The Curse | Teen Ink

The Curse

June 15, 2013
By Siesie SILVER, wheat ridge, Colorado
More by this author
Siesie SILVER, Wheat Ridge, Colorado
8 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life is not fun, you have to make it that way."


Author's note: *Hello readers this is a sneak peak into a book I'm writing and will be publishing! This book is what will be paying for my collage so if you like it, buy it(when its done)! But it is not. So if there is grammar mistakes, a missing or, or something please don't freak out. Thank you and i hope you like it!* This has taken three years. I have put my heart into this so i hope you like it! tell your friends!

I trotted through the field to our little hill that only we came to. The newly bloomed flowers led my way as I hurried. I looked up into the clear blue sky as I climbed the hill to find an enchanting tone from an musical instrument from an unknown land, and the man playing that instrument was an angel from God. I sat by him as he finished his song, but it wasn't long. He had brown hair, cream brown eyes, and a smile that made my heart pound when ever he gave it. He was tall and good looking with his long eyelashes as he hit the last note, truly an angel.

“That was the most astounding thing I have ever heard.” I told him as our eyes met. He gave a smile that I have known my whole life, “Thank you, Ekaterina.”

“I hope you were not here long, I just found your letter.”

He chuckled. “I know you wait till the last minute to do your chores, I had only got the chance to play the one song.”

“That is good, so what did you want to tell me?”

He turned away from me. I knew that look; he was deep in thought and in worry. I then knew what he wanted to say.

“It is about your mother, is it not?”

A sigh flowed from his lips as he made it clear I was right. “Her wanting me to be like my father has gone on long enough. I am planning to leave soon, but without letting her know.”

The thought of him leaving tore at my heart. “Do not leave! Maybe, if you tell her you do not want to be a warlock then she will accept your wishes. She may have high expectations for you but she still loves you. And if she loves you she will let you go.”

“But what if she does not let me.”

I took a deep breath “Then you run.”

He turned to me and, with the same look of thought that made him look beautiful; he stated “You can come with me.”

I turned away as my cheeks turned hot. “Zayden, I…I don’t know what to say. What about Agatha. She will miss me.”

“She doesn’t need one that she can not teach. And I want to have my best friend with me to travel the world. You also do not like witchcraft, so we shall run away from it and explore the world. All right,” he stood “I shall speak with my mother but if she shows any signs of retaliation we will leave tonight. So I would pack my things if I were you.” He smiled.

Just friends, well I rather him be my friend and in my life then not in my life at all.

He gave me a hand to help me stand.

He is the best thing in my life. And I will follow him anywhere.

I took his hand to help me stand. After I stood, we started to walk.

“I have always wanted to go west until I got to the end of the world.” I commented.

He stopped and looked at me like I was insane. “I don’t mean to ruin your fun but the earth is round.”

“What? No it is not.”

He started walking with a grin on his face. “Unlike you I have had been able to experience magic and I have had a vision showing that the earth is round.”

I chuckled. “It is a fact that the earth is flat. What now you will say that we are not the center of the universe?”

He gave a serious look. “It’s not all about you.”

I gave him a slight push to make him smile then started running. This little fun we were having right now, with a little luck, is what will make up the rest of our lives.





Why do I want to bring Ekaterina with me so bad? She has been my best friend ever since we were children and I trust her with my life… but why do I want her to come with me so badly?

It does not matter.

I opened the door to our little house and saw my mother in the kitchen. She had her long black hair down and was wearing her dress made by the Indians. If it wore not for her light skin she would look like one. Since I was gifted with all my father’s looks I have never been taken as her son. There is not one ounce of her in me.

She looked at me with a cheerful grin. “Good afternoon, you have been gone for a while. Were you practicing your plant knowledge?”

“No mother I wasn’t” I said as I was building courage for this.

A puzzled look crossed her face. “Well, you need to. If you don’t learn the plants in the new world you won’t have a chance of becoming a warlock. The Indian doctor in the next village would be happy to teach you.”

I sighed. “I wanted to talk to you about that.” She looked at me, waiting for an answer. “I don’t want to become a warlock.”

“Oh, a wizard?”

“No, I want nothing to do with magic.”

She tilted her head “What are you talking about, Zayden? How are you going to follow your father’s footsteps if you do not study magic?”

“Has it crossed your mind that I don’t want to follow Father?”

“It’s the least you can do since he died saving your life. When did you get these feelings to betray your father?”

“I am not betraying his wishes I am betraying yours. And I am not Father, I am nothing like him, and I am definitely not his replacement. No matter how much you want him back. He is dead, now move on.”

She gasped in shock “If you’re not going to study magic then what will you do with your life?”

“I don’t know, travel the world, ride horses, maybe settle down-”

“Is that little cow making you do this?” she yelled

“No! She is my friend”

“So you do not love her”

“No!”

Her face looked calm but her eyes were blazing with anger. “We shall talk later; I can’t even look at you.”

When she left I sat down in our three room cabin on my chair that I made.

Why did I say settle down? That is the last thing I want to do. She is my friend. She might be as beautiful as an angel sent from God, but she is my friend.

I started thinking of all the nights I staid awake thinking of Ekaterina, thinking of stroking her long, soft, red hair and of waking up to her lovely face.

A pursing scream came from outside. I ran out to Ekaterina, penned by fear, on the ground looking in horror at my mother chanting a spell over her.

I jumped on my mother to stop her. I shouted at her to stop but it was too late. At the end of her spell Ekaterina went flying like a doll into the side of a structure.

“Mother, what have you done?!”

“I am making that cow pay for brainwashing you.”

“Mother, I love her with all my life and I will reverse whatever it was that you did to her.” As soon as the words came out of my mouth I knew I meant it. That is why I want her with me, because I love her.

Seeing her in danger made me realize it.

Her eyes got wide with fear as she stepped back. “You…You… love…her? But you said you didn’t!”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ekaterina stand unstably. I ran to her but stopped, her aura was not as sweet and kind as it always felt. It was as cold and evil as the devil himself.

She slowly raised her head and revealed that her once beautiful forest green eyes had turned a snow blue that could freeze a man in his steps. Her hands had turned into claws and her straight teeth had turned into little sharp daggers. With a little chuckle and an evil smile…

She ripped my skin off my bones.

I woke in a cold sweat. What the hell kind of dream was that? That woman’s chant was still in my head.

Sulum vicis, Zaden, in amore tibi demon inferni surrexit a cisternis possidebunt te et occiderent.

It sounds like Latin or something. It also sounds somewhat…familiar. But where did I hear it?

And killing Deny, (my nickname for Zayden) was the most disturbing thing I have ever dreamed about. I literally ripped him apart and…I was laughing the whole time. But it wasn’t me, it was someone controlling me.

I grunted in confusion, what in hell did I watch to make me think of that?

I looked at my stupid white ceiling in an attempt to get my head straightened out. This was wrong, I have not had a bad dream since I started dreaming about Deny; when I met him in fourth grade. I dreamed about him every night since we met eachother and never in that place. It had never been in that place. The places of my dreams stay the same; in Mexico, somewhere in Bolivia, Germany, in a tribe in Russia, and a few other places that I didn’t know the exact location; but that one is new. I never killed him in my dreams, I admit I thought about it sometimes but I didn’t. And who was that woman, was that his mom? Maybe, but outside my dreams were both adopted.

I jumped out of bed to rush to the shower. A shower will help me; I need to get ready for school. As I walked out of my room, the house was as quiet as it always is, Dan and Gill don’t get up for another hour. After my shower I put on whatever my hands grabbed on first that was in my light dresser. I had two small dressers and one held all my light jeans and shirts the other held my dark clothes. My room was white with a wooden desk by the window which is parallel to my bed while the dresser is on the back wall. It’s not big but I’m not here all the time.

My mother left me in a hospital that I was not born in. No one knows where who my real parents are. How I ended up here is because of stuck up religious people.

Gill and Dan were the life of the parties. Gill went to a party and had a one night stand with Dan. She was 16 when that one night stand turned into a holy war. The parents of both sides forced them to get married and have the baby. Gill had a baby with Dan but the baby died during the birth. Everyone thought it was over but when the parents heard about me, Dan and Gill had to adopt me and they never let me forget it.

It’s not that bad; they never harass me or bug me. I have a roof over my head and food on the table and Deny lives right next door. Yah, it has its downs but I have never cared, they aren’t my family.

After my shower and got dressed I put some waffles in the toaster. Now for my hair, my hair is not frizzy but it fizzes out a little. I went to my dryer and dried my hair to where it was still a little damp then went to my perfect waffles that I spread with peanut butter and syrup. Yep this is how I start every morning but today was different. Tonight was the end of school dance; the last day ends with a last dance and my sophomore year. I am going with Deny, like always, we go as friends but if that what it takes to keep him in my life…then that’s what I’ll be.











I sighed heavily as I walked out the door to pick up Kat so we can go in the carpool lane. My dream was a nightmare. Kat tore me apart like I was a chicken leg, and her eyes were as cold as ice. I shivered again and that woman…was she really my mother?

No, it was in the sixteen hundreds, it couldn’t be her.

And with this dance coming up puts a damper on the last day of school. If it weren’t for Kat being with me I would die. I stopped with my hands on the door handle. Is it weird that I have had dreams about Kat for seven years and never told her?

“No, it’s not,” I mumbled to myself as I got into my 1970 Dodge Challenger. “It’s not like they’re sex dreams. They’re just me and her hanging out. Yeah, they’re in the past and yeah they’re in weird places but nothing has happened.” Except for me getting torn up like a chew toy.

I started up Betty then looked at her. She was newly polished and back to looking like new from my dad wrecking it. Yeah, its neon pink but I can fix that.

Kat was already walking to the car with her bell bottom jeans and a white shirt with red roses on it to match her long, red-orange hair.

She got in the passenger’s seat with the “really?” look.

“A button up shirt?”

“Hey, I’m not a junior anymore. I am not limited to t-shirts with sayings and band names on them. I get to look professional”

“Your mom bought it for you, huh?”

I gave a heavy sigh in defeat, “Yeah...”

She sighed “Well…if that’s what she wants you to look like, the guy with gay shirts driving a pink car, that’s her thing.”

I patted Betsy “Don’t bring her into this. And how is it gay?”

“It’s vertically striped.”

“So?”

“Have you ever heard ‘stripes make you look skinnier’?”

I looked at her to find anything I could make fun of. I looked into her leaf green eyes and said “Isn’t a girl supposed to care about their shoes?”

She looked down to her old Heely sneakers that were missing the wheel and the heel cover. She looked back at me with a smile “I’m not a high heel girl and why do you think I wore bell bottoms?”

I chuckled “Come on drama queen, we gotta get to school.”

We started down the street as Betsy roared to wake up all the neighbors. We didn’t live on the nicest street; the nice street was a few streets over. Our street are the people that hate kids and will call the police if anything is out of code, so some mornings we’ll blare the engine to wake them up. Just for fun.

As we got on the highway I remembered what our tradition of the last day was. We had a few but this one was my favorite. I put in one of our favorite medal CD’s and got off the highway. I looked at Kat and she smiled one of her excited smiles.

“You remembered!” she exclaimed

“Hell yeah!”

We drove into a 24 hours Wendy’s and ordered one large chocolate and vanilla frosty. With the song blaring and both of us sharing frostys we headed to school.













I had even forgotten our CD and frosty tradition. I love it that he remembered, he’s so good with that kind of stuff. I barely can remember last week, let alone birthdays and people’s names that I don’t care about. He is the guy that can meet a person and two months later remember their name.

He is so awesome; I guess that is why I like him.

I don’t tell anyone that I like him because I don’t trust anyone enough. And I don’t tell him from fear that I might lose him. It’s stupid but I have a gut feeling not to tell him that I like him.

“So how’s your parents?” I asked.

They’re not his real parents. He was found in the back of an abandoned car, but they treat him like a son. They give him whatever he wants because they’re always away at work. Sometimes they will be away for weeks on business, leaving him alone. They’re both back right now but…

“It’s nice to know that they haven’t stopped loving each other.” When I just looked at him he just said, “They haven’t come out of there room since dinner.”

“Oh.” I blinked to get the image out of my mind and took another spoonful of the ice-cream treat “Good for them.”

“Not for me. It took twice as long to do my homework with all their noise.”

“Oh relax, it’s not like Mr. Moore will grade them, he just gives you credit if you have it filled out.” I shrugged as we came down our school street “Ok, do you know the plan?”

He smiled as he parked the car. “You will go to Kate’s house and get ready for the dance, I go and get ready then we both meet at the school at seven thirty and ditch when we lose interest.”

Yep, that’s how we always did school functions. Our school functions are over the top and a blast but there still school functions. On the bright side, something big always happens that people talk about until something better comes along.

I smiled as I finished off the frosty and we both got out of the car. “You are absolutely right my good man. Now,” I took his arm, “shall we go to class?”

“Yes, we shall my good lady,” he chuckled in his fake British accent as we walked to class.

Yep, this feels right.











This feels so right, me and my best friend, having a blast. This is how it’s always been and how I want to keep it. I know her life has been rough, but I want it to get better. Last nights dream changes nothing. Even though if it was scarier than hell.

I went over the dream, and being chewed up wasn’t the real thing that bothered me. It was the feeling of love towards her. I know it shouldn’t bother me but…

NO! I wouldn’t let it bother me! She’s my friend, nothing more.

We walked arm and arm until the front door of the school, and then went to our different classes.

I went to my first class, which was a study hall because of finals, as the last bell rang. Everyone was talking wile the teacher was reading a book with headphones in. This is how this teacher was with the last day of school. Since he couldn’t get the class to obey the rules on the last day, he just let them talk. This was one of the reasons that he was the favorite teacher.

I sat in my desk and was greeted by a slap on the back.

“Hey D, how’s it going” one of my “cool” friends named Tony greeted me. His brown skin was shining from skin care products and his black hair spiked. One of the more popular looks for jocks at our school. He was named one of the ten hottest guys of the school which made the girls love him, and he loved them too.

“Hey T, liking the last day?”

“You know it!” He slapped my back again, “The girls have nothing to lose and I am on fire.”

I looked at him a little worried, “What the hell are you talking about?”

“I have six dates planned for the summer so far. That is a personal best, and I bet C-dog that I could bed all six of them.”

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, he liked the girls alright.

“So, what about you?” He asked.

“What about me?”

“Are you going to finally bed someone, or at least do you have your mind on someone…”

When he said that only one girl came to mind.

I shook my head. Hell no! She is my best friend! Yeah she’s beautiful, funny, carrying, but I don’t think of her like that.

I sighed. “No, and I don’t plan to. I will wait until I have found my soul mate. Besides, I will bet that most the girls in our school have sex diseases.”

“Really? Who do you think they got it from, Oh Wise Virgin?”

“You!”

He sat back in his seat, “Now that wasn’t nice.”

“Well with you being a man whore and all…”

“Now that’s really not nice!”

“The truth isn’t always nice.”

He shrugged and started talking to the person behind him.

I didn’t mean to be that harsh but it had to be said by someone that he could take seriously. It was an understood respect that we kept, if we gave advice than we would take it seriously. It has been that way for years and I liked this relationship.

Since this was the last day we had an early release so they could get ready for the dance tonight. For some reason I couldn’t concentrate for my remaining final. I couldn’t stop thinking about Kat and the dreams. Not just the one last night but all of them. All the places and times I’ve dreamed of, somewhere in Asia in one of the World Wars, near Moscow, all the way to Mexico. Every since we have been friends I have had dreams with her in it. I have never really thought about it but…









Ug! I can’t focus! I have to concentrate for my history final and I can’t get the dreams out of my mind. And mostly that woman’s words…

I shuddered. For some reason those words make me want to puke, but I can’t figure out why. Also, for some reason, I feel hate for that woman. I don’t hate anyone! But the thought of her pisses me off, and I don’t even know who she is.

And…I could have imagined it but I think Deny called her mom. I’m not sure, the experience we so….confusing. It was like I was possessed. I could feel everything but I was not controlling any of it. I felt fear, true fear, and it was so cold; not just physically cold but my whole being was cold. It is hard to explain but it is like being in a haunted house that you are positive demons are in there.

“Kat…Kat!”

I was shot out of my train of thought. Probably for the better…

“What.” I responded to the person who saved me from my thoughts.

It turned out to be Kate my best friend. She is a regular girl with a regular life and better then regular looks but she has been there for me most of the time and for that I owe her a lot. With out her I would be the laughing stalk of the school.

“Are you OK, you looked really serious?”

“I’m OK, just stressing about the final next period.” I looked around and noticed that the whole room was talking. I looked at the clock and it was one minute before we went to our next class. Where did all the time go?

“Don’t worry, you’ll do great. We are still going to my house before the dance right?”

“Yeah, Dany said it was OK.”

“Cool,” the bell rang and we all started to go to our next class “We’ll meet at my car about 20 after school gets out. K?”

“Yeah, see you then” I said as we parted ways to our last finals. I’m glad she talked to me, now maybe I can focus on the next test.

***************

“Come on! I was done getting ready an hour ago.” I look at the clock that read 7:15 and I knew that it would probably take us an half an hour to get parked.

“Don’t worry I’ll be right out.” She yelled from the bathroom. She lived about ten minutes from the school by car and her parents didn’t get home till late. She lived in a two story blue house with a well kept yard. It was the American dream house, white picket fence and all. Her room was on the main floor and the bathroom what right next to her room.

I walked into her small room and looked at her full length mirror. My hair was not majorly curled but it looked nice. I was wearing a white gown based dress that went with my body perfectly and matching shoes. I looked at my face and the makeup that Kate had put on my face made me look like a model. For some reason my forest green eyes just seemed to pop under my eyelashes.

“Wow” I muttered. I just hope I look this good in Deny’s eyes.

“I know. You and me look gorgeous.” She came walking in with her black hair in a bumped fashion and straitened with her midnight blue short prom dress with a black ribbon under her boobs to make them look bigger. Personally it wasn’t my style but on her Latino body, it looked great. She had a similar makeup that made her brown eyes pop like mine.

“And you didn’t want to spend five hours getting ready.” Kate always was good at fashion and looking good but I never knew she was this good.

“Well Kate, I have no idea how I can pay you back for this.” I said, even though it took as long as hell, we both looked amazing.

She sat on her bed and looked at me. But not just looking at me, more looking into my soul, “Answer a question honestly. Then I will forgive your debt.”

I looked at her, she made me carry her books around for a weak because I forgot to bring her back her notes for a test. So there is no way that it will be that easy. “What is your question?”

She smiled, this was not good “Ekaterina, are you in love with Zayden?”

Oh crap.

I have known her for a long time but I have never told anyone my secret. She wouldn’t tell but…

“Yes” I said hesitantly.

Her smile became wider, “I knew it.”

“Will you tell anyone?” I had to ask.

“No, but you have to realize that everyone knows you like him, but he’s to stupid to see his feeling for you.”

Hope filled in my heart, “You think he likes me too?”

She got up, “I know he loves you and once he see’s that, you both will live happily ever after.”

Don’t get your hopes up…

“Did you hear something?” I said making her stop when she was about to leave the room.

“No. now come on; let’s go get our dance on!”

I shrugged, yeah I must be hearing things.

I looked at my watch then back at the parking lot. It was seven thirty on the dot and everyone was trying to find a parking spot. I don’t know why but I felt anxious that they weren’t here yet. I don’t know why but I just wanted to see Kat so bad.

“Well, look who we have here.”

I stood straight as I heard his voice. It was the class bully, Jeremy. He is a wannabe gangster that thinks he’s something. I don’t care what anyone says, you can’t be gangster and be scared of dissecting a frog because “It will attack you if you cut it open”.

He came over and patted me on the back to where I can see his snow white skin and shaved blond hair out of the corner of my eye.

“What do you want?” I asked him, I know I should pretend he is not there but I knew he wasn’t going to leave me alone.

“Just seeing if your date is here yet.” He looked at me “but she’s not your date because you don’t like her.”

I stood there, first of all because I was trying to block out his voice, secondly because I wanted to see where he was going with this.

When I stayed silent he continued “She has been chasing you for years and if you only like her as a friend then maybe I’ll take a shot at her. And… well, you know, Kat has a hot body so if you won’t bang her then I will.”

I found my fist in his face faster than I thought I could move. He fell on the ground with a shocked expression, as well as everyone that was watching.

I froze. I had never reacted that way in my life. From people teasing me to calling me names, I had always stayed calm. I knew Kat would never go for a guy like him but the image in my mind made me want to kill him.

Two people that hung around Jeremy came to help him up. At that moment everyone else started moving again. Like time stopped and there movement got it going again. I stood straight as he stood up.

“I told you not to, dog. Not here. Now let’s go before a teacher comes.” One of his buddies told him.

“You can’t get into a fight, you're on probation. Remember.” Said the other but Jeremy smiled.

“We will finish this! You hear me!” He yelled at me as his friends took him away.

I made eye contact with everyone that was looking at the scene. As soon as my eyes hit them they looked away and moved. As soon as the crowd cleared I started to think. Why did the image of him and Kat together make me react that way? I knew she wouldn’t go out with him but…

“Wow, Deny. You look sharp.”

I turned my head to where Kat’s voice came from, worried that she saw what happened, but when my eyes got a hold of her my breath was taken. Her white dress was simple but beautiful and fit to her curves. Her hair looked beautiful as it went past her shoulders. Her red-orange color waved and curled to make it look natural. Lastly her face glowed from the school lights making her look like an angel. I couldn’t help get lost in her beautiful green eyes that seemed to be the most beautiful part about her.

I looked at her and my mind went blank. Then I knew if I were to see Jeremy again I would kill him.









I looked at him. His hair looked soft and shiny in this lighting. I had lost track of how many times I had wanted to flow my hand through his dark brown hair. The tux that he borrowed from his dad fit well on him. So well, that he looked like a movie star, tall dark and handsome. I had never wanted to kiss him more then at this moment.

He kept looking at me for some reason but I didn’t know what.

“Is there something wrong?” I panicked. I looked OK at the house and when Kate left with her date she said I looked fine.

He moved towards me “No! Nothings wrong. You just look…beautiful”

I looked up into his beautiful light brown eyes. He thought I was beautiful.

My stomach turned and I suddenly felt cold.

“Maybe we should go inside.” He asked.

“Good idea” I took some deep breaths. It must be a chilly night. I just have butterflies in my stomach. That’s the reason I feel this way.

But my gut told me that wasn’t it, I could feel something was wrong, but I’m not going to let anything ruin this. I will just ignore it until it goes away.

That sounds like a good idea.

Don’t be an idiot …

I looked around. It was the same voice as before.

“You OK Kat?” Denny asked.

“Yeah, I’m just hearing things.”

He looked worried but kept walking until we got to the gym doors. He held the door open for me and led me to the dance floor. The music was loud and fast as we danced. The bad gut feeling was washed away by the music and we were having a great time.

We danced until we needed a break, then we sat down at an empty table.

“Man, this is awesome!” I told Deny “The Christmas lights make great lighting and the music is better than home coming. It usually gets boring by now.”

A smile crossed Deny’s face that seemed to light the whole room. “Well I’m glad to hear that but I have a surprise for you.”

My heart skipped a beat, “A surprise! Well, come on, show me it!”

He chuckled “We have to walk to it,” he stood and held his hand out to me. “But trust me, it’s worth the walk.”

My stomach started to turn and a cold shiver went down my spine. I ignored it, it is probably just nerves.

Run…don’t go…

I looked around. It must have been someone calling for their date.

“Well, u coming?” Deny offered with his hand out reached.

I slid my hand into his, “Sure.” I’ll follow you anywhere.

He helped me up, then lead me out of the gym and down the south halls.

We hit some doors that I knew led to the elective box. It was a ten foot by ten foot box made from six and a half foot brick walls. I have no idea why it was built or when but I know the school uses it for the elective classes. If some clay or something needs to dry then they put it in here. This is also the classroom for the gardening class, which I convinced Deny to take.

“You ready?” He looked at me with the most beautiful smile.

I felt like I would puke. Also, I felt like I was being watched or something bad was about to happen.

“Is it OK if were here?”

“Yeah, I got special permission from the Vice Principal. It pays to be a goody two shoes.”

He started to open the door, but I didn’t feel any better. I wasn’t going to back out though, this has been one of the most magical nights of my life and I wouldn’t let Deny down.

Deny covered my eyes and, right before he started leading me into the box, he whispered excitedly in my ear “No peeking.” That simple gesture made my heart leap as he started directing me. We didn’t go far but once he uncovered my eyes my breath was taken.









Her face was priceless as her eyes hit the gardening classes’ final project. We all had one three foot box to grow our own mini gardens that made one big garden. We were graded on how we arranged it, what flowers we had and how hard it is to keep them alive in this Colorado climate.

Kat walked forward and started sniffing and studding each flower. She even took off her shoes to feel the cool grass under her feet. The way she moved was so graceful and, if she wasn’t taking her time on each set of flowers, you might think she was dancing.

“The one in the corner is mine.” I pointed to my final. I planted a hybrid jasmine that had white and purple flowers and moonflowers. It was luck that my white moonflowers flourished, its vine trailed up the wall to where it almost reached the top of the wall. The vine was covered in the open white flowers that I couldn’t help but be proud of.

Kat spun like a ballerina, making her knee length dress spin with her. She gasped as she danced toward the moonflower.

“There open at night!” She exclaimed, “There so beautiful!” She petted the flower before picking it off and putting it in her hair.

That’s when I looked at her. I mean really looked at her. The flower matched her dress and made her look dazzling. Her smile as she spun to look at me made my knees weak.

I realized why I was so hurt by Jeremy’s words. I now know why I go to Kat when I’m sad and alone. I now know I don’t mind going to dances or shopping with her.

Because I love her…









I was so happy. The moon and stars were so beautiful, the grass was cold on my high heel tortured feet, the flowers were pretty when being kissed by the moons light and Zayden wanted to share it with me. It was like a fairy tail.

But I still felt it, like something was about to go horribly wrong. I started feeling cold. Not just physically but like my whole being was being touched by something dark.

I suddenly wanted to run. To get away from here. Something was not right.

Hurry! Before it is too late! Run!

The voice… I couldn’t mistake it. It was coming from my head. It was too clear and too loud to be from somewhere else.

I needed to run, but as soon as I took the first step I fell.

Not from slipping but from the coldness. Like a heavy, black sheet had pinned me down.

I could feel my limbs going numb. It started at the tips of my toes and fingers and went up. It was like nails were stabbing away control of my body. I tried to move parts that felt cold but they wouldn’t move.

It seemed like forever till it got to my elbows and knees, even though it wasn’t more than a minute.

I saw Zayden move closer.

“Run! Get away!” I tried to yelled, but he instead took a step closer.

I felt heavy. I couldn’t even lift my head. Everything was cold and vile. I tried to close my eyes but even they wouldn’t work. I was plagued with fear as the darkness took full control. I tried to make it stop but I felt so weak, being surrounded by the darkness. There was nothing I could do.









I couldn’t get Kat’s face out of my head. Her green eyes were filled with fear as her head dropped. As she slumped on the ground like a doll, a dark, almost haunting, feeling came over me. I felt like running away, but I won’t leave the one I love. I took a step. I will not leave without her.

“…run…” I thought I heard her whisper “…get… away…”

I took another step but was frozen with fear.

I looked closely at her to make sure, but I was right. She was radiating unbelievably strong evil energy. Like the waves you see on the blacktop on a hot summer day. These waves looked demonic and seemed to weigh me down, just as it must be weighing Kat down.

I can’t tell you how long I was paralyzed but it took everything that I had to talk.

“Ekaterina?” I asked but that is all I could say.

Her head shot up. Her eyes had turned to a shocking ice blue that froze me to my core with fear. Her smile was wicked as she looked at me. It looked like she should be the killer in a horror movie.

I don’t know what has happened but I knew that wasn’t Kat.

She moved slowly into a crouch. Her teeth had become blades and her nails became claws.

“K-Kat?” I stumbled back because I was shaking so hard.

Her head tilted and a chuckle came from her lips. That chuckle turned into an in-human growl as she leaped on to me, pinning me on the ground.

I looked up at her as her right hand came down on my skin, ripping it from me.

I yelled in agony from the pain pulsing from the wound.

Her hand rose to take more skin. I let my eyes close, for I knew it was the end.









“NO!” I cried as I saw what my body had done to him.

His chest was a horrible bloody mess. Cloth and flesh scattered over everything and I knew the next swipe would take his heart.

I did everything I could to summon all my strength, but I could do nothing.

I could still feel everything, the grass under my feet to the warm blood and flesh in my fingernails but I couldn’t control any of it.

I looked at the man I loved. Why was I doing this!? Why does he have to die!?

A gunshot made me lose my train of thought as a warm pain came from my palm.

My body looked up and jumped off Zayden at lightning speed to get ready to pounce at the person that shot my hand.

A woman stood on the brick wall with a rifle pointed at me. She had long black hair and white skin. She wore a black t-shirt with dark jeans and black boots.

I knew her from somewhere but I couldn’t remember where or what her name was.

My body leaped at the woman with the intention of killing. Instead of running, the woman shot again but this time into my shoulder, passing through the skin. The shot altered my course to where I went over the wall, missing her completely. I fell into the grass that softened my fall a little, but not much.

I groaned at how my body ached but I knew I didn’t have control when my body got up.

It looked up at the now person less wall but instead of going and killing Zayden it turned and started running. I could feel its excuse was that it needed to heal before it fought that woman. I didn’t know why, but I felt hatred towards her and so did the demon controlling me.

I had no idea where we were running but I didn’t care. As long as Zayden is safe, I didn’t care where I went.





Instead of feeling more pain, a gunshot made my ears ring.

I struggled to open my eyes and what I saw I hardly believed.

Kat was not on me anymore, and was now jumping over the six foot wall like it was nothing. She was going for a woman with black hair on the wall. My eyes closed again and I had to fight to open them. I was able to open them when the jolt of the second shot rang in my ears.

All I could see was Ekaterina flying over the wall with blood all over her white dress and the black haired women running towards me.



“…Kat…” was all I could get out before passing out. The only thing in my mind was the image of Kat falling with gunshot wounds and the blood all over her. Whatever is happening to her, I will do everything to be by her side.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.