Happy Adventuring | Teen Ink

Happy Adventuring

By Annakkolb, Los Gatos, California
Annakkolb, Los Gatos, California

Author's note: English class Identity Project

Brysen calls “Wing T” to his team mates, as they run on to the field. “Wing T!” He shouts even louder to the boys. This was the victory game, the rivals between school. An all or nothing. As Brysen the quarter back hunches down prepared for the ball, all you can hear from the fans “Brysen… Brysen… Brysen…” an on going chant. He took a deep breath and in a hurry had the ball in his hand, he froze for a second. As he took in the moment he heard an angry yell “Brysen! Here! Now!” as his team mate was wide open. The ball glided through the air as a perfect pass was made. The fans started chanting and yelling as Melrose High School had yet another touchdown, but even better another victory. Parents, students and staff ran on the field full with joy. Brysen stood around as a tear fell from his face. A sophomore on a Varsity Team with his first Victory. As the team huddles up, Brysen thanks all the team mates and his coach. One last yell on the field as the coach shouts “Melrose on 3. 1,2,3… MELROSE!” Brysens’ Best friend Kyle ran on to the field in a victory hug, along came running his girl friend Arianna. Brysen knew this is what he loved to do. He knew all the hard work payed off. Brysen had a secret that absolutely nobody knew. He was a foster kid. Brysen kept this secret and never allowed people to come over. Brysen knew if people knew that they would judge him. Brysen was you athlete of the school, your sophomore crush and your mister know-it-all. But after this game once parents on the field with their player saw no one supporting brysen after his big win, they suspected something. Nothing hurt Brysen more than him not thinking he was loved, or not knowing his real parents.

One night Brysens Foster mom had too much to drink, she yelled at him telling him he was worthless. She made up countless to the court on things he had never done. One night Brysens Foster sister who is 17 tried to “hook up” with him. He didn’t want to cause he knew that would make him leave houses. Another night his neighbor broke into a house down the street, and blamed Brysen. He was over it, it was too much for him to handle and he didn’t want these felonies on his record or dangling over his head. Guilt was Brysens biggest issue. He never said he didn’t do those things, he just paid the consequens, till it made him end up in Juvie. Brysen never complained there, he only listened to the rules. He was so good he got out 5 months ahead of schedualed. And he was lucky enough to go into a group home. He really liked this place cause no one really got in much trouble. He did his chores around the house and was able to go on with his day. If one other boy in the group home got in trouble they all had to speak their part on what they think happened. Though Brysen was a drug free, straight A student and loved football, the kids in the home made him seem like the worst kid there. Brysen really thought this was how he was gonna get out of trouble, but no the kids caused more than needed. Brysen one day was curious on what would happen if he left for a few hours, its not like he didn’t have a bad reouatation there already. So his curiosity roamed as he left and set out for his parents. He did some reaserch and looked them up, and of course he found them immediately. His father was the Quarter back for the Saints and his mom was a well know lawyer in Los Angeles. He tought if they had amazing lives that he wouldn’t be damage to their lives. Brysen had a lot of money saved up, enough to get a plane ticket to another state. But Brysen lived Philidelphia while his parents were in California. A little far for Brysen to pay, so he got a full time job and he lived with his boss. Even though Brysen had a job, he could never save up enough in time for him to go in the next month. Brysen got sick one night and his boss drove him to the hospital. Like any hospital bill, it was triple digits. Brysen wanted to give up after that, but he knew if he gave up now that he would be in more trouble than ever with his group home. If Brysen were to go home now, he would never hear the end of it. The one thing Brysen does that’s bad. And he already regrets it. If Brysen were to turn back now everything would end. He could kiss football behind, and his future.

4 months pass by; he actually had enough money to get to California. His only plan was to get there. He didn’t care how he got to his mom exactly, but he just wanted to be in the same area as him. Once Brysen got to the airport he was beyond scared. Every police officer, security checker and flight attendants he saw, he thought they knew that he was a run away. He quickly made his way through the airport, just to get to his gate. As Brysen dozed off in his chair, a police officer woke him up. Brysen thought he was caught and was stuttering and freaking out. The officer said, “Sir I was just telling you that your flight is boarding.” Brysen took a deep breath and quietly said “Oh. Okay. Thank you.” Brysen slyly stood up and looked around. Not he got everyone’s attention and even the police officers. He quickly boarded the plane. As walking on the plane he realized only a few seats were taken. He quickly went to the very last row of the plane and sat in the corner. He didn’t want anyone to see him. Just as he thought he was safe he sees a teammate of his on the plane. Scared on what he would say, his teammate spoke “Brysen! Whats up man? Where are you off to?” in a loud and projecting voice. Brysen spoke back “uhm i'm going to visit some family for the weekend.” In a quiet voice. “All the way to California for one weekend? Wow, your parents must love you to give you that much money!” as his friend went to his seat. Brysen thought this was it. He was caught. But the flight attendant started to talk about procedures and safety. Brysen was so intrigued by this and he listened ever so closely, since this was his first time on a plane. The plane started to move as Brysen with such excitement watched from out the window the plane move. The old man next to Brysen spoke “Kid, is this your first time on a plane?” Brysen said “Yes sir.” As the old man spoke again he stated, “ Why are you going to California? Family? Vacation?” Brysen looked over at him and said “Both. I actually am finding my parents. I’m a foster kid.” The man spoke gently back “Wow your parents will be excited to see how much of a man you are. I wish you the best of luck.” As the plane proceeded Brysen dozed off yet again. Next thing that he knew is that He was In Los Angeles, landing. As Brysen got his bag from the over head bins, the old man slipped him a few hundred and said “ If you were my kid, I would want you to come find me.” Brysen was speechless. He quietly mimicked twice “ Thank You. Thank You.” Walking off the plane, Brysen was so excited he had this huge grin on his face. Brysen wasn’t sure about his next move. Even though he knew he had enough money now for transportation, he wanted to take it all in. Brysen went to one of the shops in the airport and bought a journal. He wanted to remember this time of his life forever. As he handed the clerk the money she said, “Make sure to write all your adventures down.” Brysen smiled and nodded his head. He stepped to the side of the shop and sat at a table. He decided to make today his first journal day. May 25th- Coming home. Today I went on the plane and I meet this really nice man. He was very enthusiastic about me going to find me parents. I really can hope that they don’t hate me (my parents). But I have a good feeling that they will only help me. What if when I approached them I didn’t tell them I was their kid? Or what if when I went up to then I was a homeless child (since I pretty much am right now)… but I didn’t want to walk up to them and say “Hey mom and dad, i'm your kid.” Well maybe I could do the whole “Hey mom and dad.” But that might freak them out a little bit. Well it would freak me out. Well for now i'm just going to look them up somehow and find some transportation to them. As Brysen closed his book, he only thought about finding a computer or something to look up his parents. But he looks to his left and say they beautiful woman on a poster that stated “If you need a lawyer that is 99.99% win guarantee, call me 831-666-7575.” I knew that had to be my mom. So he wrote done her number. He thought to himself that this was the first step to finding her. He walked around the airport until he found the way to outside. Brysen just wanted to find a place to sleep and rest up. So he went to the motel down the street and freshened himself up. He sat on the end of the bed with the phone in his right hand and the number in his left. He dialed it and this woman answered. He hung up immediately due to being so scared. Now that Brysen knew this was the number and this is she, now he wanted to find his dad.
So now that he knew how to find his mother, he wanted to locate his dad. Using his birth certificate and knowledge of his father being a past pro football player for the Dallas Cowboys, Brysen goes to the local library to complete some research. While doing his research, he finds out his father’s last known location was Santa Barbara. Brysen jumps on a bus and heads to Santa Barbara. When he pulls into the bus station, he was scared and wasn’t sure about his next step. He grabbed a coffee at the café next to the station so he could think about what to do next. Brysen felt lost and alone so he decided to try to call his mom again. Once he heard her voice, fear overtook him and he hung up the phone. Not knowing what to do, he went back into the café and grabbed a table. The friendly barista named Shelby approached Brysen because he looked so lost and confused. She asks, “Are you from here?” and Brysen answers, “no”. She continues to ask him more questions to learn more about him. Shelby asks, “If you’re not from here, where are you from?” He answers her, “Philadelphia.” She asks him, “Why are you visiting California?” to which he replies, “To find my parents”. He takes a chance and asks Shelby, “Could you help me?” Shelby responds, “Sure, to the best I can. How about you wait for me to finish my shift at 5.” Brysen anxiously waited for Shelby’s shift to end and kept getting refills.

As Shelby’s shift comes to an end and she finishes cleaning, Brysen realizes she might not be much help because it’s unlikely she even knows his father. When they’re leaving the café he asks, “Do you know any ex pro football players who live in the area?” She says, “Actually, a few live nearby and come into the café often.” Brysen wonders could his dad be one of those players so he decides to ask her directly. “Do you know Daniel Windebell?” Shelby asks, “Does he go by Dan?” Unfortunately Brysen doesn’t know much about his father so he can really respond. Shelby says, “It might be him since you two kind of look alike. You move kind of like he does so it just might be. He usually comes on weekends.” Brysen thought to himself, maybe if I stick around I can see him without him knowing it’s me and tells Shelby, “Sure I’ll stick around until then.” Shelby asks, “Where are you staying?” to which Brysen replies, “I haven’t quite figured that out yet. Do you have any suggestions?” Shelby takes a moment to think about it and suggests he stay in her guest room. Brysen is surprised by her offer and generosity since she just met him.
Days pass by as Brysen is struck by how Shelby has helped him out these few days. She has done his laundry, supplied him with food and even gave him a bike to use for the time being. Brysen was very thankful that Shelby was going to keep this up. Since Shelby had low income, he thought he would pick up a job at the coffee shop. Who knew, this could be the way he meets his father. June 8th – I made my way in to Santa Barbra, hoping to get a lead on my dad. I have such an amaing feeling this new job I go will really help me find him. Maybe I can play it off for a few weeks and once he gets to know me at the coffee shop that I could tell him after, but not my problem was to find out which one he was and how reacts to bad things. Brysen made this job look simple. He drew a huge smile on his face while talking to costumers. Brysen allowed weeks and weeks to go by and he had this good feeling he new which one was his dad. He always knew what he ordered and he knew the exact temperature. It was a surprise to himself when Brysen thought it was the day to tell his dad. He got all spiffied up with nervousness running down his spine. “Hello Mr. Windbelle. The usual today?” He relpied with “Kid you look so familiar, I feel like I’ve seen you outside of the coffee shop before.” Brysen pauses and thinks what to say as “I am your son” slipped out. He didn’t know what to do. Dan Windbelle looked with confusion but with tears in his eyes. There was a connection and Brysen thought that this was a good start so far. “Wow. I can not believe this. Does your mom know you in California? Do you need help? Money? Somewhere to live?” the questions just kept spilling out. “No Dad. I wanted to find you and mom so I can see who my real parents were.” Dan went on “stay with me tonight. We can talk and I can get ahold of your mom and we can go visit her tomorrow.” Brysen stutters “.. Yes.” The night went by as Brysen and his dad talked on. His dad found out about how bad his foster home was, Dan only had guilt drawn upon him. The next morning rolled around and Brysen went into the coffee shop o thank Shelby for the job and for the help. His dad pulled up in his car and they were on their way back to Los Angeles to have lunch with his mom. The car ride was not awkward or bad at all, they talked as if the have known each other for a lifetime. They arrived in LA at a diner where they meet up with his mom. She looked just like the poster in the airport. It was all smiles that entire lunch. Dan and his mom Jill went outside for a talk. It wasn’t an angry talk at all but Brysen thought they haven’t seen each other in so long since the divorce. They came back inside and took deep breathes. “so we were just talking and we would love for you to come live with us, we would go to court, have split custody and we will try to work as a family. You can go to school and you can make new friends, but we want to promise that we will become a family and do family type of things together.” Brysen froze. “of course I want to. Thank you guys so much. Mom and Dad.” He couldn’t believe that this was going to happen.
All Brysen now thought was about his other home. And how they must feel that hes missing. Brysen decided this was another adventure and he was going to go for it.