The Fanged | Teen Ink

The Fanged

February 24, 2014
By KiwiKobe123, San Diego, California
More by this author
KiwiKobe123, San Diego, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up on my bed, feeling better than ever. I felt, faster. Stronger. But remembering the night before, I just wanted to cry. I walk over to my mirror but then remember there’s going to be no reflection. My name is Katherine Chamberlin. And I am a vampire.
I start to get ready. I put on a black t-shirt and jeans, then head out. On my way out, I grabbed my bag and put on my shoes. I’m a senior in high school, so it’s my last year before I can leave this dump and travel the world. Crap. I’m late. I look to see if anyones around before I run at superhuman speed. It took about a minute to get to school. Everyone is almost inside, so I start to head in but stop right before I reach the door. I sniff the air. I turn around and find myself facing a man in all black. I snarl and show my fangs and my eyes flash a yellow color. The man does the same.
“The Council wishes to see you, Katherine.” he says. He has a faint but noticeable british accent.
“What? Just because we both have fangs we’re family now?” I said back harshly. I really hated all this vampire business ever since I became one.
“You can come with me, or I can take you”
“Umm, no thanks. I’m late as it is”
In a flash of one movement, he manages to get me in an armlock and brings me to an abandoned mansion. He brings me inside and takes me upstairs to a big room with LOTS of candles. At the end of the room, there was a table with four people sitting in throne like chairs. There were two boys and two girls. Here goes nothing.

“Katherine Chamberlin” one of the girl council members said. She had her blond hair in a bun.
“Thank you for agreeing to join us”
“Agreeing? Wasn’t Mr Foreigner supposed to invite and escort me instead of kidnapping me?” I asked.
“Never mind that. We have a task for you.”
“Last time I checked I’m not your vampire lap dog. Just send Mr Foreigner to do your task”
“We need you to complete this task. You have the rare ability among vampires known as compulsion.”
“Compulsion?” I ask
“The ability to make eye contact with your victim and tell them what to do. It’s rare among our kind but it is still found in vampires. You are... diffrent. You can use compulsion on humans AND vampires.”
“So? That still doesn’t explain why you need me for whatever this task is.”
“Vampires around town are disappearing. We believe that vampire hunters are back in town and are hunting us. We have captured one of them but he won’t tell us anything. We need you to compel him into telling us what we need. Will you do this for us?” she asked.
I thought for a minute. I knew about the hunters and wanted to know more. I finally said,”Fine”
The Council and Mr Foreigner took me to the prison like basement and showed me the captured vampire hunter. He was tied to a chair and had a gag in his mouth. I removed the gag and looked at him.
“Where are the other hunters?” the girl asked. He said nothing.
“Your turn” she said to me. I looked him in the eyes.
“Tell me where the other hunters are hiding. You want to tell me where they are.” My eyes flashed the yellow as I used my gift.
“They have set up camp in the woods a mile from here” he said in a computerish voice.
“Tell me how many there are”
“30 vampire hunters armed with stakes and holy water.”
“Is there anything else?”
“They are going to raid this place. Tonight.12:00 midnight.”
“Thank you Katherine”
“I’m out” I said.
“Wait!” she calls back as I’m half way out the door.”We have another task for you”
“UGGGGHHH! You already dragged me here to interview Mr Vampire hunter guy. What else do you want me to do?”
“You do not have to, but we would like if you and a small team of other vampires infiltrated the hunters camp and compel the leader to leave. You don’t have to.” she said.
“Nope” I said without hesitation.
“The offer still stands.” I rush out.


“Katherine. Please reconsider.”

When I get outside I run at superhuman speed to school. It’s already lunch when I get to there. I see my friend Melissa and head to her. When she see’s me I can tell she’s mad. She had her long brown hair in curls and had blue eyes.
“Where the heck have you been?!” she yelled at me.
“I was... Umm... At the doctor?” I said.
“You left me to go through Mr G’s class alone. He’s so boring.”
“Sorry. But hey. It’s a half day, so lets go bowling.”
We walked to her yellow BUG and drove to the bowling alley. When we got there we got our shoes and bowling balls.
“You go first” I say. She grabs her bowling ball and rolls it down the alley. She has the thing where they put their leg to the opposite side. She hits nine pins.
I whip around and catch the small wooden stake, mid-fire. It was a few seconds away from my heart. I throw it at the vampire hunter but he ducks and the stake gets stuck in the wall behind him. I grab Melissa, and head for the door.
“We need to go. Now.” I said.
“Wait, you haven’t even gone yet.” she said.
We make it outside to the parking lot before I see three vampire hunters. I snarl and bare my fangs and my eyes flash the yellow color. I consider it my defence technique. Melissa gasps.
“Leave us alone” I say as I use compulsion. My eye’s do the color flash.
“Don’t even try your pathetic little charm speaking trick. I have mastered to resist it.” The hunter in the middle said. They all wore black vests that had straps holding small wooden stakes. They also had a belt with all sorts of weapons that could kill me.
“Kill them both” he said.
“Wait! She’s not like me.” I say fearing for my best friends life.
“We don’t want to take our chances.”
I’ll admit. They’re fast. But I’m faster. The two on the sides charged. I spun kicked the left one in the face with superhuman strength, knocking him out. Along with a few of his teeth. There was still the second one. He tries to throw a stake at me but I duck and punch him in the face. KO. One more hunter left.
“I’m not afraid of you” he says.
“Don’t be so sure.” I say back. Only the strong minded can resist compulsion. But what if his mind wasn’t strong at that moment? In a blink of an eye, I run and punch him in the face. Hard. put not enough to knock him out. He falls to the floor. Nows my chance. He’s dizzy and confused. I look him in the eyes and my eyes flash yellow as I start to compel him.
“You’re afraid of me” I start to say.
“I’m afraid of you” he says back.
“Go back to your leader and tell him he doesn’t stand a chance and should leave town with the others. For good.”
He gets up and runs like there’s no tomorrow and doesn’t look back. I turn around and see Melissa on the floor with a stake in her stomach. I run over to her. When the hunter missed he must have hit Melissa when I ducked. Oh my god. She’s bleeding.

All that blood coming from her stomach. All that warm blood. Before I can stop myself, I lunge at Melissa. Right as I’m about to sink my fangs into Melissa’s neck, a great force pulls me off of her. It’s Mr Foreigner.
“LET ME GO!” I yelled at him. I was so driven by her blood.
“Katherine! Stop! You do not want to eat her! She’s not a delicious body for you to feed on, she’s your best friend!” he says holding me back. His words get to me. I back off and he lets go of me. We check on her. The stake wasn’t deep in her stomach but it was in there good.
“You can heal mortals from fatal injuries by feeding them vampire blood. If the injury isn’t that bad or if there is no injury, and you feed them blood, they will turn.” he tells me. I lean over her, bite the vein in my wrist and feed her my blood. After about thirty seconds of feeding she opens her eyes and gasps for air. She looks at me for a second, then slaps me across the face.
“YOU’RE A FREAKIN’ VAMPIRE AND YOU NEVER EVEN BOTHERED TO TELL ME?!?!” she yelled.
“It happened last night. I’ll tell you everything later. But right now I need to do something.”
“Who’s this?” she asks pointing to Mr Foreigner.
“I’m Will.” he says.
I pick her up and run with Will to the mansion and to the room where the council sits.
“Katherine. What brings you back here?” The same one from this morning asks me.
“I was-” Melissa elbows me.
“WE were attacked by vampire hunters.” I said correcting myself.
“Did anyone see?”
“No. I used compulsion to convince the leader to leave but I doubt that it will work. I’ve come to complete the task.”
“Will will show you to the team immediately.”
We walk out of the room and across the hall to another room. Inside were three vampire just sitting. When they notice us they stand up and line up. There was two boys and one girl.
“This is Phoebe,” Will says. She was about my height, had brown long hair and hazel eyes.
“Phoebe’s special ability is pain infliction. It’s the ability to cause her victim EXTREME pain.” she gives me a kind smile. Moving down the line, we meet a boy who has blonde hair combed to the side but the end was up. He was the tallest of the three. He was cute too.
“This is Jesse. He doesn’t have a special ability but he’s the fastest.” In about 10 seconds, he dashes out of the room and comes back with a rose in his hand. He hands it to me and winks. By his cute little smile, I can tell I was blushing. We move to the last person.
“Last but not least, Christian. He was tall and had spiked brown hair.
“He will be leading this mission. His ability is mental concealment. He can make his victim or victims think they can't see you or a group of people”
“Nice to meet you all. I’m Katherine.” Phoebe is the only one that responds.
“It’s nice to have another girl on the team.”
“You guys have half an hour to get ready.” Will says.

Phoebe takes me to another room with Melissa and dresses me in black jeans, shirt, jacket and fingerless gloves. I know I can’t see myself in a mirror, but I can tell you this now, I LOOK EMO. I take off the gloves, roll up the sleeves of the jacket, and put my hair in a ponytail. I forget Melissa was there. She was getting ready too.
“Whoa hold up. You’re coming?”
“Yup. And you can’t stop me.”
I wanted to laugh. If only she knew I looked into her eyes and they flashed yellow. Right before I was going to compel her, I felt a surge of unconfidence. Like I couldn’t do it. I quickly faded away after about three seconds. I used compulsion.
“Go home. Stay there until tomorrow.”
“Um no thanks.” She said. What? That should have worked. I can’t stop her, but she can defend herself. We take karate together.
“Lets go” Christian said, popping his head through the door. We walked out the door together.
“ Since you can’t run as fast as us I’ll have to carry you” Christian said to Melissa.
Before she walked over to him she whispered to me “He’s so hot!”
He carried her like a baby as we ran. Phoebe and I hopped through the trees while Jesse, Christian and Melissa stayed on the ground. We reached the camp after about a few minutes of running.
“The leader’s tent is on the other side of camp. I’ll conceal us so we can walk straight through.” Christian said. He gave us a signal and we walked right into the clearing. We walked by a few hunters. Didn’t do a thing as we walked by. When we reached the tent, Christian explained the plan to us. Then we walked in.

The leader was tall and had bald head. His arm was covered in anti-vampire tattoos.
As soon as he saw us, he reached for a wooden stake in his vest. Before he could even touch it, he dropped to the floor, screaming in pain. Must be the work of my dear friend Phoebe.
“Lets make a deal” she said as she walked over and kneeled next to him. When she uses her gift, her eyes turn the color red. She was a nice person but she could be mean when she wanted to be.
“You and your little hunter friends leave town, for good, and you spend less time screaming” she said. She stopped so he could respond.
“Never.” He managed to say. She started again. When she realized it was no use, she nodded to me. He was on his knees. I knew he was trained to resist my ability even though it was rare. He had to be weak minded or distracted. I slapped him really and looked him in the eyes and they flashed yellow.
“You will leave this town and bring your hunters with you. You will stay away from this town forever”


“I will leave this town and never come back.” As soon as he said the words, we were gone. We told the Council the mission was complete and I walked Melissa home.

It was dark and cold but I still had my jacket so it wasn’t that bad.
“You still haven’t told me.” she said out of nowhere.
“Told you what?” I asked.
“How you became a... You know. Vampire.”
“Oh. That” I sighed.
“Last night, I met this guy at a party and we talked and talked. He got me away from the crowd and into an alley. It turns out he’s a vampire. Or was. He tried to feed on me but I stabbed him with a broken leg of a table. He started to bleed. A lot. I tried cleaning it up but the blood tempted me. So I tasted it and I became a vampire. Thats when the hunters showed up. Being a vampire, I out ran them to my house.” I wanted to cry.
“The idea of staying alive forever, alone, watching your loved ones live their lives and die, it’s already too much” I wiped my tears.
“Maybe not alone.” she said.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“Give me your blood.” she said.
“Are you sure you want to do this?” I asked her.
“What are best friends for?” She had the look in her eyes that said she was NOT joking. I bit the vein in my wrist and let her drink. Guess we’ll be best friends forever. She finished drinking.
“You’re not alone. I’m here for you. Let’s do this together.”
“Race you to your house!” I said
“You are so on.” She said. We ran at superhuman speed to her house. This is the start of our lives of eternity.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.