A Wolf's Might and A Rose's Magic | Teen Ink

A Wolf's Might and A Rose's Magic

July 26, 2012
By Elspeth, Pekin, Illinois
More by this author
Elspeth, Pekin, Illinois
0 articles 3 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every hello is the prologue to an unfortunate ending so as people we must create as many stories as we can!


Author's note:

I was inspired to write by my sister who also writes. She does short stories but has never been published:(

Long before the world’s domain had yet to exist an ancient and unremembered deity, Subete, though she had her temperance unmatched, charity to all she met, patience for a thousand days. She showed her kindness to all she knew and calmly said when humility had beaten her. And thou she had chastity she grew weary throughout the years she slowly became more known of her darker side. She became envious of other beings, lusted for another’s heart. While alone she grew angry and lazy which in time made her only want what she did not have. With her godly powers she throw away her chastity and provided birth to time and space the two she named Jikan, a fast child once on its feet but once tired slowed to sleep and Supēsu completely the opposite from her brother she took everything she did with patience and passion. The three of them existed together for over a millennium until Jikan and Supēsu grew uninterested and bored of the existence they came to know. So Subete created four offspring for her son and daughter to be entertain with. These toys were named Chikyū, a strong and smart child who reigned the forestry. Hia, one with bright eyes for what lies ahead but also the will to fight, he fashioned fire. Mizu, a calm and collected and greatly outwitted the others, yet only seemed to do things when needed controlled water. The last of the toys was named Kaze, a fidgety young one that bent the very winds around him. Respectively working side-by-side these six creations gradually fashioned an almost flawless sphere.

Centuries past and they existed favorably, however Subete had become too prideful over what she had created and was fading into the abyss of Yomi and she was quite conscious of this unfortunate circumstance. With her concluding breath she twisted presences that would transform everything and could possibly destroy all she had created. A luminescent light and a caliginous shadow. She whispered that one was her sin and the other her virtue, but which one was which would not become clear until many, many moons. At this time the light and shadow despised each other so much that they could not stand to glance at the other. The two children entitled the light Hikari, who held all others over herself and cared for anyone and everyone she met. However the shadow Kurai could not stand these good deeds and learned ways to change them into bad ones. The two never saw one another they communicated through Jikan and Supēsu. Kurai became passionate about Mizu, giving life to the existence of ice- Kōri. After a while Hikari fell in love, with Hia. The two provided birth to lightning and named him Inazuma.

The ages past and the ten elemental creations lived in and around the sphere. However a day approached when Kurai’s envy of never being permitted to go inside the sphere caused him to cross the threshold into the lively world. The affect triggered a massive imbalance and angered Hikari. Hikari and the other creations gathered and sealed Kurai in a form so even a mortal would not see him as a deity, along with themselves. Now imprisoned within the sphere the deities waited, the only trace of their existence rests in a book with an ancient inscription.

As eons past and man arose and flourished with the women inferior to men, the deities sought pity on the women and offered them magic to possess. The royal lineages had males capable of using magic, this was thought to symbolize the kinship relations between the imperial families and the divinities. Kurai still had a fragment of him which grew envious with each passing day. This small, yet treacherous shadow escaped into the realm of man and lay quiescent and confined within a precious jewel. This jealousy was entitled Jaakuna by the deities as they waited for this cruel immortal creation to materialize once more.

High above the world, where trees and water do not stir, and an isle raised rests among the cloudy atmosphere. Though this is not an isle with demons and monsters a place to be neither feared nor ignored, for this isle is the floating city Kaze; the kingdom of wind and held up by the goddess of winds it levitates still year after year. No tree grows yet there is always shade, and no rivers flow for it rains once a day. And peace is always about for seldom does war reach so high, though below is not the prominent of places to live. It is this isle that are story begins and soon will come to an end – but that shall not be spoken of for some pages now. Our story begins at the birth of a spring morning; the pasture fields are as warm as they are emerald. Now this little tale of ours begins with an adolescent and a twist of fate.

We shall start at an timeworn house, now this is not a sad place where an hoary man lives unaccompanied, on the other hand it is bursting with cheerfulness, security, and of course good sustenance- which fills the air with the aroma of sweets and spices. The walls made of uneven stone and sturdy timber, arch doorways with no doors on hinges. Cupboards both above and below a marble counter. Violet hydrangea conceal the lower parts of the outer walls while above wisteria trees hang, their white flowers almost finished budding and many already finished. Small, yet brilliantly colored reddish white peonies grow from every little space available as they fight with violets for dominance over the ground. An old willow intertwine with the wisteria and add a touch of green in the brightly colored garden. Moses find themselves at home on the tree roots and along the cool pavement. Inside a well-matured lady bakes a breakfast while her spouse comes in from a morning ride. A son- age nineteen - seated at the table awaiting the start of his day.

However our story centers on none of these fine people, though they will lend some enjoyment to this story. No our eyes shall fall to the person who lies upon her bed upstairs, uninformed of the grand voyage she shall make in little time. And this is where I end my simple rhyme and let you read a story that is true as truth can be for I had lived it, you see.

The author's comments:
POV means Point of View the story has a lot of characters and I want to make it so you understand each characters background and thinking.

۝Elspeth's POV۝

"It's another sunny morning, not to mention yesterday's big event, the annual winter festival and I saw a lot of friends there."

"That's right Marcus, I even got to talk with the royal family. Did you see the gown the queen was wearing talk about expensive?"

"They are the royal family, looking good is in the job description and Prince Rain definitely had his choice of the ladies. Can you believe it’s been eighteen years since that little guy was born?"

"I still remember the birth ceremony, such a cute little one he was. Talk about time flying by…”

“And now I feel old.” Laughter followed after the simple remark.

“Well for everyone who was old enough to remember here is a special song for the Prince."

"Maybe he reme...." A hand smacked the off button on the alarm clock, the fingers were slender with the occasional chipped fingernail. The hand slithered back looking for warmth beneath a comforter and rested alongside a fair almond beige colored cheek. The covers rustled around the bed concealing the young adult beneath. The voice of a congenial woman from outside of the room flooded the pleasant stillness from the night.

"Elspeth it's time for you to get up, your exams begin today and being tardy is not an option."

"K." the girl replied in a muttered, still only half in the real world, and in all honesty she truly wanted to stay within the unexplainable, completely undeniable world that created her many wondrous dreams. Although she wished to stay in the realm of dreams her brain had already began waking from its slumber and slowly caused her eyes to become exposed to the brilliant rays and face the fact that morning had come. She laid on the cloud-like mattress with a pair of feathered pillows below her head and a warm blanket laid above her. For what reason would anyone ever want morning to come when a bed and a dream are far better. Elspeth blew her air with her bottom lip in an attempt to remove the lonely strands of hair that found themselves dancing over her eyes. She turned the comforter corner over, thou the room was fairly warm Elspeth's body shivered for a moment and all she wanted to do was return to the warm quiet place she had been for the last nine hours. She scooted herself to the side of her large bed. Her toes hung inches above the floorboards, not do to her height but because the deep mahogany wooden structure set the bed itself off the timber floor. As she placed a lone toe on the ground she pulled it back from the icy boards. She glared at the floor, obviously it was at fault here. She placed both her feet upon the floor and scurried to a wardrobe, aged by both time and use. Five drawers with two rounded nobs on each were on the right along with a cabinet above them. Clutching one of the decorative bronze handles she pulled the top draw open. Her eyes bounced about her attire, taking a quick second to find what she needed. Pants and skirts rested neatly on in the draw. Switching to the third drawer she grabbed a pair of white knee-high leggings and a green plaid tie which were all thrown in the single drawer. She dropped onto her toes and pulled out the bottom drawer. Sat beside the vibrant colored tops. Beneath was a shelf folded shirts, mostly short sleeved but there were two long sleeved. They were all white. A grossularite green vest laid a crossed them, unlike the shirts it was only folded once. On the left of the wardrobe was a spacious hanging area with a mirror on the inside of the door. Though you may presume to see a dinning dress, or possibly ceremonial wear, this space was filled with armor. A leather breastplate leaned to one side, chainmail laid in an unorganized pile. Shoulder armor laid on its side and a pair of shoes hid themselves below the messy armor. Hung above the armor was a sheathed blade with a length of 30".



Elspeth grabbed closed the wardrobe completely and with a shirt, vest, skirt, and tie that match. Along with her undergarments and stockings in hand she rushed over to her bed and jumped onto the still warm bedspreads. She pulled her night shirt off and tossed it to the wood floor. Her back stretched out as she put her bra in place, re-shifted her breasts and pulled her shirt over her head. The shirt was lined with buttons down the front but what was the point of undoing them all just to re-button them, Elspeth found no reason to waste on trivial matters such as this, so she always kept her shirts buttoned and slipped them over her head and arms all at once. Every once in a while she found a button missing, and on the rare occasion she found the seams unhemmed. She pulled her tangled hair out from the shirts collar. Sitting on her bed she looked a crossed her room, antique furniture lined three of the walls while a window occupied the fourth and opened up to a balcony overlooking the backyard. Her floor was cold and bare with thick bamboo boards lined perfectly. Her mahogany bed set directly across from the door, the headboard had Celtic knot work and ancient runes carved throughout it. The silent clock set on the side table along with an oil lamp, only a few hours ago it was topped with a warm spark. The wax slowly collected at the base and the smoke dispersed throughout the room. A silver pique and tortoiseshell hairbrush's handle laid slightly under the lamp's curled handle.



She feel back onto the pillows, her arms spread wide allowing her to stretch. Her body resembled that of a cat slightly awake but unwilling to move from its space of sleep. Without moving her head off the cushions she slipped her skirt over her smooth pale legs, thou they were not skin and bone her legs where quit thin with very little muscle tone showing. She rolled onto her right side, using her hand to clear the hair out from in front of her. Her hands grabbed the cold handle of the brush and unraveled the hellish disorder upon her head. Her auburn-brown hair flowed down her back, small strands of gold lined throughout her lengthy hair. Her hair was completely natural and as the summer drew closer she had an increasing amount of gold in her hair. After she thoroughly brushed her thick strands the hair settled nicely from shoulder to shoulder down to her thighs. Her feet once again dangled from the bed, she slid each of her legs into a stocking, the tops were lined with two green strips and the royal emblem, five waves intertwined with an owl in flight, was embroidered between the two strips. She never did understand the reason for stockings, they were of no use. In the winter she had to run to school to keep her legs from freezing. The stockings came to just below her knees. With the help of her hands she pushed off the bed and landed on the heels of her feet. Setting her toes down a cold chill crawled up her body. She walked around the bed, her hands spun her body around the bronze posts, and she picked up four books, four inches wide and seven inches across. The books were double bound; once with horse leather, then the spines were re-stitched in order to protect the old books from the many ravages of time. Each outer corner was covered with a thin piece of copper, two ninety degree triangles on the top and bottom. The titles were written in black ink, while the authors name was in gold leaf, along with the images in the center of each textbook. Their titles were as follows,




Magic and the Art of Healing



Beasts, Dragons and Deities Vol. 2



The History and Theory of Magic



Galade Magic: Combat Manipulation

Opening a small leather satchel she placed each book inside, one at a time. A knock came from the thick wooden door followed shortly by a deep voice.

"Elspeth c'mon, I don't want to be late because of you." She turned to the door with a gentle sigh and her eyes closed.

"Ok, I get it." she replied with a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "You're always late anyway, so don't go blaming me." She said to herself as she tossed the Combat Manipulation book toward her bed, she didn't need it anyway. She had spent her entire life reading the same text over and over. In an attempt to understand how to use her magic, and no matter what she tried it never worked correctly. Sure she could use magic but she never used the right kind, if something needed healed she always seemed to use fire type magic not earth type. As she walked to her door a clatter came from behind her, she turned to her balcony window. Her eyes widened and her bag slowly slid off her shoulder and found itself leaning against her leg. She slowly moved toward the now shattered window. An elongated sigh came from her lips as she knelt down to all the shards.

"Hey, what are you doing up there?" the guy's voice echoed from a farther distance. Elspeth stood and ran to her door, standing against it she pushed all her weight onto the door. 'Please don't come up here, please please.' she thought as she replied.

"Nothing... I... I just dropped something. Don't worry, I'll clean it up. You go on ahead, I'll catch up." She was not the best liar so keep others from checking on her was hard. As the house's entrance gate glided closed and her mother yelled something outside. She knew she was clear.

"Well at least I can fix this faster now that they're outside." she said as she walked back to her balcony. She stood above the shards, careful not to cut herself with the pieces. She kneeled just before the glass. She put her hands together, palms touching and opened them until only her fingertips touched then she whispered with her eyes closed.

"Amin aino Xeo naham Nin na ant tûr helcë." Her hands began to glow a teal color, and her hair blew backwards, as a small wind picked up around her. The shards began to levitate, each piece swirled in a tornado shape they returned to their original positions. "I did it!" Elspeth clapped her hands, she performed magic and it actually worked. "I can't believe nothing went wrong." she said unable to hold back her excitement, however she soon stopped with entire disappointment.

"Why can't I ever do anything right when it comes to magic?" She placed her hands behind her and sat on the wooden balcony floor, away from the still broken glass. As she laid back, her eyes flew open 'What is that? It wasn't there before. It feels rough, but soft.' Her hands touched just the mysterious object behind her. 'Fur? But how did an animal get on my balcony?'

"God she's heavy! That idiot, this is his fault." A deep rumbling voice snapped from behind her. Elspeth's head slowly turned toward the animal, until her eyes met and comprehended the features of the animal. All Elspeth saw at the moment was a pair of deep amber eyes staring straight at her. They were mesmerizing, the amber color seemed almost nonexistent. As Elspeth stared at them she forgot everything around her, the floor seemed to disappear, the sounds outside vanished. It was as if she was alone with the animal and they were in the darkest of places. Yet she felt safe, warm, and completely relaxed. She could almost see the whole universe in those eyes.

The animal closed its eyes causing Elspeth to shake her head and everything seemed normal again. As it stood off the floor, its legs stretched out and the fur shifted as its body shook.

"Wolf?" she stuttered quietly.



Steel gray claws extended from the wolf's large black paws. Black fur with silver tips stood up. The wolf's long snout cringed, his lips were tight and pulled forward. His ears were pointed slightly forward, while his forehead, neck hair, and hackles raised. Ivory teeth appeared between the jaws, its tongue moved about inside its mouth. The occasional sneeze came out. As it stepped toward Elspeth she glanced at its paws, large black paws with dark colored nails. Its paw was larger than her hand and once it was standing she had to look up to see its eyes as she leaned on her hands.

"At least you know what is going to kill you. So I can kill something smart for once." The wolf snapped stepping closer to her. 'I have do something, what? What do I do?' Elspeth's heart beat faster with each passing second. The wolf lifted its right paw partly above the floor; its claw glistened from the rising sun. 'My voice won’t come work! Why won't it work? Dammit to inferno!' Elspeth pulled her legs to her chest, blocked her head with the back of her arms, and closed her eyes.

"Kedna down!" a voice beckoned toward the wolf, it was too deep to be a women’s and it did not sound familiar. As her eyes slowly allowed colors and light back in; she saw a figure standing between her and the wolf. There was not anything wrong with him. He appeared normal; well as normal as a well-toned person could. Her eyes moved across his backside, he was wearing the school uniform. 'Maybe he is a knight trainee. I should ask.' she thought only to contradict herself a second later. The wolf stepped back and retracted his claws as much as he could.

"Are you okay?" the guy asked turning his head toward her and scratching his scruffy copper colored hair.

'He's got a strange energy aura around him; I've never seen one like that before.' Elspeth thought as she stood up while wiping the dirt off her skirt.

"I'd be better if your pup didn't try to kill me."

"Did you just call me a pup, girl!?" Kedna snarled almost going at her again; however the guy interfered again.

"I told you not to go around attacking humans." the guy yelled at the wolf. The wolf's eyes meet with the guy's shoulders. Elspeth stared at the enormous wolf, it had to be at least 5' 6" possibly bigger. Although most devil dogs didn't reach 5' and a hypocanis was only 5' 4" so maybe it was just big. But either way just the size of the animal peaked her interest, not to mention its fluency in human tongue and the fact that it listened to a human.

"Yeah well I'm not the one who used magic to win a sparring match."

"I didn't cast that spell and you know it. You're just trying to win that match."

"As if, I could beat you any dame day!" Kedna growled back.

"Um... excuse me." Elspeth started until the guys voice covered hers to yell at the wolf. Her checks puffed out and turned red, like a small child when they get upset.

"Hey, I'm trying to tell you something. Now listen will you." She spoke louder grabbing his forearm and turning him around, but when he did she fell quiet and starred for a moment. His nose fit perfectly between two deep sapphire eyes, which as strange as it seemed they matched the wolf's down to the last detail. He also had a devilish grin from his lips, which only made his face more kissable. Elspeth felt his arm slipping out of her hand.

"O' no you don't." she said tightening her grip. As she stopped moving he spun his hand and grabbed Elspeth's wrist. In doing so she stumbled forward landing on his chest, which felt very well-toned. Elspeth's heart began to pound faster with each passing second.

"Well at least you find me attractive." he said with a teasing smile.

"What are you talking about?!" She stuttered stepping back and pulling her hand away, rubbing it.

"That's very interesting." he muttered while looking at the palm of his hand. Kedna sat down next to him annoyed at both of the humans.

"O yeah it is very interesting." he replied in a half yawn.

"Sorry, but what's interesting?" Elspeth asked with an intriguing sounding voice. The guy looked down at her, which was normal for him but strange for her; seeing how she was as tall as most 17 year old guys. His strange colored eyes made Elspeth smile and her heart slowed back down. They seemed very calming, yet complicated, like a puzzle that has yet to be solved or a game without a set end.

"What?" he asked with confusion on his face and irritation in his voice.

"Nothing." She said closing her eyes and smiling even more, the sunlight hit her face at such an angle that her hair was a dull gold and her skin almost glowed.

"I was just thinking how..." Elspeth's voice trailed off at the sound of a bell chime. "The school bell! We're going to be late." Elspeth said grabbing and pulling him into her room.

"Hey, wait a minute." He said as his face finally turned a different color, he could have pulled off being a demon or vampire with such a pale face and emotionless posture.

Elspeth turned and pointed her index finger at him.

"It's your fault that I'm going to be late in the first place. So there are no waits or buts until we get to the school and in class." Elspeth pulled him through the door, down a stair case and threw the front door yelling back. "I'm leaving now!" Yoko leaned over the counter with a confused look on her face.

"What's with her?" the woman's large, in muscle, husband asked.

"I bet its love." Yoko answered finishing her dishes as the man started to choke on his drink.

"Love!" he yelled in anger and disbelief.

"Yes dear, it's when two people like each other. Well maybe just one person, but always involves two or more people."

"I know what it is dear. But why does Elspeth have to fall in love first? I don't know how to deal with lovey-dovey girls." Yoko smiled with entertainment as she sat down with a wet plate in her hands.

"Honey, Von fell in love with a girl many years ago." She laughed as her husband's face fell deeper into depression. She whispered as her hands turned a green teal color and all the dishes dried at once. "Cheer up honey, Von has yet to figure it out. Something he got from you."




With the gate closed Elspeth let her feet guide her, the feeling of running was something no one could give you. The fresh air in your lungs, your chest feels like it’s on fire, but most of all you feel like you could do anything. This was the rush that she got every time she ran somewhere, be it for only a moment or most of the day. Growing up on these streets she knew every corner, side road, shortcut, and back alley. The sky was not any blue color, it was a combination of bright yellows, vivid oranges, and crimson reds. Even the occasional violets appeared across the vase sky. This was nothing new to Elspeth, she was told that on the surface the sky changed from reds to blues to pink and purples every day. It was said that on parts of the surface had streaks of green across the sky. She could not even imagine a sky other than the bright one that spread around the city, however many traders and merchants spoke of this unknown sky; that she could not help but believe this almost impossible notion.




Not everyone who lived on the island could say they knew everything about it, but Elspeth made it her task to remember each road perfectly, nothing else better to do when you can only go so far before falling off. She also knew exactly what route to take in order to get fresh bread from the bakery, Panadeiro Pastel always had something for her whether it was a fresh baked meat pie or a handmade turnover pastry, and she made sure to have time before school previous years to be able to savor the smell that Pastel artistically designed each morning. Creating a bread for every person that could walk by his shop. He once told her that creating a pastry was similar to casting a spell, thou many mages us fire magic each one has their own specific flavor that makes it one of a kind. She found it interesting that he compared his pastry making to magic using, however her taste buds really did not care what he compared pastries to.




The school was the furthest building from the living area of town. She did not need to think while her legs ran, they knew exactly where to go. She turned right after the metal work section of town, the three owners where brothers and although their jobs were very competitive they seemed to always get along. The large buildings once owned by Ferro and Parta Jamento, the original silversmith and his wife. They created the first silver and leather work for the air ship docks. When the two of them gave a third of the business to each son they went from brothers to competitors. Elspeth, like most locals, found their rivalry fun to watch and harmless to anyone. Across the broad street was a building with many windows and a wooden sign attached to a pole above the door, upon which was an image of a wolf’s head. The tips of the fur curled out into small clouds. Above the image read ‘Elvish Earl’ while below the image read the word ‘Inn’ in slightly larger letters. It shared its building with The Emerald Raven Tavern. Down the street was Coitelo's Butchery, thou you would assume that he chopped up pigs, cows, and the occasional deer. In truth he rarely saw these kinds of animals but found it more profitable to cut the meat of a wyvern or a mokin, beast that lived on the outskirts of the city. He was a master at cutting smaller animals such as rabbits, birds of prey, and small goats. He talked about his journey on the surface and how he had even butchered a dragon for the king of Hia. A nice way to get the younger children to respect him, as time went on Elspeth found it harder to believe he had left the island. As Elspeth continued she heard something behind her, small pebbles skipped across the cobblestone footpath as she slowed herself to a complete stop.

۝Elspeth’s POV۝

“Did you say something?” she asked looking at the boy, she took deep breathes and tried slowing her heart down.

“Max.” the boy said barely breathing heavily. A confused look crossed Elspeth’s face. “My name is Max.” as he finished his sentence a second bell rang. Max’s eyes glanced toward the school, it was another fifteen minutes away if they walked. Elspeth started toward the school; as soon as she did Max pulled on her hand so she stumbled back onto his chest.

“I ask Ton to summon thee to grant me the power of time, and help grant my wish today.” He raised his left hand straight above them. Little gold lights appeared from his hand. The leaves stopped in midair, the air stilled, and all the noses silenced. When Max re-opened his eyes they weren’t the same as before, they were darker now. They had a certain loneliness shimmer in them.

“We don’t have a lot of time, no pun intended, so come on.” His hand reaching toward Elspeth’s, who was staring at all the things that were still in the air? Her hand twitched back, but she reached her hand up to his. It was a strange thing but she always had a trust problem with anyone, male or female. Their hands intertwined at the wrist, Max’s warm hand engulfed hers making her hand warmer, until their hands were the same tempter. Max’s hand tightened and they started toward the school. As they ran Elspeth saw everyone’s face expressions, and almost giggled. She hit her head on Max’s back. She stepped back and rubbed her nose.

“That hurt! You're supposed to tell someone when you’re going to stop.”

“Did you say something? Anyway class is going to start.” He said dropping her hand and walking off. Elspeth turned as she heard Von and Scarlet. Everything returned to normal as though it was just a dream. A dream where Elspeth was held twice by the same tall, dark, and extremely hot guy.

“Elspeth how in the world did you, never mind. Just make sure you get to class on time will yeah,”

“Yeah I know. Or someone might notice that I’m weird. I’ve heard it a thousand times Von.”

“Good then I don’t have to tell you, right?” Von said leaning over her, his ash mauve colored eyes looking deep at her. It was always the same; people never look to others they look at them with no wonder what are in them. Didn’t anyone wonder what made each person different?

“Yes I understand Von”

“Great, then I’ll see you in class.’’ He said leaving with Scarlet hitting and yelling at him, again. Elspeth slowly followed them listening to the people whispering down the hallway.

“Hay it’s the elite class members.”

“Von’s so hot!”
Hey do you like Scarlet or Elspeth more?”

“Elspeth, but whoever wants to date her has to go through her brother.”

“Yeah that’s pretty bad; I think our best bet would be Bria-day.” Elspeth always heard the same thing every day, and they were always right. Von had been protecting her since they were little, and for that she did what he said. That and he was supposed to be the next knight commander after graduation, and getting beat up by a girl was not what the Knight Quadrant was looking for. But only at school was Elspeth the angel all the guys liked, once they got out of the building and away from people Von was going to get it.

۝Max’s POV۝


“Max your acting weird, weird for you. What’s wrong?” Kedna grunted walking across the school building’s roof ledge very carefully.

“It’s nothing Kedna.” Max said leaning over the roof’s railing. ‘That girl was weird; I mean she didn’t even act like a girl. Her aurora was strange to; it was two colors not one.’ Kedna jumped off the ledge he had been walking across and sat next to Max.

“You’re thinking of that person from this morning.”

“I’m not thinking of Elspeth, who can’t stop talking for a minute!” Max spat out in one quick breath turning his head to Kedna. Kedna stood up, turned and simply walked toward the door.

“I never said which person it was.” His tail wagged back in forth in amusement. Max stared turning red as he figured out Kedna’s trick.

“That little bastard, I’m going to kick his ass. Just wait until I get my hands on you Kedna!” Max said slamming the roof door, stomping down the three flights of stairs. Max knew full well Kedna would not be there no matter how fast he was Max was not going to be able to catch Kedna in front of his classmates.

As he walked down the hall the girls whispered and giggled, the boys talked to. But no matter whom it was they never got in his way, except Von and Scarlet-who pissed him off for some reason. He noticed there weren’t very many people today and those who were there all headed toward the arena. Max opened one of the class doors to find no one there.

“Maybe I’ve got the wrong room.” He said sighing heavily.

“No it’s the correct room you just didn’t go to the ceremony that’s all.” Max turned to see Elspeth standing behind him. As he noticed she was right, the classrooms were empty and every human was in the arena or making their way to it, a smile crossed his face.

“So you skipped it to. How lucky for me.” He said leaning his back to one side of the doorway.

“No I finished my speech so I came to the class room, it wasn’t luck just a coincidence.” She said walking over his legs and into the room. The room was standard, one chalkboard, a counter in the back, and a wall of windows. The desks were arranged in rows of three and columns of five. Elspeth took the first row next to the window. Max sat two desks behind her, ready for a nap he leaned back. Unfortunately the chair wasn’t attached to the desk and Max fell backward. As his head hit the floor he heard a small laugh from above. When he opened his eyes Elspeth was laughing and looking over his desk.

“Are you ok?” she asked trying not to laugh, which wasn’t working.

“Yeah I’m fine.” He said slightly glaring at her in annoyance-more toward the chair then her but he didn’t care. She walked over to him, now stand a few feet from his fallen chair.

“I didn’t mean to laugh but it was really funny.” She said reaching her hand to him. Max looked at her, she was definitely different from others. She seemed more open and not scared of much, including saying what she wanted when she wanted. Max took her hand, and she helped pull him up.

“Glad you’re easily amused.” He said setting the chair on all fours again.

“So why did you and that dog show up on my balcony this morning?” ‘That is a good question, he didn’t cast a transfer spell and Kedna never ran. The only other person who could have done it would have had to be at the location of Kedna’s destination.’ Max was puzzled until it hit him.

“Hey can you use transportation magic?” The look that crossed Elspeth’s face told Max she couldn’t.

“Not really, I can cast spells but something else always happens. If I try a water spell something always flies at me. Fire spells usually cause storms, and don’t make me tell you about my earth spell.” ‘Three elements most teachers can pull that off.’

“By the way I’m Elspeth Kyodai. I don’t think I told you before.” She said smiling up at him. He smiled, already knowing her name he found it cute that she introduced herself in such a simple matter, until he noticed they were still holding hands, and he let go quickly.

“O I was wondering if you wanted to be on my team for the tests.” She asked sitting in her desk. Max’s eyebrow lifted as he replied.

“How do you know we are going to be in teams?”

“Being in the student council has its benefits.” She said in an over happy voice.

“I’ll think about it.” He said with that teasing smile. Elspeth blushed and turned to the front. The sunlight danced a crossed her golden-brown locks and tiny little face. Max just sat there watching her and ignoring the sharp pain in his chest. He wasn’t worried about it, since it couldn’t be his heart. Seeing how he hadn’t had one for the last nine years. Max and Elspeth sat in silence for over twenty minutes before the other members of their class entered.

Myith was as tall as Bria-day’s shoulder and had a gift for animals. He took a baby formu lizard with him everywhere he went. It was about five feet long from head to tail, had two small legs with four claws on each. A three foot long tail, two horns on its head and could change its shape at will. Myith had short black hair. He was a year younger than most of the other examines. He did everything Bria-day said, not for any real reason except he wanted to.

The twins, as they were called, were in their own little league. The both stood 5” 4’ with dark brown hair and crisp green eyes. They always finished each other’s sentences and were never separated. They both wore knight uniforms and had bright green eyes.

Scarlet had very unique hair, the top and roots were crimson red, however the length was a blend of black hair and poppy red colored hair, it was all natural to which gave her a very dangerous look. Her hair was always loose and reached the middle of her ass. She was also the only girl that Von still hung out with, besides Bria-day and Elspeth who were like sisters. She wore a red uniform like Elspeth’s and Bria-day’s. She was the best Fire Sage at the school, and was the only girl that had a special uniform made because of her large breast size.

The last of the group was Von, he was known everywhere in town. He had a natural way with the sword, or so the knights all said but that did not stop him from always practiced. Every girl liked him, except Bria-day and Elspeth. And all the guys though it an honor to fight him in a practice match, except Max. Each one of them was of royal blood, except Von, Elspeth and Myith. Von’s dad was a great knight and Myith got in because Bria-day said so. Elspeth only hung out with them, she didn’t want to be part of the group but everyone believed she was. Besides the seven student council members there were three other girls, four guys, and Max in the class. After everyone entered the class they continued talking. The girls circled Von, the guys talked about fighting techniques, and Scarlet practiced her finger fire balls mostly on Von.

Bria-day was short and wore glasses. She always had a book in her hands and never forgot anything. Her pale blue hair was always in a braid and almost touched the ground. She had the same uniform as Elspeth but hers was tan not green. She also wore a deep sapphire green cloak.

“I believe the bell rang some time ago.” A tall lady spoke in a clear voice and waiting for them all to sit.

“I will be taking role and then explaining the testing rules once.” She said loudly so all the students heard her.

“Miss. Charlotte Abington?”
“Here”

“Mr. Samuel Barker.”
“Accounted for.”

“Mr. Zak and Mr. Jak Chik?”
“Were here” they said together

“Miss. Scarlet Hian?”
“I’m present.”

“Mr. Tyler Hind”
“Present and accounted for.”

“Miss. Bria-day Kazen?”
“Here”

“Mr. Von and Miss Elspeth Kyodai?”
“Were both here mama.” Elspeth spoke out.

“Miss Clover Narik?”
“Present.”

“Miss. Victoria Prescott”
“Attending.”

“Mr. Myith Roiyaruhi?”
“Here”

“Mr. Gale Smith?”
“Present”

“Mr. Link Torsh?”
“Here”

“Max Yaragado?”
“Yeah?”

“Alright then there are two rules for your test. First you must pick your own team of five.” Von stood as others talked about the rule.

“Why only five. That seems a little small for beginners.”

“If you’re too scared to only have four guards you could always stay behind.” Max blurted, more of a grumble, out at him. Von glared at him at sat back down cursing him out.

“The second is you must stay alive.” With that all the students fell silent and looked up at her.

“What’s that supposed to mean?!” Victoria yelled with a wince in her throat. The teacher went to her desk and grabbed a piece of chalk and went to the board.

“Miss Kyodai who would you like to be in your group?”

“Why does she go first?” Two girls said together.

“She will pick first because one she hasn’t spoken out and two she is sitting in the first seat. That’s why, now Miss. Kyodai.”

۝Elspeth’s POV۝

“Just a moment I didn’t know I was going first.” Max smiled to himself at that comment. ‘That’s why she left earlier than everyone else. She’s smarter than most would think. Plus she can use three different elements I wasn’t expecting her to learn so fast.’ he thought as he reclined in his chair, knowing not to learn far back. Elspeth looked around thinking about everyone’s weaknesses and advantages. ‘The twins are great for defense but talk too much, they would give use away. Bria-day knows a lot about plants and can use wind magic.’

“First is Bria-day Kazen.” The teacher wrote her name under Elspeth’s. ‘Let’s see Myith does what Bria-day does and has his pet so that would help if we get into trouble.’

“Next is Myith Roiyaruhi.” ‘After that is Von and Scarlet they are formidable but I don’t want Von on my team if possible, so that takes them both out. I’m not sure I should have girls I don’t know on my team, they won’t leave Max alone. I guess out of the guys I’d pick Gale because his father and he run the blacksmith together so that would be handy.’

“Third I would like Gale Smith.” As his name left Elspeth’s lips Von became confused and mad at the same time and she could tell by a glance.

“Alright one more please.” ‘This one’s simple as long as he doesn't mind.’ She glanced to Max for approval but he was not paying attention.

“Last will be Max Yaragado.” She said and the girls started talking out again.

“Why those four it makes no sense. Make her explain her picking.” The teacher sighed and nodded toured Elspeth, as a queue to explain.

۝Max’s POV۝

“I choose Bria-day because of her knowledge of plants and animals. Myith will help with defense and Gale can fix weapons and make tools. Last was Max because he is a good offense.”

‘Good, I’m the best offense fighter in the school you idiot. Although if you knew that little bit I think it would freak me out.’ Max though in the moment watching as she sat back down and the teacher spoke up again.

“Good enough for me. Jak you're up next.”

“Zak, Von, Scarlet, and Link please.” He said quickly and proudly.

“Ok then that leaves Clover, Tyler, Samuel, and Charlotte. You are now ready to take the exams.”

“Wait I’m not on a team?” Victoria blurted out again.”

“Maybe I should put her on my team and get her injured enough to shut her up for five minutes.” Elspeth whispered to herself. The teacher sighed

“Miss. Prescott, you were not forgotten about you have the job of keeping score of the three teams. This guarantees you a place in the graduation.” She said smiling and breathing in and out. Victoria sat back down in an upset manner that was supposed look lady-like.

“In the gym you may take any weapons or items you want. When you’re done go the courtyard and the magic teachers will transport you to your testing area.” She took a breath.

“Future knights and sages or casters I give you your levee.” She finished with a small bow in their direction.

۝Von's POV۝
After she finished bowing in respect everyone headed to the gym in their groups. Von kept his eyes on Elspeth as she talked and smiled at Max, the bastard could go straight to hell as far Von was concerned. What the hell was wrong with Elspeth today, she never would have picked someone over him, especially not Max of all people. As he clenched his fists a warm hand covered his own, heat shot through his arm into the rest of his body.

"Scarlet." he looked over at her as she walked next to him. She was slightly shorter than himself, but that was only recently. From the time they had met Scarlet had been the taller one up until a few years ago.

"You need to calm down. Just because Elspeth went and picked someone else is no reason to get pissed off." her eyes shifted up in his direction as a smirk crossed half of her face.

"I'm not pissed at all." Von said with overcoming pride on his face.

"How long have we known each other Von?" the random question caught Von off his guard.

"Eh.. Um..." He thought for a moment at Scarlet's question, he rested his left hand on his chin while he counted the years. "thirteen years ago, I think." He didnt actually remember how long it had been, when other people asked he just said they were childhood friends. He didn't see a need to remember.

"Yes. The eighteen of winter during the year 581." Von looked at Scarlet quite surprised that she remembered the exact date. "Do you know why I know the day so well?" Von shook his head slightly. "Because that was the first time I got to smile after leaving home." Von cheeks turned a pale pink, as Scarlet stopped and turned to face him. "So when Elspeth picks someone and smiles at them you of all people should be able to understand how that makes Max feel." She smiled at Von, she knew she was right. He sighed and watched Elspeth get further ahead.

"You know one of these days she won't need you anymore." Scarlet said letting go of Von's hand, now that it was relaxed.

"I know that. I just don't like it."

"maybe than you can look at someone else." Scarlet grumbled to herself.

"What? You say something Scar." He glanced at her as she walked off.

"Nothing!" he smiled as he watched her walk off.

۝Max’s POV۝

“Quickly now.” An older woman kept repeating to students in the gym. Elspeth stood almost shaking with nervousness as the teachers started sending groups to the testing arenas.

“You ok, El.” His deep voice almost took off her little neck hairs.

“Fine. And why’d you call me El?” She asked tipping her head back to see those sapphire eyes shimmer with amusement.

“It’s a shorting of your full name you spell it E.l.s.p.e.t.h.” as he finished she giggled. He gave a blank, yet confused look

“The ‘l’ is silent. You pronounce it Espeth.” The minute they stared at each other felt longer to Max, He wanted to grab her little ears and pull her closer to him. He didn’t really care if she grew taller or scooted back two feet; either way was fine with him. His eyes looked up when a teacher came over. Elspeth turned her face to the woman and bowed her head slightly. The woman just smiled and pulled a small piece of paper out of her blue cloak.

۝Elspeth’s POV۝

“Are you this group’s captain?” She asked her with a slight bow of her own head.

“Yes.” She stuttered out. The women just smiled at her and continued her speech.

“This paper must make it through the exam along with everyone in your group. Now if you are all ready I will send you to take your test.”Elspeth looked back to check everyone’s facial expression. Myith looked excited while petting Goku, his formu lizard, who sat on one of his shoulders with his tail hanging down Myith’s back. Bria-day was reading with her ever stern and expression less face-her and Max could have a staring contest. Gale’s face looked more scared than anything but Elspeth knew he didn’t like fighting, which was why he was a blacksmith not a knight in training. As her eyes fell upon Max, well in this case they looked up, but he wasn’t looking at her at all. ‘Ignore me will ya’ she though turning back to the teacher with a smile and slight nod. The teacher raised her hand above her and spoke clearly.

“I ask Uchu to grant my wish of Transportation!” as she finished she touched Elspeth’s forehead, Elspeth grabbed Max’s hand, Max grabbed Gale’s, Gale grabbed Myith, and Myith grabbed Bria-day’s.

Everything went black.

“Quickly now.” An older woman kept repeating to students in the gym. Elspeth stood almost shaking with nervousness as the teachers started sending groups to the testing arenas.

“You ok, El.” His deep voice almost took off her little neck hairs.

“Fine. And why’d you call me El?” She asked tipping her head back to see those sapphire eyes shimmer with amusement.

“It’s a shorting of your full name you spell it E.l.s.p.e.t.h.” as he finished she giggled.

“The ‘l’ is silent. You pronounce it Espeth.” The minute they stared at each other felt longer to Max, He wanted to grab her little ears and pull her closer to him. He didn’t really care if she grew taller of scooted back two feet; either way was fine with him. His eyes looked up when a teacher came over. Elspeth turned her face to the woman and bowed her head slightly. The woman just smiled and pulled a small piece of paper out of her blue cloak.

“Are you this group’s captain?” She asked her with a slight bow of her own head.

“Yes.” She stuttered out. The women just smiled at her and continued her speech. “This paper must make it through the exam along with everyone in your group. Now if you are all ready I will send you to take your test.” Elspeth looked back to check everyone’s facial expression. Myith looked excited while petting Goku, his formu lizard, who sat on one of his shoulders with his tail hanging down Myith’s back. Bria-day was reading with her ever stern and expression less face-her and max could have a staring contest. Gale’s face looked more scared than anything but Elspeth knew he didn’t like fighting, which was why he was a blacksmith not a knight in training. As her eyes fell upon Max, well in this case they looked up, but he wasn’t looking at her at all. ‘Ignore me will ya’ she though turning back to the teacher with a smile and slight nod. The teacher raised her hand above her and spoke clearly. “I ask Uchu to grant my wish of Transportation!” as she finished she touched Elspeth’s forehead, Elspeth grabbed Max’s hand, Max grabbed Gale’s, Gale grabbed Myith, and Myith grabbed Bria-day’s. Everything went black.

۝

As Elspeth opened her eyes she was tugged behind a rock, a little too fast and she became dizzy.

“What was that for?” she asked Myith before noticing him pointing up and a finger on his mouth, telling her to be quiet without words. Elspeth looked up to see iron bars about fifteen feet above them. She gasped as a warm presence slid next to her.

۝

Max had to get his breathing back down and quickly, though it wasn’t helping that he sat next to a golden haired angel that was staring at him with those big emerald eyes, the eyes that looked so full of life and always seemed to be looking in his direction.

“Are you ok?” He asked breathing normally, as normal as a heartless person could breath anyway.

“I’m fine but I thought we were supposed to be taking a test. Not fight in an arena.”

“This is the test; I already dragged that guy over here and shook him till he woke. That lizard thing was acting weird.”

“Goku sensed something unfriendly. I can’t read it so it’s not a creature of my ability.”

“That means its strong right.” Myith answered with a nod before remember about Bria-day. “Wait what about Bria-day and Gale?” he looked horrified

“There fine, she’s smart isn’t she?” That’s an understatement if there was ever one, Bria-day’s IQ level at age 10 was 295 and she never forgot anything. Elspeth guessed that Bria-day probably had an IQ of 400 or more by now, but she was trying to guess low. Max leaned over the rock they had been hiding behind. He caught sight of the thing they were supposed to fight. The creature had two large front paws, each with three sharp claws; it also had a huge tail with scales lined on the top and sides. It had two horns on its head right above its ears. Under its jaw was a line of large white crystals attached like fur. As it raised its nose Max ducted back behind the rock.

“S***. This isn’t going to be easy.” He said taking off his school jacket. Elspeth peered across the arena to see people outside the iron bars. Her eyes finally caught a glimpse of Yoko and Hed. Next to them sat Von, Scarlet and the twins. ‘They finished already? Of course they had, they had Von and Scarlet, and they also probably got an easy test and started first.

“That thing is going to need to be caught not killed.” Max said to Myith and Elspeth as he drew a resemblance of the arena in the dirt. “It’s called a sagi dragon, for anyone who didn’t know.”

“Aren’t those things dangerous even for people with experience?” Myith asked letting Goku loose to find Bria-day and Gale without giving their position away. Goku curled into a ball and slowly turned into a small beetle bug- a beetle that was as hard as diamonds and blinded into almost every environment.

“Yes, but if you know there weakness then they aren’t hard to take down. The problem is Bria-day uses ice, earth, and water magic right?” Elspeth and Myith nodded as a response. “The sagi dragon has white crystals not black which is going to make this a lot harder.”

“What does it matter if it has light or dark crystals?” Myith said looking confused.

“A sagi dragon can only hurt if its crystals are on the opposite side of the elemental table Myith.” Bria-day said as she appeared out of thin air with Gale holding on and Goku, who jumped into Myith’s lap. “You should know that.” She said glaring at him.

“That’s correct. And since Bria-day can only use elements on the light side of the table it will only stun the dragon not hurt it.”

“Wait what elements would work on it then?” Gale asked checking on the dragon. It was now sniffing were him and Bria-day were moments ago. Max sighed and drew a circle and then ten smaller circles, eight on the large circle and two circles overlapping in the middle.

“There are ten elements in the world; space, ice, earth, water, light, time, wind, lightning, fire, and dark. Everything we know can be made by these ten elements.” Everyone shook their heads giving Max the okay to finish explaining. “Starting with the top left circle.” He said pointing to the one he was talking about. “This is where space goes. Going down the left side we have ice, then earth, and finally water. Each one of these is considered a light element. Now on the opposite side are the dark elements. Starting at the top it goes time, then wind, lightning, and finally fire. In the center are the elements of light and dark. Now if you match the dark elements with the light ones directly across from them you can find that elements major weakness.” Max took a breath and checked their timing on the dragon; it was still busy with digging up the same spot. “Each side has its strongest and its weakest elements; water and fire are the stronger of the two sides. Next would be lightning and earth; ice and wind; the weakest are space and time, these are also the rarest. However if someone can posses the elements light or dark they would be stronger than any of the elements on the same side, but not necessarily stronger against the other elements or more than one on the same side, any questions?” Max asked looking at everyone. Each of them shaking their heads, as to tell him no.

“Ok so if we don’t have the right elements how do we kill it?” Gale asked scratching his head.

“We’re not. We need to catch it and I’ve got a pretty good idea on how.” Max said looking at Bria-day. “First thing we need is rope, and lots of it.”

“I have some in my workshop but none of the contestants are allowed to leave.” Gale said disappointment until Goku jumped to the ground and shrunk into a four inch tall puffball with wings and an earth type tail.

“Kyōshitsu ni idō shi, rōpu o shutoku!” Myith said smiling at Goku, who replied with a little yep. “He’ll be back in four minutes.” Max faced Bria-day and put his hand on her book until she looked back.

“I need you to distract that thing for ten minutes.” Bria-day closed her book, handed it to Miyth, stood and walked toward the dragon.

“Is she crazy?” Gale and Elspeth said in unison. Max held back a smile that tugged at his lips, he wasn’t sure.

۝

While the two guys were busy watching Bria-day, Max grabbed Elspeth’s hand.

“Come on we have something else to do before that lizard gets back with the rope.” Elspeth stood, more of a crouch and followed Max to another part of the arena with a group of trees and brush.

“Okay what is our part in all this?” Elspeth asked kneeling in front of Max, who was also kneeling.

“We need to use magic to make that thing injured enough so it doesn’t break through the rope.”

“But I though it couldn’t be hurt by light elements.”

“It can’t but you said earlier that you could cast fire spells…”

“Yeah but I always screw them up.” She interrupted

“Yes but that means you have the ability to cast dark elements.” He said with a sigh and a glance away.

“What does that matter?” Elspeth asked more confused now than before.

“You know about Galade Magic right.” He asked looking down at her, and thinking she didn’t from her facial expression. Which was odd almost every magic user was required to know of it. “Galade Magic can only be used when two people with the ability to use the same type of elements channel their magic together.”

“In other words they become the same person with more power for a time being.” Elspeth pointed out felling smart with her conclusion. Warmth crept up Max’s neck as she finished. “Yeah that’s one way of looking at it. Anyway, that’s how where going to hurt it.”

“But Bria-day can’t use dark elements only light ones so it won’t work.”

“I can use dark elements.” He muttered quietly.

“What!” Max covered her mouth and told her to shush.

“That’s how I could stop time earlier and how I showed up at your house to grab Kedna.” Elspeth eyes flipped from left to right putting everything together. “But guys can’t use magic. Not unless they have royal blood.” Max scratched his copper hair and looked away.

“I’m aware of that Elspeth. I get reminded every day. But we need to forget about the little details and hurry it up. That lizard should have come back already.” Elspeth looked over to Miyth and Gale who were busy tying rope to one of the iron bars on the side of the arena. Miyth smiled at her to acknowledge he saw her.

“So how do you do Galade Magic?” she asked her complete attention on Max now.

۝


Bria-day approached the massive beast as it continued sniffing and digging at her previous earth spell. She removed her glasses, placing them on her shirt between her breasts. Her pale blue hair loosened and circled around her person. Her purple eyes turned a pale teal color, almost like mist. She placed her right hand in front of her, her index and middle fingers standing up and the other two were curled. Her thumb pointed away from her hand. She then placed her other hand in the same position and made a triangle out of the thumbs, middle and index fingers.

“I Bria-day Kaze first daughter of the royal blood line of the wind goddess summon and call forth the three elements of protection. Mizu, goddesses of water. Chikiya, goddesses of earth. Kori, goddesses of ice. Come to my aid!” As she spoke blue, green, and pale blue lights surrounded her hands. The sagi dragon’s ears perked back and it turned its head. Staring at Bria-day its eyes narrowed, its mouth opened to show a drooling tongue and sharp teeth. As its tail rose Bria-day brought one hand to her lips “Bring me aid.” She whispered as she sliest her hand across the air. At the same time the dragon slammed its tail down on top of Bria-day.
Myith watched Bria-day walk toward the dragon and Elspeth walk off with Max. Gale’s face was as white as a ghost as he sat scratching one thumb with the other.

“You ok?” Myith asked. Gale looked up and stopped scratching.

“I’m not used to fighting everyone else seems so normal at this.” Miyth laughed

“That’s not true. Bria-day doesn’t show very many emotions to begin with. She’s also really confident in her spells. Elspeth is more of an encourager than a fighter so you’ll never see her not smiling. I don’t scare easy because I have Goku and Bria-day. Don’t know what Max’s story is but he seems like he was born to fight. You just haven’t gotten experience in fighting.” Gale’s face looked worse after Myith’s little speech. “Don’t worry though if we didn’t have you we never would have known where to get rope from. Elspeth is excellent at figuring peoples weaknesses and strengths just by looking at them. So if she picked you that would just mean you have something she figured we could use or need.” As Myith finished Goku burrowed up between them with a bag full of rope. The three of them ran to the closest bar. Gale tied the rope on before realizing the type of iron

“Make sure you tie them in French knots or else they won’t hold. They made the bars from fire iron, it’s strong but if the ropes aren’t tied right they will fall off with the smallest pull” Myith nodded and told Goku in the same language as before

“Hey I got a question.” Gale asked climbing up another bar.

“I’m listening.”

“If Elspeth picked use because we’d be helpful why didn’t she pick Von instead?”

“O, that’s because Elspeth does everything Von says. Like me with Bria-day, we don’t have to we just do. So she wanted to do the test herself instead of relying on Von for everything.”

“I guess that makes since. What are Elspeth and Max doing anyway?” Miyth looked over at them to see her looking back. He smiled at her to signal he acknowledged her. She then had her full attention on Max.

“I’m not sure but we need to get down and to the other side.” Goku changed into a small griffin and flew them to the ground. As they got to the other end Myith turned to see the sagi dragon’s tale slam on top of Bria-day. He dropped to his knees and froze, his eyes dilated.

۝


The crowd stood with whispers and gasps in all directions. Dust covered a good portion of the arena as the dragon’s tail laid were Bria-day once stood. Elspeth’s, Max’s and Gale’s eyes all watched to see if she was hurt or not. The dragon removed its tail and stepped closer to its prize. Its nose sniffed, but only sneezed from all the dust.

“It’s not polite to hit your guest.” Bria-day yelled as she rose from the ground in a large ball made completely of water. Clearing the arena of all the dust she landed back on her feet in a small puddle of water below her. The crowd settled down and clapped at her ability to protect herself with such a difficult spell. Gale shook Myith until he came back to his senses.

“She’s okay Myith. That was a close one though.” Gale said helping Myith onto his feet.

“How much more time do you guys need?” Max asked as he reached them with Elspeth.

“I’d say ten maybe fifteen minutes.”

“Fifteen minutes!” Max yelled in frustration

“Yeah we need to finish this side and the top. If we rush it could screw everything up and we don’t really got a second chance.” He had a point and Max couldn’t argue it.

“Fine but work quickly. We’ll try and by you guy as must time as possible. Come on Elspeth.” He said running toward to dragon.

“Good luck, Elspeth!” Gale said blushing after she smiled back.

“Come on lover boy.” Myith laughed as he climbed.

۝

Elspeth caught up with Max in no time.

“Okay you remember how it works?” Elspeth nodded and held her hands up in front of her chest. Max place his hands inches away from hers.

“Okay now just summon one of the dark elements. And remember it doesn’t matter which one.” Elspeth breathed in and back out she saw Von watching her and her hands feel.

“What is it, hey?” Max yelled trying not to provoke the dragon’s attention.

“I never told them I could use magic.” Max looked confused until he turned to see what made her upset. He glared at Von, like he knew it had to be Von.

“Elspeth.” Max grabbed the side of her shoulders. “Elspeth!” She looked up at him almost ready to cry. “Your brother is not fighting, you are. And no one in this arena is going to be able to leave unless we fight it with magic. Don’t even think about them okay.” Elspeth nodded and stood straight up. She replaced her hands in the correct position. Max’s hands touched hers, just the pales.

“I ask Kaminari to summon thee to grant me the power of lightning and to help grant my wish today.” As she finished small sparks came out of her hands and around Max’s.

“I Max Tsuki second son of the royal blood line of the dark god summon the ability to grow and concur.” As he spoke Elspeth stared at him with disbelief in her eyes and a hint of curiosity. When he finished Elspeth’s vision turned white until she found herself in an endless room.

“You wish to bond to the one call Max Tsuki correct.” A deep grumbled spoke from behind her. As she turned she saw a pure black wolf with the occasional white streaks of fur on its jaw line.

“Yes I do.” The wolf sat with an appealing look in its eyes.

“You understand you cannot make a second contract nor use magic with anyone else of the dark elements.”

“I understand the laws of Galade Magic and I except all terms.” She said placing a hand on her chest. The wolf stood and started circling her slowly.

“Interesting well then if you can give me the answer to the riddle I will give you the ability you seek.” Elspeth took a breath and looked at the wolf in the eyes.

“Very well your riddle is this. What is cold, yet warm? Hard, but soft. Stone and wax. Hope, as well as destruction. Is visualized as red but rarely seen.” Elspeth watched as the wolf laid down.

“My answer will be the human heart.” The wolf raised one of its eyebrows.

“What makes you so sure, princess?”

“Because it changes so much that it is possible to be all of those things, and we believe it to be red because that is the color of our blood but most never see one there entire life.” The wolf stood in front of Elspeth within seconds.

“I congratulate you in the correct answer. Your reward is the ability you require. But remember my little princess, those with the possession of wings will not have that of my riddle and you can never gain what has been lost.”

“Another riddle?” the wolf jumped and placed a paw on her chest, where her heart would be.

“Perhaps, but this one will not be so easy to figure out young princess.” As the wolf’s voice faded she heard a more familiar voice.

“Elspeth walk up. Elspeth!” Max’s voice echoed in her ear. Her eyes opened to find Max’s head inches away.

“What the?” she started as she realized she was see threw.

“Great job on the lightning spell by the way. We have successfully created Galade Magic. O, and don’t stand up a lot.” Elspeth almost asked why until she realized everyone could see her bare chest. She turn bright red, well would have it she had color to her, and hid her chest behind Max’s shoulder.

“So how does this work again?”

“Simple your magic goes through my body and into my weapon. Making you untouchable and me able to hurt that thing, ready?"

۝


Von stared as Elspeth’s body lit up and then disappeared. He stood along with his mother, Yoko.

“Isn’t that Galade Magic?” He said more of a question than actual statement.

“Yes, but how did she learn to use it? We don’t let her use magic let alone talk about Galade Magic.” Von watched as Elspeth’s body changed into a ghost-like-mirage attached to Max. Von clenched him fist and grinded his teeth.

“I know who told her about it and when there finished I’m going to kill him for it.” Scarlet leaned over her seat to see Elspeth freak out about her very much visible breasts she giggled and pulled Von back into his seat.

“Just watch to see how it ends, Von. You never know she may surprise you.” Von slouched in his chair and watched Elspeth fight in the arena. Scarlet blushed as Von’s hands covered hers, he did not do it on purpose just folding his arms, but she still liked it.

۝


Max ran toward the sagi dragon as Bria-day used earth magic to pull one of its paws to the ground. Vines wrapped around it cutting into the beasts flesh, but its crystals healed it moments after every cut.

“Bria-day we’ll take care of it from here. Go help Myith.” Elspeth said as Max grabbed its tail and hung on. While the dragon clawed and ripped at the vines in its paw and fur. Max carefully jumped from scale to scale.

“Where do we need to hit it Max?”

“The crystals are best but anywhere without scales will work.” Elspeth looked around its body.

“So basically we need to get to its head.”

“Yeah, pretty much.” He said jumping off the last scale and onto its fur. The dragon stopped and looked over to see Max in its shoulder. It screeched at them and pulled its paw off the ground. Shaking its body ferociously Max grabbed tight onto its fur and slowly climbed toward its horns.

“How are you going to hurt it if you don’t have a weapon?”

Max couldn’t help but smile at Elspeth’s question. Since he didn’t have one in hand he didn’t blame her for asking.

“I’m going to use an elemental blade made by my father.”

“What’s an elemental blade?”

“You’ll have to wait and see. Missy” He said clenching the dragon’s right horn. The sagi dragon stopped moving long enough for Max to grab a sword hilt from his waist.

“Okay Elspeth I need you to think of the way a blade looks.” Elspeth closed her eyes trying to remember what Von always practiced with. When her eyes opened a sword appeared from the hilt, it curved toward the inside and had a wolf carved along both sides.

“Nice imagination.” He grinned at her, who just smiled timidly.

“I didn’t mean for it to look that way I can try again.”

“No this will be just fine.” Max jumped onto its nose as the dragon thrust its tail crazy over and around its back. Max pulled its fur right above the nostrils. Standing on his feet Max waited for the dragon’s paw to come and scratch its nose. When the dragon raised its paw, Max jumped onto the paw, as the dragon lowered it Max jumped toward to jaw line.

“Now's when you need to use your magic Elspeth.” Elspeth put her hands together

“Kaminari.” She whispered sending lightning from her fingers, through her ‘body’ into Max’s arm and out of the blade, which was gouged in one of the dragon’s crystals. Max fell to the ground and ran for cover.

“NOW!” he yelled to Myith as loud as possible. Myith grabbed Goku and whispered something to him and let him go. Goku yelped at such high frequencies no one heard him except the sagi dragon. The pain and sound made the dragon shake its head and run in circles until it finally ran into the ropes. Miyth, Gale, and Bria-day pulled to hold the ropes until the sagi dragon finally calmed and collapsed from exhaustion.

۝


As the dragon breathed one last heavy breath Myith jumped onto Goku’s griffin back and caught Gale in Goku’s claws. Bria-day walked to Myith as he slid off Goku and made sure Gale was ok.

“I guess that wasn’t too hard.” Bria-day said taking her book back and running her hand across each line. After he placed the hilt on his waist, Max put his hands together. His index and middle fingers stood straight up, while his other fingers intertwined with each other.

“Release.” As he spoke Elspeth became visible and clothed. Her lower body slowly pulled away from Max’s back. She stumbled at first, grasping the strong arms that held her shoulders.

“Well done, for your first magic trick.” Max said trying to make Elspeth smile, and it worked. Miyth, Gale and Bria-day came running toward them, reaching them right before the crowd applauded, whistled, and hollered to them. Max let Elspeth’s shoulders go and took his jacket from Gale, who still looked terrified.

“Hey, don’t look so down. You passed didn’t you.” Max said to him patting him on the shoulder. Gale thought about it for a moment until Myith jumped on him from behind. Laughing and waving Myith seemed the most excited. The top of the iron cage opened as three griffins with riders flew in and landed in front of all five of them. The largest griffin stood upfront and was taller than an average full grown man. All three of them had golden feathers and lion paws and tails. Their heads were that of eagles, the most common type of a griffin. The front griffin’s rider climbed down, like a rider on a horse, and grabbed a scroll from the saddle bag. He wore a teal green armor with the Kazen symbol; three stars diagonally separated a butterfly wing from swirls and curls, on the chest plate.

“As the Kaze knights co-captain me, Sir Dalis, hereby congratulate your team on their victory. As request of their majesties you and your families are invited to enjoy this evening’s festivities. What is the answer of all members?” Elspeth started to answer until Max stepped forward and looked Sir Dalis in the eyes.

“We will attend with honor to meet their royalty.” Sir Dalis glared at Max until the griffin’s made noises in agitation. Sir Dalis remounted his griffin and pulled up on the reins. The griffin’s wings stretched completely out and flapped slowly until their back paws were off the air. Winds wrapped around the arena as they raised the front claws curled in and within moments the only trace of their presence was the dust still settling down.

Her eyes wondering across the open arena court room. Looking, almost seeking for someone or something. As her eyes settled on one place, Max followed her line of sight, grinding his teeth as he set sights on Von.

“There’s no way the two of them are related. They don’t look alike at all.” Max grumbled under his breath as Kedna’s front paws appeared out of the wall’s shadow, followed by the rest of the wolves body.

“Perhaps there, what’s that word humans use all the time?” Kedna paused as he sat next to Max’s left leg. For a wolf he was fairly tall, his head reached Max’s waist at a sitting stance, at a height of 4” 2’.

“Ah! I remembered, maybe there dat…” Kedna could not finish before Max shoved his head down.

“Shut up dog!” with Max’s statement Kedna snapped.

“Watch your mouth boy! I’m a wolf and you know it.” Kedna snarled at Max; leaning against the wall, Max folded his arms against his chest, and continued watching Elspeth.

“What did you find out anyway?”

“What makes you think I found something?”

“Because you hate humans, that’s why. Know what did you find out?” Kedna’s lips curled as best he could, almost a wicked smile, knowing Max was right.

“The demons are hiding. Which means there moving?” Max’s head snapped toward Kedna’s very serious, very stern face. Kedna sighed heavily.

“Calm down Max HE won’t show up unless they can’t do the job. You know that.” He said turning his snout up toward Max. Max clenched his fists aggressively.

“Tell me what you know about the guy over there.”

“The guy over there?” Kedna sarcastically grunted at Max. Max smacked the back of Kedna’s head.

“The one talking to Elspeth. MORON!” he replied through his teeth. Kedna nodded and spoke as he eyed his ’pray’.

“Von, number one swordsman on the schools records-since you were sick the day they tested student’s skill level.” Kedna started with a glance up. Max simply grunted his companion’s obvious rude remark toured him.

“He is Elspeth’s brother- not by blood as you are already aware, you also know how she came to be in the family, correct.” A node from Max’s head suited as an answer for the wolf.

“He has a reputation of dating any girl that asks him out, I have heard that he’s dated the entire school-girls only of course. I have a suspension that he and the red head can use magic together, like you and that girl used during your fight earlier.” Kedna growled.

“Saw that did you.” Max grinning at the satisfactory of making his companion angry once more.

“Yes and it’s not amusing, she can barely fight and she is not the best at magic either. Why the hell did you pick her, and don’t you dare say it’s because it was convenient for you.” Max stepped away from the railing and started walking toured Elspeth.

“I picked her because she was close by.” Kedna yowled at Max with frustration over him. ‘She’ll be the death of you, idiot.’ Kedna thought disappearing into the shadows once again.

Her laugh echoed through his ears, rubbing his chest he stopped a step away from Elspeth’s back.

“I need to talk to you.” He whispered as nice and calmly as he could while glaring at Von. Something about him set Max on edge. Elspeth spun around, almost bumping into Max.

“What do you want?” Von said pushing Max’s shoulder and stepping between them, glaring back at him.

“Like I said I need to talk to Elspeth.” Von arched an eyebrow. “Alone.” Max said slowly. Just as Von clinched his fists Scarlet placed her hand on his forearm.

۝


Bria-day slowly watched as a shadow turned into a dog, no a wolf. That means it was a demon. ‘Why is it with Max, I wonder is that the piece I have yet to figure out?’ Myith looked from Bria-day to Max and back.

“What is it Bria-day?” She closed her book and handed it to Myith.

“I need a moment alone.” Myith’s facial expression got worse by the minute. Bria-day sighed and rephrased.

“I NEED a moment to do that thing I do with Goku.” Myith’s eyes widened as she finished. He handed Goku over to her.

“Why do you have to do this now? Who changed the book enough to have you use that spell?” Bria-day simply walked away from Myith and the other examinees and guests. She walked to the hedge maze in the garden and took Goku into the main area of the maze. She placed him on the ground in front of her.


The concrete had the royal family’s crest placed in it. Blue roses grew around the circular crest. A wolf statue stood in the center-it was carved to look like it was running to the left, its tail turned into ivory colored wind, as well as its chest. The statue had always been there and very few still knew its purpose of being there. One of which was Bria-day.

“Alright Goku I need your ability.” Bria-day placed her hand on Goku’s forehead. He rubbed his nose and the side of his lips on her index finger. His ears feel back as he purred.

“I summon the god of time and goddess of space, give me the ability to change what may acquire” As she spoke Goku’s fur and scales glowed, changing him into a small foxtail pup. “Allow me to change the threads of fate and weave my own design from small moments which you may allow me to see.” When she finished her eyes turned a copper color and images flashed on Goku’s fur and into Bria-day’s mind. Bria-day closed and re-opened her eyes, returning to the present.

“Thank you Goku.” She said lifting the passed out creature into her arms and running back to the arena.


Myith spotted Bria-day rushing back to him. As she reached him she handed him Goku.

“Where’s Scarlet?”

“What happened to Goku?”

“Where is Scarlet Myith?” She repeated grasping his shoulders. Myith pointed toward Von and Elspeth, sure enough Scarlet was there. Bria-day kissed Myith’s forehead, thanked him and ran off again.

“Scarlet.” Bria-day said from a small distance. Scarlet looked up but ignored her after a moment. When Bria-day reached them she pulled Scarlet by the forearm.

“Hey!” Scarlet said yanking her arm out of Bria-day’s arm. “What is it Bria-day?”

“You need to keep Von away from Elspeth.”

“What are you babbling about?”

“I have SEEN something that has yet to happen do not ask why or when. What I do know is that Elspeth needs to talk with our new friend over there.”

“You mean Max.” Scarlet asked clarifying, answered with a nod from Bria-day’s head. Scarlet sighed and turn her head back to Von.

“I’ll do my best.” She said patting Bria-day on the shoulder.

“O and Scarlet.” Bria-day said grabbing one more minute of her attention. “I am truly sorry.” Scarlet’s brows crunched in confusion as Bria-day walked back towards Myith.

۝


Torches lit the walkway as the sound of shoe tips echoed into the ears of two Minotaur, each standing on one side of the dark oak door blocking it with two iron clad axes. As a women came into view the two Minotaurs straightened their stance and bowed slightly at her, not some much for royalty but more for respect. The axe in each of their hands made an X in front of the door.

“My Lady. We didn’t know you were on your way.” The one on the left said looking slightly up to her face, keeping his head down as he bowed. She had a scar on her left check and dark mauve colored eyes. Only when bowing did the Minotaur race have to look up at her.

“Yeah well I can go anywhere I please. Remove you weapons from the door.” The Minotaurs exchanged looks before they did as the women requested. She pushed the doors open and walked into the lighter part of the round room. Moonlight glistened from her shoulder armor; the only thing she was wearing was a red and black tailcoat corset and a black rose skirt that was shorter than her knees, as she walked across the room and up the steps.

“How are you doing? Does it still hurt?” The women asked as she lend across a gold trimmed chair with black fabric.

“His he still alive, can you see where he is.” A man from the chair spoke in a deep solid voice. The women knelt on one knee and lowered her head, pulling all her long black hair to her left shoulder.

“Her majesty, I know where he is however.”

“No buts Iku, I want him here now!” The man stood from the chair and grabbed Iku’s hair and pulled her to the floor. “Bring him to me! You know I need him to be here.”

“Majik, I will be sending a spy to bring you your request.” A man spoke up from the shadows. Majik lifted his head up and released Iku’s hair. Iku glared at the man, as though he had done something wrong.

“Good. Iku ride Garth’s spy and make sure it does its job. Soon I will be out of this powerless body and in one that has the strength to hold me.” Iku rose from her place, bowing in respect with Garth before leaving the room. As the two walked farther away the Minotaurs returned to their original positions.

“I had everything under control! You shouldn’t have interfered, Garth!” Iku shouted toured him as they went down a corridor.

“He had you to the floor; if you weren’t soft for Majik you could have avoided all of this.” Garth protested. Iku’s right hand lit up purple and gold for a moment, then she had Garth pined to one of the solid brick columns with a four foot long staff. The staff had a sphere of moving energy in the center of one end, which resembled an hourglass. The circle was surrounded by a gold colored metal in the shape of a diamond. Two crescent moons, that never touched, surrounded the metal. The staff’s three foot long rod went straight through each shape and twisted into a point at the top.

“Don’t start with that again. You want to stop Majik go ahead and try it, I don’t think you’ll get too far past me.” Iku warned with the look of death shimmering from her eyes. Garth sighed and put his right hand to his throat, a vow of respect in every elemental realm. Iku released her grip, allowing Garth air. She placed the staff vertically in front of her chest, placed each hand on one side and whispered “Ton”. A moment passed and all was the way it had been but moments before. As though nothing had happened.


The two of them exited the building into a large open forum. All the plants had died and withered, except the center which had one bush of roses surrounding an empty fountain. Garth removed his leather jacket with shoulder spikes and his navy blue T-shirt and laid them on an old stone bench. Garth’s entire chest and arms were completely covered in tattoos. The dim light that shimmered through the storm clouds lit up Garth’s face to show tattoos from his chest ran up his neck. His face was inked to look like a hawk’s face. No tattoo repeated and each one was an animal. Garth placed one hand on a tattoo, which resembled a dragon, and spoke clearly.

“Tsuki I, Garth last heir of the dark elf clan, call you to do my bidding and give my body the power of shadows and demons. Give me the strength I was born with but will not use.” As Garth spoke he slowly pulled his hand off the tattoo. The tattoo ink lifted off of Garth’s skin and slowly came to life. Standing nine feet tall with black scales lined on its back and throat and crimson scales covering its underbelly the dragon looked like a volcanic death with eyes that lit up like fire from the pits of hell. Iku re-casted her staff, slammed the bottom into the hard concrete, making her jump high above the lying beast, and landed standing upon the beast’s back.

“When your heart is okay with you moving normally meet me at the bridge.” With a wave of her hand the beast lifted its wings and flew out of the courtyard and over the castle’s walls.
Scarlet crossed the floor to where Von and Max stood. Von clenched his fists as he went to punch Max, for being Max, a warm hand stopped his own from going any farther. His eyes glimpsed to the left, which made him blush more than a guy of his stature usually would. Scarlet was wearing a deep crimson dress, body tight and extremely short.

“Let’s all play nice children. I’m sure the royal family doesn’t want blood all over their backyard.” She glanced up at Von, who did not seem happy in the least. Von lowered his arm slightly, and whispered in Max’s ear.

“Touch her and you’ll regret you met her.” As he realist his grip Max grabbed Von’s dress shirt collar, his sapphire eyes narrowed as he glared at Von.

“Careful, you might regret you ever threatened me.” A small grin reached Max’s lips as he realist his hand from Von’s shirt. Elspeth glanced nervously between the two guys. As she went to ask Max what he needed to say a man spoke over everyone’s conversations.

“Thank you all for coming to the royal family’s place garden. There is one last item of entertainment for this evening.” The man took a parchment from the prince’s hand. “Will the following people stand in the center of the floor please?” He cleared his throat as attendees cleared the family’s crest- that was imprinted on the cobblestone floor.

“Von Loki and Scarlet Hian. Bria-day Kazen and Myith Roiyaruhi. Jak Chik and Jak Chik. Max Yaragado and Elspeth Loki. Zane Kazen and Ire Zumi. Please stand next to the person your name was called with.” Everyone paired up. Elspeth watched Max who was eyeing Ire, someone Elspeth did not remember from the school, she might have been royalty but her last name was wrong.

“Now that you are all sorted his majesty has a few rules for this tournament.” The speaker bowed at the man standing.

He was tall and a little pudgy, he had strong looking arms. He was wearing the traditional knight’s uniform, a pale green cape held in place with two shoulder guards. His chest plate had the kingdoms wolf insignia carved into it. He was wearing heavy, fire-proof boots and normal pants. As he rose his arm to silence the crowd chain-mail showed under his tunic.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the ten of you showed great passion and/or skill. However your battle is not over, only one of the ten of you may receive the title Knight of Kaze or Caster of Kaze. Now you must work in teams in order to complete the first eight fights. If you are too injured to continue or your magic does not work anymore, a medical sage will remove you from the field. One other thing. During this battle my son, Zane, and my daughter, Bria-day, are not part of the royal blood line. With that you may fight your heart out with anyone you like.” He nodded to his wife. She stood and whispered a spell; her hand moved toured the family crest. The floor started shifting, seconds later the floor dropped one-hundred feet. She then struck her hand horizontal and placed a pale green summoning circle across the drop.

“You will not be able to summon creatures during the fight unless you can break her majesty’s Spyrionial circle. So without further ado. Let the real tournament of Kaze begin.” The king finished with his hands in the air and the audience applauding.




























The wind rustled through the trees and across Scarlet’s face. She slowly opened her eyes to see a massive jungle around her. As she began to move she felt something touching her chest. ‘I swear if it’s one of those perverts I’ll kill them’ she though angrily as she turned and looked behind her. Von laid still unconscious and holding Scarlet in a very lewd way. Scarlet smiled softly and whispered “Idiot.”

“You know your heavy right.” Von said with a smirk on his face. Scarlet’s face looked like it was going to fly right off her shoulders before she slammed Von’s face into the large oak tree behind them. She stood and started walking east.

“What the hell was that for anyway?!” Von yelled rubbing the back of his head. Scarlet turned her head with her fingers intertwined behind her back and looked at him, “Nothing.” Von slowly lowered his hand into his lap, as though he had lost a bet, as he watched Scarlet turned her head around the sunlight caught her eyes with its glare. A crimson glisten sparkled right before her hair covered the side of her face. Von half smiled, “That’s what I wake up for”

“Hurry up or we won’t find a stone.” As she walked father ahead Von stood and ran to catch up.

“You still didn’t have to throw my head against a tree.” “Yeah well you deserved it.” Scarlet replied turning a pale rose color in remembrance of Von’s sleeping face.

“Why?” Von asked confused looking at Scarlet’s ‘ignoring you moron’ face, “Come on; at least tell me what I did this time.”

“Why does it matter anyway?” “Cause I…” Von looked to the left as he finished the rest. “I wanted to apologize if I hurt you on our way down.” Scarlet stopped in her tracks and both her hands shaking. “Von you didn’t do anything at all.” “You sure?” Scarlet nodded as she picked up the pace.

"We should hurry or we won't get a stone, and I'm sure you want to graduate right." A sign of sarcasm was rolled into the last bit of Scarlet's speech.

Elspeth started moving her legs to try and find her footing. When her toes stretched all the way out she realized she was not near the ground. She was being held by her arm and dangling from a huge redwood tree. Elspeth looked up to see Zak and Jak holding her with everything they had.

"What are you two doing? Let go or we'll all fall."

"No way." Jak squeaked out. “Yeah and besides Von would kill us if we let you get hurt without trying to help.” Zak said with short breaths. ‘That stupid brother of mine is going to get more people killed then saved.’ “Ok I understand let go I’ll be fine. I promise!”

“Yeah but…” Jak started. “Its fine Jak I have never broken a promise, and I don’t plan to start now.” Jak looked like he was about to cry.

“Fine but if you get even a scratch I get to beat Von up later.” At that moment Elspeth was thinking of getting hurt on purpose just to see Von get beat up by Jak.




Though the twins were short for their age they both knew what stealth was and the meaning of swift like a leaf.

Zak and Jak released their grip from Elspeth’s arm, and as soon as they did they began descending the tree as quickly as possible.

۝




“Your majesty one of the contestants has been eliminated.”

“Was it Zane?” the king asked in a husky voice.

“No my lord.” “Very good” “Are you not worried it is Bria-day.” The messenger asked as he was leaving.

“Of course not. She is one of the only seven that I find capable of finishing this test.

۝

All though she knew she had fallen at least 70 feet she didn’t hurt, anywhere.

“I don’t particularly dislike the fact that you’re in my lap, but having this much weight on my groin is not as pleasurable.” Elspeth heard a deep voice, familiar in a way but she couldn’t make out who it belonged to. As her eyes meet two sapphire shaded eyes, she realized who it was. Max!

“Sorry!” she spat out quickly and scrambled to her feet. Max stood and brushed the back of his jeans and fixed his shirt. “You aren’t injured are you?” as soon as the words escaped her lips, such soft looking lips that Max wouldn’t have minded moving them himself, she realized of course it hurt.

“Not really. I’ve had worse, trust me, besides if the worse part of my day is you landing on my groin I’ll live till tomorrow.” He grinned with his comment.

۝




It was always dark, since Garth could remember that is, and the sun was hidden well be the kingdom’s walls of stone. He gazed at the bloody colored eclipse and sat in the silence. His aches had long since past but keeping his distance from Iku without making anyone think he was up to anything. His loyalty didn’t lie with the Hikarin realms but not doing as he was told would cost him more than his life. Garth stood with his left hand touching his right shoulder blade. “Tsuki I, Garth last heir of the dark elf clan, call you to do my bidding and give my body the power of shadows and demons. Give me the strength I was born with but will not use.” He said yet again, however this time a phoenix stretched its wings out of Garth’s body and sanding seven feet tall. Garth petted the massive bird and placed his head on its beak. “To Inazuma Island.” As he spoke the bird turned his back to Garth and awaited his rider. Once Garth was settled upon the fiery bird its feathers turned to bright red flames and its tail turn blue, flying faster than the dragon previously. Garth leaned with the bird at every turn, as one being, and never burned from the phoenix’s flames. I seen he would be seen as a shooting star about to crash.
Although they jumped as fast as they could and even fell part of the way down the twins knew they wouldn't beat Elspeth down. Their stomachs sank as they heard the sound of Elspeth hitting the ground and started moving faster toward the forest floor. Jak moved down from the left and Zak from the right, in such perfect unison that they both touched the ground together.

“Elspeth! Are you okay?” Jak asked running toward her. Elspeth’s face flushed as she jumped to her feet and straightened her uniform. “Um.” She replied glancing around as to hide something.

“We won’t tell Von that this guy had you saddle style to brake your fall.” Zak spoke up with a snicker and Jak's laugh not far behind. Elspeth smacked both of them across the backs of their heads with her palm.

“Let them assume whatever they want. We probably did far worse.” Max slipped in as he rose to his feet, taller than anyone present Elspeth was aware but the twins looked up at him as though he was a giant about to smash their ant sized house. “Don’t encourage them Max!”

“What aren’t we encouraging?” Scarlet’s sharp voice was heard before they were seen. “Those two.” Elspeth said pointing to the twins as Von and Scarlet emerged from a thicker portion of the forest. “Yeah please don’t encourage them; there a pain to begin with and no one wants more issues.” “Speaking of issues.” Jak spoke up with Zak finishing. “When did you to get so friendly?” Von and Scarlet looked confused until Elspeth pointed at her hand trying not to bring up the topic any more than it had to be. At first Von tightened his grip on Scarlet’s hand but shortly let go as if she carried the plague. “Von.” Scarlet said in a rough voice with her eyes closed and irritation showing on her brow line and Von trying to laugh it off as a sort of bad joke. “Go bald!” she yelled hitting him with her fist and magic, sending Von flying about six feet and him landing with his butt in the air. “Why is it always me?” Von asked himself out loud. Scarlet turned around and folded her arms under her chest, making them visible more than before. Jak and Zak sneakered but soon broke out into a full laugh. Von stood up and leaned over them cracking his knuckles. “You two think this is funny do you.” He said with an evil smile on his face and the twins faces turned from laughter to terror in a flash. Von started hitting them, gently, with his fists on their heads. “How about now, still think it’s funny do ya?” “No! Quit it.” Jak said trying to block his head. “We’re sorry we won’t do it again.” Zak said “I don’t believe that for an instant.” Von replied picking Zak up and spinning him from his ankles.

“I don’t know how they can be so laid back.” Max said as he walked away from the group.

“Wait, we should stay in a larger group!” Elspeth yelled to be heard over the loud racket. Von stopped as he heard Elspeth’s voice and the twins stared at her. Max turned his head to reply until a girl they didn’t know came running out of an area and into Max.

“I’m so sorry, hiccup… it’s just there was this hiccup…black monster and my comrades where, where. They all died!” she spat out clenching Max’s shirt and crying. Her hair was a dark blue and very long, similar to Scarlet’s. She was small and looked fragile. Elspeth glared at her, she wasn’t sure why but she didn’t like the girl. She started walking toward the two when she noticed something on the ground. ‘A letter?’ she thought as she pick it up and opened it.

Please excuse this late letter of introduction, by now you have probably met up with your comrades or people you do not know. The color on your uniforms will tell you and other candidates what type of magic you use. The boys in the tournament only have the Kingdoms colors so you will need to find out what weapon works best for them. You have one objective; obtain an elemental scroll. These scrolls are colored and each has a guardian.

Although you may think this is a simple one against many type of deal but there are many other creatures wandering around in the forest? As a form

of introduction I would like to welcome you all to Myth Island.

Elspeth’s eyes widened as she finished reading and dropping the paper. The thudding on the land got faster. “Run.” She whispered. “What?” Scarlet asked looking at her. “Run!” she yelled grabbing the paper and clenching her hands into fists. “Why?” Von asked trying to settle the girl back down. “This island is Myth Island which means it can inhabit any creature from the Kori tundra’s to the Hia lava shafts. Which is also why only seven people get to become knights and mages every sixteen years? Everyone else is pulled out due to injuries.” “That’s ridiculous. The school wouldn’t send in kids to a place like that.” Von said as a Leviathan’s head suck out of the brush behind him. “There’s something behind me isn’t there.” Von said looking disappointed and picking up the girl. “I guess its times like these we run for it!” he said suddenly running past the tree Elspeth had previously fallen out of. The Leviathan followed him, without any legs the massive beast used its silent wings to hover over the land and swing its thirty pound tail left and right, trying to hit its pray. “You know I think that’s a Leviathan. And if I’m right it doesn’t remove its eyes from its pray until dead or it’s caught it’s pray.” Max said running just behind Elspeth.

“Its karma if you ask me.” Scarlet said her eyes staring at Von like two daggers. “O shut up.” “It’s probably after the girl!” Myith hollered from above causing them all to glance up. Myith was sitting on Goku’s head that was a huge 170 pound griffin. “Sagaru to, sorera no subete o eruga, chūi shite kudasai” Myith whispered into Goku’s ear. Goku growled and flew down to the same level as the Leviathan. His claws opened and he screeched next to the dragons head. The dragon slowed down and shook its head; Goku grabbed Von’s shoulders and rose up quickly. Goku got about 20 feet into the air and threw Von up, the girl screaming the entire time. Von positioned himself in a seated position and a moment later landed on Goku’s back. “Yoku daun no hokanohito o shutoku shi, koko kara demashou” Myith said to Goku. “I was wondering for a while but what language do you talk to him in Myith.” Von asked holding the terrified girl against his chest. “It’s the ancient language of the elves. Bria-day taught it to me.” Goku repeated the same maneuver twice, once with Scarlet and once with Elspeth. “Thanks for that Myith.” Scarlet said standing on Goku’s hind legs. “Can I use magic while on him?” “Technically yes, but he sometimes freaks out around magic so are best bet would be to wait.” Scarlet looked more annoyed then unsatisfied and glared at the girl who was STILL holding Von. ‘I’ll burn her when she’s save once again’ the thought seemed to settle her anger.

“Myith after you get the twins grab Max.” Myith looked at Von from Elspeth’s request. “Don’t double check with him! Max helped me and you get through the first round we owe him. No go get him!” Elspeth snapped as she stood between Von and Myith. Myith gulped and nodded as Goku lowered once more.

“O Leviatã saiba que o uivo agora entón só tes que ir despois de Zak e Jak” Myith said. “entón necesitamos incorporarse Max para Elspeth” Goku cawed and flew faster and hit the Leviathan’s face and grapping Jak with his left claw and Zak with his right. The twins held onto Goku’s claws. “Hey Elspeth I don’t think we have room for anyone else.” “We are NOT leaving him.” Elspeth said grabbing Myith by the shirt collar. “Hey I don’t think we have to worry about him.” Scarlet said leaning over Goku’s side. Elspeth leaned over to see Max ridding Kedna about 30 yards ahead of the Leviathan. Elspeth smiled and released her grip on Myith. “Sorry Myith.” She said putting her hands together and lowering her head at him. “It’s fine, as long as everyone is okay.” Myith said, more afraid then happy, and returning to Goku’s head. “You to okay?” he asked Jak and Zak. “Better than before.” “But we’ve had better days!” they replied as Goku flew above the tree line.

۝

Max watched the gryphon rise once more but this time it wasn’t falling back. ‘So glad I’m important.’ He thought as he place his fist over his chest and whispered “Beast of my soul, creature of the night that protects me, I summon you to heed my call. Kedna come!” the last part he spoke out and removed his hand as his shadow twisted below him. From it a snout appeared followed by Kedna’s mussel and head. “Need some assistants?” Kedna barked placing his front paws on the ground and pulling his hindquarters out of Max’s shadow into a full on run. “You know when I said we should run in the mornings; this is not what I had in mind!” He snarled as Max grabbed the fur between Kedna’s elbow and shoulder, allowing himself to get on top of Kedna’s back. “You can sue me later for the damages.” Max replied lying as flat as possible to allow Kedna to run as fast as he could. “Well in any case could you tell me why there is a leviathan behind us?” Kedna grunted as he weaved through the trees and trying to avoid the dragon’s razor-like wings and sharp fangs. “One of the other candidates was followed by it.” Max answered rummaging through his small pack. “Male or female?” “What?” Max asked with confusion in his voice. “The candidate was it a boy or a girl.” Kedna restated. “It was a girl, why?” “If she was from a different country then it’s possible for her to have summoned the leviathan.” “Why would she do that? It doesn’t make since.” Max paused in the middle of his thought. “She’s from a different country.”

“Probably. That would be the logical thing-get you separated and let your pet do the rest. It’s actually pretty smart thinking. By having her look helpless you all lowered your guard-didn’t you?” Kedna explained with sarcasm drawing out as he finished. Max glared at his companion as he pulled a knife out of the small bag.

“It doesn’t matter how she did it, we need to focus on not dying.” Max said looking back and slightly sitting up.

“Wow you’re so smart; did you come up with that idea all on your own?” Kedna barked back dodging the dragon’s snout once more. As Kedna weaved through the trees and dodged the persistent dragon he noticed a light in the sky above him for a single second. “What is it?” as Max asked Kedna stopped and through Max off his back. Max hit the ground; his arms guarded his head, not completely aware of Kedna’s actions. “What the hell bastard! If you wanted to fight we can do it later.” Max said while sitting Indian style and rubbing his head. Max looked up to see Kedna down with a dagger in his left hind leg. As Max ran to guard Kedna he remembered he didn’t have a weapon. Max stood between the dragon and Kedna. “You’re an idiot what you going to do talk it to death.” Kedna snapped as the dragon flapped its 40 foot wing span and pulled its head back in an offensive stance. Mac raised his arms in defenses, but as he did the dragon’s face was lit up with flames. “Since when can you use fire magic?!” Kedna questioned standing with his injured leg lifted off the ground. Max shook his head in a reply and watched as Scarlet quickly, yet gracefully, landed between Max and the dragon’s jaws.




Both of Scarlet’s arms were engulfed by red flames, the fire moved with Scarlet as she moved her hands in front of her to keep the fire around the dragon’s face. “Are you two okay?” she asked trying to keep her concentration. “We’ll live.” Kedna winced backing away from the dragon. Scarlet moved her hands in circles slowly while moving them horizontally a crossed each other. Each time the dragon went to strike with its head Scarlet slid her forearms together and another layer of fire lit the dragon’s face. She continued this until the Leviathan retracted its wings and lowered its head into a submissive stance. Scarlet lowered her guard as she saw Von land on the ground with Bria-day’s help. “Glad you could make it.” Scarlet said waiting for Goku to land next to Bria-day before approaching them.”Somebody has to keep you out of trouble.” Von smirked while helping the twins down, who now sat on Goku’s back. Goku rose of the ground and began to hover.


“I’ll go look for Bria-day! Try and take care of the Leviathan while we’re gone.” Myith yelled as loud as he could so the others would hear over the creature’s yells and Goku’s wings. Von waved his hand slightly, while running toward Scarlet, to signal he heard.

“Where’s that girl you guys had?” Max asked Elspeth as Von stopped behind her.

“What’s it to you?”

“She’s the one who summoned the Leviathan so it will be faster if we knock her out instead of fighting that thing.” Kedna snapped back at Von.

“She’s with Myith, we left her on Goku. Guess you’ll have to fight it.” Von said glaring at Max.

“Don’t worry.” Kedna said with a half grin. “I’ll catch up to them quickly. I’ll be off then.” Kedna said run at a half dash through the forest toward Myith’s direction. Max watched his companion leave. ‘Be careful Kedna.’ A screech interrupted Max’s thoughts.
Von grumbled to himself as Kedna dashed off and Scarlet snickered about his lose in the conversation. As Von turned to look at Scarlet’s smiling face, god he loved her smile, her hair flowed perfectly and the loose flesh on her strong checks always looked cute when she smiled. He noticed she had lowered her hands for the moment. That’s when it hit him; the only thing keeping her save from that beast was the fire magic she had been using with her hands. ‘S***!’ his mind became clouded with that one thought. He sprinted towards her as the great leviathan screeched and its wings went toward Scarlet in diagonal slashes.


Elspeth, Zak and Jak all froze where they stood. Blood dripped from the leviathan‘s wings, Scarlet’s legs shook from shock. In front of her Von stood with his arms stretched out and torso guarding her. The twins ran to Von’s side and attacked the leviathan‘s wings with their acquired daggers. Elspeth ran to catch Von from falling.
“Von!” Scarlet screamed, not a girl scream but her vocals where high enough Von looked at her strangely. “Just don’t move. The school will send medics, just hang on ok.” Each of them took a shoulder and arm as they dragged him away from the twin’s fight.

“He won’t make it without some kind of bandage.” Max cut in as Von was laid down at the edge of the forest, against the base of another large tree.

“Don’t say that. You don’t know how strong he is.” Scarlet said her face flustered and her hands trembling with blood on them. Max watched as Scarlet turned to cry and wipe her hands off.

“A Leviathan’s wings have a poison on them that can cause the same reaction as poison only slower. If he isn’t treated in time he make never walk again, let alone move.” Scarlet starred as Von began to sweat and grunt his teeth from the pain. Elspeth pulled a bottle of water and a piece of cloth from one of the bags and dampened it.

“Try and clean him up as much as you can.” She instructed Scarlet. She ripped Von’s shirt; exposing the large wound. “I’m going to try something I have been practicing on animals so it may not work on humans the same.” Elspeth said as she rolled her sleeves and placed her hands above the injury.





















۝


Jak ran around to grab the dragon’s attention and allowed Zak time to go around the beast.

“All good here!” Zak yelled to Jak. “Don’t forget to hit the mark and we’ll be fine.” Jak replied sprinting into a roll and pausing behind a bolder. Zak placed the dagger into his mouth and started climbing the leviathan‘s back scales. He used the lightest pressure possible on each scale. Zak waited until he was at the dragon’s neck to sit down and place pressure on the beast. Zak held the dagger into the air; the reflecting caught Jak’s attention. The leviathan began turning its head around to check its back. Jak hollered and yelled to distract the beast, which worked the leviathan followed Jak’s movements closely. Zak stood on the leviathan’s back and walked across its neck until he could straddle it with ease. Zak used his dagger to work a scale off the leviathan‘s neck. As the scale came off it feel, around 15 pounds in weight hit the ground in front of Jak’s feet.

“Hey! I said not to kill me.” Jak complained dodging the scale and trying not to get eaten at the same time. Zak smiled and waved his hand to apologize. The leviathan’s head turned its attention toward Zak.

“Down here you over grown lizard!” Jak yelled trying to regain the beast’s attention. “Che” Jak’s disappointing noise caused the leviathan to turn its eyes down at him. Zak saw the opening and took it. Zak climbed up the beast’s neck and jumped onto its long snout. The leviathan shook its head trying to shake Zak off, as Zak flew left and right and back again, Jak aimed his dagger at the beast’s snout. The dagger flew throw the air and landed on Zak’s pouch. Zak, still being tossed around, pulled the dagger out and shoved it between the leviathan’s diamond colored eyes. The moans and howls of the great beast masked the voices and sounds within the forest. Its neck fell to the ground, causing Jak to scurry, and its wings flattened a large amount of trees.


Zak jumped of the snout and ran to Jak. “Sorry about the scale, leviathans are hard to find but their hid is the second strongest material in Valhalla.” “Don’t worry about it. Just make me cool armor with it and we’ll call it even. Okay” Jak said to his twin with disturbing smile across his face. “You knew I was going to drop one didn’t you!” Zak yelled in frustration.

“Hey!” Myith’s voice called out from above. “Looks like you guys didn’t need our help.” He laughed as Goku, still in the form of a white griffin, settled his paws and claws on the ground.

“yeah well we are…” “the best double blade wielders in the kingdom.”

“I believe you mean you’re the only double blade wielders in Kaze kingdom.” Bria-day replied as the twin’s faces turned sour. “Yeah yeah; it still makes us the best.” Jak mumbled. “Yeah so there- miss know it all!” Zak blurted out as Jak held him back.

“Calm down you to. We need to get Von to a doctor and quickly.” Elspeth said from Von’s side.

“Yeah but what about the scrolls and the test? I mean we aren’t permitted outside the city without either a knight’s badge or a mage’s cloak.” With Myith’s realization everyone’s face became puzzled. ‘We can’t leave Von here to die but he wants to be a knight more than anything. Isn’t there another way?’ Elspeth thought, along with the others until Max broke the silence.

“If all you need is a scroll to pass the test Kedna went to get them.”
“All of them!?” the twins faces lifted with their questioning statement. Max nodded and watched the ground as if at any moment a monster would come out and kill everyone. “Who?” Myith asked. Max didn’t answer, which caused Bria-day to speak up.
“Kedna, he isn’t simply a pet for companionship. I assume from all the information I know that he is what they call am Ookami Demon.” Myith looked frozen and Elspeth looked up from Von’s aching moans. “However because Kedna does not have a chain around any part of his body this is not plausible. If he had wings I would even be okay with assuming he was a Hypaolf, but once again it doesn’t add up. So the only option left is to say Kedna is a d…”

“That’s enough.” Max said glaring at Bria-day who didn’t seem to be phased by it. As the tension grew, Kedna appeared out of the forest with missing fur, wet spots and scratches all over.

“What’s with all of you? Never mind I could care less. These are what you wanted me to get right?” Kedna asked with reassurance in his voice and dropping six scrolls in front of Max’s feet.
“Yeah, thanks.” Kedna half grunted, half snorted as a reply. “With these we can leave right?” Max said looking at Elspeth.
“Yeah but there are eight of us and only six scrolls.” “Seven.” Bria-day corrected Elspeth. “Zak and Jak killed a monster that gives us seven.” “Yes but we’re still short one.”

“Don’t worry about it, besides your brothers going to die if he goes without treatment any longer.” Elspeth quit arguing and lit a flare to signal they were finished with the test.


“We need a medical unit over here!” the teachers and parents watched as Von was carried through the corridor and to the hospital. The soldiers cleared a passage way for the men carrying Von. “Alright settle down everyone. It’s just a small causality.” One of the higher ranking officers yelled to calm the hyped up crowd. Elspeth and Bria-day held Scarlet, not to help ease her pain but to ensure no one would get hurt by her. Scarlet watched as Von was taken from her arms into the hospital and into the emergency care section.

“Von Kyodai!” A woman called out in the waiting room. “That’s our son.” Yoko and Hed said simultaneously while standing. “I have good news and not such good news. Which is first?” “Good, please.” Hed said squeezing Yoko’s shoulder for comfort. “Your son will live without any issues or needing his organs removed or changed- lucky if you ask me.” The lady paused “He is however undergoing extreme pain from the surgery and for his safety we used elfish water. This causes his body to temporarily shut down and heal faster. The only side affect is he won’t be conscious for a little over a month.” “A month!” Scarlet snapped causing the doctor to step back with a startled expression in her eyes. “You are welcome to visit him anytime the hospital it open, however this is the fastest and safest way for him to recover.” The woman bowed her head and walked past them to another patient’s room.

“I think Von should be looked after every day. He is stronger than most, so he may wake-up earlier. I have to work and you have work as well.” Yoko said to her husband. “Scarlet would you mind looking after him each day. It would be a great help.” Scarlet’s eyes watered as she turned to see Mrs. Kyodai, Yoko, smiling.
“It would be a pleasure.” Scarlet walked toward Von’s room.

“I’ll catch up with you, I have to do something first though.” Elspeth said running away from Yoko and Hed.

“Now what’s that all about?” Hed asked as his wife pulled him after Scarlet. “Never you mind that dear, Von’s been badly injured. We should see to him.”





















۝


Elspeth quickly walked down the corridor until see saw what see was looking for.

“Max! Wait.” She ran down the hall to were Max stood. His hands where in his pockets and his hair was still the messy copper color as before. He looked down at her with a confused yet satisfied look.

“Can I help you?” He replied in a standard tone. ‘Well isn’t he being nice!’ Elspeth thought ‘No, now is not the time to be you.’

“Have would like to ask you something.” Max’s expression didn’t change. “And.” ‘How rude, here I am being polite and he doesn’t even know how to keep from being rude. Control yourself Elspeth.’ “I wanted to know if you could teach me.”

“Teach you what?” ‘Well now he’s acting just plain stupid.’ “To fight of course.” Max folded his arms across his chest, as if she was asking him to kill someone. “Why?” Elspeth curled her fists and turned red from embarrassment. “I tried asking nicely and I even tried to make it a normal conversation but no. You can help but be rude and act like an idiot; I bet all guys are like this.” Elspeth blurted out. Max grinned “Well living with the town’s number one playboy you would know every side and part of a guy, Elspeth.” Elspeth’s face turned as red as tomato and stepped forward with a solid punch to Max’s shoulder. As she did her face turned pale. ‘O my god what the hell did I do, after all these years and I screw up when Von’s unconscious.’ Elspeth’s thoughts were broken by Max’s laughter, a deep laugh but southing at the same time. He rubbed his shoulder.

“I won’t teach you anything.” He said walking passed her, but as he got to her side he placed a hand on her shoulder. “Every morning at 5am I will spend five hours training you. Meet me at the gates that go toward Reikon City. Don’t be late.” Max finished walking away. Elspeth’s face lit up as his words sunk into her mind, she spun around just as he opened the doors.

“Thank you Max!” she yelled to him and excitedly running to Von’s room. Max grinned as he passed through the doors.

“What’s so funny boy?” Kedna asked walking next to Max down the stone stairs.

“Nothing. So how do you fell about teaching one more time?” He asked placing his hands in his pockets and closing his eyes and then looking Kedna's face.

The author's comments:
IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW arigatōgozaimashita: PRONOUNCED are-e-got-o-go-z-i-mass-ta posterior trapezius: the muscle the covers your shoulder blades and three other smaller muscles.

“Remember to complete the following each day- weather I show up or not.” Elspeth read aloud staying quiet as her eyes gazed at the list of painful and complicated exercises. She had become accustomed to doing them in Max and Kedna’s presence. For the last three and a half weeks Max woke her up before the sun rose and dragged her to the training court within the schools property. Elspeth walked down to white corridor until she came across a crossed door on her right. She peered though the small window. Scarlet was still there, awake at the moment, had been since he was placed in the room. The antidote was given to Von immediately; even so the medical sage said he was in a comma state and his body would fight the antidote constantly along with the poison. They kept him on constant watch.


Elspeth stepped in and smiled as Scarlet turned to the noise. She had be crying again, it was pathetic to see someone lay helpless knowing how much fighting sprit they had left, she felt completely responsible for Von’s accident. Elspeth opened the windows and tied the curtains up. She place new flowers in the vase and lightly kissed Von’s forehead.

“He’ll wake up, I promise Scarlet. You know him always waiting for the perfect moment to surprise us all.” Elspeth said leaving the room and closing the door behind her. She looked down, still holding the knob, and sighed. Shaking the ill thought from her mind she happily walked back outside, strangely it seemed longer than when she had come inside. When Elspeth got outside she subconsciously began stretching, she had been told to jog at a steady paste every morning from the hospital to the school. Max once told her that it was a good warm-up distance but she knew it was so she could check on Von everyday without worrying. After she finished stretching Elspeth started with a light jog, however after Max and Kedna’s training it looked like a full out sprint to anyone standing still. As the town blurred past and the sounds were blocked out Elspeth’s mind wandered to her first day of training.


Max was resting his arms over one of the training rings ropes. He was sweating and drinking water as Elspeth ran into the training grounds.

“I’m sorry I’m so late.” She gasped out placing her hands on her knees and breathing heavy. “I went to cheek on Von earlier and thought I had mor…” “Shut up!” Kedna’s growl came from behind her. Elspeth moved out of Kedna’s way and stared at the six foot wolf that walked up to Max.

“I still don’t think I should have to train this human.” Kedna grunted up at Max with eyes of detest at Elspeth.

“We’re teaching not training.” Max corrected Kedna setting his canteen on a nearby bench and wiping the sweat from his forehead, neck and armpits. Although he didn’t wipe the towel across his stomach Elspeth’s eyes trailed every crevasse on his body. Max’s stomach was different from Von’s, weren’t they all the same? Von’s stomach was firm and never jiggled like some of the older men’s due to their drinking. Von had “abs” from what Scarlet had said that’s what they were called, they were high on his stomach and the rest was smooth. Max’s stomach wasn’t smooth. His abs started almost at the bottom of his rib cage and ended a little under his belly button. Before she knew it Max was next to her and staring.

“Did you get enough sleep last night?” Here face felt warm as she stepped back and shook her hands horizontally. “Um, I got plenty of rest don’t worry about me.” She said smiling up at him.

“Let’s go idiots.” Kedna barked in their direction as he scratched a line into the dirt.

“What are we doing?” Elspeth asked looking at the line.

“A small run.” Max grinned “Go at your own paste, we’ll keep up with you.” He said as he stretched his legs and then arms. Elspeth followed his lead. They both stood on the line and waited for Kedna’s mark.

“You’re to run to the castle bridge, run completely around the castle. Following that you should run behind all the buildings at the edge of town until you reach the graveyard. Once you reach that point make your way back to the school.” Kedna explained sitting in front of them and watching their feet. “I catch you taking a detour and I won’t show up tomorrow. Understand!” He spoke up standing and letting out a loud bark. Elspeth jogged toward the castle. Max jogged beside her, he didn’t seem to have any trouble.


As Elspeth saw the school once again she looked about ready to cry. “I finished!” she yelled landing on her butt and breathing heavy. She swore sweat ran from every part of her body. “How far did we run anyway?” she asked wanting to look up but her head didn’t allow it. Max drank water and handed it off to Elspeth. “Each lap was about .043 miles and we did 8 of them so about.” Max paused as he calculated.

“Two miles!” Elspeth blurted out before Max reached an answer. Kedna walked in yawning and stretching his legs as he slowly walked to them.

“Well done. Now we start the teaching.” “Wait a minute.” Elspeth said finally standing. “What was all the running?”

“Warm up, get use to it.” Max answered for Kedna, who seemed irritated.

“Just do as you’re told. You wanted to learn so you’re getting taught. If you don’t like my methods find someone else who is willing to teach you.” Kedna snapped at her. Max sat on the large mat in the ring, Elspeth followed his lead.

“Do 20 sit ups, then pause and then twenty more. So you have a total of 100 sit ups. Can you do that much?” Kedna ordered mocking her. After the third set of 20 Elspeth felt a sharp pain in her stomach.

“Hey you okay?” Max asked as Elspeth grabbed her side and held her stomach.

“It hurts.” She replied confused.

“It’s normal, don’t worry after a few days it won’t. We have another two sets to do.” Elspeth ignored the pain as she finished a little behind Max.

“Max did you bring the paper?” Kedna asked pasting. Max went through a small pouch and pulled out the sheet and handed it to Elspeth.

“You said you watch Von practice so you know what the types of forms are.” It was more of a question then an actual statement so Elspeth nodded in response. She read over the sheet.









10 left and 10 right front kicks

10 left and 10 right back kicks

10 left and 10 right side-kicks

Break

15 squats with 50 pounds on shoulder

Break

10 left and 10 right forward punches

10 left and 10 right back punches

10 left and 10 right forward ridge hand

10 left and 10 right back ridge hand

10 left and 10 right forward hammar fist

10 left and 10 right back hammar fist

10 left and 10 right forward back fist

10 left and 10 right back back-fist









It was very well written for a guys hand writing. “What is this?” Elspeth asked handing it back to Max. Seeing Kedna almost smiling Elspeth wish she hadn’t had asked.

“It’s what we are going to do. And we need to do it within an hour so the knights don’t catch us.” Elspeth was completely taken be his statement. She had to finish that list and she had a time limit. She hung her head thinking of the pain. ‘There going to kill me, I sorry Von I won’t be here when you wake up.’ As she looked up from her thoughts she saw Max and Kedna waiting for her. She walked toward them. ‘O well, if I survive you’ll have to be careful Von.’ With her thought she smiled and started the first set of ten.


Elspeth returned her mind to the present and slowed her speed as she came to the school’s practice rings. As she approached she heard voices and quickly hid when she saw teachers working in the ring. ‘They shouldn’t be here it’s too early. What now?’ Elspeth stepped out and casually walked to the lockers on the right side.

“Hey! No practice until 7am, what business do you have here?” One of the teachers spoke up and watched her.

“I came to see if my brother left anything, we really likes all of his equipment and I thought he would want it when he wakes up.” She said innocently and not smiling but looking ready to cry. The teacher looked sorry for her and ignored her mostly.

“Just make sure to only take Von’s things.” He said returning to his sparing with the larger teacher. Elspeth grabbed the equipment she had been using and quickly left, bowing just before the exit. ‘That was a close one.’ She thought as she leaned against the outside wall of the school. ‘Well if Max isn’t here than there’s only one other place he would be’ as the though came to her she put her equipment on and ran straight to the city gates. The gate was always open due to the constant in and out movement. The city was on the south end of the island; at the north was the world largest airship dock, and between the two was a farming town named Reikon village. Max had her run the length of the island once before, the first time she ran it took her three hours. The last time she ran it she finished just under an hour.


As she reached Reikon she took the first right until she reached a dead end. She backed up and ran full speed at the wall. Looking at it from a distance it was a normal wall however if you knew the trick it was a simple climbing exercise. Small pegs were inserted into the wall, small enough that to slow of a person wouldn’t have a chance of getting over it. Elspeth knew the trick; it took her an entire week to figure it out. As she reached the wall she jumped off the ground and quickly stepped on each peg with the lightest touch of her feet. Once she reached the top a sight that she loved to see and no one else, except Kedna, could see it. The rising sun glistened off of a pair of 5 foot long black bird wings. The only thing that made the sight beautiful to Elspeth was the fact that the wings were attached to Max’s shoulder blades. When she saw them for the first time she almost lost consciousness but it soon became a normal thing to see Max shirtless with a pair of wings and sweat rolling down his body. He told her that the when his wings where out it was harder to practice but they had saved his live many a times.

“Good morning guys.” She said happily sitting next to Kedna and watching Max.
“You’re late.” Kedna barked, he was still grumpy around her but she felt he liked her a little more than when they first met.



۝

Max stood on the roof of the run down building, watching as the sun rose. He knelt onto one knee, placing one hand across his knee and the other he raised in front of his forehead.

“Fire; water; lightning; earth; wind; ice; space; time; light; and dark. I pray to thee to my soul in your sights through the day and the night, arigatōgozaimashita!” once he finished he removed his shirt, folded it then placed it on the roof. Max started moving each of his shoulder muscles, almost like dislocating them but without the pain. As his shoulder muscles moved two scars on his posterior trapezius slowly parted. When the scars had completely opened a pair of jet black wings stretched out. As the wings stretched to their full length clumps of blood and a few feathers feel to the ground. Max raised his head and watched the sun finish rising and took a deep breath. While concentrating he heard that cheerful voice that he heard every morning for the past month or so. He looked to his left to see Elspeth being scolded be Kedna, again.

“Leave her be Kedna, she survived your training so she deserves some credit.”

“You mean that’s all there is!?” Elspeth spoke up with disappointment in her voice.
“No. I still have to teach you how to use a weapon.” Max replied as he lowered to the ground and put his shirt back on, his wings already retracting. Elspeth watched in wonder as the wings disappeared once more. It always seemed beautiful to her ever since she first saw them.

“Hey Max.” Curiosity escaping her lips and Max arched an eyebrow at her while walking over to sit down. “Have you always had you wings?” Max’s eyes filled with hatred from the mention of his wings, but Elspeth so something else in his eyes but what was it?

“No, I got them right after I turned eight years old. Kedna stay here I’m going to go check on something.” Max jumped off the roof and moments later flew toward the shipping yard.

“Is it that bad.” Elspeth wondered, with her out loud voice.

“Yes he doesn’t like remembering those days, it makes him feel responsible.” “You know about his wings?” Elspeth ask Kedna in surprise. Kedna nodded and laid down on the warming concrete.

“When we first met he was crying and his hands where covered in blood. He slowly explained everything to me- thought I already knew what had happened.” Kedna glanced at Elspeth to see the look of ‘a small child wanting to know more’ in her eyes and started laughing. “You want to know that badly?” he asked in a husky voice. Elspeth nodded with too much exaggeration. Kedna thought for a moment and finally let out a deep breath.

“Alright then from the beginning, as you know Max is turning 19 at the end of the winter. When all of this went down he had just turned 8 so it’s been almost exactly ten years. I’ll start with the events that led up to the night I first met him. Yaragado is not Max’s actual last name, to keep those around him safe he changed it. Yaragado was the name the deity’s called the world we live in now, thought through time humanity has changed it to Valhalla.” Kedna looked at Elspeth making sure she understood. “Now Max’s real last name is Tsukin. He was and is the first born son of the dark king and queen that passed away ten years ago. The year before Max and his twin brother turned 8 they discovered something, something beautiful yet terrible.” “Like two sides of the same coin.” Elspeth butted in and stopped as Kedna glared at her. “Exactly” Kedna growled. “Two sides of the same coin. Now this object was known as the jewel of darkness- every kingdom has a jewel given to them by the deities. Max’s brother touched the jewel and was slowly, very slowly, corrupted by something the deities themselves feared. Jealousy! The named this creature Jaakuna, meaning Jealousy in the ancient deity language. Jaakuna poisoned Max’s brother’s mined and eventually won the battle for his mind, body and soul. The night Max had turned eight he woke from the lightning and went to his mothers and fathers quarters, only to find his mother dead in her bed and covered in bloody. With fear taking over he called for his father and brother, who didn’t answer. Max followed the inner castle wall until he came upon a worse sight then his dead mother.


What Max saw was his two best friends sitting on furniture. In front of them stood his brother holding a blade, at the end laid his father choking on blood and taking his last breath. With his last breath the King of Tsuki entrusted the jewel of darkness to Max, thus giving Max a stone for a heart and a pair of dark as night wings to protect him. With this much to take in Max’s wings protected him from his brother’s dagger and flew him to the safest place. Know I meet Max in the early summer and taught him everything I just finished teaching you, but had more fun with it.” Kedna yipped with the memory of him torturing Max so many years ago. Elspeth tried not to cry but found it pointless effort. “Don’t tell Max I told you, he doesn’t know I know.” Kedna snapped at her. “I won’t say anything. Promise.” She said still sniffling and whipping her eyes.

Kedna watched Elspeth‘s tears roll down her face. “Interesting.” he muttered getting Elspeth’s attention. “What?” She said whipping another tear from her check. “Nothing, never mind. We need to get to the airships.” Kedna snapped walking off.

“Wait! I don’t have my clearance yet.” Kedna grinned hearing her reply. “What do you think Max went to do, a morning stroll?” Laughing, sort of motioning her to follow. Which she did so, o so obediently. Kedna assumed it was due to having to follow her brother everywhere all the time for all these years.
Scarlet rubbed her eyelids, clearing sleepy dust and morning tears away, yawned and left Von's bed room. She walked down the almost empty hall passing a few doctors and patients on her way to the cafeteria. She held the door for three older gentlemen.

“Good morning miss.” Scarlet nodded

“What’s a fine little lady like doing here at this hour of day.”
“keeping an old friend company. Good day gentlemen.”

“Did you hear that Zhan, she called us gentlemen?” The three men laughed as they continued their walk. Scarlet smiled and stood in the short line.

“Same as always Scarlet?” a cafeteria lady asked. Scarlet nodded receiving a tray with foods and utensils on it. “This ones on us, sweetheart.” The cashier said waving her on.


Scarlet sat in the Von’s room once more- only ever leaving to retrieve breakfast and dinner. She was afraid he would wake up with no one around. She bowed her head and whispered.
“Fire, water; lightning, earth; wind, ice; space, time; light and dark. I pray to thee to keep my soul in your sights through the day and the night. Arigatōgozaimashita!” She began eating the eggs and toasts, jelly and butter laid upon the two slices. Though she was still hungry she always saved Von a helping of everything. The hours passed and Scarlet sat in the room, occasionally visited by a doctor or one of his many ‘fan girls’ so she called them. Scarlet locked the door around 2pm and sat next to the bed. She laid her head next to Von’s lower thigh and fell asleep once again.


Warmth covered Von’s hand as he twitched it and finally held the object that was resting within it. A familiar feeling and warmth filled him, but he couldn’t pin point where he had felt it before. Von’s eyes moved as they were still closed, and slowly opened. WHITE. This is what Von saw, a white wall, a white window with white blinds, and white sheets. The one thing that caught Von’s eye was the sunlight hitting a head of red hair.
“Scarlet.” He whispered squeezing his hand, which was laying underneath Scarlet’s hand. Scarlet slowly rose until she noticed Von was awake. Her eyes shot open as she stood and went to get one of the doctors.

“Wait.” Scarlet stopped as her hand pulled against her and she heard Von’s voice for the first time in weeks.
“Are you okay? You didn’t get hurt right.” Von’s throat was dry and he wasn’t speaking clearly at the moment. Scarlet smiled when she heard his questions but ignored them as she fled the room.


‘What does that idiot expect me to say? Am I okay? Of course I’m not okay, idiot. You haven’t been awake for weeks and I really missed that stupid smile of yours. And your comments. But you always make me angry and sometimes I even cry.’ Scarlet’s thought overflowed her mind as the doctors came to check on Von’s status, she walked quickly down the hall to the exit with her hand over her mouth. It was raining outside and Scarlet was quickly drenched in rain water. As she stood in the falling rain streaks of water ran down her face and to her lips. The strangest thing was the way some of them tasted. Salty!

The author's comments:
" POV stands for Point of view, I will use it from now one so you can keep the characters apart better. And I can get everyone's thoughts in the story

She bolted out of the room; he hadn’t even seen her face for more than a moment. ‘How long have I been here anyway? Must have been more than a week I’m starving.’ Von’s thoughts wandered into random thing as his stomach growled with each though of food. The door open and clicked shut
“Scar!” he almost jolted out of his bed until he say a female doctor instead of Scarlet.
“If you were hoping for a red head instead, she went toward an exit rather quickly a moment ago. Which is odd?” She examined Von’s stomach and chest, wrote notes on her pad.
“She was constantly asking how you were doing. She never left this room except to get food, but eat in here twice a day. I just thought for sure you two where...”
“What?” Von asked as the doctor reopened the door.
“Lover.” She winked at him and left. Von’s heartfelt odd for a moment. He shook it off, laid his head back and closed his eyes.

۝Elspeth's POV۝

“Wow!” Elspeth’s eyes lit up as she stared at the airbase.

“First time flier?” an older man asked wiping his hands on a cloth. She nodded with excitement, if Von hadn’t been in the hospital she never would have gotten to even see an airbase. Max walked over with a strange animal.

It looked like a velociraptor with wings connected to its arms and underarms. The bird like creature followed Max on its leash.

“What is that?”

“It’s our ride to the other kingdoms. As soon as you’re ready we’ll leave.” Max said patting the Mokin bird on its long muzzle. Elspeth was overjoyed she not only got to leave Kaze Kingdom but got to ride a Mokin at the same time, she had the best luck every.

“ELSPETH!!!!!!!” Myith’s voice yelled over her thoughts. She turned to see the short kid sitting on top of a Mokin, probably Goku.

“What is it Myith?” she said with irritation in her voice.

“Von, he woke up. That and its going to start raining here soon.

“Mokin’s won’t fly in the rain, their wings are fragile. You’ll have to wait until its clear skies.” The older man spoke up taking the reins from Max’s hand. “Sorry little lady.” He climbed on the bird and ran it to one of the sheds. With the Mokin’s speed the 2 mile distance was covered within a minute.

“Elspeth, about Von, well I kind of told him you were with Max.” Elspeth glared at him, she had told him not to tell Von. The little idigit never listened to her.

“Move over.” She said climbing onto Goku’s back. “Sorry Max, but he is family.” She looked unpleased about leaving but Goku wasted no time getting into the air.

۝Max's POV۝
“Family huh. You know some days I kinda’ wish I had something to call a family.”

“A waste of time if you ask me.” Kedna snapped, unhappy about something or other.

“Yeah well I didn’t ask you, now did I.”

“You want to go, boy!” Kedna growled lowering his head and bracing his legs to the ground.

“I’ll beat you any day.” Max looked out the corner of his eye. ‘I guess Kedna is like family in a way.’ With his thoughts he grinned and started walking back toward Reikon Village.

“Hey! Don’t turn your back to me.”

“Yeah and what’s a mutt gonna do about it?” Max started running as her heard Kedna bark a storm cursing him while chasing. ‘And I guess this is called fun.’
Elspeth jumped off of Goku and ran to the hospital entrance. The lady at the counter glanced up at her and grumbled.

۝Elspeth's POV۝

“Name, and person you’re visiting.”
“Elspeth Kyodai. I’m here to see Von Kyodai.” She didn’t like using the word ‘brother’ that much. Although Von was her brother at heart, he wasn’t by blood. She was aware of this long before Yoko told her. Von was her brother and she only had sibling like feelings toward him, however no one else was aware that she was adopted. This was the only secret the two of them shared and no one, not even Scarlet, knew.
“He’s in the west wing, this floor, room 12-b. Please don’t run.”
Elspeth walked quickly to the west wing, but slowed down and eventually stopped. ‘What do I say when her asked what I’ve been doing? He’s good at telling lies from the truth and I can’t lie very good in the first place.’ Elspeth slowly walked think over and over how she was going to tell Von –‘By the way while you were in the hospital I spent every day, all day with Max and his 6-foot Ookami, Kedna. They have been teaching me how to fight. I also learned how to use a dagger and tomorrow we are going to Kori to practice sword training. How are you?’ he would freak out the moment he heard “teaching”. She sighed and looked up to see Scarlet.
“Hey.” Scarlet turned and lowered her hand from a door handle. The room was labeled 12. It was Von’s room. Elspeth felt a sudden urge to just leave Scarlet to tend to Von.
“Long time no see. Have you been well?” Scarlet asked in her more girly voice- the one she near let Von hear, he would probably accidentally from hearing it. However Elspeth kept this little fact all to herself, it fun to tease Von- no matter who you are.
“I’m good. I just heard Von woke up so I skipped out on my morning pra… Um, you know what I think Von needs company should we both go in.” ‘That was a close one.’
“Fine by me. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Fine.” Elspeth waved her hands horizontally in front of her throat as Scarlet opened the door.
Von was standing at the foot of the bed and strapping arm guards over his t-shirt.

“What are you doing!?” Scarlet almost lost it.

“Well there are much worse patients and I’m able to work just fine on my own. So I’m getting dressed and then I’m going to get my clearance badge.”

“Wait just a minute!” Scarlet practically yelled, more upset than angry. “You shouldn’t be moving around in your condition. Just rest a few more days.”

“Why?” Von grabbed one of his leather boots and began tying it on his foot.

“Because!” Von still had the look of an idiot on his face. Scarlet clinched her fists and flew her arms in the arm. “Never mind, IDIOT! I give up, go and die for all I care.” She stomped past Elspeth and slammed the door shut.

“What’s with her, that’s the second time in less than an hour?” Von grabbed his other boot.

“She has a point Von.” He shrugged and continued lacing his shoes. “Maybe just for the day.”

“It’s good to see your still in one piece.” Elspeth gave up her poor excuse of persuasion.

“So what have you been doing while this whole time?” Elspeth about feel over, her entire live felt drained. The only question she didn’t want to answer.

“Not much.” She played with her thumbs has Von grabbed his belt.

“Do you remember Max?”

“From our class right, Yaragado. When did you go to first names.” Elspeth nodded getting to the point was not going to be smooth and easy no matter how she phrased it. She sighed to herself and continued.

“I was having him teach me while you were, sleeping.” Von’s brows narrowed as he leaned for his jacket.

“What things?” he glanced up at her has he finished with his shows

“He helped me get better at running, and leg strength. Arms too. Tomorrow he’s going to take me out of Kaze Kingdom and teach me how to use a blade.” Elspeth quietly spoke as she watched Von’s eyes grow dark. He grinned his teeth together and picked his jacket up.

“Elspeth, I really don’t think it’s a good idea for you to learn how to” A knock at the door interrupted Von’s calm argument. Elspeth turned to see Bria-day, the twins and Myith all staring inside.

“Is this a bad time?” Jak asked with Zak running up to Von.

“Can I see your wound? Just a peek!”

“No. Morons!” Von’s almost bit his head off from the temperament Elspeth had invoked.

“Perhaps we should leave the hospital and allow Von to practice his sword fighting. Being cooped up for a month has probably weakened his muscles.” Bria-day spoke up never removing her eyes from her book.

“I am not weak! I am perfectly capable of fighting just as before.” Von’s temper was definitely rising and Bria-day was not helping. Bria-day looked up into Von’s eyes.

“Then having Max as your sparring partner won’t be an issue.” Bria-day questioned Von, but they all knew her plan was to have the two fight each other on Elspeth’s behalf. Well they did after her little statement.

"I am NOT weak. I'll fight him one on one for all I care."

"Is that a threat?" Max's voice echoed pasted Bria-day as Von almost regretted his words.

"Only if you hear it that way!" The two were glaring at each other, Elspeth swore she saw lightning spark between the two. 'It's like two alpha wolves fighting over a piece of meat. So why, why do I have to be that piece of meat?' Elspeth thought as Bria-day said when and were the 'fight' was to take place. 'I'm going to kill them both with my own hands!' keeping her thoughts to herself she slipped out of the room, the twins following and signing.

"This is ganna" "Be a long week." they said.

۝Scarlet's POV۝

"Why the hell do I have to fight someone to have Elspeth listen to me, this never would have happened if I didn't pass out during the tournament." Von cursed out as he lay with his right arm over his eyes, his legs crossed as he lay on the soft queen sized bed.

"Von I said you could come over and calm down, not to sleep in my room, IDIOT!" Scarlet spoke with aggravation in the back of her throat and hitting him with a rolled up newspaper.

"Shit!" Von sat up and put his feet on the floor. "What the hell Scar."

"Don't 'Scar' me, you deserved it."

"I'm still injured." He said rubbing his head.

"Well than I'll just tell Bria-day that you forfeit and all will be taken care of." Scarlet said turning to leave.

"Don't." Von grabbed Scarlet's lower arm while half standing. Scarlet stopped, and clenched her fist, trying to stay calm.

'Just don't let him notice, calm down stupid heart. Why does he have to touch me anyway? Okay I have to get him to leave and soon.' Scarlet thought. She quickly turned to face Von, smiling like an idiot.

"Kidding, baka." Von's expression changed from serious to not 'what the heck.' Scarlet took her hand from Von's grip and sat down next to him, a good foot from him.

"You shouldn't take things so serious." She lay back on her bed and closed her eyes.
"Maybe this will get his attention?"

۝Von's POV۝

As Scarlet laid on the bed her shirt wrinkled and showed just below her diaphragm, and the school's skirt wasn't helping her cover her unmentionables and thighs. He placed his elbows on his knees and lowered his head. 'What the hell his wrong with her! Laying in that possession in front of a guy.' Von thought with a little grin appearing on his lips.
'Wait what if she doesn't think of me as a GUY but as a FRIEND only.' The thought made Von's stomach flip. 'Just don't think about it. There's no way she thinks that.' Von glanced toward her, which resulted in his race burning up and his lower half becoming quite alert of Scarlet's 'feminine' side. Von stood quickly and headed to the door.

"I'm going to go practice a little." He opened the door and paused when he heard that sweat voice behind him.

"Want me to come along?"

"No, that's okay. I'll see you tomorrow for the match." Von closed the door behind him and took a deep exhale.

"That was a close one." Von thought.

۝Scarlet's POV۝

Von stood and walked toward the door. Scarlet's eyes flew open and she sat up on one of her elbows.

"I'm going to go practice a little." He said as the door opened.

"Want me to come along?" She asked in her sweetest voice and watched him tense up and reply.

"No, that's okay. I'll see you tomorrow for the match." Von closed the door behind him.

"That was a close one." Scarlet thought as her heart slowed back to its original pulse.

۝Von's POV۝

Von walked into the main arena’s changing room. A few new knights where putting their padding on. A lot of them Von recognized from school and the practice battles. He placed his bag in front of his locker. When he removed his shirt and went to pull a new one out of his bag he noticed a lot of the guys watching him, not many knights had battle scars at a young age, if at all. Most of them either died from them or retired after they healed. Von worked his entire life to become a knight and no small wound on his chest was going to cause him to leave that title behind. Besides he had a long way to go if he was going to become the best knight in the twelve kingdoms of Vahalla. Von ignored the small whispered he could make out and finished getting dressed.

He pulled his boots over his pants and slammed one onto the bench, getting everyone's attention. He laced and tied it, repeated the same to the other and then stuffed his bag into his locker and latched the lock. Von walked past the other guys to the armory rack. He looked across the different swords, none of them as nice as his fathers but any of them would work- he really didn't want to use just any blade but he didn't mind for practice. Von picked a broad sword with a stainless steel 32" blade with a classic cast metal handle. It was a little on the heavy side but Von figured the other ones wouldn't hold up to a customized sword like most knight have. Von took the blade and walked out of the changing room into the main arena.

He blocked the sun with his open hand and saw the sight he grew up seeing. Blades clashed with force behind them, the wielders eyes sought for nothing but victory and the pleasure of using a blade. Guys laughing while waiting for their turn, sharpening weapons, and talking with other knights. He smiled as he walked up to an empty rink.

"Hey guys, which one of you wants to go around with me?" The guys from his group of graduates turned to him and glanced back at each other.

"Hey, so how are doing today?"

"Good, except I had to leave Scarlet's room to come practice for my fight tomorrow." Von smiled with the guys as one of them grumbled about Scarlet only letting Von in her house. "Don't worry man, we're childhood friends there's nothing more than that between us." Their faces lightened a little but Von felt sick for giving them such confidence. Because he knew Scarlet said yes to any and every guy, that always made Von's temperament go on edge. He had asked once before and all he got was a week worth of constant pain in his groin so he left it at that.

"So guys you want to go and head and call it a day." Von stood as the group of them left, quit quickly without another word. Von looked around to see a lot of the knights whispering and pointing at him.

"Why don't you all just shut the f up!" He yelled as loud as he could, silencing the whispers and causing the fighting knights to freeze. Von glared at all of them with the look of disgrace on his face.

"I'm perfectly capable of fighting today. And I don't need any ones sympathy. Got IT!" he huffed walking past the arena's main stage.

"Well said." Von stopped as he heard Max's deep voice. Von turned to see Max suited up to practice and holding a dull looking sword. It was either used to much or not meant to leave injuries.

"What do you want?"

"A practice match." Von raised an eyebrow. "with you." Max pointed his sword at Von's throat. "So what's it going be, Von?" Max asked sarcastically and watching as Von's mouth slowly formed a grin and his eyes filled with mirth. How could he possible say no.

The author's comments:
I haven't been on in like ever!!! I apologies, but I have a lot written so I hope that makes up for my absence.

Garth watched the scenery below as the great bird soared through the sky, below the cloud line but high enough to not be seen from the ground. He pulled slightly on the phoenix's neck feathers, causing the massive bird to flip its wings into a spiral motion downward. The wind brushed passed Garth's face, his hair raised and feel as the bird flew around tall structures. The bird straightened its wings out, allowing its feet to coast through the ocean below. It flew swiftly but majestically past the large pillars of ice. Garth rose his arms up and leaned back. He closed his eyes, just sitting on the bird and leaning with the great bird feel like he was flying without an animal. He opened his eyes right as the phoenix landed on a slick service. Garth climbed down and landed on solid snow. "It's good to be home again, return my pet." he said walking away from the bird and forward in silence. The bird's flames died out and turned black. It slowly returned to Garth's body and resumed the form of a tattoo. Garth stopped and looked out to the open land he called his home. The land was frozen and cold with water crashing into the icy tundra. The only thing Garth could see was death, but perhaps that was because he knew the exact cause of the islands dead, frozen land.



Garth slid down a snowy hill side to an icy landing. His boots crunched the thin layer of snow that covered the frozen water; walking forward Garth undid his shirt's button and stuffed if in one of his pouches. His tattoos slowly started to glow a pale white against his deep purplish black toned skin. The air was probably cold, most likely 0 degrees or lower; however Garth's breath did not show. His body temperature was already the same as the air around him; a little trick all dark elves are born with. The air was thick and any normal human, if not yet frozen, wouldn't be able to see their own hand- however Garth's red eyes allowed him the ability to see through the thick air and locate an ancient looking gate. He moved forward, until he was no long visible.

Garth had probably been walking for two or three hours, his feet where really starting to ache and his body was not wanting to move any longer. He wasn't used to the environment anymore.

"I have to find that gate." Garth paused as he spoke to himself; he glanced around only moving his eyes. 'Demon? Well at least I'm close.' he though grinning to himself and starting up again. 'If that thing stays far enough away until I reach the gates I don't have to worry, but it’s strange to have such a low level demon in this area. Especially without any living creates within miles, besides me.' Garth picked his pace up a little until he came across two grand statues made out of gold and sapphire stones. The statues resembled wolves, both stood with pride and eyes are red as Garth's.

"It's good to finally be home." Garth exhaled heavily and smiled as he passed through the statues. A great wall, with no top, and a gate stood in front of Garth. He pulled a small dagger from his left boot, unsheathed it and slid it across his right hand. The snow below was stained with red rubies, and the gate was painted with blood.

"Abrir!" when Garth spoke his blood dissolved into the gate and it creaked open and Garth slipped through, the gates slammed closed shortly after Garth's figure disappeared within the walls.

Garth walked across cracked stoned pathway with dead weeds that had tried to grow in the barren land. As he got farther from the gate what looked like burnt and broken buildings lay in rubble and the wind was the only sound that could be heard. Garth to a left at the forked road and drew a small blade from his arm sheath.

"No point in hiding, demon." He didn't have to see the hideous creature that lurked in the ancient cities forum.

"I already know where you are and what you are; unless you wish to die I suggest you flee far from these sacred ruins." With his words a shadow twitched and then slowly disappeared. Garth exhaled a large, yet quite, breath. He returned his knife to its sheath. He continued his way until he came across another gate. This gate was no nearly impressive, copper and brass created knot work that weaved its way around the fencing and the gate was a few inches shorter than Garth's shoulders.



He slide the old gate open, a loud screech echoed throughout the city as he entered the grounds. Large ravens cawed and flapped their wings was Garth walked under the only tree left in the city.

DEATH.

That was all that remained, all Garth knew, and all he had ever seen. Never light, never a smile a crossed his mother's face, or a word of praise from his father. Although he had meet a young girl once and she was the only girl who smiled at him. The only one he regretted betraying for his own life.

"It’s been awhile, Princesa. And as always, I have yet to find a weakness but I suppose you won’t be helping me any time soon. Well it is my fault that things ending this way. I hope you found somewhere you belong and you can forget that horrid night I caused. Sinto moito elfo negro princesa" Garth said tossing a yellow rose onto a stone that read:
""Princesa no Elfo""

"Princess! Princess! Wait you must finish getting dressed before heading to the ceremony. Princess! Please wait." A man yelled as he fell over a wooden box and watching a young girl run around the corner. The girl ran down the hall with bare feet and a white chemise with her hair flowing behind her like a river in the sky. A smile lit up the girls face as she raced past door after door, all closed. She followed the hallway until she came to a door with two men, both in large black cloaks and light armor. She smiled up at the two knights.

"Princess?" One of the men said is surprise as the other one removed his cloak and laid it around he shoulders.

"Keep an eye on the entrance; I am taking Princess to somewhere safe." The man stood and took the girl by her hand. "Come." the girl smiled and followed the knight.

"Where to today?" she asked the knight as they walked.

"Today we are going to play hide and seek, however you must hide somewhere outside the kingdom." the girl's eyes widened and her face brightened.

"Can I ride a gryphon!" she asked as he lifted her up onto a large bird.

"Not today, Princess. However you can ride a Corvo." The girl's face dimmed a little with disappointment. "Ready?" she nodded and held onto the birds neck feathers carefully.

"Be safe, my Princess." he said as the bird flapped its wings and cawed

"I don't like this. I don't want to go." a tear feel from her eye as the bird dived off the castle's wall.

"Garth!!!!!!!!!"

Garth's eyes flew open as is vision un-blurred and saw the rose lying at the graves marker.
"Princesa, eu... eu... pido desculpas." He said walking away from the grave and returning to the large gate and leaving the ancient city and returning to the barren land he began at. DEATH surrounded him again, it was always dead where ever he went.

"Elfo maxio" Garth said, as he did his arm tattoo re-appeared, he climbed atop his beast and it took to the sky.

"To Kaze my friend."

****************



Von's eyes watched as the other squires and knights watched Max. Von had to admit he was a little jealous of Max's certainty and bluntness. He would never have asked someone who just got out of the hospital to a practice match, then again he also wouldn't skip class half the year and never would he have missed practice every day.

"You want a handicap?" Even if he was injured he could take someone who never practiced with a sparring partner was not going to be a problem.

"I think I'll be okay, you want one?" A grin stretched a crossed Max's face as he sheathed his blade and took a strange stance in the ring.

'What’s with this guy? He's acting like he already won. Well let’s see how he likes being beat.' Von thought as he gripped his swords hilt and unsheathed it.

"Ready when you are, Max." Von pulled his sword and gripped it with both hands. It wasn't anything special but it had a good weight to it so Von wasn't complaining. He had used a broadsword before so he was used to them but he preferred his own blade that his father had made for him when he became a knight.

"Well then, shall we?” Max asked pulling a dagger from his right sleeve and spinning so the blade's point faced to his right in his left hand. Von ground his teeth and raced toward him.

"Don't mock me!" he yelled hitting Max's dagger with his sword, the two blades collided, sliding a crossed one another and letting out a sharp shriek. Max spun his dagger so it was parallel to his arm and the edge was facing away from him. With a glare and a demonic grin at Von, Max returned the attack with a quick and accurate motion. Max stood up straight and stepped back two paces as Von touched his face with his fingers, warm and wet blood stained his fingertips red. Looking across at Max, who seemed very pleased with himself

“Tsh. Don’t….” Von said as he closed his eyes. “Mock! ME!” He finished advancing with his sword ready in hand. Max lifted the dagger for defense and his right arm up, just in case.

“Come. Von.” Max said as Von’s blade hit his own once more. “You won’t get even a scratch on me if you keep fighting that way.” Max said as he defended Von’s attempt to attack. Max sighed, not from getting tired but from extreme boredom. ‘Time to get this fight started.’ Max thought as he shifted his weight to his left foot, waited for Von’s next swing and blocked with his dagger, using his right foot to do a thrust kick to Von’s upper chest. The impact caused Von’s feet to stumble backward.



‘Why? Why?’ Von thought as he clinched the blade in his right hand and narrowed his eyes while looking at the ground. ‘Why can’t I hit him? Just one hit, that’s all I need. But why is it that I can’t even land one hit?’ Von glanced up to see Max smirking and re-sheathing his dagger. It pissed him off, a lot. ‘The nerve of that bastard to put his weapon away during a fight.’

“What I’m I not worth your time anymore?” Von yelled at Max, placing both hands back on his sword and holding it up. “Even if you re-sheath your blade I won’t back down.”

“Oh, is that so?” Max said looking at the very frustrated yet determined opponent of his. ‘His aura is different; it’s about time he got serious.’ Max let out a small laugh as he thought.

“Alright then, I’ll fight you seriously from now on. Then we’ll see how much more you need to practice.”

“SHUT UP!” Von said running toward Max ‘He still doesn’t have a weapon, o well.’ Von thought as he proceeded with his attack.

“Don’t blame me if you get injured.” Von loosened his left hand from the hilt and swung the blade as fast as possible. Dust lifted from the ring’s floor, though when it settled Von eyes widened. “How?” Von said not believing what he saw- anything. Not Max, nor drops of blood, just the spectators on the outside of the ring.

“How indeed?” Max’s voice echoed next to Von’s head. Max stood with his back inches from Von’s. “That speed was extremely impressive; I am surprised that you didn’t get my clothing. Then again I have probably had worse training than you.” Von’s eyes slowly glanced to his right so he could get a small glimpse behind him.

“Fool.”


“Why!” Von replied automatically.


“You are a F O O L.” Max said sarcastically slowly. Von’s grip tightened and his free hand created a fist at his side. “But, you have fire in your eyes so I wouldn’t say you’re a waste of my time, more like you aren’t at my level so I will fight you serious if you wish it, however you will lose.”

The audience started watching more attentively and gathered to watch as the two stood back to back.



“Now then let’s start this match. Ready?” Max said pulling his sheathed sword from his belt and swinging it to his left. Von moved his blade to block Max’s from hitting the side of his abdomen. Von turned and looked at Max, who seemed different. His eyes were narrowed, darker and his overall posture seemed darker. ‘It’s like he is a different person, but why would have a fight change him so much? Unless...’ Von looked over Max’s person and the blade he was now welding. ‘Could it be that Max has fought an opponent that only thought of killing him? Is it possible that Max has been fighting for his life instead of practicing with someone who was trying to teach him to fight? I knew he wasn't from around here but how bad could someone his age have had it so far." Von thought as Max came for another attack. ‘Another thing is that blade he has it reminds me of one of Scarlet’s four blades - A Dragon Sword, extremely rare and impossible to break. But why would Max have one?’ Max moved forward swinging his sword at Von who pushed the blade around in a circle until the two swords split apart. Von breathed heavy as his chest began to burn; he wasn’t used to such violent attacks at a fast speed or for long periods of time.

Max swiped his blade, this time it ripped Von’s loose tunic. Max spun on his feet to turn his body so he could get in another swing within seconds.



"Not this time buddy." Von said blocking Max's sword and punching Max in his face. Max feet slid back, but only a few inches. Max glanced at Von who was, to Max’s surprise, still standing and willing to fight. Max grinned again as Von took the offensive and went for another hit, although this time he got his sword to rip a piece of Max’s tunic. Max used his sword to push Von back, who braced his sword’s dull edge with his left hand. Max used his foot to kick Von off balance and land on his back. Though Von still persisted to fight back. Max used his right hand to hold his sword against Von’s and his left to draw his other blade. This one was slimmer, and shorter than the Dragon Sword. It had a spay-point and the blade itself was made from a unique ore, one Von had never seen at his father’s workshop. It was a beautiful blade in all, Von might have appreciated it a little more if it wasn’t two inches from his head and stabbed into the ring’s floor.

"Von! Stop this already, Max don't hurt him! Please!" Max froze as Elspeth's voice called as she pushed through the massive crowd that had gathered until her hands landed on the ring's mat. Max didn’t want to end to fight however harming someone who was already hurt was not something Max was going to be known for. As Max released his pressure on Von’s blade Kedna emerged from the mat as a shadow until he became a solid object again.
“Max, front gate NOW!” Max glanced at his companion with curiosity “It’s Iku.” Max sheathed both his blades and mounted Kedna’s back.

“Get everyone into the castle who cannot fight and anyone who can to the front gates.” Max yelled at the Knights.

“Why?!” one yelled back as Kedna ran through the arena’s wall and straight to the city’s main gate.



-----Max’s POV-----


He really hated it when Kedna used dark magic to go through objects. It always made him feel weird; even if it was supposed to be a natural skill to him he hated it every time. Kedna’s head and front paws started passing through the brick arena wall, his hind legs and Max shortly followed. Max held his breath as his hand dissolved through the solid wall. Darkness covered everything around them but only for a moment. Kedna’s body flew out of the wall as his front paws touched the ground his hind legs curved behind him, leaving scratches on the roadway. He dashed forward, not hesitating a second to long. Max held onto the hair just above Kedna’s wither, he had done it so many times it was a second nature to him. Kedna raced past citizens, some moving out of the way on their own accord but others Kedna seemed to pass by without a problem.

“Where was she last you checked?” Max asked as they passed the blacksmith’s shop and workshop. Kedna was not in a hurry to reply, Max knew that once the stubborn dog had something set in his mind nothing could get in the way of it.

“Outside of Reikon village, about 20 minutes away from it. And I am sure she is riding on something fast.”

“Fast?” Max thought out loud as Kedna jumped over someone’s cart of vegetables and tried his best not to hit anyone.

“Like a dragon or I don’t know one of Garth’s…”

“I got it.” Max interrupted, he knew what Iku was capably of – well what she was capably of 7 years ago, but Garth was an entirely different problem he did not want to mess with. A mage of space and dark magic is one thing; a highly trained dark elvish knight of the royal empire was another. Kedna slowed his speed down as they got closer to the gate.


It wasn’t the most impregnable wall but it held its own against rouge demons and the occasional outbreak of war that actually involved Kaze Kingdom, a plus of being a floating island 1000 miles above the rest of the world. Max couldn’t help but grin as he remembered his first trip up to the ‘Great Sky Realm of Vahalla’ or so his mother called it.

“You focused Max?” Kedna asked looking over his fury shoulder.

“Is that a hint of worry I since?” Max mocked the wolf followed by a deep growl under Kedna’s breath. “Don’t worry I have a cleared mined when it comes to them.” Max un-straddled Kedna as they approached the soldiers on duty. “Act natural.” Max whispered to Kedna

“I know how to act when around guards, BAKA.” Kedna snarled at Max, trying to play Kedna off as a pet dog was extremely difficult, especially when dogs don’t talk. As they got closer, Max waved at one of the soldiers who didn’t even flinch as they went through the gate.

“That was easier than other times.” Kedna said picking up speed alongside Max

“Yeah I wonder WHO could make sneaking in and out of cities so hard.” Max said glancing down at Kedna who simple ignored him.

“Sorry I didn’t catch that, what about me kicking your ass every day for three years.” Kedna sneered at Max as he turned his face to see Max, who had a smile larger than he ever would inside walls. “Well
let’s get going shall we.” Kedna said as he shifted behind Max and slowly lowered into Max’s shadow. Max kept a steady running pace as Kedna’s ears, and head appeared just in front of Max. Kedna’s body slowly arose from beneath Max, his legs still running as he grabbed onto Kedna’s fur. Kedna rose completely out from the shadows and ran like there was no tomorrow, and if Iku had her way there wouldn’t be.

As they reached the far outskirts of the city Max saw what was becoming of Reikon village. Deep ember flames sparked high above the streets, they resembled fireflies. Those who had fled where reach Max and Kedna screaming, with horror on their faces and uncontrollable tears running down most of their faces. Max felt like a dagger pierced his gut time after time.

“It’s all my doing.” He said as Kedna cautiously walked toward the heat. Kedna kept his nose high hopefully he could smell the beast before it showed itself. Dragons where known for many things – a strive to keep all that is gold; the first creatures to not fear fire; but they were best known for the poisonous smoke that lit in flames wherever they went. However Max had gone against one other dragon before, it didn’t care for food, nor did it wish to live but if a dragon is provoked enough it strives for death. Max was very familiar with rouge dragons and that they were born to hide within their own smoke and flames, each a different color and each had a different flame.

Kedna watched as he walked stepping over ever rock and stick that could make a sound and watching the burning buildings to make sure nothing fell onto them. Kedna never used magic when searching for a dragon and Max found out why the hard way many years ago. Kedna came to a halt as a shadow quickly passed behind them shortly followed by a massive screech; Kedna winced as he thrashed his head back and forth. Max watched the shadowy figure as best he could however when you try and follow a dragon you should never keep your eyes on one spot to long.

“Be…” Kedna started but the dragon’s sharp vocals caused him to sway back and forth, his paws moved unwilling to stay in one place. Max slide of his back and grabbed Kedna’s head, covering his ears the best he could.

“You have to tell me. What is it?” Max said into Kedna’s left ear. Kedna glared up at Max who was watching him carefully. Kedna began to speak when a great wind began to hurl the flames all around. A dragon stood upon one of the buildings, its dark wings where massive in length as they folded back behind the creatures head and rested against its sides.

“It’s so good to see you.” A voice echoed through the fiery city, it was definitely female. A woman stood on the dragons shoulders. As she spoke the dragon lowered its head to make her completely visible. “Max Tsuki.” The corners of her lips curled as icy eyes stared down at him.

“Iku.” Max stood his hands clinched into fists, his eyebrows lowered and his eyes narrowed. He ground his teeth at the sight of the woman who help with the murder of his parents 8 years ago.

Garth watched the scenery below as the great bird soared through the sky, below the cloud line but high enough to not be seen from the ground. He pulled slightly on the phoenix's neck feathers, causing the massive bird to flip its wings into a spiral motion downward. The wind brushed passed Garth's face, his hair raised and feel as the bird flew around tall structures. The bird straightened it's wings out, allowing its feet to coast through the ocean below. It flew swiftly but majestically past the large pillars of ice. Garth rose his arms up and leaned back. He closed his eyes, just sitting on the bird and leaning with the great bird feel like he was flying without an animal. He opened his eyes right as the phinoex landed on a slick service. Garth climbed down and landed on solid snow. "It's good to be home again, return my pet." he said walking away from the bird and forward in silence. The bird's flames died out and turned black. It slowly returned to Garth's body and resumed the form of a tattoo. Garth stopped and looked out to the open land he called his home. The land was frozen and cold with water crashing into the icy tundra. The only thing Garth could see was death, but perhapes that was because he knew the exact cause of the islands dead, frozen land.

Garth slid down a snowy hill side to an icy landing. His boots crunched the thin layer of snow that covered the frozen water, walking forward Garth undid his shirt's button and stuffed if in one of his pouches. His tattoos slowly started to glow a pale white against his deep purplish black toned skin. The air was probably cold, most likely 0 degrees or lower, however Garth's breath did not show. His body temperature was already the same as the air around him, a little trick dark elves are born with. The air was thick and any normal human, if not yet frozen, wouldn't be able to see their own hand- however Garth's red eyes allowed him the ability to see through the thick air and locate an ancient looking gate. He moved forward, until he was no long visible.

Garth had probably been walking for two or three hours, his feet where really starting to ache and his body was not wanting to move any longer. He wasn't used to the environment anymore.

"I have to find that gate." Garth paused as he spoke to himself, he glanced around only moving his eyes. 'Demon? Well at least I'm close.' he though grinning to himself and starting up again. 'If that thing stays far enough away until I reach the gates I don't have to worry, but its strange to have such a low level demon in this area. Especially without any living creates within miles, besides myself.' Garth picked his pace up a little until he came across two grand statues made out of gold and sapphire stones. The statues resembled wolves, both stood with pride and eyes are red as Garth's.

"It's good to finally be home." Garth exhaled heavily and smiled as he passed through the statues. A great wall, with no top, and a gate stood in front of Garth. He pulled a small dagger from his left boot, unsheathed it and slid it across his right hand. The snow below was stained with red rubies, and the gate was painted with blood.

"Abrir!" when Garth spoke his blood dissolved into the gate and it creaked open and Garth slipped through, the gates slammed closed shortly after Garth's figure disappeared within the walls.
Garth walked across cracked stoned pathway with dead weeds that had tried to grow in the barren land. As he got farther from the gate what looked like burnt and broken buildings laid in rubble and the wind was the only sound that could be heard. Garth to a left at the forked road and drew a small blade from his arm sheath.

"No point in hiding, demon." He didn't have to see the hideous creature that lurked in the ancient cities forum.

"I already know where you are and what you are, unless you wish to die I suggest you flee far from these sacred ruins." With his words a shadow twitched and then slowly disappeared. Garth exhaled a large, yet quite, breath. He returned his knife to its sheath. He continued his way until he came across another gate. This gate was no nearly impressive, copper and brass created knot work that weaved its way around the fencing and the gate was a few inches shorter than Garth's shoulders.

He slide the old gate open, a loud screech echoed throughout the city as he entered the grounds. Large ravens cawed and flapped their wings was Garth walked under the only tree left in the city.

DEATH.

That was all that remained, all Garth knew, and all he had ever seen. Never light, never a smile a crossed his mother's face, or a word of praise from his father. Although he had meet a young girl once, the only girl who smiled at him. The only one he regretted betraying for his own life.

"Its been awhile, Princesa. And as always, I have yet to find a weakness but I suppose you wont be helping me any time soon. Well it is my fault that things ending this way. I hope you found somewhere you belong and you can forget that horrid night I caused. Sinto moito elfo negro princesa" Garth said tossing a yellow rose onto a stone that read:
""Princesa no Elfo""

"Princess! Princess! Wait you must finish getting dressed before heading to the ceremony. Princess! Please wait." A man yelled as he feel over a wooden box and watching a young girl run around the corner. The girl ran down the hall with bare feet and a white chemise with her hair flowing behind her like a river in the sky. A smile lit up the girls face as she raced past door after door, all closed. She followed the hallway until she came to a door with two men, both in large black cloaks and light armor. She smiled up at the two knights.

"Princess?" One of the men said is surprise as the other one removed his cloak and laid it around he shoulders.

"Keep an eye on the entrance, I am taking Princess to somewhere safe." The man stood and took the girl by her hand. "Come." the girl smiled and followed the knight.

"Where to today?" she asked the knight as they walked.

"Today we are going to play hide and seek, however you must hide somewhere outside the kingdom." the girl's eyes widened and her face brightened.

"Can I ride a gryphon!" she asked as he lifted her up onto a large bird.

"Not today, Princess. However you can ride a Corvo." The girl's face dimmed a little with disappointment. "Ready?" she nodded and held onto the birds neck feathers carefully.

"Be safe, my Princess." he said as the bird flapped its wings and cawed

"I don't like this. I don't want to go." a tear feel from her eye as the bird dived off the castle's wall.

"Garth!!!!!!!!!"

Garth's eyes flew open as is vision un-blurred and saw the rose lying at the graves marker.
"Princesa,eu... eu... pido desculpas." He said walking away from the grave and returning to the large gate and leaving the ancient city and returning to the barren land he began at. DEATH surrounded him again, it was always dead where ever he went.

"Elfo maxio" Garth said, as he did his arm tattoo re-appeared, he climbed atop his beast and it took to the sky.

"To Kaze my friend."

Von's eyes watched as the other squires and knights watched Max. Von had to admit he was a little jealous of Max's certainty and bluntness. He would never have asked someone who just got out of the hospital to a practice match, then again he also wouldn't skip class half the year and never would he have missed practice every day.

"You want a handicap?" Even if he was injured he could take someone who never practiced with a sparring partner was not going to be a problem.

"I think I'll be okay, you want one?" A grin stretched a crossed Max's face as he sheathed his blade and took a strange stance in the ring.

'Whats with this guy? He's acting like he already won. Well let’s see how he likes being beat.' Von thought as he gripped his swords hilt and unsheathed it.

"Ready when you are, Max." Von pulled his sword and gripped it with both hands. It wasn't anything special but it had a good weight to it so Von wasn't complaining. He had used a Tizona Del Cid sword before so he was used to them but he preferred his own blade that his father had made for him when he became a knight.

"Well then, shall we?” Max asked pulling a dagger from his right sleeve and spinning so the blade's point faced to his right in his left hand. Von ground his teeth and raced toward him.

"Don't mock me!" he yelled hitting Max's dagger with his sword, the two blades collided, sliding a crossed one another and letting out a sharp shriek. Max spun his dagger so it was parallel to his arm and the edge was facing away from him. With a glare and a demonic grin at Von, Max returned the attack with a quick and accurate motion. Max stood up straight and stepped back two paces as Von touched his face with his fingers, warm and wet blood stained his fingertips red. Looking across at Max, who seemed very pleased with himself

“Tsh. Don’t….” Von said as he closed his eyes. “Mock! ME!” He finished advancing with his sword ready in hand. Max lifted the dagger for defense and his right arm up, just in case.

“Come. Von.” Max said as Von’s blade hit his own once more. “You won’t get even a scratch on me if you keep fighting that way.” Max said as he defended Von’s attempt to attack. Max sighed, not from getting tired but from extreme boredom. ‘Time to get this fight started.’ Max thought as he shifted his weight to his left foot, waited for Von’s next swing and blocked with his dagger, using his right foot to do a thrust kick to Von’s upper chest. The impact caused Von’s feet to stumble backward.

‘Why? Why?’ Von thought as he clinched the blade in his right hand and narrowed his eyes while looking at the ground. ‘Why can’t I hit him? Just one hit, that’s all I need. But why is it that I can’t even land one hit?’ Von glanced up to see Max smirking and re-sheathing his dagger. It pissed him off, a lot. ‘The nerve of that bastard to put his weapon away during a fight.’

“What I’m I not worth your time anymore?” Von yelled at Max, placing both hands back on his sword and holding it up. “Even if you re-sheath your blade I won’t back down.”

“Oh, is that so?” Max said looking at the very frustrated yet determined opponent of his. ‘His aura is different, it’s about time he got serious.’ Max let out a small laugh as he thought.

“Alright then, I’ll fight you seriously from now on. Then we’ll see how much more you need to practice.”

“SHUT UP!” Von said running toward Max ‘He still doesn’t have a weapon, o well.’ Von thought as he proceeded with his attack.

“Don’t blame me if you get injured.” Von loosened his left hand from the hilt and swung the blade as fast as possible. Dust lifted from the ring’s floor, though when it settled Von eyes widened. “How?” Von said not believing what he saw- anything. Not Max, nor drops of blood, just the spectators on the outside of the ring.

“How indeed?” Max’s voice echoed next to Von’s head. Max stood with his back inches from Von’s. “That speed was extremely impressive; I am surprised that you didn’t get my clothing. Then again I have probably had worse training than you.” Von’s eyes slowly glanced to his right so he could get a small glimpse behind him.

“Fool.”

“Why!” Von replied automatically.

“You are a F O O L.” Max said sarcastically slowly. Von’s grip tightened and his free hand created a fist at his side. “But, you have fire in your eyes so I wouldn’t say you’re a waste of my time, more like you aren’t at my level so I will fight you serious if you wish it, however you will lose.”

The audience started watching more attentively and gathered to watch as the two stood back to back.

“Now then let’s start this match. Ready?” Max said pulling his sheathed sword from his belt and swinging it to his left. Von moved his blade to block Max’s from hitting the side of his abdomen. Von turned and looked at Max, who seemed different. His eyes were narrowed, darker and his overall posture seemed darker. ‘It’s like he is a different person, but why would have a fight change him so much? Unless...’ Von looked over Max’s person and the blade he was now welding. ‘Could it be that Max has fought an opponent that only thought of killing him? Is it possible that Max has been fighting for his life instead of practicing with someone who was trying to teach him to fight? I knew he wasn't from around here but how bad could someone his age have had it so far." Von thought as Max came for another attack. ‘Another thing is that blade he has it reminds me of one of Scarlet’s four blades - A Dragon Sword, extremely rare and impossible to break. But why would Max have one?’ Max moved forward swinging his sword at Von who pushed the blade around in a circle until the two swords split apart. Von breathed heavy as his chest began to burn; he wasn’t used to such violent attacks at a fast speed or for long periods of time.

Max swiped his blade, this time it ripped Von’s loose tunic. Max spun on his feet to turn his body so he could get in another swing within seconds.

"Not this time buddy." Von said blocking Max's sword and punching Max in his face. Max feet slid back, but only a few inches. Max glanced at Von who was, to Max’s surprise, still standing and willing to fight. Max grinned again as Von took the offensive and went for another hit, although this time he got his sword to rip a piece of Max’s tunic. Max used his sword to push Von back, who braced his sword’s dull edge with his left hand. Max used his foot to kick Von off balance and land on his back. Though Von still persisted to fight back. Max used his right hand to hold his sword against Von’s and his left to draw his other blade. This one was slimmer, and shorter than the Dragon Sword. It had a spay-point and the blade itself was made from a unique ore, one Von had never seen at his father’s workshop. It was a beautiful blade in all, Von might have appreciated it a little more if it wasn’t two inches from his head and stabbed into the ring’s floor.

"Von! Stop this already, Max don't hurt him! Please!" Max froze as Elspeth's voice called as she pushed through the massive crowd that had gathered until her hands landed on the ring's mat. Max didn’t want to end to fight however harming someone who was already hurt was not something Max was going to be known for. As Max released his pressure on Von’s blade Kedna emerged from the mat as a shadow until he became a solid object again.
“Max, front gate NOW!” Max glanced at his companion with curiosity “It’s Iku.” Max sheathed both his blades and mounted Kedna’s back.

“Get everyone into the castle who cannot fight and anyone who can to the front gates.” Max yelled at the Knights.

“Why?!” one yelled back as Kedna ran through the arena’s wall and straight to the city’s main gate.

-----Max’s POV-----


He really hated it when Kedna used dark magic to go through objects. It always made him feel weird; even if it was supposed to be a natural skill to him he hated it every time. Kedna’s head and front paws started passing through the brick arena wall, his hind legs and Max shortly followed. Max held his breath as his hand dissolved through the solid wall. Darkness covered everything around them but only for a moment. Moments later he felt a light breeze and took a new breath. Kedna’s body flew out of the wall as his front paws touched the ground his hind legs curved behind him, leaving scratches on the roadway. He dashed forward, not hesitating a second to long. Max held onto the hair just above Kedna’s wither, he had done it so many times it was a second nature to him. Kedna raced past citizens, some moving out of the way on their own accord but others Kedna seemed to pass by without a problem.

“Where was she last you checked?” Max asked as they passed the blacksmith’s shop and workshop. Kedna was not in a hurry to reply, Max knew that once the stubborn dog had something set in his mind nothing could get in the way of it.

“Outside of Reikon village, about 20 minutes away from it. And I am sure she is riding on something fast.”

“Fast?” Max thought out loud as Kedna jumped over someone’s cart of vegetables and tried his best not to hit anyone.

“Like a dragon or I don’t know one of Garth’s…”

“I got it.” Max interrupted, he knew what Iku was capably of – well what she was capably of 7 years ago, but Garth was an entirely different problem he did not want to mess with. A mage of space and dark magic is one thing; a highly trained dark elvish knight of the royal empire was another. Kedna slowed his speed down as they got closer to the gate.

It wasn’t the most impregnable wall but it held its own against rouge demons and the occasional outbreak of war that actually involved Kaze Kingdom, a plus of being a floating island 1000 miles above the rest of the world. Max couldn’t help but grin as he remembered his first trip up to the ‘Great Sky Realm of Vahalla’ or so his mother called it.

“You focused Max?” Kedna asked looking over his fury shoulder.

“Is that a hint of worry I since?” Max mocked the wolf followed by a deep growl under Kedna’s breath. “Don’t worry I have a cleared mined when it comes to them.” Max un-straddled Kedna as they approached the soldiers on duty. “Act natural.” Max whispered to Kedna

“I know how to act when around guards, BAKA.” Kedna snarled at Max, trying to play Kedna off as a pet dog was extremely difficult, especially when dogs don’t talk. As they got closer, Max waved at one of the soldiers who didn’t even flinch as they went through the gate.

“That was easier than other times.” Kedna said picking up speed alongside Max

“Yeah I wonder WHO could make sneaking in and out of cities so hard.” Max said glancing down at Kedna who simple ignored him.

“Sorry I didn’t catch that, what about me kicking your ass every day for three years.” Kedna sneered at Max as he turned his face to see Max, who had a smile larger than he ever would inside walls. “Well
let’s get going shall we.” Kedna said as he shifted behind Max and slowly lowered into Max’s shadow. Max kept a steady running pace as Kedna’s ears, and head appeared just in front of Max. Kedna’s body slowly arose from beneath Max, his legs still running as he grabbed onto Kedna’s fur. Kedna rose completely out from the shadows and ran like there was no tomorrow, and if Iku had her way there wouldn’t be.


As they reached the far outskirts of the city Max saw what was becoming of Reikon village. Deep ember flames sparked high above the streets, they resembled fireflies. Those who had fled where reach Max and Kedna screaming, with horror on their faces and uncontrollable tears running down most of their faces. Max felt like a dagger pierced his gut time after time.

“It’s all my doing.” He said as Kedna cautiously walked toward the heat. Kedna kept his nose high hopefully he could smell the beast before it showed itself. Dragons where known for many things – a strive to keep all that is gold; the first creatures to not fear fire; but they were best known for the poisonous smoke that lit in flames wherever they went. However Max had gone against one other dragon before, it didn’t care for food, nor did it wish to live but if a dragon is provoked enough it strives for death. Max was very familiar with rouge dragons and that they were born to hide within their own smoke and flames, each a different color and each had a different flame.

Kedna watched as he walked stepping over ever rock and stick that could make a sound and watching the burning buildings to make sure nothing fell onto them. Kedna never used magic when searching for a dragon and Max found out why the hard way many years ago. Kedna came to a halt as a shadow quickly passed behind them shortly followed by a massive screech; Kedna winced as he thrashed his head back and forth. Max watched the shadowy figure as best he could however when you try and follow a dragon you should never keep your eyes on one spot to long.

“Be…” Kedna started but the dragon’s sharp vocals caused him to sway back and forth, his paws moved unwilling to stay in one place. Max slide of his back and grabbed Kedna’s head, covering his ears the best he could.

“You have to tell me. What is it?” Max said into Kedna’s left ear. Kedna glared up at Max who was watching him carefully. Kedna began to speak when a great wind began to hurl the flames all around. A dragon stood upon one of the buildings, its dark wings where massive in length as they folded back behind the creatures head and rested against its sides.

“It’s so good to see you.” A voice echoed through the fiery city, it was definitely female. A woman stood on the dragons shoulders. As she spoke the dragon lowered its head to make her completely visible. “Max Tsuki.” The corners of her lips curled as icy eyes stared down at him.

“Iku.” Max stood his hands clinched into fists, his eyebrows lowered and his eyes narrowed. He ground his teeth at the sight of the woman who help with the murder of his parents 7 years ago.

----Max's POV----


No matter how he looked at it Iku was responsible for their death, but not just her Majic and Garth both were going to pay for what had happened. He watched as she slide from the dragons nose to the ground, her toes touched the ground as she looked at him. She never liked wearing clothes or shoes ever since she was small. However being a young adult Max thought she would have at least worn something less revealing, he really did not expect her to still wear almost nothing. Her feet and legs were covered with long, tight black leggings with some holes in them that went to her mid-thigh, the outsides were longer than the insides. The outside tops had purple roses on the outside with thin strings attached to her underwear, which were very visible. They were also purple and very tight against her toned legs, they were almost a size to small for her to be wearing. Her bellybutton and lower abdomen were smooth and a darker skin tone than Max's. Her laced top covered her nibbles and lower breasts, but just barely, it went down in a triangle shape toward her abdomen. At the center was a golden wolf clasp that held a blue-green and purple half cloak which wrapped under her arms and around her hips; just touching the ground. with its rag like bottom. Her sleek and smooth arms had gloves covering them from her elbow to her fingertips. She still had her pure white hair, a more natural color for dark realm citizens, except the royal family. She also had a collar, it was dark purple and black, the front had two separate metal work that where attached by an amethyst colored cloth which was tied off by a small bow at her lower neck.

She walked toward Max with her eyes glued to him like a child looking at a candy shoppe. Max stepped back with one foot and placed his hands on his swords hilt and sheath. He near better than to letter her come to close, she could use magic after all.

"Don't be like that. Aren't we friends, M A X." she said running a finger down her lips extremely slowly. She smiled as she got closer and her eyes became cooler the longer she stared at him. "Why do you two have to look so much alike? It's just no fun that way." she said as she paused in her walking.


Max's eye widened as she spoke, he knew who she was thinking of and he did not want to remember that bastards face any more than he had to.

"I suppose it isn't all bad, at least while I kill you I can get off by it." her disappointed face quickly changed to a sadistic smile when she said that. Max watched as Iku placed one of her hands in front of her and showed the palm toward him. "Rhewi" as she said the word her hand lite up with purple lights and a goldish tinted colored light flew straight to Max.

"Move BAKA!" Kedna yelled at Max who had not been paying attention to her since she spoke about Majic. He glanced up just before jumping and sliding out of the way. The light hit a small shed which iced over once the light dissipated.

"You haven't been practicing well M A X." She looked over at him as he stood. He unsheathed his blade and held it with both hands and pointed it at her. "Come now Max, there is no need for swords. You could always use that."

"Shut up!" Max said as Iku finished, he watched the ground as his old memories flowed back quickly.

"What you don't want that power, the power your parents died protecting. The power that you stole! From its rightful owner!" Iku spat out as her pupils dilated and got smaller. "You don't want to remember it is all your fault. That he became the way he is because you did the one thing you were told not to."

"Shut up. Shut up. I don't want to hear it!" Max's mind flashed with memories from so long ago, he didn't want to remember those days not now not ever.

----Kedna's POV-----

"Max?" Kedna said looking at his companion who now looked like a scared boy with one hand clinching his hair and the other barely clinching his sword. Kedna watch Max as he sat on the ground, his legs where practically ready to fall even farther to the ground. A sigh came from Kedna's nose as he lifted his head to Iku's direction. "I will warn you just once, witch." he barked. Iku's eye's narrowed onto the wolf's face.

"You dare threaten me, DOG!" She yelled while half laughing and lifting her arm once more. "Now be a good boy and STAY!" She said whispering "Rhewi" shortly after. Kedna stood in front of the kneeling Max and dug his claws into the earth.

"cysgod gard" he whispered as the light got closer. Once the light hit Kedna turned his head slightly to the right while closing his eyes and waited for the dust to settle. Iku's laughter filled Kedna's ears as he returned looking at her. Iku's smile faded as she saw Kedna standing just as before his eyes were a dark ember, almost golden colored, now stared straight at her. His lips pulled apart as his ivory teeth parted. His snout cringed and his eyes sharpened with nothing but anger reflecting in them. His jaws were ready to bit, his teeth ready to tear, and his legs lowered slightly reading himself for a quick motion.

"I warned you witch. Don't tempt ME!" Kedna snapped at her. Iku watched the wolf carefully and looked down at the ground just in front of him.

"My, my. A wolf who can use magic. Now that is quit the sight. I thought you all had died in the raids. Perhaps you can fight me but you cannot fight against a dark elf and a dark mage. Can you?" Iku spoke placing one hand across the lower part of her chest, using it to hold her other elbow. Her fingers laid limp in front of her mouth as a smile creeped across her face.

Kedna stood his ground until a shadow caught his attention, from above. He shot his eyes to the sky as a black phoenix circled the ground he stood on. 'Shit' He thought glancing back at Max who was still incapable of fighting.

-Kedna's POV-

The air brushed through Kedna's short fur, as condensation escaped his cringed snout. Saliva coated his tongue as it brushed against sharp, ivory canines; the occasional drop hitting the growled. His ears were pulled forward, while his lips tucked up. Four black paws stood firm to the earth's soil, as he lowered his head while his eyes had a flare of fiery rage in them. Although his head was lowered he kept his nose tilted up to smell. Deep rumbles came from his throat when Iku tried moving. Kedna stepped forward slowly causing dust to lift from the earth; his eyes keeping track of the shadow of a phoenix.

'This is bad. I can't fight both of them, even with my power.' Kedna thought grinding his teeth. The shadow grew bigger within seconds and Iku pointed her staff at Kedna with a grin stretching across her checks.

"Bye-bye puppy." She said as a purple glow apeared on the tip of her staff. Kedna barked loudly as the light spiraled toward him. An explosion caused the ground to dust up, rocks and sticks flew about. "Stupid mutt.” Iku said lying her staff across her left shoulder. She walked toward the still stiff Max.

“You really shouldn’t lower your guard ‘big brother’.”

“Take your own advise, witch!” a deep bark came from Kedna as he lunged and snapped for Iku’s throat. She hit him with her staff, only just getting out of his range. Kedna slid across the bare ground snarling at Iku as he caught his ballance.

“You just don’t die.” She glared at Kedna as she readied her staff again.

“Not by someone at you level, or as useless as you – Witch.” Kedna said mocking her.

“Shut up!!!” she said as the purple light began glowing again.

“Kedna!” Elspeth’s voice caught Kedna’s ear as he glanced back to her. “What’s wrong with Max? Why isn’t he moving?”

“Get him out of the way.”

“But...”

“NOW!!!” Kedna snarled as she questioned him. “Your both useless right now, so leave.” Elspeth watched Kedna and the woman stare one another down. Elspeth started dragging Max by his shoulders toward the city’s gates when a large black bird landed near the woman, although smoky flames replaced its feathers. The creature faded leaving a dark skined man in its place. The pointed ears and carcoal like skin tone made Kedna’s hair stand up. He could handle Iku and her magic, however fighting a dark elf while he was not at the top of his game was not something he wanted to try.

“Iku I’ll take care of the dog you get Max from the girl.” Garth said to Iku as the phonex returned to his body and he closed the gap between them.

“I can handle them alone!” she snapped at him

“Knock it off Iku, we aren’t here for blood just the stone and Max – so calm down.” He placed his hand on her staff and slowly lowered it, though she losened her grip she glared at Garth the entire time.

“Kedna.” Bria-day said from behind Elspeth, who was having problems dragging Max. “I will take care of them. Make sure Max and Elspeth are kept safe.” She said walking past Elspeth and up to Kedna’s side.

“Need a hand?” Scarlet looked down at Elspeth how was still trying to get Max to the city gates. She nodded and smiled at Scarlet.

“We could just leave him here, no one would notice.” Von said standing behind Scarlet, who took it upon herself to hit him on the back of his head. “God dammit!! What!?”

“You grab his legs, we’ll each take an arm.” Scarlet said happy to help Elspeth and Max out.

“Bria-day you cannot fight him! He is not a normal human, he’s...”

“A dark elf from the ancient city that lies within the ice caverns in the far north. I am aware. You are in no condition to fight, even with the power you posses.” She said glancing down at Kedna who looked shocked by the fact that she knew everything he was going to say.

“Your sure you can handle him?” Kedna asked slowly backing up.

“If the day that I do not win a battle comes today then I will except that, however until I cannot use magic even a little I will fight him here. You should be at Max’s side by now, my divine friend.” She smiled, nodded her head and walked Kedna turn and run to the others.

“What the pup tuck tail and run?” Iku mocked as she say Kedna turn.

“Your opponent will be me from now on.” Iku released another shot from her staff at Kedna.

“Heed my call ancient deity of darkness, listen well to the story I have to tell. Protection is what I ask of tho and power over my enemy is what I seek. Divindade!” Briad-day whispered standing between Kedna and the magic Iku released.

“Fine, die whatever. You shouldn’t have gotten in the way, stup girl.” Iku laughed

“I told you.” Iku’s laughter came to a stop as she and Garth looked at Bria-day whose eyes where an icy blue and her body was completely unharmed. “Your opponent will be me. Let us begin.” Garth stared at her as she walked out of the dust and came into perfect view. In her left hand she held a spear made from ice magic, while her right was covered in water magic that circulated her hand in a figure eight shape.

Clear water washed over Bria-day's hand as she starred at Garth, he was no ordinary person - that much she knew. His skin was far to dark to be anything but Dark Elf or from the fire realm of Hia (fire civilization), however the ancient race of dark elves were long wiped out.

"Leave before you get hurt little boy." She could handle a fire mage or soldier.

"Patience is a virtue don't you know." he said, his tone was high for a Kasai (someone born in the realm of Hia).

"Just leave, or I will get serious." she really did not like to fight and she got worn out from it.

"You heard her Iku, get back to Majik before he tries anything ridiculous." He glared at his comrade until she did as he asked.

"Return by two moons, or I will assume you dead." she said seating herself on top of the dragon she rode to Kaze. Though the wind picked up and the ground became dusty and almost impossible to see through Bria-day did not move nor open her eyes.

"You shouldn't let your guard down, chibi!" Garth said lunging straight for Bria-day's throat.

"I never do." she moved, with grace, out of the line of his small blade however in the same motion she grabbed his cloak and swiped her spear behind his knees. She blinked when he jumped over it and behind her. Not a moment later his blade was against the back of her neck.

"You are not from the realm of Hia." she said calmly looking back at him only moving her eyes.

"And you are not from this realm, no wind soldier nor mage could avoid and attack someone like that, let along myself. So who are you, little miss?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." she barely smiled as she disappeared into a small drop of water below her.

"So you know good water magic." Garth looked around keeping his eyes on all the small puddles of water, she wasn't the best but she was no beginner.

"It's polite to introduce yourself first." Bria-day said her entire body reappeared to Garth's left in three seconds. She kicked him to the ground, pulling her spear out of her icy colored hand and pointing it at Garth's adams apple.

"Now who a..re... you." She starred at his face, the thing that surprised her wasn't his elvish ears, nor the royal blue earring in his left ear, but the black outlined wolf tattoo that covered him.

"Scared?" he said pushing her off. Bria-day pushed three small ice daggers into his cloak. "O' scary." he smiled until a tear drop hit his face. "Wha..." his eyes widened as he looked over her face.

"Your a Dark Elf."

Bria-day stared at her enemy - but he wasn't really her enemy, he was a dark elf. She didn't think any of them survived after the war began. But sure enough there he stood, in the flesh.

"It is not possible. The dark elvish race was all but killed off years ago." She said to Garth.

"Your the one who made the acusation not me." his eyes were of an assassin, cold, empty, and ruthless. Bria-day knew all to well how dark elves were known best for there military, though the entire army only counted 100 soldiers and they used no weapons the dark elves were the most feared realm in all of Vahalla. That was until about ten years ago when a traitor and the Kurai kingdom completely destroyed the city and murdered every dark elf from fisherman to the King himself.

"If your a dark elf that means you betrayed the royal family you vowed to protect."

"Its none of your business." With Garth's words Bria-day felt like her heart stopped, her eyes widened.

"Not... not my." she stopped short, her mind went blank. She was so frustrated, she couldn't think - it wasn't like her. But he was the reason all the dark elves were dead.

"What now your to scared to attack, suits me fine." Garth said turning around and walking away.

"I won't let you leave here without paying for what you did!" Bria-day yelled. Garth stopped, he hadn't heard that one before, he turned to see something he wasn't expecting.

Bria-day's eyes looked like a faded mixed of colors, they glistened with anger. Her entire body seemed to glow with energy. Garth couldn't believe his eyes when he saw her braid come undone and showed her ears. They were pointed, elvish - something not so rare were she an earth elf, however the black mark that appeared on her forehead caused his legs to almost drop. A black outline of a wolf simmered with her anger.

The one person he allowed to live out of his unreasonable feelings for her stood before him with complete anger, hatred, and distrust; her only thought was to have him completely disappear.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


MadisHeart said...
on Jun. 28 2013 at 11:58 am
MadisHeart, Norman, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 38 comments
OMG yes yes yes, I love the idea of this story, nice work! :) The imagery is beautiful and I seriously love the character names. I think our category (action-adventure) is definetly the best ;) I think our books have similar aspects and you might like mine so you should check it out! Have a nice day

Elspeth said...
on Mar. 25 2013 at 1:36 pm
Elspeth, Pekin, Illinois
0 articles 3 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every hello is the prologue to an unfortunate ending so as people we must create as many stories as we can!

Thanks and I will go check it out right now

on Feb. 21 2013 at 5:03 pm
ElspethF BRONZE, Kirkwood, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When one door closes you can either wait for another one to open or break in through a window"

Hi name buddy! lol. I love what I've read so far! Maybe clean up the beginning with a little paragraphing? I hate to be one of those people but could you please check out my short story? It's my very first post and I'm very nervous. Thanks. Keep up the good work!