INSANITY | Teen Ink

INSANITY

February 14, 2013
By beachbum96 BRONZE, Palm Coast, Florida
More by this author
beachbum96 BRONZE, Palm Coast, Florida
1 article 3 photos 0 comments

Author's note: Well, the idea to write this piece sprang into my mind while I was sitting upon the bench at my bus stop kicking my feet against the gravel. I suppose I was tired and impatient and bored all at the same time. I just imagined to myself what would happen if the world started to fall apart right there and then.

The concrete made a crunching noise as I walked to the bus. The early morning fog nearly made the bus stop invisible. I looked down at my sneakers and tried to focus on walking, but all I could think about was pleasurable sleep. My eyes worked against my brain in trying to stay awake,but I stayed strong. I was about to grab my cellphone out of my pocket ,but my actions were interrupted when I heard someone calling my name. “Annemarie! Hey Wait!” I turned my head to see my boyfriend Mason sprinting towards me. Mason had short dirty blonde hair and baby blue eyes. I stopped myself and waited for him to catch up. As soon as he did he asked me the question in which I knew I would be asked a billion times today. “Are you afraid?” he asked curiously. “Afraid of what? You know its all just a rumor.” I said still tired. “You don’t know that for sure” He mumbled under his breath. Today was January first 2012 and the day that is said to be the day the world will come to an end. We both went quiet until our feet met up with the sidewalk. We stood there quietly. My best friend Lordis appeared from behind the tree’s in her backyard. Lordis had blonde short hair that matched with the color of sand laying on the beach. Her eye’s were a sea green. All three of us exchanged smiles. Still no sound came from our mouth’s. From the way Lordis’ looked it told me she was nervous and scared aswell as Mason.
The bus was almost to our stop and we could see its shadowy figure down the road. Mason looked towards Lordis and me. “Well, stay alive” he said dramatically. I looked at him and sarcastically sighed. Mason was a senior and Lordis and me were still in our junior year and since there were so many teens at our school we rode different buses.
As I slammed into my seat I wiped the window with my arm and watched as Mason stood there on the sidewalk waiting for his bus. I began to think to myself thoughts that I never wanted to think. I thought about if I would be alive tomorrow. I also thought about if the rumors weren’t rumors at all but warnings. My thoughts were interrupted when Lordis requested to sit with me. As she sat next to me from the corner of my eye I watched as she bowed her head. “What exactly are you doing?” I asked politely. “Praying, maybe you should try it” She answered. I pretended like I didn’t hear her correctly and re-asked. “Well considering the world may be ending....” She stopped when her crush Kevin walked onto the bus. Why did she even like him? He was nothing more than a unattractive wannabe in my opinion. Ive confronted her that he was just another player many times before ,but she refused to listen. I watched as her face filled with happiness as she hugged him and as he rolled his eyes. If only she could see that she didn’t deserve him ,and that he wouldn’t help her when she needed him. She looked back at me. “He is so cute!” She whispered making sure he wouldn’t hear her. “ Oh yeah, he’s adorable” I said sarcastically. Lordis noticed my sarcasm and ignored me the rest of the bus ride to school.
As soon as the bus pulled into its lot everyone on the bus waited impatiently to get off. I never understood why anyone would be in a rush to go to school, it was school. Everyday was boring and similar to the rest of the days. If I only knew what was going to happen.
Through first and second period all I could think about was sleep. My eyelids were closing silently and a few times I drifted into a rest. I watched the clock hands move, it seemed like they were moving in slow motion. The thoughts running through my mind were all associated with Mason and I wondered if he were thinking of me too. Ive known Mason for seven years why wouldn’t he be thinking of me? I gestured myself to stop thinking and suggested that I pay attention. I took a glance at my teacher and demanded my ears to listen ,but I soon suffered from boredom and went back to my thoughts.

Twirling my pencil on top of the davenport entertained me for quite a bit during fifth period. My teacher went on about the forces of gravity and I just sat there pretending I was amused.My eyes noticed that everyone had their head laying upon their desk. I chuckled to myself. Several turned and looked at me like I owned five heads. That only made me laugh more. I started to listen to the power point my teacher was giving when she announced we were going to take notes. My eyes focused on the screen as my hands wrote on the paper. I looked down to make sure I was writing correctly. When I looked back up something was wrong with the scene. The screen started to quiver . My teacher stared at the screen not knowing what to think of the trembling. The textbooks started to fall from the cabinets. All of our pencils began rolling onto the floor. We all huddled together towards the door. “Dismiss all students now!” our principle shouted into the intercom. His voice sounded broken and terrified. My teacher opened the door and peeked into the hallway. Loud piercing screams filled the hall. Several students ran back to their seat and gathered their books. A few students including me sprinted to the bus zone. The halls were loud and violent. Students were unloading their lockers and exiting the building in a hurry. I didn’t know what to do. I pinched myself hoping that I was dreaming. Nothing happened. I was left standing silently outside for a few seconds listening to the rampage around me. I felt my cellphone vibrating in my back pocket and was quick to retrieve it. It showed that I had three missed calls from an unknown number. I was about to put it back into my pocket when the unknown number called again. “Hello!” I screamed as loud as I could into the phone so that the caller could hear my voice over all the noise. “Annemarie it’s me Mason I am coming to pick you up!” I heard Mason say. “Huh? What’s going on!” I hollered into the phone wiping my eyes as I began to cry. “Listen everything is going to be okay! I am coming for you just stay in a safe place!” he shouted. Before I could speak again he hung up. Instead of obeying him ,I dialed my mothers cellphone number. I heard no dialing. My phone alerted me that there was no service and I became even more frightened. I jogged outside where I saw most of my classmates running around. I would like to say that they were running around playing a simple game of tag ,but that was not the case. They were running from falling tree’s and lamp post’s. “Annemarie! Help!” I heard Lordis scream in terror. I turned my head only to see my school building caving down. Lordis was running for her life against the falling building. I zoomed towards her as fast as I could forcing my legs to run faster ,but they started to give up. Lordis also started to give up. I heard a last shriek of terror from Lordis and others that were trying to prevent their death from the building. I watched how the ceiling broke into hard boulders of concrete and how they tumbled onto my best friend and my classmates. I watched my friends fate and felt heartbroken and destroyed.
I made my way towards the road trying so hard not to look behind me at the terrified screaming students. The road was empty and there were no cars as far as the I can see. With my hands hidden over my face I sat there on the sidewalk waiting for Mason. Thinking what I could have done to help Lordis. Sobbing quietly and wanting to die I tried to hold myself together.The piercing sound’s of fate were banging on my eardrums. My hands switching from my eyes to my ears every couple of seconds.
Minutes later a blue medium sized SUV Hybrid pulled up in front of me. Forcing my legs to help me I stood up. The windows rolled down. The doors unlocked and their in the driver’s seat sat Mason. Wiping tears away I managed to get into the passengers seat and buckle up. “Are you alright? Where’s Lordis?” He asked in a hurry. My throat burned as if it were thrown like a piece of wood into a fire. “Annemarie?” Mason asked again impatiently. “She...She’s dead” I managed to choke out bursting into a loud cry. Mason watched me as I formed a river of tears into my hands. He rubbed my shoulder in comfort. “It’s okay” he repeated many times his words echoed through my ears. I shoved his hand away and let my head rest onto the window. For a few more seconds he watched me in pain and then he replaced his hand onto the driving wheel. He slowly pressed the gas and drove us away.
My knee banged against the door, I woke up in a sleeping position with the seat pushed downward and Mason’s jacket substituting as a blanket. I helped my body up to see what was going on. “Where are we” I asked fervently. “Georgia” Mason replied determinedly. “Where are we going?” I question in all seriousness. “Somewhere safe” he answered passionately. I glared out the window to see nothing more than empty roads. I swore to myself it was all a nightmare, a terrible nightmare that I would soon wake up from. “How are you feeling?” Mason asked while watching the road. “Scared” I undoubtedly answered while looking out the window.`I pictured life as it was just a few hours before. There were cars and lots of them , so many that their was traffic. Now their were dead bodies, tree’s that fell on top of cars, and barely anyone in sight. Mason reached his hand toward the radio. He tried to rummage through the channels to hear the news. “The world is coming to an end, we are surely all going to die” one radio station said. “Scientists were right!” Another radio station screamed. I turned off the radio and looked at Mason. “Don’t you listen to them, alright? We are going to live.” He said hoping to himself that the statement he just made would be true. We were both unsure of what was going to happen,but we both knew that we needed to stay strong.

The grumbling sound’s I could hear coming from my stomach only made me more hungrier than I was. Mason’s eyes were fighting to stay open. He pulled over at a motel we gained sight of nearby. “Claitmans Comfort Vacancy” the lighted sign read. The hotel looked like it was in good condition. It was probably the only building we’ve seen that hasn’t crumbled to pieces or that wasn’t in the process of falling apart. Mason pulled into the parking lot not caring if he parked correctly. We slammed the doors behind us as we got out. For a few moments we stretched our legs and tried to stand straight. I tried very hard not to relive what ive seen in my mind but the whole scene kept playing over and over rewinding itself. “Alright let’s go into the office and see if anyone is here” Mason said walking towards me. I agreed and led the way. Almost tripping over a step we both arrived inside the small office. The dim lighting only made the motel seem creepy. “Ring bell for assistance” read a little sign pointing to a normal silver bell. I looked at Mason and he nodded giving me the sign to ring the bell. I tapped my hand slightly upon the bell and waited for a response. We leaned against the counter tired and hungry and aching to see another human. Five minutes went by and still no reply. “Maybe the owner went on a break” I suggested. “Seriously? When the world is ending?” Mason said sarcastically. I shrugged and walked behind the desk. Their were two shelf’s with small keys hanging from nails. I grabbed the key which read “Room 23” and walked out of the office towards the room. Mason grabbed a key which read “Room 24” and walked towards his room. “Will you be okay?” he asked full of exaustion. “Yea” I said facing downwards. His hand brushed my bangs to the side and he continued to his room. I unlocked my room and placed the keys on a wooden dresser. I immediately walked forward to the bathroom and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I spoke to myself silently for a while. I then walked to the television provided and turned it on. All I received was a snowy screen and a black text box in the middle reading that there was no signal. I turned the television back off and sat upon the bed. I wondered to myself what Mason was doing. I figured he was probably already sleeping so I decided to go to take a shower.
A loud siren went off the next morning. I remembered I set the alarm clock the night before and calmed myself down. The warmth of the blanket the motel had made me feel safe. The protection feeling ended within seconds when the alarm clock fell onto the floor and scooted across the room. I jumped up and ran outside and repeatedly knocked on the door of the room where Mason was staying. He opened the door and was quick to get back into the car as I followed. “How was your night?” I asked Mason. “It was alright” he replied laughing. We both laughed for a few seconds.
Miles went by and so did time. We passed a few small towns and saw very little human existence. There were large fires throughout each road and each town looked like something off a movie. “Don’t look back!” Mason yelled a terrifying screech in his voice. His arm barred me back against the seat. His right foot slammed on the gas. All my ears could hear was the engine roaring as we sped through the road and Mason repeating to look forward. I shoved his arm away and turned my body around to look out the back window. I suddenly gasped in shock when I saw what he was trying to prevent me from seeing. It looked like the road behind us was being sucked into the core of the earth. Fire arose and the building’s began to fall. To the left the sea began to spill through the tree’s. All we could see now was the ocean roaring behind us beginning to form a large tsunami. Mason grabbed my hand and held it. Mason and I dramatically held hands tightly as the water began to strike the car. I thought Mason and I were about to meet our fate. I closed my eyelids tightly and held on to the car seat. Mason did the same. The car flipped and twirled in the water and somehow we were still alive. I managed to peek out the window and saw nothing but blue water. I looked over at Mason. Mason’s hands were gripping onto the steering wheel and his eyes were closed. I looked specifically at his chest to make sure he was still breathing. Mason never enjoyed height’s and I was somewhat proud of him for staying strong.
“Annemarie?” I heard a blurry voice speak. “Annemarie?” the voice spoke louder. I opened my eyes to Mason leaning over me. “Wha..what happened?” I asked holding my head up. “The car finally hit the ground. I think you blanked out when your head slammed against the window. I thought we might be safer in here.” He said looking around aimlessly. I looked around and saw that we were inside a small abandoned restaurant. Mason made his way through a door that read “Employee’s Only”. “What are you doing in there?” I asked. “I’m hungry aren’t you?” He smiled with an eerie smile. “Well yea..” I said jogging over towards the kitchen.
Satisfied with the food we ate, we still wondered what the future held. I had so many question’s about the situation we were in. Was there anyone still alive other than us I asked myself. “Maybe we should stay here until this whole thing is over” Mason suggested. I shook my head in disagreement. “Any better idea’s?” He asked with anger in his voice. “There has to be other people alive.” I replied sternly. “And your point is?” He asked even ruder. “My point is we need to find them” I replied nastily. He turned and walked towards the bathroom totally ignoring my suggestion. “Fine” I said stubbornly and walked towards the front of the restaurant. My hand’s reached for the door handle and began to twist. “Wait” He shouted uselessly. My ear’s declined and I continued. Without thinking I walked outside. I screamed and jumped back when I realized that I was staring down into the core of the earth. Mason pulled me back inside and shut the door. “I told you!” He screamed angrier than before. Ignoring his roaring angry voice I began to cry to myself. “When is this going to end?” I cried. I heard no response. Mason turned me around so that our eye’s met. He hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead as I cried. I couldn’t stop the tears that fell from my eyes. For a while we stood there just holding each other and sharing our feelings.
Mason was asleep laying on the carpet as I watched. I tried to fall asleep but couldn’t. I thought about my family and if they were alive or dead. Did I want to know? I was curled up towards the corner of the restaurant. My head bobbed against the wall and my arms and hands were around my legs. Mason talked in his sleep but that didn’t bother me much. Forcing my brain to hatch an idea wasn’t working so well. All that filled my head was thoughts and questions like a sandstorm in the desert. I continued watching Mason as he rolled back and forth trying to gain comfort. I couldn’t release the idea that this was all a dream although it was very clear that it wasn’t. My stomach made a large grunting noise which almost made me yelp. I turned and looked in the direction of the restaurant’s kitchen. As silently as I could, I ambled into the kitchen.
The kitchen was filled with silver shiny pots and pans that hung from bars that were connected to the ceiling. It seemed that many of the pots had fell onto the floor. A tree branch broke through a window that was over the stove. To the right of me there was a huge pantry door open with a pile of food spilling out. The tip of my shoe touched a can that looked like it had rolled out of the pantry. I clutched the can to read it’s label. I squinted and tried to read what the label read, but it was so torn and mangled that it was extremely complicated. It seemed that without my permission my legs started running towards the refrigerator that I gained sight of with the corner of my eye. My fingers ripped open the door hoping for there to be something to eat. As soon as I saw the containers full of food I wanted to cry with tears of joy. I heard chuckling behind me as Mason approached me. “Don’t eat too much” Mason mumbled under his breath while laughing quietly. I ignored him and started eating.

The next morning Mason and I woke up around the same time. “I bet there are other people out there” He said playing with his hair. “There are!” I yelled a little louder than I wanted to. Without replying Mason stood himself up and banged his fist against the door. I watched as he looked at the door with mixed emotions. I forced my legs to stand up slowly. “We are going” He strictly replied. I would have tried to argue .but the emotion in Mason’s face told me that I would not win. Mason turned back towards the door. His eyes rested on the door knob for a few seconds. I could tell even though he was determined to open the door and walk out fear was letting him hesitate. I reached my hand out and covered his on the door knob. He looked towards me and we both saw each other’s fear. As we twisted the door knob I closed my eyes. I was terrified to see what the world looked like. “Open your eye’s” I heard Mason’s voice saying in a low monotone. My heart sank and I felt as if I just had swallowed my throat. My eyelids began to open.
“Mount Everest?” I said not believing my own eyes. Mason just stared outside gaping. “I don’t..” I quietly babbled with misunderstanding. “I’m not the greatest at geography ,but my guess is the world is colliding” Mason tried to make his words heard clearly. I thought to myself if what Mason said was even possible. It had to be. I was standing on the edge of the floor of a restaurant looking down at the bottom of Mount Everest. Mason turned and pulled me in. He shut the door behind us, but I still looked at the door for a while. “Here” Mason said throwing me a curtain. Mason ripped another curtain from another window of the restaurant. I Studied my eyes on the curtain puzzled on what I was to do with it. “Rap it around yourself” Mason instructed me. “Why?” I asked obeying his instruction. “It is freezing out there!” He said enthusiastic. Now my eye’s studied on Mason like he was crazy. “Are you completely nuts?” I asked him. “It’s the only way unless you want to be stuck in a restaurant alone while the world is ending” He said sure of himself. “There has to be a radio...” I divulged while shoveling through pantry doors. All I heard was the booms and bangs of Mason frantically searching for a radio behind me. “Nothing” I heard him announce. My hands still continued although I already knew there would be no luck. Mason didn’t have to hear my voice to assure him that I had no luck. Mason was laying on top of three chairs he attached. His eyes just stared at the ceiling with acrimony. “We are dieing” He cried before I had the chance to comfort him. “Why would you say that?” I disputed. “Realize the truth” he acknowledged. “The truth? Or how about the coward that you are!” I shouted. “We’ve survived, we are alive right now and so what if we are the last ones alive? So what!” I blustered as tears began to fall. No word’s appeared from his mouth he just looked at me. He reminded me of a brick wall. He just stood there as his sparkly green eyes settled on mine. “Look...I know that your abashed and I am too” I stuttered. “However lack of confidence isn’t going to change our position” I paused myself as he started to inject words into the conversation. I waited patiently for him to speak. Instead of words coming out his hands came out and waited for me to lean forward to complete a hug.
Hours went by as we both started to lose our hope. Our faith slowly drained out of our bodies. I prayed that it would all just end. I also prayed that God would answer my prayers. Mason was in an emotional state so I didn’t bother him much. I urged myself to speak to him and try at least to comfort him, but I knew he wanted to be left alone. I wished that I was back at home surrounded by my family. My wish didn’t come true and I honestly didn’t expect it to. I was deep in my thoughts when I heard rapid knocking at the front doors. Like a pair of loyal dogs Mason and I hopped up immediately. The rapid knocking continued. “Anyone in there?” A roaring voice came from behind the doors. I looked at Mason wondering if we should reply or not. “Uh yeah?” Mason asked with a shaky voice. Mason walked with caution slowly towards the door. As his hand grabbed onto the door knob he looked at the door with a bit of worried feelings, but built up his courage and began to open the door.
A tall muscular boy ran in right before my eyes. “Thank you guys so much, I didn’t think there was anyone left and it’s freezing out there” He yelled trying to catch his breath as he pointed out the window. Mason concentrated his eyes on the boy. “Whats your name?” Mason asked holding out his hand. The boy shook Mason’s hand and as soon as he had enough breath replied “Damon”. Damon had brown short hair that seemed like he had shaved it not too long ago, and big brown eyes. He wore cowboy boots that made a loud boom as he walked. I noticed that he had a loud country accent. “Nice to meet you Damon” I replied as politely as possible. “Hey” He said smiling. “So what exactly is going on out there?” Mason asked trying to sound mighty. “It’s crazy” Damon sat down in a chair and dug his face into his hands. Mason glared at him and looked up at me. “Well we tried to find more people” I said trying to restart conversation. “And how did that work out for ya’ll? He laughed. “What does it look like” Mason rudely announced. “Mason!” I hissed. Mason went quiet and continued with his back against the wall. “What’s his problem?” Damon mouthed as I shrugged. “There is a kitchen past that door if your hungry” I Looked down and pointed to the door. Damon stood up and made his way to the kitchen. As soon as he went through the door and it slammed behind him Mason waved me over. “I don’t like him” Mason whispered. “I frankly don’t care” I replied. Mason just looked at me and started to pout. He ignored me and Damon for a while.

After having a long conversation with Damon out of boredom I thought he was a pretty cool person. Damon told me all about his life and interests as I told him. “So is Mason ok?” He asked curious to his previous behavior. “Yea he is just rude sometimes” I replied embarased of Mason’s first impression. “I hear you” Mason called out from across the room. Damon was about to apologize ,but I tapped him with my elbow as a sign to not say anything. “Good then straighten your attitude” I yelled back. “Whatever” Mason said rolling his eyes. Right now Mason reminded me of a whiny little child. Damon and I ignored Mason’s attitude. “I’ll be right back” I told them as I made my way to the restroom. I closed the restroom door behind me. I lightly placed my head against the door to hear what Damon and Mason were talking about, but it was silent. I waited impatiently for them to talk. “What is your deal?” Damon asked Mason in a low whisper that was just loud enough for me to hear. “You” Mason angrily roared. I heard loud footsteps march into the kitchen. I flushed the toilet and ran the sink so they would think I was using the restroom and not eavesdropping. I accidentally tripped as I strutted back out pretending like I heard nothing. Embarrassment flooded inside of me as I realized Damon watched me trip. “Normally trip on flat surfaces huh?” He asked laughing. “Hey! It takes skill” I said smiling.He nodded his head . “So where did Mason go?” I asked playing stupid. Damon lifted his hand and pointed towards the kitchen. I turned and walked slowly towards the kitchen. I stopped when I heard what sounded like pots slamming into the wall. Damon hopped up and stood in front of me with his arm telling me not to walk forward. I didn’t know whether to push him away or just stay back so I stood there. I haven’t seen Mason like this in a long time, and I didn’t know why he was angry, but I wanted to find out. I slowly lowered Damon’s protective arm from in front of me and walked ahead.
My fingers stuck to the blue kitchen door. I heard several angrily thrown kitchen materials hit the floor, but still I pushed the door open slowly. “Mason” I called. “Get rid of him!” Mason growled as his eyes formed an evil stare. I forcefully shoved him. “What is your problem!” I screamed loudly. His mellow green eyes just towered over me like a skyscraper. “Well!” I screamed once again. “I don’t trust him” He said sternly . “Mason why don’t you trust him?” I asked quietly as I placed my hand over his shoulder trying to calm him down. “I recognize him” Mason said looking down at me. “So you don’t trust him because you have seen him?” I was confused. Mason shook his head. “No I don’t trust him, because I recognize him from the news” Mason said. “The morning before we went to school, my mom was watching the news. I was ready to go early so I joined her. They showed Damon’s picture, but I was too late to see what they had said about him.” Mason explained. I thought to myself for a moment. “What should we do?” I asked Mason hoping for an answer. “I don’t know just don’t tell him too much he may use it against us” Mason told me as he brushed my hair back behind my ears. “I think we should ask him about it” I told him.
I held Mason’s hand as we walked back out the kitchen towards Damon. Damon was laying on top of a table twiddling with his thumbs. As soon as he heard the kitchen door close behind us he turned his head. He didn’t bother to make eye contact with Mason, just me. From the look he was giving me I could tell he was curious on what happened. Mason and I both sat down. We gave each other a glance. “Damon, I saw you on the news” I strictly told Damon. “Why?”. Damon just looked at us both. “Is that what all of this is about?” He laughed. It was only strange, because he didn’t laugh a normal funny laugh. The laugh that we heard was an evil laugh which frightened me a little. “Why were you on the news?” I asked again this time with a little more patience. Mason and I both waited for a response. Mason waited impatiently. “Hello!” Mason screamed standing up and slapping Damon across the face. Damon cleared his throat and smiled. “Calm down” I instructed Mason. Mason sat back down and Damon began. “Well, its a long story” Damon continued.”See I am an orphan I guess my mom and dad didn’t really want me or something. Ive been adopted four times in my whole life, but they all brought me back.” Damon looked down at his hands. “The fourth woman who adopted me, she seemed nice at the orphanage. Things changed when we got to her house though. A week went by and I had a broken nose, a black eye, and a twisted ankle.” Damon’s looked up at us. “She was abusive and I don’t believe in laying hands on a woman, but that night I had too.” Damon tried to focus on fighting back his tears. “What happened?” Mason asked in respect. “Well, she invited over some of her friends and they all started to smoke and drink. I left my room to ask her if she could help me with some homework I had and all her friends looked at me. She stood up and started screaming and yelling at me to go back inside my room. So I did without giving her any trouble, but then she grabbed a knife and came at me. I knew that she was drunk! I quickly ran and grabbed a gun that I had hidden under my bed. I wasn’t even thinking when I pulled the trigger and I don’t know why I did.” Damon started crying. I felt so bad for Damon. After that Mason and I tried to comfort Damon. We all sat in silence.
Damon and Mason wondered why I was sitting in a chair near the window just gazing out at the disaster of the world ending. They asked me why I would want to see it, but I never gave them a reply. The scene was horrible and in a way interesting to me. I never thought I would be sitting in a restaurant looking out the window only to see that the restaurant sat upon the top of Mount Everest and beneath the tip the world was crushing. A crushing planet I thought to myself, that is what I am witnessing. I looked up at the sky to see swirls of grey cloud’s and no sun or moon . When I looked down I saw nothing but what looked like ocean. The emotions inside of me built up a wall.
The next morning all the events that had happened lately reappeared in my head like a sequenced storybook. Over and over again they flashed like a nightmare only it wasn’t scary to me anymore. Damon and Mason were still asleep and I watched them as they rolled over every once and a while. I knew I did love Mason, and although I didn’t know Damon that well I felt like I had a friendly bond with him, but I knew that I needed to worry about myself and myself only. I knew that I didn’t want to stay in some restaurant for the rest of my life just hoping for something to happen. Without making any noise I made my way to the front door. I stopped to think of what I should bring, but chuckled quietly when I knew that their was nothing.
Stepping over Damon and walking around Mason made me want to stop what I was doing, but still I didn’t stop. The front doors towered over me. My conscience told me to turn around but I ignored it. I opened the doors and peeked out. Strangely there was ground. There were no mountains. Nothing. There was just plain ground. I couldn’t believe it. “What are you doing?” Damon asked from behind. His breath hit the back of my neck. I turned around to look at him. He stared at me. Before I could say anything I saw Damon’s arm on my shoulder. “You can’t leave us” He said. He started to shove me backwards and I had no control over it. He walked ahead pushing me backwards and my strength wasn’t enough to stop it. “What are you doing?” I asked confused. “You can’t leave us” He repeated. His face was pale white and he looked like a ghost. He shoved me so far back I could see the front of the restaurant clearly. “You can’t leave us” Damon mouthed. He stopped walking and turned around. I tried to run back inside, but it was like my feet were glued. Damon walked inside and shut the door. I looked around confused. All of a sudden all I could see was white. No forms or shapes just white. White everywhere.
“Wake up!” Damon shouted. “Huh?” I woke up. “What do you mean ‘huh’?” He asked. “The white place, you made me...” I said confused. “What are you talking about?” Damon looked at me like I was crazy. “It was a dream?” I asked out loud to myself. “I guess so, you fell asleep while you were looking out the window” Damon said. “Where’s Mason?” I asked shaking my head. Damon shrugged. “Where is he?” I asked again. “He went out” Damon quietly mumbled. “What do you mean he went out!” I screamed a little louder than I wanted to. “Look he thought you would be sleeping for a little longer so he went out to find a car or something so we could get out of here” Damon looked out the window. “A car? What do you mean! We are on top of a mountain surrounded by large oceans of water!” I shouted. “No,the waves in the water must of pushed us during the night. Go look” Damon said remaining patient with my yelling. Obeying him I looked out the window. All I saw was fallen tree’s and a road that had about an inch of water over it. It looked like simply a hurricane had just come through. There were no houses,churches,or buildings of any sort.I was confused to the maximum, but I didn’t care anymore. “I wonder where we are” I said.
Hours went by,and there was still no sign of Mason. Damon could tell I was worried so he tried to keep conversation between us. The whole time he talked to me I just answered with brief replies. My head was clouded up with worried thoughts. Soon I stood up and started to pace back and forth. Damon just watched. Inside I felt worried and scared and I wanted Mason to be safe.

It became nightmare quickly. Time went by like bee’s rushing to gather nectar. Damon fell asleep easily, but I couldn’t seem to even blink. I didn’t understand how we could just fall asleep without knowing where exactly Mason was. I shoved Damon waking him up. “Is he back” He asked. I just shook my head. “I thought you said he went to go find a shelter or car or something” I said to Damon. “That’s what he said, I’m sure he is fine” Damon mumbled falling back to sleep.
The morning came and I frantically opened my eyes and sprinted around looking if Mason was back, but he wasn’t. Damon was already up and watched me. “We have to go looking” I said determined to find Mason. Damon never answered me or commented on my statement. My head spun for a few moments. Thoughts went through my head like a wild herd of horses just racing. Nothing made sense to me anymore. I felt myself starting to fall. Before I knew it my eyes started to close and everything began to blur.
“I think she will be okay now, the anesthesia should wear off soon I will be back to check on her” A man’s voice said. My eyelids felt like they had weight’s layed on top of them. It took me a few seconds to get them opened. My head felt like it had just been hit with a hammer. My vision was blurry, but I could see white and a woman’s figure sitting near me on what appeared to be a small chair. “Hello?” I forced my voice to let me say. “Hi sweetie!” The woman’s said excitedly. The voice sounded like my mother. “Mom?” I asked trying to clear my vision so I could see who it was. “Yes sweetheart! I’m here!” The woman who I now know was my mother said happily grabbing and holding my hand. “Mom where am I?” I asked trying to back myself up, but I couldn’t move my legs. Before answering my mom gentley calmed me down and held my legs down as I could see, but oddly I couldn’t feel. “Shh Shh its okay, sweetie your in the hospital okay?” She said in a calming voice. “What?” I tried to make my voice loud, but because of pain I felt in my throat I was forced to whisper. “Sweetie you don’t remember anything do you?” My mom asked while she brushed my hair with her fingers. “Remember anything?” I felt myself start to shake. “Sweetie you were in a horrible car accident with Lordis and Mason” My mom said in a sad voice. “Car accident?” The words pierced my ears like sharp knifes. “How?” I choked out. “You were texting, I told you never to text and drive!” My mom started to cry. I reached my hand out towards her face to hold her hand which she was using to wipe her tears as they fell, but I stopped and looked at my arm. It was bandaged up. I began to look at myself. My left arm was bandaged up and in a cast and I could not feel it, but I could see blood stains on the bandage. Since my right arm wasn’t in a cast and I could move it a little, I reached up to feel my face. I felt a bandage and gauze on my cheek and my head. I felt a tube coming out of my nose. I looked at my mom and realized she had been watching me. “What happened?” I sobbed.

My mom looked down at her feet. “You left to go to the mall with Lordis and Mason” She cried. “The officers and paramedics all said it was because you were texting” She cried even louder. “No! No” I shook my head sobbing. “You weren’t watching the road, It wasn’t your fault it was an accident!” She looked at me straight in the eyes . Tears drizzled down both of our faces. “You crashed into another car...”She continued trying to catch her breath. “Is everyone okay?” I asked also trying to catch my own breath. Without answering she got up and walked over to a tissue box that was sitting on the window sill and grabbed a few tissues. She sat back down and wiped my cheeks aswell as hers. Her hands grabbed my shoulders. Her face met up with mine. “Listen to me, it wasn’t your fault it was an accident” She repeated. My head began to spin again. “They tried and tried, but they couldn’t seem to resuscitate Lordis”My mothers voice echoed through my ears. My eyes flooded up. My heart broke into pieces. “As for Mason, he is in the next room in a coma they don’t think he will make it” My mother stopped crying and I could tell she was heartbroken just as much as I was. “Oh my god, I'm so stupid” I started to scream at myself and with all my might I began to punch myself and hit myself. I felt excruciating pain now, and I didn’t care. I wanted to die. “Why did I have to text! Why!” I yelled loudly. “Shh shh shh” My mom tried to quiet me down. I looked up at her hopelessly. “What about the person in the other car...” I asked as soon as I could gain enough air. “He’s okay, he is bandaged up As a matter of fact he wanted to see you” My mother said. “I dont..” I stopped talking when my mom stood up and the door began to open. “Hi” he said. I tried to look the other way, but I didn’t want to be rude.
The boy looked familiar. “Do I know you?” I asked feeling sorrow and guilt. “Nah i’ve never seen you before” He said. “Damon?” I asked. “How do you know my name?” He asked turning around. Thoughts and memories raced inside me. I didn’t answer him. All I could feel was Confusion. “Im sorry for my stupidity I don’t know why I was texting” I told him. He walked closer to me. “It’s fine really, but I just wanted to know one thing” He said as he bended down next to me. I could see his arm was bandaged up too. He had a gauze pad and tape on his forehead. “What text message was that important?” He asked. I just looked away. In the corner of my eye I saw him just walk out of the little hospital room and the door slammed behind him.
Laying there alone and guilty I cried. Nurses had came to check up on me and talk to me, but I ignored them. The light from the windows bugged me and I asked a nurse if she could close the blinds but that was it, thats all I said. I didn’t deserve to stay alive. I was a murderer. The thought of the described accident replayed like my ipod on shuffle in my mind. My wounds healed by the minute, but I prayed that they would get worse. I wanted to suffer, I felt guilt. Horrible guilt.
Days flew by like the wind. The doctor entered the room with a psychologist that followed. They questioned me, I heard them but I didn’t listen to them. I just shook and nodded my head.I made no eye contact whatsoever. I didn’t want to see anyone. The only people I wanted to see were Lordis and Mason, standing in front of me alive or god to tell me I died with them.
As much as I tried to ignore my hunger my stomache growled and nurses kept reminding me it was manditory for me to eat. They would leave the tray of food from the cafeteria in front of me and help me sit up, but as soon as they left the room I layed back down. When they would come back in to take the tray again I pretended I was sleeping so they wouldnt say anything.
My mother called everyday and requested I speak to her, but I told the nurses I just wanted to lay down. After a few days of that excuse my mother drove to the hospital. She came into my room and would repeatedly ask me why I havent talked to her. When I didn’t answer she got angry, but I honestly didn’t care. I knew she would have to leave eventually anyways. I was a brick wall,a new person.

In my dreams I would dream of Mason’s face. I would dream of Lordis and how we would bicker all the time. How we all would go to the movie theatre and how we would laugh at the most dramatic part in the movie we were watching. I would dream of how we used to play the imaginary game when we would act out a movie as soon as we got home from watching the movie. I wanted everything to be normal the way it was before everything. I still was curious about the supposedly dream I had. If it was a dream which I was still questioning why would I dream of 2010? Why would I dream of Damon? I’ve never seen him before.
A nurse named Maria came in to check on me like usual. This time things were different. I usually didn’t want to talk, but this time I needed to. She walked in the room and came to check my blood pressure. She gently held my arm up to begin, but I pulled away. “Wait” I said. It actually felt good to talk. “Yes?” She asked suprised that I actually spoke. “Can you call my mother on the phone” I asked as nicely as I could. “Sure” She said smiling and walking over towards the phone. Since my mother called everyday Maria already knew the number. “Hi this is Maria from the hospital” Maria said into the phone. “Yes, Annemarie actually wanted to speak to you” Maria replied to whatever my mother had said and then handed the phone over to me. I cleared my throat and put the phone next to my ear. I honestly didn’t know what to say. “Hi” I said. “How are you feeling” My mother asked. “Good, I just haven’t really been myself” I answered. “Ive realized. The doctor said you may come home in a month or less” She said with a little happiness in her voice. “That’s great, Do you remember that boy Damon?” I asked her hoping she would know who I was talking about. “Yes” She answered sighing. “Do you know anything about him?” I twirled the phones chord in between my fingers. “No, why?” She asked. “Nothing I don’t know,but I have to go” I hung up the phone . I knew it was rude of me to hang up, but I needed to see Damon I needed to talk to him. I needed to know why I had such a dream,and why he was in it if I didn’t know him.
The phone rang and I thought it was my mother calling back to scream and yell at me for hanging up. “Hello?” I answered. Usually the Nurse on duty would answer the phone for me, but she had to quickly do her daily check-up for another patient. “Aren’t you going to come see me?” Mason said into the phone. His voice sounded broken and forceful. “Mason! They said you were in a coma!” I cheerily smiled. “I woke up about five hours ago, they have been running tests on me, they told me we got into some car accident or something....they told me about Lordis” His voice began to sound sadder, and more depressed. “I’m so sorry, How are you? What room are you in?” I asked. “I don’t know hold on” I heard him ask a woman. “342” He replied when she was done speaking. I squinted so I could see a map of the hospital that was taped to the wall on the other side of the room. I would’ve just gotten up, but it was too painful and I remembered Maria instructing me to stay put until she came back. “342?” I asked as soon as I realized the room’s labeled 300’s were in the intensive care unit. “Yeah,what room are you in?” He coughed. “I have no idea, somewhere in the E.R” I felt so bad, that because of my stupidity not only did I kill one of my best friends, but I was the cause for my boyfriend in the intensive care unit and here layed I, guilty and stupid.
Mason had to go within minutes. He said the doctor needed to run more test’s and Mason also needed to take some medicine which would make him sleepy. I tried to think of good things ,things that would make me forget the supposed dream I had. My result came out just the way I knew it would. There was nothing in the entire world that could let me forget,nothing. I don’t deserve to forget I told myself. Why should I? I’m the cause, of this whole thing I reminded myself for about the billionth time. I thought about the question Damon last asked me before he disappeared. What text was so important? I re-asked myself over and over. I tried different strategies trying to just remember anything that was useful, but I could not remember anything.
On the hospital bed I rested most of the day, my eye’s focused upon the ceiling. It had been three day’s since I awoke from the most thrilling realistic dream I've ever had. I remembered the day I woke up and how the news of the accident was brought to me. I remembered how my heart shattered inside of me when I was told that my best friend,the one who had been there for years,and the one I laughed with,was dead.
The room turned dark, and the only light that shined through was from the crack in the bottom of the door. Since I was so quiet in my room I could overhear conversation’s from the nurse’s and doctors in the hallway. I pretended like I wasn’t listening when one unfamiliar nurse entered the room. She was a dark colored brown haired tall woman and seemed very kind. “Hi there, I’m Leka “ Her accent was very interesting. I waved. “Like the dark?” She turned on the light. “Yeah it’s nice” I said in a low strange voice. “Well than I'm incredibly sorry, but I just have to give ya a shot” Leka said with a nice intention. “A shot?” My heart pounded heavily. I was always afraid of needle’s and the thought of getting a shot didn’t please me. “Yes ma’am to let you rest a little” She replied cleaning my arm with some rubbing alcohol. “Rest?” My eyebrow’s formed into a puzzled look. “Yes” Leka turned around and gathered the needle and held my arm up. Then before I knew it I was out like a light.

I felt my eyelids opening, as light from an opened window filled the room. I looked around and suddenly became frightened. I was in my room. I was laying on my bed. I felt different then I did before. My legs, I could feel them. I looked at my arm . There was no bandage from the needle. There was no needle wound. There was no cast. There was just normal skin. I was’nt in any sort of pain like I was before. I felt fine. I quickly felt my face to feel for any scratches or bruises, but there was nothing. My heart began to beat fast.
There was knocking at the door. “Open this door,this instant!” My mother yelled. I jumped out of my bed and sprinted to the door and oddly it was locked. I unlocked it. My mother stormed in. “Young lady what were you doing in here!” She screamed at me. “What are you talking about!” I yelled back at her. She slapped me across the face. “Don’t ever talk like that to me again!” She strictly said. I stood there with a puzzled look on my face. “Mom” I said. “What!” She loudly enraged. “Was I in the hospital?” I asked with a low voice. “Ugh I dont have time for stupidity” She mumbled leaving.
As soon as my mother left my room and slammed the door, I scrambled onto my bed. I picked the covers up and tucked myself in. I suffered from confusion like never before. My head spun faster than a carousel. I sat with my legs crossed and rocked myself back and forth. I grew a headache that felt like my head was going to explode.
The doorbell rang, but still I sat there with my legs crossed rocking. I knew my mother was going to answer it either way and I hoped the company was for her. I didn’t feel like talking or seeing anyone. Was it a dream ? Was it all a dream? I asked myself questions like these several times. I heard one of my mother’s friends voices inside the living room so I was glad that the company was for her.
Minutes later my mother and her friend walked into my room. I just looked up at them. Tears were falling from my eyes. “What’s wrong” They both asked sympathetically. I tried to hold back my thoughts and my feelings, but they exploded like a bomb out of my mouth. “I can’t take it anymore! I don’t know what to do or what to think! For all I know this may very well be another dream!” I Screamed holding my head. Loudly I screamed for minutes. My mother screamed and yelled and threatened me to be quiet and so did her friend, but I ignored them. Am I going crazy? I didn’t know what was happened. I wanted to shut my mouth and stop. I couldn’t. It was like my mouth and body all had a brain of it’s own.
My head boggled slowly from left to right. My vision was blurry. I saw blurry movements. Colors like wind flew in the air. I shook constantly and I couldn’t seem to stop . I had the chills all throughout my body.My vision cleared up once more and I saw a herd of doctors standing over me. They stood around me and held me down.
“What’s going on” I managed to say loud enough. Under the mask’s they wore, the doctor’s had no expression just blank faces. I tried to get up slowly, but they all attacked me and held me down. Three doctors held down my left side, and three more held down my right side. I had no possibility of shaking loose. What was happening? What was going on? What did I do? One of the doctor’s raised two panels above my heart. “Ready?” His stern voice asked the other doctor’s present in the room. They all nodded their heads. “For what?” I asked nervously. He rubbed the two panels together. Electroshock? “No! No!” I heard my voice above all noises screaming and shouting. I began kicking and shoving and wiggling myself trying to unlatch from the doctors’ grip, but failed. The doctor with the electro shockers laughed an evil laugh. I started to shake as he started to perform electroshock on me.
Nothing but screaming is what I heard from myself. Loud moans and shouts in pain spilled out of my mouth like a river until I had no more energy. I remember opening my eye’s one last time and watching as all of the doctor’s chuckled with their evil grinning faces. As the demon’s that they were laughed at the pain I suffered. The shock only lasted for approximately thirty seconds, no less or no more. Usually thirty seconds goes by fast, but not when you are laying in a bed practically not being able to move as you are getting shocked. Time is cruel.

My skin was salty and dry around my lips as I licked them, desperate for some kind of liquid that would ease my thirst. The room I was in was completely white, it only made my brain hurt more and hurt my eyes. There were no window’s in the room besides a small window above the door that I knew must be locked. My arm’s were tucked into a straight jacket, giving them no purpose to me at the moment. I sat there crying and weeping. I didn’t know what was going on. I felt like I didn’t want to fall asleep ever again, because every time I did it seemed like everything was a dream. Every time I got attached to someone or something it would be taken away and simply be labeled as a dream. The amount of hurt inside of me began to cause pain. I didn't know what was real anymore and what was a dream and honestly I didn’t care . My life was different now, I cared about nothing,nobody,and just felt hate towards everything. Nothing was important to me anymore, and it hurt inside of me not to care,it was hard. I had to though, because if I cared about something I knew I would lose it and end up feeling pain within my heart.
Was I insane? The question boggled and swallowed my brain cells. My body hurt all over, and all I wanted was for the dreams, and the confusion to come to a dead end. I had to end it.
Two nurse’s came to alarm me that it was lunch time. They held my arms as I hopped towards the cafateria. All of the other patients stared at me. I looked down in shame and thought to myself. One nurse went to get me a tray of food, and the other supervised me. I felt trapped. I needed to end it. But how? I was one of those creepy insane people in the straight jacket and every move I made I was being watched.
Memories like a movie played in my head as I would just sit there in my little white room watching them. What else could I do? I used to believe there was a god, but now he came in question. If there was one, why would he make me suffer like this? Did I do something wrong? I sang to myself quietly to keep at least a portion of my mind sane. Singing made me calm down. I hummed eerie tune’s in my mind.
“Time to see the doctor” A nurse walked in. It surprised me that only one nurse came to get me, usually I was a threat and they needed two nurse’s. “Am I insane?” I asked her with a choke in my voice. She just looked at me and laughed. I glared at her. Anger began filling my head up. Why was she laughing? This isn’t funny. She didn’t stop. Her face smiled and she laughed at me. She thought this was all hilarious. I formed fist’s. Voice’s in my head told me to commit murder. Or at least that’s what I thought. That’s what I told the police officer after I broke out of the jacket and strangled the nurse with all the anger and emotions built up inside of me.
I remembered how I saw over ten armed police officers pointing their gun towards me. I chuckled deep down inside. Do they really think I'm a dangerous threat? Am I a threat? The sirens from the parked police cars drove me wild. “Shut up! Shut up!” I screamed. I slapped both sides of my head. I crawled up into a little ball as I screamed. Tears fell from my eyes. The officers began to move in. They lifted me up and brang me towards a police van. They forced me to hop up inside. One of the nice officer’s buckled me up and another drove me off. There was a window separating them from me. All I could think of was the laughter of the nurse. Her laughter echoed inside of me. I held my ears as tightly as I could, but the laughter didn’t stop. I tried humming loudly and blocking the laughter, but that didn’t work either. The officer I admired pulled the van over and both stayed in their seats just watching me in the mirror. I saw my own face and had spine tingling chills.
A pale black-haired red eyed girl glared back at me in my reflection. I stopped making noise and moved to see if the reflection would move too. “Who am I?” I yelled to the top of my lungs. “Ma’am calm down” The officer yelled. Without thinking I punched my fist through the window. The two officers ducked covering their head. Glass shattered all over the van. I grabbed the sharpest piece I could find and started to carve into myself. I needed to stop this. I heard the officer’s screaming and yelling for me to stop, but I ignored them. The pain was excruciating, but I could care less. “What are you doing!” One of the officers screamed in terror as blood gushed from silt's in my arm’s. “Ending it!” I yelled back moving the sharp piece of glass up to my face. That face in the mirror glaring back at me wasn’t me. The two officer’s faces made me laugh and giggle. They gaped in shock and terror as I started to carve my face. “Stop or I’ll shoot” The one in the passengers seat yelled thinking that, that was a threat to me. I dropped the glass and looked at him. Blood like a river spilled through the slits. “Please?” I asked in a normal low voice. The officer’s appeared puzzled. “I beg of you!” I sobbed. He took to long. I jumped at him grabbing the gun. I shoved it in my mouth. “Woah!” The officers started nervously jumping around trying to stop me. “Unlock the door” I mumbled as best as I could with the gun pointing inside of my mouth. The officer’s obeyed me. I walked slowly outside and looked up at the sky. Black cloud’s were all I saw and raindrops fell. As soon as the first raindrop landed on my head I knew it was my time.

I remember tasting a last taste of my salty tears. I remember taking my last look into the world, the darkness above, and the police car’s starting to arrive to the scene. I remember when I went insane. I remember my death.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.