Bright Lights in the Big City | Teen Ink

Bright Lights in the Big City

December 6, 2016
By Samantha MacDougall BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Samantha MacDougall BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A stranger once told me, “if you can fall in love with a place in the freezing rain, you’ll love it anytime else.” For me, that place is the one and only New York City. My thirteen year old self was welcomed by the Big Apple with pouring rain in the middle of July. Drops bounced off the fluorescent screens, crosswalks were flooded with puddles too big to simply jump over, my clothes were practically a second layer of skin they were so drenched, and I was utterly in love. The buzz of the cars mixing with the murmur of voices together, as each of us individually carried on our way throughout the city, the way my eyes raced back and forth trying to capture it all at once, the struggle over what restaurant to eat at next, or what five story tall outlet to shop in after. I had only stayed in New York for a total of about three days, but the atmosphere alone was enough to leave me longing to return even to this day. 


With over 24,000 places to eat, countless number of stores, hundreds of museums and historic sites, and more, there is plenty to do for every visitor of NYC. For the food buffs, hop on down to Planet Hollywood located in the center of Times Square, where each guest is surrounded by not only the actual costumes and props from movies such as Titanic, but the neon handprints of each celebrity that has dined there themselves. Or perhaps a nearby food vendor selling mouth-watering hot dogs and peanuts will satisfy your cravings. Historians will have a field day with monuments such as the Statue of Liberty that is accessible through a pleasurable ferry ride, The Empire State Building, the 9/11 Memorial, and Rockefeller Center. Those looking to discover more within the arts can attend a professional Broadway play or stroll through the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Museum of Modern Art. Fashionistas of the world can spend hours shopping within the multi-level stores the city has to offer such as Bloomingdale’s and Macy’s. Around every corner there is a unique clothing boutique or candy shop, deli or bookstore. During the winter, Rockefeller Center is transformed into a winter wonderland including a Christmas tree up to 125 feet tall and complimentary ice rink. On New Year’s Eve, hundreds of thousands of citizens gather together to celebrate the new year. There’s endless amounts of opportunities and possibilities awaiting within the bustling streets of NYC, each welcoming you with open arms, begging you to try, and experience, greater moments.


Traveling is made easy within the city with various modes of transportation such as taxis, ferries, busses, and the transit system. Regardless, most attractions are located within a reasonable distance of each other allowing tourists to see the sights and get their daily steps in! Hotels are sprawled all over the city, ranging from price depending on what you’re looking for, whether it be high end suites or the average single bedroom.


New York City is the place where memories are made. The energizing atmosphere alone is enough to excite and attract any tourist of all ages, mesmerizing them with its ability to feel like an entire world apart from their hometown. The best part of it all, there’s always something else to discover.


The author's comments:

I am currently enrolled in an online Journalism in the Digital Age course. Recently we were given the prompt to conduct a travel article on the destination of our choosing. Due to my fondness of it, I chose to write about the attractions, atmospheres, and experiences New York City has to offer.