to Suzi. “You know. You should be more careful if I were you.” And she left. Suzi looked at Alina with a confused face.
Class was starting and Suzi ran into the class right before the tardy bell rang. Her desk was on the far side of the classroom while Jimmy’s desk was on the opposite side of the classroom. Jimmy looked at her, and she at him, for a quick second. He looked mad. His eyebrows were down, his face was serious, and then he looked away very fast. After class, Suzi came up to Jimmy. “What’s wrong?”
“Nothing, I’m fine.”
“Jimmy, nothing is going on with Todd.”
“How do I know that for sure?” He looked for a quick moment at her eyes and he walked away. Suzi ran up to him and kissed him on the cheek.
“Because I like you, not him.” Jimmy was speechless and a little embarrassed for being mad at her.
There was an awkward  silence on the way home. They were a block away from home and Jimmy was trying to get the guts to say something. The house was getting closer. Suzi ended up passing him and before they got to the front steps, Jimmy put his hand on her shoulder and she turned around. “About what you told me earlier, me too. I like you too. I’ve liked you for a while now.”
“You do?!” she smiled. Jimmy reached out his hand and offered it to Suzi. He was so nervous that he had his head down and was looking at his feet. She grabbed his hand. Jimmy looked up and was filled with so much joy it looked like his smile was wider than his face. They walk inside together holding hands, to find Grams in the walkway, smiling, when she saw them holding hands.
“Finally. What took you so long Jimbo?” His face turned red. Senior was watching from a distance. He was getting a little bit upset because he wanted Suzi to become an angel again, but she was falling in love with being human. He tries not to let Suzi see him upset because he doesn’t want her to worry.
Two months pass. Grams was sleeping, Jimmy and Suzi were on a date eating sushi. Suzi was holding her chopsticks and out of nowhere, they fall. Suzi looked at her right hand, and its invisible. “Suzi.”
“Huh?” She quickly looks away from her hand and hides it under the table, and fixes her eyes onto Jimmy.
“You dropped your chopsticks.”
“Oh, right.” She picks them up off the ground and places them onto the table. Jimmy noticed something was off, because Suzi seemed to be nervous for the rest of the date.
They got home and Jimmy went to wash up for bed. Suzi went to her room to change into her pajamas. She went to the bathroom door and noticed that Jimmy was still in the bathroom. She went to the couch to wait for him to come out. On the way to the couch, she began to breathe harder and the room became hot and dizzy. Before she reached the couch, she fainted.
Finally coming out of the bathroom, Jimmy yelled, “Suzi! I’m done now. You can go. Suzi!.” He walked to her room but she was not there. He began to walk around the house. “Suzi!?”
He finds her passed out on the floor. “Suzi! Suzi! Are you okay?! Can you hear me?!” She slightly opened her eyes, then closed them again. She woke up in the middle of the night with a towel on her forehead. About to take it off when she noticed Jimmy sleeping on the side of her bed holding her hand. She smiled.
Jimmy woke up, sees that she’s awake and gets up. ”You feeling any better? What happened?”
“Jimmy there’s something that I have to tell you. I’m an angel.”
Jimmy’s eyes opened wide in shock. “An angel?”
“Yes. I didn’t know how to tell you. I thought you weren’t going to believe me.”
“For a second I didn’t. But then I see flashes of you appearing and it suddenly clicked why you talk to yourself.” Suzi’s face turned bright pink. “How’d you end up here?”
“You saw me. You know, when you flew off the roof. I used my safety force on you and you saw me, but not just that, you touched me too, while I was using my safety force, making me turn into a human.”
“Then why are you fainting?”
“I don’t know.” She looked scared. “There’s something else I didn’t tell you.”
“What is it? I’m listening.” He said with a soft voice.
“When we were at dinner, the reason I dropped my chopsticks was because my hand went invisible for a little while. I don’t know why.” Jimmy stood up.
“I think I might be disappearing.”
“Disappearing?!” Just then, Senior flashes in.
“Senior.”
“Yes, you are disappearing Kawa.”
“Senior?” Jimmy was confused. He couldn’t see anyone. “Who are you talking to Suzi?”
“Senior, can you make yourself visible for Jimmy to see you?” After a few seconds Jimmy could see Senior.
“Woah.”
“Jimmy this was my partner before I turned into a human. I call him Senior. Oh, and my real name is Kawa. It means river in Japanese.”
“Nice to meet you Senior. Do you know how to fix Suzi, I mean, Kawa, from disappearing?”
“Yes, I do. True love.”
Jimmy and Kawa looked at each other. Jimmy quickly asked, “Do we have to kiss?” and his cheeks turned bright pink.
“No. Just an act of true love.”
Jimmy looked a bit disappointed.
Senior flashed out of the room after wishing them both good luck.
The next morning was a Saturday and that meant no school. “Kawa, do you want to go hang out at the park?” Jimmy asked while standing in front of her door still closed. “Kawa. Suzi?”
He opened the door and saw her laying on her bed, like a sleeping beauty. He walked over to her and stared trying to wake her up. But she wasn’t getting up. He began to shout her name out loud, telling her to wake up. But her eyes still didn’t open. “True love?” He thought to himelf. He leaned down to give her a kiss, then got up again. Her eyes stayed closed. He kissed her again, but still nothing. He got up and ran as fast as he could to Grams. He ran to her room. “Grams! Grams! Kawa isn’t waking up!” Grams got up as fast as she could.
“What do you mean she’s not waking up? And whose Kawa?”
“She told me yesterday that she was an angel,and she started disappearing. Grams I don’t want her to leave me.” Tears now rolling down his eyes. She grabbed him and hugs him tightly.
“So, wheres this Kawa girl you’re talking about?”
“It’s Suzi. She’s an angel and her real name is Kawa.” Jimmy was so scared that he forgot to tell Grams what Senior told him the night before about true love. Grams ran into Suzi’s room and tried to wake her up. After her attempts failed, she told Jimmy to bring her a wet towel and a bowl of water, Suzi had a high fever. Jimmy ran as fast as his feet could carry him. While he was gone, Grams’ face began to get all teary and a tear rolled down her cheek. She patted Suzi on her forehead and places a kiss on her forehead. Suzi’s eyes opened immediately.
“Grams?” Suzi asked. Joy dancing through Grams’ eyes.
“Hunny, you’re awake.” Jimmy came running into the room and dropped the bowl of water and the wet towel.
“True love?” He asked himself. A big smile filled his face and he ran and hugged Suzi. Senior flashed into the room.
“See I told you, true love.” Grams saw Senior. The only reason she could see him was,
“Bobby?” because it was her baby boy.
“Hello, mother.”
“Oh, my boy. Where have you been?”
“I help God now. I do good mother.” She ran to hug him and placed a kiss on his forehead and on both cheeks. Senior always carried around a black book. It allowed him to see who had died, the person he has to bring to God’s judgment. When that happens, the black book glows. “Well, mother, duty calls. I will see you soon.” He turned around to face Suzi. “I need to apologize. I was getting jealous that you would become a human and love it so much that you wouldn’t want to come back. If you did that, then I would never see you again. But I was wrong. You have the best family right here, and the best protection too. Please forgive me.” Suzi hugged him and smiled.
“Apology accepted.” Jimmy seemed to not be paying too much attention, because before Senior was going to flash back out, Jimmy interrupted.
“Hey. Doesn’t that mean that you’re my uncle?”
“Yes. It does. And you have to be a good boy if you want to keep Kawa. Okay?” and he winked at Jimmy. Jimmy nodded with agreement. “I’ll be stopping by more often if that okay with all of you.”
“Of course it’s okay with us.” Said Grams. “Stop by anytime you’d like, Bobby.” And he flashed out. Jimmy came up behind Kawa, and she turned around. He sneaked a kiss on her cheek and his face got all red. She smiled and kissed him on the lips.

This book has 1 comment.

dolphingirl67, Tea SD, South Dakota
this sounds interesting