Trip of a Lifetime | Teen Ink

Trip of a Lifetime

By JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
JSundae SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

My whole trip began around spring break in 2015. My mom and I have our tickets to catch the plane going to Germany with my German teacher as well as another student and her mother. We went through customs like usual, which was about an hour, then waited for our terminal to be called so we could get on our plane. As we got on, I could feel the memories of flying from when I was younger to Florida for vacation. The plane did its normal routine going around the airfield and took off in a flash. You could really hear the engines roar. The plane got to its normal and steady altitude of 39,000 feet and we're ready to roll for approximately 8 hours of travel time. We were provided free entertainment such as movies, TV shows, music, and many more. We also received dinner and when we woke up the next morning, we had breakfast. Waking up in the middle of the night was worth it because I got to see many city lights which lit up all of the darkness which was quite the sight. In the morning we had our itinerary set, to seeing everything in Berlin first, then travel to Munich, but we would not be flying into Berlin though. We had to take a connecting flight, which relatively only took 1 hour to Fly across the whole country. Finally, landing in Berlin, we meet with our tour guide and director who was very kind and welcoming to us. We met with the rest of the group who were from New York and Washington. We headed into the city to reach our hotel, and we got to see some of the sights we would be visiting later on and get a glimpse of a different culture for the time. Being of German descent, I was happy to be in the country where most of my ancestors Lived for most of their lives until some later traveled over into the United States. We took the subway to the street which our Hotel was located at and finally were able to settle down. We were instructed to be back downstairs to make our trip back to the city center known as Alexanderplatz. After arriving in Alexanderplatz, we were given a brief tour of where some things were and to just have fun, look around and do anything we'd like. Of course I was ready to eat so the first thing I had to try was Bratwurst and taking the first bite was so delectable. Covered in sauerkraut the sausage was teeming with flavor. Nothing I've ever had before and something completely different from what is typical here in the U.S. like a hot dog . After that, we went around Berlin in small groups or as one whole group and went to special places Together. I saw Trains overhead, on the ground and of course below the ground. I went up into the tallest building in Berlin know as the Fernsehturm or Television Tower and saw all the sights around Berlin. We saw markets, churches, the zoo, museums, memorials such as the German War Memorial or the Holocaust memorial and many other things. The Berlin Wall and Brandenburg gate really caught my eye. We later learned the history of the Berlin Wall and saw where the wall had been completely taken down since there are bricks marking it. The Brandenburg gate also had a story to it as well and if you got close enough to it you could see white plaster that didn't match the whole structure itself. That's because it was where bullet holes were filled in and you could still see some smaller ones too. That was especially interesting to me. Graffiti is almost on every building you look at, even buildings that aren't even completely built yet. A fright not known to foreigners unless told so were the gypsies that hustled you if you weren't paying attention. Masterful pickpockets, they'd ask you to sign a petition and steal your phone and money without you even knowing it. This happen to me twice by a girl on the subway and another smaller child while we were in the marketplace. Luckily they didn't get anything from me. We were also treated to dinner every night we were there whether it was in Berlin or Munich. Midway through the trip we headed to Munich. We were supposed to take the train, but it was down for maintenance issues. Instead, we took a motor coach bus and spent the rest of the day riding to our next destination. On our way there, we stopped at a Convenience store for a bathroom/snack break. What a surprise! You had to pay to use the bathrooms. After we figured that part out, we realized that the ticket which printed was a coupon you could use in the store. I kept mine as a souvenir. We got to experience a little history in a town called Mödlareuth which was in the middle of nowhere but had a wall put up as a border through it over night, just like Berlin had. The town which consisted of about 50 people was divided in two. One side occupied by the Soviet Union and the other by the United States. Gun towers for both sides are still standing and part of the wall. The bus driver took a group photo of all of us standing on the tank that remains. Moving on, we went into Munich and arrived at the hotel. The next day, we went to Olympic Tower and the BMW Plant. A fun fact about the Olympic Stadium is that it was built out of monstrous crater that was left by the bombings of WWII. The BMW plant was really cool too. People buy there cars and on the day of delivery, they spend pretty much the whole day being trained about their new vehicle. Then they get to drive it out of the building past all the people watching them. The next day we went to Dachau. It was a very sobering experience. We saw replicas of where the prisoners slept, the bathrooms, and the death chambers. The original ovens are still there. What is Even worse is that they installed a second set of larger ovens to accommodate how many people died. Not all of them died in the death chambers. Some threw themselves at the electric fence and some deliberately ran onto the grass where they knew they Would be shot. A Memorial was erected for these people too. It was a surreal experience for me as my mom and I walked down the same path that hundreds of thousands of prisoners spent their last days living in such deplorable conditions. It made you hope that this would never happen again. The highlight of the day came as we went to Nymphenberg Palace and Park. We saw beautiful reflecting ponds with swans, statues of different gods, gardens everywhere, and lots of decorations that looked like they were solid gold. It was really Impressive and by far a happier way to spend the rest of the day. Each night when we got back to the hotel, my mom and I went the Aldi. I found Kinder Eggs. They are not allowed in the U.S. because when you bite into the chocolate egg, the center contains a toy. I think that Our group wiped out the stock of Kinder Eggs in that store. One of the pubs that we stopped at for dinner had a wide selection of beer. I was allowed to have a non-alcoholic one. It didn't taste that great, but I drank it anyway. I wanted to be able to say that I had a real German Beer. The final day we were in Munich, we went to Neuschwanstein Castle and Marienbruke bridge. Mind you that it was cold that day and we were wearing layers. There was still some snow on the ground and the Swiss Alps were still covered with snow. By the time we got to The top we had walked so much that we got really warm and had to start stripping off the layers. The castle was ostentatious! The walls were covered with tapestries, rich oil paintings and there was heavy furniture everywhere. Even the ceilings were covered. Ludwig II, the ruler It was built for, died early in the building process, so only 1/3 of it was completed. To this day it is only maintained and will probably never be completed. You are prohibited from taking pictures at all times even if you turn the flash off. We were told that if you were caught taking a picture, you would be required to leave the premises immediately. The next thing we did was hike to the bridge. Once in the middle, you could look over into a gorge which was quite the drop so when taking pictures, don't drop your camera. After it was over we took the trip Back down the mountain and back to the bus. We came back to the hotel and did a few things before night time and ate our last dinner. I'd say the final dinner was the best since it was a very tender beef cut and nice mashed potatoes. As well as a delicious apple turnover with Ice cream on top. They were also apparently famous for that dish as well. After dinner it would be our final night in Germany. In the morning around 8 a.m. we had breakfast, packed our bags in the taxi, said goodbye to our tour director and headed off to the autobahn in Munich where we reached 120 kph. Getting through the airport again we'll have a straight shot back to Philadelphia International and back home but we have to take another grueling 8 hour trips back of course. In the end, the time to destinations didn't matter and the waiting was worth It. We came out of the terminal were my Dad had greeted us and after getting our luggage in his truck we headed home having the memories fresh in our minds of a great trip experience and one I hope to not forget for a long time. I encourage others to go out and see different parts of the world because you might not know if that's the place you'll fall in love with forever.

The trip was so moving I had to write about it so I just thought about the things that happened to me and everything poured back into my memory.