The Mandela Effect | Teen Ink

The Mandela Effect

By jenna.elsh BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
jenna.elsh BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Have you ever remembered something so vividly, but your friend or family member remembered it a completely different way? Well, this instance is a result of a very intriguing conspiracy theory known as, the Mandela Effect. The Mandela Effect is described as a theory that suggest that there are parallel universes and the world has been going in and out of them unknowingly for years, causing very subtle, yet extremely mind-boggling abnormalities and false memories.

In the 1980s, Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa and a very influential person to many people around the world, was sent to prison for 27 years for standing up for what he believed in. Mandela went against the government while defending colored peoples’ rights, and the government portrayed this as a crime. During his imprisonment, a large portion of the world believed that Mandela had died while serving his long years in prison, but on December 5, 2013, the world was shocked to find out, that Mandela had died…again. Great deals of people were extremely perplexed because they had sworn that they remembered Mandela dying in prison 20+ years prior. Thus sparking the idea of the worldwide known conspiracy theory, the Mandela Effect.

One of the most well known Mandela Effects has to do with the popular air freshener company, Febreze. A majority of people, mostly people in America who are more familiar with this brand, specifically remember the air freshener being spelled, “f-e-b-r-e-e-z-e”, just like how it sounds when said aloud. However, there’s only one “e” between the “r” and the “z”. People began going crazy and questioning continuously why an air freshener that they see everyday in their house is spelled a completely different way than what they originally thought. Because this brand is so well known, it is very odd that so many people continuously misspell it.

Additionally, many children or parents that have children have read the book, The Berenstain Bears, that features a family of bears that always learns a new life lesson at the end of each short story. Many people, total strangers even, vividly recall this series of books being spelled “b-e-r-e-n-s-t-e-i-n” but again, that is not the case. Some merchandise of this book even has “Berenstein” with an “ein” at the end of it, rather than the correct ending of “ain”.  This instance clearly enforces that this universe is “merging” with other universes, causing very subtle, but noticeable changes in memories. Others believe that time machines have been invented and people from the future are traveling back in time and causing very small ripples in today’s reality along with people’s memories of the past.

Another example of this unbelievable Mandela Effect has to do with the very popular Queen song entitled, “We Are the Champions”. This song is extremely well known and almost everyone knows the strong, iconic ending of the song being, “of the world”. Weirdly enough, even though this line is said in the song, it was never at the very end of the song like everybody clearly remembers. Even in the classic Disney movie, “Chicken Little”, the young animated chicken sings Queen’s song and in fact adds on the “of the world” to the end of his short solo in his room. So, not only do people remember this part of the song so vividly, but it is also documented in a 2005 children’s’ film.

All in all, there are so many more Mandela Effect theories going around, but these are just to name a few. So, are people from the future really traveling back in time and making ripples in our present? Is the world really going through different parallel universes? I guess the future awaits us.