The Man Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Man Part 1

June 26, 2014
More by this author
Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio
9 articles 7 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)


I scream as the man flings me down to the ground. He plants his big feet on either side of me and two beefy hands grab my shirt. He lifts me easily, and the shirt that I had thought of as soft bites into the back of my neck. His eyes, which are like black pits, stare into mine and I can smell his breath. Sour and yeasty. ‘He’s probably drunk’, I think.

“Now you listen, little girl,” he hisses. “You’re-” That’s all the further he got, because my hand shoots up and I slam my palm straight into his nose.

He releases me and curses. I fall and my back hits the pavement hard, taking my breath away. I scramble up as fast as I can, panting. My hands automatically come up as if I could block any of his attacks. I know I’m fast, being small helps, and somewhat strong. An idea forms in the back of my mind. I dart around the bigger man, bringing my elbow back and hitting him in the ribs. I know my fighting skills are rusty, and I’m shocked to see that I actually hurt the man. He lurches forward and I back against the cold brick wall.

“You know what?” he man hisses at me as he spins around, holding his ribs. The pure hatred in his eyes makes me cower against the wall. He starts walking to me purposely, his hand extended. “I’m done playing with you, Faith.” ‘How in the world does he know my name?’ “Oh, I forgot to tell you,” he says, his smile deadly. “I know you and your family.” His hand closes around my neck and I gasp. He pulls me away from the wall, just to lift me up a foot and slam me back into the wall. The last breath I had in my lugs escapes violently out of my chest.

My hands grab his arms as I search his face.

No regret.

No fear.

Nothing.

His eyes are as deadly as his smile.

“To bad I have to hurt you, Faith. You’re such a pretty little thing.” Stars appear in front of my eyes and I try to scream, but with no air in my searing lungs, all that comes out is a tiny squeak. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to block out his deadly stare, but I can still feel his eyes on me and I shudder.

I hear a dull thud and the man releases me. I fall and pain shoots up my shins. I land on my hands and knees as the man falls with a thud. His boot clad foot kicks my temple and darkness forms in the corners of my mind. I push it away and scramble painfully out of the way, wanting to run but to dizzy and weak to do so. A grunt comes from the man and then everything is silent.

“Ma’am?” a low voice says. I jump, not expecting to hear anyone, although still not entirely sure why the man released me. I shiver even though the night is warm and cold sweat forms on my back. “It’s safe now. You can come out.” ‘Safe? It’ll never be safe again.’

“Who are you,” I ask quietly, my voice wavering.

“Ashton.” He steps into a circle of light. His close cropped hair is dark, and his eyes any color. He has all black on from his biker boots to his leather jacket. He looks in my direction, but not at me.

“How do I even know I can trust you, ‘Ashton’?” I raise my hand to touch my neck as his full, square lips smirk.

“Well… I just took down the man who was… ‘Is’ trying to kill you. I think that would be a good reason to trust me.” He flexes his hand and I see that it’s wet with blood. After a few moments of me being silent, he sighs. “Please. Just let me help you.”

“Fine,” I say, my hand searching for something to throw at him. For some stupid reason I want to hurt him, maybe because he took that guy down way easier than I ever could have. My hand closes around an empty milk jug and I throw it at him with as much force I as can muster up. He easily catches it and steps toward me.

“I’m guessing you can’t or don’t want to walk.” I sigh and try to stand up. Stars form in front of my eyes and I fall down. Ashton catches me, his blue eyes smiling. “Okay,” he says quietly. “I’ll carry you.” I start to protest but he cuts me off. “Obviously you can’t walk, much less stand and I’m not staying here all night.” His eyes sear into mine. “So either I carry you, or you stay here alone with him.” I glare at him. No way should he threaten me like that. I set my jaw and wrap my arms around his neck. “I figured you’d see things my way.” I just shake my head and rest my forehead in the crook of his neck as he lifts me.

My arms tighten around his neck.

“Easy now,” he says softly. “I got you.”

An inky blackness forms in the corners of my mind and I can’t push it away. His smell is sweet and spicy at the same time and completely male. It reminds me of safety. His step is sure and light. I sigh as I slip into nothing, knowing that I could be safe by the time I wake up.

‘With him…’

‘Fear.’

That’s the only thing I remember.

And ‘him…’

‘Ashton’, my mind screams

I open my eyes, squinting at the bright light. Something moved just beyond my field of vision and I turn my head to look at it, wincing at the pain.

“I see you finally decided to wake up,” Ashton says loudly. Or maybe he didn’t say it loudly but by the way my ears are ringing, I can’t be sure. He sets down the book he was reading and reaches over to lightly run his finger against my neck. His knuckles are scab covered and I shiver as the heat of his touch. I push his hand away and he sighs. “Want to tell me what happened the other night?” His deep blue eyes search mine. I bite my lip hard and shake my head. “Fine… How about telling me your name?” I shake my head again and he spears me with his gaze. “Oh, c’mon. I saved your life and you’ve slept in my bed. I think I deserve to know your name.”

“Fine,” I say, sighing. “Faith.” He raises and eyebrow. “That’s my name, Ashton. Faith.”

“Okay. Let’s get some water into you, Faith.” He picks up a cup of ice water and puts it up to my lips. I take a gulp of water, downing half the water before he pulls it away from my lips. “Take it slow, Faith.”

“How long have I been out?”

“Since Friday night.” I raise an eyebrow. “Three days.” He stands up, towering over me. “Come on, time to get up.” I wince as I slowly pull the covers off myself.

“Ashton…” He looks at me. “Are you sure I should get up so soon?” He chuckles and grabs my wrist, pulling me up. My free hand clutches the side of my head as I squeeze my eyes shut. I glare at him.

“I’m sure. The longer you stay down the more your body will hurt.” He gives me a sheepish smile. “I think. Don’t test me on it. Anyway, it’s best if you get up now not later.” I sigh and slide my legs over the side of bed, my toes curling at the coldness. I twist my wrist out of his hand and set both of my hands on the bed, palms down. I slowly stand, gratefully clutching Ashton’s arm.

“Easy. You’re going to be dizzy.” ‘Obviously’, I think. ‘My world is already spinning.’

“I’ve been in fights before, Ashton. I think I know what’s going to happen.” I glare at him, my head pounding.

“Fine.” He takes a step back and my weak grip on his arm loosens and I almost fall. “If you know what it’s like, then I’m done helping.” His eyes flash like fire before he turns on his heel and walks away. I wrap my arms around my midsection. ‘How dare he? I’m the one who’s hurt.’

I pull on the hem of the long black shirt the hangs down to my knees. ‘Wait a second…’

“Ashton!” After a few seconds he comes back into the room, his eyebrow raised. “What is this?” I gesture to the shirt. He looks at me as if I lost my mind.

“A shirt.” He crosses his arms. “A black one to be exact.”

“Obviously.”

“Then why ask?” I glare at him.

“How did it get onto my body?” I ask, gritting my teeth.

“I put it on you.” He smirks and steps in front of me and his hand reaches out to touch my long, silky blonde hair. I stare at him, wide eyed and open mouthed. He gives me a half smile. “I didn’t look, I swear.”

“Yeah, right.” I say, pushing my hand away. “Look, I just want to get a shower.” He nods slowly.

“I understand. Down the hall to the right. Second door.” I sigh and step past him, but he grabs my arms and pulls me to his side. “I’m gonna have to tell,” he leans down and whispers, his lips lightly brushing my ear, “why I decided to save you.” He turns his head slightly and lightly touches his lips to my cheek before letting my arm go and walking away briskly.

I slowly and painfully get dressed, my head throbbing. Ashton must have gotten my size from my other clothes, because these black jeans and neon green shirt aren’t mine. I lightly touch my forehead and lean against the still closed bathroom door. The air is still misty from my shower and my skin still tingles from the heat and pressure of the water.

Downstairs, I hear a loud bang and I straighten, dropping my hand. I start the task of brushing my wild mane of hair when I hear footsteps. They stop right outside of the door and somebody knocks on the door once causing me to jump.

“Come on, Faith,” Ashton growls through the door. “You’ve got to be done by now.”

“I am,” I say as I open the door. His eyes are trained on mine. I glance down at his clasped hands. A drop of blood falls from his fingers and I feel my eyes grow wide. “Oh, my gosh, Ashton.”

“It’s nothing,” he says, pushing past me. He turns on the water and shoves his hand under its flow. “Ahh…” he says painfully. I stand next to him.

“What happened?” He smiles sheepishly through gritted teeth.

“Well,” he says, his blood turning the water pink. “I was trying to do something nice and make lunch but apparently I don’t know how to handle a knife.” He flips off the water and, still keeping his hand in the sink, he bends down and opens the bottom cupboard and pulls out a first aid kit. He sets it on the counter, opens it, and starts to go through it, one handedly. I nudge his hand away.

“Here,” I say, pulling out some antibiotic cream. “I’ll get it.” I take his cut hand lightly and he freezes, staring at me. I take the towel that I dried my hair with and lightly dab the rest of the blood off before lightly rubbing on some of the cream. “What?”

“Nothing.” He winces slightly. “Why?”

“Sorry,” I mumble. “Because you’re staring at me.” I lift my eyes to meet his before looking away to grab a bandage.

“It’s hard not to stare at you, Faith,” Ashton says as I place the bandage on his finger. I roll my eyes and crumple the wrapper in my hand.

“Please,” I say, throwing the wrapper in the garbage can beside the sink. “Just stop.” I meet his eyes and he takes a small step back. “It’s not going to work, Ashton.” I close my eyes before stepping past him. “I’ll be out of your hair by the end of the day.” Even as the words leave my mouth, my head starts to pound even more. Ashton grabs my arm and turns me toward him. His gaze is like lasers taking in everything about me. He finally meets my eyes.

“No,” he says slowly. “You don’t need to leave. I’ll back off.” He releases me and with one more look he steps around me and jogs down the stairs. I run my hand through my hair, the excess water sticking to my fingers. I quickly tie it into a tight braid as I walk down the stairs. I put a rubber band at the end and drop it, the longest strands lightly tickling my lower back. I walk through the living room into the kitchen. Ashton is at the counter, making cutting peppers look painful. I smile slightly and reach over to take the knife handle.

“Here, I’ll cut it.” Other than turning his head to look at me, he is still. I pull the knife out of his hand and take the pepper.

“I could have done it,” he says, straightening. I quickly run my knife over the top of the pepper and pull out the seeds.

“I know,” I say, turning the pepper upside down and tapping out the rest of the seeds. “How do you…” Ashton reaches over and lightly lays his hand on my cheek. I turn my head to look at him.

“Faith…” His thumb starts to lightly rub my cheek.

“Why were you there?” I blurt out.

“Where?”

“In the alley. Why were you there? And why did you decide to take me in?” He drops his hand and takes a step back.

“You’ll never believe me, Faith.”

“How do you know? Maybe I will.” I cross my arms and stare at him. He looks away.

“Fine,” he says looking back at me. “Don’t freak when I do this.” He shoves his hand in front of him, his palm up and his fingers slightly bent. His hand starts to glow a deep red and a ball of what looks like fire lifts from his palm. I take a step back.

“What the heck?” I say quietly. He sighs and closes his hand, the ball of fire disappears. “What was that?” I demand, meeting his eyes. He closes his eyes and runs a hand down him face, looking tired.

“It’s a long story.”

“I have time.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 12 comments.


MaTtEhh said...
on Feb. 9 2016 at 12:25 pm
MaTtEhh, Huhuehuehu, Other
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Idk idc

Jk its nice

MaTtEhh said...
on Feb. 9 2016 at 12:23 pm
MaTtEhh, Huhuehuehu, Other
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Idk idc

I actually didn't like it don't take it the wrong way it just needs work

on Jan. 7 2016 at 1:47 pm
Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio
9 articles 7 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

@LinaBlack I'm glad. :)

on Dec. 9 2015 at 12:53 pm
LinaBlack PLATINUM, Marshalltown, Iowa
36 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - Gandhi

I loved it

on Aug. 31 2015 at 4:46 pm
Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio
9 articles 7 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

Aww! Thanks. Part 2 is posted already, I'm still working on the rest!

on Aug. 31 2015 at 1:27 pm
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
22 articles 1 photo 259 comments
This is one of the best books I've ever read on teen ink.......loved it!

on Sep. 16 2014 at 12:04 pm
Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio
9 articles 7 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

Thanks Michael! 

on Sep. 16 2014 at 10:28 am
Necromancer PLATINUM, Cedar Creek, Texas
21 articles 0 photos 28 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live life like There is no tomorrow"

You are extremely talented keep it up. I hope to see this story published some day.

on Sep. 11 2014 at 1:48 pm
Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio
9 articles 7 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

Thanks Feli! I'm revising the thrid part right now. Haha I have to totaly rewrite the 7th chapter, which sucks. 

on Sep. 11 2014 at 11:23 am
Crystallite BRONZE, Santa Elena, Other
2 articles 2 photos 347 comments
WOW awesome book!

on Jul. 14 2014 at 12:00 pm
Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio
9 articles 7 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

I am! Just wait and see

on Jul. 11 2014 at 8:18 pm
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
81 articles 5 photos 1486 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Keep on writing! Please! What happened next???