Apatheia Ataraxia | Teen Ink

Apatheia Ataraxia

July 1, 2014
By writewithwonder, Pacoima, California
More by this author
writewithwonder, Pacoima, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of. - Joss Whedon


Author's note:

This was inspired from a prompt that was first given by my English teacher, one that first started out as a four page story and then the story took some Red Bull paired with 90 cups of coffee and ran around the world to be what it is today.
Dystopia is all about pointing out all the things wrong with a society right now. The Hunger Games, for example, calls to focus the current state of media. Apatheia Ataraxia, while it has a great focus on action and what not, was made to draw attention to the use of drugs in our current society. As you read on, you will notice the affects of the "serum" used in the story is reminiscent of the effects that opium drugs have on the body.

The author's comments:
Disclamer: Any names, places, or otherwise, that seem like I took them from other movies, authors, and whatnot, are coincidental. Right here, I would like to thank all of my friends and family and advisers who helped me with this story, in big ways and little ways. Love you guys.

Apatheia Ataraxia



“The one permanent emotion of the inferior man is fear—fear of the unknown, the complex, the inexplicable. What he wants above everything else, is safety.”
-H.L. Mencken

{---~---}

We are the remains of a world that tore itself apart with war and disease. Once divided and segregated, we have come together in wisdom and humility. The people recognized that only through unity under the Salutarius government can we heal, thrive, and continue to move forward. Salutarius blames chaotic, unrestrained, freedom for the Third World War. A war that devastated the world, causing tragedy wherever there was life. Salutarius blames this devastation on government systems who were flexible. They compromised their pure, traditional, values leading to corruption of a system that was meant to protect and serve the people. Instead, it deceived the people and allowed their trusted leaders to betray and lie. An inflexible government system
serves as a reliable backbone for a thriving society always working for the betterment of its citizens. This is why we exist; for the good of all people. Every serum, every rule, every regulation, every restrain is to ensure mankind’s survival. Our survival; and the future of generations to come.

- Excerpt of Salutarius Manifesto

{---~---}

Rhiannon looked over at the eighteen year old man she was currently intertwining fingers with as they simply sat together. A small smile spread onto her face as he stared off to a certain fixed point in space. He was thinking about something. She knew because he would bite on his bottom lip when he was deep in thought. Also, Connor’s brown eyes gleamed with thoughtfulness. They were clear, unlike so many others.
Today was the day; the day that they would finally finally get to taste of the world outside of the big glass dome that isolated them.
The couple was on the outskirts of the city, Salutarius, where they were sure that no one would see them. The sidewalks were cracked and buildings were abandoned—some windows cracked or completely shattered. It was illegal to be seen exchanging any public or private displays of affection to anyone who was not your Matched Partner—as stated in the first article of The Reproduction Restriction Act—so this was the safest place for them to be.
“Everything’s in place, Rhi,” he said breaking the comfortable silence, “Are you…afraid? Of finding out what’s out there?”
Connor looked down at their hands and a moment later he gently brought her hand up to his lips, kissing the back of it gently. She looked away from him, thinking. Was she? Was she afraid to see what was behind the glass that only reflected the city’s own image? Was she afraid to see the unknown? No, she thought.

Rhiannon was afraid that she might die, yes—it was a worthy fear, but she was not afraid of the unknown. She was more afraid of dying not knowing what was out there. She had to know what was beyond those walls. She had to know that there was something more than the suppressing simplicity of Salutarius life.
“No,” she said—looking back at him again, “Are you, Con?”
He didn’t take as long as her to answer. When he gave his reply, his voice was filled with confidence. His confidence made her strong; yet another reason why she loved him.
“No. I’m not,” he said. “Not of that.”
She leaned in, placing a kiss on his lips. Rhiannon knew what he was afraid of. He brought his free hand up to cup her cheek.
“I can’t lose you,” he murmured against her lips.
The blonde pulled away slightly and put a hand on his cheek as well, in an attempt to ease his troubled mind. Her fingertips made small, invisible, soothing, circles on his dark skin.
“You won’t. I promise.”

{---~---}

“RUN! JUST RUN”, Connor had shouted before getting lost in the mass of chaos.
Her heart pounded as she turned a sharp corner and a bullet was lodged into the slate grey wall not too far from where her head was not two seconds ago. She felt tiny pieces of concrete hit the back of her shirt but she couldn’t stop. It wasn’t supposed to end up like this. It was supposed to be simple. The Refragatio had planned for the break out decades. Years upon years of developing the liquid nitrogen bombs to freeze the multiple layers of stainless steel walls. Then the Force Tanks to break them down afterwards. Their army, every soldier, had undergone rigorous underground training. They had gone over their strategic escape from The Dome that she knew it like the back of her hand. But someone on the inside, someone they trusted, betrayed them by spilling their plans to the President; in exchange for protection after The Refragatio failed. That one leak was the cause of everything being rendered completely and utterly useless. The Salutarius soldiers had been waiting for them, and they countered every strategy they had planned. Now, the goal was no longer to penetrate the walls of The Dome and take their God-given freedom but instead to simply survive. This was war; and mercy has no place in war.
Her feet pounded on the ground in a quick yet steady pace, twisting and turning through the maze of the grand metropolis. She made sure to avoid major streets, where she would be out in the open. At the moment, alleyways were her best friend. Her knuckles were turning white as she gripped a silver gun in her right hand, her finger waiting on the trigger. For a brief second, she turned around and launched a few of her own bullets. One found it’s mark, the chest of a Salutarius soldier. He fell to the ground with a sickening thud and she was running again. She had no time to be horrified with herself, but she would in due time.
Rhiannon was starting to feel a burning sensation in her legs but every gunshot was like someone screaming in her ear saying “DO YOU WANT TO DIE? NO?! THEN RUN FASTER!” She had never—in her decade and six years of life—had she run so fast. Blonde strands of hair were sticking her neck from the sweat but she didn’t care. A shot went off and a bullet found her right shoulder. A scream escaped her lips and another bullet found her, this time connecting with her left shoulder. Again, she screamed. Yet, the pain had not settled yet. There was too much adrenaline, too much focus on running away to acknowledge the pain. But one second later, it hit her. An ear splitting, pain filled, yell came from her but it was so surreal; like it couldn’t believe it was her who was shot. It just couldn’t be; but it was. Rhiannon stumbled and she tripped, falling down to the ground. She screamed again, as she landed on her right shoulder. She was bleeding. Bleeding. It was her crimson liquid that was pooling around her, staining her black and silver Refragatio army uniform. It was her blood that was staining her mussed, tangled, blonde curls. Her breath came too quick and too fast as she tried to cope with the pain. Black spots began to fill her vision and she could make out the image of standard grey Salutarius soldier boots. She thought of Connor. She thought that even if she died, hopefully, he would still be alive. Then, she let the inviting heavenly empty darkness over take her vision, her thoughts, and her consciousness. Rhiannon hope that the darkness, at least, would be less painful than this.

{---~---}




She was waiting for the train with the rest of her classmates when the chrome watch—a standard part of her normal outfit, like it was for everyone else--on her wrist released three short trills of beeping. Suddenly, the ambient chatter of the teenagers died down and the boy with ginger hair that she had been making small talk with, turned away from her. It was time for the daily dose of apatheiaoxide, or the Ataraxia Serum, as it had been so aptly named. The rest of the adolescent cluster looked down as their watch beeped at the same time. She quickly pressed a button on her watch, a second earlier than everyone else, and the girl pushed a few dirty blonde hairs from her face, tucking them behind her ears. It might have soothed someone, the uniform chiming, but it only made Rhiannon uncomfortable. It felt…wrong. It always did. She blinked and from the corner of her eye noticed that someone had stopped their watch a second late—just as she had stopped the beeping a second early. Rhiannon’s eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion. As far as she had known, she was the only one who ever occasionally stopped it out of the uniform time frame. It was a boy with dark skin and bright brown eyes. She didn’t know his name and she had no time to ask yet. He must have been from a different sector of the city. Her blue eyes glanced to him and she took out her grey metal case. On the lid, it bore the Salutarius official seal and her designation number in neat, machine stamped, lettering.

[SE1-1-21R-T8]

She ignored the sound of everyone else taking out their own metal case at the same time and punched in the ten number code onto the small digital screen on the side. A seven day row was neatly designated and resting snugly in each of the grooves were small compact containers that held the bright orange colored liquid. Being a practiced motion, the entire cluster of adolescents easily took out their Injection Guns and slipped the Monday Injection Container in. The girl put the cool metal of the gun on the right side of her neck and pulled the trigger. Rhiannon didn’t even flinch when the needle penetrated her skin and injected the serum into her system; no one did. If she was like everyone else, she would’ve felt calmer and more passive. If she was like everyone else, her cobalt blue eyes would have hazed and her sharp mind would have been muddled by the drugs. It was designed to keep people passive, calm, quiet, cooperative. But she wasn’t like everyone else. Rhiannon looked to the crowd of teenagers and realized she wasn’t the only one immune to the effects of the Ataraxia Serum. The same dark skinned boy who had stopped his watch a second late didn’t seem to be effected like everyone else. He did not look dazed or anything of the sort. His eyes were bright, like hers, despite the fact that that they were chocolate colored. She raised an eyebrow, intrigued but moments later wiped the look off her face. She didn’t want to call attention to herself. Now, she definitely had to know his name.
The train’s horn blared and she quickly put her silver case and injection gun back in her bag. With the shuffling of more than three dozen adolescents, the train came to a stop and she followed the boy with bright brown eyes into the opened train doors.
Rhiannon wanted to sit next to him.
“I’m sorry. All the other compartments are taken…,” she lied, “Can I sit here?”
The boy nodded his head, “Of course. Go ahead.”
She had so many questions that were just on the tip of her tongue. Why weren’t you affected by the Serum like me? Do you know anyone else like us? But she forced herself to keep those questions at bay. Instead, she held her hand out and smiled politely.
“I’m Rhiannon. Thompson.”
“Thompson? Well, it’s, uh, a pleasure to meet you. Connor Dean.”
“No, the pleasure’s all mine.”
She smiled warmly and so did he and already she loved the way his milk chocolate eyes shined when he did. She had found someone who was like her; and him just the same.

Her trip down memory lane was abruptly interrupted when a guard punched in the series of numbers that initiated the sliding open of her unbreakable glass door that isolated her from the rest of the world. Her lips twitched downward in annoyance. She couldn’t help it. They couldn’t even let her be nostalgic in peace. Damn them. His stern grey eyes glared at her with a hatred he had been told, brainwashed, to have for her. She was a terrorist in the people’s eyes for she had threatened the harmonious order of the system. Was she a terrorist? That was based on perspective. For other’s she was a valiant heroine He stepped inside, eyes cautious and weary infused with fear that she knew he felt. He came into the cell every day at that exact time to administer her specially customed Ataraxian Serum.
“You are graced with a visitation,” he said.
Rhiannon’s eyes widened with surprise before scoffing and glancing off to the side then back at the man. She got up from her small cot and dusted off her pure white, asylum-like outfit. Her voice was filled with the slight edge of distain and indirect bitterness.
“Lucky me,” she said as a cold smile found its way to her lips.

{---~---}

“Why did you call me here?”
“To negotiate with you. Hopefully, come to an understanding. A treaty even.”
The man seated across from her adjusted his black tie and white blazer. His eyes were as cold and serious as the metal against his back was. This is was a business meeting, obviously.
“Now why would I do that?” Her voice had a tone that, if it could be measure, was sub-zero. She crossed her arms and glared from across the metal table.
“Because if you do, I can negotiate your early release. You can’t like being in prison.”
“I’m in a prison whether or not I’m in this facility.”
He sighed. “I’m trying to help you.”
“No, you’re not. You’re trying to exploit me. People don’t try to help prisoners of wa--”
Not seeing any more use to their small talk he cut her off.
“There have been talks of another uprising. We would like to recruit you to help quell it. You saw how the last uprising ended. Salutarius is not a society of monsters, Rhiannon. We would like to avoid any further tragedies.”
“And what would “quelling” this uprising entail? For me?”
“You would have to earn their trust. Infiltrate their inner circle. Then once they have their plan in place, you would alert us. Afterwards, your loyalty will be rewarded with your freedom and a place back in society,” he said—eyes gleaming with a distorted, twisted, sort of compassion.
She couldn’t believe him. He was talking of betrayal, lying--the same action that gave her the two bullet wounds in her shoulders and separated her from Connor. The physical wounds had been healed for two years but the pain of not knowing where Connor was--or if he was still alive--still anguished her. It was ironic that all the lies, all the betrayal, all the blood, all the tears, all the sweat, all the sorrow, all the loss, and all the secrets were to protect one thing…the safety of something that represented the complete opposite of all the things just listed. Salutarius; the beacon of truth, and honesty, and humanitarianism.
“You are a hypocrite,” she spat with venom in her voice, “And again, why would I help you?”
Again, he sighed. He had been hoping to convince her without doing anything drastic. But it was becoming apparent that she would go no other way. Silently, he rose to his feet and slipped a picture out of his blazer, placing it on the desk between them--face down. She eyed it suspiciously before picking it up, turning it over in the process.
The image made her gasp, like the wind had been knocked right out of her with a two ton brick. It was Connor. She knew it was him because she knew him better than she knew herself. But this Connor was bloody and bruised. His bare chest was littered with shallow and not-so-shallow slash marks, evidence of his torture. His eyes were sunken and she had never seen him so broken. Angry tears prickled at the corner of her eyes as she stared at the picture before condensing enough to spill over. Rhiannon felt terror replace her blood and circulate in her body until finally seizing her heart. The blonde felt horror replace the oxygen she breathed—making her chest tight.
“I hope that for your sake–and his, of course-- you will make the right decision. Still, I’m sure you will. You’ve always been a smart child, from the very beginning,” the man in the white blazer said as he looked down at the crying prisoner.
She looked up. A burning desire to strangle the man in the white suit until all the life was gone from his eyes found its home in the inner chambers of her heart; but he was already walking away, too far from her reach and too far to run after him and choke the life from his soul. His crystal blue eyes looked back at the girl who had the same shade of blonde hair as him. Her eyes met his in that chance instance. It was electric blue against electric blue.
“Don’t do this,” she said firmly, even though on the inside she felt like a little girl.
He responded with silence and a disappointed nod of his head—like she was the one who brought it on herself; and with that he stepped out of the room and the steel door started to slide behind him.
Before it completely shut she yelled, “FATHER!”
Her scream was saturated with anger and desperation and fury. It was powerful; so powerful that, for a moment, he felt his heart twinge and then it was gone…like the wind. With that the door shut on his daughter, cold and absolute, leaving her with a choice; the safety of her morale…or the safety of Connor’s life…
Christopher Thompson adjusted his obsidian tie before looking at the stone-still Salutarius soldier standing guard next to the door.
“Guard.”
“Yes, President Thompson, sir?”
“Alert the scientists. I request of her dosage of her specialized Ataraxia Serum to be doubled,” he said—authority heavy in his voice.
“Yes, sir. Of course. Right away.”

“Connor!” Rhiannon called excitedly as she stood on the platform with their peers, waiting for the train to take them to the Academy. Upon hearing his name, his head tilted up and his eyes scanned the crowd of teenagers for the familiar blonde owner of the voice. When his brown eyes found her blue ones, they lit up. And admittedly, so did her’s. He made his way through the crowd to meet her. When he finally found his way to her side, he opened his mouth to greet her but his sentence was cut off by three short trills of beeping. Injection time. He felt a twinge of annoyance but he masked it. The couple along with everyone else, opened their Injection Cases and performed their daily rituals. As per usual, both Rhiannon and Connor were unaffected by the drug. With a click of a closed injection case, he turned back to Rhiannon.
“So, did you read it?” he whispered—despite the excited grin on his face. She hit is arm lightly, a scolding look on her face.

“Not here, Con,” she whispered—glancing back at all the adolescents around them, “But yes. I did.”

She looked up at the older boy, her grin just as big as his. Just then, the shiny silver train pulled into the station and opened its doors. The ambient chatter of the group of teenagers was the symphony that they listened to as they all filed into the train. Connor and Rhiannon walked in, side to side, successful in finding an empty compartment all for themselves. Like a gentleman, he let her go first and then pressed a button that made the compartment door slide behind him. The young woman sat down on the soft seats but never took her eyes off Connor. A knowing smile played on her lips. She knew that he was probably still bursting from excitement; to discover her opinion on the book, his book. He turned around and she spoke immediately.

“I loved it,” she said—finally, “I love how color started coming into his world. And I adored Jonas’ love for Gabriel. I almost couldn’t put it down.”
Connor gave a chuckle. She was like a child, eyes wide open and a bright light sparkling from her very soul.

“I’m glad you liked it. It’s one of my favorites.”

“Your favorite, hu?” she paused for a moment, “Are you gonna tell me where you got it?” Her bright bubbly demeanor faded into seriousness, her intelligence outshining her new found excitement. “I know that this book isn’t in the Approved Literature Index. I checked.”
A tense silence filled the air around them as Connor contemplated whether or not he should tell her where he acquired the book from. He avoided her gaze, looking at the ground; putting his hands together, a sign of anxiousness. His eyes looked her over, his eyes lingering on her blue ones and on her lips. Finally, he decided that she could be trusted.

“I…I got this book from my parents.”

Connor let out a shout that could’ve resembled a roar as he brought up his leg in an attempt to strike his opponent. However, all the young man hit was air.
“Ha! You’re gonna have to try a little harder if you’re gonna hit me. You’re too slow," his partner taunted--a smirk playing on her face. Her brunette locks were tied up in a tight ponytail and she skillfully stayed on the balls of her feet, her arms raised up. Still, despite the tenseness of their balled fists, there was a familiar fondness between the two. Probably the result of many years of friendship. Connor just smiled at her taunts. He knew how to keep his head.
"Don't worry about me, Maya. I'm defnitely not gonna lose."
"Mhm. Sure you won't."
For a few moments, they just circled each other, using their eyes to size the other up. They assessed each other, their respective opponent's weaknesses noting their strength. Maya made the first move. She let out a yell, rushing toward him, releasing a series of quick punches. Connor felt the breeze generated from her swings but not one touched him. With every punch he dodged, she felt his frustration grow. Connor didn’t have time to be smug. The young man grimaced as he brought up a leg to kick her side. Maya sidestepped quickly before getting her legs knocked out from under her by a quick sweet of his leg. He didn’t even give a moment to smirk before getting on one knee and putting his fist just hovering above her face. Now, he could smirk. Maya scowled. He got up and held a hand out for her.
“Told you.”
“You suck,” she said before slapping his hand away and getting up.
Connor’s lips upturned in a smile. She had always been a sore loser.
“Hey, don’t feel bad. I’ve been doing this longer,” he said.
“Yeah whatever,” she replied—right before punching his arm semi-softly. He let out a soft laugh.
“So, tell me about this girl you want to bring into the fold again?” she told him as she started to walk off the training mat. He did the same, smiling softly.
“Her name’s Rhiannon.”
He tried to imagine his safe place. He tried to imagine gold hair and crystal blue eyes. He tried to imagine her soft lips, her hands touching his. He tried to imagine his safe place; her. He shut his eyes as he laid on the floor, fresh from a beating. They’ve been trying to get information from him; information on the Refigratio, their inner workings. However, when Connor spat, “Over my head body,” the soldier tasked with torturing him for information was less than pleased. They young man stayed with his face on the floor, his entire body aching. Every cell in his body was groaning. The pain he felt wasn’t a sting, unless he moved, but more like a throbbing, steady, beat of physical suffering. It was dull but he was sure that if he kept enduing the same dull pain, he would die here. A dull knife is still a knife, he told himself. He shook his head a little. No. He couldn’t think that way. He had to survive, he had to get out of here alive. Eventually, he slowly and excruciatingly turned himself over so that he was looking up at the drab grey steel ceiling—trying not to groan in pain. He didn’t want them hearing that they’d succeeded in causing him pain. His stubbornness was something he got from his parents. Once facing the ceiling, he glanced around at the steel walls that slightly reflected his own image. Connor could only come up with one thought when he saw himself…
”I look like hell,” he said to an audience of none.
Still, he breathed in and exhaled—ignoring the pain in his chest. He let his brown eyes close and his thoughts went to Rhiannon again. He hoped she was alive. He hoped that she was safe, still fighting the good fight. He hoped that he would see her again. He felt sleep pull and coax his consciousness into the recesses of darkness and his last thought before entering the comforting abyss of dreams was of her; his blonde spitfire. Before he could let himself slip away completely, he mumbled something. The woman in charge of keeping watch of the security feed didn’t catch it but she wouldn’t have been able to understand the phrase even if she had. The soldier crumpled her eye brows together and stared at the screen confused. She wasn’t sure but he could have mumbled…
I love you…

Rhiannon sat in the metal chair, bored, staring at the silver door, as if that would make something happen; as if that would cause it to slide open. In the meantime, she counted her breaths. They were deep and calm. If they hadn’t give injected her with some sedative beforehand, she would have been much more alert but until it wore off, she was left to feel as if she was floating in limbo. The blonde was sure that if she had been administered even a tablespoon more of the drug, she probably wouldn’t be awake to stare at the door. Finally, her boredom was broken and the metal door slid open. The guard walked in first, followed by her father. Her father had an angry red scratch running from his cheekbone to the bottom of his jaw; a little something that she had given to him his last visit. She openly smirked. Was it wrong to feel proud of her handy work? Or was it more wrong to not care if it was? Her blue eyes glanced to the guard.

“You’re getting smarter, Father.”

Her tone was mocking and when she said “Father” it couldn’t have been less affectionate. His face stayed serious as he approached the chair across from her and the guard stayed near the door, standing watch.

“What? Have you nothing to say? You’re disappointing me.”

He still didn’t react to her taunts, he was too smart for that. Still, she didn’t mind. It felt good to taunt him, even if he didn’t react.

“You’re going to help us, Rhiannon,” he said—his voice firm and final.

“Am I now?”

“Yes, you are.”

Christopher waved his hand and the soldier rushed forward, a black bag in hand. Rhiannon tried to get up from her chair and a protest was in her throat but the drugs kept her from moving too fast. Then, the bag was pulled over her head and all she could see was darkness.

The light burned when they finally took the black bag off her. It but it was the first time her blue eyes had seen natural light in two and a half years. For that, she would endure the pain. Soldiers were on both sides of her, still as stone. She was on a balcony, she could tell that much. She could also tell that the soldiers were to keep her from escaping. The drugs had worn off, for the most part. However, there was a bit of grogginess, unease, that she just couldn’t shake. She could see the crowd below, the hundreds of citizens gathered in front of a raised platform. Christopher walked onto the platform and her chest tightened at the very sight of him, her hands balling up into fists. A microphone is waiting for him and he scans the crowd before addressing them.

“Faithful citizens of Salutarius, I’m sure that if I said that I have been a merciful and kind leader, you would all agree with me. I have extended a hand of grace to every single citizen of our society, including those who would like to see our peaceful way of living destroyed and obliterated. I have tried to give the Refragatio an ample amount of chances to turn back from their chaos and realize the error of their ways. I have offered them a life better lived but they swatted away my extended hand and they continue to resist. It seems I have been too soft as a leader and, for that, I apologize; to you the citizens that have never forsaken me or the government that supports us. For they have become violent creatures and have disturbed our peaceful utopia. They threaten to destroy our unity, our very state of being. So now, I must be more forceful. Let this be a lesson to all of those out there who dare defy the order. Let this be a lesson to those who continue to threaten the innocent people of Salutarius."

With that, he looked off to the side and he nodded, raising a hand as if to introduce someone. A young woman was forced onto the platform, literally kicking and screaming. She was being forced on by not two, but three guards. Her hair whipped around as she yelled, as wild as her very soul.

“LET ME GO! NO! NO!”

Rhiannon’s eyes widen as she recognizes the woman and she whispers a “no” along with her. She could recognize that wild, untamable soul anywhere; Maya. Suddenly, she realized that this was not simply a speech giving ceremony made to fuel the President’s ego and propaganda; this was an execution. She rushes to the edge of the balcony, only to be stopped by a naked-to-the-eye barrier. Her protests have no problem rushing out of her throat and but her screams are kept from the rest of the crowd by the force field.

Maya is finally onto the platform, her face distorted in pain as they tie a noose around her neck. She is no longer fighting them but as if in a state of acceptance. She can’t fight, nor can she out think herself out of this situation. Still, she has in no way surrendered. She glances at the ground for a moment before looking out and yelling once more as they finish tying her necklace of rope. Rhiannon’s throat starts to feel sore from screaming but she doesn’t care. Her fists start to pound on the barrier, every punch and hit stronger and more passionate than the last. Her friend can’t die.

“CONTINUE FIGHTING, MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN ARMS! Never give in. My soul, my heart, I love yo—“

Her last sentence was cut off due to death. With one push, her voice was snuffed and reduced to a gargle of pain and agony and Rhiannon was frozen in shock. For a moment, it was if all of time had come to a standstill. Her pounding stopped, and no noise came from her. In fact, she felt like the whole world had gone silent, as if the whole universe was mourning for that one individual. She wouldn’t blame the universe if it was. Tears began pooling in her eyes as the silent start of an agonizing sob built up in her chest. Her friend was dead. Her friend was dead. Maya is dead. That’s the only sentence her brain could formulate. For a moment, her father’s eyes glanced to her and even though they were separated by a sea of people, his message was all too clear. They killed her friend, and they won’t be opposed to killing Connor either. Then, the all too familiar feeling of having a needle stuck into her neck was registered in her mind. Her eyes widened before she fell to her knees. The last thing she saw before she collapsed was Maya’s body swaying, lifeless and dead. For a second, she wondered about the crowd. Was this the first time they’ve seen a body? Violence? Then, she realized…she didn’t care. She didn’t care about the crowd, the people.
She hated them.

“I’ll do it,” she paused—as if unable to comprehend that she was saying those words,” I’ll be your spy. I’ll do whatever you want. Just…Just don’t kill him. Okay?”

She looked up at President Christopher, looking just as she felt; defeated. All the President could think of was how happy he that she was finally complying. He stood over her, silent for a moment. His silence made her uneasy. So, she repeated the sentence.

“Just don’t kill him.”

He nodded, giving a small smile.

“I am a man of my word, Rhiannon. I won’t kill him. Just do what you need to do, what we want you to do, and he’ll be safe. You will be assimilated into society again soon. We’ll talk before then to brief you; make you as prepared as possible.”

With that, he seemed to think that their deal was done and he started to walk to the interrogation room door.

“Wait,” she said—and he listened, “Can I talk to him? Before you send me off? Or…could you tell him something for me?”

He let a silence hang in the air before responding.

“Alright. What would you like to say to him?”

“Can you tell him that I’m sorry? Tell him that I can’t be the hero that he always wanted me to be; the hero that he is…I’m not a hero. I’m choosing him, over the cause, over everything that we’ve worked and fought for. Tell him I’m sorry for that and that if there was any other way to save him…I would do it. But there isn’t. I have no other choice,” the blonde told her father—her gaze was far far away and her eyes glazed over, “Tell him—Tell him that I love him.”

Christopher nodded and he slipped out of the Interrogation Room. A scientist was waiting for him, clip board in her hands and her lab coat as white and pristine as Rhiannon’s prison outfit.



“Did it work Mr. President?”

“Yes, Ms. Eliot. It worked perfectly. She’s agreed to cooperate fully and there’s no doubt it’s due to what she saw from your Simulation Room. We have her right where we want her. I’m very proud of you.”

She smiled. “Thank you, Mr. President. It’s such an honor.”



Connor groaned in pain, trying to keep from being too loud. He was on the ground, at the feet of the great President. Christopher is almost amused. Almost. Truth be told, the man doesn’t feel much of anything. He sighed, almost peacefully, looking down on the poor prisoner. He liked to think that he was better than reveling in the pain of prisoners. He did care about people after all.

“She never—She never told me you were her father. She told me that you were an elitist. But she didn’t say anything about being the President’s daughter. I never imagined--”

“—Oh, I know. The President’s family is never out in the public. For their safety. To protect them from people like you; people who might want to hurt them. You couldn’t have known,” he paused, “Well…that’s not true. She could’ve told you. But then again, there were probably a lot of things that you didn’t tell each other. Does she even know your rank?” he took another pause,” ...You know I talk to her? The way she talks about you…She talks about you as if you are a delicate flower that needs protecting. She must think that you are a simple foot soldier but we both know that isn’t true. But I can’t blame my daughter. You’re young, barely twenty. You’re not old enough to understand the complexity of this world, but I guess that’s what makes you so dangerous. No one expects you. Connor Dean: one of the highest ranked rebels. You were born for this.”

“I was born to lead.”

"Born to fail."
"Destined for freedom. A fate that when woven will show the destruction of the world you dictate. And you can't stand that your daughter would have been a queen in a new world not molded by you. That she is free.”
"Eloquent, even for me. However, that doesn’t change the facts; you lied to her."
"I omitted a truth to protect her, because I love her. Not that I expect you to understand what that word means. You lied to her for her entire life to keep her oppressed and when I showed her that she didn't have to be a prisoner, she broke her chains gladly and willingly."

“You can’t have her!” he yelled and got up from his chair so that he towered over Connor—a rare moment of anger overcoming him.

Connor looked up, his eyes hard as stone and not at all frightened.

“She was never yours to keep,” he said calmly, “Rhiannon chose to become part of my army. She chose to fight for freedom. She chose to defy you…You don’t own her and neither do I. She merely lets me stand in the light of her glory.”

A tense silence settles and neither one of them make a move to break it for a long time. They don’t break eye contact either.

“She will betray you, and your cause.”

“Never,” he replies immediately, “She’s a soldier in my army. She knows exactly what she’s fighting for and why. She would never go back to the haze. She would never turn her back on us.”

“She would. For you. Would you like the proof?”
Connor’s previous almost emotionless expression broke and his eyebrows crumpled together. Confusion and anxiousness was etched on to his face. Christopher pulled a video recorder from his suit pocket and pressed the play button. Her, sweet, beautiful voice came from the device and he suddenly realized the he had almost forgotten the sound of her voice; that terrified him.

“Can you tell him that I’m sorry? Tell him that I can’t be the hero that he always wanted me to be; the hero that he is…I’m not a hero. I’m choosing him, over the cause, over everything that we’ve worked and fought for. Over the one thing that his family died for. Tell him I’m sorry for that and that if there was any other way to save him…I would do it. But there isn’t. I have no other choice,” her voice said.
Although, her voice would always be sweet as honey to his ears…everything she said, broke his heart. His tough façade dropped and he was nothing but a broken man. Tears pooled in his eyes and he felt like the pain of torture would have been more merciful than this. He looked up at the other man, eyes pleading and voice begging.

“No. No. Don’t. Please. T-Tell her—“

“---I will tell her nothing. She will do as she is told and once she’s completed her task, I will eliminate you. Then, she will join you shortly after. You think I know nothing of love. You think I do not understand. But you are wrong, boy. I know what love is. I know that I love my citizens enough to do whatever it takes to keep threats such as yourself at bay. I know I love my daughter enough to not let her continue on the path of disillusionment--”

“--So, you would rather kill her?!”

“Yes. I would. I would rather she be dead than fighting on the wrong side.”

For a moment, Connor was silenced. He looked up in awe. Sometimes, you weren’t put in awe by amazing wonderful things. Sometimes, just sometimes, you were put in awe by the horrifying things of the world; things you wish weren’t real…

“You make us out to be the monsters, the villains. But the biggest monster here isn’t me. It’s you.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.