Forever Alone February Fever | Teen Ink

Forever Alone February Fever

By SerenaDoan BRONZE, Kingwood, Texas
SerenaDoan BRONZE, Kingwood, Texas

Valentine’s Day is the most romantic, love-filled day of the year. Unfortunately, not everyone has a perfect partner to celebrate the day with. Because of this, teens, and even adults, get infected with Forever Alone February Fever.

Forever Alone February Fever is the state that single people enter due to their loneliness and longing of a romantic relationship. The infamous disease causes depression, jealousy, irritableness, and excessive weight gain. This illness is especially contagious on Valentine’s Day, hence the name.  As a result of this heartbreaking social problem, this article is created to teach all of the single ladies (and men) how to enjoy their Valentine’s Day without drowning themselves in ice cream or permanently damaging their eyes by binge-watching Netflix.

The immediate solutions that girls think of to cope with Forever Alone February Fever are negative to their health and mental state. The most common and tempting solution is to stuff their face with junk while watching sappy chick flicks. This method is ruinous for one’s well-being for countless reasons. It makes the lonesome teen yearn for a relationship even more so since they are staring at scripted couples’ cheesy cuteness for hours and hours on end. All of the miserable, melancholy scenes in the movies and TV shows, in which the girl is emotionally suffering and the male lead is a downright jerk, lead to an unnecessary waste of popcorn and possibly (if objects are flung around in the teen’s state of despair) a broken TV, which is not inexpensive. Not to mention all of the cavities one receives after showering their teeth with sugar. In conclusion to this statement, junk food and Netflix are never the answer.

Before getting into the more efficient and effective solutions for Forever Alone February Fever, the vital steps to overcoming the figurative hurdles to achieve happiness must be discussed.

The first step to curing Forever Alone February Fever is to veer away from those sappy chick flicks. Envisioning oneself in a fictional character’s life, which is not real, will make that person loathe their own position.  It is absolutely essential to never compare oneself to others. Skipping this step will result in suffering and hopeless expectations.

“Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.” ~ Oscar Wilde.

The simplest cures for Forever Alone February Fever are to volunteer, hang out with peers, and give valentines to friends and family. These solutions all involve other people because granting other individuals with happiness eventually causes the giver to receive happiness as well. Volunteering is a splendid way to get one’s mind off of being single while helping the community. Having a good conscience makes singleness much more bearable. Handing out cute, little valentines allows one to enjoy the holiday by sharing love and gratitude with friends and family. Company of any kind, besides unpleasant, infuriating contemporaries, has a good effect on one’s disposition. Research proves that being around other single companions helps diminish one’s loneliness by being able to relate to each other. As John Ray said once, “Misery loves company.”
Next, the more costly cures involve some self-spending, which is pretty self-explanatory. Sending yourself roses or chocolates is a cute way of reminding you to have fun on Valentine’s Day. Sadly this practice is viewed a narcissistic and pathetic in today’s society (I see absolutely nothing wrong with a little extra self-loving on Valentine’s day.), so roses and/or chocolates can be sent anonymously.  Pamper yourself by going to a spa, buying new clothes, getting a massage, etcetera. Convert Valentine’s Day from a couples’ celebration into an All-About-Me Day. This procedure exterminates the dread of Valentine’s Day and replaces it with eagerness and zeal.

These two last solutions are geared towards the outgoing, gregarious populace. The primary idea is to initiate an all-singles’ party. No couples are allowed! Socializing and having fun with other single people establishes long-lasting, pleasant memories. The delightful reminiscences will be associated to Valentine’s Day for the rest of your life, which turns a couples’ holiday into everyone’s holiday.

Finally, the more daring approach is to transform Valentine’s Day into Seek-a-Partner Day. Seek-a-Partner Day will give one a twenty-four-hour window to search for the perfect partner, boyfriend or girlfriend, so they won’t spend February 14th alone.

All in all, Valentine’s Day can be either an absolutely wonderful or horrendously terrible experience. It all depends on the person’s outlook, positive or negative. There are numerous steps and precautions that can be taken to change Forever Alone February Fever into a Single and Ready to Mingle attitude.