Trade (Gifts for trading land with white people.) | Teen Ink

Trade (Gifts for trading land with white people.)

By JenDovehaven PLATINUM, Pohang Kyeungbuk Heunghae-ub Namsongri 3, Other
JenDovehaven PLATINUM, Pohang Kyeungbuk Heunghae-ub Namsongri 3, Other

Trade (Gifts for trading land with white people.) was made with oil paint and mixed media on canvas. The artist prominently features the color red in this work of art as the color represented five things to her, blood, warfare, anger, sacrifice, and her native American heritage. The picture is a collage that the painted over in blocky colors with a near life sized canoe in the center. The collage is consisting of pages from books featuring native americans, and newspaper stories about them. It is very ugly. The painting is referring to the time where Indians sold the Dutch Massachusetts for $24.00 There is a lot of symbolism. The top of the painting is strung with toys, a bow, an Indian headdress, etc. to represent how native American values are being turned into jokes. It is not in the least realistic. It was created as a response to the 500dreth anniversary of Columbus Day. No, it is made of cheap materials, paint, canvas, paper scraps, and plastic toys. Once again the artist has used color to further our emotions, along with nonflattering pictures of her people. That creats emotion. There were two cultures that impacted the work. The first modern art, as shown in the splotchy colors and bits of junk littered about in it, and the second native American culture shown in the rough image of a boat in it’s midst, and the natural colors of blue red and yellow in the work.The artist was Jaune Quick to See Smith. Made in the USA. Modern art is the style. Made on the 500th Columbus day.