Surviving 2200

Author's note: I hope you enjoy reading this. It's not completed, but I'm hoping to continue it, as I really...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope you enjoy reading this. It's not completed, but I'm hoping to continue it, as I really love writing and this is something that I've put a lot of hard work into. Enjoy!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next »

Pleasant

"Get up, you lazy thing. Up. Up!"

I rolled over, not wanting to wake up to that ugly face again.

"That's it!" A hand slapped across my face, leaving welts all across my cheekbones.

"Get up, you!"

My eyes popped open, oblivious to the stinging pain all across my face; this abuse wasn't new to me.

"Go get ready! The factories are opening in five minutes, and if you’re not down there, then so help me!"

Sluggishly, I pulled my body up, trying to ignore the weighted clothing that I was forced to wear. I tried my best to shoot a glaring, mean look at the official, but the best I could manage was a pathetic smirk.

"Don't you dare take those weights off!"

I hadn't even tried to take off the weights! I hated that official. I take that back; I still do.

"Finally, you're done. Now get your butt down there this second!"

His words were followed by more welts, this time on my back, as he followed me into the dark corridor. Every so often, I heard him whisper rude, cruel words to the guards we passed, and they laughed each time. Other "inmates", as I like to call them, were being trailed by their officials. We were all in a line: official, inmate, official, inmate. Inmates were being whipped every so often, and guards screamed insults over our shoulders. Suddenly, the woman in charge of it all, Officer Juno, appeared.

"Shut up!" We all followed her command, for fear that she may kill us on the spot.

"Now, all of you better listen, because the factories haven't been cleaned since 2150."

Sniffles and sobs were heard, then the spine-tingling sound of metal being drawn, and the sobs ceased.

"Today, you will be working with weapons. Building weapons. And if I see any of you doing anything except your job, I will make it my personal life goal to hunt you down. Got it?"

Mumbles of agreement were spoken by the bright white jumpsuits around me, and I guess I spoke too late for the rest of the crowd, because Officer Juno screamed.

"Harley! Corner her!"

I figured out two things through those 3 words: my officer's name was Harley, and "corner her" meant put a knife to my throat.

Pleasant, this world is. Isn’t it?

Not.

milforce said...
                Alright, so first off just a little note. I write all of my comments live (so as I’m reading this). I do this so I don’t forget things and because I think you can get a better sense of my opinion. So with that in mind, here we go! The first couple of sentences are excellent except for the light analogy. It seemed kind of cheesy and forced to me. How about just leaving it as faster than light? A... (more »)

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm :
Thank you SO much!! I will definitely make those changes... It means a lot for you to be reading my work!! Thanks so much again.

JK.87 said...
Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm:
Okay, so hey, I really liked the beginning of the novel, and I think you're off to a great start.  My favorite character is probably the boy with the blond hair (whose name I'd like to know).  Um, one think I guess confused me was how old they are... that might want to pop up somewhere in there.  Either way, I'd love to read more!!! :D

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:58 pm :
Thank you! (: I understand how you could be confused. I threw some clues in there, such as it being a "juvenile camp", but I'm working on incorporating their ages more. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I'll definitely be posting mroe soon. (: