Halo. | Teen Ink

Halo.

By Jaydeen, Bremen, Indiana
Jaydeen, Bremen, Indiana

“The plane will be landing in Hawaii in 3 hours,” Beyonce heard on the overhead. She leaned her seat back, pulled her blinds over her window, and drifted off to sleep. She was too excited to sleep the last night, because she was going to Hawaii to preform, and maybe get an award at the HMA's. She was going to meet up with two of her friends, Lady Gaga and Madonna. Now she slept in peace, and with no worries.

It was 1946 and Beyonce was preforming at the HMA's with Marilyn Monroe. They were singing her hit song, I Found a Dream. Everyone loved it! The crowd gave them a standing novation, too! The two hosts came out from backstage and gave them both a award for Best Song Ever, and it was truly the bast song ever.

Suddenly, Beyonce was woken by a jolt in the plane. The pilot turned on the intercom, “Sorry for the inconvenience, but the airplane is having some minor difficulties going through this storm. We might be an hour behind schedule.” In a split second, she whipped open her blinds and saw a crack of lighting and the thick charcoal clouds.

With shaky hands, she yanked the blind back down, and tried to block out the sounds. She puts her ear-buds in and tries to listen to the latest songs, hoping for a spark of inspiration for a new song of her own to preform at the HMA's. She had to turn it up all the way to block out the sound of the storm. Not soon enough, the pilot announced that the are going to be landing in Hawaii.

Once off the plane, she saw her teller with a white-board with her name scribbled across it in black. Once the teller saw her, he politely took her bag, and escorted her to her limo. He popped open the trunk, gently placed her bag in, and closed it with a loud BAM! He walked around to her side, and opened her door for her before he got in himself.

After a 20 minute drive, filled with small talk, they pulled up to the hotel on the beach that Beyonce, Lady Gaga, and Madonna will be staying. They all three decided to get a three room suite on the top floor together, because they want to work on new music and speeches. The teller opened her door and walked around to get her bags. Once she got it she kindly thanked the teller and walked into the lobby.

Inside she met the manager, who didn't even have to ask for her name. She only smiled and informed her, “You're in room 657, on floor 16, here's you're key, and the gym and indoor pool are down that hall, and you can go out to the beach whenever you want. We hope you're stay at Kallibu Resorts!”

“Thank you!” Beyonce nodded with a smile. She walked into the elevator and presses the white button that quickly turned a light blue color. She tilted her head up and watched the blue numbers change from 1 to 2 with a slight ding that you could hardly hear over the elevator music. Floor 7. Ding! Floor 8. Ding! Floor 9. Ding! Floor 16 couldn't come fast enough, but eventually it did come, with a series of dings after it.

As she walked down the hallway she silently read the numbers on the wall to herself. 642.. 647.. 651.. 654.. and 657. With a shuffle of her bags, she fished out her key, and put it in the slot above the door handle. The light flashed from red to green in a split second. She had to quickly open to door so it doesn't shut and she has to fiddle with the key again. Luckily, she got it open before the light could change back to red. With a yank of the handle of her rolling suitcase and a tug of her matching duffel bag, she was into her room for the next three days.

She found her room after looking at the view of the ocean through the wall, that looked like it could just be a window. It was more beautiful than she could've imagined. It was 7:30 and the sun started to set, giving the world a orange tint, and the ocean looks blue green. The palm trees look picture perfect, and if you watched long enough, you could see a dolphin or two leap over the horizon.

Beyonce decided to go down to the beach before it got too dark and take a walk. She slipped on her sandals and went down the hall, with her key in her hand. She rode in the elevator down to the lobby and followed the signs that led her to the beach. She walked around for about half an hour before she came back up.

When she was back into her room she was surprised by Lady Gaga and Madonna.

“Hey! Look who's back!” said Lady Gaga, with a smile on her face.

“Well would you look at that!” said Madonna.

“Hey guys! Nice of you to show up!” said Beyonce.

“Well, we wouldn't miss it for the world!” answered Madonna.

They all still had their bags sitting in the middle of the room in monstrous heap. For hours they'd be there if they didn't put them away now... Beyonce thought. She didn't want to be the one that was the buzz kill or the neat freak either.

“Hey guys, do you want help putting away your bags? I mean so your dresses don't get wrinkled?” Beyonce asked cautiously.

The two girls exchanged looks, and looked at the heap. “Yeah, that'd be nice!” Madonna said before Lady Gaga could answer. They exchange looks once more before hauling the bags to their rooms, with Beyonce following behind. Beyonce decides to help Madonna first and then help Lady Gaga, her bags were smaller anyways.

It only took then about 5 minutes to finish putting her things away. Then they headed down the hall to Lady Gaga's room. They were barely into the doorway when Madonna suddenly stopped. They found her laying face up on her bed, tweeting her little monsters.

“You couldn't have started without us?” asked Madonna. Lady Gaga just gave them a smile full of artificial sweetness. “Urgghh!” Madonna moaned somewhat quietly. They walk the rest of the way into the room and snatched the bags and yanked the closet doors open. Thats when they found it.

It flashed with colors that change automatically. The metal all around it seemed chilled to the bone. You could see the frost on it, too. The door was almost frozen shut with ice. With shaky hands, Lady Gaga decided to open it. With a loud crackling sound, it did. The inside was lined with a red velvet. There was one single dial and one single screen, both had the same label.

“Years?” read Beyonce. They were all baffled by the machine, that nobody spoke for a long while. They all just stood there in front of the closet and stared at it. It was quiet for a long time before any one of them could talk.

“Do you think it could possibly be a time machine?” pondered Lady Gaga in a hushed voice, that didn't sound like her at all. By the look on her face and in her eyes, you could've seen the horror.

“Well if it is, I'm not going in there!” Madonna announced. She then crossed her arms forcefully over her chest, and bounced on her hip with one knee slightly bent.

“I want to find out..” whispered Beyonce. She started to inch forward towards the machine.

“Dude! No! What if something really bad happens?” Lady Gaga worried. Beyonce still inched closer and closer. Finally she walked right inside the machine.

Beyonce has always been the courageous one out of the three. Once she was the only one who rode the roller coaster at the new amusement park. Or the only one who got the wall sauce on her wings, at wings etc. They always thought she was crazy, but really she was only being curious, even though she barfed on the roller coaster, and she couldn't eat all of her wings with that sauce, she just wanted to be spontaneous.

“I'm coming with you then!” announced Lady Gaga. She didn't want Beyonce to get lost when she there. Without hesitation, she hopped in.

“Well unless you two crazy people don't want to go to the HMA's in two days,” started Madonna.

“We're gonna be fine! I Promise.” Beyonce assured Madonna, while also calming herself.

With a spin of a dial, that was bigger than Beyonce's hands, she clicked to 1946 and then pushed the dial in and it turned green. The door slammed shut, and then the machine started to defrost with the heat it was putting off. The current year was on the screen now, and they were quickly lowering. It seamed to go from 2013 straight to 1993. You could see, through a small window in the door, it looked like a tornado out of the Wizard of Oz.

With a jerk, the machine halted to a stop. They tried to keep their knees from buckling, but that didn't work. They almost fell in a dog pile on the floor. The door opened slowly, with a slight humming noise. The two couldn't believe their eyes.

They were back in the same hotel room as they were. Only now it was black and white. They looked at themselves, their hair short and curled. Their skirts were from their belly button down to their knees.

“What. Happened. To. Us?!” asked Lady Gaga in sheer panic.

“We. We. Umm..” Beyonce stuttered with fear in her eyes. With a gulp she finally looked at Lady Gaga and said, “We went back in time..”

Their jaws literally dropped. They tip-toed out of the machine and stood in the room for a long time. They looked at themselves in the wall mirror across the room for a long time.

Finally Lady Gaga asked, “What should we do?”

The question pondered in Beyonce's head for a while. They wouldn't look the same as everybody else, they wouldn't talk the same, or even walk the same.

“Lets just go to the HMA hall of fame.” Beyonce said.

“Okay, we can meet Marilyn Monroe!” agreed Lady Gaga.

They sashayed out of the hotel, down the sidewalk, and into the HMA hall of fame. Once they got in, they saw Marilyn Monroe, not just on the wall, but in person! Beyonce and Lady Gaga anxiously strut up to her.

“M-M-Marilyn Monroe?” Beyonce stuttered.

“Yes,” she replied.

“Oh my gosh! It's really you! I just can't believe it!” Beyonce exclaimed.

“I come here when I need inspiration, you know for a song. The HMA's are in two days, and I'm struggling to write a new song. Say, do you have any ideas? I mean you obviously know something about music if you are here.”

Lady Gaga and Beyonce exchanged looks. Lady Gaga finally nodded to Beyonce. “I think we might be able to help... We know about music, but we don't know if you will like our... I don't know how to explain it... our... our style.”

“I'm willing to try anything at this point in time! Well, we can go to the back to the music room. Do either of you know how to play the piano?”

“I do actually.” Beyonce answered.

“Okay, then let's go get writing!”

The three ladies walked down the isle and to a room with a silver rectangle with black writing on it. It read, “Music Room”. Marilyn pulled out a matching key and slid it into the lock, and with a slight turn, they heard a click, and then the door was pulled open.

It was a dark room without any lights on. One window in the middle of the west wall, was a window. It was big enough to let in a beam of light that was centered on the piano. The back of the piano was up so the sound would be louder. The golden strings connected to the keys were glistening. The keys themselves were bright white and pitch black. The dark wooden frame was shining so beautifully. The sight was just enchanting.

Beyonce walked in first and ran her fingers on the side of the piano, and the gently over the keys. She sat on the bench and began to play her song Halo. She started out humming the lyrics when Marilyn interrupted her. “Can you sing that? From the very beginning?”

Beyonce nodded and started the song over. “Remember those walls I built? Well now they're all tumbling down, and they didn't even put up a fight. They didn't even make a sound.” she started. She sang the whole song through, and played it along. Eventually Marilyn started to join in with the chorus. When the song was over, a smile spread across their faces.

“Can I sing that? I will give you the credit. I can learn it and sing it for you. If you don't like how I sing it, I wont sing it.”

“Marilyn, it'd be my honor to have you sing it.” Beyonce replied.

“Can you teach me the words?”

“Well, you can't sing it without them!” she replied with a smile.

At that, Lady Gaga and Beyonce stayed up all night, teaching Marilyn Halo. They had to teach her how to sing in this style, how to make her voice match the pitch because it was only going to be played in one main key.

Later, when they finished teaching her the song, Beyonce and Lady Gaga went back to the hotel and looked inside the closet. The machine was still there.

“Should we go back? Like, before the Awards? I mean we have to go to the final rehearsal tomorrow and then to the awards after that.” asked Lady Gaga.

“We should..”

So the two ladies went inside the time machine, turned the knob back to 2013, and pushed it in. The world felt like it spun in forward motion, until it jerked to a stop at 2013.

It was already morning. Madonna was back in her room, getting ready. The two girls then walked out of the machine, and saw the time.

“10:38?!” exclaimed Beyonce. “We better get bookin'! We are supposed to be there at 11:00 and it's a 10 minute drive!”

So the two ran to get ready. They turned out to be done before Madonna because she had lost track of time. The three had on their fancy clothes and ran out of the room, and down the hall as fast as they could, while wearing stilettos.

They all three had a beach bag with them. In each one was their make-up and hair products. They weren't supposed to do it themselves because their stylists had to practice, too.

In the end the girls got there on time (well really it was five minutes late, but the stage director wasn't even there yet). They practiced introducing winners, spoke their speeches, and Beyonce sang Halo.

After that, they all went to the hotel, for a full night of sleep. When the woke up, they still had to go pick up their dresses, get their nails done, and go to their stylist and get on their make-up and do their hair.

When Beyonce sang Halo, the crowd went crazy! Everybody loved it, and people were calling it her best performance yet! People gave her a standing novation, and through roses on stage, just like you think they would.

At the awards, Beyonce won twice. One was best female artist and the other was best music videos. Madonna won once, best comeback artist. And Lady Gaga won once, best dressed.

When it was all said and done, they all went to the airport. Madonna was going to Tokyo, to produce her new perfume. Lady Gaga was going to spain, to get her new clothes. And Beyonce was heading home. She missed her family.

Beyonce got a text from Lady Gaga on the plane before she got on her plane. “Hey! Awesome performance at the HMAs! The whole Marilyn Monroe thing... that can be our little secret(:” Beyonce just smiled, got on her plane, and closed her eyes and fell asleep.