Brazilian Karma | Teen Ink

Brazilian Karma

By Holly Morrison, manchester, Missouri
Holly Morrison, Manchester, Missouri

The brazilian prison was crowded and reeked of swine and mold. Men were picking fights left and right and Ryan hadn't eaten in days. The only thing on Ryan’s mind was either freedom or ways he could kill himself to escape this cruel reality. How did some average american boy end up in a hell hole like this? It all started about a month ago.

Twenty-five year old Ryan Lynch was living the life. He was settled in a lavish apartment in Los Angeles, California with his three friends whom he met in college, Matt, James, and Shay. Matt was the outgoing one and amazing with the ladies. James was the funny one and the favorite of the group...but the ladies didn’t favorite him so much. Then there was Shay, Shay was the brain of the three and was Ryan’s closest friend. Ryan was the ring leader.

His life consisted of three main things; money, partying and sex. As a club promoter for one of the most popular clubs in Hollywood this all came pretty easily to him. Ryan had not a care in the world and lived without consequence and spent his weekends at Hollywood hotspots, hustling his way into V.I.P rooms and making sure he was constantly being surrounded by celebrities. He drank Equist champagne and did expensive drugs and slept with as many girls as he wanted. In his head his life was perfect, but he was always hungry for something more, so when a peculiar man approached him one late night at a Los Angeles nightclub with the promise of a great fortune in return for a small minor favor, it’s no surprise Ryan didn’t think twice before compilying

“All expenses paid trip to Brazil and when you return home a hundred grand will be waiting for you!” exclaimed the man in a thick exotic accent.

Ryan examined him. He looked to be in his 30s and was extremely well groomed. Suit and tie with a flashy golden watch and you could tell by the stern look on his face that he meant business.

“What’s the catch?” Ryan asked.

“No catch” replied the man.

Ryan looked in shock.

“Except…” The man continued. “On your trip home you will have to bring back a couple of…products for me” the man said slyly.

Now Ryan understood what this man wanted. He wanted Ryan to smuggle drugs back in the United States. In most cases, any sane person would run away right now. But instead, Ryan sat there and pondered about all the things he could buy and do with 100,000 dollars in his pocket. He looked back at the man and asked him one simple question.

“How?”

A smile spread across the man’s face.

“Very easily” he started. “ You will stay in Brazil for a few days, have some fun, go out, drink and then you'll be asked to pick up a package and take it back to the states. My friends in Brazil are professionals at this, in all our years in the business not even a single person has ever been caught.”

This answer satisfied Ryan enough.

“Can I bring my friends?” he asked

“Why of course, in fact it's encouraged!” replied the man.

“Then I’m in,” stated Ryan.

The man smiled again as he shook Ryan’s hand. He asked for Ryan’s number and said that they would soon be in touch, and with that the man was lost into the pool of sweaty people again as if he had never appeared.

The next morning Ryan introduced his idea to his friends and though skeptical at first , after Ryan offered them each 5 grand of his earnings they were persuaded.

A few days went by after his encounter with the man until he called
“Hello Ryan? This is Juan Pablo from the club the other night!” he began enthusiastically.

The conversation was brief and Juan explained they would be leaving on Saturday and that the tickets would be their mailbox by Thursday and a cab and hotel would be prepared for them upon their arrival.

As the day came for their departure the boys packed up their belongings ready for an adventure and excited to explore a new country. But mostly the four friends tried not to think about the inevitable task they would be forced to complete at the end of their journey.

When they reached the L.A.X airport they did the normal things people do before taking off. They went through security, got their bags checked and milled around the boarding gate of their flight before it was time to depart. Soon the plane finally arrived, easing their nerves.

Before boarding the plane to Brazil, Ryan made a quick call to his father who lived closed by and someone Ryan spoke to often. Ryan explain he would be going to San Francisco for a few days and might be out of touch. After this quick conversation he hung up the phone and boarded the plane with his three buddies.

Excitement filled his veins as the plane took off. He felt like he was on top of the world. He felt like he was going places.

To Ryan and his friends this trip wasn't about the exporting of illegal drugs back to America, to them they were going on a vacation to an exotic country and the drug smuggling was just a minor detail.

As they arrived in Brazil the mix of alcohol burning cars, jet fuel and tropical weather filled the aroma of their senses. As they rode in a taxi through the city of Sao Paulo it gave them a pretty good overview of what life was like in Brazil. Chaotic and colorful. Shay flashed Ryan a look of excitement and approval. Leaving Ryan satisfied knowing his friends were happy to be here despite their skepticism at first.

The hotel they were staying at was lavish, it had three bedrooms and a rooftop pool. The four friends milled around the pool and inside for a few hours until a knock was heard on their door. Matt ran to answer it but Ryan stopped him and told him it was for him. Ryan brushed Matt aside as he opened the hotel door “Hello,” Said the man standing in the hallway. “I’m Hernandez, a friend of Juan Pablo” he continued. Ryan nodded. “Care to grab a bite?” he suggested. Ryan complied and the two walked to a corner bakery.

Hernandez began to explain to him what would be happening over the course of the next few days but his voice seemed to drain out when he pulled out a stack of cash and handed it to Ryan. The only thing Ryan could really remember from the conversation with Hernandez was “Have fun”. And that’s exactly what Ryan planned to do.

That night the boys did what did best and that was party. They made their way into Brazilian clubs. The guys stuck out like sore thumbs with their American talk and dress, however the ladies didn’t seem to mind too much. That night was one to remember, full of dancing, drinking and the fact they were in Brazil with a wad of cash to spend made it all the better.

However, the next morning awaited a rude wake up call. They guys awoke to a loud banging on the door. Ryan put on his shirt and rushed to open it, his ears still ringing from the night before. It was Hernandez who pushed Ryan aside and stepped right into their hotel room without asking. “Get your stuff together” He announced. “Were leaving”. The boys gave each other looks of confusion as they gathered up their things in a rush. An unsettling feeling arose from deep inside of Ryan’s stomach.

Hernandez shooed the boys into a car and swerved off. No one asked questions. They weren’t allowed to.

After hours of traveling in silence, the car finally arrived at a crummy motel near the gruesome slums of brazil. Hernandez quickly showed them to their new room which looked like a shack compared to their first hotel. He then pulled out a black briefcase and set it on the bed. Ryan’s face got hot already knowing what was in that briefcase before he opened it.

With the click of two latches on the side of the case it opened revealing what looked like pounds and pounds of cocaine. Right then and there is when reality smacked Ryan in the face like a brick wall. Hernandez told the boys they would be leaving for their journey home tomorrow and the contents of this suitcase would be going with them.

When the morning birds just started to sing that same pounding knock awoke them as it did yesterday. The boys pulled themselves out of bed, hardly able to get a wink of sleep. Ryan opened it and Hernandez’s familiar face and intense attitude awaited there at the doorway as usual. “Ready?” he asked. Ryan nodded even though he was the farthest thing from.

As they exited the motel he told them they would be making one more quick stop. They boys entered the car and Hernandez drove deeper and deeper into the dangerous slums of Brazil. Graffi and poverty was everywhere and the stinging smell of the homeless and pollution could not be escaped.

They then arrived at yet another hotel. This one worse than the one’s before, however they would not be spending the night here. They walked into the small cramped room and Hernandez told them to take off their shirts. The guys complied and almost immediately Hernandez began taping stacks and stacks of cocain around their bodies. They began to sweat hard, both from the Brazilian heat and the nerves that echoed from every inch of their bodies. The tape pinched his skin and he could hardly breath. He felt as if at any moment he would just collapse to the ground but he didn’t. Instead he just walked as Hernandez escorted them back into the car.

After yet another silent car ride they arrived at the airport. Hernandez open the doors for them and helped them gather their luggage then motioned them to go inside and didn’t leave until they did so.

When they entered the airport all they were focused on was blending in. With every step Ryan took the tape holding the cocaine to his chest pinched his skin giving him a painful constant reminder of what was hiding under his shirt. Sweat dripped down their bodies and every security camera and every police officer that walked passed them felt like an obstacle in the completion of their journey.

Finally they reached airport customs. If they made it through here they would be able to go about the rest of their trip in peace, but if they didn’t… well Ryan didn’t even want to think about what would happen if they didn’t. Making it through here necessary, it wasn't an option. While they stood in line Ryan looked about his surroundings and noticed an overwhelming amount of men in black suits. However, he soon figured out these weren't just men in black suits, they were police officers and one of them was walking towards him. At this point Ryan thought he was a goner, but the officer surprised him walked right passed him and put his hand on his buddy James’s shoulder instead of his. James turned and looked in utter fear. The officer then moved his hand and poked the side of James’s chest. Right where the drugs had been tapped down.

Ryan wanted to pass out and collapse on the ground. Matt and Shay halted as James was being felt, but Ryan kept moving forward with the line attempting to leave his friends behind. Maybe I can still make it, maybe there is still hope for me he thought to himself. But shortly after Ryan felt a cold hand grasp his shoulder and at that point Ryan knew he was done.

“You come too” said the man. And Ryan did. They followed him through the airport along with his friends handcuffed. He couldn't believe this was happening. He was waiting for someone to pinch him so he could wake up from this nightmare. But no matter how much he tried, he couldn't wake himself up from this reality.

They led the guys into a back room and commanded for them to take of their shirts. The boys looked at each other for a brief moment and then compiled, revealing the pounds of illegal drugs that had been tapped and wrapped around their bodies.

The customs officer smirked. The police officer’s faced glowed. Both equally satisfied with what they had just discovered.

They then led Matt, Shay, James and Ryan into a police car and shipped them off to the federal prison in downtown Sao Paulo.

The prison was dirty, noisy and crowded. Criminals were packed into sells like cargo with their hands wrapped around the cell’s bar and their heads sticking out of cracks shouting “Porcos americanos” American swine. As Ryan and his friends walked by. The police officer then unlatched a door into a crammed cell and pushed them inside and closed the door behind them with a startling bang. Ryan knew this was the worst time and place to be an American.

Weeks went by and Ryan was exhausted and weak. The conditions in this prison were horrendous. Mold and bugs were everywhere you turned, and Ryan and his friends were constantly being beaten and slandered by other inmates.

But it was one notably hot day in the cell when Shay turned to Ryan and said the words he knew Ryan didn’t want to hear the most. “Call your dad” Shay said. “He’s an attorney Ryan, he is our only hope” he begged.

Ryan wanted to snap back and explain to him he couldn't call his dad. How could he explain this to him? But Shay was right, his dad was their only hope. So Ryan got up and called the guard over. He offered the guard the little money he had earned from gambling inside the prison in exchange for a phone call and the guard complied.

He punched in his father’s number and a familiar welcoming “Hello?” from his Dad rang through his ears.

“Dad?” Ryan said.

“Ryan?” his dad questioned.

“Where are you? You sound far away,” he continued.

“That’s because I am,” Ryan’s voiced shaked.

The words then spilled out of his mouth like word vomit. He explained everything. His dad then assured Ryan he was on his way and that he just called the American embassy in Brazil.

“You’re tough as nails Ryan, you just gotta suck it up and I’ll be down there as soon as I can. Just don’t let anything happen to you,” his dad’s voice quivered.

“I love you Dad,” Ryan said.

“I love you too, son,” and hung up the phone.

A few day’s later the boys were transported to the courthouse for their court date and there was still no sign of Ryan’s dad.

Matt, Shay, James, and Ryan sat in a room while their attorney argued in Portuguese to the judge.

After hours of sitting, the attorney left and they followed behind.

“Twenty Five years in federal prison” his attorney said to them.

Ryan’s soul dropped to the ground in hearing this. This cannot be happening he thought to himself. Ryan turned to look at his once best friend Shay for comfort but Shay just stared back in utter hatred towards Ryan. Their lives were done, and it was all Ryan’s fault.

The police officers then escorted them back to the federal prison from the courthouse and shoved them back into the hell hole they had been living in for the past month. Ryan laid on the ground and attempted to escape into his dreams. The next morning, he was shaken awake by an officer.

“Get up and follow me” He said.

Ryan did as he was told and followed him out of the cell. Standing there was Ryan’s father. He felt as if he were seeing an angel. His father ran to Ryan and embraced him.

“I told you I would come” He said

“I never doubted it” Replied Ryan.

“I've hired you a lawyer and if all things go well we will have you out of here in a year” Said his dad.

This stung. Ryan wanted out now. But he knew a year was the absolute best anyone could do.

“What about my friends?” Ryan asked

His dad sighed.

“There is nothing I can do for them.” he said sternly.

Ryan nodded.

“So when is my next court date?” he asked.

“As soon as we can get you one” His dad smiled.

Ryan sat there looking into his Dad’s eyes, and for the first time in what felt like forever Ryan finally felt okay. He finally saw that there was maybe a light at the end of this very long and terrible tunnel.

25 Years Later

Ryan woke up to the birds singing just like every other morning in his comfy ranch styled home nestled in a small california town. His wife was on a business trip and his son had been shipped off to college a few months ago. He rose from his bed and walked into the kitchen to brew himself a cup of coffee to wake himself up. As he made his cup of coffee to gazed at the pictures on the mantel above the kitchen counter. They showed pictures of him and his wife on their wedding day and pictures of his son when he was just a little infant. Ryan smiled. After his coffee was done brewing he poured it into a mug and settled down to enjoy the morning paper when suddenly there was a pounding on his door.

Ryan got up from his easy chair confused as to why anyone would pound on his door so rudely. He figured it was the neighbor who was always getting upset over the littlest things. But when he opened to door, he saw it wasn't his neighbor’s at all. Three middle aged men looking pale and weak all l stared back at Ryan.

“I’m sorry, but who are you?” Ryan asked.

One of the men smirked.

“Oh you don’t remember us?” The man asked.

“Uh, I’m afraid not” Replied Ryan adjusting his glasses.

“Well we remember you” The man said as he pulled out a black shot gun and fired three times leaving Ryan laying on the ground lifelessly.

“You took away our life away” One of the men said “And now it was our turn to take yours away”

The three men started to laughed hysterically as they ran away from the scene.