Surviving 2200

Author's note: I hope you enjoy reading this. It's not completed, but I'm hoping to continue it, as I really...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope you enjoy reading this. It's not completed, but I'm hoping to continue it, as I really love writing and this is something that I've put a lot of hard work into. Enjoy!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next »

Blue With Envy

We ran until we came across a thin strip of yellow tape, adrenaline encompassing our bodies and fatigue just barely beginning to trickle into our bloodstreams. The neon cord was fastened tightly around four short poles, which were roughly a hundred yards apart and had a rusty silver finish.

“What is this?” A voice whispered.

Dett swung her head around and looked at the group with a stare that could drill through solid diamond.

“Really?” She mouthed.

In a tight amoeba, we stumbled forward, struggling to catch our long abandoned breath. Dett held out her hand behind her, and motioned for us to stay behind as she crept forward.

The golden-haired boy moved towards me as she walked away.

“Isaac,” he whispered. Who was he talking to?

I avoided his stare, sure that he was talking to somebody named Isaac in our group.

He nudged me with his shoulder.

“I’m Isaac.”

I looked at him slowly, my long, wispy hair clinging to my nose. He wasn’t smiling; in fact, he wasn’t looking at me. But something in my gut told me that he was addressing me.

Skylar was now staring at us with a disgusted-looking grimace smeared across her lips. I caught her eye and smiled, but she looked away without further contact.

Looking back at Isaac, I noticed his eyes on his hands in his lap. They were intertwined, and he was mumbling under his breath. I decided that I should probably not disturb him, so I crept around him and stood next to Skylar.

“Hello.”

“Hi.”

After a pause, she spoke again.

“I couldn’t help but notice Isaac and you talking. He and I had some… problems a while back.”

I looked at the ground, where the leaves were disintegrating themselves and the grass was hiding underneath.

“He went to my school,” she continued, “Before our parents both sent us here. And we both always had feelings for the other… But he never spoke out about them. He kept ‘em to himself the entire time, while I was busy pouring my heart out to his face.”

I eyed Isaac, who was now sitting on a tree stump, thumbing the loose bark at the edges.

“So, one day, I asked him why he would never let me know how he felt. Know what he said?”

I looked at Skylar expectantly, whose blue eyes were glowing with stress.

“I never felt the same about you. That’s what he told me. He said that he really liked me at first from my looks, you know, but then once he met me, his feelings dripped away.”

I looked at Skylar, genuinely confused as to why she would think this is worrisome.

“So?”

Yes, that’s what I said to her. Yes, I know my mouth is a blubbering pair of unstoppable rubber flaps. I’ve been through this with myself. I have no filter.

“So? You’re asking me so? Really?”

I could feel my blood boiling, but her icy blue eyes seemed to extinguish my fire; they made me feel miniscule.

“I am, Skylar.”

“You know what? Isaac’s a jerk. So you can go over there and kiss his little lying face all you want, but don’t come wailing to me when he rips your weak little heart in two.”

She was yelling now, and I’m sure all eyes were on us.

“And you know what?”

Skylar was waiting now, her hands curled in frustration and her eyebrows nearly reaching her cheekbones.

“What, Jinx? What?”

“You don’t have to be here. Dett didn’t have to save you.”

Dett was here now, watching the quarrel with her arms crossed at her sternum.

“Dett could’ve left you to die with Juno. Did you really want that? Did you want to die? Because if you did, I can help you with that right now. I know others who would gladly assist me as well.”

My voice began to rise beyond my control, and I felt the fury deeply embedded in my bones.

“Jinx, stop.”

It was Dett’s voice, and she had tenderness in her eyes that I knew was for Skylar.

“Yes. I’m sorry.”

I retired to the base of a pole far away from the group.

What a jerk I was. No wonder nobody talked to me.

I sat against the bony, rigid pole until Dett came and sat across from me.

“Hey, Jinx.”

“Hi. I’m sorry for being so terrible back there. I feel horrible.”

“I know. You should, though. That wasn’t fair to Skylar.”

I was silent; her words hurt with each syllable.

“She was only trying to help you. Honestly, she was trying to make a friend. She’s the youngest here, you know.”

My eyes widened, and salty tears stung my eyes. What have I done?

“I know you didn’t know that, Jinx. Please, though. Just try and help her. She’s been through lots of other things, and we don’t need to pile more on her shoulders.”

That was all she said to me, and then she was on her feet barking orders at the group again.

milforce said...
                Alright, so first off just a little note. I write all of my comments live (so as I’m reading this). I do this so I don’t forget things and because I think you can get a better sense of my opinion. So with that in mind, here we go! The first couple of sentences are excellent except for the light analogy. It seemed kind of cheesy and forced to me. How about just leaving it as faster than light? A... (more »)

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm :
Thank you SO much!! I will definitely make those changes... It means a lot for you to be reading my work!! Thanks so much again.

JK.87 said...
Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:11 pm:
Okay, so hey, I really liked the beginning of the novel, and I think you're off to a great start.  My favorite character is probably the boy with the blond hair (whose name I'd like to know).  Um, one think I guess confused me was how old they are... that might want to pop up somewhere in there.  Either way, I'd love to read more!!! :D

jetta.ckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:58 pm :
Thank you! (: I understand how you could be confused. I threw some clues in there, such as it being a "juvenile camp", but I'm working on incorporating their ages more. I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I'll definitely be posting mroe soon. (:

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_0ve8qtigkmfcmglpnj8u2kacp6, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0