Scarlett of the Burning Blades | Teen Ink

Scarlett of the Burning Blades

September 3, 2014
By klace SILVER, lambertville, Michigan
More by this author
klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“People ask me when I start one of these projects, what is your theme? I haven’t the faintest idea. That’s why you’re writing the book, it seems to me, to find out. To me, it’s a journey. It’s an adventure. It’s traveling in a country you’ve never been in and everything is going to be new, and because of that, vivid. And don’t make up your mind too soon. Let it be an experience.” —David McCullough


Author's note:

I love writing and someday wish to be a published writer. 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

The girl stood in front of the old building looking up at the sign that read “Blue Dragon.” Slowly she pushed the metal gate open and took her first step into the greatest adventure.

The guild hall was well light and people partied all around, they were cheerful and loud. Her blue eyes watched them carefully as she made her way towards the bar. Her dark brown hair fell to her waist and covered the backpack she carried over her shoulder. Her right hand gripped her left hip.

Behind the bar stood a young girl in her twenties with silver hair her name Mia. Mia looked up as she came to a stop asking, “Can I help you?” The room grew silent and many looked towards the girls. Her blue eyes grew weak and time slowed as she fell towards the floor. Blood stained her right hand. Mia gasped leaping the bar, and kneeling beside her. “Someone go get Master Jayce!”

            Her eyes flickered open she lay in a small bed in the upstairs of the guild hall. Beside the bed sat Mia and an elder man, Jayce Marko, the guild master of Blue Dragon.  Jayce looked at the girl smiling, “Hello child, you are safe now.” 

Mia grinned, “Can you tell us your name?”

Blinking several times she mumbled, “Carter… Carter Lace.”

Jayce asked, “Do you know where you are?” Carter slowly sat up. White bandage wrapped around her stomach.

“No,” Carter stated, “Where am I?”

Mia looked at the master as he said, “You are above the Blue Dragon Guild hall.”

Her eyes widened and she gasped, “I’m here?”

Jayce looked at Mia and then asked Carter, “You were looking for the guild?”

Carter sighed in relief, “Finally, I’ve found you.” She lay back in the bed and covered her eyes, “Two years I’ve been traveling to make it here, to become a strong enough mage to be a member of this guild.”

Jayce gripped Carter’s hand, “What are you talking about?”

Mia raised her eyebrow, “What happened to you?”

Carter chuckled, before flinching in pain, “I was on a quest, when a dark mage attacked me. He came out of nowhere. It was a simple quest, to pick some apples in the forest to the west of here. He leaped out from behind the tree’s stabbing me before I even had time to react. Bastard stole my swords.”

“What are you even doing in this area?” Jayce asked.

She looked at him, “Jayce Marko right?” She asked. He nodded his head and she asked, “I came here to join your guild.”

Jayce sighed, “Why?”

The tear rolled down her cheek, “To have a family.”

He smiled softly, “Then welcome home, Child. Welcome home.”

Jayce stood on the bar top the room grew silent as the whistle escaped his lips. “My Children,” He yelled, “Today, we say hello to our newest member, be sure to give her a blue dragon welcome for she is family. Carter Lace, come meet the family!”

She walked into the room and stood still as they screamed, throwing their glasses into the air, “Carter!” Mia stood beside her smiling as Carter looked around at all the people eager to meet her.

Layla, a small girl, around eighteen ran up to Carter gripping her hand, “I’m Layla, welcome to our guild.” She closed her eyes and smiled brightly, “Come meet everyone.”

As Layla dragged Carter towards the group worried Mia yelled, “Be careful with her, she’s hurt!”

As she sat down at the table they people introduced themselves. The water mage named Rule Gray, the swordsman Lea Vive with hair red as fire, the genius Layla Levi, and many more.  It didn’t take long for he to become one of them, they welcomed her with open arms. They couldn’t wait to get to know her as they questioned her. At first she was resistant to answer, having been alone all of her life.

“I’m a dragon mage.” She stated nervously, answering Rule’s question.

The table grew silent and Lea yelled, “Like Ace!” Rule rolled his eyes and Layla chuckled.

“Yeah but this girl has a brain.” Rule groaned, “Ace is a fool.”

Layla smiled at Carter, “Ace, it one of our strongest mages, right now he is out on a mission but when you meet him I’m sure you two will get along swell!”

Mia walked up to the table and sat down, “What are you guys talking about?”

“Ace.” Lea stated.

Mia laughed, “Oh, really, how did he come up in this conversation?”

Rule answered, “Carter is a Dragon mage too.”

Surprised Mia looked at her, “Really, there is only like four in existence. How rare, and our guild now has two!”

 Together they stayed up and talked for hours, about their backstories. Rule was abandoned on the front steps of the guild hall when he was four, Lea had been a slave as a child and when she was eight escaped finding herself here at the guild where Master Jayce immediately took them.  Layla’s parents had been members of the guild and died on a quest, leaving her to be with the guild. Mia and her two brothers were orphans and starving when Master Jayce found them. Everyone in the guild had a story like this, their savior the guild and the man kind enough to take in children with no way to pay their way.  When asked about her past Carter shut down looking at her hands, “It is something I don’t like talking about.” She mumbled, “So if you don’t mind, I wouldn’t like to share it.”

Carter picked her head up and smiled, “I loved getting to know you guys but I think it’s time for me to get some rest.”

Layla looked up at the clock, “Oh! It’s late I should be heading home, I will see you all tomorrow.”

Lea and Rule stood up, “We should be leaving to.” Rule stated knowing Lea had a quest to go on tomorrow. “Welcome Carter.” He stated.

The guild hall was empty except for Carter and Mia. “I’m going to lock up.” Mia stated, “You can head up stairs and stay there for the night, we will find you a place to live tomorrow okay.” The smile crossed her face as she spoke to Carter.

Rule rushed into the crowded guild hall. Lea stood in the crowd her hand balled into a fist and her teeth clenched. Layla covered her mouth as Master Jayce stood before them holding onto Mia’s hand She had been beaten and I was clear who had done it. In her blood on the wall was the symbol of a guild a town over called Lagoon. Mia was conscious as the doctor took a look at her injuries. “Mia don’t talk.” Master stated, as she tried to say something to him.

“Master,” She cried, “They took Carter.”

“Who’s Carter?” The deep voice asked. Rule turned around to see him standing in the door. His black hair a mess on his head and anger in his dark grey eyes, the man asked again, “Who is Carter?”

“Ace,” Rule gasped, “Your back.”

“Master!” He yelled. Jayce looked up at him rage in both their eyes. “Who is Carter?”

Layla stated, “She joined the guild yesterday.”

He balled his hand into a fist, “That means she’s one of us.” He threw his bag onto the table and growled, “I’ll go get her.”

“I’m coming to!” Lea yelled.

Rule nodded his head, “Same.”

“I am going to!” Layla stated.

“This means war.” Jayce growled, “We all go. But Lea, stay here and protect Mia.”

Lea sighed and nodded her head.

            As the guild moved out Ace looked at Rule, “Tell me, what does this Carter girl look like?” he asked.

Rule raised an eyebrow, “Why?”

Clenching his teeth he stated, “While you guys attack lagoon, I am going to go find her and make sure she is safe.”

***

            Carter sat against the wall, her hands chained behind her back. Lagoon Master Goran stood before her, a scary man, with eyes as black as night. “If you cooperate, you won’t get hurt.” He stated.

“What do you want?” She hissed.

He smiled and grabbed ahold of her chin, “Well, for a debutant miss Scarlett you are very rude,”

Her eyes wide she asked, “How do you know who I am?”

“How could I not know who Carter Lace Scarlett is? Daughter of a nobleman blessed with dragon magic, beautiful, and of course a runaway. Your father has offered a large reward to anyone who brings his darling daughter home.”

“I WONT GO BACK!” She screamed before latching her teeth onto his arm.

Slap! His hand came down across her face, his ring left a cut.  “Stupid girl, you have no choice. Who is going to come save you? The guild blue dragon is weak, and you are unimportant to them.”

“Master,” A man yelled stepping into the cell. “We are under attack.”

Carter gasped her eyes wide, did they really come for her she wondered. Goran ran for the door growling, “Don’t get your hopes up.” 

Carter lay on the floor of the cell she struggled against the chain cuffs on her hands. She looked up as a commotion came from the other side of the door. The door opened and the man stepped in, he looked to be around nineteen the same age as Carter.

He looked down at her and knelt beside her, the soft smile crossed his face, “You must be Carter.”

“Who are you?” She asked as he unlocked the cuffs.

He knee’s buckled beneath her as she tried to stand. He lifted her off the ground, “My name is Ace.” He stated, “Are you alright?”

Carter was silent as he touched the cut of her face. He clenched his teeth, “Can you stand?” He growled.

Her knees wobbled beneath her as Ace set her down. “Here, get on my back.” He ordered. “I am going to get you out of here.”

“Ace,” She asked as she held onto him, “Why are you here?”

She could see him smile, “You don’t get it. You are one of us now, No one hurts our family.”

Carter rested her head on Ace’s shoulder, “Thank you.” She mumbled.

***

Ace carried Cater through the guild hall doors. Everyone had just gotten back from attacking Lagoon many were hurt, but only scratches and bruises. “Carter!” Layla screamed as she saw the two.

Master Jayce stood beside Mia, who sat in a chair. Her arm had been broken and she had stitches on her face.

Ace set Carter down as she stumbled towards Mia she began to tremble, “This is all my fault.” She cried.

Ace stood back as she fell to her knees, “They were after me, it’s my fault you are hurt.” The tears streamed down her face. The guild hall was silent.

Mia’s hand gripped Carters face. “Shush, can you not see? We all have secrets we don’t expect you to tell us everything on the first day. Carter, trust us, we are here for you. You don’t have to carry all this weight on your own.”

“I don’t want to leave this guild!” She stated.

Ace said, “You don’t have to. What makes you think you’ll have to leave?”

Carter looked at her hands, “My name is Carter Lace Scarlett, and I am the daughter of Sidney Scarlett. I ran away from home two years ago, and he wants me back.”

Jayce gasped, “You are Elie’s daughter.”

Carter’s eyes softened, “You knew my mother?” 

Jayce nodded his head, “She was a member of this guild when she was young. I haven’t seen her in ages. How is she?”

“She passed when I was six.” Carter stated.

Jayce flinched, “I did not know that, I am sorry for your loss.”

She held her arms close to her chest, “Ever sense then, father changed.”

“I’ve heard stories about him,” Jayce stated, “You are safe here. We are your family understood.”

Carter looked up at him shocked. “Thank you.”

Mia smiled, “Master, Do you think he would like to meet her?”

Carter looked at her confused. Jayce smiled, “I’ll call him home at once.”

Jayce explained to Carter, “Beside myself, this man is the strongest man in the guild, his name is Gus, I do believe he will want to meet you. He is on his way back to the guild as we speak. He just got back from a quest and was resting.”

The doors of the guild hall swung open and he ran in. He was large and very muscular, his clothing was dark and he wore a cloak. “Where is she?” He yelled.

Carter turned to look at him. “Who Is that?” She asked.

Jayce smiled, “Your Uncle Gus.”

Carter locked eyes with him and he froze. He froze in the middle of the room. “She looks like Elie.” He gasped tears in his eyes.

Carter stood still as he moved closer. He extended his arm drawing it back, “C-can I hug you?”

Before she had time to respond she was in his arms tight against his chest. “My baby sister, what a beautiful child you’ve had.” He mumbled.

He looked into her eyes, “My sister stopped writing me many years ago, I have one question for you, what happened to her?”

“She was taken when the epidemic swept the nation.” Carter stated.

Gus smiled at her and nodded his head, “I tried to visit you, but your father said he didn’t want filth like me around his daughter.”

Carter frowned, “I am sorry.”

“Why exactly did you run away?” He asked.

Carter looked up at him and noticed everyone had looked her way curious of the answer. “I am not a something to be married off so his fortune will grow.”

Jayce cleared his throat, “I hate to cut this short, but Gus, I need you to go on a quest. I know this is horrible timing but she will be here when you get back.”

Ace stepped in, “She can stay at my place with Clover and me. I’ll make sure she’s safe.” Ace stated.

Gus smiled, “I’m leaving her in your hands Ace.”

Gus stopped at the door, “Don’t let Clover eat her.”

Carter glanced at Ace who smiled at her, “Would you like to see my home?”

She smiled, “Sure.”

Ace looked at Jayce, “Where is her stuff? So I can grab it?”

Mia answered, “The guest room upstairs.”

Carter waited for Ace to go grab her one bag, all she owned.

            “What is Clover?” Carter asked as they walked alongside the river.

Ace smiled, “He’s my dog.” Ace stated. Ace stepped onto the bridge to cross the river. “I don’t know if you two will get along. He’s not a very friendly dog.”

Carter raised an eyebrow, “What does that mean?”

Ace sighed, “He doesn’t like new people.”

Carter asked, “Should I be afraid of him? How big is he?”

Ace pointed at the small cottage, “Find out for yourself. We are here”

Carter walked through the door she had no time to react the German Shepard leaped at her, knocking her off her feet and onto the floor.

“CLOVER!” Ace yelled.

The laugh escaped Carter’s mouth as the dog licked her face. The dog laid on top of her his tail swaying from side to side. Ace raised an eyebrow and stated, “That’s new.”

Carter had been living with Ace for two days now in his small cottage on the edge of town. “So what kind of magic do you use?” Ace asked as they stood in his backyard.

Carter threw the stick and watched Clover chase it. “You don’t know?” She asked surprised.

“Why else would I ask?” he stated.

Carter smiled, “I need some money. I recently had someone steal my swords, but I am a… wait why should I tell you.”

Ace froze, “What does that mean? I’ll tell you what kind of magic I use.”

“Dragon magic,” Carter stated the smile crossed her face.

He frowned, “Fine, how about we fight?”

Carter grinned, “Okay, But if I win you will take me into town and buy me a set of swords.”

He laughed, “If I win, you have to be a member of my team.”

Carter nodded her head.

They stood in the middle of the yard, Ace’s hands caught on fire, a bright orange and red color. “Let’s go princess,” He growled “ladies first.”

Carter stood her feet apart and hands up, blue and purple flames burst from her fist as she swung. Ace stumbled backwards surprised. Carter raised an eyebrow, “What, did that catch you off guard?”

Eyes wide he asked, “You’re a dragon mage?”

Carter swung once more, Ace dodged grabbing ahold of her arm, she squealed as he flipped her onto the ground. “I win.” He stated a grin across his face.

“I normally fight with swords, you’re lucky I don’t have any.” Carter growled.

Ace helped her to her feet, “Let’s go to town.”

“What for?” Carter asked following him and Clover.

Ace glanced back at her, “To get you some swords.”

            The bell on the door rang as they entered the shop. “Good morning, can I help you guys?”

“We are interested in a set of swords, do you have any?” Ace asked.

The man smiled, “I only have one set, and they came in yesterday. The young man was in a hurry to sell them off. Let me go get them.”

Carter’s eyes grew wide as the swords were set down before her. “MY SWORDS!” She yelled gripping them. They were solid samurai swords, the blades a deep blue color and the grip a light blue. She pointed to the initials carved into the blades. “These are the ones that someone stole from me, Look C.L.S Carter Lace Scarlett. I got stabbed because of these swords!”

Ace smiled, “Good we found your swords.”

Carter gripped them tightly and looked at the man, “How much?” She asked nervous Ace wouldn’t buy them.

The man smiled, “I only sold them to the boy for 50 coins, if those were stolen from you I’ll only ask you pay me that much.”

Ace set the two coins on the counter. “Thank you sir, Have a nice day.”

“Wait!” The man yelled, “Would you like the sheaths that came with them?”

Cater nodded her head, “Please.”

The swords hung on her left side as the three of them walked down the street. Carter gripped Clover’s leash as they walked towards the guild. 

“Are you ready to go on your first quest as a member of blue dragon?” Ace asked as they walked through the doors.

Carter smiled at him, “Yeah, after all we are a team now.”

Ace grinned as Carter trotted over to where Rule and Layla stood. “How are thing doing?” Jayce asked as he walked up to Ace.

Ace smiled, “Clover loves her.”

“What?” Jayce gasped, “Seriously? That dog doesn’t even like you.”

Ace laughed, “Carter said she would be my partner. So gramps, are you going to give a quest?”

Jayce folded his arms across his chest, “It’s been a long time sense you have had a partner… are you ready for this?”

“She’s nothing like Talia gramps. Of course I am scared to have a partner after what happened last time but… I can’t do this alone anymore.” Ace stated. The two watched Carter laugh as Clover chased Rule around a table. “Carter is strong, that’s easy to see.”

Jayce took a deep breath, “Yes, but she does have many enemies. So watch your back Ace.” 

It was a simple mission, to chase a heard of Spirits out of a corn field. Master Jayce wanted to make sure Carter’s first quest was a simple one. No one expected it to go so wrong.

“Carter!” Ace screamed as she was flung several feet. She rolled along the ground before coming to a stop. She lay on the ground still as the man walked towards her.

Clover placed himself between Carter and the man. “Give it up princess.” The man growled, “Your papa is offering a big bounty for your return.”

The growl escaped Clover as the man stepped closer showing his teeth Clover stood his ground.

“Move mutt.” The man growled lifting his sword.

“Clover no!” Ace yelled running toward them, he wasn’t going to make it in time.

Clash! The sword came to a stop against Carter’s blue blade. “Bad move.” She growled. The blue flames rippled down the swords as Carter stood to her feet. “Good boy, Clover. Let me handle this.” Carter growled.

Ace stopped and watched as the two began to fight. Carter moved fast and swiftly, pushing the man backwards.

The sword landed on the ground as the man fell to his knees. “I won’t kill you.” Carter growled, “But if you come after me again, your head shall roll.”

***

            Jayce pinched the bridge of his nose. Ace sat beside Carter in front of the desk, dirt stained both their faces. “What am I going to do with you two?” He asked.

Carter struggled to hold back a smile as Jayce yelled, “Everywhere you go you get into some form of trouble!”

Ace laughed, “It’s not our fault.” Carter snorted and quickly tried to cover it off with a cough.

Jayce sighed and sat down in his chair. “But neither of you got hurt, right?”

“We are fine.” Carter stated.

“Just try and stay safe. Okay kids.” Jayce ordered before pointing towards the door.

            Carter and Ace laughed as they walked down the stairs. “Look at what you’ve done.” Ace chuckled.

Carter shook her head, “You can’t blame it entirely on me.” 

Ace stood there in the graveyard. The small breeze moved his hair as he looked down at the gravestone that read, Talia Leonia. “Hello.” He said to the grave as he set the purple flowers down, “I miss you.” Ace mumbled, “I wanted to come tell you about my new partner… it’s true she’s not you, but she is amazing.” He laughed, “Clover loves her, and it really is surprising… I hope you are doing alright up there.”

***

            “You don’t know about Talia?” Lea asked.

Carter raised her eyebrow, “Am I supposed to know? You guys have to remember I’ve only been here for two weeks now. I’m still new.”

Rule looked at his hands, “I forget sometimes, it feels like you’ve been here with us longer.”

Layla glanced at Lea, “We should tell her about Talia.”

“Who is Talia?” Carter asked.

Lea took a deep breath, “Talia was Ace’s best friend, and she was his whole world after he joined the guild. They became inseparable eventually forming a team when they finally got old enough to go on quest. When they were fourteen, a quest went wrong and Talia was killed. Ace broke down he almost lost his life in the process of grief. Two days before she died Talia had bought a puppy. It was the only reason Ace didn’t give up and the reason everyone in the guild puts up with Clover. Ace hasn’t worked with anyone sense then, until now you are the only other person he has ever teamed up with.”

Before Carter could ask a question Ace yelled across the guild hall, “Carter, you ready to go?”

With a smile on her face she lifted her bag off the floor, “Bye guys.” She said before running over to Ace.

            “What’s our mission today?” Carter asked as they walked down the road leading out of town.

Ace smiled at her, “There is a Wallabeast that keeps attacking a farmer, and our job is to kill the thing, before it hurts somebody.”

Carter looked at him, “What the hell is a Wallabeast?”

He glanced at her, “It’s like a giant rabbit, but with horns. They are animals possessed by dark spirits. Normally they are an easy job, but occasionally they become extremely strong, and for a beginner it can cost you your life… I’ve been hunting them sense I was fourteen.”

Carter nodded her head, “Alright, let’s do this.”

            Ace knocked on the front door of the farm house. Carter starred out into the pasture at the variety of magical animals. Her favorite a stripped Unna, stood proud. The horse like creature was black and white stripped with a single horn. “We are here to get rid of your Wallabeast.” Ace stated as the man opened the door.

Carter looked at him and smiled as he pointed towards the barn, “Good, I got it trapped in the old barn. I know better than to mess with them, that’s why I called you guys.”

“We’ll have this taken care of in no time.” Ace stated and stepped off the porch. Carter followed him pulling the swords off her hip.

“So how are we going to handle this?” She asked.

Ace smiled, “We work as a team. I’ll deliver the final blow after you slow it down. You have speed on your side so this will be a piece of cake for you.”

He pulled the barn door open and together they ran inside.

Carter froze as she saw the beast, it stood seven feet tall. “Holy hell,” She gasped. She nodded her head and charged. She dodged the kick from the animal and ended up behind him. At this moment she noticed her stiff partner. His eyes were wide as she yelled, “Ace!” What was wrong with him?

The Wallabeast turned around and Carter stood her ground. She glanced at her panicking partner who yelled, “NO! RUN TALIA!”

Carter gasped as the animal swung at her, she wasn’t fast enough being thrown to the ground. She rolled before leaping to her feet. “Ace, pull yourself together!” She screamed.

Ace moved suddenly, his flamed fist landing on the back of the beast’s neck. With a bang, the creature slammed into the ground… dead.

“What the hell was that?” Carter asked as she stormed towards him.

“No more.” Ace stated, “I can’t work with you. I’m better off on my own.”

It hit Carter by surprise and she grabbed ahold of his shirt, “No, you are not allowed to throw me to the curb. Do you hear me damn it, stop being afraid of what might happen and trust me. I’m not going to die, that easy.”

His eyes went wide as she shoved him backwards. “We are a team now, got that. No more acting on your own.”

Slowly she walked past him, “You are not the only one who has seen loss, Ace. At some point you have to move forward or the past will kill you.” 

Carter sat on the couch a book in her hand and Clover lay across her lap. Ace walked through the front door, “Can I talk to you?” He asked.

She glanced at him and said, “Sure.”

He sat down on the floor beside her, “I want to tell you a story.” He stated. Carter closed the book as he spoke, “I was a boy without a family, I lived on the streets, eating from the garbage and stealing to survive. One day I met this girl my age in one of the back allies. She had a fresh loaf of bread in her hand as she walked down the empty street. She looked so weak I figured I could easily take her. I ended up sitting on my ass with a welt on my head. With the kindest smile she looked at me and said, “If you were hungry you should have just said so.” She sat down beside me and ripped a piece of the bread off handing it to me. She told me her name was Talia, and asked me why I lived on the streets. I was angry, back than and she gripped my hand and told me, “Why don’t you come with me.” I ended up on the front steps of the guild with her right beside me. Master Jayce took one look at me in my torn and dirty cloths and smiled, “Boy, you need a bath and a warm meal.” At that time Mia was maybe twelve, and she had just begun to work for the guild behind the bar. She slapped me across the hand with the spoon when I was eating telling me to slow down saying if I wanted more there was plenty. I never expected them to take me in without a second thought. They taught me how to read and write, Gramps got me to stop stealing telling me I didn’t need to live that kind of life. I was given a bed to sleep in, all because of one girl’s kindness.  She became my best friend, I followed her everywhere, she helped me with my chores and I helped with hers.  When we were twelve we went on our first mission together and decided then we would be partners forever. Then when we were fourteen, gramps sent us on a simple mission, to kill a Wallabeast that was killing a farmer’s flock of sheep. We were not told how big the beast was, we were no match for it… I broke my arm after I was thrown ten feet. I watched as it swatted Talia as if she was nothing… she was killed on impact. The last thing she did was scream my name. She was too busy being worried about me that she lost her own life.” Ace looked at his hands, “I didn’t want to live anymore, it was all my fault if only I had been stronger, I could have saved her. I woke up in the Infirmary the next day to have Mater tell me what had happened. Lying at the foot of my bed was the three week old puppy that Talia had taken in the day before; she had named him Clover for good luck… It nearly killed me Carter. I don’t want to have to feel that pain ever again. So make me a promise…”

She cut him off, “Ace, I can’t promise you I won’t die one day. But I can promise you one thing, I won’t leave your side, I will fight all the way to the end. The only way I am going is if you go out with me.”

His eyes filled with tears and he looked away from her. “Thank you.” He whispered as the tear rolled down his face. 

Mia stood behind the bar Jayce right beside her. They looked out at all the guild members. Carter stood on her chair one foot on the table as she told a story to Ace, Rule, and Layla. Ace clung to every word as Rule and Layla laughed. Clover ran around the table barking.

“When was the last time you saw Ace look so happy?” Mia asked.

Jayce watched them closely as he said, “It has been a long time, but I do believe she was sent her for a reason, and that reason just might be him.”

Mia smiled, “I remember the day he came to this guild. Master, he has grown so much sense then. I’m proud of the man he has become.”

“Even though Carter has only been here with us a few months, have you noticed how she has changed because of him? I no longer see fear in her eyes; she has truly become one of us.” Jayce stated.

Carter looked towards them and smiled sending her glass above her head yelling, “To Blue Dragon!”

“Whoo!” The crowd yelled. The bright smile crossed Carter’s face.

Lea leaped onto the small stage in the corner of the room, pulling out her guitar. “Let’s party!” She yelled before she began her song.

Ace grabbed Carter’s wrist pulling her into the crowd of dancing people.  Beside them danced Rule and Layla. Clover weaved between the people looking ever so happy. Mia even pulled Jayce onto the dance floor. None of them expecting what would come next.

The guild doors swung open and the man entered walking towards the group of people. He carried himself proudly, shoulder’s back and head held high.

Ace spun Carter; she froze when she saw him, her smile instantly faded. Ace followed her gaze to the man. “Carter?” he asked but she heard nothing.

“No.” She gasped.

Lea’s song came to an end and Ace noticed Carter’s trembling hands. “Why are you here?” She screamed. The room grew silent as everyone noticed the man.

“You know why Lace.” He stated, “Enough of playing wizard, it is time for you to come home.”

Ace asked again, “Carter, who is this?”

“I won’t.” Carter growled, “I will not go home to that hell hole of a castle.”

He took a single step forward and her eyes filled with tears. “Why did he have to send you?”

“Carter!” Ace yelled.

She jumped, without looking at him she took a deep breath. “Master, I am sorry.”

Jayce stepped through the crowd, “Carter you are not going with this man.”

“Yes she is.” He growled. “I am Jasper Ranger, third prince of Flare hare to the throne. By order of my father the king you are here by ordered to return to the Scarlett Dynasty.”

Ace reached forward grabbing her wrist as she stepped forward. “No.” He growled.

“Ace,” She said, “Do me a favor; take care of Clover and yourself.”

His eyes grew wide as she pulled away from him walking towards the man. “What on earth are you wearing?” He asked pointing out her jeans and white blouse, “This is no way for the future Princess to dress… and these people Lace, they are trash, never speak to them again.”

“Of course, as you wish.” She said to him.

Everyone stood still, completely silent as she slowly walked out the door. “Cater!” Ace screamed taking a step forward. Rule caught his arm and flung him to the floor. Layla put her knee into his back,

“You fool!” Layla sobbed, “Do you not understand!”

Ace struggled trying to get up, “Carter! Come back! Don’t leave!”

“Shut up Ace.” Jayce growled. “Do you think this is something she wants to do? If she doesn’t… we all could be put to death… even her.”

Mia covered her mouth as the tears streamed down her face, as Ace broke free running towards the door.

Carter walked towards the horse drawn carriage, her eyes cold and distant.

“Carter!” Ace screamed as he stood in the doorway, “This will always be your home!”

The tears rolled down her face as she refused to look back knowing it would only cause her pain, she stepping into the carriage.  “You brought this upon yourself.” Jasper growled. “What were you thinking, running off and joining a guild, such dirty work? You are to be my queen one day, I cannot permit this.”

She looked out the window at the guild as it slowly disappeared behind the trees.  

Clover lay on the empty bed, quietly whining. “I know boy.” Ace stated, “I miss her to. But what can I do? She is going to marry the future king in two weeks. He practically owns her.”

Ace stood in the door way of the bedroom, the walls covered in decorations. Blue ribbon hung from the ceiling. He smiled remembering the day Carter asked him to help her redecorate the room. Slowly he walked into the dark room and sat down on the bed beside Clover. He frowned at the pair of swords in the corner.

“Ace!” Rule yelled walking through the front door of the house. He walked into Carter’s room and took a breath. “She’s been gone for a month now. Do you think it’s time to pack up her room?”

Ace shook his head, “No, I won’t.”

Rule groaned rubbing the back of his head, “I just heard the news, but it looks like everyone in the kingdom is welcome at the wedding.”

Ace looked at his hands, “Why are you telling me this?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Layla said appearing behind Rule, “She needs us there, she is being forced into a marriage and we are her true family. The least we can do it be there for her.”  

“What is this?” Rule asked picking up the necklace that sat on the table. The half-moon crescent had a silver dragon wrapped around it.

Ace stood to his feet and walked towards it. “I haven’t seen that before.” He stated noticing the piece of paper below it.

Hello Ace,

            I made you a promise that I won’t be able to keep, I won’t be able to keep any longer. Here is a necklace I have had sense I was a child. It was a gift from my mother; she told me that one day I should give it to someone that I trusted with my life, my best friend. Thank you Ace for showing me what it was like to be free… at least for a little while. Please don’t let the past hold you back, I don’t want to be the reason of any sadness in your heart. I will miss you, goodbye.

Carter Lace Scarlett

Ace slowly lowered the paper gripping the chain in his hand. He broke, falling to his knee’s he sobbed, “I am so sorry! I couldn’t help you at all in the end. Can you ever forgive me?”

Rule and Layla frowned looking at each other. “Ace, stand up,” Layla growled, “This would kill her. Stand up!”

***

            Carter sat in the window looking out at the moon. Her hand gripped the necklace that hung around her neck. Her brown hair was curled and she was dressed in a tight blue ball gown.  Releasing the half-moon necklace she stood to her feet. Checking herself in the mirror she couldn’t help but notice all the weight she had lost, her eyes looked tired and cold.

“Miss Lace.” The maid said stepping into the room. “Prince Jasper is waiting for you.”

Cater shot the young girl a look and hissed, “Let his wait.”

The door was pushed all the way open and the woman stepped in. “Lace.” She sighed. Her name was Tania, she was the queen.

“That is not my name!” She screamed sending a vase to the floor. “When will you people learn? It’s Carter! Carter!”  She fell to her knees gasping for air, “I hate it here.”

The queen walked over to her, “This is not something you choose, when you are chosen it should be an honor, act like a lady and hide your emotions.”

Carter slowly stood on her feet and took a breath, “I hate you all.”

The queen smiled, “I am alright with that.”

Carter walked down the stairs into the ballroom full of people. She held her head high refusing to allow them to see her weak. Many stopped to watch her enter. Many clapped and some whistled as she made it to the base of the stairs. “She’s so beautiful.” Many exclaimed. “I wish I could be her.”

Carter made her way through the crowd until she stood beside Jasper. “Smile, it’s a party.” He said to her.

“No.” She hissed looking around.

A man walked up to her, “May I have this dance madam?”

She took a breath and nodded her head. He took her gloved hand and pulled her to the dance floor.

“You know Carter, you don’t look so happy.” He said to her as they began to dance.

Carter looked at him; something about him was extremely familiar. His longish blonde hair was pulled back behind his head and the red mask covered his face. “Do I know you?” She asked as he spun her.

He smiled and she felt her heart sink, “Rule.” She gasped.

His smile grew wider and she couldn’t hold back her own. “What are you doing here?” She asked surprised.

“Well, I married a nobleman’s daughter last week. So I am able to attend all of these parties.” He stated.

“You got married?” She gasped, “To whom?”

He grinned, “Layla Levi.”

Carter smiled, “I had no idea, she was a nobleman’s daughter let alone that you two were a couple.”

Rule looked toward the ground, “There is something I want to talk to you about.”

She raised an eyebrow as he guided her around the dance floor, “What is it?”

He leaned in close and whispered in her ear, “We all love and miss you.”

“Will you be attending the wedding?” She asked.

He smiled, “Of course, the whole guild will be there.” 

“Promise you’ll take care of him?” Ace asked.

Layla gripped Clover’s leash. “You are coming back, don’t forget this Ace.”

He nodded his head, “I am crashing a royal wedding today, I don’t have a clue how it’s going to end.”

Mia who stood behind Layla ordered, “Don’t do anything stupid, you got it.”

Ace turned towards the group. Jayce, Rule, Lea, Gus, and Ace all waved good bye to the guild.

“Are you ready to go?” Rule asked Ace.

With a smile on his face he turned towards the boys, “let’s go.”

***

            “Today, you become a princess Lace. Today you say goodbye to all your swordplay and magic, you will conduct yourself in a manner of royalty. You will not speak to commoners, and you will stand by my son’s side.” The queen ordered.

Carter stood in front of the mirror, her brown hair pulled back and in curls. A few strands hung in her face.

The while dress was tight against her chest and then puffed out at her waist. White gloves covered her hands and around her neck hung the silver necklace, a half-moon with a dragon curled around it.

“You are not wearing that necklace.” The Queen ordered reaching for it.

Carter pulled away, “This was my mothers, the one thing I have asked for. You shall not take it away from me.”

The queen groaned, “Fine.”  

The door to the room was opened and a maid stepped in, “Your highness, they are ready for you.”

The vail was pulled over Carter’s face and together they walked out the door.

            The isle was long and Carter could hear every beat of her heart as she walked down it. She held back her tears as she looked around. Where are they she asked herself? He eyes landed on the lone man who stood in the center of the isle ahead of her.

She froze gasping, “Ace.”

The smile crossed his face and he laughed, “Did you really think we were going to let you go?”

Here heart sank as the guards around her dropped. Water flowed around her cutting through the fabric of her dress. It was cut short; easy for her to run now she looked around finding Rule standing behind her.

The doors to the church burst open as Gus walked in a large smile on her face. Loudly the master’s voice boomed, “We do not care who the enemy be, may it be the kingdom or the whole world if you mess with our family you shall feel the wrath of Blue dragon!”

The tears rolled down Carter’s face as she screamed, “You fools! What have you done?”

Ace grabbed ahold of her hand, the soft smile crossed his face, “Isn’t it obvious? We’ve come for you.”

She stood still for a moment, “Get them!” Jasper screamed.

“Time to run,” Ace said handing her the two swords and pulling her after him. 

            “Ace!” Carter screamed as time slowed down. The sword pierced Ace’s chest, his eyes went wide as he was sent to the ground.

The man who held the weapon turned to Carter. The two of them, Ace and Carter, and gotten separated from Rule and the others.

Carter stood frozen as she looked at Ace’s motionless body. “ACE!” She screamed again.

“He’s dead.” The guard growled.

Carter’s eyes grew wide and the swords burst into flames. “You bastard!” She screamed charging him. Her blade cut completely through his sword sending the man backwards.

“Carter!” Rule yelled running around the corner.

Blood splattered on the white dress as she beheaded the man.

“Ace!” She cried running towards him.

Rule noticed him lying on the ground, “Ace!”

Carter pressed her head against his chest holding her breath. Thud! “He’s alive!” She cried. “Rule we need to get him out of here!”

Gus and Jayce came running around the corner as Rule lifted Ace onto his back. “Master, he’s hurt bad!” Rule yelled.

Gus threw Carter over his shoulder, “We have to run. We can deal with his injuries later, after we get out of the castle!” He yelled.

“Where are we going to go once we are out?” Carter asked.

Jayce smiled, “We have a new guild hall, in the kingdom of Dreegon. Everyone is waiting for us there!”

They burst into the town square, guards surrounded them. “What do we do know?” Rule asked.

She howled from the top of the building, “Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay!” The arrows then rained from above. Lea stood up nodded her head at the men below. “Couldn’t let you have all the fun!”

***

            As they entered the woods Jayce turned to Lea, “Can you do something about Ace?”

She looked at the hole in his chest and everyone could see it in her eyes, the fear. “I’ll try to make it so his life is no longer in danger but when we get to the guild he’ll need surgery right away.”

Carter sat back against a tree her knees pulled to her chest as Lea began to stitch him back together. 

Carter stood back as they ran into the new guild hall. It looked different from the first one, but she knew it was the people that made it home. She was too worried about Ace to move, so she just stood there in the rain looking at the guild. From the front door he came running, she had no time to react, Clover leaped onto her knocking her backwards in to a puddle. “Clover!” She yelled as he licked her face beyond happy to see her.

Carter entered the silent guild hall with Clover at her side. She looked up to see everyone’s eyes on her. “Carter!” Mia cried running to her.

As Mia wrapped her arms around her Layla did to and many other guild members ran to her all happy to see her, all of them willing to pick up all of their things and move just for her.

Carter finally broke; she fell to her knees and began to sob, “What makes me so worthy of your love? I am nothing yet you do anything for me! Why?”

Mia grabbed ahold of her face and smiled, “Can’t you see, you wouldn’t hesitate to go and save any member of this guild. So why would we, you are our friend… you are our family… what kind of people would we be if we abandoned the ones we hold dear to us?”

***

            Ace lay in the bed, the white bandage wrapped around his chest. Carter in the chair beside his bed, she was fast asleep her head resting on the bed.

Ace slowly opened his eyes and looked around. His eyes fell on her and he smiled noticing her. Slowly he reached out his hand placing it on the back of her head. “We did it.” He groaned.

Slowly she lifted her head, rubbing her eyes she looked at him. It was silent for a minute, then her eyes filled with tears and she screamed, “You fool! What were you thinking! You are not allowed to die on me! You Idiot!”

He watched her wide eyed as she continued to scream at him. “Carter!” He finally yelled.

She froze, “I thought you were going to leave me alone… I don’t ever want to be alone again.”

He reached out grabbing her hand, “I promise you’ll never be alone again.” 

The house was small but that didn’t matter, they would share the rent they decided. Carter would be in charge of cleaning and Ace was to make sure they had plenty of food.
The moon was high in the sky as Carter walked into the living room. “Can’t sleep can you?” Ace asked, he sat on the couch.
She smiled at him, “Clover is in my bed.” She stated, “He’s a hog.”
She sat down beside him on the couch and sighed, “Do you think they will come after us again?”
“I don’t know. It depends how badly they want you.” Ace stated, “But don’t worry, we won’t let them have you, never again.”
She smiled, “Do you know what tomorrow is?”
“What?” He asked, looking at her.
“It’s my twentieth birthday.” She stated her head resting on the couch, her eyes slightly closed. “And ten months sense I joined Blue dragon.”
“Has it only been ten months?” He gasped, “It seems so much longer.”
He glanced at her and smiled. She was fast asleep beside him. Slowly he stood up grabbing a blanket and setting it over her. He stood over her for a moment watching her sleep. “Goodnight Carter.” He whispered before turning off the light.

Carter’s eyes flickered open, light poured through the windows. By her feet on the couch lay Clover in a ball. She looked around the room before glancing at the kitchen where the sound of cooking came from. She struggled to her feet and staggered towards the smell of food.
“Good morning.” Ace said to her.
She rubbed her eyes, “Sure.” She murmured, “What are you doing?”
He smiled at her, “Do you want some breakfast?” She staggered across the kitchen, the blanket wrapped around her shoulders. “Are you excited for today?”
“What is today?” Carter asked as she flopped down in a chair, and lying her head on the table.
Ace shook his head, “It’s the anniversary of the day the guild was formed. We throw a giant party every year. It will be 205 years sense Master Hellen formed the guild.”
Groaning Carter nodded her head, “Oh, that, yeah I forgot.”
Setting the plate down in front of her he asked, “Are you feeling alright?”
“No, I feel like I’m dying.” She grumbled. “I am going to go lay back down.”
Ace watched her walk out of the kitchen, Clover on her heels. He sighed knowing she was going to miss the best party of the year.

Ace walked into the guild. Rule waved at him asking, “Where is Carter?”
“She’s sick I think she has a cold. She won’t be coming today.” Ace stated. He could see the disappointment on all of their faces.
Ace walked up to the bar and smiled at Mia, “I need to ask you a favor.” He said.
Mia raised her eyebrows asking, “What is it?”
The sneeze echoed through the house. Carter lay curled in a ball on her bed. The blankets wrapped around her, she hugged Clover. She sat up as he heard the door open.
“Ace?” She asked in her stuffy voice. He poked his head in the door and smiled at her, “What are you doing here you should be at the party?”
Ace shook his head sitting at the end of her bed, “How can I have fun knowing your stuck here, sick in bed?” He crawled through the bed and laid beside her looking up at the ceiling he said, “I brought you some soup if you are hungry.”
She rolled towards him resting her head on his shoulder, “I will eat it later.”

Carter ran around the corner laughing, Clover chased her as Ace stood in the kitchen watching the two play. He smiled as Carter fell to the floor the dog on top of her. “Get off!” She squealed.
Ace set his coffee cup down on the table and walked towards her, “I am heading to the guild, would you like to come with me?”
She looked up at him, “I’ll meet you there I have to go into town first.”
***

Lea burst through the doors and screamed, “Ace!”
He turned towards her as he sat at the bar talking to Mia. His eyes grew wide noticing her eyes full of pain.
“Carter.” He gaped leaping to his feet and running after her.

A crowd had gathered around the tree. Ace pushed his way through the people. He froze when he saw her hanging by her wrist from the tree branch. The bottom of her shirt was torn and her stomach was exposed for all to see, blood ran down her face, and pinned to what remained of her shirt was a letter. Ace’s hands trembled in anger as he screamed, “Carter!”
Lea stood back sobbing as Rule rushed to the front of the crowd with Ace. “I’ll cut her free, you catch her.” He ordered to Ace.
Her unconscious body fell towards the ground, landing in Ace’s arms. “Carter!” he gasped grabbing her face. She had been beaten badly, and clinging to life.

The guild hall was silent as everyone waited for an update. Ace stood at the bar, the fire raged in his eyes as he hissed, “Whoever did this to her is going to pay.”
Layla sat beside Rule both looked defeated. “Why would someone do that to Carter?” Layla asked.
“Who is strong enough?” Lea asked, “Carter isn’t someone who can easily be beaten. So how did they manage this?”
Everyone looked up as Jayce entered the room. “She is alive.” He stated, “We can be thankful for that, but I do not know when she will regain consciousness. The doctor says it may be tomorrow… or never.”
Ace’s arms trembled as he listened to the Master’s words. Everyone watched in silence as he walked past master through the doors. Slowly he moved down the hallway walking towards the medical wing.
The doctors watched him pass, no one dared to stop the man as he walked into the room.
In the hospital bed she laid, arms at her side and head turned slightly to the right. White bandage wrapped around her head, and up both her arm covering her body. Her face was bruised as he stood there listening to the machines. The tear rolled down her face as he looked at her closed eyes. “Who did this to you?” He growled his voice trembling.
“Ace,” Jayce said standing behind him, “You need to read this.”
Ace looked down at the letter and read it to himself. You dragons have brought this upon yourselves. Get out of our town. ~Trillian Guild.
“Gramps,” He growled.
Taking a deep breath Jayce said, “We attack at dawn. We will teach them what happens when they mess with our family.”

Mia sat beside the hospital bed. She looked out the closed window at the rainy day. Down in the guild hall the rest of the guild prepared for battle. Lea walked through the open door, “We are leaving now, protect our girl.”
Mia looked up tears in her eyes, “I won’t let them near her.”
Lea nodded her head before walking into the room standing over Carter’s bed she said, “Now you listen to me, we all know about that promise you made to Ace, so don’t back down now, and come home soon. We miss you already.”
Mia watched Lea leave before looking at Carter’s open eyes. The tears streamed from her eyes as she begged, “No fighting.”

Ace pushed open the doors and Master said, “Let’s go.”
“Ace!” Mia screamed pushing her way through the people. “Ace! She’s awake! Ace!”
He turned towards her eyes wide, “What?”
As he ran towards the hospital room Mia spoke to Master. “No fighting.”

“Carter.” Ace gasped as he entered the room. Her tired eyes looked towards him.
“A-Ace,” She mumbled. He gripped her hand as she spoke, “It wasn’t them…” Her eyelids were heavy as she struggled to speak to him, “No fighting.” She whispered as he head sank into the pillow and her eyes grew closed.
He lifted his head looking towards the door. Jayce stood there, “Ace, have you seen Nate?”
Ace stood up tall, “No not in days, why?” He looked at Mia who stood behind the master. “What’s going on?”
Jayce looked at Carter, “We have a traitor in our guild… a man who has deceived us all.”
“What are you talking about?” Ace yelled.
Mia shook her head, “I figured it out, why she doesn’t want us to fight, because she knows none of us can defeat him.”
“Are you trying to say…?”
Jayce cut him off, “This was Nate’s work. I didn’t want to believe it but the magic that was used to curse her was the same type as his… I wanted badly to not believe it, but the man who did this to Carter was her own flesh and blood, Nate.”

“Ace!” Mia cried as he threw the glass mug across the room. “What the hell!” he screamed.
Rule stood up, “What are we going to do?”
“There is nothing to do, Nate is gone and even if he was still here his magic is a type you do not want to fight. He is not someone you just charge into battle against. His magic is that which destroys peoples will to fight. He is a powerful mage and even stronger swordsman than any of us. I refuse to allow any of you to fight him. Carter was just his warning, I don’t know what he wants but we cannot fight him, understand Ace.” Jayce growled.
Another mug hit the wall. “Damn it all! Why the hell not? Did you see what he did to her! How can we just allow that?” He screamed.
Mia raised her voice for the first time, “You idiot! Even in that bed she’s worried about you! Sit down and shut the hell up now!”
Ace’s eyes full of fears he sat down on the ground. Everyone in the guild hall was silent as Mia scolded him, “Carter knows we cannot take him, that’s why she told us not to fight! Why don’t you listen to her for once?”

Ace walked into the hospital room, “Carter!” He gasped.
She stood in the corner, the black pants were tight on her and she wore a cropped black t-shirt. He looked her over before asking, “What are you doing?” His eyes glanced back at her stomach, “Is that a tattoo?”
She tightened the ponytail before looking at him then her hip. The small heart was tattooed on her hip, “You didn’t know about this?”
“Never mind that,” He screamed, “What are you doing out of bed? It’s only been two days?”
Carter smiled, “Go get my swords dumbass. I’m itching for a fight.”
“Is your head alright?” He asked grabbing her face.
She chuckled, “You see, I was alright with him beating the shit out of me, it’s what he said to me that makes me so angry.”
“Why are you running into a fight you need to heal?” Ace asked.
Carter arched her eyebrow, “The bastard is coming after the guild. He wants to kill Master Jayce and turn us into a dark guild. It has been his plan sense my mother left the guild. She was the only one who could stop him, now that he knows she’s dead, he’s going to destroy blue dragon.”
Ace sighed, “But why do you have to fight?” He asked.
Carter placed her hand on his face, “This isn’t the Ace I know, where is the man who runs into battle at the blink of an eye for his comrades, the man who rescued a complete stranger because she joined his guild. I am going to fight, so partner what do you say?”
Ace grabbed ahold of her hand, “I say let us fight.”
“Count me in.” Lea said standing in the door, “You guys are going to need a sharp shooter watching your backs.”
“I actually need you to do something for me Lea.” Carter stated.
Lea raised her eyebrow, “What?”
“Cover for me.” She asked.
***

Carter walked beside Ace, both with stern looks on their faces as they walked towards the field. “Are you sure he will be here?” Ace asked.
Carter nodded her head, “Positive, this is where he lured me into his trap.”
The small cottage sat in the center of the freshly cut wheat field. Carter pulled the swords off her hips as he stepped out the front door, “I have been waiting for you two.” Nate chuckled.
“This is for my mom.” Carter hissed.

“You both are weak.” Nate growled as the two stood on their knees struggling to stand to their feet.
Carter set the ground ablaze as she stood up both her swords burning bright. “That doesn’t matter.” She gasped, “We have a reason to fight. I will not stand down until I draw my last breath.”
Ace stood up beside her, the blood dripped down his face from his cheek. He one swift motion he wiped away the blood and smiled, “That’s what makes us a perfect team, whenever I feel everything is about to end. I just listen to her words, because they give me strength. With her by my side there is nothing we can’t do.”
Carter smiled, “We can do anything, even set the world one fire.”
Nate looked around noticing that most of the field had been caught on fire. “Our magic is the kind that destroys.” Ace stated.
“With this magic we will destroy you!” Carter yelled as they both charged him.
Nate blocked the swing of Carter’s swords, and swung his bare hand at Ace. Ace rolled across the ground before leaping to his feet. “We won’t let you destroy our home!” he screamed running towards him.
Nate reached out Carter ducked, the scream escaped her lips as his hand wrapped around her ponytail. He lifted her off the ground and swung at Ace. He was flung several feet, as he laid on the ground a small smile appeared on his lips, “I leave the rest to you.”
“Die you filth.” Nate said as he raised his sword to deliver the killing blow.
“Not a chance!” Carter yelled.
The strands of brown hair fell to the ground as she landed on her feet. Her once long and beautiful hair now cut short and jagged fell close to her shoulders. The fire raged in her eyes as she charged him. “Get away from Ace!” She screamed leaping into the air hurling herself at Nate.
He tumbled backwards as his sword broke in half. The blade sank through his left shoulder as they slammed into the ground. Carter rolled several feet, only holding onto one of her swords, leaving the other in his shoulder.
Nate staggered to his feet, “How do you still have a will to fight? Everything you love has been taken away from you! Your mother even abandoned you!”
Carter shook her head, “Death is not abandonment. You know nothing of my life, nothing of the things I love.”
She pointed the sword at him, “Stand down now.”
He pulled the sword from his shoulder throwing it aside, “Stupid child.” He growled and ran at her.
Carter stepped aside and aimed straight.

Nate lay there on the ground, “So this is how I die?”
Carter sat down beside him, “You really are a fool, you could have lived, but instead you chose death.”
She looked at him as he spoke, “Do you know where you get the name Scarlett?”
Carter took a breath, “That was something I was never able to ask my mother.”
Nate turned his head towards her, “That is the last name of your true father. Alvin Scarlett. He was your mom’s best friend… listen to my last words not as your enemy but as your family. Carter he is still alive and out there, so one day you should find him and ask who your mother really was…she was…beautif…”
Carter closed her eyes and looked away from him, the tear rolled down her face.
“Carter?” Ace asked standing behind her, “Are you alright.”
Slowly she stood on her feet, “His words were true weren’t they?”
“I don’t know, he had lied to us all.” Ace stated.
Carter looked over at the setting sun and said, “My real father though? Where do you suppose he could be?”
Ace leaned on her and said, “Let’s save that question for another day… how about we go home.”

Ace stood back and watched as Mia worked on Carter’s hair. “Are you alright with it being short?” Mia asked, “I know how important your long hair was to you.”
“What do you mean?” Ace asked looking at Carter.
Carter looked at her hands, “I once made a promise to my mother when I was a small child that I wouldn’t cut my hair, because she told me she loved how it looked all grown out.”
Ace flashed back to that moment, “You cut your hair… to save me.”
Mia looked at him eyes wide. “I found something more important than my hair.” Carter stated the smile crossed her face and she closed her eyes.
Ace flinched as he entered the room, “Are you two absolute idiots!” Jayce yelled.
Carter grinned, “Sorry Master, but there was something I had to take care of.”
He took a deep slow breath, “Carter Scarlett you always seem to amaze me.”
Ace grinned, “Every single day.”
Carter started laughing, “Hey now when is the party?”
Ace laughed as Master covered his face and left the room.
“Done,” Mia said holding the mirror up for Carter, “What do you think?”
He hair barley reached her shoulders, put Mia had layered it and added some bangs.
“I like it,” Carter stated, “now, how about we go get a well-earned meal.”

Lea ran towards them as they entered the guild hall. “You guys did it!”
“I had Carter at my side, what made you think we would have lost.” Ace asked.
Carter nudged him, “You are the only reason we won.”
“What are you talking about, that battle was all you Carter. You are and amazing mage!”
“To Carter and Ace” Rule shouted raising his glass high in the air.
The guild hall screamed, “CARTER AND ACE!”

“Master,” Carter said stepping into the office. “Can you answer my questions?”
“He told you about Alvin didn’t he?” Jayce asked telling Carter to take a seat.
Carter nodded her head, “So it is true… My real father… is out there.”
“He was a member of this guild with your mom. Everyone thought they would end up together… but when your mom got pregnant with you… she ran wanting you to have a better life. This broke Alvin’s heart, he eventually decided to travel the world in search of you. That was nineteen years ago, no one has seen him sense.” Jayce stated.
Carter looked at the morning light pouring through the window. “I want to find him.” She declared.
Jayce smiled, “This will always be your home Carter, go travel the world in search of him you can always come back here. We will welcome you with open arms.”
Carter looked at him wide eyed, “Master…”
“Do not worry, he will understand weather you want to take him with you or if this something you have to do on your own.”
***
Many of the guild members cried as she stood with her back to the door. The backpack on the floor and her swords on her hip, Mia looked at her and said, “You be safe kid.”
Lea hugged her around the neck and said, “Carter I am going to miss you so much.”
Carter took a step back and looked at Ace. “I want you to take him with you.” He said handing her the leash, “That way I know someone has your back.”
Carter eyes filled with tears as she took Clover’s leash from him. “I am sorry, Ace, you know this is a journey I have to take. This place will always be home and I promise you one day I will be back. When that day comes I expect my partner to be here waiting for me.”
He smiled and nodded his head, “Be safe okay.”
She lunged at him hugging his waist, “This has been the best year of my life, it is all thanks to you guys. I am going to miss you so much.” The tears rolled down her face as he hugged her back.
“Carter go an explore the world… I can’t wait to hear all of your stories.” Ace said as she walked towards the door.
Ace held back the tears as she slowly walked away into the setting sun.
Rule who stood behind Ace asked, “Why didn’t you tell her?”
Ace looked at him, “Because if she knew I loved her she would never go.” The tears finally fell from his eyes, “Anyway, I’ll have plenty of time for that when she comes back.”
To Be Continued…



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.