The Fallen | Teen Ink

The Fallen

December 14, 2014
By Jordyn Sosa BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
More by this author
Jordyn Sosa BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I was inspired mostly by the television series called "The Walking Dead".

The last thing I saw as I lay on the ground in a puddle of my own blood, was Finn running towards me. As darkness begins to engulf me, I hear the gunshot and I see his body go limp. As he falls to the ground, I begin to fall into a deep sleep.
I wake to the sound of screams coming from another room. I try to sit up but I can feel a strap around my stomach, hands, and ankles, binding me to the metal table. I feel a sharp pain go up my side. I look and notice a large bandage that is covered in my blood. The sight of it makes me unsteady and I start to black out again when I hear another scream. Before, I had thought that it was just in my head, but I now realize that it is very real. “ I have to get out of this room.” I say to myself.
I look around the room, trying to find something that I could use to get out of the binds and most importantly, out of this room. There are large chains hanging from the ceiling and a type of red glow to the room. I see a sink and next to it, a tray that had some syringes, a small pair of scissors, some gloves, and a couple of bloody knives. There was a door that i guessed led outside to a hallway. There was a white glow coming in through the crevices near the door. But beside the door, I saw no other way out.
I start to wiggle my hand out of the strap binding me to the table and manage to get it free. I quickly undo the other straps and soon enough I am on the floor next to the metal table. I look around once more to try and see if there is any other exit, but there is nothing. Not even a window. I manage to stand on my feet and slowly make my way to the door. There is a small window in the middle of the door that is just short enough for me to see out of. I was right about there being a hallway but I notice that there aren't any people. I slowly open the door and step out. There is no one. I start to make my way down the hallway when it occurs to me that the facility that I am in is a hospital. But as I look around, I don't see any doctors or nurses. Not even patients. As soon as the thought of patients popped into my head, I hear the screaming again. I start to run towards it and as the screams get louder, so do the voices that I could hear. I finally reach a dark blue door with a small window on it. I stand at the door debating on whether or not to look through the window. I was afraid of what i might see on the other side. I start to walk away when I hear the voices again followed by another scream. I run to the door and look through the window. I can see a girl lying on a metal table like the one I was on. She looks very pale and her clothes look extremely worn down and soaked with blood. Then I see three doctors come around and start talking and examining her.. Just then I accidently hit the door knob making a loud noise. The doctors quickly finish what they were doing a and start heading for the door. I quickly run around the corner and hide in another hallway. The doctors walk past me and into another room. Without thinking I run into the room they were previously in to get a better look at the girl. She was very pale and looked dehydrated. She had a bandage on her arm and on her side. She had a lot of cuts and bruises all over her face and body. I noticed that she had some type of marking on her arm. I bent down to get a closer look. They looked as if they were in another language, like chinese or japanese. I hear a noise from the hallway and am about to run out when the girl grabs my wrist. She is strong for a person who has lost a lot of blood. I look at her as she tries to say something. “ He- Hel- Help me” she says faintly. At the moment I knew I couldn't leave her or else she would surely die. I quickly take off the binds and she falls to the ground. I pick her up placing my arm on her waist.
We quietly slip out of the room and start to make our way down the hallway. We come upon two hallways. “Do you know which way is the exit?” I ask her. The girl slowly lifts up her finger and points to the left one, but before we can take another step, I hear someone yell “ STOP!”. We start shuffling faster but I know that if we were going to make it out together, I would have to find a way for the girl to go faster. Just then a nurse comes out of a room with a wheelchair. I push the nurse out of the way and place the girl in the wheelchair. I can hear the doctors coming closer yelling “Stop those girls! Stop them!” I start running , pushing the wheelchair, following the direction of the girl's finger.
After about 20 minutes of running, I can finally see the exit. But s I get closer to the doors, I can see the creepers outside, walking around like rotting corpses. I realize that I will need some type of weapon in order to break through the small hoard.
I stop in front of the doors and look around, but I don't see anything. I quickly turn to the girl, “ Where is the artillery room?” She doesn't answer. She just sits there with her head hanging. I grab her face and lift her head up, “ WHERE IS IT?!” I scream. She slowly opens her eyes and points to a closet door. I sprint over to the door and open it. there are a few guns and some ammo. I grab a small handgun, a holster with a pistol in it and two full boxes of ammo. As I go to leave the room, I see a crossbow and arrows. I grab them and run back to the girl.
I prepare to run out. I can see a car straight ahead that is only a couple yards away. f we could just make it to the car, we would be able to get out of here. I can hear the doctors and nurses coming, and and as they come around the corner, I run out the door.
  As we get closer to the car more and more creepers start to come out. When we reach the car I through the girl inside along with the guns and ammo and jump into the front seat. I pray to God as I try to start the car. I can see some of the nurses cutting through the hoard. Panic starts to take over when all of a sudden the engine starts with a loud roar and we go speeding off. We are finally free.
  After about an hour of driving, I figure that we are far enough away from that hell hospital, for us to pull over and rest for awhile, so I pull over and turn the car off. The sun is beginning to set on the horizon as I start to close my eyes. Awhile later I wake to a creeper bumping its head at my window. I realize that it is morning and I haven't heard the girl say anything.
I jump into the back seat and to look at her wounds and make sure she is still alive. She is barely breathing and is in desperate need of medical attention. I grab my crossbow and kill the creeper by the car as I begin to rummage through the trunk of the car. I find a first aid kit, some water, food, and gas for the car. The car seemed as though it was ready for anyone to get in it a leave.
I quickly Patch up the girl and help her eat and drink something before she thanks me and falls back to sleep.  I manage to find a map and figure out where we are. I knew that the girl wasn't going to last much longer if I didn't get her the proper medicine and stitches.
We get back on  the road and I figured that it would only take us about two hours to get back to Finn and the others. As soon as I thought about Finn, I remembered the arguement we had and the gunshot. I prayed that he was alright and that they were safe.
After about two and a half hours of driving we finally make it to the compound, but there is something wrong. The two big gates that are usually closed are now wide open. The small city looks as if it were abandoned. As we drive through, I see a few creepers. I drive to the hospital and me and the girl shuffle inside. We go to my old room on the fifth floor. I gently lay the girl down on the bed and leave to go find some medicine, stitches, and new bandages.
When I come back, I see that the girl is gone. I quickly scan the room and find her in the bathroom next to the running sink.I help her up and lay her back in the bed. I had managed to find an iv bag and I hook her up to it.
When I am done with her, I change my focus to my own wounds. I slowly stitch them and bandage them up before falling asleep in a chair. I am soon awakened by the sound of banging and gun shots. I jump up and run to the window to see what is going on. I can see a young man run into the hospital with a hoard of creepers right behind him. The young man locks the doors, keeping the creepers out. I quickly run and barricade the door to the room to make sure that nothing gets into the room.
Just then the girl wakes up and I find myself explaining what is going on. She looks to be doing a lot better and for the first time since I woke up, we eat and laugh. She tells me her story and how she came to be in that hospital and all the horrible things they did to her. She tells me that her name is Grace and that she had been separated from her group like I was. Just then there is a knock at the door. We are frozen and dare not talk, afraid that the intruder would hear us. I know that it is that boy I saw run into the building. “Hey I know youre in there. Come out!” he says. “No! We have no idea who you are or what your intentions are.” I say. But then I realize I know who is standing on the other side of the door. I go to open the door. “What the hell are you doing says Grace, but I just ignore her and open the door. I start to cry as i run into David’s arms, relieved that I have finally found someone that could help us.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.