Time of Revenge | Teen Ink

Time of Revenge

September 30, 2013
By dark-fairy BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
More by this author
dark-fairy BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

The driver deliberately drives through the rail guards and towards the lake. He knows his sleeping, and drugged, passenger will die, but that is what he is being paid for. He doesn't exactly know what this girl did to be wanted dead, but he ignores that thought as he opens his door and jumps away from the car. When the car hits the water, the door shuts from the impact. Its sleeping passenger begins to stir, still sedated from the shot the driver had injected her with. The driver of the now drowning car makes it back to the road where the get away car is waiting. As he gets in the car, the water begins to fill the car as it is fully submerged in the water. The sleeping girl is nearly semerged in water, as another car drives up. Two brothers get outof the new car and dive into the lake, with intentions of saving the girl. The would-be-killer waits and watches as the brothers rescue the girl. He knows of these brothers and loathes them for showing up. He grabs the gun form the console, rolling down the window, taking aim as the brother help the girl out of the water. Three shots are fired from the gun, the older of the brothers takes two of the bullets one in the shoulder and one in the meaty portion of his upper arm. The brothers successfully get the girl and themselves into the car, speeding towards the nearest hospital.

The would-be-killer gets a disposable cellphone out and calls his employer. Beads of sweat form along his hairline. How had an easy, fool-proof plan gone wrong? It is too late to for questions like these. All the hired killer knows know is that he would once again have to prove himself if this girl lived. Or his employer would surely kill him.

As to be expected, thought the killer's employer, they would have to always go with Plan B. Plan A once again has failed him. Lucky for the employer Plan B is already set up. Once the brothers take the girl to the hospital she will be brainwashed and forever disappear from them. The employer laughs, his plans for crushing the families that had destroyed his are just beginning. He is in no rush, all he has is time. Time and a thirst for revenge.

Two years later

Cassidy Travotti walks out of her apartment glaring at the storm clouds at the horizon. She despises those clouds and all storm clouds, not because she walks to her work or because of the damage. Cassidy isn't sure why, but for as long as she can remember which happened to be the last two years, she didn't have any love for storms. She doesn't fear them, but they always seem to sour her moods. Cassidy shakes her head. She is not going to let those storm clouds run her life, she decides as she walks to work.

The work day passes quickly, or as quickly as an accountant's day can pass. Cassidy gathers her work papers, placing them into the appropriate binders and folders. Her phone rings, looking at the caller ID she knows it is Serinity Parker. Cassidy smiles to herself answering the cell phone on the second ring.

"Cassidy? I called the right number this time didn't I?" The older woman's voice asks on the other side of the phone.

"Yes, Ms. Parker you did. Did you call your ex-husband again by mistake?" Cassidy asks as she walks out of her cubicle and to the stairs.

The older woman growls in disgust. "Yes that old pig seems to expect me to call him. Not my fault that chauvanist pig-smelling hog had me memorize his number. Cassidy laughs as the old woman continues to insult the ex-husband. Cassidy has never had the oppertunity to meet this ex-husband, but she is sure that Serinity Parker exaggerates about the man's bad side. "There is a lesson for you to learn from all of this Cassie..."

"Never marry unless it's only for the money." The two women say in unison. Cassidy can't help but laugh as she finishes blimbing down the stairs to the ground floor.

"I hope you remember what you called for Ms. Parker." Cassidy prompts the older woman. She'd known this older woman since the day she'd woken up in the hospital room. Serinity Parker is the nurse who explained who Cassidy was to herself.

"Oh dear... I seem to have forgotten. I'm sorry Cassie, I suppose I have called you again for no reason. Will you forgive me, dear?" The older woman's voice begins to sound small, which is odd for such a determined, out spoken woman such as Serinity Parker.

Cassidy laughs, walking out of the building. She stands not far from the door to finish her conversation. "Of course. Well Ms. Parker I;m going to wak to the store and then head home. Call me when ever you feel the need to talk." With a good-bye Cassidy puts the phone in her purse. She looks around trying to find the source of her disconfort, with no luck. Cassidy Travotti knows that she has ALWAYS known when someone was watching her, she just didn't remember all the times before these past two years whit it had helped her.

Cassidy didn't find a single person watching her with the intensity that would cause the hair on he back of her neck to stand on end. The smell of sweet orange chicken and seasame seeds fills Cassidy's nose distracting her attention. She spots the sourse. "Mongol Palace". Cassidy hurries across the street, her mouth watering the whole time.


Travis is sitting at one of the tables at the Mongol Palace. He doesn't nessicarily like chinese food, but it was Elizabeth's favorite. His heart tightens at the thought of her. No, she is still alive. I'm just not looking hard enough. I will find you Lizzy... I swear to it, on my life. He scolds himself.

His long-time, childhood friend Brenton Fredrick, raises his eyebrow from across the table. "Tyler says if you keep your mind distracted you'll find what you're looking for easier."

Travis looks at his friend. Tyler, Travis' older bother, has never said such a thing. "You're an awful liar, Brent."

Brenton only smiles. "Alright, so Tyler never said that, but I have hundreds of times." He grabs his napkin and inspects it throughly. "It works all the time too. I mean loook at this napkin. The health inspector must be here, this is the whitest these napkins have ever been since we first came here. I remember it like it was just yesterday. Oh yeah we came here for lunch yesterday too." Travis can't help but laugh. Brenton use to be an incryption analyist, but everyone who met him thought he was a comedian. It is just how Brenton comes off to everyone with in hearing or seeing distance.

Travis opens his mouth to speak, looking up. He stares at the entrance, unable to move or speak. He watches as a thin woman with an athletic build walks in. This woman looks the right age, mid-tweenties. Her honey colored hair looking exactly as Lizzy's had. Brenton seeing the pain and hope on Travis' face turns to look at the lady who had entered. Brenton's jaw nearly hit the floor. The woman is an exact replica of Elizabeth Monroe, their long lost team member.

"Travis look away now." Brenton says, pulling his friend by the front of his shirt as the lady turns to reveal a face that had two years ago vanished from their lives. "Listen she may look like Lizzy but it would take DNA to prove it is her."

Travis looks at his friend. "Brent you're right." For once in his life he is both glad and horrified to see Lizzy.


Cassie glances around the resteraunt, her eyes landing on a table where two men sit. They are obviously in a serious discussion... But I know them. Perhaps I know them from before these last two years. It is possible. Her heart tightens everytime she looks over at the two men. She did know them. The dark hair, pale eye, broad shouldered one facing her is the one heart tightens at the sight of Cassie decides.

"How many miss?" A heavily accented asian voice asks her. She looks at the small figured waittress. The waitress is at least in her sixties, with hidden gray hairs in her dark bun.

"Just one, but can I ask for a table within this room?" Cassie asks, then blushes as she realizes that she actually asked the lady that.

"No need for blushing miss. There are very hansome men in this room." The older lady smiles at her, guiding her to a table right next to the two men. If Cassie wasn't already blushing, she is now. "Is this good miss?"

"Yes... Thank you." Cassie takes her seat, noticing that the waitress had placed her within reach of the other table. As Cassie sits, her phone falls out of her purse.

The guy who Cassie had been studying early caught it before it hit the floor. "Ma'am, your phone." His voice makes her smile.

She reaches for the phone. The instant their hands touch, she can remember flashes of her laying in the grass talking with the guy. His name is at the tip of her tongue, but she can't remember. Starts with a T... Taylor? No. "Thank you..."

"Travis." The man smiles at her, his pale gray eyes shinning with somethingh that Cassie can't place.

"Cassidy." She replies. She notices his smile quiver for half a second as he turns back to the other man at the table.

A waitor comes by taking her order and disappearing. The man, Travis, hasn't said another word to her. She pouts, maybe I don't know him after all. But why would he react that way when I told him my name? She thanks the waitor as he brings her food to the table. She leaves before the two men do. She quickly hurries to pay and then leave, feeling the awkwardness around her.


Brenton reaches over and swaps his empty glass of water for Cassidy's, as the lady introduced herself. "What the... What are you doing?" Travis growls.

"Unlike you, I'm going to prove whether she is Liz or Cassidy as she claims by using DNA and forensic evidence." Brenton stands up. "Don't let them take this glass Travis, if you want to know if that is Liz." Travis tenses up at the challenge. Of course he wants to find her, would he be pulling every string, favor, even having Liz's family looking for her. The whole world is on the look out for Liz practically. He reminds himself. Brenton leaves the resteraunt in a hurry and comes back in with a breifcase.

"How is a briefcase going to prove it?" Travis gripes at his friend, knowing fully well that Brenton carries a miniture lab around with him in that breifcase.

"Listen if Mr. I'm-in-love wants to be smart with me, then he can walk all the way back to the team's home." Brenton smiles as he says this to Travis. Travis leans back into his chair. Brenton ignores him and takes out a duster for finger prints, using his 'special' tape he pulls the prints off the glass. He places the prints into his breifcase and then took out a swab. He swipes the swab around the edge of the glass. Placing the swab into a small cylinder container and into his breifcase, brenton looks up at Travis. "I'm ready to go now."

Travis yawns. "That was the longest you have ever tooken." Travis goes to the cashier to pay as Brenton leaves the tip and then walks out to where he parked the car. Travis gets into the car. "Let's get back and see what all that DNA says. If it's not good news don't ever bring it up again."

The drive back feels like hours to Travis as he could only sit there and think as Brenton drives back. Tyler, who was just an older version of Travis, comes out to stand on the front pourch as Travis and Brenton pulls up to the house. Travis gets out of the car with a new look of hope on his face. It is in his eyes. Tyler isn't sure if that is a good thing. Should they distract Travis if it is a false hope that he is seeing? Something is different this time, Tyler sees it in his younger brother's face.

Brenton shakes his head as Tyler walks his brother and close friend back to their 'office room'. The office room is where they talk about Lizzy. Sweet, fierce, high spirited Elizabeth Monroe. Tyler's wife Melissa is already there waiting for them. Mark Monroe, Elizabeth's brother is also in there.

"Mark? I thought you were called out?" Travis doesn't step through the doorway. Mark and Travis have one thing in common. Finding Elizabeth. They both love her with their whole hearts and finding her has become their obsession. She means more to them than anything else that they could think of.

"I was until I heard that there was a break through, which turned out to be nothing more than a false lead." Mark has done well trying to forgive Travis. He still thinks that Travis shouldn't have allowed his baby sister to have been by her self for even the slightest second. Travis, before, had told Mark that he'd move the Earth if he got to marry Lizzy when she was ready. Now she is missing.

"Time to call in Alex. I think Brenton and I found Liz." Travis smiles again, for the first time in two years. He is sure that he is getting her back. He'll move the earth now more than ever. I need her back. I don't think I can go another month with out her, much less a year without her. It's getting to hard not knowing if she's safe and warm each day and night. Travis thinks to himself as he closes the door.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Jan. 22 2014 at 7:02 pm
dark-fairy BRONZE, Fayetteville, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 4 comments
For Readers; I would love your input on what you think of this. and I'll add more to this real soon.