Different Normals | Teen Ink

Different Normals

By chestnuthere, Stockton, California
chestnuthere, Stockton, California

"Your just as sane as I am"

~Luna Lovegood , Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling

I wake up to see my mother at the foot of my bed with a worried expression.
“Charlotte today is the first day of school. Are you really sure you want to do this?” my mother says in an unsure voice, but I ignored her.
You see today is my first day of school because I’m a spy. Before my parents would usually home school me on route to missions. And sometimes even during them, but today is the day that they promised me that I can go.
As my mom leaves she turns on my morning training system. This system sets up lasers for me to maneuver around. After my little training session I put on my Umbrella Academy uniform. I walk down the stairs and to the left to enter my kitchen. My father sits at the table while my mother eats breakfast.
“You don’t have to go to school. We can just home school you ya know?” my mother said with a matter of fact voice.
“I just want to know what it feels like to be at school. You know I’ve wanted to go to school ever since I started learning the alphabet,” I pleaded.
“Okay fine, take the gun and the holster. Oh and remember don’t trust anyone unless you look at their profile on MI6.”
“Ah, because nothing says friendship more than looking them up to know whether to kill them or not,” I say sarcastically.
I make some toast and sit next to my father. As I finish my short breakfast my father interrupts me.
“Oi, Charlie before you leave you have to go to the shooting range and practice,” my father says to me while I’m putting my paper plate in the trash.
I walk to my room and look for the book in my bookcase that I have to pull out to open to go the fitness room. I’m not sure why we call it a fitness room if there is archery and shooting range in it. Once I find the book I pull it out and the bookcase splits down the middle and makes a passageway down to the fitness room. I walk down a small set of stair and make my way to the shooting combat simulation. The simulation is on two moving parts; one spins one way while the other spins the opposite way. As I enter the simulation I walk up to the difficulty adjuster and set it to extreme. I stopped using the easy setting when I was five. Easy will get you fifteen dummies, medium will get you twenty five dummies, hard gets you fifty dummies, but extreme gets you seventy five. My dad can go on extreme and take them all down in thirty seconds or less. IT takes me about five. Hopefully someday I can be that good. The gun in my hands is already loaded and ready. I stand in the middle while I wait for the dummies to surround me while I stand in the center of the area. The simulation starts at any time to try to catch you by surprise. My dad once told me that he once waited about three hours, but when he started he took them all down in less than a minute. Suddenly everything starts to move. I act quickly and like always, but not quick enough to beat my dad. I stand there catching my breath.
“Good work Charlie”, my dad said catching me by surprise, “Maybe someday you’ll be able to beat your old man. You better start going. You don’t want to be late on your first day of school. I’ll take it from here.
I hug him quickly and run out. While I’m leaving I hear him call out my name and I run back.
“Wait, take this,” my father says while throwing me a gun and thigh holster, “it was your mother’s idea,” he added.
I run up the stairs and close the door to the workout room; my dad can use the other exits. While I’m in my room I put the holster on my thigh, buckle it, and place the gun inside. I fix it unnoticeable and doesn’t bother me. I pick up my backpack off the floor. Walking pass the kitchen I noticed my mother sitting at the table with a nervous expression. I sit in front of her.
“Are you okay?” I say almost say in a whisper.
“I’m just worried that he’ll find you,” she says grabbing my hand across the table.
“I’ll be fine,” I said giving her hand a quick small squeeze. I stand up and pat down my clothes. “I’m gonna go. Bye.”
I run out the door with so much excitement I don’t even hear if my mom answered. The cold London air is hitting my face. Usually I would hate it but I’m too happy to care.
Once I reach the school I walk inside and see people giving me the ‘new girl’ look. The office was right next to the door I walk in the office and straight up to the elderly lady at a computer.
“Um. Excuse me. I’m new here and I need a schedule,” I say to the lady.
“Name?” the lady says looking up.
‘Uh. Charlotte Devangeline.”
Her slender fingers star to type my name and the printer starts making strange noises. She walks up to the printer, takes a paper, and hands it to me without saying anything else. My schedule says that my first class is English and that it’s up stairs. I manage to find my classroom without any problem. The teacher noticed me once I walked and pulled me up to the front of the class.

“Class this is our new student. Please tell the class your name, how old you are, and where and what school you came from,” the teacher said too fast.
I stand almost frozen just trying to break down everything she just said.
“Uh. My name is Charlotte Devangeline. I’m sixteen almost seventeen. I’ve always lived in London and I never been to school,” I say giving a small smile.
“So you never been to school, like, ever?” a girl who was sitting at the front of the class said while chewing her gum annoyingly.
“Okay. Charlotte you can go sit with Mr. Johnson over there. Ethan raise your hand please,” after she said that a boy raised his hand lazily and let it drop back down.
I sat in my seat, took out a notebook and start writing down notes. Half way through the lesson the kid next to me starts talking.
“I’m Ethan,” he says giving me his hand to shake.
“Charlotte,” I say taking his hand.
“I know.”
“ETHAN. CHARLOTTE. STOP TALKING AND PAY ATTENTION,” the teacher voiced boomed almost as it came out of nowhere.
After class Ethan asked more about myself and I found out more about him. For example, his parents died when he was five and now lives with his grandparents and he only has one picture of him and his parents together.
After school Ethan said he’ll walk me home. When we were walking to my house I noticed a strange man following us.
“Ethan, we need to go inside this store,” I say with a plan in my head.
“Okay, but why do you need old records?” he asks with confusion in his voice.
“I’ll tell you later.”
I drag him into the store. I immediately go for the music racks in the back of the store and face the door flicking through records. Not soon after we entered the man showed up. Every now and then I saw him look at me. Ethan stayed right next to me at all times. I start slowly moving towards the door. Once he sees me he starts to do the same. Once we get outside I start to walk with Ethan close behind. When the man exits the store he starts to walk faster than usual and Ethan finally notices.
“Ethan,” I say with my eyes signaling to the man behind us.

“Yeah?” he says with his voice trembling.
“Run.”
I grab his hand start sprinting. I turn around to see the man following us sprinting as well. I pull the gun out of its holster. Ethan sees it and starts panicking. I turn my torso and shoot his foot. Ethan screamed almost at the same time as the man, but louder. We finally reach my house and I drag Ethan inside. I run to the light switch and lift it so the alarm is armed. I turn around to lock the door and start trying to catch breath. Ethan has been with his hands on his knees to catch his breath the whole time.
“Why…do…you…have a gun? And why was that man…chasing us,” Ethan said trying to catch his breath at some parts. “Explain. Please.”
I take a deep breath and sigh. I pull the dog tag chain out of my shirt and show him.
“Devangeline, Charlotte. July third, 1965. MI6 special unit. So what are you a nark?”
“No. I’m a spy.”
“That explains so much. Do your parents know?”
“Yeah they’ve been- WAIT MY PARENTS.”
I run around the house and see that some places are trashed and that there’s bullet marks on the walls. I run to my room and right up to the bookcase and open the fitness room and run to the super computer. In each one of our arms there is a microchip that is connected to the super computer. Also there is a button on our dog tags that we press if we are in danger. The computer says that they are flying over somewhere, but they hit their buttons. Meaning they’re in danger.
“Whoa,” Ethan says in the back admiring everything. He starts to walk up to the weaponry table.
“Don’t touch anything. It’s dangerous,” I say warning him
“Naw,” Ethan says in a sarcastic voice.
He picks up the tiniest gun and points it at me. I duck to the floor and he starts laughing. I walk to him and take the gun.
“Do you wanna know what this can do?” I say walking towards the super computer. “Super Computer. I call titanium steel wall.”
“A bit much don’t ya think?” he says in an amused voice.
The wall appears a couple of feet near Ethan. I push him back a little bit and stand where he was standing. The wall has a target. I aim for the middle dot and shoot. The gun was strong enough to go through the wall and push Ethan and I down on the process.
“So it’s settled you’ll help me find my parents?” I say hopefully.
“Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. What?”
“What?”
“You want me to help you. I’m just a normal kid.”
“So am I.”
“Your normal day is beating people up. Mine is going to school. They are completely different things.”
“You really don’t know.”
“Know what.”
I walk to the super computer.
“Super Computer. Show me Jacob and Eliza Johnson.”
The super computer brings up there history founding, funding, and working for the bureau.
“They were one of us. You are one of us,” I say noticing the tears brimming in his eyes. “Super Computer. Show me agent Ethan Johnson.”
The computer shows a map and slowly it bringing it to our location.
“See. You have a chip,” I say.
Ethan sits next to me. He pulls up his sleeve and sees a scar.
“My grandma said I got it from a fence.”
I shake my head and lift up my sleeve. I show him that I have the same scar.
“Can you please help find them?” I can’t do this all alone.” I say crying.
“Okay, but I don’t know anything,” Ethan says. I shake my head.
“Then you’ve got some training to do.”

I took Ethan to the bureau and started learning about Dr. Death Defy. Ethan ended being a natural at aiming and shooting. The morning of the fight was very hard for Ethan his first mission jitters were getting to him.
“Relax,” I say trying to calm him by rubbing his back.
“Easy for you to say you’ve been on at least a hundred of missions,” he says in a loud whisper.
“Four hundred and fifty-six to be exact.”
“Not helping.”
I giggle link arms with him and rest my head on his shoulder.
“Lottie,” he says in a whisper.
“Yeah,” I respond mocking his whisper.
“The other day when I walked into the bureau. I remembered it. I remembered when I was little and I was playing with girl with red hair.”
I look at my hair and back at him.
“We were five,” I say in a light whisper loud enough for him to hear.
We’ve been on a helicopter on our way to Dr. Death Defy’s lair or whatever he calls it. It’s for some reason in the middle of a rainforest. My parents tracking devices worked well on giving us coordinates.
We got to the rainforest around midday, which gave me time to nap. The other set off a camp and let Ethan and I make our way into the rainforest. Dr. Death Defy’s lair didn’t even blend in with the surroundings. I saw the door surrounded with deminions. We have to take another way. Ethan takes out his grappling hook and aims at a tree. The hook successfully wraps itself to the sturdy branch. He manages to grab me and take me up with him. We safely land on our feet when we reach the roof. There’s a latch door on the top of the roof. I open it quietly. Ethan tries to enter, but I stop him. He gives me a strange look. I pick up a pebble on the roof and drop it inside. Almost the exact second it hit the floor; it melted. Ethan’s face is in shock, but it was in shock basically for the past few days. I pick up another pebble just in case it melts again, but luckily it didn't. I drop myself inside and Ethan follows. I land in a very dark room. We take out our flashlights and take a look. We split up and roam around. After a while I find a light switch or a switch to our deaths. I motion Ethan towards me and motion for him to grapple us to the pipes on the ceiling. After we made sure we were safely grappled, then I flicked the switch. The floor didn’t go, but the lights did turn on.
“Why did you make me do that?” He says sounding a bit confused.
“You can’t trust every switch that looks like a light switch,” I say while scanning the walls. “Doesn’t the room look a little suspicious to you?”
“No. Why?”
“Because, it’s a room with one door that opens from the outside, but it just happens to lead to nothing,” I say trying to get him to think.
“Oh. That is weird,” he finally says.
“Wow.”
I start to walk around and knock on the walls.
“What are you doing now?” I hear Ethan’s voice chime form behind.
“I’m trying to find the part of the wall where it sounds hallow.”
“Wow, that’s a great idea.”
Ethan annoys every now and then, but right before I’m about to punch him I remember that he’s a new spy. He just really needs to shut up.
After about a minute or two of knocking I find the hallow point.
“Ethan, I found it. I’m gonna knock it down.”
I pull out the tiny gun again and Ethan backs up. I pull the trigger slowly, but I’m still knocked down. Ethan walks up to me and extends his hand. I take it and drag him over to one side of the hole in the wall. I pull out my gun and Ethan pulls his out. I peak my head inside and sigh. I put my gun back in my holster and to my parents. They are tied to metal tables with chains. When they see my they start squirming and my mother starts crying. I aim my wrist towards the chains and hit a button on my bracelet. A laser comes out from the side, but before I cut it I hear am unfamiliar voice.
“Well. Well. Well. For if it isn’t little Charlotte Devangeline. And a guest.”
My jaw is clenched and my gun is pointed towards him.
“Also, Dr. Death Defy says while walking through the hole, “what’s up with all you agents breaking things. Did you not trying using the light switch again? When you flick it again a door opens to this room. You didn’t need to break the damn door.”
“The first problem on my mind,” I say with sarcasm.
“Did you not think I wasn’t going to see you? There’s a camera right there,” Dr. Death Defy says while pointing to the corner.
Without losing eye contact with Dr. Death Defy, I swing my arm back, shoot the camera, and point it to Dr. Death again.
“Wow. That costs a lot of money,” he says.
“WHY?” I say screaming.
“Calm down sweetie,” Dr. Death says with a smirk.
“Don’t call me that.”
“What don’t you remember me?” he asks.
I stay silent.
“Let me remind you. When you were five, I kidnapped you from your parents when you were at school. Then some lousy agents came over to take me down but”, Dr. Death looks over at Ethan and smiles,”we took care of them. Now if you think you are just going to walk out like nothing”, Dr. Death pulls out a gun and aims towards my face, “You have another thing coming.”
Those were the last words Dr. Death Defy said before Ethan shot him.