Retaliation | Teen Ink

Retaliation

By Djhurst BRONZE, oxford, Alabama
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama

Author's note: I was remerbering in the fourth grade i wrote a book but i never got it published and i decied to try and write a book and it turned out pretty good

The sounds of the battlefield had woken me up late at night screams of men everywhere gunshots explosions Sergeant Curtis! Called a familiar voice get out here solider. “Sir Yes Sir!” I exclaimed my name is Samuel Curtis I’m a scout in this big rebellion against the Capital. The Capital sent soldiers to all areas of our district and set up a big meeting, everyone was there it was amazing so much excitement but then one man was protesting against them and he said that they had been attacking other parts of the world I was standing near the man when he was talking the people from the capital looked nervous then one of the guards shot the man then a riot broke out. Bullets flying women and children screaming some people stood and fought. I was one of those people was me except there was one thing different about me. I have a gift and that gift is I can see things other people cant and see them before they happen. Comes in handy when you’re a scout in a huge rebellion the fight went well until they called in the militia bodies where flying every where it was a massacre it was sick me I lived but I felt horrible that I did not do anything to save those people “Curtis look out! “ “Huh “one of the other soldiers tackled me out of the way of a cannon shot. “Come on Curtis use your head.” “Your going to get yourself killed”. Report back to base the Capital is bringing in heavy artillery. I’ll meet up with you later. While I sat there waiting on the tank I was trying to think of a way to stop the tank witch should have been easy for me. Then boom! It hit me. I need to infiltrate the capital. Looks like my ride is here. I climbed up a tree sitting there waiting on the enemy’s jeep right when it arrived the branch had broke I landed right on the gunman he told me to get up and held his gun at me and said to let me show him his hands so instead I showed him my fist. He was out cold. Now I had to go for the driver I got behind him and pointed my gun at him I told him to pull over he tried to go for his knife then I pulled out my pistol and pointed it at his hand I said in a deep voice. Don’t even think about it punk. He put his other hand back on the wheel he turned onto the side of rode I pulled out my knife and told him to pull his knife out and we can fight like men he made the first move tried to cut me at my throat but I countered it by grabbing his hand and slamming it against a tree I commanded him to pick up his knife he did it with a quick fashion he tried going for my throat one more time I countered it and slammed him against the car door. The only way I could get with no trouble is to dress like the capital army. I left the capital solider tied to a tree with my uniform on him. So I put on his uniform on hoped in the jeep and drove to the enemy base when I arrived I was on alert the whole time this was first time I could not think. One solider came up to me and asked whom I was. I was surprised they didn’t put their names on their uniforms all it had was the rank so I told them. Curtis. Samuel Curtis. He showed me to my quarters. When I had got into my room I had started set up my equipment. I locked the door and tried to locate the Capital’s entire heavy artillery. After a couple of minutes I had finally found all of the artillery. I waited until it was midnight I silenced all my guns and grabbed my precision bow I am a master in archery. I contacted base and said I was head to the artillery bay and to attack on my go. I had to use stealth the whole area was surrounded. I started to launch arrows all over the place when I saw the bay I knew right away it would be hard. So I walked in I say not a single person their. Then suddenly I felt someone breathing down my neck. I turned around with a smirk. When I turned around I looked up at this mountain of a man he had to be at least seven foot three he had muscles all over his body I knew automatically he would try to use his strength to his advantage but I speed on my side and my special gift. He took a swing at me but dogged out of the way he made contact with the wall and made a huge hole in it. I had to come up with something quick. I started to observe my surroundings I noticed a metal pipe. The man had lunged at me and moved out of the way he ran right into the wall he was dazed. I used that mistake to my advantage and grabbed the metal pipe. I started taunting him by calling him big foot he came right for me when he charged at me I swung at his head and made contact. I stood right beside him and said, “saw that one coming.” When I was on my way out I unclipped all my grenades and threw them up. After I left the artillery hanger I said, “ three, two, one, boom.” Heavy artillery down move in. the place started to swarm with my comrades we had won. Good work solider now you can go home now. Sir yes sir. It was an honor serving. With you sir. If you have any other assignments you know where to find me.

was glad to returning home. It’s been two years since I was last home the only thing on my mind was my little brother and little sister I had promised them both I would come back. My brother was thirteen when I last saw him his name is Zach. My little sister Hayley was six when I had left. My dad ran out on us when I was born. When I had turned ten I had to protect my family. I grew up on the streets of new Maris it was a rough town. Every day at school I was always beat up by these kids there was a dozen of them always jumping me. One day I snapped I was tired of something happened to me I had earned my gift. After that day I had changed my entire life I had learned about these fights that go on where you would go in a cage an fight until you give up each fight paid one thousand dollars. After my brother was adopted I had gave up and I had to have three jobs. I had enough money to provide until I was in collage. Now I’m back here I saw tons of my friends this town was different. Sam! I heard from a distance. When I turned around I saw my best friend max. Hey we gave each a firm handshake .He offered to give me a ride home. I might as well. So I hoped in the car. He started off a conversation by asking how I’ve been doing. And answered by saying well I’ve doing covert missions against the capital and killing capital scums. Well sounds like you’ve been doing well. Yea. Yea I have. Enough about me how have you been max? You know same old same old. When we where driving down the road I looked out the window and saw people coming out of alleys looking very suspicious. I asked max what has been going on since I left he said the capital has been working with some of the rebel forces troops. I asked him where I could find some of the rebel force leaders he said where they always are at the casino. Take me there. When we arrived I walked in the only thing on my mind was that the men who I trusted betrayed me. I scouted the area and found him he was betting so much money no wonder he has so much he had been selling drugs and corrupting the city I grew up in I walked right over to he tried to say something but I didn’t care. He fell flat on his face. I heard crying out “he broke my nose.” I saw his Special Forces badge that he and I earned for being the best scouting group in the rebel alliance. I was on my out when I turned around I was hit by a bat a couple of guys held me up to where I was able to be defenseless or so they thought one of them took a swing but I caught his arm with my legs I let go of his arm and grabbed the two holding me and threw them into one of the billiards tables the table broke in two. The other one into a slot machine it started to pour out tokens everyone went over there. I was searching the area for my old partner I couldn’t find him then I herd car tires screeching I ran outside and threw a rock at the car. “ Home sweet home. “ I said to myself. I told Max that I can handle myself from now on he told me that I can call if I need anything right before I got in the car the manger came out he face was as red as a tomato. He told me to explain what had happened. Looks like I’ll be here for a while.

I was glad to returning home. It’s been two years since I was last home the only thing on my mind was my little brother and little sister I had promised them both I would come back. My brother was thirteen when I last saw him his name is Zach. My little sister Hayley was six when I had left. My dad ran out on us when I was born. When I had turned ten I had to protect my family. I grew up on the streets of new Maris it was a rough town. Every day at school I was always beat up by these kids there was a dozen of them always jumping me. One day I snapped I was tired of something happened to me I had earned my gift. After that day I had changed my entire life I had learned about these fights that go on where you would go in a cage an fight until you give up each fight paid one thousand dollars. After my brother was adopted I had gave up and I had to have three jobs. I had enough money to provide until I was in collage. Now I’m back here I saw tons of my friends this town was different. Sam! I heard from a distance. When I turned around I saw my best friend max. Hey we gave each a firm handshake .He offered to give me a ride home. I might as well. So I hoped in the car. He started off a conversation by asking how I’ve been doing. And answered by saying well I’ve doing covert missions against the capital and killing capital scums. Well sounds like you’ve been doing well. Yea. Yea I have. Enough about me how have you been max? You know same old same old. When we where driving down the road I looked out the window and saw people coming out of alleys looking very suspicious. I asked max what has been going on since I left he said the capital has been working with some of the rebel forces troops. I asked him where I could find some of the rebel force leaders he said where they always are at the casino. Take me there. When we arrived I walked in the only thing on my mind was that the men who I trusted betrayed me. I scouted the area and found him he was betting so much money no wonder he has so much he had been selling drugs and corrupting the city I grew up in I walked right over to he tried to say something but I didn’t care. He fell flat on his face. I heard crying out “he broke my nose.” I saw his Special Forces badge that he and I earned for being the best scouting group in the rebel alliance. I was on my out when I turned around I was hit by a bat a couple of guys held me up to where I was able to be defenseless or so they thought one of them took a swing but I caught his arm with my legs I let go of his arm and grabbed the two holding me and threw them into one of the billiards tables the table broke in two. The other one into a slot machine it started to pour out tokens everyone went over there. I was searching the area for my old partner I couldn’t find him then I herd car tires screeching I ran outside and threw a rock at the car. “ Home sweet home. “ I said to myself. I told Max that I can handle myself from now on he told me that I can call if I need anything right before I got in the car the manger came out he face was as red as a tomato. He told me to explain what had happened. Looks like I’ll be here for a while.

I walked out of the casino after explaining everything to the manger and paying for the damages. When I walked over to where max parked the car I told him to take me to the nearest dealership he dropped me off at the dealership. I paid for a car in cash. The manager asked no questions and just took the money I gave him I got in the car and drove it off the lot and went on with my day I knew it was a long way till I had got to my Mom’s house when I got there I open the car door and closed it real quietly so I could surprise them I grabbed my bag slung it over my shoulder I knocked on the door. I heard someone calls from a distance “its open.” When I walked In I saw Haley and Zach on the couch watching TV. I stood in the doorway and called out to them “you two not goanna welcome home your older brother. “ Haley jumped right on her feet and gave me a big hug. I missed you so much Sam. I missed you too Haley. Hey Zach how are doing. I’m doing fine. You doing well in school getting into any trouble. Well not really my grades are not to good. I’ve been having a hard time concentrating in school. He handed me his report card he had been having a hard time he had no father mom barley knew what to do to help and I haven’t been around for two years. Zach I’ll sign the report card. And then after I do that I want to show you something. I picked up a pen and put my signature on his report card. Come on I need to show you something I ran over to the car and picked up my bow case along with my bag with my guns. I set the case down and unlocked it I pulled out my bow do we still have targets for shooting practice. Yea they’re in the garage. Ill go get them no I got I it Sam you just wait here. Zach had ran off to the garage to go get the targets I started to hear footsteps on the porch then the footsteps stopped “Boo!” Nice try Haley didn’t scare me but nice try. I’m back with the targets Sam. Good watch this I picked up my arrow bag and my bow. I reached back and grabbed an arrow I loaded my bow took a deep breathe and let go of the string. Ten points. Nice shot this time I grabbed four arrows pulled back then released bulls-eye the first arrow split in half when the last arrow hit. When I shot those last four arrows some guys had been driving by. And what do you know they were my buddies from my fighting days. They all hoped out of the car and gave me a salute. “Ten hut.” Ad ease. We all just started laughing hey I might need you guys to help me. Why? I heard that the leaders of the rebel alliance were helping the capital in the war. And I need you guys to help me retaliate against the capital and the alliance leaders. “Were in. “ all right I got enough equipment for you guys to use. Max for you I threw him a tactical vest. Here! I tossed him one of my old pistols all right with your speed I goanna need you to team up with on scouting patrol. Will and, Jake you two will be in the upper section of the missions ok you two are my snipers. “All right.” Here’s your bow and a bag of arrows and some sniper rifles standard issue. “Awesome!” I knew you guys like it. John you’re going to be my heavy hitter. Your goanna be needed when we run into big trouble like tanks armored trucks stuff like that. Ok standard issue vest and a Gatling gun. “My turn my turn!” Haley exclaimed. No Haley I don’t want you getting hurt. “ Yea Haley this stuff is for big kids.” Your not going Zach. “ What! That’s not fair Sam.” Wait you didn’t let me finish your staying here to watch the house and protect mom and Haley. Ok? “Ok.” Here I got something for you. I picked up my m16 assault rifle. Here I handed him the gun ok you test it out while me and guys go set up base do we still have that old tree house? “Yea why?” because that’s goanna be the base and where I sleep. Guys come on lets fix up this old tree house put up some cameras around perimeter and put the top higher three levels level one my room level two will be the armory and level three will be the control room got it. “Sir yes sir!” good now lets get busy. All right guys take a break. Hold did you hear that? Yea. Zach get Haley inside scan the perimeter no rifles move. Ash! As heard the scream ran towards it. “Stay down.” When I arrived at the location of the sound. All I saw was Zach pointing his gun down at someone. All right Zach that’s enough get him on his feet. I looked at the stranger.” Who are you?” and “ what are you doing here?” I’m Connor Davenport. “And the reason why I’m here is I want to help you fight against the capital and the rebel alliance.” Ok. You’re in if your good enough to be on this team. Lets see what you can do. “ Do you have an tomahawk?” Here I handed him the tomahawk. I set up some sand bags and targets to see how he good he is. “Ready.” “Set.” “Go.” He went straight for the sand bags first he made quick use of them. After he was done with the close combat area. Connor hurdled over the cover point threw the tomahawk got down picked up the rife and made perfect shots on the targets. “Time” we all ran over to where Connor was. “Did I make it?” “Yes.” You’re a good recruit. Now go more of your buddies we need to start recruiting.

It was time for us to strike after we had set up our base around the house and trained non-stop for a month. We were ready and we had a whole militia on our side. We were the ghost squad we strike like lightning and we disappear like smoke. “Max, Will, Jake, Connor, and Zach report to the control room.”? I heard the footsteps of the men who I called to meet me in the control room. When I arrived they were all out of breath. “You guys do know there is an elevator.” “All right Sam why did you call us up here?” I have something to give you guys. I opened the capsules that I installed in the room on the racks were uniforms. The first one to go towards the rack was Zach. “Can we put them on?” The uniforms where designed with a compartment that could hold all the weapons. A case for a katana and it had hood to cover our faces so no one would no who we are “yes you can put them on.” “And here is your katana.” “Put the uniforms on and follow me.” I led them to the briefing room. “All right here’s the plan. “ Will you and Jake are going to set up on the tallest buildings and make sure you can see everything. “ “Yes sir.” I knew they would be able to get that job done. “John you and Zach will be the distraction and we need a big one. “All right.” “Peace of cake” “Connor Max and I will go inside while the distraction is going on and interrogate and kill our first target then let the rest of our men in so they can destroy that place.” “Ok I got the plan.” But where are we going?” “China” I was not sure if they could get the job done but I had faith in them. “Pack up and we’ll move out when everyone is ready.” “Hey mom I leaving.” “Ok be carful and watch out for Zach.” “I will and don’t worry I’ll make sure he studies.” “ Just tell his teacher he broke his Arm.” “All right men move out.” When we were on the plane I had enough money to buy Zach and I first class seats. So he could study and I could spend some time with him. After I got done helping him study. I went over the plan with him. The intercom on the plane came on and announced that we were descending and we will land in five minutes. “ I’m going to tell the guys to start getting the gear ready.” I walked back to where the team was and when I walked in there they looked like they were being tortured. I walked over to max. “ Get the stuff ready.” I walked back to where my gear was and picked it up. And I noticed some type of symbol on my gun case. It looked like some type of skull design. I walked back to my seat confused and trying to figure out what it means. Zach and I stood by the airport door waiting on the others I saw the others. “Max you and Connor go find out where the capital HQ is.” Will and Jake go talk to people around the city and find out what they know.” “Zach you and I are going to find a place to set up base at.” Lets go.” “Look.” Zach had found an empty hotel building. “It looks empty.” Zach said. “Yea it dose but we shouldn’t take any chances.” “Get our gear out of the back and take it behind the hotel and gear up.” “Yes sir.” As I watched Zach take his gear around the back of the building I started to suspect that the hotel was not so abandon. Once Zach got his gear behind the building I did the same. “All right I’m ready.” “Me to.” “Ill go first.” I moved out from behind the building and went through the doors of the hotel “all clear.” As I gave the order for Zach to come in I heard a crash from upstairs. “Zach put silencers on.” I pulled my silencer out from my bag and put my silencer on the gun. I handed Zach a mask that had a skull design on the front to represent our squad name I put the mask on. “ Stay on me.” I walked up the stairs. I poked my head around the corner I saw four capital and rebel captains. I motioned Zach to move to me. “One, two, three, now.” We jumped out from behind the corner. “Don’t move!” they put their hands up. I had a weird feeling that this was a trap and of course I was right. Two men came at Zach and I from behind I grabbed their hands and twisted them back and threw one to Zach and he did a dropkick and knocked the man down the stairs. I threw the one I had threw the wall. I grabbed my pistol and pointed at the four men we captured. I wouldn’t do that. “Ghosts report to where Zach and I are.” When everyone came to where we were we made the captured captains tell us where the capital head quarters is located. I tossed everyone a mask. “All right we all know the plan.” The location was heavily guarded. “Zach and John your up.” Zach and john walked over to the two guards and attacked them to give Will and Jake time to set up. “Were in position.” Jake said. I gave the command for Max; Connor to move we waited for a vehicle to come so we could hop in the back. “Now.” We hoped in back of the vehicle and threw out the guards out. And we waited. “We are in the back of a van.” Once the van stopped I got out first into the loading bay. Two guards were heading my way suddenly Jake and Will took them out. “Clear.” We moved through the headquarters looking for the commander. “I see him.” Max had found the leader. “Ok take out the guards. Once the guards were down I moved towards the leader. “Hey Stan.” “What are you doing here.”? Stan said in a scared voice. “Oh nothing just getting revenge.” I picked Stan up and slammed him against the glass guards started swarming from all areas. “I would not do that if I were you because I have men surrounding this whole area so drop your weapons!” I pointed my pistol at Stan while I was dragging him out the door of the headquarters. I had Max and Connor covering me as I was walking out the door. “Zach bring a truck around to the front.” I saw Zach as he pulled up beside us. We threw Stan into the backseat of the truck. “Will and Jake get down to where we are were leaving.” “John get in back and cover us with the machine gun.” “Everyone else… cover John.” As soon as we pulled out of the driveway we were under attack. “Hold on.” I turned right into the woods we were being tailed by four wheelers. I kept on hearing explosions. The explosions started to stop as soon as we got into town. I grabbed the leader out of the back seat and carried him upstairs into the base. “WHERE IS THE LEADER OF YOUR OPERATION!”? “I don’t know… he never tells me anything just the shipment orders.” Stan could barley speak. “That’s all I needed.” I pulled out my pistol and shot Stan. He was wearing the Special Forces badge. I ripped the necklace off his neck. “All right…pack up and get on the plane.” Killing Stan was the hardest thing for me to ever do. And it’s just going to get harder.

Once we got off the plane I told everyone to go home and get some rest. “Zach take the truck home… I forgot something on the plane.” I watched Zach get in the car and drive off. I walked back over to the back of the plane. Then suddenly I sensed something someone had tried to hit me with a bat. It was the same person from casino I grabbed the bat and broke it in half. Then the loading bay I was at was filled with bunch of men that were from the capital. “Looks like this my workout for the day.” Two men came straight at I jumped up and kicked them with both my legs. “Are you sure you want to do this?” “I’m going to knock your head off.” Screamed the next attacker he came at me with brass knuckles he was swinging wildly I kept dodging away from him and I anticipated every one of his moves. Finally I made my move I used my knee to hit him in the gut then I threw him into a vending machine and destroyed that. “ Head still on straight.” Then they all came at me. I was dogging and countering all the moves they made they were all down. Then I herd something. “My head.” “What’s happening?” Then a man in a hood came up to me he had a sonar gun. “Who… are … you?” “Oh… you know who I am Sam.” The man’s voice sounded very familiar. I know it now. “Marcus.” The sonar was very strong it was hurting my head and I passed out I remember nothing after that I woke up with a mask over my head I pulled my knife out of my cut my self lose I kicked the taillights out I looked through the hole that I made It looked like I was in a truck that was on the highway. I tried to get out of the back but couldn’t even my knife couldn’t break the lock. I felt something weird in my body something like an in glitch in my body. Like I can teleport to somewhere I want be. “Well if I got this ability I shouldn’t let it go to waste.” I teleported into the back seat of the truck. “Whoa… that felt weird.” When ever I teleport it leaves a black smoke as a trail. One of the men had turned around. “ Hey… how did you get out of the trunk? ” He said. He pulled out his knife along with my revolver. He tried slicing at me I grabbed the knife and slammed it against the seat and I grabbed my pistol out of his hand and shot him. I teleported into the passenger seat. “ Pull over or I’ll blow your brains out.” He pulled over to the side of the road I knocked him out and tied him to the side of the highway bridge. I grabbed my gear out from the back. I teleported back to the house. When I got there Zach was there on the porch waiting for me. He had his rife out with him. I teleported over to him “Zach.” “Sam.” He gave me a big hug. I knew he was worried about me from the minute I didn’t come home. “Where’s Haley?” “She’s inside on the couch.” Said Zach. I teleported inside. I walked in to the living room Haley and mom were sitting on the couch. I teleported next to them. I started to fake cry. “I was so young… goodbye cruel world.” Haley and mom just looked at me. Haley gave me a hug. “Where were you Sam?” “Uh… no where I just passed out on the plane.” I knew that if I told Haley where I was she would be scared. I didn’t want that. “Miss Curtis… are you home.” Called a female voice that apparently was memorable to me. “Yes I’m home.” “Ok… cause there was a truck outside that’s not usually seen in…” as the footsteps got closer I was getting ready to greet myself when she walked into the room I stood up and when I did she paused and started to smile. It was my ex girlfriend Erica Miller we went to high school together and we were together since the 9th grade. But we ended our relationship when I had left for the war. She had walked over to me to hug me. I just held out my hand. “Hi Erica.” I could tell that she wanted to get back together. But I was the one who broke up with her. “So…. Mom I got to go somewhere with the guys.” I walked out the door and when I got outside Zach was gone. My phone started to ring. “Hello.” “Hello Samuel… if want to see your brother again you come to the docs alone in three hours alone… understood.” That voice on phone was being disguised “How about I come there right now and kill you.” I broke the phone I grabbed my gear I suited up and put my mask on and teleported to the docs the place was heavily guarded I pulled out my katana. And teleported behind the first line of guards I went through them easily. After they were out I took out the guards on the roof. This was easy a little to easy I looked in the one of the boathouses. When I got inside I saw Zach. “Oh my god… what did they do to you?” I looked at Zach and he had been beaten I could tell he put fight that’s what would do. “Sam… looks… out.” I turned around and a man in a red mask with bone designs he had a katana I stopped his strike. “Who are you?” “You should know who I am… your brother doesn’t look so good.” “You son of.” I ran right at him and slashed him in the face. We went at each other with blades slicing each other. After a couple a minutes I started to realize something he was holding back. Even though we were both tired he was holding back. I grabbed my pistol and pointed it at him. Zach had gotten up “Come on Sam another time.” I grabbed Zach and teleported us back home. We were both drenched in blood I walked us into the kitchen I set him on the table “What to you boys?” “Zach was kidnapped… I went to get him out and there was another man there that was like me.” “I’m fine… I’ve been through worse.” I stood in the doorway watching mom stich up Zach. All I thought to myself was who this man was and that I going to take his head.

After I had I got my turn of stiches I observed the way Erica hand spent time with Haley. “Erica… do you want to go on a walk in town maybe get something to eat.” I wasn’t so sure that I should have been asking her to go out. But I think it is the least I can do to make up for lost time. “Sure.” Erica said with a big bundle of energy. “Great…. Just let me get my jacket.” I walked outside to the base I teleported up to the control room I looked at the uniforms and threw them away. I put a uniform with everything that would support the person’s specialty. I grabbed my jacket and teleported out of the command center. Once I was down out of the tree house I went inside to get Erica. “Ready?” Erica shook her head. I walked her to the car I closed her door and walked over to the drivers seat. I pulled out of the driveway. “What was it like in the war Sam?” once I heard that question. I couldn’t think my mind was I blank then I started to a honking noise. I made a sharp turn past the truck. “I really don’t like to talk about what happened in the war.” The rest of the drive was silent. I parked the car on the outside of town I got out and covered it with a tar sheet. “Come on lets go for a walk.” We walked into town it was looking better.” Looks like when I took out my old partner. We walked down the street. “What have you been up to lately Erica?” “ I have been working at the diner and I’ve been working on my degree.” “Well that’s good… I’m trying to find a job somewhere but I don’t think there’s a place that will hire a guy like me.” “I think I might be able to find a job for you.” Suddenly a man came running through us he grabbed Erica’s purse “Hey!” “Don’t worry I got him.” I ran after him “Hey… I don’t want to break your arm.” I teleported in front of him. He ran right into me. “Now give me the bag back now or I’ll break every bone in your body.” He didn’t say anything. Then he came at me with a hard kick I countered. I went with a kick of my own he blocked we kept countering each other after a while he gave up and I grabbed Erica’s purse he suddenly ran right threw me literally. His hood feel off I got a glimpse of his face “Riggs?” I walked back over to where Erica is. “What has Riggs been up to?” “I don’t know.” After that we went inside the diner not the type of reunion I would have expected to have.

After we got done with lunch I took Erica home “We should do this again sometime just without the purse snatching.” Once she got out of the car I drove off I called Connor. “Connor I need you to search the name Riggs Smith.” “Ok Sam… I’ll get right on it.” “And pack your gear…. Our next mission is in Las Vegas.” I hung up the phone I drove buy the dealership the guy who owns the place has a special kind of inventory he has high end cars. “ I want to see the other cars Tom.” He looked around to make sure nobody was looking. He walked me to the back. The back of the store was filled with Lamborghinis Bugatti’s and porches “I want seven motorcycles and seven Lamborghinis.” I pulled out my duffle bag with all my money I gave him the bag. I called all the guys even Riggs “Guys get over to the dealership and come around back I got a surprise.” Once they were all here they looked really confused I pressed the button for the garage. “Surprise.” I got on the motorcycle and pulled out of the garage. Everyone followed behind. These rides were fast and I liked it once we stopped at a red light every one of us was lined up in a row. “ Hey guys…. How about we have a race back to base winner gets a hundred thousand bucks from me.” “All right you’re on.” Once the light turned green we were gone I popped a wheelie on the start. I was at the lead but Zach and John zoomed ahead I wasn’t goanna let them beat me without a challenge we started to see cars coming our way they started to tail all of us. I threw a smoke bomb past the group and we rode all the way home. “Guys our flight leaves in two hours…. and I’ll explain the mission on the plane but make sure you get on flight 5B and don’t ask any questions make sure you stick together.” We rode on the same road to the airport with our bags in the other cars I bought that were a head of us once we were at the airport and we loaded our vehicles we split up through the airport I saw three of the men that were after me “I have a visual of the guys after us…. anyone else?” then the men started to walk my way. And I did what I usually do I stood my ground then I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder.” “We got this Sam…. we can take them.” It was Zach and Riggs they were ready to prove something to me. When they got near my position four more men came out of nowhere. “Ok little brothers show them what you got.” The first move was made by one of the attackers Zach had caught his arm and flipped him on his side then stomped on the attackers gut. The other attackers came in all at the same time Riggs was running through all the attackers and taking them out from behind. Zach was just like detecting every move and countering them all. Once they were all down there was crowd standing around us. “Come on get to the plane. Once we were all on the plane more men on motorcycles started to chase us “Riggs, Zach grab a LMG and start blasting.” I grabbed on of my assault rifles and covered Zach and Riggs while they were shooting the attackers. Then the plane finally took off. “Ok Where are you taking us?” “To Las Vegas… we got to take out a man name Victor Romanoff...he is going to be hanging out in the most expensive casino…. Riggs and Max your with me in the casino while Will and John cover the perimeter Zach and Jake you two are going to be working as bodyguards I think that covers everything…. Suit up and move out.” We drove to casino I was at the front of the group while Zach and Jake rode on the motorcycles beside me once got at the casino we gave our keys valet parker we had to wait on Riggs I couldn’t figure out where he was but I think I might have an idea where. “There he is” he had two super models in his car as usual that was his usual scene. “What…. a little too much?” I just turned around and walked into the casino the place was huge filled with people when Max walked in he lit up he loved to gamble because he was so good. “Ok…find Romanoff he is going to be guarded by big guys.” “Ok Sam what if we can’t find him?” “That’s were you come in Max…Romanoff loves competition when he gambles…so win a lot.” A couple minutes later I found Romanoff I walked up behind him and placed tracking device in his jacket pocket “Guys were leaving.” Leaving the casino might be harder than getting in because Romanoff owns the casino we walked towards the door then men started to cover the entrance and the exits there was a crowd around all of us “Will and John get your selves down here your about to get some hand to hand combat training. “Ok we going to stand and stare at people or are we going to fight?” Then the wall from the roof collapsed it was John and Will they threw a smoke bomb we put our masks on and gut on our gear. ”Ok Zach and Riggs show them what you got.” Zach and Riggs approached the two guards in front of us Zach pulled out his bow staff and Riggs pulled out brass knuckles they started to take out all of the guards I grabbed my bow and looked around for Romanoff I saw him he was trying to make a run for it. I pulled back the bow string and released the arrow hit him I walked over to him turned his body around and searched him to see if he had any information on who the masked figure who took my brother was. Then I found his phone and his portable laptop. “Connor… get us transportation.” Connor was here with a helicopter I got into the helicopter I picked up the Light machine gun and made sure we were being covered I handed Connor the phone and the laptop. “Find anything you can that can lead us to the masked man.” “Alright.” As we were leaving Romanoff’s family had arrived at the casino they were going to visit him at work his wife walked over to his body she was crying I looked over at the little girl. I felt horrible inside. When we were on the plane everyone was inventorying their gear I just looked at the blood that was on my arrow once we landed the plane we all got off. “Ok we need a new head quarters and I think I know the best place the old abandoned steel mill.”

Once I got home I teleported inside to my room I grabbed my bag with my money and I grabbed my equipment and I grabbed Zach’s gear as well “Mom Zach and I are going to be staying in a hotel for a while.” I hid all the cars that I bought in a parking garage. I got in the truck and threw my gear in the back “Zach get in the truck were going to be staying at a hotel.” Once we got at the hotel I started unpack all of the equipment. “Zach you got to go to school.” I dropped Zach off at school (ok Big brother let me make an entry in this journal of yours you cant have all the fame.) Hey this is Zach this is my entry once Sam had dropped me off at school I saw my best friend Nuke being attacked by Kyle and his gang of apes “Hey Kyle why don’t you go back to the zoo and pick on the monkeys.” “Get him” Kyle had pushed me and I was waiting for that The Curtis rule was don’t start a fight only end them. I jumped up and did a drop kick on Kyle he hit his head on the flagpole he was out then Nick decided to jump in “So Nuke blown anything up while I was gone?” Everyone at school calls Nick Nuke because he blows stuff up and when he fights he’s like a bomb. One of the apes came at me I ducked under him and gave him a wedgie. Nuke had taken all of the other guys on by himself. I started to time him he took them all out in 5.67sec “Huh…new record.” We both ran inside the school so we wouldn’t get in trouble. But I wouldn’t worry I’ve gotten in trouble before doing stuff like that before I got in trouble with other parents and the school one time I kicked a guy through a wall (wait you did what?) Back to me when we got in school I ran into Sandler that’s Nuke’s older brother his family adopted him he is more serious than Nuke and I “What did you guys do this time?” “Uh…nothing.” Thank goodness the bell rang I didn’t want to tell anybody that I had gained the special abilities that Sam has once we got in class I sat behind Nuke and we waited for the teacher to get here it was a while before he came in but he looked really nervous then I saw a man standing behind him I leaned over to Nuke “Nuke take this pistol and the mask…. I’ll give you a honey badger assault rifle out of my back pack.” I threw down a smoke bomb I put on my mask and pulled out my assault rife and handed one to nuke I pulled out a tomahawk and hit the man with it “EVERYONE GET NOW GO GO!” We ran out of the classroom shooting the intruders once we got outside I saw John and Connor pull up with their gear on when they got out of the car we ran over to them so we get the heck out of here when got in the car Connor hopped in the back with a Gatling gun and started to shoot then I looked back behind us I saw the masked man that had tortured me I got in the back with my Bow I started to shooting the enemies off their motorcycles I had got shot in the arm by the masked man I feel and then I got back up when I did and arrow came straight for me then Connor jumped in front of me “NO!” I yelled a curse at the man I picked up my bow and shot a explosive arrow at the mans tire the arrow exploded. I started to cry I couldn’t believe he’s dead “John step on it.” Once we got to the base Connor was beginning to fade. “Zach…tell my brother… his name … is Sandler.” He was gone. Once Sam got outside I just looked at him we picked Connor’s body up and I grabbed his gun. We laid his body in a grave and put his gun next to him in his grave. We believe that when a solider or a ghost has lost their life in battle and we bury them with their gun that it protects it the great big battle in sky we are the last hope for the world we are the only thing standing in the way of the capital we are the last of the ghost.

After we had buried Connor I went out to clear my head. Once I got into town I decided to go into the bar to get a beer when I walked in it was crowded as usual. I walked over to the bar “One beer.” I took a sip of my drink then walked in the guys who always start fights when I’m here “Well look who it is…its Zach attack.” “Buzz off Erick.” I turned around about to hit him but I lowered my fist and I just walked out the door I walked home I was about a block away then guys just started to follow me I got my bow staff ready that. I was surrounded. “Come with us.” “No way.” The guy pulled a gun on me then I saw his tag he was a capital solider I pulled my knife out I started to slice threw all of the other guys then I was hit in the head. They started stomping on me not stopping. I woke up somewhere possibly on the other side of the country I was tied to a pole then the masked man walked over to me “Zach do you know who I am?” “Yea…yea I do you’re the guy who killed my friend.” “Yes I did do that…but Zach I am your father.” He pulled off his mask once I saw his face I yelled a curse “You left us.” “For good reason…I want you and Sam to join me and together we can rule the world.” “No way.” He just walked away and shut the door I herd a noise from the in the corner “Who are you?” “My name is Sandler…I came looking for the man who killed my brother I found them and they started to torture me.” I wasn’t staying here. Two guards walked in the door “Get up.” They lifted us up I started to walk out the door once I knew I could take out all the guards I broke free I pulled out the guards knife and stabbed him in the back and pulled out his pistol once I turned around the other guards were dead “Where did you learn to fight like that.” “I served two years in the marines and four in the black ops squadron.” “Ok…hold I hear someone move the bodies.” We dumped the bodies in the cell. Once the guards were near the corner I teleported behind them and I whistled “Hey Charlie.” The guards turned around Sandler snuck up behind them and stabbed both of them. “That never gets old.” We picked up their assault rifles. I saw a room with a big map with targets on it. I walked into the room. I made myself invisible “Whoa cool.” I picked up the radio and turned it to the frequency that Sam uses for the team. “Echo niner 5 0 4 9 come in.” “I read you Zach I’m pinpointing your location…I’ll be there in 5minutes I got to gear up.” I grabbed the map I walked out of the room. I saw dad then I threw a smoke bomb grabbed Sandler and teleported to the base. “Zach where the heck were you…doesn’t matter as long as your home who is this guy?” “Connor’s brother…And I met dad he’s the one who’s been in charge this whole time he is leading the capital.”

Today was Zach’s and Haley’s birthday they were born on the same day but their seven years apart. “Happy birthday Zach.” “I don’t know about you Sam…. but in the army did you ever get eight hours of sleep?” “Nope.” “I got something for you…come on.” I walked in the kitchen I handed Zach a case it was my first pistol a magnum 49. It’s a revolver “What is it?” “You got to open it.” When Zach opened the case he was so excited. “It was mine…and now its yours.” There was knocking at the door I pulled out my pistol and walked over towards the door I looked through the hole of the door. “It’s Erica and Haley.” I opened the “Happy birthday Zach…. I made you something.” Haley made Zach a badge she had always been really creative “Thanks sis.” “Hey isn’t there going to be a party at the house?” “Yes.” I tossed Zach the car keys. “Zach you drive.” Once we got to the house the place set up good there was one side for Zach and another for Haley. Zach’s side had shooting ranges and a boxing ring Haley’s side had a bouncy house that looked like a castle and a doll making area. I walked around the house just watching everyone enjoying themselves and having a day to themselves. “Hey Sam wannna go a few rounds?” “Why not…. I think its time I step into the ring again.” I grabbed a pair of boxing gloves and put on a helmet I stepped into the ring, as did Zach “Two rounds.” We walked over to each other and touched each other’s gloves then the bell rang we walked around I made the first move and made contact with his head he got a hit in my abdomen I stumbled backwards. Then I sensed something bad someone was coming this way and they had guns. “Everyone go home now…Riggs, Zach, Nuke, and Sandler gear up with the maverick assault rifles.” We flipped over the tables so we could have some cover once everyone was cleared out I opened up the garage door and grabbed my gear and tossed everyone a weapon. “Sandler you say you’re a good sniper take this maverick sniper rife get on the roof and cover us.” They were coming for and we were going to give them one. Riggs was setting clay moors in the driveway “Sam I’m going to throw some smoke bombs and frags out after the claymores go off…me and you are going to move from cover to cove to make seem like there’s a lot of us.” It was good plan. “Sandler how are we up there?” “Good.” I heard the engines coming from motorcycles when they drove in front of the claymores “Frag and smoke out.” I counted to ten when I heard the footsteps “Now.” I got up and took out the first target I saw on my thermal scan then I ran to other cover Riggs took out the far two on his left we did this until the smoke was gone when the smoke cleared we all got down “Get to cover.” They started to shoot non-stop with a mini gun. After a few minutes after the noise stopped “All right boys time to retaliate.” We all got out from behind cover and started shoot everything in sight. Then I saw the masked man he disappeared. “Sam I know who that guy is…he’s dad.” “Some birthday party.”

The next day I took Riggs with me to capital to take care of some business “Remember Riggs where here for one reason only and its not to have a good time.” I’ve never been to the capital before it was amazing big buildings it looked like it was heaven. We walked over to the house of the president. When we were walking I saw wanted posters all over the place of me “Riggs we need to keep our heads down.” “Looks like you made a name for yourself.” We looked like capital soldiers but our uniforms were different. We got close to the presidents house “Masks on.” I changed the design of our mask I knew there were more ghost out there “What’s up the masks?” “Were the body count Unit.” Once we got to the steps of the presidents house we were stopped. I had John and Will come with us for cover they had taken the sniper out posts and the capital house. The guards had an electrified stick to take out criminals. “Stop…don’t come any further.” I took a step closer and one of them came at me I grabbed his arm and slammed it on the bridge he dropped the stick he came at me again and I drop kicked him through a crate. “Nice try…but I saw that coming.” the other guard just ran away “I got this one guys.” I pulled out my bow and shot an arrow at his leg the arrow had a knock out liquid on it. We walked through the doors the house was huge and then I saw the target it was him my father. “Samuel its good to see you…guards kill him.” “Good to see you too but you might not want to do that.” I pulled out my pistol I shot all of the right when I saw them “I saw that coming…your going to call off your missiles or so help me I will personally send you back to where you came from.” I threw a knife close to where his head was. “ And next time I wont miss…were leaving.” I walked out the door and just as the door was about to close he threw my knife in the back of my leg. I let out a curse and teleported the guys back to base. “He wants a war and we will give him one.”

“The only way we will stand a chance is if we had the right weaponry and with Max gone who knows where were short a man so Zach I’m making you second in command…and about the weapons I think I might know a guy.” I took Zach and Nuke to a good friend of mines he used to work for spec ops. We pulled up to the driveway I got out of the car I walked up to the door “Corporal Wilkes its me Sargent Curtis…. its me… Thunder.” Zach and Nuke started to laugh. I motioned to my knife after that it was silent. The door open “Sam it’s been a long time.” “Yea it has.” “I think I found someone you might know.” I heard pitter-patter coming up behind Tim. It was my German Shepard Mickey I had him when I was a kid and then he ran away “What brings you here Sam?” “Weapons.” We followed Tim through his house as he was telling us to open stuff his house could have been an armory. “Guys you might want to get down here.” Once the team was here I was ready for my decision. “What do you want Sam?” “I want it all.” “Excellent choice sarge.”

(I know you don’t know much about me but when I wasn’t helping Sam being the good guy with no reward I was a gun for hire and an assassin.) When we were at the Corporal’s house I got a call from a phone that I hoped I never have to answer again “Hello?” “Riggs it’s been a long time how are you and Sam?” “What do you want Slade?” “I need you and Sam to do one last job and then your out.” “Leave Sam out he isn’t in that life anymore you know that…. I’ll do it.” “Good I’ll send you the target information and you will be paid handsomely.” I didn’t want to do it but I didn’t have any choice. I wanted to get this job done and over with I grabbed some equipment that I would take for the job and something else. “Riggs where are you going?” Once Sam asked me that question he looked at what I was carrying. “You said you were done with that life.” “I am its just one last job and I think we both know the target.” I showed him the picture of the target. It was Max. Once he got a glimpse of it he moved out of the way. I walked over to the car and put my rifle in the trunk. The location was in Florida. It was a long drive I kept thinking why Max would betray us I’m not going to kill him with my rifle were settle this like men I had my brass spiked knuckles in my pocket I was about three miles away from the location he was at the security was no problem. It was getting in without setting off the alarm was the tricky part but its more fun that way. I counted ten guards and I can load 10 shots in my rifle easy. “This is why you don’t betray us Max.” I took out the guards and made my way down the hill. I pulled out my automatic pistols. I put a charge on the door and the charge blew off the door I threw a flash bang into the room the other guards were all blinded I started to shot the pistols and I just herd thumps hit the ground I put my mask on I designed my own mask to have a yellow color with a dragon around it. I dropped the pistols and put my spiked knuckles on. I ran up stairs I heard two guards coming my way from around the corner I got ready to attack them when they turned the corner one of them turned around I hit him in the face there were holes in his face the other one I hit in the back of the knee then I hit him in both sides of his head and dropkicked him down the stairs. I got halfway up the stairs there were two dozen men waiting for me I ran right through them once I was behind them I took them all out. I turned the corner and say tones of soldiers in a cell “Who are you with solider?” “We were with the rebellion but we found out that they were doing crimes with the capital.” “Well I’m going to break you out once I take care of some unfinished business and there’s going to be a huge battle against the capital and the rebellion.” “Were in.” I ran up the stairs then the intercom came on “Well lookie who it is big bad Riggs coming to stop me…well come and get me.” I ran to where he was when I saw him he had a pair of claws. I hit a button on my spiked knuckles and they turned into a pair of claws. “How could you betray us that easily?” “It was easy they paid me the right amount.” I ran at him with my claws ready to strike I slashed him across the cheek. He came at me with an attack aimed at my stomach I blocked and countered. We went at each other for hours after three hours we were a bloody mess I had cuts all over my body and my clothes were torn. “I’m still standing Max.” I ripped off my torn shirt. We ran at each other I jumped up and sliced his neck “You don’t deserve a funeral Max.” I spit on his lifeless body. I unclipped his grenade and locked the door the room blew up. I walked to the room where the soldiers were and sliced the locks off all of the cells. We hijacked the vehicles and drove to the base “Sam I got you some new soldiers.” “Good now were ready for a war.”

I geared up and got ready for the begging battle of the war. “Sam make sure you look out for your brother.” “I will mom.” I gathered all the men in Town Square. Will, John, Jake, and Corporal Smith was there. I got up onto the billboard it was quiet in the square “I know all of you are here for a reason and that reason is to take down the capital…. but war is ugly and I know you all know that I’m not going to sell it to you but it makes a difference when your fighting in your own backyard and fighting your family I’m not going to make you stay here and risk your lives…they destroyed our lives and our home now its time for Retaliation!” the square was filled with chants and yelling from soldiers. “Hooah!”

We all got into our armored trucks and loaded up our gear my team was with me I had Sandler, Riggs, Zach, Nuke, and the Corporal. “Ok so we all know the plan…Sandler you are going to climb up to the top of the fort and cover us.” I tossed him my old sniper rifle. “Ok Nuke your going to take out any big challenges tanks, walls, armored trucks other rpg guys.” “That’s my specialty.” “Riggs and Zach your going to be with me so stay close to me and follow my lead.” Once I heard the platform being raised for the gun I knew we were there. The place was huge. I loaded my magnum and handed one to all of my squad. “Ready to walk into Hell?” “Hoah.” “Alright then I got on the machine gun and started to shoot all over the front line of the capital’s soldiers. Once the gate was clear we all got out of the vehicle “Hold I got new masks I tossed them some mask that had a sort of blue electric design. We let Sandler make his way around the wall “I’m going to need a distraction.” “We got you covered Sandler.” I called for mickey. “Here boy.” Mickey came out with mask on “Wilkes what’s that?” “I thought he might need one if he was going to be part of the team. “ Nuke blew the wall down. Once it was down we walked into a big mess of gunfire “Move to cover.” We ran towards a vehicle and hid behind it Wilkes crawled under the vehicle. He shot one of the soldiers that had an RPG. I went to take a shot at the gunman on the armored truck and I was shot in the shoulder. I got up because all I thought about was my family and my home and what I was fighting for “Mickey sick him.” I sent Mickey after the gunman. Mickey was fast he was dodging bullets once he got there and jumped up and started to bite the soldier to death. “Good boy…all right Sandler were moving in signal for our army.” I disabled the guns the capital was using outside “No guns men.” I pulled out my katana. “Charge.” I ran into a wave of soldiers with many on my side I jumped up and sliced a man that was coming at Zach and threw a knife at another. Sandler used my bow to cover us from above. I had stuck with Zach and made sure he was ok “Sandler were moving in.” I grabbed Zach and Riggs and teleported inside the fort. I pulled out my magnum revolver “We end this today.” We walked through the fort and checked to see if anyone were to challenge us. Then one huge brute came from around the corner he had a club. “Don’t worry Sam I got this.” It was Jake he had a club of his own. “Good for you to join us Jake.” “Go Sam and kill that maniac.” “I’ll help to Sam.” I shook my head at Riggs and Jake. Zach and I ran up the stairs two men came from around the corner I threw two knifes at them. “Drop the blade…. do it!” I put down my sword and put my hands in my pockets and pulled out a knife and threw it at the man head. “Come on we got to keep moving Zach.” I picked him up. We walked up the stairs to where he would be “Get ready to breech.” I put a charge on the door and pulled out my other magnum revolver. “Three two one go.” The door blasted off we went in shooting all the guards once the guards were neutralized I walked over to my father. “Clear Sam.” I pointed my gun at him “Well Sam long time no see how have been son?” I pulled out my blade and tossed him a sword “were going to finish this like men…. Zach don’t fight this one.” “But.” “No buts.” We circled each other. “I can’t believe my own son turned into white trash.” I ran at him and sliced his cheek. I teleported behind him and sliced him in the leg we went at each other slicing each other I had grown tired and I looked the same as when I first encountered him. “Just give up Sam.” I went at him with a strong attack and sliced him in the ribs “Got you.” “So do I.” (He got me with my own knife he took out of my pocket.) (Zach’s Entry) “No!” he had killed my brother his son. He provoked I retaliate. “I’m going to kill you now.” He was injured and vulnerable. I ran at full speed and jumped up and sliced his head off. I started to cry “Why Sam…you had to fight him alone…. come one bro I still need you.” “ Zach why are crying?” “Because you died…. wait you little.” “Good thing I still had this dog tag.” I helped Sam up. “Its over we did it.” “Yea…but there’s still a lot more to be done lets go home.” (Sam and Zach Curtis out.)

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Nov. 10 2015 at 11:30 am
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
I'm currently working on a new series and trying to finish the fourth book of this series

on Nov. 10 2015 at 9:37 am
BabySnickers15 SILVER, Columbus, Ohio

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" ~Michael Jordan~
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" ~Franklin Delano Roosevelt~

It is really good. I really hope you keep writing

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Nov. 10 2015 at 9:02 am
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
thanks a lot that means a whole lot to me

J3w3L GOLD said...
on Nov. 9 2015 at 11:32 am
J3w3L GOLD, Bonners Ferry, Idaho

"Beauty isn't about having a pretty face. It's about having a pretty mind, pretty heart, and pretty soul."

WOW!!!...This is REALLY good!! U r an excellent writer!! I hope u keep writing and advancing in what u write. Jewel out! lolz!

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Nov. 6 2015 at 9:16 am
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
Thanks I have to finish the second book and I'm going to get all 4 books copyrighted but I could send you the other ones I have the second, third book on my mac

on Nov. 5 2015 at 12:50 pm
Chrissiana1320 BRONZE, Hypoluxo, Florida

"It isn't what you can do with your strength, but how you chose to use."

-By me, I think.

I like it. You made likable characters. Great job!

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Feb. 15 2015 at 11:18 pm
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
im going to publish this on itunes

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Feb. 5 2015 at 8:25 am
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
yea i have acutullay thought about who wold play the characters like i would get probly get like colton haynes to play sam and maybe logan lerman to play zach.

writers[ ] said...
on Feb. 2 2015 at 3:16 pm
Have you thought about directing a film?

VzDeath said...
on Jan. 15 2015 at 10:10 am
VzDeath, Oxford, Alabama
Hi Good job on the book.

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Oct. 23 2014 at 9:48 am
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
please coment or give tips

Djhurst BRONZE said...
on Mar. 26 2014 at 5:33 pm
Djhurst BRONZE, Oxford, Alabama
this book is awesome you have to read it i haver never read anything like this