Star Wars: A Shipper's Point of View | Teen Ink

Star Wars: A Shipper's Point of View

On December 15, 2017, I eagerly settled into the cushy seat of the movie theatre. My breath hitched as the opening title sprang onto the screen accompanied by the telltale theme music. I had no idea what to expect as the scrawl that preceded the movie gradually faded off into the nothingness of space. In an attempt to stifle my excitement, I shoveled a handful of popcorn into my mouth and leaned back in my fancy reclining chair to enjoy The Last Jedi.

As a forewarning, I would like to mention that there will be spoilers for The Last Jedi in this article. For those who live under a rock and haven't yet viewed this film, I advise you to move on to one of the many other fascinating literary works in this magazine.

Contrary to what you think, this is not a review for The Last Jedi. I apologize; the first paragraph was a bit misleading. I needed to grab your attention. Today, I'll be discussing a controversial topic within the Star Wars community: ships. No, no. Not the Star Destroyer or the Millennium Falcon. I'm talking about the terminology for romantic pairings. Star Wars is a massive franchise with a multitude of characters and an even larger fanbase. With that being said, the number of ships is beyond plentiful. However, there's one in particular that I have a bone to pick with, and what I say next might determine whether you love or hate me. I have an issue with the ship, Reylo. I promise I have a valid reason why; I'm not hating without purpose. Please, Reylo-shippers, hear me out. Give me a chance to explain why I think the way I do, and then you can decide what to do with this information.
I can sort of see where Reylo fans are coming from. We're all suckers for romantic pairings that stem from opposition and hatred, and thanks to Rian Johnson, we have a hefty handful of shipping material (Like, come on. At least one of those scenes could've been replaced by a glimpse into Snoke's backstory which was conveniently absent. Now he's dead, and I know next to nothing about him). Maybe if Rey and Kylo didn't mutually despise each other, they could have created some kind of supernatural balance to the Force that might have led to a gradual repair of the galaxy. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Kylo's main motive was to destroy the Resistance, where Rey's loyalties lie. Rey represents the resistance wholeheartedly. Would she really abandon her friends—the people who loved and appreciated her and made her feel like she was finally worth something—to join this maniac who menacingly apprehended, abducted, and, pardon my phrasing, mind-raped her for information in the previous movie? I don't care how tragic his backstory is or how beautiful his face is; Kylo Ren is not someone whom I would trust. Pasts like theirs aren't easily swept under the rug and are perfect bases for an abusive, toxic relationship. Rey attempted to coax Ben Solo out of the rough, damaged shell that is Kylo Ren, but I hate to say that Kylo is probably beyond redemption at this point. Rey tried so hard to bring him back to the light because he would be a valuable asset to the Resistance, and no one deserves to go through what he went through. All souls deserve the chance to be saved.

But some people are too far gone to be helped.

I could understand the possibility of Rey forming some sort of attachment to Ben Solo, but any remnants of Ben were snuffed out when he murdered his father. Only Kylo Ren remains, simply an empty exoskeleton of the former Jedi padawan, and that monster does not deserve any sympathy after all the damage he's inflicted upon the galaxy. He's the Resistance's biggest threat, and Rey knows the only thing left to do is defeat him. He's just another obstacle in the path of the Resistance, and Rey will dutifully work towards eliminating him. If I were in that situation, I would devote my heart and soul to the demise of the man who slaughtered thousands of my people and tortured, abused, and manipulated me. Also, being in a relationship, not even necessarily of a romantic nature, with a person who takes out his anger on anything in his path with a lightsaber—including innocent people—is highly risky. I wouldn't want to be in the position of one of the control panels he's wreaked havoc on in a fit of blind rage.

I could go on about how much of a scumbag Kylo is (despite how attractive he is) and how Rey deserves better, but I don't want to be that person. I totally understand why Reylo is such a beloved ship; I'm just stating why I believe that, realistically, they would be the opposite of a match made in heaven. Rey has endured so much hardship, and Kylo would be detrimental to her health. Think what you will. I'm not going to force my beliefs down your throat. It's merely a suggestion. I try not to bother with Reylo content (you wouldn't believe how much Reylo stuff I've had to whoosh away from my Tumblr feed). I would, however, highly recommend the ship, Stormpilot. It's pure fluff and something we could all agree on, am I right?

I'm sorry if this offends anyone; I tried to put it as lightly as I could. Everyone is valid in the Star Wars fandom. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you should shame someone who does. People are entitled to their own opinions. This is just mine. Whether you ship Reylo or not, I hope you all have a fabulous day, and may the Force be with you!

This is a popular yet unpopular opinion that I have been harboring, and I'm looking to find people who share my views. I'm not looking for a dispute. I just hope that those who don't agree with me would at least give it a read and see where I'm coming from.

GeneralCornyCornCorn BRONZE, Hampton, Georgia
Frickin yes

love chicken said...
on May. 18 2018 at 9:05 am
Yeet. I love it! You are so talented! And even though I don't like reading...I read the whole thing...and I appreciated it