Journalism Realizations: A Newseum Experience | Teen Ink

Journalism Realizations: A Newseum Experience

June 21, 2015
By maddielee4718 BRONZE, Macon, Georgia
maddielee4718 BRONZE, Macon, Georgia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be the change you wish to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi


On the scene of an atrocity, who is one of the first persons to arrive, yet the last to be commended for their efforts as a first responder? Who is the victim we rarely remember? Who do we glance over as if they weren’t there yet depend on heavily? The answer is exceedingly simple: the journalist. The journalist goes on a quest for information no matter the danger, time, or place of the event, yet no one thinks of them.
After a very lengthy visit to the Newseum in Washington D.C, I became very aware of the sacrifices journalist make to provide people with information. The Newseum holds information on journalism and the role it played in American history. This museum houses several interesting and moving exhibits such as pieces of The Berlin Wall, Today’s Front Pages Gallery, The Journalist Memorial, and a 9/11 exhibit. I enjoyed every exhibit immensely for different reasons, but one that was very moving for me was the 9/11 exhibit.
I’ve never considered the idea that someone arriving on the spot of a major event could lose their life in the search of knowledge. I’ve read about, watched reports dedicated to, and listened to interviews of the men and women who rushed in to help victims, but never did I think about the person behind the camera. Even as an aspiring journalist the thought of a writer braving these dangers never crossed my mind! In this exhibit I read about journalist who rushed straight into ground zero without hesitation to inform the American people of what had just occurred. William Biggart was the only journalist who died in the 9/11 attacks while covering the attacks, yet I had never hear of his name until now this museum.
To me he embodies all the journalists who understand that their lives were on the line, but still rushed into the chaos for knowledge. While they may not save precious lives like the other responders, they give first hand coverage to scared, uninformed people.  In crowds of police and firefighters, those in search of knowledge and truth are quickly forgotten. Everyone watches the event on television and reads the papers, but no one stops to think about who’s behind the camera or whose pen recorded each word.
Information and records of major events in the world is a gift and a great need to mankind. The journalist braves the dangers and horrors as would any fireman, just for different reasons. Knowledge is a precious savior for those who have loved ones trapped in the thick of the action.