Beauty of Italy | Teen Ink

Beauty of Italy

September 19, 2017
By allycolella BRONZE, Auburn, New York
allycolella BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Travelling is something that should not be taken for granted. It can be so rewarding. I believe that everyone should visit somewhere new in their life whether it be with family or travel abroad in college. Personally, being able to travel allows me to spread my wings. My trip across the ocean was definitely one I will never forget. Through my travels to the glorious country of Italy, I learned to appreciate not only the beauty in the world, but also the beauty of life.


As I entered into Italy I immediately noticed the difference in architecture. Everywhere I looked, I saw massive structures covered in brick and concrete. The history of these buildings goes back thousands of years, yet they’re still standing. Walking through Venice is not like walking through any other city. Picture a typical city, but with water instead of roads. Venice has no cars, therefore no streets. There are instead very small alleyways everywhere you go that make you feel as if you were trapped in a walled city. Since there are no cars, people travel by boats. There is one main strip of water and other smaller waterways surrounding it. It was truly an amazing experience being able to see how these people get to work and school. 


The waterways in Venice were definitely something different, but the cobblestone streets in Rome were as well. While driving through the streets of Rome, I could feel all of the bumps of individual stones. The uniqueness of the streets brought in the rich history of the city. They matched the established buildings that lined the city with their straight lines and aging architecture. Everywhere I looked in Rome, there would be a new piece of history in view. Whether it’s the Circus Maximus or the Pantheon, there was always something to discover. Architecture is one thing that can grab one’s attention in an instant while also telling stories of the people who built it.


There were certain pieces of history that intrigued me the most. While in Venice, I noticed these two white hands emerging from the water. These hands were a symbol of so much more than just art. They represented global warming and the rising waters. The way the hands were placed made it seem as if there was a person under the water struggling. They were a message to all those who lived and travelled to Venice. The hands grasped onto the building nearby as if looking for help.


While travelling through Rome, there was one piece of architecture that stood out, it was the Colosseum. The structure of the building was so different from the rest. It had curved lines instead of ordinary straight lines and right angles. The Colosseum was also not as put together as those around it. There were pieces missing and cracking all around it which is what makes it so special. One last piece that caught my eye in Italy was the renowned Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was amazing to me that just a simple building with ordinary architecture could have such fame. However, once I saw the tower I understood why. It was a simple building with an intriguing aspect to it. Certain buildings or structures can have such a big impact on their surroundings.


It was not just the history of the country that fascinated me, but also the experiences that I endured. A gondola is one popular way to travel through Venice. The feeling I got while sitting there watching the inhabitants of Venice go on with their day was wonderful. I felt as if I was a part of them. While I was on the gondola, I could also see all of the pieces of history and life of the Venetians that I missed while walking. The ride through the waters was very peaceful and allowed me to be in the moment and appreciate the beauty around me.  When in Rome, I had the opportunity to discover the beautiful city by segway. It was a very hot day and to be able to take a break from walking was very rejuvenating. It helped me take in the sights of the city and life of the people. Seeing Rome from the segway was such a different perspective. I was able to interact with the Romans more. Most of the time, the experiences are worth so much more in that they allow you take memories back with you and enjoy the visit as a whole.


I saw the beauty of Italy by travelling it's well-known cities and seeing first hand what made them beautiful. After my visit, I began to see life differently. I appreciate things more and learned to look at the things around me differently. I was rewarded with memories that will last a lifetime. Hopefully one day everyone will be able to explore a new country and see the beauty in it as I did. Travelling will improve your life and make you love the experiences more than the material possessions in life.