The Impact on Native Americans | Teen Ink

The Impact on Native Americans

By afromgallafrey BRONZE, Rougemont, North Carolina
afromgallafrey BRONZE, Rougemont, North Carolina

The European settlers changed the Native American’s ways, and not always for the better. They did help them with tools and such, but they also brought over disease, and they killed the Native American’s crops, by letting their livestock roam wild. The Europeans were destructive and they didn’t take care of the land that was providing for them. They also tried to convert the Native Americans from their long lasting religion.

When the Europeans came, they brought diseases, that killed many Native Americans, and they even wiped some small tribes, clean off the map. One of the diseases that the Europeans brought, was Malaria. They first came in contact with this disease in Africa, where that had established trade. The  Natives there were immune to the disease, but the Europeans, and sadly, the Native Americans, were not. Some other diseases that came with the Europeans were smallpox, influenza, diphtheria, and whooping cough. Many of these diseases spread and killed many of the Natives and their tribes.

The Europeans killed and allowed their animals to eat the Native American’s crops, which had already been there before the Europeans came. The livestock often grazed and trampled over the Native’s land, while the Europeans stayed inside their houses. The Europeans often built a fence around their land to keep the livestock from eating their own crops, not bothering to protect the Natives on the land. They didn’t give back to the land.

The Europeans did bring the Natives some benefits though. For example, they brought tools and guns to help the Natives easily achieve their normally hard tasks. They often traded their tools and knowledge, for pelts and meat. But after the Europeans gave the Natives the tools, it went somewhat downhill. Due to all the trading and such, of beaver pelts, there was a shortage of resources, so many tribes began to fight. And what made all that worse, is that the Natives who usually fought with knives and spears made of rock, now had guns. This resulted in even more casualties than there originally were, and made the already small tribes even smaller.

The Europeans, in view, were mostly a bad influence to the Native Americans. They came in and took over their land. They also killed many through fighting, and plague. The Native American’s would have been better off without the Europeans coming to take their land. They made a majorly negative impact.