Coming to New Orleans | Teen Ink

Coming to New Orleans

By Sendzei GOLD, Sacramento, California
Sendzei GOLD, Sacramento, California

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." - Carol Burnett

Coming To New Orleans

Have you ever wondered how New Orleans is like? There’s a huge long bridge crossing the lake call Lake Pontchartrain. It’s even longer than the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. It makes the bridge super long because of the lake. Driving across got me thinking, Wow. I’ve never saw a lake this huge and long before.

Driving across the lake, i came along and saw this hotel. I decided to stop and went in to get myself a room. “Wow. This is so nice” I said to myself. The hotel price is $150 during Mardi Gras but it wasn’t Mardi Gras yet. It was 9:32 pm at that time. I tooked a quick shower then brushed my teeth and went to bed.

Next morning, I woke up out of bed at 8:56 am. I took a quick shower and got ready as fast as I can and also fixed my hair a bit. I walked out of the hotel and went inside my car. While I was warming up my car, I took out my phone and searched up Bourbon Street. My car was now ready to drive. As I drove on Bourbon street, I saw restaurants, bars, strip club and  etc.

I just had to stop by and try out their food. I can smell fresh food and something delicious. As I walk into one of the restaurants, I ordered myself a jambalaya. Jambalaya is one of their foods but it’s spicy. It tasted perfect. I tried out so many different food in New Orleans. Most of their food are deep fry. It’s unhealthy but it’s super good. After I ate, I continued browsing Bourbon Street for a bit then went home.

After coming back home, It was like 8 pm. I decided to sleep and shower the next morning. As I woke up,I went to shower and I suddenly heard people singing and playing music. I quickly rushed to get ready and walk out of the hotel to look at them play the music.

“Why are you guys playing music out here? Is this like an event?” I asked.

“No. Music is just a huge thing for us New Orleans people,” replied the lady.

“Oh I see,” I said.

“But this week is Mardi Gras week. You should come out and join one of our huge event,” she said.

“Okay. What time does it starts?” I questioned.

“It starts when it’s morning,” she replied. 

“Okay I will come out and join you guys,” I responded.

After all that happened, I decided to do laundry. I went back inside the hotel and packed the clothes. I took out my phone and searched up laundry places. I found one nearby and I brought the clothes into the car and drove to that laundry store. It took about 45 minutes for the laundry to be done. I went back to the hotel and took a shower and took a nap. It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon so I decided to take a nap. I woke up 4 hours later and it was 7 pm. I was very excited to go to the Mardi Gras so I went back to sleep so the night can be faster.

It was Mardi Gras week when I woke up. I was hyped and excited. I showered and got ready. I went out to the event and I was shock of how many people was there. The whole street was crowded, music was playing, and people was drinking. I stayed at the event throughout the whole day. I stayed there until 7pm because I needed to go pack up for the next day because I was going home.

It was the next day, and New Orleans was a blast for me. Although I  didn’t really do much, I still enjoyed every moment I had. Before I came back home, I went to look at the Mississippi River and I can feel that breeze. The environment felt chill and it was relaxful. On the way back home, I was sort of tired so I stopped somewhere and took a nap.

It was fun in New Orleans. You should come to New Orleans and try out their food.