The Journey | Teen Ink

The Journey

November 2, 2014
By Andre Chu, Cupertino, California
More by this author
Andre Chu, Cupertino, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I did this story in my Language Arts class for about 2 weeks.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

Hi! my name is Joe and the story that I’m going to tell you changed my life forever. It all started in the summer of 2029. In an unknown city with a warm climate all year long that looked like Times Square that was as big as downtown San Jose. Now the world that I knew was so developed (because we created things like flying cars and teleportation mechanisms), that we actually wanted less technology (which sounds insane) because the world was controlled by the president because he saw everything, even what you did in your house (which is really creepy). And because we had so much technology, the crime rate went almost to 0%. Because we could tell what the criminals were thinking through hi-tech machines and counter every move they would make. So soon enough no one tried to do anything illegal.  Now that you have a picture of my world, I begin the story. I’m a 6th grader who is like any ordinary kid you would see at your school. I went to school everyday and it was pretty cool because we had everything from roller coasters to a food court which had any food you could dream off. Even though my life might seem amazing to you, it really wasn’t. Because we were not free to do whatever we wanted to do.  Everything we did was what the leaders told us and if we didn’t follow it, we would be punished (sometimes we would have no lunch for a week or we have school on weekends for the rest of the month)

So that night I packed my backpack with food, a compact bed, water generator (a new invention that brings all the water nearby to you) , and my valuables. I was set to get out of the city you needed a key to go through the walls, and the security didn’t help either. So I put on a mask, dark clothes and made a plan to get into the president’s tower (where the key was). When I got close I accidentally went into the brain wash system that makes you forget everything. Thankfully, I remembered just before to eat my medicine which neutralizes the effect of the system. When I snuck in I saw the world map and it showed the city was actually somewhere of the coast of California, and south west of Hawaii where no other people on the planet knew about. I was staring in awe when I heard a gunshot and glass shattering. I quickly took a picture and saw people run in. I was scared, but I kept my composure and crawled to a wall. Then I amazingly went through the wall and saw everyone in the city. I asked them, “What are you guys doing here?” Then people who looked just like my parents said, “we are the real people from the city, but when we found out the location of the city and tried to get out, the president locked us in here and put clones of us in the city.” Then I found out why the world seemed so perfect, but empty. Then I heard a loud “boom!” and people in suits came in. I quickly hid and identified the one in the front as the president. Immediately I thought “why didn’t I hack into the server and turn off security?” While the others distracted them, my real parents took me to the room that had the key. When I got in, I saw  a lot  guards come in and take my parents. I hid in the air vent behind the presidents desk. I crawled farther in and then suddenly I fell. Then I was outside on an old thrown away mattress and the key to the city. (That is why to this very day, I call myself, “the luckiest person in the world”) I quickly unlocked the gate and ran through. Then I heard a loud “beeee!” and I didn’t remember anything after that.

When I woke up, I saw a family that explained that they also escaped and that I went through the brain wash machine. I quickly took my medicine and I knew everything again. Then I heard the gates open and I quickly went into their hiding spot, which was in a cave. I asked them, “what will we do?” and they said, “don’t worry we have a tv if you want to watch?”. I accepted the offer and I watched basketball while they napped. The next day, while they were asleep I took my belongings and went to the ocean. While I looked around I saw an abandoned boat on the beach. I got in looking back at the city one last time and began my journey across the Pacific Ocean. As I sailed, I looked at my compass to make sure I was going the right way. Hours passed and I just sat there until I found out that my seat could come off. I couldn’t believe my luck that I found some canned food, a fishing rod, and a shelter that I could hang over the ship. The next day, I spent the day fishing until I heard a crack and saw water coming onto the ship. I couldn’t believe that my ship was sinking in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I quickly got into the inflatable life raft and took all my belongings and jumped off. I watched as the ship sunk into the water and saw what possibly was my only hope, destroyed. Suddenly, I felt strong wind and I saw giant waves. I quickly took cover and watched as waves flooded the raft. After a long and scary ride, it was over but I only could save one can of food and my fishing rod. It felt like Jurassic Park but with tons of drops so I just closed my eyes and screamed until it was over. I fished for the rest of the day until I finally concluded that there was nothing to fish for in the area. I took a nap and when I woke up, I was surrounded by schools of fish and the water. When the fish all jumped out of the water in the sunset, it was one of the best sights that I ever had. I quickly fished out all the fish that could fit in the raft and had one of the best dinners that I ever had. I thought to myself, if I ever survive this mess, I got to write a story about it! As the days passed by, I just thought about all the things that were in my life and even though how big of a mess I was in right now, it was the best time of my life. Every night I gazed at the stars and constellation and wondered if anyone could see me from above.

Soon, I saw shore and I paddled as fast as my tired out arms could. When I got there I saw a tribe of natives. They thought I was an outsider trying to invade their land so I had to fight them off so I wouldn’t be sacrificed to their god alive. When their leader came I quickly explained everything and soon enough told me to go with a group of his friends to California. During the long car ride, I got to see things that I never dreamed of seeing like the Grand Canyon, Pier 39, and Hollywood. The new world to me now makes me see how empty that old life was.  When I got there I spent a few months at the homeless shelter until a very nice man introduced himself and let me stay at his house until I could find a job. Soon I got a job as the equipment manager of the Golden State Warriors. They even let me be the ball boy at the games. At one game, I couldn’t believe my luck when I got to meet Klay Thompson, my favorite player. I always saw him on tv, but it was my first time meeting him in person. I got a picture with him and got an autograph. To this day it is one of the things I frame in my house. I just lived life like a normal person after, I got a family, a decent job, and a house.

As the years passed by I quickly forgot about my journey until one night when I got on my bed, millions of thoughts buzzed around and the one thing I remembered was that day on the boat when I said I would publish a book about that adventure. I spent a few years writing it and when I got it published.

Then a few months after, when I was sleeping I heard a loud “BOOM”. I thought, “it can’t be the old president again?!”. I heard a person and he said,“I know you’re probably scared right now but if you tell me the truth, you will be unharmed!” He explained that he was an FBI agent and he had heard rumors about an island off the coast that was involved in making nuclear weapons. I looked through my phone and found a picture of it. I thought, “I knew it would come in handy some day!”. He found the coordinates and I went there via. helicopter with other people from the government. When we got there, we immediately were challenged by people with guns and we followed their directions. When we went into the building we could see that there was many nuclear things that were being worked on. The place changed a lot since I left about 5 years ago. Then when we went by the jail,  I saw my parents and friends. When we were led to a room near the cells, I whispered to the agent, “on the way out, can we help out my parents and friends?” At first I heard no response but then he knocked out the guard took the keys unlocked the cells and weapon rooms and we took cover. It felt like a scene from an action movie when I saw the president and a whole army come out with guns. We knew we had to move fast so we shot at them. When we saw that they were confused, we took action and soon enough, there was only the president and a few guards left. The FBI agent who later told me his name was Rick took action and distracted the president which let us take control of the guards. When we were done with them, we tied the presiden up and went back to California. The government later got rid of the nuclears and I was rewarded with a nice big house and lots of money. I took trip with my family and friends and when I was there I saw all the nice views, from Upper Yosemite Falls crystal clear water flowing down to Half Domes awesome view from the top. I was so happy when I finished the climb because I trained ever since I got back to climb it. I ended the trip relaxing in my camping trip enjoying myself reflecting on the best moments of my life so far.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.