The Fourth of July | Teen Ink

The Fourth of July

By emilyymead BRONZE, Auburn, New York
emilyymead BRONZE, Auburn, New York

The aroma surrounding hamburgers and hotdogs sizzling on the grill, the way the sky lights up after dark when the first round of fireworks is set off and the essence of sparklers, that to me is the Fourth of July. On this holiday of celebration, we as Americans come together as one with patriotic events/activities, cookout style foods and cheery colors of red, white and blue. The Fourth of July is not only a day of enjoyment in the United States but it is also a day to get away from everything that divides us as Americans and instead, bring us all together.

The Fourth of July is usually a very busy, yet fun filled day for most American families. We celebrate the day the United States gained independence with parades, cookouts, bonfires, and boat days. At all of these various venues, we are surrounded by rowdy crowds ready to celebrate, people dressed so vibrantly in red ,white and blue and the sound of booming patriotic music. Locally, there is a firework show every year at Owasco Lake, some hang out in boats on the serene waters, while others gather up their cozy blankets and coolers full of goodies to enjoy throughout the show and try to find a spot at the lake or high school. Hours before the fireworks are set off, roads around the lake start to get closed off along with the immense amount of traffic and police using radiant light up cones to direct the cars. The firework show is filled with various intense colors that just glisten in the sky. Many families make it a tradition to do sparklers every Fourth of July, my family included. The light from the sparklers just luminates in the air, along with the vivid smell that trails behind for minutes after the sparkler has gone out. The smell of sparklers is what I personally associate the closest with the Fourth of July, no matter what time of year, when a sparkler is lit, I think of the Fourth of July.  Everyone celebrates the Fourth of July in their own way whether it's a bonfire or a cookout, regardless of the occasion, this holiday is one that brings family/friends along with whole communities together. Not only does it bring us together, it helps to remind us that we should be thankful for all the freedom, we as Americans have today.

Nothing brings people together better than exceptional food. Not only does the Fourth of July come with amusing events/activities, but the unbelievable cookout style foods being served are just to die for. Nothing exceeds the tang of the aromas in the air like the hotdogs, hamburgers and sweet-baby rays covered chicken emanating the neighborhood. It's hard to choose what to pair with your meat of choice, there’s so many options, a fluffy snowflake roll or a buttery bun. Not only that, but there are also various multicolored condiments, to go along with it. Several side dishes, include what most of us see as comfort food. Grandmas macaroni salad, to uncle Tom's beer braised baked beans with applewood smoked bacon, it’s all a hit at the family cookouts. The buttery, seared corn on the cob is sure to please everyone's palates. Not only the main dishes, but snacks are used to hold people over until the main dish like chips and dip along with juicy watermelon to cool you down on the hot, sweltering summer, July day. Along with the sparklers and fireworks, most end the day by cuddling up next to the warm bonfire, where marshmallows are roasted to top off the most American dessert, a s'more.

Red, white and blue, the most patriotic colors of all. Most people spruce up their homes along with their outfits with these three colors because they represent the American flag. The fifty white stars on the flag, represent the fifty states, while the thirteen red and white stripes represent the thirteen colonies, that declared independence from Great Britain. White signifies purity and innocence, red signifies valor and bravery and lastly blue signifies vigilance, perseverance and justice. These terms that represent the colors, helped America gain their independence and are words to live by everyday. In order to gain freedom, Americans had to join as one, just like today, in order to fight for what we believe we must come together.

“I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know i'm free”(Greenwood). Overall, the Fourth of July is as American as it gets, our men fought for our freedom, and do fight and die for us everyday. Even though the fourth is a day of celebration for us, the true meaning is so much more than that. The freedom and privileges we are given as Americans, can be credited to this day. This holiday is a day for fun but also a day to bring us together as one, and celebrate our freedom, rights and respect to our country.