Surviving 2200

Author's note: I hope you enjoy reading this. It's not completed, but I'm hoping to continue it, as I really...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope you enjoy reading this. It's not completed, but I'm hoping to continue it, as I really love writing and this is something that I've put a lot of hard work into. Enjoy!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 16 17 18

Two J's and a Dose of Bad Luck

Roughly half and hour later, Rhys snapped his head toward me. We had both been staring into the distance, hardly even noticing the other’s breath.

“Jinx. Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” I leisurely turned my head toward him.

“That rustle,” He pointed with a crooked finger, “Right there. It came from there.”

My hair fanned across my face, and I combed it away.

“Gunshots.”

With quickening heartbeats and feet, we looked to each other, silently agreed, and started running towards the others.

With our quick footsteps and heavy breathing, we frightened the rest of the group.

Upon our arrival, Dett and Devin had their knives at our throats, scolding us for not sending them a signal.

“You didn’t tell me any signal,” I breathed.

“Jinx, bird calls. Bird. Calls.”

I raised my hands as if to surrender, but then gestured to where Rhys and I had just come from, telling her silently that we had to move.

I began jogging, hoping that the others would get the idea. I glanced back and sent an invitation with my eyes. ‘Come on,’ they seemed to say.

Dett only looked at me with a questioning glare. A few moments later, I heard another gunshot, followed by the sound of her feet quickly padding along the moss carpet.

This time, it wasn’t Dett in the lead. It was me and Rhys. We were leading, for once, and for goodness sakes, it felt good to be in authority. No wonder Dett and Devin always sought leadership; it was a combo with freedom.

I wasn’t aware of my feet. They were moving involuntarily. I only thought of the others following us, who were not at all sure why we were suddenly sprinting away from our stakeouts.

It had been hours, I supposed. The sun was setting, and our vision was becoming more and more impaired by the minute. We stopped, all out of breath from taking short breaks in between our dashes.

“Jinx, what was back there?” Dett stared at me, not believing that I had stood up to her instruction.

Before I could utter a response, another gunshot was heard, this one much closer. Our bodies shook at the sound, and then we saw the jeep barreling towards us.

“Look!” Shouted an all-too-familiar voice, “It’s them! And don’t just stand there! Run them over!”

Juno’s hair was wild and sticking up in every direction, and her fingers were twitching and shaking with anticipation.

Rhys, Dett, and Devin all screamed at the same time; the rest of us were at loss for any sound.

“Run!”

We found ourselves on the run again, this time being trailed by an angry, nearly insane Juno and a dirty, big, black jeep. The rumble of the engine echoed in our ears.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 16 17 18

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

milforce said...
                Alright, so first off just a little note. I write all of my comments live (so as I’m reading this). I do this so I don’t forget things and because I think you can get a better sense of my opinion. So with that in mind, here we go! The first couple of sentences are excellent except for the light analogy. It seemed kind of cheesy and forced to me. How about just leaving it as faster than light? A... (more »)

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you SO much!! I will definitely make those changes... It means a lot for you to be reading my work!! Thanks so much again.

JK.87 said...
Okay, so hey, I really liked the beginning of the novel, and I think you're off to a great start.  My favorite character is probably the boy with the blond hair (whose name I'd like to know).  Um, one think I guess confused me was how old they are... that might want to pop up somewhere in there.  Either way, I'd love to read more!!! :D

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! (: I understand how you could be confused. I threw some clues in there, such as it being a "juvenile camp", but I'm working on incorporating their ages more. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I'll definitely be posting mroe soon. (: