Caber Toss | Teen Ink

Caber Toss

By bergsjam001 BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah
bergsjam001 BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah

Did you know that the log or caber used in the scottish sport of, caber tossing, is 175 pounds? (79 kg.) Caber tossing is when a person picks up a caber or log that’s usually 19 feet tall and weighs 175 pounds and throws it as far as they can. The caber toss is infamous for being one of the most difficult sports out there. This sport is very popular at the highland games which has been held in Scotland each year since the 11th century! Caber tossing requires a lot and has a lot to it. A good diet and keeping in shape, the technique you use to throw the log, and just the basic rules of the popular Scottish sport that has a long history.

The caber toss has “been held at the highland games since the 11th century.” (windsorscottish) The caber toss has been around for a very long time and “has a deep heritage in the land of scotland” (windsorscottish) The history of the caber toss is elusive but the “ term 'caber' derives from the Gaelic word "cabar" or "kaber" which refers to a rafter or beam.” (roundhill) One of the most prominent legends surrounding the caber toss is that it started on the battlefield when scottish soldiers had to throw logs across rivers to use as a quickly-made bridge or to enter an enemy fortress during wars and battles.

The rules of the caber toss can be very simple or very complex and difficult to understand.

When the thrower “throws” the caber it is scored on a clock like basis so “Imagine that the thrower is standing on the 6:00 mark, then the caber must break the vertical plane between 9:00 and 3:00.”  (roundhill) Then the judge will score the caber based on “where it hits the ground in direct relation to the thrower's shoulders.” (roundhill) If one wants to be precise and perfect, a  perfect execution is called “a twelve-o'clock turn, where the caber falls straight away from where the thrower released it, or 12:00 on the clock face.” (roundhill) The scoring of the game is clock based, it can either be very confusing, or simple to those who understand the game.

You can’t compete in the game if you don’t know how to throw the log. First you must lift the log off the ground carefully a foot at a time. But in order to do this you must be very strong and “It takes 20 lbs of muscle to generate even 1 HP so 3 HP would be 60 lbs of upper body muscle.  That's a lot of muscle mass so it would require a big guy” (science20) So those who play the game practically have to dedicate all their time to it. Many say running with the log is the most dangerous part, “so running can be a terrific differentiator in tossing success.” (science20.) Once you have the running part down, it is time to throw the caber. What you need to do is “push up and out. You want to flip the Caber so that the larger end hits the ground but then falls over in a straight line so the tapered end is perpendicular to your shoulders.” (science20) once you do that, congratulations, you just threw a 150 pound log.

So the sport of caber tossing is not the easiest one out there due to how you need the skills, the knowledge of the rules, and if you want to, the history of the elusive game. Caber tossing will always be at the highland games in Scotland and if you’re ever in Scotland while they’re going on. Go and watch, there’s so much more than just caber tossing to the games. It is a very fun and exciting event that many love watching.