S.U.P.E.R. | Teen Ink

S.U.P.E.R.

By Sugar-Free47, Baltic, South Dakota
Sugar-Free47, Baltic, South Dakota

"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." -Mark Twain.

Author's note: I was inspired by buddy comedies like Sam and Cat, Sanjay and Craig,etc. So I took the idea and gave the friends superpowers.

Fourteen year old Sarah Dauser was running in a park in New York City. She was practicing for sport season in the fall. Sarah was sprinting when she noticed a white car out of the corner of her eye. She saw someone exit the car and walk towards the park. Sarah ignored the person and kept running.

She passed a girl about her age sitting on a bench. She wore a long, black trench coat with a fur collar. She had a matching hat and sunglasses that covered her entire face. She wore tall black leather boots and matching leather gloves.
Sarah ran past her three times before she spoke up.
“Sarah Dauser,” the girl said in a hushed business-like voice.
Sarah turned around and looked at the girl.
“You do know that it’s summer. Aren’t you baking in that thing?” Sarah asked sarcastically.
“Are you Sarah Dauser?”
“Yeah,”
“My name is Rachel Abbot. And I work for a secret organization called S.U.P.E.R. and we want to recruit you,”
“What?”
“You have special abilities, and we want to train you to use them properly,”
“I don’t have special abilities; I’m just a natural born athlete in track, and volleyball, and basketball, and cross-country, and cheerleading, and practically every other sport, except football. I hate that sport,”
“Something tells me you’re not just a natural born athlete,”
Sarah shrugged her shoulders in agreement.
Rachel reached into her pocket and pulled out a business card. She held it out to Sarah. Sarah accepted the card. She looked at it and read the card aloud.

“S.U.P.E.R.- Secret Undercover Pre-Adults Eradicate Reprobates. And there’s a phone number listed. Look, I think…,”Sarah read. Sarah looked back up and Rachel had disappeared.

Sarah came back home to her apartment where she lived with her adoptive mother Irene. Irene worked on Wall Street who also painted as a hobby. She was installing a shelf when Sarah came home.
“Sarah, could you help me with this shelf? You’re so strong and I’m so old,” Irene said dramatically.
“Sure,” Sarah replied as she tossed her keys in a tray.
Sarah crouched underneath the shelf and lifted it so it was even on both sides. Irene drilled the screws into the wall.
“Are we even allowed to put up this shelf?” Sarah asked.
“Like we care,” Irene chuckled.
Irene went to the other side of the shelf.
“How was training for volleyball and cross-country?” Irene questioned.
“Great,” Sarah said with enthusiasm.
Sarah pondered if she should tell Irene about Rachel and the card. But before she could mention it, Irene finished installing the shelf.
“There we go, thanks for helping me Sarah,” Irene praised.
“You’re welcome,” Sarah said.
Sarah walked over to the fridge and opened the door. She got a bottle of water out of the drawer and closed the fridge. Sarah looked at a newspaper clipping of her crossing the finish line at a track meet. The headline read “Newcomer Finishes First and Sets Record.” Sarah smiled with pride.
“I’m going to get ready for work,” Irene said.
“Okay,” Sarah replied.
“Why don’t you change into some comfortable clean clothes?”
Sarah rolled her eyes and went into her room. She changed into a green sweater and skinny jeans. She pulled her dark red hair out of a ponytail and brushed it.
She picked up her dirty workout clothes and threw them in the hamper. She turned around to leave, but stopped herself. Sarah grabbed her workout pants out of the hamper and pulled the business card out of her pocket.
Sarah brought the card to her bed. She questioned the idea of calling the number. She looked up at her wall. She had medals, trophies, and ribbons that she won in her sport competitions. She thought about all the newspaper clippings on the refrigerator, most of them about her accomplishments in sports. Sarah thought long and hard. Sarah then thought about what Rachel said.
“I don’t have special abilities; I’m just a natural born athlete,” Sarah remembered saying.
“Something tells me you’re more than just a natural born athlete,” Rachel had argued.
Sarah’s thoughts were interrupted by Irene’s voice.
“Sarah, I’m leaving for work!” Irene shouted.
“Okay, bye!” Sarah yelled back.
“Bye!”
Sarah thought about the card, the awards, and the newspaper clippings, and what Rachel said again. Finally, she made her decision.
Sarah dialed the number on her cell phone and listened to the phone ring.
“I can’t believe I did this. I can’t believe I did this,” Sarah whispered to herself.
Finally, she heard an answer.
“Hello, Sarah,” Rachel said.
“How’d you know it was me?” Sarah asked.
“I knew you would call us, plus I heard you talking to yourself,”
“Oh. Yeah. Rachel, I want you to know that I want to join the S.U.P.E.R. department,” Sarah stammered.
“I knew you would. Training starts tomorrow morning at eight o’clock sharp. Meet me in the park,”
“Alright, see you then,”
“Goodbye,”
“Bye,”

Sarah put her workout clothes on and met Rachel in the park the next morning. Rachel wasn’t in workout clothes; she was in a sleek black jumpsuit with tall black boots. Her blond hair was in a braid.
“What are you wearing?” Sarah asked.
“The regulated training outfit that is assigned to agents,” Rachel replied.
“You look ridiculous,”
Rachel rolled her eyes.
“So what are we doing?”
“We’re going to the base to train,”
Rachel started to walk away and motioned to Sarah to follow. Sarah was reluctant, but followed regardless.
Sarah and Rachel walked for a couple of blocks. And after a while, Rachel turned into an alley and faced a solid brick wall. A panel opened up with a number keypad inside. Rachel typed in a few numbers. Then, a large gray door slid open. Rachel entered and Sarah followed.
Rachel and Sarah walked down a huge corridor with a few flights of stairs. It was cold and dark. Suddenly a bright light blinded Sarah. Rachel and Sarah walked towards it and were greeted by a large room.
On the crisp white walls, there were weapons and other mechanical objects that were obviously state of the art government technology and computers were in abundance.
“Sarah, this is Director Burns,” Rachel said as she motioned over to a man in a black suit, “He is the leader of the S.U.P.E.R. department and a close friend of mine.”
“Hi! Nice to meet you,” Sarah said as she shook the Director’s hand.
“Welcome to the department, we’re glad you joined the S.U.P.E.R. department. Our job is to protect civilians from threats” Director Burns welcomed.
“Threats, like terrorists?” Sarah questioned.
“Not exactly,”
“If you’re done getting acquainted, can we train now?” Rachel asked with annoyance.
“Of course,” Director Burns said.

Rachel pushed a button and a panel opened up. Rachel grabbed a black suit. She tossed it to Sarah.
“Put it on so we can start training,” Rachel said.
Sarah looked at Director Burns.
“Rachel is a bit…tightly wound,” Director Burns whispered so Rachel wouldn’t hear.

Sarah shrugged and left to change. Sarah came out and fidgeted. The clothes weren’t comfortable to her.
“Your ninja suit is giving me a wedgie!” Sarah complained as she adjusted the spandex on her butt.

Rachel wasn’t paying attention to Sarah. She punched a code into the computer and flipped a switch.
“Alright, I’ve started the forest simulation. There will be robots that you have to neutralize with your abilities. Aim for their chests. At the end of the forest, there is an energy orb that you must collect. Get it to the round field goal. Oh, and if you get shot, the simulation ends,” Rachel instructed.
Sarah tried to take all the instructions in, but the simulation started too fast. The dull, gray walls turned into a forest scene. Rachel started to walk toward the end of the forest. Sarah followed.
Rachel kept walking when suddenly, Rachel ducked behind a tree. Sarah did the same. Nearby, a silver robot with a blaster for a right arm appeared out of nowhere. It walked back and forth before the girls. Rachel tucked her arm behind her back. Suddenly, a blue glowing disc appeared in her hand. Sarah watched this in amazement.
“Sarah, when I take out the robot, the other robots will swarm here. We will need to take them out,” Rachel whispered.
“How did you do that?” Sarah asked.

“I used my special abilities,”
“You didn’t tell me you had super powers,”
“I don’t have super powers,”
“You’re a superhero,”
“I’m not a superhero,”
“You’re a superhero,”
“I’m not a superhero,”
“You have superpowers, so you’re a superhero,”
“I’m not a superhero!”
The robots heard Rachel yell. They cocked their blasters at her and Sarah.
“Way to go genius,” Sarah sarcastically remarked.
“Run!” Rachel yelled.
Sarah screamed and ran as fast as she could. The robot flung itself at her, but Rachel threw her disc at the robot before it could catch Sarah.
Sarah heard heavy metal footsteps coming towards her. She was too afraid to look behind her. She bounded over fallen branches and dodged trees.
Suddenly, Sarah saw the orb that Rachel had told her to grab. It stood on a pedestal. No robots were around. Sarah jumped over the pedestal and grabbed the orb from under her. She landed and took off. She saw the end of the tree line and ran towards it.
She bolted out and saw the round goal. She heard rustling and saw five robots rush out of the tree line. Sarah ran towards the goal and pushed herself through it.
“Hah!” Sarah shouted, “Take that you stupid robots!”
But something was wrong. The forest scene was still surrounded Sarah. Sarah looked out and saw that she had dropped the orb.
“Oh, come on,” Sarah whined.
She sprinted towards the orb and reached for it. When Sarah looked up, a robot stood over her. It aimed its blaster arm at her and fired.
Suddenly, the simulation stopped. The forest scene melted away and the white walls came into view. Everything that was once there had vanished. Rachel stood up and looked around, suddenly aware that the simulation had ended.
“What happened?” Rachel asked.
“I got shot,” Sarah replied.
“You failed the simulation?”
“Yeah,”
“How?”
“I had the orb but I dropped it. When I went to get it, I got shot,”
“You’re kidding me. You dropped the orb!”
“Yeah,”
Rachel sighed and shook her head.
“We’re done training today,” Rachel said.
“But we haven’t trained enough. Don’t you think we should train a little more before we…,” Sarah asked in a sad voice.
“I said were done!”
“Rachel, I don’t have superpowers. I’m not a superhero,”
“Your powers are underdeveloped. You need to work hard and they’ll begin to show,”
Rachel turned away. Sarah stood up and left. She grabbed her clothes and walked shamefully back to her apartment.
“What have I gotten myself into?” Rachel wondered.

Every day, Sarah and Rachel trained in the simulator. Sarah got closer and got closer to reaching the goal with the orb. But she was always blasted by one of the robots.
One day, Sarah and Rachel were planning out how to get the orb to the goal.
“We’ll do it just like yesterday,” Rachel said as she drew in the dirt.
“Rachel, I know making plans is your thing, but I have an idea,” Sarah whispered.
“Let’s hear it,”
Sarah stated her plan. The girls decided to put Sarah’s plan into action. Sarah and Rachel darted out from behind the tree in different directions. Rachel took out robots that came at her while Sarah dodged them.
Suddenly, Sarah fell. She turned over and saw a robot’s hand grasped around her foot. Sarah struggled to get free. Finally, she grabbed the robot’s hand and pulled.
The robot’s hand came off. Sarah stepped on the separated hand. The one-handed robot propelled at her. Sarah grabbed the robot and flung it. Other robots were nearby, but were trampled by a one-handed robot. Sarah stood up and dashed for the orb. She grabbed the orb and sprinted towards the goal.
She lunged and pushed her entire body through the goal. She landed as the simulation ended. Sarah and Rachel stood up and walked towards each other.
“Alright, how’d you fail this time?” Rachel questioned.
“I did it,” Sarah whispered.
“What?”
“I did it. I got the orb through the goal!”
“Really? Let’s see what the surveillance cameras say,”
“There’s surveillance cameras?”
“Yes, sometimes S.U.P.E.R. agents watch the surveillance tapes of themselves in the simulator to see what they did while training,”
Rachel walked over to a computer and pulled up the surveillance tapes. They watched Sarah in the simulator. Rachel watched as Sarah pulled the robot’s hand off, throw the robot and it land on the others. Then, they noticed Sarah grab the orb and sprint towards the goal. Rachel and Sarah watched with wide eyes as Sarah jumped through the goal.
But something was different; Sarah seemed to be just a blur. And those robots were heavy, even Rachel couldn’t lift them by herself. Once a robot had fallen on Rachel and it took three strong S.U.P.E.R. agents to get it off her.

Rachel turned to Sarah and smiled.
“Sarah Dauser, you are officially a S.U.P.E.R. agent,” Rachel congratulated.
“Let’s celebrate,” said Sarah, “I know a really cool restaurant.”

Sarah and Rachel were sitting in pizza parlor waiting for their food. Sarah looked at Rachel with disapproval. Rachel was wearing the long black trench coat and sunglasses she had worn when she first met Sarah.
“Why are you wearing that?” Sarah asked annoyingly.
“I’m a government secret, I cannot be seen. I must blend in with everyone else like a normal person,” Rachel nervously said.

“Trust me, you are not blending in with everyone else,”
Sarah stood up and went around the table and faced Rachel.
“You don’t need to wear this stuff,” Sarah said as she removed the coat. Although, Rachel took off the coat, she refused to take off her sunglasses.
The food came and Sarah began to eat. Rachel picked at hers.
“You don’t like pizza?” Sarah asked.
“Never had it before,” Rachel replied.
“You’re kidding me,”

Rachel looked around and whispered, “When I was seven there was an accident. I was exposed to a mysterious blue substance. And the substance gave me my abilities. I was then introduced to the agency. I’ve dedicated my life to S.U.P.E.R. And I don’t get out much, except for missions.”
“Oh,” Sarah said sympathetically.
“I used to live in the Midwest before I moved here,”
“Well, I never knew my real parents. They gave me up for adoption as soon as they could. Irene is all I have, all I ever will have, except for…,”
“Sarah!” a thick Italian voice rang out.
“…Irene’s family,” Sarah said as she covered her eyes.
“How is my little pasta maker doing eh?!” the voice belonged to a big strong man. It was Irene’s brother-in-law and Sarah’s adoptive uncle Carmine.
Then the entire family filed out of the kitchen. All of Sarah’s adoptive cousins were smiling and covered with flour. Rachel cowered in her seat. Sarah wished she hadn’t brought Rachel here and she wished that she didn’t know these people. But unfortunately, life doesn’t work like that.
Uncle Carmine was spinning tales of Sarah working in the kitchen when she was young. Telling Rachel about how Sarah accidently sneezed in a vat of spaghetti sauce. Meanwhile Sarah’s Aunt Julie was trying to pull Rachel’s sunglasses off her face.
“Why won’t your little friend let me take off her glasses?” Aunt Julie asked Sarah.
“She’s shy and besides she’s not my friend. She’s… new…at my school…and we’re…working together on a…project,” Sarah argued.
“Fortunately, I could see her eyes,”
“Oh boy, here we go,”
“Eyes are the windows to the soul and it didn’t take me to realize that her eyes are different. They’re burnt out, lifeless, overworked…dead,”

“I can’t believe that I’m going out on my first mission!” Sarah shouted with glee.

“Calm down, it’s just one mission. And besides, it just a scouting mission,”

Rachel and Sarah put on their black suits. Rachel walked Sarah down a long hallway. At the end of the hallway was a subway. Growing up in New York City, Sarah was accustomed to riding on subway trains. Rachel and Sarah took their seats. Rachel grabbed a seatbelt from underneath the seat.

“Where did you get that seatbelt? There aren’t any on subways,” Sarah retorted.

“This isn’t a normal subway,” Rachel replied in a mysterious tone which signaled to Sarah that she wasn’t going to like this subway train ride.

She was right. The train took off at the speed of light. Sarah held on to the seat for dear life while Rachel sat there and waited calmly.

Finally, the subway stopped and the doors swung open. Rachel unbuckled her seatbelt while Sarah collected what was left of her pride and her lunch on the ground.

Sarah and Rachel walked out of the train station and up the steps. Sarah noticed that she had stepped into a forest. Rachel looked at her wrist and scanned the area with her watch.

“Alright, it looks like we need to head north. That’s where all the energy signals are coming from,” Rachel said without paying any attention to Sarah.

“Where are we?” Sarah asked nervously.

“California,” Rachel replied nonchalantly.

“California?”

“Indeed, thousands of these tunnels and shuttles are used by the S.U.P.E.R. department, dug by agents using their s-,”

Sarah gave Rachel a blank look.

“-superpowers,”

They began to walk. Sarah thought about what her Aunt Julie had said about Rachel and her eyes. Aunt Julie had never been wrong before, especially when the conversation turned to eyes and souls. Sarah was going to tell Rachel but they came across a group of robots digging in the dirt. The girls hid behind a tree. They didn’t look like the robots from the simulations. They were round and black with long tentacles hanging from the bottoms of their torsos. They had no legs and floated. And they had screens for faces and sound waves flashed across the screens. Instead of arms they had tentacles with claws on the end of them for grabbing. They were examining some diamonds they had found.

“What would robots want with diamonds?” Sarah whispered.

“Who knows? But we need to destroy the robots before they take the diamonds,” Rachel replied.

Rachel’s blue discs appeared in her hands and she threw them at a robot’s head. The robot fell and the others began to attack.

Rachel threw more discs at the robots, taking them out one by one. Sarah dashed towards the hole full of diamonds and looked in the hole.

“Sarah! What are you doing?” Rachel shouted as she dismantled the robots.

“I’m getting the diamonds!” Sarah screamed.

“No! Help me destroy the robots!”

“But I don’t know how!”

Rachel continued to fight the robots while Sarah pondered what to do. A robot advanced at Sarah. She screamed and ran away. The robot followed her. Sarah was faster than the robot. She ducked behind a tree. But the robot didn’t attack her. The robot floated back to the hole and grabbed a handful of diamonds.

The robot’s tentacles retracted into the robot’s body and the robot zoomed off. The other functioning robots did the same. Rachel walked over to Sarah and gave her a disapproving stare.

“I cannot believe you!” Rachel scolded as she and Sarah stormed through the S.U.P.E.R. base.
“What happened?” Director Burns asked with alarm.
“Sarah chickened out. She didn’t even scrap one robot!” Rachel screamed.
“Rachel, I’m sure Sarah can explain herself,” Director Burns replied.
“I was scared,” Sarah whispered.
“What?” Rachel yelled.
“Speak up Sarah,” Director Burns commanded.
“I was scared, okay. I’ve never scraped a robot in training or out in the field. I don’t even have powers. I don’t even know why you asked me to join the S.U.P.E.R. department!” Sarah shouted.
“Sarah, you do. You have super speed and super strength,” Rachel said in a calmer voice.
“No I don’t!”

“Well, if you don’t believe you have powers, or you don’t think you have what it takes to be an agent, why don’t you quit?”
“Good point Rachel. I quit!”
Sarah stormed off. Rachel’s eyes widened with disbelief.
“She just quit didn’t she,” Rachel said in a soft voice.
“Yes, she did,” Director Burns replied trying to comfort a crying Rachel.
“Should I try to get her to come back?”
“Give her some time to calm down and think, she’ll make the right decision,”
Rachel dried her eyes when a S.U.P.E.R. human agent on a computer shouted a disturbing message.
“Director Burns, come look at this,” the soldier beckoned.
Director Burns and Rachel rushed over to look at the computer screen. On the monitor, hundreds of tiny blue blips were swarming. And they were heading straight for New York City.

Sarah was back in her apartment. Irene was at work, so Sarah was all alone. She was sitting at the kitchen table with her arms covering her face. She had never cried before. Sarah felt a little bad for quitting; she had never quit anything, whether it was a sports team or some other nonathletic team. Sarah didn’t want to go back. She wasn’t special like Rachel. She didn’t have superpowers.

Sarah was deep in thought when she heard a knock at the door. She assumed it was Rachel, who was going to try to convince Sarah to come back.

“Go away Rachel,” Sarah said through her arms.

There was another knock. Sarah sat up.

“I said go away!” Sarah yelled even louder.

Another knock! Sarah stood up angrily.

“I said go away Rach-,” Sarah screamed.

But she was interrupted. Sarah’s front door was blown off its hinges, by a robot that had attacked her and Rachel in the woods earlier today. It zoomed into the apartment, and Sarah ran. She sprinted towards the window where the fire escape was. The robot threw the kitchen table at her. She ducked. Sarah was helpless; she didn’t know how to fight. All she could do was climb down the fire escape like she had been taught.
She bounded down as fast as she could, skipping steps. Sarah knew the robot was following her. She reached the end and headed towards the street. That’s when she noticed.
The entire city was under siege. People were running in terror, grabbing children, pets, valuable possessions, anything sentimental to them. They intended to evacuate the city.
Sarah’s mind and body wanted her to follow the fleeing denizens of New York City. But her heart told her to head to Wall Street, where her adoptive mother Irene was. Or was Irene there? Had Irene already left her office? Maybe she was heading back to the apartment; where she would find the place a wreck and assume the worst. Or had Irene already crossed the George Washington Bridge that connected New York and New Jersey? All Sarah could do was head to Wall Street and hope Irene was there.

Sarah ran as fast as she could to Wall Street. But it was 20 blocks away! Even Sarah wasn’t that fast. Or was she? Sarah thought back to what Rachel said.
“You have super strength and super speed,” Rachel had said.
Sarah stopped and caught her breath. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She thought about fast things: cars, planes, lightning, the McDonalds’ drive thru. Sarah’s eyes shot open and she ran. Faster, faster than she had ever ran before. Even some people say that they saw a little blue lightning bolt dashing through the streets of New York.
Sarah stopped in front of the building Irene worked in. Sarah had been here once before to bring lunch to a starving Irene. No one was in the lobby, it was a ghost town, papers floated by and spilled coffee stained the carpet. Sarah took the emergency stairs up to the thirteenth floor.
When she got there, shock ran through her. The whole place was empty. Desks and chairs littered the floor. Windows were broken. It was quiet except for the screams of terror that echoed from outside. Saran walked around, looking for Irene’s cubicle.
Then, she heard a mechanical sound. Sarah ducked into a nearby cubicle. She heard a robot floating through rows, looking for her. Sarah held her breath. The robot floated by her and left the room. Sarah exhaled in relief.
Suddenly, a giant robot that was much bigger than the others ripped through the floor. Desks, chairs, and other sharp and heavy objects flew past Sarah. Sarah ran as fast as she could down the stairs, but she ran into someone. It was Irene.
“Irene!” Sarah cried as she hugged her mother.
“Sarah!” Irene sobbed.
“We have to get out of here!”
Just then, the robot blasted through the doorway. Sarah and Irene dashed down the stairs. The robot pursued them. They made it to the lobby, fortunately they had put some distance between them and the mechanical menace. Sarah knew then and there what she had to do.
“Irene, get across the George Washington Bridge. I’ll stay here and keep that robot thing from catching you,” Sarah said in a stern, cold voice.
“Baby no, if we’re going to New Jersey, we’re going together,” Irene said as she touched Sarah’s shoulder.
“There’s more to me than you know. I’ll be fine. I’ll see you in New Jersey,”
Irene nodded and took off. Sarah found a large, heavy couch from the lobby. Sarah lifted it and barricaded the door. Just then, the robot appeared.
“Ready for the fight of your life?” Sarah said in a menacing tone, and she advanced.

Rachel scanned the streets looking for Sarah. She wasn’t in her apartment and it was a wreck. Rachel had assumed the worst. But Sarah was special, she had to be okay. Rachel had torn through tons of robots, looking for what Director Burns referred as a friend.
Suddenly, Rachel remembered that Sarah had an adoptive mother that worked on Wall Street. Maybe Sarah had gone there to protect her. It was worth a shot. Rachel headed there.
Meanwhile, Sarah was fighting the robot tooth and nail. At one point, Sarah had gained the upper hand and another time the robot did. But Sarah was determined to win.
Rachel had just reached the door when she saw that Sarah was inside fighting a much bigger robot than she had seen before and Sarah was winning. Rachel watched in awe. Sarah pulled on the robot’s tentacles, she ripped them all off. And finally, she punched through the robot’s screen face. It fell. Sarah stood up, covered in mechanical grease and sweat. She saw Rachel at the window. Sarah pulled the couch out of the way. Rachel smiled.
“Maybe I do have what it takes to be a S.U.P.E.R.,” Sarah laughed.
Rachel smiled.
“This is an invasion,” Rachel said.
“You’re telling me,” Sarah replied sarcastically.
“We need to take care of this immediately,”
“How? There are thousands of them,”
“Actually 23,046 of them to be exact. Well, 23,045 now,”
“Look, I need to make sure my mom gets across the bridge,”
“Alright, I’ll protect you,”
Sarah and Rachel made their way through the streets of New York. They bashed robots left and right as they headed towards the George Washington Bridge.
Sarah and Rachel finally got to the foot of the bridge. People were running as fast as they could. Some people had driven their cars, but had abandoned them halfway across the bridge and ran the rest of the way.
“We have to get these people off the bridge!” Sarah ordered.
Rachel nodded in agreement. The girls hurried people off the bridge and that’s when it all started going downhill.
A huge robot ten times bigger than any of the robots they had fought earlier shot out of the water.
Screams of innocent people rang out.
“Go! Go! Go!” Sarah yelled.
“Sarah, watch out!” Rachel screamed.
A huge spiked tentacle was raised out of the water and was smacked down on the bridge. Sarah jumped out of the tentacle’s way. The bridge shook with tremendous force.
The second tentacle came down, aimed at Rachel. The tentacle smacked down, Rachel ducked behind a car.

The robot stopped attacking and looked towards the city. It started making its way towards the Empire State Building.
Sarah and Rachel ran back across the bridge and headed towards the Empire State Building. The robot was climbing it. Then Sarah heard a cry.
“Sarah!” Irene shouted.
“Irene!” Sarah shouted back as she hugged her.
“Who’s this?” Irene asked pointing towards Rachel.
“She’s my friend,” Sarah said smiling.
“Then you’re coming too. Come on girls; let’s get out of here before the SWAT team arrives,” Irene said as she took the girls by the arms.
“They’re not going to stand a chance against that thing,” Rachel informed.
“Neither would you,” Irene replied.
“Irene, stop please. You’re the best and only family I’ve ever had. Now, I’m going up there and finishing this thing once and for all. And if I don’t make it back, I’m glad I got a chance to call you my mom,” Sarah said.
Irene smiled with tears running down her cheeks. She let the girls’ arms go and Sarah started to run. She used her super speed to climb the stairs leading up to the top of the building. She stood eye to eye with the robotic beast.
“You’ve cost enough trouble in the city, in my home. Now, you’re going to pay,” Sarah yelled.
She took a step back. And ran at full speed and lunged at the robot’s screen face. The robot fell with might. It hit the ground and a huge cloud of debris filled the air. Rachel and Irene covered their faces.
“Sarah!” Rachel shouted.
Rachel started running towards the remains of the robot, looking for any signs of Sarah. Irene stood by lamenting her loss. Then suddenly, out of the cloud of dust, walked out the victorious Sarah. She had no major injuries and was covered in dirt, but her smile was unforgettable. Rachel smiled and hugged Sarah and Irene did the same.
“So about the whole me quitting S.U.P.E.R. thing,” Sarah said nonchalantly.
“Consider yourself reinstated,” Rachel beamed.
Unbeknownst to the girls, they were being watched.
“Perfect, now that she is aware of her power, she is exactly what we need to complete our master plan,” a dark voice boomed.
“But she’s a S.U.P.E.R. agent now. How will we get to her?” a different raspy voice screeched.
“We’ll find a way,”

Sarah and Rachel were sitting in the park where they met. Sarah was holding her new gold badge. She was an official S.U.P.E.R. agent. The badge flashed her name and had the S.U.P.E.R. symbol. Three lines pointing up towards the top of the triangle they were in. Suddenly, her cell phone buzzed. Rachel’s did the same.
“Time to go, partner,” Rachel said with a smile.
“Let’s do this,” Sarah said grinning.

This book has 1 comment.

vegetariangirl, Hamilton, Ohio

Being normal is boring - Marilyn Monroe
You only live once -?
A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit -Richard Bach

I love your story, it kind of reminds me of Marvel's Agents of Shield.